PDA

View Full Version : Ed Barlow

aardvark
9th May 2010, 09:43 PM
Ed Barlow should never be allowed to play in a swans uniform again. The Bloods of old would be turning in their graves.

Robbo
9th May 2010, 09:53 PM
Bit harsh but yeah he is probably done. We have given him plenty of time and he just hasn't turned into the player we hoped he would......just the way it goes sometimes.

Cya Ed.

Matt79
9th May 2010, 09:53 PM
He made some dreadful errors today. He seems to take 1 step forward, 2 steps back at times. That effort to tackle (I think Bartel) at one time was discraceful. Tissue paper would have put up a better defence.

He is still not good enough for senior selection.

aardvark
9th May 2010, 09:56 PM
I wonder if Gold Coast would be interested??

Matt79
9th May 2010, 09:58 PM

I don't think they actually have a netball team, so no.

Robbo
9th May 2010, 09:58 PM

I wouldn't of thought so.

aardvark
9th May 2010, 10:06 PM
I don't think they actually have a netball team, so no.
No self respecting netball team would have him. I love Roosy but what was he thinking?

giant
9th May 2010, 10:34 PM
MOD next time pls.

Industrial Fan
9th May 2010, 10:38 PM
MOD next time pls.It's hard to imagine a sandbag not being of more value on the field.

Big Al
9th May 2010, 10:45 PM
It's hard to imagine a sandbag not being of more value on the field.

A sandbag is a lot harder.

Peace
9th May 2010, 10:58 PM
i was about to make a thread just like this.

he is horrible, the heart is there but the skills are not. i came close to damaging my 52" lcd every time he touched the ball.

Triple B
9th May 2010, 10:59 PM
i came close to damaging my 52" lcd every time he touched the ball.

Just as well you had few opportunities.

Peace
9th May 2010, 11:02 PM
luckily each time my friends told me it wasnt worth it, just drink another beer.

Peace
9th May 2010, 11:03 PM
i shouldn't be alive right now.

Hartijon
9th May 2010, 11:09 PM
Exposed as a player not up to AFL standard today.Very soft at the ball and contested situations,poor handpassing,poor kicking to players(straight enough at goal),no awareness caught HTB or nearly caught with most posessions.....Please selectors,he is embarassing!

hot potato
9th May 2010, 11:40 PM
Threads like this from the mostly anonymous are very demeaning and hurtful to another human being. Some of our star players performed very poorly as well against the best team in the last quarter of a century.. The coaching staff, and in particular Roos would never stoop to it.
hp

Matt79
9th May 2010, 11:48 PM
Threads like this from the mostly anonymous are very demeaning and hurtful to another human being. Some of our star players performed very poorly as well against the best team in the last quarter of a century.. The coaching staff, and in particular Roos would never stoop to it.
hp

If a player is affected by what is written on a fan forum, they are too soft to be playing footy anyway. If a player can accept praise, then he can accept critisicm and after Barlow's display today...there is plenty to criticize!

aardvark
9th May 2010, 11:50 PM
Roosy said the same things in his press conference regarding Ed. He just said it nicely. Iv'e seen some pretty poor players in swans colours in over 50 years of watching but Ed takes the cake. He has NO feel for the game at all.

Cheer_Cheer
9th May 2010, 11:57 PM
Isn't somebody going to stand up for him ? Don't look at me.

Bas
10th May 2010, 12:00 AM
Was it that long ago the Barlow was being praised as the next Goodes? Now the next feather duster.

Triple B
10th May 2010, 12:19 AM
Roosy said the same things in his press conference regarding Ed. He just said it nicely. Iv'e seen some pretty poor players in swans colours in over 50 years of watching but Ed takes the cake. He has NO feel for the game at all.

