PDA

View Full Version : Kids shine through

aardvark
22nd May 2010, 06:32 PM
Hannebury, Rohan, Smith, Jack, Heath, Kennedy, Jetta, all looked good at times today. Just need some KP players to go with them. Bright spot on a gloomy day.

Melbourne_Blood
22nd May 2010, 06:39 PM
Particularly Rohan. What a player he's going to be ! Jets first half was poor but his second half made up for it.

Hanners has been close to our most consistent player this year IMO.

liz
22nd May 2010, 06:40 PM
Hopefully that was a bit of a breakthrough game for Rohan. Suspect his stats aren't that flash but put on some terrific pressure in the forward line, got to the right place more often than in his first two games, and loved the way he just bounced up after being crunched head on in the dying moments.

Jetta's first half was pretty ordinary but he lifted after half-time with the rest of the team and was quite an effective player. Love the way he can gather the ball in one hand off the ground while building up a head of steam.

Hanners made a few skills errors but was one of our better midfielders. Shows all the signs that he will become a terrific player.

Will probably need to subject myself to a TV replay of the game to appreciate the contributions of the others, though that was an impressive goal conversion from Smith from a difficult angle.

swansrule100
22nd May 2010, 06:42 PM
the kids performance is exciting for the future, but frustrating at the same time. We needed a lot more from our players at the peak age.

satchmopugdog
22nd May 2010, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=liz;48719

Will probably need to subject myself to a TV replay of the game to appreciate the contributions of the others [/QUOTE]

Don't do it Liz...don't do it.

aardvark
22nd May 2010, 06:44 PM
Smiths job on Steven Hill was outstanding. He was probably our only clear winner on the day.

satchmopugdog
22nd May 2010, 06:45 PM
Smiths job on Steven Hill was outstanding. He was probably our only clear winner on the day.

That is the third week in arow that has been said

Yuri H
22nd May 2010, 06:47 PM
Sitting there down low in the dreary rain today, that was the one bright spot - watching some of the young 'uns (Rohan especially) going determinedly at it.

BSA5
22nd May 2010, 08:17 PM
Best thing about Rohan is that if you give him another preseason or so and hopefully another centimetre or two in growth, he could be genuine KPF size. Won't necessarily need to use him in that position, but with his speed on the lead.... Or, he could become a key defender. Closing speed on the lead, spark on the rebound, could be a faster version of Scarlett!

redhugh2525
22nd May 2010, 08:29 PM
A dormant display of running football today from the swans! Freo took the game on and moved the ball quickly into there forward line to score at will.
Good effort from Gary Rohan but we miss Bird, Meredith and Pat Vesprem

Kirkari
22nd May 2010, 08:30 PM
Hanners, Smith, Rohan, in that order, then the rest of the young 'uns. So exciting, but wish the seniors had been there to help!

ScottH
22nd May 2010, 08:58 PM
Rohan certainly stood out today. One thing I've noticed in each of his games, some of his quick handballs are too wuick, and his team mates aren't expecting the ball.
But I was impressed with his efforts today.

Primmy
22nd May 2010, 09:01 PM
He's a gem isn't he Scott. I was v ery pleased with the kids today. Didn't think Cambo disgraced himself. I do worry about Jetta tho. Gets the ball, and stuffs the disposal.....thoughts?

Have to add Smith to the mix....he is a relief to me to have on the team.

Big Al
22nd May 2010, 09:05 PM
Hannebury, Rohan, Smith, Jack, Heath, Kennedy, Jetta, all looked good at times today. Just need some KP players to go with them. Bright spot on a gloomy day.

(clap)

The only highlight on a very ordinary day. Rohan and Jetta proved to me today that they are genuine AFL footballers.

ScottH
22nd May 2010, 09:08 PM
He's a gem isn't he Scott. I was v ery pleased with the kids today. Didn't think Cambo disgraced himself. I do worry about Jetta tho. Gets the ball, and stuffs the disposal.....thoughts?

Yep, Heath did a few good things, could've capped his debut off with a nice goal, but, wasn't to be.

mcs
22nd May 2010, 10:53 PM
Very happy with the young players tonight, they showed up many of our far more experienced players. jetta imo just needs to get that elusive goal- just watch him go when it finally happens. Rohan was very good today- I really like what I see from him. Hanners has been close to our most consistent player all year, and he continues to show that he is a classy player in the making.

The two others I am stoked about are the not quite so young- Jack and Smith. Jack we always have known has had the quality to be a good player, but imo he has taken another step up this year. Nick Smith has been fantastic the last three weeks and is quickly establishing his place in the team.

