PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Port Adelaide (Official teams named)

ugg
7th June 2010, 12:30 PM
McGlynn and Moore played in the reserves, Kennelly an 'outside chance' to return according to Roos depending on how he pulled up at training. The best players in the reserves yesterday Sam Reid and Dylan McNeil aren't in serious contention, while there are a lot of players with senior experience waiting in the wings - O'Dwyer, Veszpremi, Thornton, Barlow, Meredith, Moore, Heath, Richards, McGlynn plus the mature-aged Dennis-Lane

Who will be the unlucky few to make way if any of these 3 do come in? While I don't subscribe to the theory that Jetta needs a 'rest' in the magoos, I do think he could lose his spot if McGlynn/Moore do come in given that he was part of the forwards group yesterday.

Plugger46
7th June 2010, 12:53 PM
Bevan was alright yesterday but he's a fair way off our best 22. I guess Henry will survive until until Bradshaw comes back. Given that we have next week off, surely they won't risk Kennelly.

If McGlynn and Moore are ready to come back, I'd probably take Bevan and Jetta out.

ernie koala
7th June 2010, 12:59 PM
IMO, out should be....
Playfair...he was back to his normal form yesterday, unsighted, absolutely no impact.
Bevo...kicked one nice goal but that was it.
Jetta...needs to kick some goals, and some goal assists, to get his confidence back...a couple of weeks in the 2's.
You'd think McGlynn and Kennelly will come back in if ready to go.
If not it would be nice to see 2 or 3 of these guys get a run....MOD, Vespa, TDL ,Johnstone and Moore
But as usual I know this won't happen, given the conservative selection policy of the Swans...especially after a win.

Jewels
7th June 2010, 01:16 PM
I think they should err on the side of caution with Tiger and bring him back after the break.
At the aftermatch yesterday, Brad Seymour said that Bradshaw is still about six weeks away. I was quite disappointed as I was hoping we'd be back to something close to full strength when we face Collingwood and our forward line would have some cohesion about it.

alison.z
7th June 2010, 01:17 PM
Bevo...kicked one nice goal but that was it.

** Two nice goals ;)

CJK
7th June 2010, 01:25 PM
If McGlynn and Moore are ready to come back, I'd probably take Bevan and Jetta out.

This makes sense.

Danzar
7th June 2010, 01:26 PM
I definitely agree Jetta needs a couple of weeks in the twos. He'll be able to apply what he's learnt under far less pressure and hopefully should come back with some confidence.

Melbourne_Blood
7th June 2010, 01:31 PM
MOD was stiff to lose his spot after only one game. He should come back in for Bevo if none of the injured guys are ready. Bevo was surely only in because of the forecast weather.
Still can't understand why Vez can't get a game too. Maybe he should come in for a run so Jetta can get some goal kicking confidence in the two's. Let's face it Jetta out, on his recent form, really isn't going to hurt us that much.
I would love to see someone with a future at Sydney come in for Playfair. Why are we the only team who doesn't sometimes throw caution to the wind with young devleoping KPP's and give them a go in the ones ?
So wishful thinking ( if injured players dont get up) IN: MOD, Vez, LJ
OUT: Bevan, Jetta, Playfair
But likely ( If injured players don't get up) No Change

CJK
7th June 2010, 01:32 PM
** Two nice goals ;)

Indeed.

Bevo kicked a cracker from inside the square and then found space in the 50 to take a mark in the downpour before slotting it.

Was great stuff.

But haters gonna hate - and in this case even only give him credit for half the goals he scored!

Plugger46
7th June 2010, 01:34 PM
I think they should err on the side of caution with Tiger and bring him back after the break.
At the aftermatch yesterday, Brad Seymour said that Bradshaw is still about six weeks away. I was quite disappointed as I was hoping we'd be back to something close to full strength when we face Collingwood and our forward line would have some cohesion about it.

6 weeks??? They had him listed as 1-2 weeks on the injury list.

dimelb
7th June 2010, 01:44 PM
Bevan was alright yesterday but he's a fair way off our best 22. I guess Henry will survive until until Bradshaw comes back. Given that we have next week off, surely they won't risk Kennelly.

I'd like to see us go with these ideas except that it might be useful to give Johnston a 2-3 week run in the firsts at CHF in place of Henry. I know Henry doesn't always give us a lot in that position, but he is structurally important, requires at least a second or third defender and can kick the odd goal. Surely Johnston could give that much for a couple of weeks and get some valuable experience in the process. I agree about Kennelly, especially when the week's break comes next.
I'd be sorry to see Jetta go, but he must be behind both McGlynn and Moore in the midfield-small forward role at this stage despite his speed.

giant
7th June 2010, 01:46 PM

I bet 6 weeks is closer - as I understand it this is the same injury and treatment as the pre-season knee which took 8 wks to recover from.

swansrule100
7th June 2010, 02:02 PM

yeh but mcglynn was 2 weeks away about 5 rounds in a row

Captain
7th June 2010, 02:08 PM
The real dilemma is once Bradshaw, Seaby, Craig Bolton, Kennelly, McGlynn and Moore come back, who goes? Obviously it probably won't be an issue as someone else will be injured, but an interesting conundrum all the same.

Bevan, Playfair, Pyke would all be definites. Then probably Jetta. Then who?

CJK
7th June 2010, 02:12 PM
The real dilemma is once Bradshaw, Seaby, Craig Bolton, Kennelly, McGlynn and Moore come back, who goes? Obviously it probably won't be an issue as someone else will be injured, but an interesting conundrum all the same.

Bevan, Playfair, Pyke would all be definites. Then probably Jetta. Then who?

Not Smith hopefully... Am impressed by Smith

ernie koala
7th June 2010, 02:18 PM
Indeed.

Bevo kicked a cracker from inside the square and then found space in the 50 to take a mark in the downpour before slotting it.

was great stuff

But haters gonna hate - and in this case even only give him credit for half the goals he scored!

Firstly, what's with the "haters gonna hate" garbage ? Having an opinion on a player being selected above others, or on his abilities, doesn't constitute hate, it's not even close to hate.
Secondly, yeah, I didn't mention his second goal.... I also didn't mention the early turnover that cost a goal, or the numerous poor decisions and poor disposal ie; handing off to players who were under more pressure than himself, which also led to turnovers. I've always admired his courage and tenacity, but beyond that he's a very limited player.

Hartijon
7th June 2010, 02:27 PM
Outs:
Jetta: 12 points now? No goals, and starting to look insecure.Had a perfect chance to do some magic and kick a goal,plenty of time and monstered it. Definately time to go for MOD,Moore or McGlynn
Playfair: Is he in the team to attract a tall defender? He missed some classic markable chances ,fell over as soon as the ball went to ground and he offers us no future. Mc Glynn would give us more at FF and he's short but at least he would crumb.
Bevan: Ok ,just ok,a great goal and a good goal. Not in our best 22 though overall
Malceski: B@#$% aweful game. Cost us 3 goals and was responsible for keeping The Bombers in the game when we were pulling away.

Ins:
McGlynn, Moore , MOD, TDL

McGlynn, Moore Obvious selections. MOD deserves it more than anyone else. With Bradshaw out we miss finishing class and polish. TDL has this and needs development time. Otherwise its just Jesse with any forward panache. Goodes is somewhere else in his head right now.Plus his opponent runs off him all day.

JudesaGun
7th June 2010, 02:40 PM
Outs:
Jetta: 12 points now? No goals, and starting to look insecure.Had a perfect chance to do some magic and kick a goal,plenty of time and monstered it. Definately time to go for MOD,Moore or McGlynn
Playfair: Is he in the team to attract a tall defender? He missed some classic markable chances ,fell over as soon as the ball went to ground and he offers us no future. Mc Glynn would give us more at FF and he's short but at least he would crumb.
Bevan: Ok ,just ok,a great goal and a good goal. Not in our best 22 though overall
Malceski: B@#$% aweful game. Cost us 3 goals and was responsible for keeping The Bombers in the game when we were pulling away.

Ins:

McGlynn, Moore Obvious selections. MOD deserves it more than anyone else. With Bradshaw out we miss finishing class and polish. TDL has this and needs development time. Otherwise its just Jesse with any forward panache. Goodes is somewhere else in his head right now.Plus his opponent runs off him all day.

Malceski??!!! You have no idea...

RogueSwan
7th June 2010, 02:41 PM
I' d be happy with McGlynn in/ Bevo out. Otherwise no changes. Keeping the team settled would be more beneficial IMO.

Big Al
7th June 2010, 03:05 PM
Firstly, what's with the "haters gonna hate" garbage ? Having an opinion on a player being selected above others, or on his abilities, doesn't constitute hate, it's not even close to hate.
Secondly, yeah, I didn't mention his second goal.... I also didn't mention the early turnover that cost a goal, or the numerous poor decisions and poor disposal ie; handing off to players who were under more pressure than himself, which also led to turnovers. I've always admired his courage and tenacity, but beyond that he's a very limited player.

I'm not a Bevan fan but I know when to give credit where it's due. I usually note every Bevo error and give him stick for every single one but yesterday I did not yell at Bevan once. The AFL stats actually explain why I was silent on Bevan during the match. He had 8 possessions with an 88% efficiency rating(i.e Only 1 possession wasn't effective) and kicked 2 crucial goals. The goal you didn't mention in your previous post was the one that put us in front and was the result of smart work in making space from a very congested area.

I agree he is a limited player and isn't in our best 22 but he did his job yesterday and for that he needs to be commended along with the rest of the team.

Melbournehammer
7th June 2010, 03:35 PM

I'll split the middle. Bevan was ok and did his bit. Here goes - Playfair did his bit. He (I don't think) was outmarked by his opponent all game and instead brought the ball to ground on the occasions when he needed to. He's no world beater but he is doing OK. certainly doing more than the two time brownlow medallist who has been thumped by his direct opponent two weeks in a row (even accepting that had he kicked straight against the hawks he would have come out on top). I'd be far more worried about whether goodes should play forward than whether playfair should get a game when bradshaw is out.

Malceski did play poorly. There is no pretending otherwise. His kicking was unambiuously poor - go back and have a look at the replay - and he wasn't great in the contests (someone has got to tell him that when running with the flight of the ball sticking a fist up is likely to make the ball go over the top towards the goal square even when he does make contact).