Your memory is failing you. In the early 90's we had a dozen Ed Barlow's.

unconfuseme
10th May 2010, 12:22 AM
He has a polite and friendly demeanor!

aardvark
10th May 2010, 12:35 AM

Probably true BBB old age is a b**ch

Matty10
10th May 2010, 12:44 AM
It really is sad. We all want our players to be great footballers, and certainly nobody wants Barlow to fail, but for whatever reason he just keeps disappointing the fans. I don't know him personally, but he looks fragile (emotionally). He has a big frame, but never uses it. It seems like he gets despondent, rather than angry, when things don't go his way.

When he is was having trouble getting into the game, he still would have been useful if he had the mental fortitude to dig deep and use his body to have an impact on the game. Dive into a contest, shepherd, lay as many tackles as he could to, put his body on the line, bust a pack wide open. For whatever reason he just hasn't been that sort of player. I don't know if it is even possible for him to change, but he needs to become mean. We don't need another outside running player with poor skills and judgment.

Primmy
10th May 2010, 12:46 AM
I feel sorry for the bloke. He works hard off the ground to get himself in the best position to advance his afl career, but once on the ground it all goes to pot. The "it" factor is missing. Its sad.

mcs
10th May 2010, 12:52 AM
I'd love Barlow to prove to be a world beater, but the short and simple of it is he simply doesn't appear to be of AFL standard- he was rubbish today, and he just isn't anywhere near good enough to be playing at AFL level.

Young Blood
10th May 2010, 03:51 AM
It beats me how he was picked in the first place

Melbournehammer
10th May 2010, 07:00 AM
This is harsh and probably unfair. barlow is not in our top 22 but he took contested marks and competed. he was not alone in being badly outplayed - i dont remember seeing much from our dual brownlow medallist

Hartijon
10th May 2010, 07:17 AM
Goodsey was treated harshly by the umpires. did a perfect bmp to out body his opponent then marked the ball and got it taken off him.Then he seemed to play over the top getting caught for HTB. Don't compare him to Barlow in any way ,shape or form! Goodsey at his worst is more value than Barlow.Maybe look at how the coach used him when we were getting killed at the stoppages and at fullback

Melbournehammer
10th May 2010, 07:36 AM
and you dont think Barlow was harshly treated ? First time he gets the ball he has three geelong players tackle him before he goes a step and is done for htb ! I thnk it is a pretty easy comparison - one player is our best and often tries to make things happen - but somtimes tries too much- was anonymous. The other is not in our best 22 and actually led up and was beaten - but didn't hide and took the ball (including getting pinged for htb when kennelly gave it to him in a nowhere position). To say Barlow had a poor game is easy - but it lets off the hook a lot of other players who are supposed to be stars who were also thrashed on the day.

And yes Goodes may have been moved around - but he simply couldn't get into it. At the stoppages he did nothing. In defence he did nothing. Sometimes that happens

Snake
10th May 2010, 08:23 AM
Once I heard on the radio that LRT was out and Barlow was going to replace him, I thougt yep swans will get whipped. Catter Thompson was probably smiling with glee and simply knew that he could expose him.

Last year I made a comment about him being deadset rubbish, and basically he still is.........

bondy
10th May 2010, 08:32 AM
It makes me sad that he got picked over Bevan, Vespremi etc etc. Hyph for Barlow was a terrible exchange.

Yuri H
10th May 2010, 08:40 AM
Poor Ed. I hate to pile on, but ... yeah. Maybe we can give him to GWS as a Trojan Hors- errr, housewarming present.

goswannie14
10th May 2010, 08:41 AM
Your memory is failing you. In the early 90's we had a dozen Ed Barlow's.We also had plenty of them in the early 70's.

Jeffers1984
10th May 2010, 08:53 AM
Butter...

ScottH
10th May 2010, 09:04 AM
I wondered if he was colour blind??
Someone should've told him the difference was easy, hoops v Vs

CJK
10th May 2010, 10:16 AM
I've seen better.

