No changes to either team

Our initial bench: Bird Kennedy Pyke Kennelly

which means TDL is starting on the ground

Nich
4th July 2010, 02:26 PM

A nice early one on TDL's chest would be beautiful. Looking forward to this afternoon. Our Mids need to win this one for us.

ShockOfHair
4th July 2010, 02:51 PM

Starting on the half-back flank. Officially.

Final teams: Rich v Syd - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97437/default.aspx)

Bas
4th July 2010, 03:12 PM
Playfair at full forward by the looks

Dwayne Wussell said in last night's game coverage that the Tigers were a very good chance to beat the Swans.

Bas
4th July 2010, 03:15 PM
Mattner appeared to be standing there looking at the ball and no going after it. Replay showed same.

hammo
4th July 2010, 03:22 PM
Mattner's having a shocker. Skills from both teams awful.

Bas
4th July 2010, 03:23 PM
Jude working hard for a Goodbye thread this week. Felt left out after last week.

hammo
4th July 2010, 03:26 PM
Jude working hard for a Goodbye thread this week. Felt left out after last week.

So is Playfair. No defensive pressure and dropping chest marks.

Foreign Legion
4th July 2010, 03:32 PM
Sounds to me (on radio) as if Jude is getting a bit of the ball.

CJK
4th July 2010, 03:33 PM
Does one of the Tiger players have a tattoo across his neck? WTF?

DeadlyAkkuret
4th July 2010, 03:40 PM
Yes, Dustin Martin. Some Maori thing apparently, still looks crap though.

Nich
4th July 2010, 03:41 PM
Usual suspects doing the work for us. Benny Mac is working hard again. Were would we be this year without this kid?

Jude is getting plenty. Hanners looks OK, Reg is doing a bit. Forward line is non existent again and there is no delivery coming in to leads.

mcs
4th July 2010, 03:42 PM
I just don't understand why Playfair is in the team. He can't mark, drops uncontested marks, is slow so players run off him and to make it worse seems to be playing a roving sort of role rather than as a true HF or FF. He is just a nothing player imo.

Very scrappy so far, but I feel we can get on top of them as the game goes on.

ugg
4th July 2010, 03:42 PM
Does one of the Tiger players have a tattoo across his neck? WTF?

It translates to "If you can read this you're tackling me too high"

Sloppy first quarter, the double team on Riewoldt (LRT + Mattner) not really working that well given he has kicked 2. Mumford was lucky at the end there to get the free kick. Richmond's intensity was super in that quarter, hopefully it falls away as the game goes on.

annew
4th July 2010, 03:45 PM
I just don't understand why Playfair is in the team. He can't mark, drops uncontested marks, is slow so players run off him and to make it worse seems to be playing a roving sort of role rather than as a true HF or FF. He is just a nothing player imo.

Very scrappy so far, but I feel we can get on top of them as the game goes on.

I fail to understand that too!!!

Bas
4th July 2010, 03:45 PM
Umpire tries his stand up comedy routine when he asked Mumford - do you want the point or have another kick?

Mummy could have gone down in footy history by taking the point.

I've enjoyed watching the Tigers play over the last month and they're not disappointing again today.

Swans are having a lot of trouble clearing the ball and we haven't had the ball inside 50 much.

Good tackle by Jude and McGlynn outstanding.

Amazing Kennedy is still on the ground after getting a knee to the ribs.

TDL hard first kick for goal but seems anytime the ball has gone near Goodes or him, they are being marked by 2 tigers.

It will be a close game and we really need to win this one.

Another Commetiism, "Umpire waives it on, hasn't gone the 15, yes it has, Jack's got it"

Bas
4th July 2010, 03:52 PM
Great run up the midfield by the Swans but Playfair, after taking a good mark, made a bad decision by kicking across field to Shaw when there appeared to be a leading Swans player near goals.

Jude buries the goodbye thread now.

DeadlyAkkuret
4th July 2010, 03:53 PM
We beat the Tigers today and then the Kangaroos next week we're basically locked inside the 8. We must win against Richmond today!

Bas
4th July 2010, 03:55 PM
The Deledio replay was nasty but nowhere near the Barlow break yesterday.

Bas
4th July 2010, 03:57 PM
We beat the Tigers today and then the Kangaroos next week we're basically locked inside the 8. We must win against Richmond today!

Zieball has broken his leg again today.

annew
4th July 2010, 03:57 PM
How many goals does LRT hand the opposition every week. We are crap and always will be whilst he, Playfair and Pyke are in our team. We have no forward line, a slow midfield and dumb backs. We are going to lose this game and all respect.

Bob Neil
4th July 2010, 04:00 PM
Marking pathetic. LRT pathetic - get him off. Goodes MIA again. Lots of laziness all round. Tigers keen.

CJK
4th July 2010, 04:01 PM
How many goals does LRT hand the opposition every week.

DeadlyAkkuret
4th July 2010, 04:02 PM
It would be typical of us to throw away a chance to basically seal a finals spot, we never do things the easy way.

Bas
4th July 2010, 04:02 PM
Ch 7 guys are bagging Goodes for only 3 touches so far. I think it's a bit harsh, he hasn't been able to get near the ball.

Deledio does a Lazarus and is back on.

The McGlynn tackle should be in the hi-lights tape.

CJK
4th July 2010, 04:03 PM
The People's Hero TDL doesn't do much does he?

Minnie Mouse on the other hand!! TACKLE!

Nich
4th July 2010, 04:05 PM
Give up on Goodes at Forward! Let the small forwards do the work?

Bas
4th July 2010, 04:08 PM
Jetta has been giving TDL kicking lessons. Have to be first game nerves. I hope the next chance is a better angle.

hammo
4th July 2010, 04:08 PM
The People's Hero TDL doesn't do much does he?

We've replaced one guy who can't kick straight with another

CJK
4th July 2010, 04:09 PM
McHack!!!!

Foreign Legion
4th July 2010, 04:10 PM
McVeigh and Bolton sound like they are in everything.

Goodesy needs to lift in the 2nd half - he is too good for his output so far.

DeadlyAkkuret
4th July 2010, 04:12 PM
If Goodes gets into this the Tigers are done. IF!

Nich
4th July 2010, 04:13 PM
TDL hasn't had much of a chance but gee - he looks like a 14 yr old at the moment. I suppose we have to be a little patient.

Nich
4th July 2010, 04:14 PM
CH 7 saying Playfair is gone with a bad back injury. Might not be back.

Bas
4th July 2010, 04:14 PM
Why is everone booing Goodes? I assume it's the Tiger supporters.

Playfair is in real trouble with his lower back and Richo on sideline says he won't be back. For benefit of non TV listeners.

Donners
4th July 2010, 04:15 PM
Shame, Playfair has been pretty good. Took some solid marks and hit targets with his passing.

Damien
4th July 2010, 04:18 PM
Macca has been great, LRT has done a top job on the last line of defence and KJACK has had his moments.

Excited me when Goodes run into the centre square and got a great clearance, really confirmed to me where he needs to be.

We look great occasionally, but awful most of the time, hopefully we can prove ourselves to be a TOp 8 team in this 2nd half.

P.S TDL really needs to deal with the fact that he is playing AFL, EVERYTHING he does looks nervy. Hope he can snap out of it and have some type of impact.

mcs
4th July 2010, 04:22 PM
Shame, Playfair has been pretty good. Took some solid marks and hit targets with his passing.

I still don't get why he is in the team. Two of his passes that he hit the target were about kicked from about 40 out dead in front. FFS he is a forward, he should be going back to line it up and kick the goal, but instead he dished it off to Shaw who missed and TDL who missed.

Got on top in that second quarter and if we can take our chances than we will win fairly comfortably I think.

hammo
4th July 2010, 04:34 PM
Won't be a great loss if we lose Playfair for the game. How can you have a key forward who can't make the distance from 45? That's the only reason he passed off on those two occasions.

I reckon Shaw's been pretty bad as well. Not sure if Bird's is playing a role he's suited to.

On a positive note, McVeigh is again showing his class and Jude and McGlynn are tough as always.

Bas
4th July 2010, 04:35 PM
Playfair confirmed out.

Bulldog bones another boner from the sideline. Welcome back!!!!!

CJK
4th July 2010, 04:39 PM
Terrible from Adam. Terrible.

Bas
4th July 2010, 04:40 PM

TDL was unmarked in front of goal and he goes for glory. Would have been a sure goal.

Very selfish and hook should be out.

CJK
4th July 2010, 04:43 PM
McHack was the guy who gave Adam a spray for being a ****

Good on McHack.