And LRT played well. He gets a thumbs up from me this week. As an LRT hater I'm always happy to give him a rap.

ernie koala
7th June 2010, 03:43 PM
I'm not a Bevan fan but I know when to give credit where it's due. I usually note every Bevo error and give him stick for every single one but yesterday I did not yell at Bevan once. The AFL stats actually explain why I was silent on Bevan during the match. He had 8 possessions with an 88% efficiency rating(i.e Only 1 possession wasn't effective) and kicked 2 crucial goals. The goal you didn't mention in your previous post was the one that put us in front and was the result of smart work in making space from a very congested area.

I agree he is a limited player and isn't in our best 22 but he did his job yesterday and for that he needs to be commended along with the rest of the team.
Fair enough, but stats are often misleading, and I can recall at least 2 times when he fired handballs to players under more pressure. In the stats, these are listed as efficient, but in reality they were anything but.

Hartijon
7th June 2010, 03:56 PM

I DID have a clue that it would spark a response . Fair enough too,he is a class player and a match winner at times but he must have played the worst game I have seen from him on Sunday. Roosey actually dragged him after a weak attempt to spoil that ended up in a Bombers goal. You don't see Roosey do that very often and The Eski was visibly dissappointed with himself. 5 minutes later he comes on and turns it over right in front for another Bombers goal.
Does he have the flue or something? Ok, I'll agree dropping him might be too harsh but he must be on a warning not to play like that again.

Donners
7th June 2010, 03:57 PM
Malceski did have an awful game, but so did Goodes. Indeed, Goodes' game was more disturbing, because there was a very clear lack of effort at times, especially defensively.

Hartijon
7th June 2010, 04:00 PM
I could not recognise the Goodes we all know as a star. His form has dropped well below his normal high standards and although he is trying hard,it seems to make it worse. I was glad he slotted the clincher and lets hope it turns it around for him.

Captain
7th June 2010, 04:02 PM
I DID have a clue that it would spark a response . Fair enough too,he is a class player and a match winner at times but he must have played the worst game I have seen from him on Sunday. Roosey actually dragged him after a weak attempt to spoil that ended up in a Bombers goal. You don't see Roosey do that very often and The Eski was visibly dissappointed with himself. 5 minutes later he comes on and turns it over right in front for another Bombers goal.
Does he have the flue or something? Ok, I'll agree dropping him might be too harsh but he must be on a warning not to play like that again.

All fair comments. He was one of our worst yesterday.

wearebloods
7th June 2010, 04:12 PM
Possible injuries from Bombers game: Playfair wasn't moving to well in the last quarter & I wonder what's the go with Shaw?

Potential Promotions
- Veszpremi: His money shot pic was used in the Swans Reserves report (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/95818/default.aspx)
- TDL: Got his very own puff piece (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=30749).

^ Trial balloons for possible INs this week or close?

Big Al
7th June 2010, 04:15 PM
Fair enough, but stats are often misleading, and I can recall at least 2 times when he fired handballs to players under more pressure. In the stats, these are listed as efficient, but in reality they were anything but.

TRue enough... it's just that I'm a tough marker when it comes to Bevo and I can't recall having a go at him once which is unusual I can tell you.:)

BSA5
7th June 2010, 04:33 PM

I think I must have been watching a different game to you. I thought Melcho was good. He made a couple of defensive mistakes (that contest against Jetta and the turnover to Shaw (?) at half back), but he also cleaned up countless spillages on half back and repelled attack after attack when nobody else could pick the damn ball up. He was far from classy, but I thought he was very effective at repelling attacks.

Bas
7th June 2010, 04:50 PM
Out: Playfair, Goodes
In: TDL, Barlow

Hartijon
7th June 2010, 05:05 PM
I think I must have been watching a different game to you. I thought Melcho was good. He made a couple of defensive mistakes (that contest against Jetta and the turnover to Shaw (?) at half back), but he also cleaned up countless spillages on half back and repelled attack after attack when nobody else could pick the damn ball up. He was far from classy, but I thought he was very effective at repelling attacks.

I am reasonably sure we were watching the same game . The cost of Melcho's mistakes and the context were the issue. Defensive lapses like his in the context of the game are simply not acceptable. Way too soft when the whole team was hard at it! Sure he played ok or servicably apart from 3 or more costly mistakes which caused the coach to drag him. There are other posts in this thread that presumably watching the same game, have a similar judgement to me.He played a lousy game.

Big Al
7th June 2010, 05:09 PM
Out: Playfair, Goodes
In: TDL, Barlow

You bloody idiot....

DST
7th June 2010, 05:24 PM
TDL for Playfair as a straight swap, he plays a bit taller and therefore can be used as mid sized target

McGlynn for Jetta if he comes up, other Vez for Jetta.

Outside of the that, everybody else deserves to keep their place based on their efforts on the weekend.

DST

ShockOfHair
7th June 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm not a Bevan fan but I know when to give credit where it's due. I usually note every Bevo error and give him stick for every single one but yesterday I did not yell at Bevan once.

It's the Al-O-Meter! Measuring degrees away from crapness.

I reckon Goodesy would have got a high Al-O-Meter score in the first half.

Big Al
7th June 2010, 05:46 PM
It's the Al-O-Meter! Measuring degrees away from crapness.

I reckon Goodesy would have got a high Al-O-Meter score in the first half.

Were you sitting behind me??? The Al-O-Meter - I like it. May have to get a patent on that.

Yes, he wasn't in my good books that's for sure. Still, all was forgiven as he ran in sealed it. :D

Chookbilly
7th June 2010, 05:52 PM
There are a few changes I'd like to see, whether this week or in the future, as we all know that Roos won't change too much if anything after a win.

Out - Pyke - I think he's doing brilliantly considering the circumstances, but he has had a few games now and can take what he has learned back to the reserves and improve on them.
In - Currie - I think he can do just as well as Pyke, and will contribute more around the ground and up forward. Been in the system a few years and derves a chance while Seaby is injured.

Out - Bevan. Everyone knows what he offers, and it's not going to get any better from here on in. I see him as nothing more than cover for injuries, not a best 22 player.
In - Vespa/TDL - Depending on the position replacement ie. forward or back, I would like to see either TDL given a chance as a forward, or Vespa in a half forward/half back position.
In my opinion, like Bevan neither are best 22 players (yet), but have more upside and need to be given a chance on the big stage.

Out - Jetta - Will be a little champion, and has been handy if not great. Feel he needs a game or two in the seconds to regain some form and confidence.... and figure out where the goals are, will be a better for it.
In - Meredith/Vespa Both capable of playing on a wing both highly skilled users of the ball, not to mention creative

Out - Playfair - Offers nothing more than a big body, decent mark, but poor kick which is just unacceptable as a forward. Should be a last alternative.
In - Johnston/TDL - Johnston has strung a few together now and was in the bests on the weekend. May not quite be ready, but a taste of senior action may help him understand what is required. 1 goal out of him would be on par with Playfairs output anyway.
TDL is the classy small forward we've needed for years. Now we have him, he has his fitness back, and he's kicking goals in the reserves. Bringing him in would change the dimension of our forward structure, but if the end result is more goals it's a good thing.

McGlynn is the other player that will obviously come into the side once proven fit and firing.

dimelb
7th June 2010, 05:57 PM
Were you sitting behind me??? The Al-O-Meter - I like it. May have to get a patent on that.

Yes, he wasn't in my good books that's for sure. Still, all was forgiven as he ran in sealed it. :D
Is that different from the Ale-O-meter? Just pondering on the sig.

Big Al
7th June 2010, 06:26 PM
Is that different from the Ale-O-meter? Just pondering on the sig.

I have my nephew with me these days and I drive so none of the liquid gold for me.

He's not coming to the Pies game so the Ale-O- meter may get a run that night.

bigswan
7th June 2010, 06:43 PM
In:McGlynn, Moore
Out:Bevan, Jetta

If Kennelly comes in I don't know what they will do. Pyke continues to do enough. The tap to McVeigh to bring up a goal was a gem. Playfair stays in the side until Bradshaw returns and even then still might hold his place, such is his competitiveness. I hope Veszpremi gets another chance but I don't know where. I would hate to see Smith dropped. Malceski would need to play much better this week. With players fighting for places in the side, the future looks good.

bondy
7th June 2010, 08:02 PM
I would hate to see Smith dropped.

Smith won't be dropped all season.

gumby_bolts
7th June 2010, 08:50 PM

Agreed. Our best small defender and Probs up there with kirk as our best tagger.
On melcho, I didn't think he had an awful game, sure, he made some mistakes but I saw many contests when he was hard at it and got some clean ball out.

Nico
7th June 2010, 09:08 PM
Malceski did have an awful game, but so did Goodes. Indeed, Goodes' game was more disturbing, because there was a very clear lack of effort at times, especially defensively.

Interesting comment by an Essendon supporter to me today. He said Goodes was always going to be the one who was going to win the game for us. He said he had Hocking on him and 2 coming back on him constantly that forced Goodes wide on leads. He said Goodes's last quarter was very good and his constant effort at the footy always had the Dons supporters uneasy. Last week 1 goal 5, this week 2 goals 4 (couple of terrible misses), but turn it round to 5/1 and 4/2 and we all call him a star.

On his defensive work; he certainly brought the ball to ground miles more than Playfair whether it was by design or not, but the real problem was we had no one at the fall of the ball whereas Essendon had 2 or 3 dropping back all the time. It was nausiating to see them take it away with ease.
Goodes had 16 possessions which any key forward will take any day. He needs to convert more of the opportunities, but the final goal was a signature goal and right when we needed at the end of a tough day.

Nico
7th June 2010, 09:16 PM
I am reasonably sure we were watching the same game . The cost of Melcho's mistakes and the context were the issue. Defensive lapses like his in the context of the game are simply not acceptable. Way too soft when the whole team was hard at it! Sure he played ok or servicably apart from 3 or more costly mistakes which caused the coach to drag him. There are other posts in this thread that presumably watching the same game, have a similar judgement to me.He played a lousy game.

You're right, his 2 grubbers for turnovers and goals were rubbish. After that though he didn't do one short pass. His one handed effort 15 metres out that resulted in a goal was the same as he did against North. On TV they played it a few times and like the North game no doubt heard footsteps. The probelem with those 2 grubbers was they were both les than 15 metres so if they did happen to land on the chest it was play on and both times the recipient had a bomber right on his ginger.