Molly dooker
10th May 2010, 10:21 AM
I have so wanted Ed to come to the fore, he has height, he kills it in running, he has been coached and pushed for years now and sometimes in the Ressies he shines. Yesterday unfortunately he came out to play against Geelong for his first game of the season and it just showed how far away he is from our best 22. If we played him in a game like Richmond we'd possibly be singing his praises but that didn't happen. I wish him the best but I don't think he's going to cut it, the cheese that is. There were opportunities where I was willing him to chase and use his speed to catch an opponent, he didn't lift his workrate, he looked beaten.

Poor love, I do feel sorry for him however this isn't a popularity contest it's football and hindsight is 20/20 as we all know and in retrospect calling Ed up was a mistake.

Primmy
10th May 2010, 12:07 PM
I have so wanted Ed to come to the fore, he has height, he kills it in running, he has been coached and pushed for years now and sometimes in the Ressies he shines. Yesterday unfortunately he came out to play against Geelong for his first game of the season and it just showed how far away he is from our best 22. If we played him in a game like Richmond we'd possibly be singing his praises but that didn't happen. I wish him the best but I don't think he's going to cut it, the cheese that is. There were opportunities where I was willing him to chase and use his speed to catch an opponent, he didn't lift his workrate, he looked beaten.

Poor love, I do feel sorry for him however this isn't a popularity contest it's football and hindsight is 20/20 as we all know and in retrospect calling Ed up was a mistake.

I agree with all of what you said Molly, you just want to push him to have peripheral vision, go into contested situations with abandon, be able to read the play and get to contests, etc etc etc. But it just isn't happening.
However, who else would they have called on at this stage.....they had him as emergency, and the other possible MOD wouldn't have been suitable either....... Big Unit required at very short notice, and LJ is still 12-18 months away.... However the PTB persist with him, he is a nice bloke, classic dry sense of humour, and I hope it all comes together, but somehow in my lurking bones I don't think so.....

aardvark
10th May 2010, 12:26 PM
Ed was never going to play as a key backman and his inclusion didn't free up anyone else to play there. At least MOD could have gone to pods and probably done a better job than teddy.
Probably wouldn't have made much difference either way in the end.

johnno
10th May 2010, 12:32 PM
I really do hate hanging crap on our players, I really have wanted Ed to do well, he's been with us for a while now and unfortunatley I have to agree with many posters here, the boy is just not up to it. A bit too soft to be playing AFL seniors. I dont know how he goes in the ressies, but he's not cut out for the seniors....sorry Ed.

Plugger46
10th May 2010, 12:33 PM

Exactly. Ed would have been one of our better players during that period.

Plugger1300
10th May 2010, 12:38 PM
Agree with 95% of posts. He was caught with the ball fart too many times. Might be a nice guy but not an AFL footballer, hopefully that was his last outing in the red and white

snajik
10th May 2010, 01:35 PM
Never been too keen on this style of thread. i've seen Ed play some good games. It's true that yesterday wasn't one of them. It was a tough assignment and not a good day to be off your game against a very ruthless Cats outfit. That it was his first seniors game for the year didn't help. Hard to find your groove against a team with such talent on top of its game. It was a pretty complete game from the Cats. Still he wasn't the only one that looked all at sea. Geelong's relentless pressure made a number of Bloods look ordinary yesterday. There are deficiencies in Ed's game that need to be addressed, but I'm not giving up on him just yet.

Big Al
10th May 2010, 01:44 PM
Geelong's relentless pressure made a number of Bloods look ordinary yesterday. There are deficiencies in Ed's game that need to be addressed, but I'm not giving up on him just yet.

It's refreshing to see supporters supporting players in their time of need regardless of how hopeless the situation is. ;)

Big Al
10th May 2010, 01:45 PM
Agree with 95% of posts. He was caught with the ball fart too many times. Might be a nice guy but not an AFL footballer, hopefully that was his last outing in the red and white

Could be why he played so badly. Those curries before a game are never a good idea.

reigning premier
10th May 2010, 02:44 PM
It's refreshing to see supporters supporting players in their time of need regardless of how hopeless the situation is. ;)

Or how hopeless the player is.......

