PDA

View Full Version : AFL Canberra Round 10: Reserves v Queanbeyan

ugg
24th June 2010, 06:15 PM
AFL Canberra Round 10
Sydney Swans Reserves v Queanbeyan
Saturday 26th June 2010 3.50pm
ANZ Stadium

After a string of games in Canberra, the Reserves make a long awaited return to Sydney (fingers crossed the weather doesn't cause another reschedule)

Ladder
Team|Wins|Losses|Draws|Points|For|Against|Percenta ge
Reserves|7|1|1|30|1053|765|137.65%
Belconnen|6|3|0|24|745|745|100.00%
Ainslie|4|4|1|18|837|793|105.55%
Queanbeyan|4|5|0|16|826|853|96.83%
{colsp=8}------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eastlake|3|6|0|12|855|799|107.01%
Tuggeranong|2|7|0|8|774|1135|68.19%

Past Meetings
R2 Queanbeyan 16.9 (105) defeated by Reserves 19.14 (128)

A high-scoring shootout down in Canberra, 17 listed players fronted for the side and the goals were shared round with 5 players booting 2 goals each. Nick Smith, Mike Pyke and Daniel Currie were named as the Swans best on the day.

R5 Reserves 19.15 (129) defeated Queanbeyan 18.13 (121)
R10 Queanbeyan 12.14 (86) defeated by Reserves 15.11 (101)
R15 Queanbeyan 7.15 (57) defeated by Reserves 26.21 (177)

Recent Form
Reserves - LWDWW
Queanbeyan - LLLLW

Last Round
Eastlake 8.13 (61) defeated by Reserves 14.12 (96)
The Reserves completed their 5th straight away game with a comfortable victory over the Demons. Kristin Thornton and forwards Lewis Johnston (5 goals) & Trent Dennis-Lane (4 goals) were the Swans best players.

Queanbeyan 23.8 (146) defeated Tuggeranong 13.18 (96)

Team List
Listed players

7. Brett Meredith
8. Trent Dennis-Lane
10. Daniel Currie
13. Pat Veszpremi (Senior emergency)
22. Byron Sumner
23. Lewis Johnston
25. Ted Richards (Senior emergency)
26. Henry Playfair
27. Kristin Thornton
28. Dylan McNeil
33. Jarred Moore
35. Campbell Heath
36. Chris McKaigue
43. Matthew O'Dwyer
45. Nathan Gordon

In: Veszpremi (Senior demotion) Richards (Non-playing senior emergency) Playfair (injury) Heath (rest?)
Out: Ed Barlow (rest?) Sam Reid (rest?) Lewis Jetta (senior emergency/rest?) Taylor Gilchrist (rest?)

4 ins and 4 (unexplained) outs. Perhaps the coaching staff have settled on 15 listed players as a manageable number of players who they think will get a useful amount of game time (max 13 on field + 2 on the bench). It's somewhat disappointing that Reid and McNeil have to miss out as they have been consistently amongst the best players for the Swans this year.

Scholarship Players

49. Jack Lynch
48. Jackson Potter

In: Potter
Out: Mitch May

Top ups

51. Kieran Emery (North Shore)
50. Eugene Kruger (East Coast)
54. Harry Orr (Sydney Uni?)
53. Mal Picken (Wollongong)
47. Angus Robson (UNSW/ES)

Semi-regular Emery gets another game while Kruger is the only other one to have played for this year, all the way back in Round 1.

Reserves leading goalkickers

Trent Dennis-Lane 26
Lewis Johnston 22
Henry Playfair 15

For full list: 2010 Goalkickers - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/../wiki/index.php?title=2010_Goalkickers)

Reserves leading votegetters

Dylan McNeil 30
Daniel Currie 26
Matthew O'Dwyer 25

For full list: 2010 Best votes - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/../wiki/index.php?title=2010_Best_votes)

Talking points

According to Roos, Moore continues to be troubled by his ankle injury and one suspects that he will not be recalled to the seniors until he can prove he can run out these games without any trouble.
Jetta plays his second reserves game, will that elusive goal continue to elude him?
The stakes are starting to heat up in the goalkicking race. Both Johnston and TDL have 9 goals total from the past 2 rounds. They will be joined by Playfair and possibly Emery to form a potent combination up forward.
In the absence of McNeil, it will be a wonderfully opportunity for Veszpremi, MOD, Moore and Meredith to spend time in the middle - a position they don't get much of a chance at seniors level.
It will be the first chance for Sydney-based supporters to see Sumner in action (excluding the NAB Cup)

Primmy
24th June 2010, 08:57 PM
Bless you ugg. You a frustrated sports journalist?

dimelb
24th June 2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks ugg.
The more people we take off the injury list, the keener the competition for places, and the more chance of getting our ultimate 22 on the paddock. We await the results with great anticipation.

ugg
25th June 2010, 06:17 PM
Updated the team list. The changes from the initial post are:

In: McNeil, Gordon, Picken
Out: Barlow, Jetta, May, Bell

Also put the jumper numbers for the scholarship and top up players. That'll make Primmy happy. :)

Primmy
26th June 2010, 12:39 PM
You betcha ugg.