Nico
7th June 2010, 09:23 PM
I think there is a good chance Lewis Johnston will debut this week in his home town. Someone mentioned Playfair being sore after the game so I would reckon a key position player for a key position player looks likely.

royboy42
7th June 2010, 09:23 PM
Easily in our best 22, and will be for some years!

cruiser
7th June 2010, 09:31 PM
How did McGlynn go on the weekend? Our forward line needs him desperately. I think he is the difference to see us beat Port.

dimelb
7th June 2010, 11:10 PM
Easily in our best 22, and will be for some years!

Indeed - I think Smith is often in our top 6.

Primmy
8th June 2010, 12:32 AM
Smiffy is going to be one of those "what! 100 games already!" players. I think he is fantastic.

We need wins on the board, we have blooded a whole heap of kids already, we have to keep things balanced to win as many games as possible to make the finals, and that is the first priority from game 11 onwards. We will take the best we have got balanced against the opposition.
I can see Curry getting a gig, but not yet.
I can see LJ getting a gig, but I don't think quite yet.
I can't wait for Reid to get a gig, someone who is actually being fine tuned into a KP defensive position which is not always the go....they all seem to want the midfield spots and he is a great defense, but he is only just developing and is still looking like a bit of bamboo, will have to wait on him for a bit.
Vespa, don't know what is going on there, but he blows hot and cold.
MOD is a fantastic ressies player.
We should see Cambo again this year.
Barlow....oh dear. Why oh why bloody can't he be a terrific player. Its like watching a beautiful expensive outfit disintegrating after its first wash. I nominate Ed as the most frustrating player we have had in years.
TDL should make an appearance sooner rather than later.
But, I cannot see any of the others battering down the door by the end of this year.

aardvark
8th June 2010, 12:35 AM
Indeed - I think Smith is often in our top 6.

Nick Smith "The Quiet Assassin". Any selector who even thinks of dropping him is in big trouble.

ScottH
8th June 2010, 08:38 AM
Nick Smith "The Quiet Assassin". Any selector who even thinks of dropping him is in big trouble.

good one, I was thing BP, the quiet achiever, but I like yours better.

bigswan
8th June 2010, 09:00 AM
I agree completely with Primmy. Too many young players in a side can make it too inexperienced and lacking physical strength. But after another pre-season we have a lot to look forward to in these players. Add Tom Mitchell!

Damien
8th June 2010, 09:08 AM
good one, I was thing BP, the quiet achiever, but I like yours better.

Let's not use that one!!! Not sure BP are the quiet achievers they used to be haha Just ask residents of the Gulf of Mexico in the US!!!

ScottH
8th June 2010, 09:31 AM
Let's not use that one!!! Not sure BP are the quiet achievers they used to be haha Just ask residents of the Gulf of Mexico in the US!!!

Not really. They are quietly achieving great headlines at the moment!!!

RogueSwan
8th June 2010, 10:27 AM
I see talk about Hank pulling up sore, what about Jack? Didn't he take a hard knock to the head? I realise he was up and about pretty quickly but still....

Hartijon
8th June 2010, 11:53 AM
I see talk about Hank pulling up sore, what about Jack? Didn't he take a hard knock to the head? I realise he was up and about pretty quickly but still....

What a shame if Hank can't play but I am sure the medical team will do everything in its power to get him on the field.Otherwise we might have to replace this key player with someone boring like Lewis Johnstone .That would be a painful decision for the conservative selectors, perhaps they might have to even consider restructuring the forward line which has failed to kick significant score with the likes of TDL and Vez? Now wouldn't that be boring too! I liken this period to when some were demanding Smith come into the team and all the excuses under the sun came out as to why he was not in the top 22. I think Smith proved the doubters wrong! I think these other guys would do the same.

Matty10
8th June 2010, 12:47 PM
Playfair stays in the side until Bradshaw returns and even then still might hold his place

I agree. Playfair is very important to our team and we need options. It is pointless for others to suggest that he should be dropped because he is not in our long term plans - the fact remains that he is in our plans for the rest of the year - who knows if Bradshaw will remain fit, or if White will continue to show promise (keeping Playfair in gives him and the team more time to gel). Also, Playfair is a great foil to White & Goodes and provides another avenue forward - and his form warrants selection.

Interesting comment by an Essendon supporter to me today. He said Goodes was always going to be the one who was going to win the game for us. He said he had Hocking on him and 2 coming back on him constantly that forced Goodes wide on leads. He said Goodes's last quarter was very good and his constant effort at the footy always had the Dons supporters uneasy. Last week 1 goal 5, this week 2 goals 4 (couple of terrible misses), but turn it round to 5/1 and 4/2 and we all call him a star.

I certainly would not be dropping a player who had six shots on goal either.

Eski has often been a bit weak in physical contests (and it would be great if he could improve in that area), but that is not really why he is in the team. It is his kicking that sets him apart - and when on song he is a great asset for our team.

If there are no injuries it might well be worth waiting till after the break to bring back McGlynn and have another look at the others (TDL etc).

Hartijon
8th June 2010, 02:45 PM
I believe its the right time and place to introduce Lewis Johnston into the team. I would put him Full Forward replacing Playfair who has come up sore and has offered little in that position in terms of marks,goals, or crumbing and follow up effort. Against Essendon we really suffered from a lack of target in front of goals and from follow up efforts which allowed Essendon the clear the ball easily from unsuccessful marking attempts. I believe Lewis would give us much needed mobility up front and good recovery and hopefully will at least score a goal or two which is after all what a Full forward is there for. You can pick a guy for his big body,or his pace,or his experience,none of this will win you a game unless he can kick goals. We must have a dangerous goal kicker in front of the big sticks! Bradshaw should have been replaced with a natural goal kicking forward.Its Time!!

CJK
8th June 2010, 02:47 PM
And this is based on..... ??

Hartijon
8th June 2010, 02:53 PM
4 goals in the reserves and one of the best players,Showing form at a time when we need someone like him to step up. Also based on the fact we are getting nothing from that position to worry any AFL team..even Pt Adelaide!

Chookbilly
8th June 2010, 02:55 PM
I would love to see Lewis get a gig, but was there really any need to create another new thread when there's a thread dedicated to changes for the upcoming game agaist port?

I also think if he kicked even 1 goal, we would be getting just as much output as playfair offers, but with an outlook to the future.
Playfair tries hard but his kicking is a liability, which is unacceptable for a forward.

liz
8th June 2010, 02:59 PM
4 goals in the reserves and one of the best players,Showing form at a time when we need someone like him to step up. Also based on the fact we are getting nothing from that position to worry any AFL team..even Pt Adelaide!

The best players have fluctuated significantly from week to week. McNeill and Reid are probably the only two who have been consistently named in the best. He did kick 4 last week, but also has been played all over the ground, including stints in the backline. An article a few weeks ago suggested he still needs to match his onfield intensity with training intensity. Can't see the club naming him for a senior game until he's nailed that, unless we have no bodies left to bring in.

I am not convinced by a three tall forward line, especially while Bradshaw is out. Assuming they are intent on leaving Goodes up forward, I'd rather they brought in another medium or smallish player to play forward, particularly with Rohan there playing as a tallish medium. McGlynn will find his way back into the team soon you'd reckon, if not this weekend then a week later unless he reinjures himself. Wouldn't be surprised to see him replace either Playfair or White in the structure.

chalbilto
8th June 2010, 03:16 PM
Can't see them replacing White, Playfair maybe.

Molly dooker
8th June 2010, 03:29 PM
Here's my two cents worth.....

Game was saved/won by LRT (two dads) and we would have been nowhere near a win without Jude (no surprises to anyone who watched), Smith, White, Mc V and Bird.

Lewie used his brains and impeccable hands, Jude used everything he's got, Smith is a giant killer, White is getting better and better, Mc V and Bird were all over the place.

I agree whole heartedly that Playfair plays a role but he was a passenger and TDL would be my "IN".

BRISWAN
8th June 2010, 06:27 PM
OUTS:
Bevan (too slow and there are better, younger and more skilled versions coming through)
Pyke (no idea where to position himself around the ground)
Playfair (doesn't present or contest anywhere near hard enough at this level)
Smith (unlucky to be dropped - but we need Vespa back)

INS:
McGlynn (replaces Bevan as a no brainer )
Currie (replaces Pyke and did quite well during NAB cup )
Johnston (replaces Playfair - as we need to get games into our 2008 first round pick )
Vezpremi or TDL (replaces Smith as we are desperately in need of a few guys who aren't afraid to have a shot on goal)

Speaking of shots on goal - we have too many guys that need to accept responsibility inside 50 and have a crack at drilling their shots.
On the weekend, there were several opportunities to have a shot - but instaed players opted for short passes.
These more often then not ended up in either turn-overs or putting guys into more acute kicking positions.

Fire up boys, take the shot and have a crack!

And if you miss.......man up!

The Bumbers had no less than 4goals created from kick-ins. This is unacceptable and basically amounts to a 12pt turn-around.

In contrast, our kicking in was appauling and needs a complete overhaul.

One major issue the boys had on the weekend was running hard and presenting themselves to space.
This was just not done enough. We were continually caught out and out numbered in contests and you can't expect to get away with this everyweek.

Despite his goals (that were all gimmies) Jesse White needs to work harder.....alot harder around the ground and creating leading options.

C'mon boys - I know you can play alot better than last Sunday.

BSA5
8th June 2010, 06:33 PM
OUTS:
Bevan (too slow and there are better, younger and more skilled versions coming through)

INS:
Johnston (replaces Playfair - as we need to get games into our 2008 first round pick )
Vezpremi or TDL (replaces Smith as we are desperately in need of a few guys who aren't afraid to have a shot on goal)

Lol, no. Just no.

ugg
8th June 2010, 06:40 PM
If Johnston does crack a game, and it's a big IF, I would imagine he'd be running across half-forward and up to the wings rather than a CHF or FF. Most KPP players start out in this manner, mainly because they would get slaughtered playing against the established key defenders.

Hartijon
8th June 2010, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=BRISWAN;490425]OUTS:

INS:

No way would you drop Smith,one of our top10 IMO.the shut down job he has done has been sensational plus he manages to kick the odd goal.He is a gem! Pyke has to stay.his tapwork was so good they confused him with Mumford! What a compliment. So Currie doesn't make it ! However the player to give a rest as opposed to dropping would probably be Jetta, a great potential star but as stated many times,needs a Jesse White style reserves game or two to sharpen up his skills.Then Vespa or TDL gets in. My vote is for TDL otherwise it makes no sense to have recruited him.

CJK
8th June 2010, 08:03 PM
OUTS:

Post of the day!