But he wasn't alone in being god awful yesterday. There was about ten players in red and white yesterday that should be embarassed by their efforts.

Hartijon
10th May 2010, 02:57 PM
Or how hopeless the player is.......

But he wasn't alone in being god awful yesterday. There was about ten players in red and white yesterday that should be embarassed by their efforts.
So who can hold their head up high? Kirk,Kennelly,Kennedy (I have had to eat my words on him!),Jack,Shaw, Goodes for 1/2 game.,Mummy ,Pyke,Mcveigh,Rohan (did ok), White,O'Keefe,Smith
Head down? Moore, Mattner,Teddy,Barlow, Jetta?, Bradshaw(not his fault) Bolton,Grundy?

I only get 8.

Plugger46
10th May 2010, 04:06 PM
I thought Jetta had a crack for most of the day. OK, he turned it over a bit but at least he got the pill a bit.

Red
10th May 2010, 04:16 PM
Poor Ed. We can be a brutal lot here and I'm not going to add to his misery.

I just wonder, if they knew on Friday that LRT was 50/50, why they didn't take Playfair down as the emergency tall?

Mikenroe
10th May 2010, 04:28 PM
Amen

Lucky Knickers
10th May 2010, 04:28 PM
Poor Ed. We can be a brutal lot here and I'm not going to add to his misery.

I just wonder, if they knew on Friday that LRT was 50/50, why they didn't take Playfair down as the emergency tall?

I'm assuming that you are in Melbourne and haven't watched too much of the reserves otherwise you wouldn't be asking that question. Barlow > Playfair IMO
I didn't think Mattner was too bad. Not a happy day when you have a fired up Varcoe and Chapman to contend with alongside everyone else.
Geelong took advantage of an undermanned Swans defence. I don't think switching Barlow for anyone else in the ressies would have made an iota of difference or altered the outcome. We were soundly beaten across the ground at every match up. We were second to the ball, the boys didn't get to the contest and left too many players one alone and without support at the contest. We panicked going forward and left our forwards without the ability to force a contest by bombing it in long. Geelong outnumbered us at EVERY contest. That's the most disappointing thing to me is we just weren't switched on and hunting the ball like we have done.
Was there one match up we won?

reigning premier
10th May 2010, 04:33 PM
So who can hold their head up high? Kirk,Kennelly,Kennedy (I have had to eat my words on him!),Jack,Shaw, Goodes for 1/2 game.,Mummy ,Pyke,Mcveigh,Rohan (did ok), White,O'Keefe,Smith
Head down? Moore, Mattner,Teddy,Barlow, Jetta?, Bradshaw(not his fault) Bolton,Grundy?

I only get 8.

Not trying hard enough.......

Mummy was pretty ordinary. McVeigh was missing for most of the game. Goodes turned it over just about each time he got the ball. Grundy got beatebn by Pods. Smith was towelled up by Chapman. As far as I can see, the only 4 that played a decent game were Jack, Shaw, Kennelly & Eski. The rest were all beaten.

giant
10th May 2010, 04:34 PM
I'm assuming that you are in Melbourne and haven't watched too much of the reserves otherwise you wouldn't be asking that question. Barlow > Playfair IMO
I didn't think Mattner was too bad. Not a happy day when you have a fired up Varcoe and Chapman to contend with alongside everyone else.
Geelong took advantage of an undermanned Swans defence. I don't think switching Barlow for anyone else in the ressies would have made an iota of difference or altered the outcome. We were soundly beaten across the ground at every match up. We were second to the ball, the boys didn't get to the contest and left too many players one alone and without support at the contest. We panicked going forward and left our forwards without the ability to force a contest by bombing it in long. Geelong outnumbered us at EVERY contest. That's the most disappointing thing to me is we just weren't switched on and hunting the ball like we have done.