ALSO, the Swans website is promoting the ressies for today! Whodathortit!!!! I have been pushing that for years, I bet it was our mole at the club who suggested it. Umm, that came out wrong didn't it. Oh no, its ok, that was moll I was thinking of. Sorry Larissa.

ugg
26th June 2010, 04:21 PM
Doing live updates on twitter from 3.50. Questions comments are welcome just put @swansreserves in your tweet so I can see them

Donners
26th June 2010, 06:45 PM
Wow, five each to Playfair and TDL if I read it correctly.

Edit: 7 to TDL in the end, in a 132 point win!

Bloody Hell
26th June 2010, 11:01 PM
Wow, five each to Playfair and TDL if I read it correctly.

Edit: 7 to TDL in the end, in a 132 point win!

TDL's got to be a chance.

ugg
26th June 2010, 11:16 PM
TDL's got to be a chance.
Yes TDL has to come in even if Bradshaw is fit. He displayed a full array of skills today. Great crumbing, strong sicky hands , clever use of the ball - had plenty of assist today. Most importantly we must strike while he is in form - 19 goals in the past three games. Have to start rewarding the ressies who are playing well

UglyDuckling
26th June 2010, 11:33 PM
Yes TDL has to come in even if Bradshaw is fit. He displayed a full array of skills today. Great crumbing, strong sicky hands , clever use of the ball - had plenty of assist today. Most importantly we must strike while he is in form - 19 goals in the past three games. Have to start rewarding the ressies who are playing well

sounds good to me

ugg
27th June 2010, 01:02 AM
Goals from my tweets:

TDL 7 Playfair 5 Kruger 4 Emery 3 Veszpremi Moore Gordon 2 McNeil Meredith Lynch Johnston McKaigue 1

Goals from the scoreboard:

TDL 7 Playfair 5 Kruger 4 Moore 3 Veszpremi Emery Gordon 2 McNeil Meredith Lynch Johnston Picken 1

What did you have Triple B?

Xie Shan
27th June 2010, 01:06 AM
thanks for the updates ugg, couldn't get to the ressies today. TDL in for Jetta maybe? Roos' comments after the game seem to suggest that he doesn't think it's going to happen for Jetta at senior level until he gets his confidence back with a few goals in Canberra...

Loss a reality check: Roos (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96978/default.aspx)

?At the moment, it?s just completely psychological. To be perfectly frank ? he?s probably got to go back to the seconds and kick two or three goals because I don?t think it?s going to happen at senior level,? he said.

?That?s okay. He?s just a young kid and he?s just got the yips at the moment. The way to fix that is to get him back, get him playing good footy and kicking two or three goals in the seconds and he?ll be fine.

?It?s probably at the stage now where he?d run into an open goal and trip over the footy, but he?s a really talented kid and it?ll turn around. When it does, he?s the sort of kid who?ll kick 12 or 13 straight.?

Reggi
27th June 2010, 09:05 AM
Too be really frank. At the start of the year I was looking forward to a development / rebuilding year, exciting talents, Rohan, Jetta, White, Hanners, Bird, Vez, TDL, Meredith, Smith, Currie, Lewis J. Be competitive but make the finals. At the moment we don't seem that focussed on development, more on week to week competitiveness. I really hope they don't lose sight of giving these guys a go

Really want to see Lewis J & TDL given a go, we really need to develop some potential forwards

UglyDuckling
27th June 2010, 10:03 AM
we had rohan, jetta, white, hanners, bird, kennedy, smith and jack out there last night thats a pretty young group developing.

though i do agree i think vez and tdl should get a game next week

UglyDuckling
27th June 2010, 10:58 AM
here are some rundowns of the game

2nds Sydney Swans Ressies 2010 - Page 34 - BigFooty (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678038&page=34)

Triple B
27th June 2010, 11:35 AM
Goals from my tweets:

TDL 7 Playfair 5 Kruger 4 Emery 3 Veszpremi Moore Gordon 2 McNeil Meredith Lynch Johnston McKaigue 1

Goals from the scoreboard:

TDL 7 Playfair 5 Kruger 4 Moore 3 Veszpremi Emery Gordon 2 McNeil Meredith Lynch Johnston Picken 1

What did you have Triple B?

