PDA

View Full Version : Surely we have to get some of this

Reggi
6th June 2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-ready-to-put-cash-into-essendons-bid-for-inglis-20100605-xm2v.html

AFL funded so we go after......

KirkysSocks
6th June 2010, 11:10 AM
This is going to end in tears.

liz
6th June 2010, 11:46 AM
Agree it is getting silly. Can understand the thought process with GWS and GC17 (even though I am doubtful the recruitments will have much effect on what will be a long hard slog, esp in Western Sydney). But cannot for the life of me understand the marketing benefit of Inglis playing for a team in AFL's heartland.

stellation
6th June 2010, 11:59 AM
Is there an allocated "nail in the coffin of another code" budget? That would clearly be the purpose of the AFL chipping in here.

Like liz, I understand the logic of it for GWS and GC17 and whilst I don't know it will work, I don't blame for trying. I'm not cool with a big Victorian club getting support from the AFL in a similar way (I'd actually think twice about it if it was a struggling Vic club).

dimelb
6th June 2010, 06:23 PM
How about getting Anthony Mundine? We could use his silky skills.

Reggi
10th June 2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah this is a bad idea you do sometimes think it would be great to pick up potential stars, but it really isn't worth it. Andrew Demetriou does need to get out there to push his case so but at some stage it will look like bullying

Damien
10th June 2010, 05:48 PM
Is there an allocated "nail in the coffin of another code" budget? That would clearly be the purpose of the AFL chipping in here.

Like liz, I understand the logic of it for GWS and GC17 and whilst I don't know it will work, I don't blame for trying. I'm not cool with a big Victorian club getting support from the AFL in a similar way (I'd actually think twice about it if it was a struggling Vic club).

According to Offsiders last weekend, each club has access for up to $580K each year of marketing money from the AFL to supplement wages legally outside the cap for players that undertake marketing work. I imagine our Captains, Bradshaw and maybe even K Jack would get some type of payment from this allowance, along with the younger boys who take on the bulk of the school work.

Gerard Whately said GWS are using their total allowance on one player! Makes you wonder how on earth GC can fit G Ablett into the salary cap, even with concessions, guessing a massively frontloaded contract.