CJK
4th July 2010, 04:50 PM

Nich
4th July 2010, 04:52 PM
B-Mac is a gun.

CJK
At last.

Bas
Goodes face set it all after kicking the goal. Hopefully that helps with the confidence.

McGlynn very couragous.

CJK
4th July 2010, 04:56 PM
Awesome for the Mountie. Gotta love it.

Trickster
Thought Pike might forget to kick there....

ShockOfHair
Pykie gets one!

Bas
Great mark and goal.

Nearly ran it over the line. He had that "I'm not taking a set shot" look on his face.

annew
4th July 2010, 04:57 PM
Go Pyke - Highlight of the game!!

Nich
4th July 2010, 04:59 PM
Shaw special.

annew
4th July 2010, 04:59 PM
Shaw looks like he doesn't want to be there.

sharp9
4th July 2010, 05:00 PM
So do we atart a Farewell R. Shaw thread?....man!

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:02 PM
Shaw and Mattner continue the no brainers.

Mattner makes up with a good tackle.

CJK
Shaw leading the race to have a 'Goodbye' thread in his honour this week.

EDIT - Not quick enough!

hammo
So do we atart a Farewell R. Shaw thread?....man!

A Roos favourite. Won't be going anywhere...

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:06 PM
That R2 goal will make it a very interesting final quarter.

A 33 all over red rover lead now only 14 points. The crowd building the Tigers momentum.

Need to get first few goals or we might drop the bundle.

When we had the 33 point lead the Ch 7 talking heads said that those missed 3 goals might come back to haunt us.

ShockOfHair
4th July 2010, 05:06 PM
Hope Roos gives them a spray. They should have killed it off by now.

mcs
4th July 2010, 05:07 PM
Great work Shaw letting them back into it like that. We should be a mile in front but wasted so many chances. Can not afford not to get the points today.

Swans500
4th July 2010, 05:07 PM
Disgusting lapse in a single 3 minutes...we are not much more than the level of this mob!!!!

Damien
4th July 2010, 05:08 PM
Horror last few minutes.

Pyke's great mark and play on goal should have inspired us onto a big win but somehow it's back to 50/50. Cmon Swans, don't let this one slide...

annew
4th July 2010, 05:08 PM
We do not play like a team and seem not trust each other.

sharp9
4th July 2010, 05:10 PM
Lead by 33....8 scoring shots to 3 in the "premiership quater"....oh, hang on..."Here have some goals if you want!!!" Very typical of Sydney. the good teams don't do that. When they are the better team they @@@##@ them right royally.

hammo
4th July 2010, 05:15 PM
sloppy free kick against TDL, Tigers take in down field and cut the lead to 8.

TDL looks as unimpressive as he did in the NAB Cup. No impact at all.

Swans500
4th July 2010, 05:16 PM
And even Cometti LOVES this!!!!....

Bas
That mistake by Esky when he kicked short proves very costly now.

Another miss from Swans and momentum building.

DeadlyAkkuret
@@@@ this @@@@

Nich
4th July 2010, 05:17 PM
One team coming last - one team trying to cement a final 8 spot. This team drives me crazy. Put some heart into it boys!

hammo
4th July 2010, 05:17 PM
We're shot

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:18 PM
Could have murdered the Swans if that was a goal.

Might be the Swans going on the drink tonight.

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:20 PM
Under enormous pressure, TDL lets us all go for a UDL !!!!

Nich
4th July 2010, 05:21 PM
And that keeps TDL in the Team for another week! I'm telling you - if they played Rohan up front all day today like TDL he would have kicked 3 or 4 by now.

ShockOfHair
4th July 2010, 05:21 PM
TDL leads Jetta in the Coleman.

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:25 PM
TDL leads Jetta in the Coleman.

TDL will never catch him for the Oxford St trophy though.

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:29 PM
LRT has definately taken Leo Barry's mantle after that combo.

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:33 PM
Very hard angle for Goodes. Can't be blamed for that.

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:34 PM
2 point game now.

That's a 31 point turnaround.

DeadlyAkkuret
4th July 2010, 05:35 PM
Absolutely pathetic, every time our destiny is in our own hands we @@@@ it up. I don't know why I expected any better today.

Bas
4th July 2010, 05:36 PM
Absolutely pathetic, every time our destiny is in our own hands we @@@@ it up. I don't know why I expected any better today.

Because we were playimg the team in LAST place.

Tigers much more keener to win.

Now that they hit the lead, we are gone.

Nich
4th July 2010, 05:37 PM
Smith was open for a mile and LRT declines to kick it to him - screws around for 15 secs and then kicks to him anyway when his opponent comes across!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShockOfHair
4th July 2010, 05:38 PM
Two players down, two minutes to go. NOt looking good.

annew
4th July 2010, 05:41 PM
No finals for us again this year - we are bad - fancy losing to Richmond

Captain
4th July 2010, 05:42 PM
@@@@ing pathetic

ShockOfHair
4th July 2010, 05:43 PM
Well done Tiges, but we shouldn't let a young team like that run over us.

sfan
piss poor skills. should have played white. Making up the numbers.

DeadlyAkkuret
I have to say, I don't care about finals this year anymore. We clearly don't deserve it, this is one of our most disappointing losses in a long time. Just depressing, nothing to be proud of today.

Thunder Shaker
There is a silver lining to the loss.

West Coast are on the bottom of the ladder for the first time.

hammo
4th July 2010, 05:44 PM
Absolute @@@@ing disgrace.

Run off our feet by a team coming last. Lost at the selection table again.

AnnieH
Un-friggin-believable.

Not happy jan.

mcs
Absolutely shameful. You can NOT lose to a bunch of junk (Riewoldt excepted) when you are 6 goals up 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter. That was disgraceful.

CJK
4th July 2010, 05:45 PM
Completely run over at the end.

Balls.

Foreign Legion
What a @@@@ing joke, look who the've beaten and we still get done.

May be time for Roosy to slip away - yeah I know he won us a flag but we are a long way from the next one.

BTW who else is wary about Longmire taking over - seems a bit too 'inside' for me.

Swans500
What do we @@@@@@@***g think of that???? Oh....Eagles are bottom of the ladder...WHERE WE DESERVE TO BE AFTER THIS CAPITULAION...after the HIGH of Pikes' goal....that was it...what a gutless sickening follow up to that!!!! I HATE the Swans more that EVER before!!!!....

DeadlyAkkuret
Absolutely shameful. You can NOT lose to a bunch of junk (Riewoldt excepted) when you are 6 goals up 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter. That was disgraceful.

This, a thousand times this. No excuses, none.

sWAns63
4th July 2010, 05:47 PM
This, a thousand times this. No excuses, none.

Our midfield ran out of gas...........they just stopped

cruiser
Absolutely shameful. You can NOT lose to a bunch of junk (Riewoldt excepted) when you are 6 goals up 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter. That was disgraceful. Couldnt have said it better.

Goodes and Shaw should be ashamed of themselves.

Bas
Great win by Richmond. They deserved it. They played harder and were much keener to win.

To lose to the team in last place, we don't deserve to make the finals.

You could tell by Roosy's frustration on the sideline again that the Swans dropped the bundle in the last quarter.

A 37 point turnaround for Richmond and what you would call the Swans grabbing defeat from the Jaws of victory.

That will make it very hard for the Swans to make the finals now and if we lose next week, I think we can forget it.

sharp9
4th July 2010, 05:48 PM
If Roosey had any guts he would put his hand up and resign right now. 6 goals and about 12 scoring shots up half way through the 3rd quarter agains the worst team in the league....as they say in the ads.....EVERYTHING MUST GO....staring with Shaw, Mattner and LRT.

Robbo
4th July 2010, 05:49 PM
We have about as much mental toughness as Samantha Stosur.

Beaten by a bunch of kids and when push came to shove they made us look even younger than they are.

Roosy whistling as he was walking off the ground topped it off.

They wanted it more than we did which is quite amazing really. I'm not sure how that can be possible.

IrishSwanPerth
4th July 2010, 05:50 PM
I said we were s+++ a few weeks ago. Simply not good enough, you cant turn donkeys into race horses I have said this for the past 4 years. LRT had the ball in his hand and had a free man out on the wing for 20 seconds and he kicked it to him when he was marked and they scored a winning goal from it. Thank God Paul Roos is finishing I'm sick of our negative style of play.
On paper we should have beaten Richmond easily, I reckon we should try and beat the longest priemership in history, its the only thing we would beat at the moment.

hot potato
4th July 2010, 05:50 PM
Well played Tigers. Lets not do 'A FEDERER' here. Very exciting for them, always good to see a team come from behind against all odds..

hp

Thunder Shaker
4th July 2010, 05:51 PM
No finals for us again this year - we are bad - fancy losing to Richmond
We have a bit of a habit of doing that when Richmond are on the bottom. It was always a danger game with Richmond winning three of their last four and us being weakened by injury.