I'm different to both of you, but I'm pretty sure I'm right .. lol

I only had Emery with 2 and Picken with a goal. McKaigue definately kicked a goal (you have, scoreboard doesn't), so I'd suggest the goal scorers were:

TDL 7, Henry 5, Kruger 4, Moore Emery Nipper Vespa 2, Meredith LJ McNeill McKaigue Lynch Picken 1

In other words, give one of your Emery goals to Picken and you've nailed it.

Bas
27th June 2010, 11:39 AM

We don't want to upset the Emery board.

Triple B
27th June 2010, 11:45 AM
I'll post the stats I posted on twitter during the game...

Meridith 12 14
TDL 17 4
Currie 1 9
Vespa 19 7
Sumner 14 4
LJ 14 4
Teddy 5 8
Henry 19 4
Thornton 16 5
McNeill 6 10
Bulldog 11 8
Heath 8 4
McKaigue 6 3
MOD 10 11
Nipper 9 6
Robson 2 3
Potter 7 3
Lynch 6 3
Kruger 9 7
Emery 5 5
#52? 3 1
Picken 4 1
Orr 2 1

ugg
27th June 2010, 12:04 PM

I only had Emery with 2 and Picken with a goal. McKaigue definately kicked a goal (you have, scoreboard doesn't), so I'd suggest the goal scorers were:

TDL 7, Henry 5, Kruger 4, Moore Emery Nipper Vespa 2, Meredith LJ McNeill McKaigue Lynch Picken 1

Ah yes, there was one goal I credited to Emery in the 3rd quarter where I couldn't see the number but 'recognised' his face. I must get to the optometrist as Picken is a ranga of the Gillard hue.

#52? 3 1

I noticed they added another name Rhys Horton to the website, he must have been #52 as the ANZ scoreboard didn't have him listed.

ugg
27th June 2010, 12:04 PM
We don't want to upset the Emery board.
Please Bas, no groan-inducing jokes before noon.

Robbo
27th June 2010, 12:24 PM
TDL pretty much kicking the door down to be selected in the firsts. Has to play next week IMO you can't ignore the form he is in.

liz
27th June 2010, 01:11 PM
Those are reasonably modest possession stats that TripleB has posted, given it was a demolition job. They are consistent with quite a clean-handed (ie fumbles can often add stats as players have to clean up after mistakes) and direct game - less scope for stat padding.

Primmy
27th June 2010, 01:31 PM
Keep an eye out for our Ressie precise. I agree with pretty much everything you mob have said. I wanna keep Kruger. Reposition TDL, its time. I am glad someone mentioned 52, I thought I could not put off visitng opsm any longer.

dimelb
27th June 2010, 01:42 PM
here are some rundowns of the game

2nds Sydney Swans Ressies 2010 - Page 34 - BigFooty (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678038&page=34)
Thanks for the link UD, great details from Liz and Grimlock.

sWAns63
27th June 2010, 04:07 PM
I've seen plenty of this from TDL being a Subiaco member myself over the years, he is a great lead up forward with very good leg speed also has great defensive pressure in the forward line, who would kick a 2 0r 3 each week most games in the AFL he'll just continue to pile up the goals in the substandard ressies comp getting bags of 5 6 7 etc.Pity he would really help Subiaco if he was here in Perth we miss him.

ugg
27th June 2010, 05:48 PM
SYDNEY SWANS Goal Kickers: T. DENNIS-LANE 7, H. PLAYFAIR 5, E. KRUGER 4, N. GORDON 2, K. EMERY 2, P. VESZPREMI 2, J. MOORE 2, D. MCNEIL , M. PICKEN , C. MCKAIGUE , B. MEREDITH , J. LYNCH , L. JOHNSTON
Best Players: T. DENNIS-LANE, P. VESZPREMI, B. MEREDITH, K. THORNTON, H. PLAYFAIR, E. KRUGER

Match Results (http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=88229263&c=1-1051-0-105412-0&pool=1)

lwjoyner
27th June 2010, 07:05 PM
i woulkd have thought Meridith was best with an all round performance, Vez great in first half tired though TDL also very good as was B Summner. This was first time up to see a reserves game and it wasnt a good time too one sided.

dimelb
27th June 2010, 09:01 PM
i woulkd have thought Meridith was best with an all round performance, Vez great in first half tired though TDL also very good as was B Summner. This was first time up to see a reserves game and it wasnt a good time too one sided.
Bet you wouldn't have minded if the firsts had been as one-sided in our favour as the ressies.