Unless serious, then; 'wut?'

rojo
8th June 2010, 08:05 PM
I would love to see Lewis J and TDL get some game time in this window of opportunity with Bradshaw out. The question is have they earned their place yet? Those who have watched the ressies would know better than I. It sounds as if they are not quite banging the door down yet. Unfortunately for them when McGlynn and also Moore are fit the opportunity will be gone.

UglyDuckling
8th June 2010, 08:34 PM
I think the obvious ones are
Out:
Beavan - Had and ok game kicked a couple of good goals but having him in holds back someone with the potential to be much better. ATM he is really a depth player

Playfair - Had a quite one on the weekend after a couple of decent games. The question is about structure if bradshaw doesnt come in we would be swapping tall for short and i think the real concern is that without a dangerous third tall the defenders will be able to zone off too easily on Jesse and Adam. So it could go either way for him to be dropped

In:
McGlynn - Automatic inclusion after is spectacular form early in the season.

Moore - Started the season OK and is probably in our best 22 if he can get the ball he is a very nice user with well weighted kicks into the forward 50

Close:

Pyke - People want him gone but i love his tap work (see sore throat he gave jarrad for a sweet goal on the weekend) so i would keep him. Also helps mummy to his excellent work

Vez - got some continuity in the 2's and i would love to see him get a game soon. I dunno if this is the week but i would be happy for him to come in

TDL - Similar to Vez the injury early in the season seemed to put him back but he has started to find some nice goal kicking form in the 2's if his fitness and consistency stay he should be close to getting a game soon.

MOD - didnt back it up with a good game in the 2's to force his way in after being dropped. Might be a bit sore or not consistent enough???

Currie - He has to be close but i think you have to be in good form when the opportunity arises to get a game and it hasnt really all come together form him yet. Would like to see him soon.

Richards - Simply no where near our best 22 now. He really needs to dominate the 2's to come back in but hasnt done it. I think he may be traded at the end of the year, im sure there would be a few clubs that need a tall defender hawthorn, gold coast, west sydney (would have to delist and he get rookied), fremantle (they take all kinds of spuds and he did once play for essendon)

liz
8th June 2010, 08:49 PM
I
MOD - didnt back it up with a good game in the 2's to force his way in after being dropped. Might be a bit sore or not consistent enough???

Or stuck in Sydney as first emergency for the senior team and therefore with no chance to stick it up the coaching staff for dropping him after one game!

stellation
8th June 2010, 09:01 PM
Or stuck in Sydney as first emergency for the senior team and therefore with no chance to stick it up the coaching staff for dropping him after one game!

Results not excuses, my dear.

Far Reach
9th June 2010, 12:00 AM
Given Port's ruck stocks, Mumford may play a mosty lone hand with Playfair in support. Out Pyke, in marking forward that can have a run through the midfield. My bet is Vesz. I've been critical of Bevan but if he's in form he can play a role. I'd prefer O'Dwyer but don't see this change to a winning team.

UglyDuckling
9th June 2010, 12:43 AM

that would explain it

BigD
9th June 2010, 12:36 PM
If McGlynn is right to come back I agree Henry should be the one to go. He hasn't really shown me much over the last couple of weeks.
I definitely wouldn't risk Tadgh until after the break now.

Captain
9th June 2010, 02:36 PM
There is a lot of Smith love, which is fine. However is he in our best 22 when everyone is fit? Maybe. He definitely deserves his spot right now and is playing well. However someone needs to be dropped for when Kennelly, Bradshaw, McGlynn, Moore, Seaby, Bolton etc etc come back.

Playfair, Bevan and Pyke are obvious. After maybe Jetta, no one seems to be able to come up with the remaining 2.

To me, Smith or Bird would be the next cabs off the rank.

Unfortunate as I like them both. Good problem to have but.

Peace
9th June 2010, 03:04 PM
malceski and mattner will have to lift from their most recent form if they want to stay in the side for this 2nd half od the season... eski didnt have a great one last week.

if mcglynn is fit and ready to go then bring him in for bevan or playfair.... he can hide amongst the grass down there in the vast open spaces! hopefully can kick another bag too!

Hartijon
9th June 2010, 04:54 PM
There is a lot of Smith love, which is fine. However is he in our best 22 when everyone is fit? Maybe. He definitely deserves his spot right now and is playing well. However someone needs to be dropped for when Kennelly, Bradshaw, McGlynn, Moore, Seaby, Bolton etc etc come back.

Playfair, Bevan and Pyke are obvious. After maybe Jetta, no one seems to be able to come up with the remaining 2.

Don't worry
Someone will be injured!

BSA5
9th June 2010, 05:00 PM

Of the current team, Smith and Bird would be selected before (in no particular order):

Jetta
Mattner
Bevan
Playfair (not like for like, but restructuring is always possible)
Pyke (see above, but a little more murky)

Our best 22 at full fitness is as such:

B: Smith, LRT, C.Bolton
HB: Kennelly, Grundy, Malceski
C: Hannebery, Kirk, Jack
HF: McGlynn, Goodes, O'Keefe
F: Rohan, Bradshaw, White
R: Mumford, McVeigh, J.Bolton
I/C: Seaby, Shaw, Kennedy, Bird

Emerg: Moore, Jetta, Mattner

If I've missed anybody obvious, let me know. I really like Mattner as a player, I am by no means one of those jumping up and down demanding he be dropped every week, but we're developing as a side and his form of late hasn't been great. At full fitness, he probably just misses out. Smith is definitely ahead of him.

Matty10
9th June 2010, 05:19 PM

Do you have Smith in the team ahead of Mattner as a defender, or as a shut-down / run-with player?

ernie koala
9th June 2010, 06:01 PM
Of the current team, Smith and Bird would be selected before (in no particular order):

Jetta
Mattner
Bevan

I/C: Seaby, Shaw, Kennedy, Bird

Emerg: Moore, Jetta, Mattner

If I've missed anybody obvious, let me know. I really like Mattner as a player, I am by no means one of those jumping up and down demanding he be dropped every week, but we're developing as a side and his form of late hasn't been great. At full fitness, he probably just misses out. Smith is definitely ahead of him.

I pretty much agree with your full strength squad. The player who would appear most vulnerable , on recent form, would be Kirk (though he would have to play many more poor games before being considered for dropping). That would mean Kennedy to the centre and any one of your emergencies on to the interchange bench.

BSA5
9th June 2010, 06:05 PM
Do you have Smith in the team ahead of Mattner as a defender, or as a shut-down / run-with player?

Either. Primarily in defence, but if the job needs to be done in the midfield, he can do that too.

Reggi
9th June 2010, 06:29 PM
HAving re-watched the game

White played one of his better games. Playfair bloody hell, need one so drop Playfair

Bevan is next out. For mine get back Kennelly & Mcglynn especially on the larger ground

UglyDuckling
9th June 2010, 07:42 PM

i would have smith in the middle he has been excellent as a run with player, he shuts down better than jack, where jack hurts the opposition the other way by popping up for a goal.

bolton, lrt, grundy, shaw, mal and kennelly thats your back 6 maybe smith, rohan rotate through the backline to give the others a chop out.

Reggi
10th June 2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/kennelly-must-get-through-training-to-play-power-20100609-xwwd.html

Kennelly must train to play, McGlynn to return

RogueSwan
10th June 2010, 09:47 AM
..Kennelly must train to play, McGlynn to return

Give Irish another week off, we don't really need to rush him back. He wasn't playing to his high standard before the injury anyway. Don't risk the Tiger, save him for the Wobbles.

but more importantly -

Roos added that full-forward Daniel Bradshaw won't be considered this week, but he should be fit to return after the break.

Peace
10th June 2010, 09:50 AM
i agree, we dont need him for this game as long as malceski and mattner snap out of their recent poor form.

undy
10th June 2010, 10:02 AM
I'm suprised no-one has suggested that Maxfield is dropped. He's been useful off the bench, but spent a LOT of time on the ground in the last 5 minutes of the game without getting a touch, generally occupying space (and organising the boys). I thought that the Swans may have been facing a please-explain from the AFL.

Primmy
10th June 2010, 11:34 AM
I'm suprised no-one has suggested that Maxfield is dropped. He's been useful off the bench, but spent a LOT of time on the ground in the last 5 minutes of the game without getting a touch, generally occupying space (and organising the boys). I thought that the Swans may have been facing a please-explain from the AFL.

SSShhhhhh, don't mention the war!!!

ugg
10th June 2010, 11:38 AM
Dr Nathan Gibbs did a good job of manning the mark when LRT went down. He should get the credit for Hille missing his set shot.

ShockOfHair
10th June 2010, 11:57 AM

And didn't give away a free. One of our best.

Yuri H
10th June 2010, 11:58 AM
Great to hear McGlynn will be back! I dunno, though, after all those initial reports about Bradshaw I'll be surprised if he's actually back so quickly. Very, very pleasantly surprised, but still.

Bas
10th June 2010, 01:30 PM
Dr Nathan Gibbs did a good job of manning the mark when LRT went down. He should get the credit for Hille missing his set shot.

Dr's get away with murder but fancy getting away with this !

I thought Channel 7 reported this morning that Tadgh was back on the Port. :D They should give him another week off which will be 2 weeks.

McGlynn back and after such a good performance at AAMI last time. Body memory should carry him through.

Good news to hear that JB is back for Mugpies game. Crossing all fingers and toes for that one to happen. I hope either TDL of LJ debut for this game as well.

Bloody Hell
10th June 2010, 04:37 PM

Jetta
Mattner
Bevan

I/C: Seaby, Mattner, Kennedy, Bird

Emerg: Moore, Jetta, Shaw

Generally agree...and it looks a good team!

Three points:

1. Mattner in ahead of Shaw. Mattner gets much tougher defensive assignments than Shaw and is more damaging moving the ball out of defense.

2. Positionally, as long as he is able Mr A.Goodes should play in the midfield. He is a good CHF. He is an absolute star in the midfield. Who replaces him>? Not clear at this stage. On the SCG I don't think it matters, with two other tall forwards he's simply not required, as the HFFer's can forfill the required role sufficently, on bigger grounds??? I want to say LJ, but he's a way off atm and you'd have to drop someone else.

3. From other posts - As "defensive midfielders" I think Smith is ahead of Jack. Both ways. He is a natural footballer and is always composed...not to say Jack is crap, the opposite. Smith is very, very good. Commentators are already calling him the human blanket, comments never made about Jack. By the end of the year people will be saying - Ling, Cornes, Jones, Smith.

digital
10th June 2010, 05:35 PM
You have just about go ti right, and isn't it quite an impressive line up. Just get them on the paddock.