At the start of the year I did not expect to play finals. If we do make the finals this year it is still a bonus considering that we are rebuilding, sort of. It is better to be rebuilding with a side that has a realistic chance of playing finals than being like Richmond that has been rebuilding now for the best part of twenty years. Yes, Richmond did win today, but with the number of low single-digit draft picks that they have running around in their side sooner or later something's gotta go right.

hammo
We look as slow as we did 2-3 years ago. Why are our quickest players playing in Canberra?

Beaussie
Can't beat any teams in the 8 and now can't even beat the last placed team. How embarrassing. :mad:

Beaussie
4th July 2010, 05:53 PM
Thank God Paul Roos is finishing I'm sick of our negative style of play.

I'm with you on that point.

Nich
4th July 2010, 05:53 PM
We just got out-blooded.

Captain
4th July 2010, 05:54 PM
I'm sick of the stupid free kicks we give away. They went a long way to costing us the game.

Swans500
4th July 2010, 05:55 PM
And if anyone calls for TDL again I will spew....weeks of it....for WHAT????....We have no forward line let us face it....Bradshaw is all but finished and he is the only one who deserves the title of FF....

Robbo
Results like today happen when you have one team playing safe while the other one is taking risks and taking the game on.

IrishSwanPerth
I said to my mate to have a bet on Richmond beacuse you would get great odds, I wish I took my own advice

mcs
4th July 2010, 05:56 PM
Must have a @@@@ing whinge about Shaw while I'm at it- his decision making is woeful, his kicking not much better and his general defensive play is pretty bludy ordinary. If it wasn't for his stupidity with that kick out, Tigers would never have got in the game GRRRR so @@@@ing angry right now.

mcs
4th July 2010, 05:59 PM
And if anyone calls for TDL again I will spew....weeks of it....for WHAT????....We have no forward line let us face it....Bradshaw is all but finished and he is the only one who deserves the title of FF....

Very harsh on TDL. As usual we had somewhere between nil and infinitesimally small delivery into the forward 50. Should have kicked a couple more, but he is not a key forward imo and never will be. Wwe are in desperate need for a FF though, and not @@@@ing goodesy- play his as a midfielder, where he won 2 Brownlows ffs! Its not that hard really!

hammo
4th July 2010, 06:00 PM
Bolton, Kirk, Kennedy and Bird is two too many one paced midfielders. No surprise then when the game opens up we get exposed. Usually it's only the top sides who do it against us but now that Richmond have exposed us it's ominous.

Across half back, Kenneally, Mattner and Shaw are barely giving the output of one player. Time to back some younger legs in these positions. We can't carry all 3 - Mattner or Shaw to go for mine.

Forward line - no continuity, no structure, poor goal kicking.

Coaching - deplorable.

Swannette
4th July 2010, 06:02 PM
Can't blame roos for the missed goals nor for the tiges incredible pressure at key times. Yes lrt took too long to get rid of it but I reckon the tiges would have found another way to win. Their youthful enthusiasm got them a great win. That we gave up souch of a lead is nonetheless disgraceful. We won't bother anyone in sept but our youngsters will be great next year and beyond.

Swans500
4th July 2010, 06:03 PM
Was harsh,,,,heat of the moment, but a lot of people on this site have been calling for him in the last few weeks and...well....still heated....I cannot think straight!!!!....

Very harsh on TDL. As usual we had somewhere between nil and infinitesimally small delivery into the forward 50. Should have kicked a couple more, but he is not a key forward imo and never will be. Wwe are in desperate need for a FF though, and not @@@@ing goodesy- play his as a midfielder, where he won 2 Brownlows ffs! Its not that hard really!

alison.z
4th July 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm not as disappointed as everyone else ... We got out-played - we have to remember that Richmond actually played well ... we weren't beaten by a bad side - they played really good football!!

They also came off a week's break and we were a man down ... not excuses but the context of the game - we played really well in parts but were out-played - a good game of football to watch though!!!

Industrial Fan
4th July 2010, 06:04 PM
Got home to watch the game recorded. Turned on the PVR which brought the game on live, with 2 minutes left and swans down by two.

There is no way I can sit through a loss to Richmond knowing it is going to happen in advance. Hurts even more knowing we had such a good lead in the 3rd. It's enough to make one want to bend ones membership.

Robbo
4th July 2010, 06:06 PM
Bolton, Kirk, Kennedy and Bird is two too many one paced midfielders. No surprise then when the game opens up we get exposed. Usually it's only the top sides who do it against us but now that Richmond have exposed us it's ominous.

Agreed. These 4 can't all be in the same side IMO.

mcs
4th July 2010, 06:07 PM
I'm not as disappointed as everyone else ... We got out-played - we have to remember that Richmond actually played well ... we weren't beaten by a bad side - they played really good football!!

They also came off a week's break and we were a man down ... not excuses but the context of the game - we played really well in parts but were out-played - a good game of football to watch though!!!

No doubt they played well, but frankly there is no excuse for a team like Sydney with a lot of very experienced players to throw away a 6 goal lead at the middle of the third quarter. If you aren't angry with that performance than you damn well should be! I'm sick of people saying when we lose close ones 'oh it was a good game of football to watch though'- sorry its only a good game of football to watch if you win. If it was Geelong or someone than fair enough, but this was Richmond who had a grand total of 3 wins for the season after 13 rounds!

Swanner
4th July 2010, 06:08 PM
Brett Kirk seems to be coasting, Kennelly out of form and malceski not able spoil gifting tigers two goals, no run through the middle in the last quarter ... we are years from a premiership ... apart from goodes no reliable forward target with bradshaw and playfair consistently injured. I just think those mid age players should be better now; Write this year off i think. If White is our ff for the long term we just need to play him and put TDL and Rohan down there and stop playing so negative and at least get something out of this year.

I really think the swans have lost an esprit de corp ... lose close matches all the time ... lack of desperation in the middle and courage to have a go and take their man on.

Very disappointing all round. At least we have some new talent to follow in what is going to be a hard two months.

Captain
4th July 2010, 06:12 PM
Players like MOD and Vez, both proven at senior level, must be scratching their heads.

Swans500
4th July 2010, 06:12 PM
These words do not help. We are so far from being a threat to anyone that matters! Without the deplorable run of injuries after round six I would think we would have done some damage, but that time has passed....so much early promise, dashed on all levels....

C Bolton...Seaby....Bradshaw...all the other injuries and that pathetic suspension...it has been a rollercoaster line up, very difficult to set up any real pattern. It could have been so good....

Gary
4th July 2010, 06:14 PM
Shaw was awful...his pathetic kicking / judgement was woeful...why we kicked it to him in the back pocket lateI don't understand. We had to move it forward from the previous bloke...instead a predictable weak 20 metre pass up the line that ended in a scrimage & then their break & a goal. The guy has become the walking disaster he treatened to become on occasions last year. Malceski running past the 50 early in the last quarter..arguably a 75% chance from that position instead a nothing dink...lost... gone ... with the season.
The better TEAM won on the day but we gifted it from 33 up.

Foreign Legion
4th July 2010, 06:16 PM
Brett Kirk seems to be coasting, Kennelly out of form and malceski not able spoil gifting tigers two goals, no run through the middle in the last quarter ... we are years from a premiership ... apart from goodes no reliable forward target with bradshaw and playfair consistently injured. I just think those mid age players should be better now; Write this year off i think. If White is our ff for the long term we just need to play him and put TDL and Rohan down there and stop playing so negative and at least get something out of this year.

I really think the swans have lost an esprit de corp ... lose close matches all the time ... lack of desperation in the middle and courage to have a go and take their man on.

Very disappointing all round. At least we have some new talent to follow in what is going to be a hard two months.

What talent do you refer to?

I think Lewis Johnston needs a go and thats about it. The only reason I would give LJ a go is because he is getting on in list terms.

Nothing else too exciting in the 2's. Once again a Swans 'good reserves effort' is proven to be SFA when they get out of the ACTAFL.

Damien
4th July 2010, 06:18 PM
A pathetic game that should have been put away by the Swans in the 3rd quarter, we are out of the 8 next week if we lose to the Roos and will deserve to be out of it.

I didn't enjoy that game at all, scrappy, half hearted efforts at times, stupid free kicks given away and an opposition that lost their way for nearly a half of football was allowed to come back from 30 down to steal it. An opposition that until we managed to hand them four points was 16th on the ladder.