Smith on Johnson excluding junk-time, at a pinch Grundy on Mooney. Otherwise, I agree totally.

reigning premier
10th May 2010, 04:35 PM

+1....

Barlow wasn't the reason we lost. He just stood out for being the blondest of all or spuds....

Triple B
10th May 2010, 05:12 PM
Smith was towelled up by Chapman.....

I'll admit I only had the TV coverage to go off, but Smith looked to be on SJ for at least 90% of the game.

Plugger46
10th May 2010, 05:18 PM
I'll admit I only had the TV coverage to go off, but Smith looked to be on SJ for at least 90% of the game.

Yeah, that's what I saw at the ground.

T-bag
10th May 2010, 05:23 PM
He's shocking. I agree. Well not shocking, but not AFL grade.

10th May 2010, 05:26 PM
I have been such a strong supporter of Ed just wanting him to get it to click and make use of his assets but on yesterday's showing (notwithstanding that the team was under extreme pressure all day) I now worry that Ed just may not be of AFL standard.

I'd like to be wrong but finally I think reality is setting in for me.

I thought Smith did a fair job on Johnson.

T-bag
10th May 2010, 05:29 PM
Exposed as a player not up to AFL standard today.Very soft at the ball and contested situations,poor handpassing,poor kicking to players(straight enough at goal),no awareness caught HTB or nearly caught with most posessions.....Please selectors,he is embarassing!

Would have to be the slowest hands in the league

Bloody Hell
10th May 2010, 05:33 PM
Tough to play no senior footy then get dropped in it against the Cats at Skilled.

That said -
Marks for Ed Barlow the athlete - 89
Marks for Ed Barlow the Footballer - 0

Red
10th May 2010, 06:02 PM
You assume correctly Lucky. I'm just going off RWO stats that show Playfair is leading the goalkicking in the ressies, so must be in reasonable form.

That of course doesn't mean he can slot into defence. But at a ground he'd be very familiar with, I suspect he'd have been a better KP option.

bondy
10th May 2010, 06:53 PM
I particularly enjoyed when he finally led strongly and marked clean on the wing, then turned around, waited, and kicked perfectly to the only Geelong player in a sea of red and white.

Never again please.

swanspant12
10th May 2010, 07:06 PM
Get rid of this dud. Right now. Before i break the screen.

ScottH
10th May 2010, 08:55 PM
I thought Jetta had a crack for most of the day. OK, he turned it over a bit but at least he got the pill a bit.

I think he also had his worst kick of the year too!!
That was a shocker.

MadCanuck
10th May 2010, 08:56 PM
Tough to play no senior footy then get dropped in it against the Cats at Skilled.

That said -
Marks for Ed Barlow the athlete - 89
Marks for Ed Barlow the Footballer - 0

Think Cheese can play ruck?

Old Royboy
10th May 2010, 09:13 PM
There was a (very loud) voice in the standing room behind the goals telling Barlow to go back to Bega and NEVER come back. Sorry, guilty as charged.

Big Al
10th May 2010, 09:49 PM
There was a (very loud) voice in the standing room behind the goals telling Barlow to go back to Bega and NEVER come back. Sorry, guilty as charged.

Why couldn't the MRP look at Barlow. Then again that would require being hard at the contest wouldn't it.

hammo
10th May 2010, 09:52 PM
Unless we have a major injury crisis I don't think Cheese will play another game for the Swans.

sidswan
10th May 2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry to ruin everyone's fanciful thoughts on substituting Barlow with Payfair or MOD, but they were WOEFUL on Saturday, perhaps the harsh truth is that Barlow was considered the best of a bad lot!

ShockOfHair
10th May 2010, 10:15 PM
I'd be almost give Barlow a pass because a lot of other players were kept quiet yesterday. But no excuse for that turnover. It didn't go unnoticed:

Late replacement Ed Barlow's day - and career - was encapsulated by a 15-second cameo when he took a strong mark, then carelessly turned it over.