UglyDuckling
28th June 2010, 12:29 AM
Reserves power to huge win - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/97001/default.aspx)

Vezzy and TDL have gotta come into the 1's for mine. Been consistently in the bests for the last few weeks

Hartijon
28th June 2010, 08:14 AM
Too be really frank. At the start of the year I was looking forward to a development / rebuilding year, exciting talents, Rohan, Jetta, White, Hanners, Bird, Vez, TDL, Meredith, Smith, Currie, Lewis J. Be competitive but make the finals. At the moment we don't seem that focussed on development, more on week to week competitiveness. I really hope they don't lose sight of giving these guys a go

Really want to see Lewis J & TDL given a go, we really need to develop some potential forwards

Agree 100% We will not win a flag this year but we can set one up for later with judicious development of the players you mention.

Hartijon
28th June 2010, 08:16 AM
I've seen plenty of this from TDL being a Subiaco member myself over the years, he is a great lead up forward with very good leg speed also has great defensive pressure in the forward line, who would kick a 2 0r 3 each week most games in the AFL he'll just continue to pile up the goals in the substandard ressies comp getting bags of 5 6 7 etc.Pity he would really help Subiaco if he was here in Perth we miss him.
Don't you think,given the weakness of our forward line,it is amazing he can't get a game in the firsts?

BSA5
28th June 2010, 03:49 PM
Don't you think,given the weakness of our forward line,it is amazing he can't get a game in the firsts?

He's coming off injury and some inconsistent form. The last three weeks he has been bagging goals, and he'll probably get a game. It's not so much a case of "he can't get a game" as "he hasn't quite had the consistency to get a game, but that seems to be changing".

rojo
28th June 2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the link UD, great details from Liz and Grimlock.

A big thanks from me too. Great reports.

sWAns63
28th June 2010, 05:30 PM

Yes, totally agree I think we have used the ressies to get players who we want back in the team, fit and haven't payed much attention to new players perfomances only giving them a token game here and there. Best luck to TDL if he debuts this weekend he'll need to kick a couple every now and then to keep his spot.

Nico
28th June 2010, 06:54 PM
Match Results (http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=88229263&c=1-1051-0-105412-0&pool=1)

Isn't it time we rewarded TDL, Meredith and Ves for their consistency and how about Johnston just to see how he goes. Goodes must go back into the midfield.

Jesse Richards
28th June 2010, 09:54 PM
At one stage during the main game on Saturday night I was very tempted to yell (and I do have a voice that can be heard) "Bring the Reserves back on". But I refrained - the boys needed encouragement not denigration. I have now seen the last 5 Reserves' games and our future is looking pretty good, I think. The last game against Belconnen was as thrilling to watch as most firsts' games. Am very much looking forward to seeing them play Belco again next Sunday at Manuka.

Bas
28th June 2010, 10:11 PM
At one stage during the main game on Saturday night I was very tempted to yell (and I do have a voice that can be heard) "Bring the Reserves back on". But I refrained - the boys needed encouragement not denigration. I have now seen the last 5 Reserves' games and our future is looking pretty good, I think. The last game against Belconnen was as thrilling to watch as most firsts' games. Am very much looking forward to seeing them play Belco again next Sunday at Manuka.

I would have prefered hearing that than an idiot mugpie yelling out hot pies. How did the trash get into the red zone section on Saturday night. It was my first time in that area as I sat with friends I brought on the night instead of my usual Level 4 seats. Couldn't get over the number of mugpie supporters there.

Jesse Richards
28th June 2010, 11:37 PM
I would have prefered hearing that than an idiot mugpie yelling out hot pies. How did the trash get into the red zone section on Saturday night. It was my first time in that area as I sat with friends I brought on the night instead of my usual Level 4 seats. Couldn't get over the number of mugpie supporters there.

Thanks Bas. I sat in the most expensive Swans membership seats that have belonged to the same Swans for about 20 years and there were Collingwood fans behind and in front. Had never seen so many opposing fans near those seats before. They were everywhere, and all around the cheap seat I'd bought near our cheer squad, so I ended up not sitting there, not even for one quarter to get front on photos.

I drove 600kms to that game and back and it was crap. Manuka on Sunday is much closer and will probably be a much better game.

Am really looking forward to the Reserves game next Sunday, but I doubt TDL and one or two of the other excitement machines will be playing (Senior promotions). But Jesse White will be at Manuka, for sure. (I think it will be good for him and a positive step for him to regain his confidence.) And Jetta. And Rohan and... and...hey, they will be bringing on the Reserves to play Richmond. Hope the Firsts don't lose to Belco.