Not good enough Paul Roos, not good enough Swans. If I read defence of this game I reckon I might throw up. PATHETIC SWANS.

mcs
4th July 2010, 06:18 PM
I think if its anything like me a whole heap of us needing to get rid of some very negative energy! Pity a lot of my energy went on the coffee table which now needs its 300th set of repairs lol! Just a really really frustrating and disappointing performance. Granted injuries have hurt our season, but that team that was out there today should still be more than comfortably good enough to beat Richmond. We had them done and dusted halfway through the 3rd quarter, than wasted a couple of chances, made a couple of stupid errors and let them back into it. Then nobody stood up to take control of the game for us and we found a way to lose the game.

The one that still really makes me angry is Mummys suspension. That ripped the momentum out of our season and we have never truly recovered. If the tackle had been on anyone else but that particular protected species, nothing would have happened.

alison.z
4th July 2010, 06:21 PM
No doubt they played well, but frankly there is no excuse for a team like Sydney with a lot of very experienced players to throw away a 6 goal lead at the middle of the third quarter. If you aren't angry with that performance than you damn well should be! I'm sick of people saying when we lose close ones 'oh it was a good game of football to watch though'- sorry its only a good game of football to watch if you win. If it was Geelong or someone than fair enough, but this was Richmond who had a grand total of 3 wins for the season after 13 rounds!

I'm just over being angry at the Swans week after week ... I'd rather look at the positives and look towards next week and how we can change these sort of losses ... there's no point harping on about these games because it helps no-one ... I'm as disappointed as anyone with the amount of chances we had but we need to be constructive and look at what we can do ... I'd love to see Rohan and Jetta back in for pace and Veszpremi as well ... Mattner had a better game but Shaw and Kennelly were missing ... something needs to be done about Goodes but at the moment we have very few forward options - maybe bring in Lewis johnston but we can't have him in the same team as TDL ... Malceski was down but was heavily tagged ... Bird probably needs a spell - these are the things that are worth discussing after a loss rather than anything else!!

CJK
4th July 2010, 06:22 PM
And if anyone calls for TDL again I will spew....weeks of it....for WHAT????.

Hehe - so true.

Don't worry that crowd will dump TDL and will go back to Vez or maybe LJ and we'll have to listen to that rubbish until one of them get in the team and underwhelm.

Circle of Life.

Flossie
4th July 2010, 06:23 PM

I think that hits the nail on the head. We have no forward line!!! Look at all the behinds we kicked today, if even one or two of them had gone through it would have been a different outcome. After saying that, I too am ashamed that we played the way we did. Maybe its time to forget about playing finals footy this year and just keep blooding the new kids and see how they go.

swansrule100
4th July 2010, 06:23 PM
i just would rather of had the loss with rohan and jetta still in the side not to mention vespa etc. I think bird gets a bad rap at times, hes only just back and his work in congestion is good. Its some of the senior blokes need a good hard look at themselves. That was a pathetic effort, never thought we were a contender anyway, but season is over now in terms of any legitimate finals chance. (going beyond week one).

At the same time we have unearthed some talent, now just give them some games.

mcs
4th July 2010, 06:24 PM
That's fair enough alison but I think its fair enough that a lot of us are angry about it as well. To me, there are very few if any positives from that performance. A continuing shining light for me though is Hannebery- his work around the ground is excellent and his disposal is very good. Jack also played well. But when there is so much to play for, it is so frustrating to see them throw it away like that today. Its not like the Hawks game in May where it was Hawthorn dominating and we found a way to get into the game. We were generally in control for almost 3 quarters, and had them under control and then all of a sudden we just switched off.

erica
4th July 2010, 06:25 PM
Well, that's the season gone. Even if we scrape into the 8, we'll just be making up the numbers.

DeadlyAkkuret
4th July 2010, 06:26 PM
Hehe - so true.

Don't worry that crowd will dump TDL and will go back to Vez or maybe LJ and we'll have to listen to that rubbish until one of them get in the team and underwhelm.

Circle of Life.

The people calling for these young players to get a game aren't the problem, it's the ones who expect them to be BOG in their first few games who are.

mcs
4th July 2010, 06:28 PM
i just would rather of had the loss with rohan and jetta still in the side not to mention vespa etc. I think bird gets a bad rap at times, hes only just back and his work in congestion is good. Its some of the senior blokes need a good hard look at themselves. That was a pathetic effort, never thought we were a contender anyway, but season is over now in terms of any legitimate finals chance. (going beyond week one).

At the same time we have unearthed some talent, now just give them some games.

Bird's work in close is excellent, but as others have pointed out we have too many slow inside midfielders. With Kirk going though that should open up space for another quick midfielder to come in permanently next year. One thing that really has bugged me this year is how often teams have cut us open when they get the clearances. Our manning up is very poor at times, and we still lack significant leg speed in the middle.

alison.z
4th July 2010, 06:29 PM
No doubt there's always going to be anger after a loss - especially one like that ... what i would like to see is Paul Roos angry and making it clear that this is not acceptable and next week better bring a different Swans side!!! There's going to be some more changes with Playfair's injury and quite a few down on form but it's hard to see where we can go from here and who we can bring in ... hopefully this is a line in the sand and we can blood some youngsters who have all given some enthusiasm when they come in ...

oh and Hannebery is awesome!!!! :D

Hilly
4th July 2010, 06:29 PM
Well, that's the season gone. Even if we scrape into the 8, we'll just be making up the numbers.

Exactly right. What a piss poor, pathetic effort today. Richmond are on the bottom of the ladder, they may be in form but they are on the bottom. Absolutely no heart at all. They look like they don't care.

swansrule100
4th July 2010, 06:30 PM

thats a good result for the year though. Just dont expect to lose to richmond, and its annoying we lose whilst dropping rohan and jetta and good players of the future.

Damien
4th July 2010, 06:31 PM
I have no interest in the positives, I don't care what they were, what I would love is the media and supporters to tear them apart this week but for some reason this wont happen. This current team setup and coach are so well protected, it drives me insane.

We can't have a culture where losing to the 16th place team is ever acceptable, especially when we had a chance to go a game clear in the top 8 and see off the late challenge from Adelaide for good. Today has been a massive disaster for our club.

swansrule100
4th July 2010, 06:31 PM
Bird's work in close is excellent, but as others have pointed out we have too many slow inside midfielders. With Kirk going though that should open up space for another quick midfielder to come in permanently next year. One thing that really has bugged me this year is how often teams have cut us open when they get the clearances. Our manning up is very poor at times, and we still lack significant leg speed in the middle.

well we dropped the two quickest players in the side. The sad fact is Kirk is the one giving us stuff all at the moment

sWAns63
4th July 2010, 06:32 PM

Very harsh on TDL you can't expect him to carry the forward line he did some good things had a few shots at goal kicked one, made plenty of leads put good offensive pressure on resulting in turnovers, not bad for a player having his first game in the seniors.....what do you really expect if the midfield can't kick it to the forwards, their lack of leg speed and kicking ability being quite evident in the last quarter.They seemed focused on kicking it Goodesy is he in poor form or what as soon as he takes a mark he turns his back on the play really worried about his own game doesn't look for anyone in a better position.Give him a week off to go fishing or something.

mcs
4th July 2010, 06:33 PM
No doubt there's always going to be anger after a loss - especially one like that ... what i would like to see is Paul Roos angry and making it clear that this is not acceptable and next week better bring a different Swans side!!! There's going to be some more changes with Playfair's injury and quite a few down on form but it's hard to see where we can go from here and who we can bring in ... hopefully this is a line in the sand and we can blood some youngsters who have all given some enthusiasm when they come in ...

oh and Hannebery is awesome!!!! :D

Hear hear re: roosy. If I was the coach I would have been absolutely seething, but he looked more than content walking off the ground. There is being calm and collected and there is doing your job properly. I will want to see a vast improvement next week against the Roos or else I'll be finding Roosy and giving him a spray.

Hanners however is awesome- was very good today again and imo should be named Rising Star fairly comfortably.