BSA5
10th June 2010, 05:42 PM
Generally agree...and it looks a good team!

Three points:

1. Mattner in ahead of Shaw. Mattner gets much tougher defensive assignments than Shaw and is more damaging moving the ball out of defense.

Disagree. I think we underrate Shaw's assignments. He blanketed Rioli against Hawthorn for example. Now, his attacking game wasn't the best (in fact, it was possibly his worst for the Swans), but he did a VERY good job on Rioli. He did a similarly good job last year against Dane Swan who was in red-hot form. I also think he's more damaging than Mattner, he's a far better kick, probably equal decision maker, and finds more of the ball. The only place that Mattner beats Shaw is peeling off his man and affecting aerial contests, and supplying a tough body at ground contests, but we have plenty of players that do that. Shaw provides something new that we don't have. We'd be a much poorer side without Shaw's run.

2. Positionally, as long as he is able Mr A.Goodes should play in the midfield. He is a good CHF. He is an absolute star in the midfield. Who replaces him>? Not clear at this stage. On the SCG I don't think it matters, with two other tall forwards he's simply not required, as the HFFer's can forfill the required role sufficently, on bigger grounds??? I want to say LJ, but he's a way off atm and you'd have to drop someone else.

Agree with that I guess, but the coaching staff are intent on playing him at CHF, and I don't really mind it. He could be listed on a HFF or wing, with McGlynn or Jack respectively moving into a forward pocket and White being listed at CHF, but it doesn't really matter. They're all on the park, it can be sorted out when it needs to be!

3. From other posts - As "defensive midfielders" I think Smith is ahead of Jack. Both ways. He is a natural footballer and is always composed...not to say Jack is crap, the opposite. Smith is very, very good. Commentators are already calling him the human blanket, comments never made about Jack. By the end of the year people will be saying - Ling, Cornes, Jones, Smith.

I do think Smith is ahead of Jack as a tagger. But I also really rate Smith's work as a small defender. Against sides that don't really have dangerous small forward, by all means play Smith in the middle on a dangerous midfielder, but when we're up against blokes like LeCras, Milne, S. Johnson, Didak, etc, guys that you wouldn't really trust Mattner or Malceski or even Shaw to really clamp down on, I'd play Smith on them. Smith is a gun defensive player, he doesn't shirk the hard ball, and he is brilliantly composed coming out of defence.

Again, it's a matter of horses for courses, and I certainly don't think Smith should be relegated to the small defender role indefinitely, but I think against top small defenders, he's of most use there. Kirk still has it in him to tag (though it seems nowadays he has to almost completely sacrifice his attacking game to do so), Jack too (though not as good as Smith, definitely), McGlynn even. We have options that mean we don't need Smith to be a permanent midfield fixture.

liz
10th June 2010, 05:58 PM

I'd dispute that. With Smith not really playing on the very small forwards this year, and no Crouch, that job has largely fallen to Shaw and has gone unheralded. And I don't think we've been cut up so far this year by a small forward. Davey did kick a couple of goals on Sunday - and noticeably outmarked Shaw on one occasion - but I still don't think he cut Shaw up. So Shaw's defensive contributions have actually been quite important, and he is still providing rebound as well.

ugg
10th June 2010, 06:03 PM
Jetta jettisoned!

PORT ADELAIDE v SYDNEY SWANS
Port Adelaide
B: Jacob Surjan, Alipate Carlile, Troy Chaplin
HB: Paul Stewart, Chad Cornes, Steven Salopek
C: Jay Nash, Domenic Cassisi, Travis Boak
HF: Matt Thomas, Jack Trengove, David Rodan
F: Brett Ebert, Daniel Motlop, Tom Logan
Foll: Dean Brogan, Danyle Pearce, Kane Cornes
I/C: Jason Davenport, Hamish Hartlett, Daniel Stewart, Cameron Hitchcock
Emg: Matthew Lobbe, Danny Meyer, Josh Carr

In: Hitchcock
Out: Matthew Broadbent

Sydney Swans
B: Rhyce Shaw, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Nick Smith
HB: Martin Mattner, Heath Grundy, Tadhg Kennelly
C: Nick Malceski, Brett Kirk, Gary Rohan
HF: Ryan O'Keefe, Adam Goodes, Josh Kennedy
F: Daniel Hannebery, Jesse White, Kieren Jack
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh
I/C: Paul Bevan, Craig Bird, Ben McGlynn, Mike Pyke
Emg: Matt O'Dwyer, Ted Richards, Patrick Veszpremi

In: Kennelly, McGlynn
Out: Henry Playfair (soreness), Lewis Jetta

Nich
10th June 2010, 06:05 PM
Interesting. I'm happy with that. Say, maybe a Vespa or MOD for Bevan and I'd be sweet with this line-up. Will be interesting when Braddy and Bolts come back to see what happens if there are no further injuries.

jono2707
10th June 2010, 06:10 PM
No complaints from me - Jetta will be back - doesn't hurt to give a young un a bit of a rest. Fingers crossed that McGlynn and Tadgh will make it onto the ground.

JudesaGun
10th June 2010, 06:11 PM
Would love to have seen Vez for Bevan.

Matty10
10th June 2010, 06:12 PM
Davey did kick a couple of goals on Sunday - and noticeably outmarked Shaw on one occasion - but I still don't think he cut Shaw up. So Shaw's defensive contributions have actually been quite important, and he is still providing rebound as well.

Shaw received the rough end of the commentary stick in that marking contest too. He was running back, goalside of his opponent to help out, but the ball was a mongrel that dropped short and so, luckily for the Essendon player, Shaw's weight was going in the opposite direction which meant he could not compete very effectively.

CJK
10th June 2010, 06:13 PM
So Adam up forward for the whole game then?

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 06:15 PM
yeah,remember that! It made Shaw look bad but there was not a lot he could do about it. Even though he looks totally distressed when things go wrong he actually just gets on with it and seems to be going as hard at the end of a game as the beginning. Hard runner and good attitude!

Matty10
10th June 2010, 06:18 PM
So Adam up forward for the whole game then?

You'd have to think so. Big ask for Jesse also - but hopefully he is up for it and gets good support from the midfield.

Brettb
10th June 2010, 06:20 PM
What is Playfair sore from??

Robbo
10th June 2010, 06:25 PM

Getting reamed by his opponent.

sWAns63
10th June 2010, 06:25 PM
Hopefully it's a bog or slow like when Port played Richmond it would give us a big chance if it's a good track it's 50/50

neilfws
10th June 2010, 06:33 PM
"Fatigue" the official explanation for resting Jetta - Fatigued Jetta set for quick return (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=96105).

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 06:40 PM
This is a huge challenge for Jesse White but one that he can take on.Its a good team and although I too would love to see Vez or MOD in before Bevan ,its not a game losing move to have Bevan in. Having Playfair unfit is also a face saving way to exit (hopefully for a long time) and it gives Jesse his big chance. People on here have been calling the need for Jetta to have a break rather than get dropped for a long time and obviously the selectors are reading your posts! So no arguments from me about the team, now lets get the motivation to win!

sWAns63
10th June 2010, 06:40 PM
He needs to find where the posts are he should play up forward in the ressies and try to get his confidence back he would be an asset against the pies but only if focused

Matty10
10th June 2010, 06:43 PM
"Fatigue" the official explanation for resting Jetta - Fatigued Jetta set for quick return (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=96105).

Fair enough.

Melbourne_Blood
10th June 2010, 06:48 PM
Interesting. I'm happy with that. Say, maybe a Vespa or MOD for Bevan and I'd be sweet with this line-up. Will be interesting when Braddy and Bolts come back to see what happens if there are no further injuries.

When C Bolts is ready to return, somethings going to have give in our defence. IMO either Mattner or Shaw will have to make way. Mal and Tadgh provide the best run, and with C Bolton back the defensive side of things is going to be solid. Also i wonder how Jarrad Moore is going to fit into the picture? I like him as a player, and thinksd he is in our best 22, but looking at the team sheet, it's hard to see a spot for him. Particularly with Jetta to come back as well

Nich
10th June 2010, 06:53 PM
When C Bolts is ready to return, somethings going to have give in our defence. IMO either Mattner or Shaw will have to make way. Mal and Tadgh provide the best run, and with C Bolton back the defensive side of things is going to be solid. Also i wonder how Jarrad Moore is going to fit into the picture? I like him as a player, and thinksd he is in our best 22, but looking at the team sheet, it's hard to see a spot for him. Particularly with Jetta to come back as well

Yeah for sure. I forgot about Moore! Naturally every team has a few injuries which pave the way for some players to get a crack but if we get back to a good place with fitness we will have some talent sitting in the emergencies queue!

Melbourne_Blood
10th June 2010, 07:07 PM
Looking at Port's forward line, they are going in very short, Trengove the only one with any real height among the starting forwards ( correct me if I'm wrong, i did quickly double check their stats). Which means we are going to be probably too tall down back, and therefore, i wouldn't be surpised to see Grundy or even LRT playing up forward for parts of this game. Personally i think Grundy would be great up there, as his marking is strong and he has played forward before

ugg
10th June 2010, 07:19 PM
Umpires
Shaun RYAN (25)
Scott JEFFERY (29)
Jacob MOLLISON (32)

Our record under them since 2005
Ryan - 8 wins 10 losses 2 draws (40.0%)
Jeffery - 6 wins 7 losses (46.2%)
Mollison - 2 wins (100.0%)

31 hard at it
10th June 2010, 07:24 PM
Playfair out for McGlynn - got to add some pace to the forward movement and open up for Jesse and Goodes to get some goals.
McGlynn's pace into the forward half created so many oportunities in those winning games.
Kennelly for Jetta is logical as the Jet has been good in short bursts but we need thrust from the half backs all day.
Discussion re Moore, C Bolton and Bradshaw is great - choices - depth - what we had when everyone was up and going.

Peace
10th June 2010, 07:25 PM

hartijons relentless criticism ;)

pretty happy with those ins and outs. mcglynn to kick at least 5!

sWAns63
10th June 2010, 07:28 PM
Looking at Port's forward line, they are going in very short, Trengove the only one with any real height among the starting forwards ( correct me if I'm wrong, i did quickly double check their stats). Which means we are going to be probably too tall down back, and therefore, i wouldn't be surpised to see Grundy or even LRT playing up forward for parts of this game. Personally i think Grundy would be great up there, as his marking is strong and he has played forward before

Stewart will probably play up forward as well he's listed on the bench

Damien
10th June 2010, 07:33 PM
Starting to look as if we may just have nearly the best side available for the Pies match. Exciting stuff.