Toughest test yet a bruiser as Cats bring Swans down to earth (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/toughest-test-yet-a-bruiser-as-cats-bring-swans-down-to-earth-20100509-uluf.html)

liz
11th May 2010, 01:08 AM
Sorry to ruin everyone's fanciful thoughts on substituting Barlow with Payfair or MOD, but they were WOEFUL on Saturday, perhaps the harsh truth is that Barlow was considered the best of a bad lot!

Did MOD play? Given the report that LRT was showing signs of hamstring problems at training on Friday, I'd kinda assumed they went to Geelong with two travelling emergencies.

Over all the reserves games I've watched this year, I think MOD has been comfortably the best overall. He was tagged heavily a couple of weeks ago and struggled to get into it before half-time but worked hard and had an impact in the second half. In other games he's varied between very good and very very good (which might be why he was tagged so heavily in that one game).

Primmy
11th May 2010, 04:59 PM
Don't disagree with you Liz in your summation of MOD. I presume size was the catalyst for Ed's call up to the Show. Or a brain fart.

Sadly I think that may have been his last harrah. Bugger it!!! He should be SOOOOO much better. All that effort. Still so little result. Why!

The coaches can see something obviously, but are we that thick that we can't see it? Or is it all potential and wayyyy too much Jane for the Tarzan factor?

I dunno. I am so disappointed - in him and for him. Or am I overstating everything and I have got it all wrong. Someone tell me.

hot potato
11th May 2010, 11:25 PM
Dont give up Ed, get those hands working man, AFL is five times faster than the ressies, like I've been blogging to Jessica Watson for 7 months,
YOU CAN DO IT!!.
Like LRT (the coaching staff were extremely patient with him and RWO were NOT) it looks like you will get some more chances the way the team is falling to bits plus the tribunal.

hp

Bloody Hell
11th May 2010, 11:30 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... no?:confused:
Think Cheese can play ruck?

nomae
11th May 2010, 11:52 PM
Grundy got beatebn by Pods.

from what im aware grundy played on mooney, very well at that too. he must be leading the b&f.

richards was on pods, and was embarrassed. (jumped out of a contest, leading straight to a goal in the third quarter.)

and smith tried his heart out on johnson. (by the way does anyone else despise 'stevie j'?)

cant wait to have hannebery back - a blonde kid who doesnt turn the ball over!

Matty10
12th May 2010, 12:41 AM
from what im aware grundy played on mooney, very well at that too. he must be leading the b&f. richards was on pods, and was embarrassed. (jumped out of a contest, leading straight to a goal in the third quarter.) and smith tried his heart out on johnson. (by the way does anyone else despise 'stevie j'?) cant wait to have hannebery back - a blonde kid who doesnt turn the ball over!

I don't think that is technically right - the back line constantly switched players against Geelong (and were, as a unit, beaten under severe pressure).

I replayed the first half today and there were a few times where Pods led Grundy to the ball (and another instance where the commentators said that Grundy would be embarrassed by his effort in letting Pods get an easy goal in the 1st qtr), at other times Richards was following him around - and other times also when they were on Mooney or Hawkins (with Kennelly often on the third tall).

Grundy had reasonable run from defence and his link up work was pretty good, but as a defender there was nothing too great to be said.

Jesse Richards
12th May 2010, 01:00 AM
Barlow was doing fine until he got injured. Another long term casualty. That's reason for sadness, rather than anger.

unconfuseme
12th May 2010, 01:45 AM
Let's look at this in perspective!

We were due for a let down, been going too good! (when has Roos ever had a team 5 & 1 ...?)

So we got belted at the "Cattery" ... just like everyone else in living memory!

Geelong were too good for us, and probably will be too good for everyone, for another season or so.

However ...

We had a few injuries

We are on the way up (whereas, they can't get much better!)