Lucky Knickers
How disrepectful to the the tiges. They came in with form, chased hard, took their opportunities when we were short 2 players in the rotations.
We, by comparison, still have significant injuries to our best 22 and spine for the year, have manufactured a side for a number of weeks made of youngsters (which has an impact on your core players) and the significant personnel loss is in our forward line.
Those calling for every reserves player to be promoted hopefully got a reality check today following TDLs performance. Clearly took him 1 half of footy to adjust to the pace; against a side that many (read RWO) rate as pretty ordinary despite them having I don't know how many 1st round draft picks in the last 3-5 years.
On to positives; Hanners, Smith, Reg, Moore, McGlynn all had good games. Kennedy, who is probably on the way to hospital with a punctured lung did well today. Bird had an absolute @@@@ first half but really lifted.
Mumford and Pyke look like the wear and tear of playing long stints is starting to show - but will be better for the experience.
LRT is mentally one tough cookie. To be completely outpointed by a player he definitely works himself into the game.
Sad we lost Marty - that was the difference IMHO.
Just have to edit....why does Roosy getting angry make one flying @@@@ of difference?????????
It is up to the players on the ground and they were absolutely stuffed. You cannot play a running team like the tiges with two players out of your rotation and one hampered by a terrible knee to the ribs (Kennedy is a hot damn super man) plus McGlynn who was effected by a heavy hit.

erica
We had that game won and had the opportunity to win AND get some percentage, but we just didn't want it badly enough. So disappointed.

Swans500
4th July 2010, 06:34 PM
Yeah...but, in the case of TDL....his shots at goal were ludicrous. They were set shots from a player with a lot of experience in front of the sticks. I know this is the BIG league but...hey. Accuracy is his claim to fame and the pressure was not that great at that stage of the game. Just my beef for the day...I could go on about a lot of the rest of the mob too, but that would take a novel that would give "War And Peace" a nudge!!!!....

The people calling for these young players to get a game aren't the problem, it's the ones who expect them to be BOG in their first few games who are.

swansrule100
4th July 2010, 06:35 PM
whats the news on mattner and playfair?

Hilly
4th July 2010, 06:35 PM
I thought Bird wasn't any good today and made too many mistakes, Jetta would have done NOTHING as usual. Can't believe people on here actually believe he deserves a game.

Melbournehammer
4th July 2010, 06:38 PM
Where to begin on that performance ?

1. LRT is not and was never going to be the right matchup for riewoldt. He simply does not know how to body a player and grundy has gone far past him as a defender. Redeemed himself through third man up only because grundy bodies riewoldt out.
2. What is it with playing ruckman in the goal square and not kicking to them unless they lead ? Whats wrong with fast ball movement ?
3. How do we always concede goals in the goalsquare has no-one any capacity to rush the ball ?
4. Goodes is spending too long pretending to be the leader and not enough actually doing - just moving the ball on occasionally would help
5. Moving mcveigh to the forward line was crazy - we lost his influence on the ball
6. Tadgh is nothing like the player he was
7. Losing mattner meant mal was left too deep
8 Bird playing as a tagger on cousins was really negative
9. selection decisions meant we were very slow

overall i am simply shocked at how pathetic we were for the last 30 minutes - and could someone tell jude to go forwards occasionally

swansrule100
4th July 2010, 06:40 PM
I thought Bird wasn't any good today and made too many mistakes, Jetta would have done NOTHING as usual. Can't believe people on here actually believe he deserves a game.

personally its more a case that at least jettas young and has a future and can learn more out of today than say picking playfair who has shown what he can do (nothing much)

Doctor
4th July 2010, 06:44 PM
I'm not calling for anyone's head right now, I'm just too angry about the way we capitulated. I know we had less on the bench than them, but we had a big enough lead to win if we had just kept playing the way we were. The killer goal was the Reiwoldt's right on 3/4 time. That gave them the belief they needed to think they had a chance. I still thought we had a shot at it until Jack missed his target when he got clear with a minute or so to go.

Gutted and angry.

Damien
4th July 2010, 06:46 PM
How disrepectful to the the tiges. They came in with form, chased hard, took their opportunities when we were short 2 players in the rotations.

Their wins were against Port, Brisbane and West Coast - currently the three worst sides in the competition. In the middle of these wins, they were smashed by the Saints. I accept the rotation issue today, but a 30 point lead with minutes to go in the 3rd quarter with the experience our team has deserved better protection than we offered it. It horrifies me that we are fast joining Port and Brisbane as flash in the pan stories of 2010.

mcs
4th July 2010, 06:46 PM
Jetta clearly looks like a confidence player to me. There is no doubting his quality, but I'm not sure he would of been much use today with his lack of form. I do hope he isn't rushed back and is given a month in the 2nds to find some form before getting a few games later on in the year. Rohan on the other hand should not have been dropped and has to come back into the 22 for next week imo.

Bird did struggle today, but he was out for a long time and hasn't quite found form yet. He has plenty of quality though and will become a critical part of our midfield going forward, so he is worth perservering with.

Melbournehammer
4th July 2010, 06:47 PM
personally its more a case that at least jettas young and has a future and can learn more out of today than say picking playfair who has shown what he can do (nothing much)

You have to have some talls - you cant have a winger for a full forward.

Swans500
4th July 2010, 06:48 PM
THAT point is the killer today! We are so infrequently up by 33 points at any time, so.... to just stop...oh....makes me ill....

[QUOTE=Doctor;494643]I'm not calling for anyone's head right now, I'm just too angry about the way we capitulated.

CJK
4th July 2010, 06:48 PM
Thought LRT played really well fwiw,

swansrule100
4th July 2010, 06:50 PM
You have to have some talls - you cant have a winger for a full forward.

yeh i wouldnt of dropped white.

Mind you when did we have a full forward today, we dont keep any structure in our forward line

Yuri H
4th July 2010, 06:50 PM
I think if its anything like me a whole heap of us needing to get rid of some very negative energy!

There's an entire cloudy vortex of it hovering over Balmain right now! That last quarter was just .... just ... just ... good lord. I was so livid and screaming that my cats are still hiding from me. And I have been forbidden from burying my face in my hands and moaning "Richmond! ... Richmond! We lost to Richmond!!", as that's all I've been doing since I turned off the tv.

Watching a 30+ point lead simply evaporate against .... them ... was not the way I expected to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Melbournehammer
4th July 2010, 06:51 PM
Thought LRT played really well fwiw,

was saved by grundy

dimelb
4th July 2010, 06:51 PM
We, by comparison, still have significant injuries to our best 22 and spine for the year, have manufactured a side for a number of weeks made of youngsters (which has an impact on your core players) and the significant personnel loss is in our forward line.
Those calling for every reserves player to be promoted hopefully got a reality check today following TDLs performance. Clearly took him 1 half of footy to adjust to the pace; against a side that many (read RWO) rate as pretty ordinary despite them having I don't know how many 1st round draft picks in the last 3-5 years.
On to positives; Hanners, Smith, Reg, Moore, McGlynn all had good games. Kennedy, who is probably on the way to hospital with a punctured lung did well today. Bird had an absolute @@@@ first half but really lifted.
Mumford and Pyke look like the wear and tear of playing long stints is starting to show - but will be better for the experience.
LRT is mentally one tough cookie. To be completely outpointed by a player he definitely works himself into the game.
Sad we lost Marty - that was the difference IMHO.
Just have to edit....why does Roosy getting angry make one flying @@@@ of difference?????????
It is up to the players on the ground and they were absolutely stuffed. You cannot play a running team like the tiges with two players out of your rotation and one hampered by a terrible knee to the ribs (Kennedy is a hot damn super man) plus McGlynn who was effected by a heavy hit.
Just back from the G and this is closest to how I feel on reflection. I too was angry at first, but you carry a three man bench plus other walking wounded and you will be in trouble against any team. In addition our skills are not good, and Richmond were better, despite their share of clangers.
The Tiges are better than people allow, and this is not the first time I have watched them this season. Their midfield is starting to work properly, they have imo the best marking forward in the comp and a couple of trusty sidekicks, their defence has improved and they have a decent coach for the first time in decades.
North next week will not be easy either.

Bas
4th July 2010, 06:55 PM
there's an entire cloudy vortex of it hovering over balmain right now! That last quarter was just .... Just ... Just ... Good lord. I was so livid and screaming that my cats are still hiding from me. And i have been forbidden from burying my face in my hands and moaning "richmond! ... Richmond! We lost to richmond!!", as that's all i've been doing since i turned off the tv.

Finally proof that balmain boys do cry!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike_B
4th July 2010, 06:55 PM
Just back from the G and this is closest to how I feel on reflection. I too was angry at first, but you carry a three man bench plus other walking wounded and you will be in trouble against any team. In addition our skills are not good, and Richmond were better, despite their share of clangers.
The Tiges are better than people allow, and this is not the first time I have watched them this season. Their midfield is starting to work properly, they have imo the best marking forward in the comp and a couple of trusty sidekicks, their defence has improved and they have a decent coach for the first time in decades.

Add to that a clear level of desire to win for their teammates and the emotion that goes with that - you could see as they inched back on the scoreboard in the 3rd they were revving each other up. Conversely we were flat as a pancake and just couldn't respond.