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 07:42 PM
hartijons relentless criticism ;)

pretty happy with those ins and outs. mcglynn to kick at least 5!

Hey Hey! I love the guy. I also reckon he is a good footballer too apart from his marking,crumbing ,tackling . chasing and kicking.Don't really know about handball coz you have to get the ball first before you can handball. Apart from these small issues he is great!

goswannie14
10th June 2010, 07:44 PM
Would love to have seen Vez for Bevan.I would love to see anyone for Bevan.

Peace
10th June 2010, 07:45 PM
News just in! Henry Playfair has just necked himself! :(

JudesaGun
10th June 2010, 08:03 PM
I would love to see anyone for Bevan.

Agreed.

satchmopugdog
10th June 2010, 09:23 PM
What do you mean??????about Playfair?

Matty10
10th June 2010, 09:28 PM
What do you mean??????about Playfair?

Don't stress - it was just a sarcastic comment by 'Peace' in relation to all the unwarranted negativity that Playfair cops on these boards.

stellation
10th June 2010, 09:41 PM
I would love to see anyone for Bevan.

I am going to take that as you'd rather see me in for Bevo, and I have to be honest- I appreciate it.

I'll be honest, I come in to the team with some unbloodslike limitations;
1. I'm not going to put my head over the ball
2. I'm not going to get to every contest
3. If I see my man running away with the ball and he's got about a 1/2 metre on me I'm probably not going to chase
4. If I have the choice between sheparding for a teammate or sneaking out the back so he can slip me a quick handball just before he gets cleaned up then sure, I'm gonna slip out the back

What I can offer is that I am dazzling handsome, an extremely accurate kick and can keep my teammates focused on the game when the ball's down the other end by singing "Pet Sounds" in its entirety over and over again. God only knows where the Swans forward line would be without me.

cruiser
10th June 2010, 09:44 PM
Starting to look as if we may just have nearly the best side available for the Pies match. Exciting stuff. So long as we dont cop anymore injuries before then.

goswannie14
10th June 2010, 09:51 PM
I am going to take that as you'd rather see me in for Bevo, and I have to be honest- I appreciate it.

3. If I see my man running away with the ball and he's got about a 1/2 metre on me I'm probably not going to chase
4. If I have the choice between sheparding for a teammate or sneaking out the back so he can slip me a quick handball just before he gets cleaned up then sure, I'm gonna slip out the back

What I can offer is that I am dazzling handsome, an extremely accurate kick and can keep my teammates focused on the game when the ball's down the other end by singing "Pet Sounds" in its entirety over and over again. God only knows where the Swans forward line would be without me.I'll pass that on to the match committee, but i was thinking of me.:)

Triple B
10th June 2010, 09:58 PM

What I can offer is that I am dazzling handsome, an extremely accurate kick and can keep my teammates focused on the game when the ball's down the other end by singing "Pet Sounds" in its entirety over and over again. God only knows where the Swans forward line would be without me.

Welcome to the board Nick.

stellation
10th June 2010, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the board Nick.

A reference that took a good 16 minutes longer than I expected to be made! :D

Davo would just get stuck in a loop of Sloop John B. The boy's crazy!

aardvark
10th June 2010, 10:02 PM
Good to see Jetta is having a break. Two weeks off and lots of ressies goals will do him the world of good.

stellation
10th June 2010, 10:06 PM
I'll pass that on to the match committee, but i was thinking of me.:)

Well this is awkward!

goswannie14
10th June 2010, 10:40 PM
well this is awkward!
lol

Nico
10th June 2010, 10:46 PM
News just in! Henry Playfair has just necked himself! :(

Stupid comment.

ernie koala
10th June 2010, 11:03 PM
When C Bolts is ready to return, somethings going to have give in our defence. IMO either Mattner or Shaw will have to make way. Mal and Tadgh provide the best run, and with C Bolton back the defensive side of things is going to be solid.

Malceski provides more run than Shaw??? Not from what I've seen. Malceski is a beautiful kick, but he was poor last week and showed a few signs of last years softness, and if he continues that form he'll be first to go. Shaw has been playing run with roles lately and has been doing an excellent job of shutting down some dangerous players.
On another note....Playfair out....sigh of relief....Bevo hanging on...not for long.....would of liked to see Moore, Vespa or MOD.... but you can't have everythink.

The Goodes
11th June 2010, 12:03 AM
I'm pretty content with these changes for the week. Great to see McGlynn and Tiger back (if that's how it pans out). I'd be happy to see Bevan dropped for either one of Richards or Vez. I'm glad the match committee are putting Jetta away for a little bit though. Everybody knows he's flashy, but he's young, and I think the pressure is eating him a little at the moment. He's going to be a Superstar-no question. But a well rested, confident young body is better than a knackered, underdone and uninspired one any day...yes? The stint in the 2's is going to be fantastic for him, and I wish him all the very best. The same will probably happen to Rohan in a few weeks time too. Especially if the finals look like being a certainty (you can't expect miracles from the kids ALL the time-and you want them at their best if that's what eventuates). I'm looking forward to a great game at the weekend, in an exciting phase of the teams overall development, win or lose. Looking forward to Moore coming back when he's ready also. GO BLOODS!!!

Nich
11th June 2010, 12:14 AM
Watched a replay of the Bombers game today. Rohan's first goal, his 2nd to an extent as well and his third show how dangerous his pace is. That first goal, he dropped Dempsey in a flash and only missed the mark when Hurley who was floating off Pyke came across. The 2nd one, he was all alone at the top of the square for a long time. He dropped Dempsey again for his third. I've said it once on here (I think), please Mr Roos, do not play him back. They played him back 1st quarter. He came out in the 2nd up forward and kicked two to keep us in touch both times. He is going to be good. His taggers can't keep up with him. Blistering pace. If we can start getting good penetration inside 50 (I still hope) he is going to be LETHAL in a few years. Quality.

Melbourne_Blood
11th June 2010, 12:35 AM
Malceski provides more run than Shaw??? Not from what I've seen. Malceski is a beautiful kick, but he was poor last week and showed a few signs of last years softness, and if he continues that form he'll be first to go. Shaw has been playing run with roles lately and has been doing an excellent job of shutting down some dangerous players.
On another note....Playfair out....sigh of relief....Bevo hanging on...not for long.....would of liked to see Moore, Vespa or MOD.... but you can't have everythink.

Yeah i stuffed up there. But I'd still have him before Shaw. When he's on, his creative and pin point kicking is as good as any from half back in the comp. Easily the best in our side. I believe his to be one of the most important roles in our team, and there is know one else in our side who can perform that role like Mal. It's no coincedence that when we were in good form in the first six rounds Malceski's form and particularly his kicking game were outstanding. He usually provides good run too, just not as quick as Shaw. Shaws pace is matched only but the rate at which his clangers come straight back into the defensive 50. I know Shaw's s been doing good jobs recently but Mal has still been one of our better performed this year, it's just that he's so good when he plays bad it gets picked up on a lot more. I doubt we'll be seeing Malceski getting dropped anytime soon. I think hes still got improvement in him too. Thats not to say Shaw will be the one to make way, but for me its out of him or Mattner. Malceski and a fit Tadgh are easily our two best HBF's.

The Goodes
11th June 2010, 12:40 AM
Watched a replay of the Bombers game today. Rohan's first goal, his 2nd to an extent as well and his third show how dangerous his pace is. That first goal, he dropped Dempsey in a flash and only missed the mark when Hurley who was floating off Pyke came across. The 2nd one, he was all alone at the top of the square for a long time. He dropped Dempsey again for his third. I've said it once on here (I think), please Mr Roos, do not play him back. They played him back 1st quarter. He came out in the 2nd up forward and kicked two to keep us in touch both times. He is going to be good. His taggers can't keep up with him. Blistering pace. If we can start getting good penetration inside 50 (I still hope) he is going to be LETHAL in a few years. Quality.

He IS going to be lethal. I like him in the backline though. Others here have suggested that he reminds them of Leppitsch, and I agree (awesome in both positions...plus a Ranga). Dangerous at either end of the ground. I think the Club need to look hard at his contract and do everything to ensure that he doesn't end up somewhere like Geelong (who I understand he barracked for).

BSA5
11th June 2010, 01:24 AM

Malceski wasn't soft at all against the Bombers. He wasn't at his best, sure, but the spoiling attempt against Jetta was him misreading the ball, not squibbing, and the rest of the time he was as willing as anybody to do the hard stuff (well, maybe not Jude, but that's nothing to be ashamed of). Malceski had numerous important touches across half back and repelled countless attacks. He was far, far from disgraced.

Bloody Hell
11th June 2010, 03:47 AM
I'd dispute that. With Smith not really playing on the very small forwards this year, and no Crouch, that job has largely fallen to Shaw and has gone unheralded. And I don't think we've been cut up so far this year by a small forward. Davey did kick a couple of goals on Sunday - and noticeably outmarked Shaw on one occasion - but I still don't think he cut Shaw up. So Shaw's defensive contributions have actually been quite important, and he is still providing rebound as well.

I want to make this clear. I am not bagging Shaw, I think he is a good player, just not as good as Mattner. With the inclusion of Tiger and Malcheski there was always going to be pressure on these guys - though we all hoped that the team could work with 4 rebounding defenders it hasn't.

Bolton's role from the start of the season was to take the small forward. When he went out Smith took over his role, and has currently graduated to the No.1 shutdown role for the team, whether it be small forward or midfielder.

Shaw's role has been to take the left overs, a role normally given to young players...or Bevan.

Mattner is a much better defender and is always given tougher assignments by the coaching staff.

Shaw's running/rebounding strength shown last year tisn't that impressive with the return of Mal and Tiger. The majority of his "impressive" runs were across the park, with noone coming at him. Running the switch takes a good 5 - 10 seconds (or 4 bounces) 50m that allows the opposition to flood back and man up on opponents. The difference is particularly prevalent with the return of Kennelly, who always runs towards the goals and favours the corridor more than any other player in the league. Both Malcheski and Mattner's first instint is forward (both look inboard towards the corridor if they're on the wing - Malcheski more so), Shaw's instinct is to go sideways...with the others in the team Shaw's sideways run is no longer used, and he has been assigned more defensive positions.