I really like what these young players are offering us already, can't wait till they have some more experience under their belt, espeically Mr Rohan and Mr Jetta.

aardvark
22nd May 2010, 11:42 PM
I thought Kennedy was good towards the end of the game again. At one stage late in the game there were Kennedy Jack Hanners and Smith in the Midfield and it had a real nice look about it

bondy
22nd May 2010, 11:49 PM
I was really impressed by Rohan. He's proving that he's not afraid of contested ball and is looking to win his own. Showed some nice skills today too. My girlfriend thought he was close to Swans BOG. He's so quick at at the ball.

Smith has surely cemented his place in the team. Another great outing.

Mountain Man
23rd May 2010, 03:20 AM
" At one stage late in the game there were Kennedy Jack Hanners and Smith in the Midfield and it had a real nice look about it ".

Bird will also have a place hopefully soon in the 22.

What comments from people at the game on how Kirk and Bolton are being used - midfield together?; only one on ground at a time?; Bolton forward most of the time? I wonder whether their time is nearer than we would like to think.

Matt79
23rd May 2010, 10:54 AM
Both were fantastic yesterday and were standouts in trying to get us back into the game in the 2nd half.

I was particularly impressed with Rohan's 2nd and 3rd efforts and his ability to keep his feet even when being confronted by more physically abled opposition.

Keep it up lads!

cruiser
23rd May 2010, 11:04 AM
I agree Matt. Like many here I was also starting to think that Jetta may need a spell in the 2's, but not on that blistering performance yesterday. Rohan looks like a future champion in the making.

ScottH
23rd May 2010, 12:37 PM
Rohan was outstanding for a 3rd gamer.

Peace
23rd May 2010, 12:51 PM
they were fantastic to watch. was sitting in the ladies stand when rohan absolutely bolted off the ground, he is quick!!!

but seriously is jetta setting a record for how many behinds someone has scored before their first goal in afl??? hahaha poor kid.

swansrule100
23rd May 2010, 01:17 PM
jetta finally played in the right position. I just feel that first goal will be the start of something special for him, someone give him a handball over the top into the goal square early next week please.

Peace
23rd May 2010, 01:22 PM
jetta finally played in the right position. I just feel that first goal will be the start of something special for him, someone give him a handball over the top into the goal square early next week please.

did anyone notice his 60m odd torp in the last quarer, pouring rain rebounding out of defence on the eastern wing and absolutely pumped it to our 50m line.

dimelb
23rd May 2010, 01:56 PM
Played strong, done fine. (Apologies to Jack Gibson)

Jesse Richards
23rd May 2010, 02:03 PM
did anyone notice his 60m odd torp in the last quarer, pouring rain rebounding out of defence on the eastern wing and absolutely pumped it to our 50m line.

Yes, and it looked effortless. Dare I say silky smooth?

Triple B
23rd May 2010, 02:08 PM
I also noticed some absolute scrubbers from him as well.

It was a strange performance from Jetstar. I'd have been happy to see him spend a few weeks recharging the batteries in the 2's for the past few weeks, yet yesterday he put in probably his finest half of footy for us in the 2nd half. He also coupled it with probably his worst performance disposal wise. He's kicking skills were sublime earlier in the year, but yesterday he was very ordinary in that department.

IrishSwanPerth
23rd May 2010, 02:18 PM
Jack was excellent

waterfowl
23rd May 2010, 02:25 PM
It was a strange performance from Jetstar. I'd have been happy to see him spend a few weeks recharging the batteries in the 2's for the past few weeks, yet yesterday he put in probably his finest half of footy for us in the 2nd half. He also coupled it with probably his worst performance disposal wise. He's kicking skills were sublime earlier in the year, but yesterday he was very ordinary in that department.

Agree, but slippery yesterday.

Bas
23rd May 2010, 02:32 PM
Played strong, done fine. (Apologies to Jack Gibson)

It was played strong done good.

Some other quotes from Jack Gibson, snipped from the Unofficial Bulldogs (League) Supporter site - The Kennel:

Played strong, done good
One of his most famous lines.

'Ding Dong the witch is dead'
Gibson quotes the title of the song from The Wizard of Oz at the start of his post-game speech to fans after his Parramatta Eels side win the club their first-ever Australian Rugby League premiership title in 1981 after thirty four years in the competition. Gibson then promptly ended the speech and went back to his celebrating players.

He's getting closer.
When Mal Meninga had missed a succession of penalty goal attempts during the second Ashes Test in 1984 and another chance hit the upright.