We also got absolutely killed in the stoppages late - the number of times they were breaking into space from a stoppage to move the ball quickly into the forward line was telling.

mcs
4th July 2010, 06:56 PM

I don't think anyone is doubting that the Tigers played well or showing disrespect. But that game was as much about the Swans switching off and letting the Tigers in than it was about the Tigers being this brilliant developing team. No doubt they are finally turning a corner, but to say that the should be able to come back from 6 goals down mid way through the 3rd quarter against a team that generally has a hell of a lot more experience is taking it a bit far. Even down to three on the bench, it should not really have made much difference considering it was Playfair and not a midfielder who was injured. Granted we were hurt late by extra injuries, but a team with our experience should NEVER EVER have let Richmond back into the contest. The downfall started with a pathetic kick in from Shaw which gifted them a goal, and then 3 minutes of switched off football and they were back withing 3 kicks. A good team does not allow that to happen against another good team, let alone a team that no matter how much progress they have made were still sitting dead last on the table with 3 wins against 3 very ordinary sides all year.

hammo
4th July 2010, 07:00 PM
Bird did struggle today, but he was out for a long time and hasn't quite found form yet. He has plenty of quality though and will become a critical part of our midfield going forward, so he is worth perservering with.
Not sure why he was rushed back in and why he seems to be an automatic selection.

teddys mum
4th July 2010, 07:00 PM
They haven't been playing for each other nearly as much as they used to. Goodes needs to sort whatever his problem is out. Pathetic capitulation by him and most of the team.

giant
4th July 2010, 07:02 PM
Oh that was just godawful. Really bloody depressing. Can we talk about something other than footy?

What do you guys think about the colour chartreuse?

lwjoyner
4th July 2010, 07:03 PM
a pahetic effort paticularly from the backline. LRT on Tewold why, was better a little as 3rd man up. Why do we persist with the dinky kick out of defence not hitting target. Mal and Shaw do it all the time as does MM. Kennedyu normall doent but di today. Reg proved that he struyggles on top player. Bird too slow and when we have Kirk and Jude as well I could beat them Maybe time for Kirky to retire for good. Roosey needs to look at himself as well and stop treating it as his farewll season now almost as bad as last yr of RE. Forward line TDL looked scared to kick at goal today hes a forward whoi kicks goals and should just have a go. Need to make many changes next week time to blood the younger guys, If Roosey overturned Recruiters advice to take CR and instead opted for Patrick V then play him and show why. Also Rohan and Jetta just play them unless they are buggered. Meridith is another one as is Summner off hb line.

mcs
4th July 2010, 07:03 PM
Not sure why he was rushed back in and why he seems to be an automatic selection.

I do agree Hammo, especially after what was reported as just an OK return game in the reserves. I have no doubt he is going to be an integral part of the midfield in the future, but I'm not sure he should at this stage he should be an automatic selection. There are plenty of other players I'd drop before I dropped him however.

erica
4th July 2010, 07:05 PM
Pathetic capitulation by him and most of the team.
Capitulation is the right description. Richmond wanted it so much more than we did. Why don't we play for each other any more?

Lucky Knickers
4th July 2010, 07:20 PM
He's in, IMHO, because he can play his way back in. At the 3rd and the 4th qtr - who was attacking the ball hard and working his butt off?
He had some absolute shockers, I counted 3 clangers in Q1, but he played out the entire game and improved. Kept attacking and creating options, smart fast hand balls. He is good - get used to him.

Nico
4th July 2010, 07:21 PM
At the game we only knew that Playfair was off so the fact we were 3 down in the last quater puts a slightly different slant on the game for me, but......

We should not have let them back into it in last 5 minutes of the 3rd Q. Shaw wasn't the only culprit. 3 times in 3 minutes Kennedy did crappy little chips that missed the target by a mile for 2 turnovers and 2 goals. Then Shaw finished it off. In the last quarter malceski ran inside 50 and was clear and tried a chip over the top, turnover for a goal. Then Bolton gets a free at a centre bounce and goes sideways to Shaw who was nowhere near in the clear. He does a woeful chip kick for a turnover and goal. Last week Collingwood kicked 9 goals 14 from turnovers.

When we went long on most ocasions we goaled. When we went short they took it away with ease. Our forwad line pressure is non existent.

Today proved we are simply not good enough.

We lost because Richmond wanted the win more. You can't blame 3 on the bench for poor round the ground one on one contests. We were soft again and we are paying for it.

Legs Akimbo
4th July 2010, 07:23 PM
Bird was @@@@ in the first half because Roos had him tagging Cousins. Last week he was playing on Shaw in the forward line and this week tagging Cousins. Once again, when he went on the ball, his game lifted and we lifted. Roos can be really pig headed. I wonder what point he is trying to prove in his dying days.

I also thought we started to play better when Playfair went off. UNfortuantely, the injury and that of Mattner got us in the end.

Also, no disrespect to the Tigers. They really played well and they deserved the win because they never gave up. We could learn a lot from this young team. They are playing with discipline and heart. It was a really great game to watch, just the wrong result.

Our best - LRT, McGlynn, Jack, ROK, Bolton, Eski.
The villians - Shaw (he is bona fide game loser with shocking disposal at crucial times), Goodes (found his mojo at the end, but his first half was so awful, nothing could make up for it),

More general observations...

1. Pyke was really impressive today. His tap work and body work were exceptional
2. Our forward line is completely stuffed. How did White go today in the reserves?
3. We had really good patches but too many promising forward movements ended nowhere
4. We have the makings of an exceptional inside midfield in Bird and Kennedy.

Will be interesting to see how Roos goes from here. Finals seemingly unlikely, new coach waiting, stars not performing, injury issues.

Personally, I'd like to see some of our next gen get a run, particularly Vez, Meredith and LJ.

Melbournehammer
4th July 2010, 07:39 PM
The villians - Shaw (he is bona fide game loser with shocking disposal at crucial times), Goodes (found his mojo at the end, but his first half was so awful, nothing could make up for it),

In my opinion shaw is one of our very few players who continues to run and run and is prepared to risk take and look like he wants the ball and win. He might turn it over and his shooting at goal is bad but I'd prefer to have him rather than many of our slow crab like defenders who refuse to go forwards but go across the goal to each other

kangle4
4th July 2010, 07:39 PM
was really annoyed when pyke was taken off after the great mark and goal in the forward line. he did what no other swans player could do up until then and he wasn't put back there until we were in trouble.

mcs
4th July 2010, 07:43 PM

In my opinion shaw is one of our very few players who continues to run and run and is prepared to risk take and look like he wants the ball and win. He might turn it over and his shooting at goal is bad but I'd prefer to have him rather than many of our slow crab like defenders who refuse to go forwards but go across the goal to each other

The problem is with Shaw is so often the turnovers are made in our defensive 50 and immediately put us under pressure. If he played in the forward half of midfield and made turnovers at least you can recover. But his errors so often lead to goals. Then when you add in his inability to take a decent kick in, it makes him just as much a liability as many of the others. I wouldn't be against seeing him play a bit of footy on the wing, as his run is very good, but you just can't play in the back line and give the ball away so often like he does.

smasher
4th July 2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, Dustin Martin. Some Maori thing apparently, still looks crap though.

It's common among crims as a sign to leave them alone(so I'm told).Martin's old man is a kiwi and they both have matching tatts!!!

Captain
4th July 2010, 07:47 PM

Agreed, I called for him to be dropped last week as well.

hammo
4th July 2010, 07:48 PM
The problem is with Shaw is so often the turnovers are made in our defensive 50 and immediately put us under pressure. If he played in the forward half of midfield and made turnovers at least you can recover. But his errors so often lead to goals. Then when you add in his inability to take a decent kick in, it makes him just as much a liability as many of the others. I wouldn't be against seeing him play a bit of footy on the wing, as his run is very good, but you just can't play in the back line and give the ball away so often like he does.

Let's not forget the sitter he missed in the first quarter.

hammo
4th July 2010, 07:49 PM
He's in, IMHO, because he can play his way back in. At the 3rd and the 4th qtr - who was attacking the ball hard and working his butt off?
He had some absolute shockers, I counted 3 clangers in Q1, but he played out the entire game and improved. Kept attacking and creating options, smart fast hand balls. He is good - get used to him.

I am happy to get used to him if the team balance is right.

lwjoyner
4th July 2010, 07:56 PM
My final say, I dont mind losing but TODAY no way. Not sure if I can go again although problem is we have flights and accom booked for scrays game Roosey last home one or will it before hand.