We will bounce back, and these players all need the experience of playing games like that ... respectfully, they learn nothing playing in Canberra

We have a young exciting group, and Barlow is part of it ... still young and only played 26 games ... I hope he bounces back and reaches his potential

Wazza
12th May 2010, 06:23 PM
I don't think that is technically right - the back line constantly switched players against Geelong (and were, as a unit, beaten under severe pressure).

I replayed the first half today and there were a few times where Pods led Grundy to the ball (and another instance where the commentators said that Grundy would be embarrassed by his effort in letting Pods get an easy goal in the 1st qtr), at other times Richards was following him around - and other times also when they were on Mooney or Hawkins (with Kennelly often on the third tall).

Grundy had reasonable run from defence and his link up work was pretty good, but as a defender there was nothing too great to be said.

Agree with your comments and wanted to throw in how many times Grundy "lost" his feet during the game and ended up on the turf, seemed to take an eternity get up tends to spectate for a few seconds.

Cheers

waz

Melbournehammer
12th May 2010, 06:40 PM
Agree with your comments and wanted to throw in how many times Grundy "lost" his feet during the game and ended up on the turf, seemed to take an eternity get up tends to spectate for a few seconds.

Cheers

waz

I noticed that too. There was one incident in the first quarter which exemplified it for me where grundy tackled his opponent both went to ground but grundy on its face was in a better position to get to the next contest - but lo and behold his opponent put three metres on him received a handpass and (maybe) goaled - i remember yelling uncontrollably (that desire passed as the game went on)

Cheese
12th May 2010, 10:11 PM
Hi, I rarely post on RWO, but read quite often. Just wanted to make a comment as I have no other way of expressing my anger. I went down to Skilled Stadium on Sunday and watched as we where shown a lesson or two, sitting in the cheer squad for the first and last time due to the following:

-A certain supporter who constantly made irrelevent comments and complained about every single free kick geelong got. also claiming that chapman was on steroids whenever he got near the ball, plus no matter what barlow did she would complain about him, then just say that if we had so and so playing we wouldve smashed them.

this is just a small taste, these comments lasted for the full game, sitting next to her was the most frusterating thing and reminded me why i dont go to the football often. the last time i went I had a similar situation however, it was a hawthorn supporter yelling sniper whenever Goodes went near the ball. must admit this sydney supporter was 20 times worse. Learn how to be gallant in defeat and not make unsubstantiated comments, imagine how Chapman mother would be feeling if she was around, if it annoys me this much how much would it annoy her.

Finally lay off Barlow, to have a majority of supporters groaning and complaining whenever he goes near the ball cannot help his confidence. Just give the guy time and trust in Roos'.

Finally, just a quick point did anyone know that Josh Kennedy and Nick Smith played at the same junior club in the same year level. Due to their skill, they where seperated into different teams at the same club and whoever of those two played better against each other there team would win the flag.

cheersquadsteve
12th May 2010, 10:59 PM
Barlow was not alone in being poo, yet he was clearly the biggest poo of them all and thus should never ever play senior football again, his skills are not AFL standard nor is his decision making either, there was one moment in the final term, the game was long gone cheese with the ball running out of our attacking 50 with o'keefe free about 60 meters from goal yet he some how managed to stuff it up, we actually saw o'keefe laugh at this poor guys COMPLETE LACK OF SKILL AND AWARENESS

never ever again

chalbilto
12th May 2010, 11:34 PM
I have been following this thread and this quote by a poster on another forum sums up the frustration and dissapointment that I and other supporters have felt regards Ed.

"Barlow is soooo frustrating. He's tall (194cm), big and strong (96kg), athletic (regularly wins the 3km time trials) and is a pretty good kick. With all those blessed attributes, he should be a dominant footballer. However for all his physical gifts, he lacks football nous. He lacks intensity at the contests and can be caught ball watching at times, doesn't go full pelt when the ball is in dispute and panics under pressure. I'd rather have a player who isn't as athletic or big (e.g. Jarred Moore) but who has footy smarts than Barlow in the side."