I'm not saying Shaw is crap, just that he is somewhat redundant in a defense where it is very competative for positions. The emergence of Smith has made this more so. If there is a seriously dangerous small forward Smith will start on him, he has really taken over the Crouch role.

Bloody Hell
11th June 2010, 03:54 AM
Disagree. I think we underrate Shaw's assignments. He blanketed Rioli against Hawthorn for example. Now, his attacking game wasn't the best (in fact, it was possibly his worst for the Swans), but he did a VERY good job on Rioli. He did a similarly good job last year against Dane Swan who was in red-hot form. I also think he's more damaging than Mattner, he's a far better kick, probably equal decision maker, and finds more of the ball. The only place that Mattner beats Shaw is peeling off his man and affecting aerial contests, and supplying a tough body at ground contests, but we have plenty of players that do that. Shaw provides something new that we don't have. We'd be a much poorer side without Shaw's run.

See previous post. Both Mattner AND Shaw don't have the best disposal. IMO Mattner is a better long kick and seems to get more shots on goal.

Agree with that I guess, but the coaching staff are intent on playing him at CHF, and I don't really mind it. He could be listed on a HFF or wing, with McGlynn or Jack respectively moving into a forward pocket and White being listed at CHF, but it doesn't really matter. They're all on the park, it can be sorted out when it needs to be!

Yep - hopefully someone bites the bullet on this one. If I were an opposition coach I'd be very happy seeing Goodes line up at CHF knowing if he starts to get on top (which hasn't happened yet) I can double team him with little impact to my strategy.

I do think Smith is ahead of Jack as a tagger. But I also really rate Smith's work as a small defender. Against sides that don't really have dangerous small forward, by all means play Smith in the middle on a dangerous midfielder, but when we're up against blokes like LeCras, Milne, S. Johnson, Didak, etc, guys that you wouldn't really trust Mattner or Malceski or even Shaw to really clamp down on, I'd play Smith on them. Smith is a gun defensive player, he doesn't shirk the hard ball, and he is brilliantly composed coming out of defence.

Again, it's a matter of horses for courses, and I certainly don't think Smith should be relegated to the small defender role indefinitely, but I think against top small defenders, he's of most use there. Kirk still has it in him to tag (though it seems nowadays he has to almost completely sacrifice his attacking game to do so), Jack too (though not as good as Smith, definitely), McGlynn even. We have options that mean we don't need Smith to be a permanent midfield fixture.

I thiink this last bit conflicts with the first bit you wrote, almost saying Shaw's role is redundant, with the return of Bolton. In concert with my previous post, of course ;)

The emergence of Rohan, Hannebery and Smith who were not in the best 22 at the start of the year will put alot of pressure on the established players when (if :p) everyone is fit and something is going to have to give. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Bloody Hell
11th June 2010, 03:58 AM
getting reamed by his opponent.

:d

Bloody Hell
11th June 2010, 03:59 AM

Malcheski had ONE bad game in a year where people are/were talking about him for AA.

This post is OTT.

Big Al
11th June 2010, 09:04 AM
The emergence of Rohan, Hannebery and Smith who were not in the best 22 at the start of the year will put alot of pressure on the established players when (if :p) everyone is fit and something is going to have to give. Will be interesting to see what happens.

It's a good problem to have.

The emergence of some if these players has me so excited about the years ahead. I know we can heap a lot of expectation and pressure on young players who show promise but I think with this current crop of youngsters this expectation isn't unfounded. Rohan, Hanners, Jetta, Smith,Jesse and with luck Vez and LJ will all form the nucleus of our next premiership.

i'm-uninformed2
11th June 2010, 09:57 AM

At risk of converting this thread, one of the three greatest albums ever, and their finest single!

undy
11th June 2010, 10:33 AM
Along with "London Calling", but you'll never get consensus on a third.

The last few years I've been dispatched to a conference in Las Vegas (in June, so I've generally missed a game and got bloody hot). Last year the slightly reconstituted but still excellent Beach Boys played the party (at the beach at Mandalay Bay). The year before it was Train, who playing the Swans/Collingwood game. I guess that means that they are in the same ball-park price-wise, so we could have got Brian and the boys. Wouldn't it be nice ?

Reggi
11th June 2010, 10:48 AM
I guess you wouldn't want Vez to Train in Vain

ernie koala
11th June 2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah i stuffed up there. But I'd still have him before Shaw. When he's on, his creative and pin point kicking is as good as any from half back in the comp. Easily the best in our side. I believe his to be one of the most important roles in our team, and there is know one else in our side who can perform that role like Mal. It's no coincedence that when we were in good form in the first six rounds Malceski's form and particularly his kicking game were outstanding. He usually provides good run too, just not as quick as Shaw. Shaws pace is matched only but the rate at which his clangers come straight back into the defensive 50. I know Shaw's s been doing good jobs recently but Mal has still been one of our better performed this year, it's just that he's so good when he plays bad it gets picked up on a lot more. I doubt we'll be seeing Malceski getting dropped anytime soon. I think hes still got improvement in him too. Thats not to say Shaw will be the one to make way, but for me its out of him or Mattner. Malceski and a fit Tadgh are easily our two best HBF's.

Yeah I agree with all that, so long as he doesn't slip back into last years form. I can't see Shaw being dropped given his effectiveness in shuting down. If that feature of his game falls away then maybe he'd be under pressure to hold his place. But as sure as night follows day, there will be more injuries and this senario is unlikely to surface.

undy
11th June 2010, 11:12 AM
I guess you wouldn't want Vez to Train in Vain

I think he is taking it OK, its all about discipline - he got busted for being the card cheat during the clampdown and now he hasn't got the right profile, but he says "I'm not down". Of course Longmire has his favourites amongst the youngsters and the four horsemen were always going to get in the team first.

satchmopugdog
11th June 2010, 11:35 AM
Undy..you are on fire today...

Primmy
11th June 2010, 11:44 AM
At risk of converting this thread, one of the three greatest albums ever, and their finest single!

Oh my yes; and to think I only discovered it in the last two years! I mean, slow developer or what!!! How I missed that I don't know. mmm mmmmm mm mmm mmmmm m m mmm m m mmm mmmmmmm. relish.... I'll join in with you Stella....Undy (the Mandalay....the aquarium) .... wouldn't it be nice....

Nich
11th June 2010, 12:22 PM
'Roos said McGlynn's return and the emergence of Sydney's other first round draft pick Gary Rohan, as a handy goal kicker, meant Sydney could rest Playfair without worrying about a potential drop off in scoring.'

Sweet. Please stop playing him down back and I'll be a happy camper : ) (Rohan that is)

Hartijon
11th June 2010, 12:40 PM
'Roos said McGlynn's return and the emergence of Sydney's other first round draft pick Gary Rohan, as a handy goal kicker, meant Sydney could rest Playfair without worrying about a potential drop off in scoring.'

Sweet. Please stop playing him down back and I'll be a happy camper : ) (Rohan that is)

Can any of the stats people confirm Roosey's statement? What is Playfair's average goal tally per game? It must be pretty good if Roos is worried that dropping him might drop off the scoring.

ugg
11th June 2010, 12:45 PM
Can any of the stats people confirm Roosey's statement? What is Playfair's average goal tally per game? It must be pretty good if Roos is worried that dropping him might drop off the scoring.
RedAndWhiteOnline.com - Top Scorers (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=scorers&year=2010)

giant
11th June 2010, 01:17 PM

Well, almost unheralded.

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/30410-Rhyce-Shaw?highlight=Rhyce+Shaw

hammo
11th June 2010, 01:36 PM
Do we know who the travelling emergency/ies is yet?

Vesz may get the call up as MOD didn't play reserves last week and they'd be keen to keep him playing, assuming we go for a runner as the travelling emergency.

There must be a little doubt on Tadhg actually playing??

liz
11th June 2010, 01:39 PM
Well, almost unheralded.

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/30410-Rhyce-Shaw?highlight=Rhyce+Shaw

Fair call. The link to that thread is a good reminder that Shaw's role this year has been different and that defensively he has been pretty effective. Especially when Kennelly is back and Mal is "on", any rebound Shaw provides is almost just a bonus.

swansrule100
11th June 2010, 01:43 PM
some of the suggestions you see here from time to time baffle me. Eg shaw malceski these sorts of guys, they are no where near being dropped.

Out of this weeks 22 id say as of right now the following just arent in line to be moved from the seniors (unless something dramatic happens form wise or injuries etc)

Rhyce Shaw, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Nick Smith
Martin Mattner, Heath Grundy, Tadhg Kennelly
Nick Malceski, Brett Kirk,
Ryan O'Keefe, Adam Goodes, Josh Kennedy
F: Daniel Hannebery, , Kieren Jack
, Ben McGlynn,

i would put bird in there but give him a few weeks from injury, rohan i left out because being first year is always a possibility to shift out for a rest and hanners might fall into that bracket but doubt it.

Jewels
11th June 2010, 03:25 PM
some of the suggestions you see here from time to time baffle me. Eg shaw malceski these sorts of guys, they are no where near being dropped.

Out of this weeks 22 id say as of right now the following just arent in line to be moved from the seniors (unless something dramatic happens form wise or injuries etc)

, Ben McGlynn,

i would put bird in there but give him a few weeks from injury, rohan i left out because being first year is always a possibility to shift out for a rest and hanners might fall into that bracket but doubt it.

WE tend to forget that even though it's Hanners second year, he is a couple of years younger then Jetta and only four months older then Rohan.

Bloody Hell
11th June 2010, 03:47 PM

, Ben McGlynn,

You've misread the posts about Shaw and Malcheski. We were talking about our strongest 22 with no injuries to the list, not the current situation.

Peace
11th June 2010, 04:00 PM
i find it amazing that port are favourites for this game considering their current form and ours.

giant
11th June 2010, 04:16 PM
i find it amazing that port are favourites for this game considering their current form and ours.

Ours? We've one won of our last 5 games! Hardly sparkling. That said, I'm also a little surprised to see many people tipping Port - who knows which Port will turn up I guess?

Nich
11th June 2010, 04:29 PM
Tadhg from what I've heard isn't a definite starter for the game and Roosy pretty much said he will be named but he still needs to improve before Saturday night.

Does anyone know who is flying with the team as the Emergency?

Peace
11th June 2010, 04:29 PM
sorry, I meant our last 2 games have been a whole lot better than theirs!

ugg
11th June 2010, 04:45 PM
Tadhg from what I've heard isn't a definite starter for the game and Roosy pretty much said he will be named but he still needs to improve before Saturday night.