Nico
4th July 2010, 08:03 PM
On Bird, he was awful in the first half, shocking turnovers, slow and his shorts are too big and baggy. Yes he was playing on Cousins and got a decent bath.
LRT nearly saved the game for us.
Malceski - fair dinkum outside soft defender. He slaughtered the ball so many times and was twice easily outmarked/bodied late in the game for 2 goals. Hates a contest. Plus that mindless short pass in the last quarter instead of a shot for goal.
Moore - I am now prepared to say he is good seconds player. Sure he kicked 2 goals but he is god awful slow and is as useless as teets on a bull defensively in the forward line.
Kennelly looked ok but wanted to run incircles.
Any chance us being direct for a change. That rubbish chip game style is horrible and fraught with danger given our disposal skills are non existent.
TDL - Give him another game but on that today he is not up to it. Made space a couple of times but was very timid at a contest and has little or no defensive side to his game.
Kennedy - by gee his field kicking is anus horribilus.
What happened to McVeigh - went from match winner to nothing. 3 stats in the seond half!!!!
Jack - hopefully one day he will learn to lift his head and look where he is kicking. Like most of our midfield they got kicks on the wing or back of the centre. Will our smalls ever learn to go into the forward 50.
McGlynn was the shining light for us. I reckon he should play midfield and has pace. He is also one of the few players we have with an IQ of more than 2.

Heard a bit of the Roos press conference - it sounded like simply negative self talk. " we got beaten by the bottom side so that is about where we are". Sounded very ho hum and wishy washy.

msb
4th July 2010, 08:05 PM

Oh boy was it anger walking out of the G! To be 30 something points up in the 3rd and get overun by RICHMOND FFS! What is going on! We looked slow, disinterested, no forward line etc etc etc. And kirky please, its time to go, your finished now, not at the end of the year. Pffft we wont beat north, its curtains I rekon, especially after today....just keep playing the kids. VERY disappointing.

Nich
4th July 2010, 09:04 PM
What great ticker the boys showed for Ryan in his 200th. Not.

Plugger46
4th July 2010, 09:45 PM
Well played Tigers. Lets not do 'A FEDERER' here. Very exciting for them, always good to see a team come from behind against all odds..

hp

Bull@@@@ it is. They played our team, I couldn't give a stuff where they've come from.

Midfield
4th July 2010, 10:58 PM
What great ticker the boys showed for Ryan in his 200th. Not.

Yeah. The most un-blood like game I have seen for this exact reason. I dont know how a lot of them could look him in they eye.

hot potato
4th July 2010, 11:05 PM
Oh that was just godawful. Really bloody depressing. Can we talk about something other than footy?

It reminds me of those fabulous pears with a crimson blush. I could eat one now.

hp

Bas
5th July 2010, 12:06 AM

I'm not sure about the colour but the drink is very nice. Very expensive too but worth the money.

To avoid the football talk, perhaps we could start a number of surveys affecting RWO members, such as:

1. Who can claim the title of the oldest virgin;
2. Who has the largest beer belly;
3. Who has the biggest bottom;
4. Who is the greatest drunk;
5. Who posts on RWO and BF and why would you want to; and
6. Who can guess how much Paul Roos hair transpalnt cost?

I could suggest a few members for the above titles but I'm having trouble fitting in my chair tonight, I can't see the keyboard from this angle and the drinks are on the house!! wooppeee!!!!!

AnnieH
5th July 2010, 12:17 AM
Still not very happy jan.

neilfws
5th July 2010, 12:21 AM

I think it's horrible. But not as horrible as that loss.

For some reason (masochism?), I decided to watch the highlights report at Swans TV, where they referred to one "Ryan Moore" as a goal-kicker.

I never want to speak of this again, off to the pre-Kangaroos thread!

J_Moore
5th July 2010, 02:11 AM
Where to begin on that performance ?

1. LRT is not and was never going to be the right matchup for riewoldt. He simply does not know how to body a player and grundy has gone far past him as a defender. Redeemed himself through third man up only because grundy bodies riewoldt out.

Riewoldt seemed to outrun him more than out-body him. LRT's one on one work has been pretty solid all year. But he's not fast.

Melbournehammer
5th July 2010, 06:57 AM
Riewoldt seemed to outrun him more than out-body him. LRT's one on one work has been pretty solid all year. But he's not fast.

What i meant was that LRT doen't know how to get his body between riewoldt and the third man up - you will get to see this over and over this week when you see riewoldt marking over mattner and LRT having lost him. Likewise his inability to do so with the third goal which was a simple arms up in goal square.

Melbournehammer
5th July 2010, 08:01 AM
What happened to McVeigh - went from match winner to nothing. 3 stats in the seond half!!!!
Jack - hopefully one day he will learn to lift his head and look where he is kicking. Like most of our midfield they got kicks on the wing or back of the centre. Will our smalls ever learn to go into the forward 50.
McGlynn was the shining light for us. I reckon he should play midfield and has pace. He is also one of the few players we have with an IQ of more than 2.

mcveigh was moved forward - dumb decision as he was getting his hands on it.
jacks fied kicking was atrocious - exemplified by our last attack when he neatly bissected two swans forwards to hit the richmond player covering both.
i am a big fan of mcglynn and for those who think bird is it - this guy is way better than bird

Snake
5th July 2010, 08:25 AM
The whole team yesterday had a heart the size off a tic-tac. The tigers wanted it more, and got rewarded...... Sydney should take note that to win games you need to step up and grab it, because it won't be served on silver platter for you.........

ScottH
5th July 2010, 08:44 AM
They were showing Rnd 7 2004 in the members bar before the game.
I wonder if the tigers watched that as inspiration.
Tiges won that encounter by 13 points.

5th July 2010, 10:38 AM
What i meant was that LRT doen't know how to get his body between riewoldt and the third man up - you will get to see this over and over this week when you see riewoldt marking over mattner and LRT having lost him. Likewise his inability to do so with the third goal which was a simple arms up in goal square.

Riewoldt is too good

Mr Magoo
5th July 2010, 11:07 AM
I never thought I would say it but the swans are a bunch of downhill skiers at the moment. As soon as the pressure mounts they go missing.

The worst thing to see was the tigers half backs and midfielders busting through swans tackles. Pathetic effort by the midfield.

Positives for me were Grundy who I thought had the better of Riewoldt after he went on him and I thought playfair was pretty good leading up the ground and was missed when he went off. As for LRT, he was okay and Riewoldt is in a purple patch of form at the moment. For all those calling for his removal , please enlighten me on who you would replace him with? Vez, currie, meredith, odwyer?. The only real possibility is Richards and we saw what he did last time he was bought in.

Other than that cant really say anything positive about anyone else BUT i also dont know if we have any better options to come who could change the situation other than the injured trio of Bolton, Seaby and Bradshaw.

msb
5th July 2010, 12:45 PM
Bull@@@@ it is. They played our team, I couldn't give a stuff where they've come from.

Couldnt agree more with what you said, what a @@@@en stupid thing to say being a so called swans supporter!!! Must have a potato head like their using name may suggest.

chuckie
5th July 2010, 12:46 PM
The last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter and for the period when they kicked 3 of there last 4 goals Pyke was in the ruck and he got smashed, I know Mumford needed a break but for those crucial times they just needed him back in there.
Hardwicks address before the game would have sounded just the same as every other coach's when playing the Swans the left footers are going to get the ball we know which way they are going to go so lets just defend one side of the ground there forwards won't get any quick ball supplied to them as they arn't capable of switching play.
With about 3 minutes to go in the last quarter we somehow was able to switch play to Jack on the Southern Stand side he must have thought hey what are you kicking to me for I'm on my right side, oh I know what to do instead of kicking with my right foot or just keep running in that direction I will just fool everybody and go back on my left foot WRONG 3 Richmond players waiting tackled holding the ball. He actually kicked a goal with his right foot earlier so it proves that it is just not painted on.
I don't know what Roos is thinking sometimes as we are always so predictable.

Nich
5th July 2010, 12:49 PM
One of our worst, says McVeigh - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/97503/default.aspx)

swansrule100
5th July 2010, 02:01 PM
got run off our feet by a side that took the game on. We seem to struggle on the bigger ground

AnnieH
5th July 2010, 02:03 PM
One of our worst, says McVeigh - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/97503/default.aspx)

I've seen worse .... but not for a very, very long time.

McVeigh said it was the responsibility of the club's leadership group to get the Swans' season back on track after successive losses to Collingwood and the Tigers.

"Even after last week as leadership group, we had to stand up, and we haven't done that," he said.

Isn't McHack IN the leadership group????

At least he stood up in the first half.