Old Royboy
29th June 2010, 11:23 PM
I got there late this week because of cityrail trackwork and missed most of Vespa's blazing first quarter. As a consequence I did not pay the usual attention as to me an incomplete report is no good. But Meredith looked pretty classy and while Sumner did not get much of it, that beautiful left footed kicking style had me drooling. However, Primmy sent me her acute observations and they deserve an airing.

So, here is what she had to say.

TDL had a great game, and 7 goals; he is quick, fearce at the ball, smart and cunning. Its time gentleman. Call him up into seniors.
. Meredith was not bad, not great, but not bad. But what's with that Wolfman beard! No Brett, NO.
. Currie was working below his knees a la Mummy, and that's a good thing. Not outstanding though.
. Vespa is playing smarter than he was last year. Had good and uglies, but he was involved a lot more than just being on the end of the "glory" kicks. Kicked 2.
. Sumner, he has got a boot on him. Will need a bit of time, but I think he is a keeper.
. LJ, So good. Had a great run down and tackle, and he Can Tackle. Very good work ethic imo.
. Richards, Teddy, my dear. Not much happening, but we did win by 134 or so, so its not as though there was much happening in the backline. I think we needed him in Seniors last night.
. Playfair had a good night at the office. Not great, but good, but mostly in the 50 meter arc. Then again he did kick 5.
. Thornton, Krisso! Plays like a senior, could be a contender.
. McNeil, Dill. Not as busy as usual, but he did kick 1, so I probably missed something. It not exactly as if he is 6 foot tall!
. Moore, worked as usual, but imo not outstanding. Will need a bit to get back to seniors. Having rewatched some of the early games I rate him as he is a great deliverer of the ball into the forward line. We need him back, and soon.
. Cambo, worked, but not outstanding this game.
. Chris McKaigue, Kicked A Goal. He has grown so much in the last year or so, height and shoulders, and has much better awareness, so improvement there, no doubt about it.
. MOD. Good and bad. About an even mix of it. Outstanding mark, and kicked straight to the opposition. That just about says it all. He works so hard for the team, both of them.
. Nipper Gordon; did a lot of good work, and he is quick and smart, goaled.

Scholarship boys,
. Jack Lynch (49) is A Big Unit. Did some good stuff.
. Jackson Potter (48) I Like. He is a worker and a fiesty bugger. Keeper I would think.

Toppies
. Keiran Emery (51). They keep playing him. And he is learning the game, has improved a lot and moving up the ground out of his comfort zone quite a bit, lot more running in his game. Kicked 4. Did a bit of rucking. Has good hustle. Looks like he wants to play.
. Eugene (Gene) Kruger (50). WELL. Can we keep him? Gets to contests, understands play, has a 360 degree awareness, ran like the wind to cover a mark for another out of position player; that sort of awareness and response you can't buy. Kicked 3.
. Harry Orr (54). Did a few good things, has a great stretch, Not too bad.
. Mal Picken (53). Kicked a goal, did ok.
. Rhys Horton (apparently) (52). Not listed. My notes say he is skinny but effective. . Angus Robertson (47). Looked like a shorter version of Riewald (jack). Worked at this opportunity, made the most of it.

My BOGs were TDL, Kruger, Vespa.

Great work Primmy!!

liz
29th June 2010, 11:54 PM
Question for Ugg because you seem to have a contact connected with the reserves (or anyone else with access to information)...are you able to scout any information on Krueger (age, where he plays etc)? It was one of the more impressive performances we've seen over many years from a toppie but knowing his age, in particular, would help put it in some perspective - ie if he is still just 17 or so he might be worth keeping an eye on for AFL potential. If he is a couple of years older, maybe his potential for development is lower. He looked pretty young, and certainly still a fairly slight build, but looks can be deceiving.

ugg
30th June 2010, 07:32 AM
http://www.eastcoasteagles.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=279:eugene-kruger-is-nab-rising-star-round-7&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=34

East coast. Either 17 or 18. Perhaps someone from the NSW/ACT board has better knowledge

Primmy
30th June 2010, 11:57 PM
I thought this thread was about the Ressies.....

liz
1st July 2010, 12:06 AM
Fair call. Have moved posts relating to Jetta discussion to a more appropriate spot. For those who want to continue the discussion, you will find the posts here. (It is a continuation of a discussion already touched on in this thread.)

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/30529-Where-is-jetta-s-best-position