Does anyone know who is flying with the team as the Emergency?
Ted Richards and Pat Veszpremi. Two travelling emergencies would seem to suggest that Tadhg is in serious doubt.

swansrule100
11th June 2010, 05:07 PM
You've misread the posts about Shaw and Malcheski. We were talking about our strongest 22 with no injuries to the list, not the current situation.

i meant just in all the threads in general over the whole season

Bleed Red Blood
11th June 2010, 05:23 PM
Ted Richards and Pat Veszpremi. Two travelling emergencies would seem to suggest that Tadhg is in serious doubt.

Richards? Don't need another tall..
Bring on VES!

sWAns63
11th June 2010, 05:38 PM
Richards? Don't need another tall..
Bring on VES!

Kennelly & McGlynn one reserve game between them isn't that right? since getting injured I would leave out Kennelly and bring in Ves

Bloody Hell
11th June 2010, 06:14 PM
Kennelly & McGlynn one reserve game between them isn't that right? since getting injured I would leave out Kennelly and bring in Ves

I don't understand why they would risk Kennelly with the split round coming up????

CJK
11th June 2010, 06:19 PM
Was in the bathroom and found yesterdays SMH a colleague had let behind.

From reading the token Swans story it seemed that TK had no chance of playing.

sWAns63
11th June 2010, 06:42 PM
Was in the bathroom and found yesterdays SMH a colleague had let behind.

From reading the token Swans story it seemed that TK had no chance of playing.
He shouldn't be rushed back........there's no need!

Triple B
11th June 2010, 06:47 PM
I don't understand why they would risk Kennelly with the split round coming up????

He shouldn't be rushed back........there's no need!

Who say's it is a risk and why do you think he is being 'rushed' back in.

I agree, certainly no need to rush him back if there was even the slightest doubt, therefore I'd respectfully suggest he is 100%.

Melbourne_Blood
11th June 2010, 06:48 PM
Yes, it does seem a little odd. Maybe Roosy's not showing his hand yet ? Ace up his sleeve .........Vez ?
Between him and McGlynn, they could pose some headaches for Choco

Nich
11th June 2010, 06:54 PM
There was a gallery of photos from Sydney's training session last Friday and Tadhg wasn't even training. He sat it out. It was pretty wet though so I suspect that had something to do with it. However, I'm not convinced he's 100% (and as I type this Channel 10 runs a story showing Tadhg at the Airport and the great man himself talking about how great it is that his body heals quicker than normal!) : )

cruiser
11th June 2010, 06:59 PM
I don't understand why they would risk Kennelly with the split round coming up???? Ummm, probably because this game is crucial. An eight pointer against another top 8 contender and a team we have a very real chance of beating. 7-5 into the break will do me fine.

sWAns63
11th June 2010, 07:04 PM
There was a gallery of photos from Sydney's training session last Friday and Tadhg wasn't even training. He sat it

That would do it then there is concern over Tadhgs fitness

Matimbo
11th June 2010, 07:57 PM
Re Tadhg ... Ross was quoted again talking about his fast recovery rate from injuries. Ever since his knee op years back when he stayed up nights in a row icing it to get back on the field weeks early they have been very confident with his powers of recuperation. We all see him as a bit vulnerable because he pops his shoulder often, but they obviously know different. I can't recall a previous move by the staff to rush him back from injury backfiring badly - can anybody comment?

Re Ves ... bloody hell, whats with all the man-crushes??? I haven't really seen him play but based on seeing all you guys pleading for his inclusion every week, he must be a cross between Gary Ablett and Brad Pitt. Bro-mance is alive and well.

Chookbilly
11th June 2010, 08:32 PM
Re Tadhg ... Ross was quoted again talking about his fast recovery rate from injuries. Ever since his knee op years back when he stayed up nights in a row icing it to get back on the field weeks early they have been very confident with his powers of recuperation. We all see him as a bit vulnerable because he pops his shoulder often, but they obviously know different. I can't recall a previous move by the staff to rush him back from injury backfiring badly - can anybody comment?

Re Ves ... bloody hell, whats with all the man-crushes??? I haven't really seen him play but based on seeing all you guys pleading for his inclusion every week, he must be a cross between Gary Ablett and Brad Pitt. Bro-mance is alive and well.

As if you wouldn't boof him given half a chance! :D

stellation
11th June 2010, 09:08 PM
Oh my yes; and to think I only discovered it in the last two years! I mean, slow developer or what!!! How I missed that I don't know. mmm mmmmm mm mmm mmmmm m m mmm m m mmm mmmmmmm. relish.... I'll join in with you Stella....Undy (the Mandalay....the aquarium) .... wouldn't it be nice....
My dad sat me down one rainy day when I was young and played Rubber Soul, then Pet Sounds and then Sgt Peppers and explained the flow to me. He's a good man. :)

Bleed Red Blood
11th June 2010, 09:31 PM
We all see him as a bit vulnerable because he pops his shoulder often, but they obviously know different. I can't recall a previous move by the staff to rush him back from injury backfiring badly - can anybody comment?

Not Kennelly, but there have been numerous instances over the Roos era of players being out on the ground who probably shouldn't have been. Look at Craig Bolton this year, had the achillies injury over the pre-season, was obviously ineffective due to it and was played till breaking point which coincided with the weeks we needed him most.

Doctor
11th June 2010, 11:06 PM
RedAndWhiteOnline.com - Top Scorers (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=scorers&year=2010)

Well if ever we needed further proof that having two surnames was a recipe for confusion, here it is. Even an esteemed website such as this has problems with Campbell Heath.

Bloody Hell
12th June 2010, 08:46 AM
Well if ever we needed further proof that having two surnames was a recipe for confusion, here it is. Even an esteemed website such as this has problems with Campbell Heath.

There are some names that stand out on that list in terms of %. Hannebery, Rohan, Smith, Jetta and.....

Nich
12th June 2010, 09:22 AM
There are some names that stand out on that list in terms of %. Hannebery, Rohan, Smith, Jetta and.....

Aren't there what.

Jesse White - 10 games - 11goals, 5 behinds, 68.8%, 1.1 p/game
Gary Rohan - 5 games - 6 goals, 1 behind, 85.7%, 1.2 p/game

Young Gaz is going alright up front when you compare the two, considering he's been played at half back for a large percentage of those games.

That list also explains why we've been screwed (not that we didn't already know) without D-Bra and B-Mac. 5.4 goals p/game between them.

stellation
12th June 2010, 10:03 AM
Aren't there what.

Jesse White - 10 games - 11goals, 5 behinds, 68.8%, 1.1 p/game
Gary Rohan - 5 games - 6 goals, 1 behind, 85.7%, 1.2 p/game

Young Gaz is going alright up front when you compare the two, considering he's been played at half back for a large percentage of those games.

That list also explains why we've been screwed (not that we didn't already know) without D-Bra and B-Mac. 5.4 goals p/game between them.
Keep in mind that White has probably spent as much time in the ruck as Rohan has in the backline this season. Hitting at about 70% is fine for a forward.

Nich
12th June 2010, 10:28 AM
Oh for sure. It wasn't too much of a Jesse bash, just saying how we look to Jesse up front as being a key target when in fact Rohan is contributing as much if not more. It was more praise for the Rang then a blight on Jesse. The kid is going great.

stellation
12th June 2010, 10:34 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love me some Rohan as well and I get what you mean! :)

Jewels
12th June 2010, 01:43 PM

You forgot Henry on 80%:p

Primmy
12th June 2010, 03:18 PM
You forgot Henry on 80%:p

don't mention the war....

Big Al
13th June 2010, 12:58 AM
Outs:

Enjoy your egg. :D

top40
13th June 2010, 08:09 AM
Outs:

Ins:

Aren't you glad Malceski wasn't dropped. Dropping him for the Port game was not an unreasonable position. Thank goodness the selections retain faith in him.

Hartijon
13th June 2010, 09:34 AM
Enjoy your egg. :D

Loving it and its on my plate not my face.
Let me explain so that you finally get it. My comments about the Eski referred to LAST weeks game and not this weeks game and were my opinion back then.I cerainly was not alone in that opinion..Last time I looked it was a free country and I am entitled to my opinon. Its rare to see a senior player "dragged" and he was clearly upset with himself for slipping from his own high standards. Being the champion player he is ,he responded tohis poor game LAST week with a blinder and all praise to him. I am confident he knew he had to put a good one in. Great to see LJ kick another 5 goals in the reserves and TDL 4 goals.

Hartijon
13th June 2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah,really glad and its a shame you didn't refer to a later post where I admitted dropping him was probably too harsh. This is "water under the brige now" surely .Raising the issue back then gave a us a few good posts in an otherwise boring week, so yu should thank me for that.And yes.I can be wrong and make mistakes too. So what?

Primmy
13th June 2010, 09:55 AM
Ooohhh....Hart! Pedal pedal pedal.....go you good thing...

RogueSwan
13th June 2010, 09:58 AM
....And yes.I can be wrong and make mistakes too. So what?
I think that was the whole point Al was trying to make. You've never pointed out anyone's mistakes? :) (cough,cough, Malceski, cough)

Big Al
13th June 2010, 09:59 AM
Loving it and its on my plate not my face.
Let me explain so that you finally get it. My comments about the Eski referred to LAST weeks game and not this weeks game and were my opinion back then.I cerainly was not alone in that opinion..Last time I looked it was a free country and I am entitled to my opinon. Its rare to see a senior player "dragged" and he was clearly upset with himself for slipping from his own high standards. Being the champion player he is ,he responded tohis poor game LAST week with a blinder and all praise to him. I am confident he knew he had to put a good one in. Great to see LJ kick another 5 goals in the reserves and TDL 4 goals.

Did you notice the smile in my post. I was taking the piss, so lighten up will ya.

Hartijon
13th June 2010, 10:27 AM
Did you notice the smile in my post. I was taking the piss, so lighten up will ya.

:D:o.Sorry,didn't get the body language! Nice to know you gotta sense of humour! you gotta realise its6:30am here and I just woke up! Sorry for being overreactive!I need another coffee

Big Al
13th June 2010, 10:29 AM
:D:o.Sorry,didn't get the body language! Nice to know you gotta sense of humour! you gotta realise its6:30am here and I just woke up! Sorry for being overreactive!I need another coffee

Know the feeling very very well. Have a good one.