Jewels
13th May 2010, 11:32 AM
Hi, I rarely post on RWO, but read quite often. Just wanted to make a comment as I have no other way of expressing my anger. I went down to Skilled Stadium on Sunday and watched as we where shown a lesson or two, sitting in the cheer squad for the first and last time due to the following:

-A certain supporter who constantly made irrelevent comments and complained about every single free kick geelong got. also claiming that chapman was on steroids whenever he got near the ball, plus no matter what barlow did she would complain about him, then just say that if we had so and so playing we wouldve smashed them.

this is just a small taste, these comments lasted for the full game, sitting next to her was the most frusterating thing and reminded me why i dont go to the football often. the last time i went I had a similar situation however, it was a hawthorn supporter yelling sniper whenever Goodes went near the ball. must admit this sydney supporter was 20 times worse. Learn how to be gallant in defeat and not make unsubstantiated comments, imagine how Chapman mother would be feeling if she was around, if it annoys me this much how much would it annoy her.

Finally lay off Barlow, to have a majority of supporters groaning and complaining whenever he goes near the ball cannot help his confidence. Just give the guy time and trust in Roos'.

Finally, just a quick point did anyone know that Josh Kennedy and Nick Smith played at the same junior club in the same year level. Due to their skill, they where seperated into different teams at the same club and whoever of those two played better against each other there team would win the flag.

I agree with your Chapman comments, he is an amazing footballer and does not deserve derision of any sort, but as far as your Barlow comments go, you're way off.
You say yourself that you don't get to games often, so you can't understand the frustration that most of us suffer, particularly those that watch the ressies, feel with him. We constantly read how he trains the house down, wins the time trials, does all these spectacular things when not in a game situation, so we get all excited (not myself personally, I gave up long ago), then two mins into a game and the disappointment comes on cause it's the same old Ed.
He's been given plenty of time and enough chances, I think he blew it on Sunday.

I have been following this thread and this quote by a poster on another forum sums up the frustration and dissapointment that I and other supporters have felt regards Ed.

"Barlow is soooo frustrating. He's tall (194cm), big and strong (96kg), athletic (regularly wins the 3km time trials) and is a pretty good kick. With all those blessed attributes, he should be a dominant footballer. However for all his physical gifts, he lacks football nous. He lacks intensity at the contests and can be caught ball watching at times, doesn't go full pelt when the ball is in dispute and panics under pressure. I'd rather have a player who isn't as athletic or big (e.g. Jarred Moore) but who has footy smarts than Barlow in the side."

Yep, perfectly describes him.

ugg
13th May 2010, 11:45 AM

Great post, I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

wearebloods
13th May 2010, 04:32 PM
After careful consideration & meditation, I'm going to join the Barlow bandwagon....he's on the list until the end of the year, no point bagging him any more....he may even come good even if it means an end of season trade to Carlton

Primmy
13th May 2010, 05:06 PM
After careful consideration & meditation, I'm going to join the Barlow bandwagon....he's on the list until the end of the year, no point bagging him any more....he may even come good even if it means an end of season trade to Carlton

(five)

wearebloods
13th May 2010, 06:02 PM
(five)Sorry Primmy the dream is over :frown :p

Quiet_Observer
13th May 2010, 06:38 PM
Seems they set the bar low to let him into the team last week. (Apologies for the corny joke and if it has been used before)

monopoly19
13th May 2010, 08:36 PM
What a frustrating player to watch. I'm sure he's trying, but nothing he shows on the field really reflects that. At least with players like Bevan and LRT (both have copped their fair share of criticism here over the years) you can trust that they will go hard at the contest. I hope he sorts himself in the next few months.

Primmy
13th May 2010, 09:45 PM
Seems they set the bar low to let him into the team last week. (Apologies for the corny joke and if it has been used before)

No, I'll accept that, its a pretty fair pun.

giant
14th May 2010, 09:16 AM

20 posts in 6 years and you've been hiding this sort of gold? More, dammit, more!!