He is about as big as Clive Churchill was when he played and he owns an ugly dog.
When asked about the weaknesses of his former Parramatta charge Paul Taylor.

I think he must have an egg-timer - every four minutes, he blows the whistle.
On Queensland referee Barry Gomersall.

In football, if you are standing still, you're going backwards fast.

Kick it to the seagulls!
Gibson shows his passion for constant innovation in his coaching.
Gibson told a young Peter Sterling to kick the ball into open spaces rather than into the opposition's hands at the end of his team's set of six tackles in possession; seagulls often congregate on empty spaces on sports fields in Australia.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.
Gibson often put trust above pure playing ability when selecting teams.

That guy is so quick, he can switch off the light and get into bed before the room is dark.
Gibson making an assessment on fast winger Andrew Ettingshausen during his summary of a match on television.

The use of video evidence is not always conclusive, but it sure beats the memory bank of most witnesses.
Gibson is a massive supporter of modern technology being used in top-grade Rugby League to clear up any decisions that the match referee may not be able to adjudicate on definitively.

There is nothing in the contract that says a football coach has to be sane or a good loser.
Jack on the the science of coaching.

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
One of his favourite sayings.

They'd boo Santa Claus, this mob.
On the Lang Park crowd during a State of Origin series.

They all seem to limp a little extra when they are replaced.
After a player was replaced during the 1984 Origin series.

Waiting for Cronulla to win a premiership is like leaving the porch lamp on for Harold Holt.
Gibson on Cronulla Sharks' long premiership drought.

'The Last Word' by Jack Gibson (with Ian Heads)
The game today is entirely different to when I played. But I still think it's pretty smart. Maybe the biggest change lies in the simple fact that if you're a bit slow today, mentally or physically, you're not going to survive.

'Played Tough, Done Good' by Jack Gibson
To win a championship, you've got to have a nucleus of five or six real tough, hard competitors. To win anything, the team's got to think tough and that infiltrates into the individual. You've got to have a tough leader.
The big test in football is how a captain leads under conditions of adversity.

Unsourced
The day that God invented Rugby League he didn't do anything else but sit around and feel good.

dimelb
23rd May 2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks for setting me straight. I am happy to have provoked all that!

Nich
24th May 2010, 03:01 PM
Hey! I don't follow NAB Rising Star that much but over recent weeks the noms haven't exactly been players that have torn the game apart. Do you think Rohan would be in the mix for a nom this week or were there some other youngsters that had blinders on the Weekend. I'm not saying Gary def deserves one, I'm sure he will get one at some stage, I'm just saying was he the best of an half decent bunch on the Weekend?

BSA5
24th May 2010, 04:20 PM
Hey! I don't follow NAB Rising Star that much but over recent weeks the noms haven't exactly been players that have torn the game apart. Do you think Rohan would be in the mix for a nom this week or were there some other youngsters that had blinders on the Weekend. I'm not saying Gary def deserves one, I'm sure he will get one at some stage, I'm just saying was he the best of an half decent bunch on the Weekend?

Fyfe at Freo was one of the BOG against us. He's definitely on track for this week.

Nich
24th May 2010, 04:42 PM
Fyfe at Freo was one of the BOG against us. He's definitely on track for this week.

Cool. Thanks for the response.

Nich
24th May 2010, 06:21 PM
Fyfe got charged for contact with an umpire. Can escape with a fine with an early plea. Wonder if that affects his chances! I know it does if you get suspended?

Matty10
24th May 2010, 10:27 PM

I also noticed some absolute scrubbers from him as well.

I would say that Jetta had a poor game on the weekend - based mainly on his disposal. There is little value getting the ball if you can't hit a target (no matter how exciting the player is before the ball hits his boot). I have no idea why his kicking was so bad, because he has delivered some incredible passes in the past. It is possible that he has an inherent flaw in his technique, or that he is exhausted by the time he gets ball to boot, but either way I hope it is not a recurring trend because it will get tired very fast - and he will find himself out of the team.

Having said all that, the young guys - particularly Hannerbery, Rohan and Jack - are really giving supporters something to get excited about.

I now have no expectations in regards to 2010 for the Swans, but I think that will allow me to enjoy the games more - win, lose, or draw. It won't worry me too much, as I will be happy if the players mentioned in this thread continue to improve. I still hope that we will win each week and of course we can still make the finals - but I have no expectation that either will occur.

Nich
25th May 2010, 11:46 AM

On the money with Fyfe - he got it. Well done!

Auntie.Gerald
26th May 2010, 12:01 AM
3 tough games Rohan has endured with our own teams depleted .................he will start to motor now I think