Still not happy.

Wardy
5th July 2010, 02:25 PM
It really showed that Richmond have youth & enthusiasm, they were finally starting to "click". And the big thing that was so obvious, they seemed to be really enjoying their footy! They tackled hard, they chased,they didnt hold back - and were ridiculously accurate in front of goal. Kudos to them thats for sure.
We simply looked slow and a little disinterested (which I'm sure they weren't but it looked a bit that way) I said earlier in the year that Shaw seemed to be hemmed in because Kennelly was back and he took up the space that Shaw used to charge through - remember last year Shaw had a ripper year, running freely off half back - he was virtually unstoppable.

Poor old Goodsie has lost his mojo, maybe the Captaincy is weighing heavily on him - I hope he finds his form again soon. Mal seems out of sorts too, not sure why. But I'm still very happy that we got Mummy, McGlynn & Kennedy. And Jack gets better as time goes on. I do feel though that Rohan would have made a bit of a difference yesterday.

We just have to keep hoping that things can only get better - where there's life, there's hope!

-Doogs-
5th July 2010, 03:35 PM
i didnt see the game except the last 3 mins and that was enough. Just curious on how much game time TDL got?

31 hard at it
5th July 2010, 03:58 PM
Probably will be a new thread but just heard that Cousins was admitted to Epworth hospital at midday today as a reaction to a sleeping tablet.

He had a good game but ..... why him again !!??

Go Swannies
5th July 2010, 04:05 PM
I was just going to post on this. Ben definitely has an adverse reaction after playing the Swans. He put in an impressive performance yesterday so this is sad news. Not sure if he's in intensive care or just emergency - Richmond to release a statement later this afternoon.

"RICHMOND star Ben Cousins has been rushed to hospital with a re-occurrence of stomach pains.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/ben-cousins-in-hospital/story-e6frfkvr-1225888028499#ixzz0smU7dVVJ"

honour_the_name
5th July 2010, 04:31 PM
I though Dan H was fairly good, in fact I can think of only one incomplete disposal!

dimelb
5th July 2010, 04:39 PM
... mcveigh was moved forward - dumb decision as he was getting his hands on it.
... i am a big fan of mcglynn and for those who think bird is it - this guy is way better than bird
McVeigh had 5 possessions in the second half. We needed him in the midfield more.
I am also very impressed with McGlynn, but the comparison with Bird is not warranted. Bird is being played out of position; he is an in and under centreman, one of the best we have, and while his legs aren't fast his hands are magnificent.

ShockOfHair
5th July 2010, 04:52 PM
It really showed that Richmond have youth & enthusiasm, they were finally starting to "click". And the big thing that was so obvious, they seemed to be really enjoying their footy! They tackled hard, they chased,they didnt hold back - and were ridiculously accurate in front of goal. Kudos to them thats for sure.

As Roy & HG used to say, a game like that is good for the league. I wouldn't mind it so much if I could remember the last time we ran down a team, or when we beat a team above us.

The one game it reminded me of slightly was the last time we lost to the Tiges. We kicked the last seven goals and lost by a point. We lost but you couldn't doubt the effort. Now our routine is to lose and promise that next week it's gonna be different.

dimelb
5th July 2010, 04:53 PM
The last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter and for the period when they kicked 3 of there last 4 goals Pyke was in the ruck and he got smashed, I know Mumford needed a break but for those crucial times they just needed him back in there.
Hardwicks address before the game would have sounded just the same as every other coach's when playing the Swans the left footers are going to get the ball we know which way they are going to go so lets just defend one side of the ground there forwards won't get any quick ball supplied to them as they arn't capable of switching play.
With about 3 minutes to go in the last quarter we somehow was able to switch play to Jack on the Southern Stand side he must have thought hey what are you kicking to me for I'm on my right side, oh I know what to do instead of kicking with my right foot or just keep running in that direction I will just fool everybody and go back on my left foot WRONG 3 Richmond players waiting tackled holding the ball. He actually kicked a goal with his right foot earlier so it proves that it is just not painted on.
I don't know what Roos is thinking sometimes as we are always so predictable.
I don't know when Pyke was smashed in the ruck, but here are the official stats for hitouts:
Mumford 24 (24% to advantage), Pyke 21 (19%), Graham 19 (5%), Vickery 7 (14%). And after yesterday's spectacular first career goal, he is getting closer and closer to doing what Seaby was doing for us from game 1.
As for Cracker Jack, I like his work a lot, but he needs to be more consistent.

Melbournehammer
5th July 2010, 05:06 PM
McVeigh had 5 possessions in the second half. We needed him in the midfield more.
I am also very impressed with McGlynn, but the comparison with Bird is not warranted. Bird is being played out of position; he is an in and under centreman, one of the best we have, and while his legs aren't fast his hands are magnificent.

his hands can be magnificent - yesterday they were not.

Jewels
5th July 2010, 05:08 PM

You are joking aren't you? Are you aware of just how many top 10 draft picks were in that team yesterday?

I don't think anyone is doubting that the Tigers played well or showing disrespect. But that game was as much about the Swans switching off and letting the Tigers in than it was about the Tigers being this brilliant developing team. No doubt they are finally turning a corner, but to say that the should be able to come back from 6 goals down mid way through the 3rd quarter against a team that generally has a hell of a lot more experience is taking it a bit far. Even down to three on the bench, it should not really have made much difference considering it was Playfair and not a midfielder who was injured. Granted we were hurt late by extra injuries, but a team with our experience should NEVER EVER have let Richmond back into the contest. The downfall started with a pathetic kick in from Shaw which gifted them a goal, and then 3 minutes of switched off football and they were back withing 3 kicks. A good team does not allow that to happen against another good team, let alone a team that no matter how much progress they have made were still sitting dead last on the table with 3 wins against 3 very ordinary sides all year.

And that is the whole story in a nutshell.
As good as the tiges were, we had that game under control then took our foot off the pedal and no-one stood up to push the pedal down again.

ugg
5th July 2010, 05:37 PM
LRT earns a reprimand.

Match review panel: round 14 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=97542)

Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Sydney Swans, has been charged with a level two striking offence against Ben Griffiths, Richmond, during the fourth quarter of the round 14 match between the Sydney Swans and Richmond, played at the MCG on Sunday July 4, 2010.

In summary, his previous good record means that he can accept a reprimand and 70.31 points towards his future record with an early plea.

The incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a level two offence, drawing 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He has an existing five-year good record, which reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to 93.75 points. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to a reprimand and 70.31 points towards his future record.

-Doogs-
5th July 2010, 05:50 PM
i didnt see the game except the last 3 mins and that was enough. Just curious on how much game time TDL got?

Not sure but someone will know ;-)

Go Swannies
5th July 2010, 06:06 PM

Like both of you I don't know but you didn't see the best part of the game. By then I had my fingers in my ears to drown out the pro-Tiger bull@@@@@@ from the commentators.

giant
5th July 2010, 06:22 PM
LRT earns a reprimand.

Match review panel: round 14 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=97542)

Really? I thought they both went for the ball and heads collided. IIRC LRT was stunned too. Very strange decision.

sWAns63
5th July 2010, 06:28 PM

He did get quite a lot of game time came second behind Goodes for marks inside 50 a couple suprisingly good ones at that with 3 Goodes had 4. I focused on TDL all game to see how he was going first two shots at goal he was nervous finally kicked one, on occasion he was open on the forward line and once Goodes should of kicked it to him and would of been another goal scoring chance.Gave away i silly free also took a mark near the 50 and should've kicked it straight away to Mumford & Goodes who had a two on two up forward before Mumford led forward and it got chopped off.Made space for the other forwards good direction and positioning on the forward line.Certainly worth another game.

ugg
5th July 2010, 06:30 PM
Really? I thought they both went for the ball and heads collided. IIRC LRT was stunned too. Very strange decision.
No that was with Collins, not really sure what incident this was.

giant
5th July 2010, 06:34 PM
No that was with Collins, not really sure what incident this was.

OK, can't say I know either. That LRT is such a thug, it could be almost anything...

Melbournehammer
5th July 2010, 07:00 PM
He did get quite a lot of game time came second behind Goodes for marks inside 50 a couple suprisingly good ones at that with 3 Goodes had 4. I focused on TDL all game to see how he was going first two shots at goal he was nervous finally kicked one, on occasion he was open on the forward line and once Goodes should of kicked it to him and would of been another goal scoring chance.Gave away i silly free also took a mark near the 50 and should've kicked it straight away to Mumford & Goodes who had a two on two up forward before Mumford led forward and it got chopped off.Made space for the other forwards good direction and positioning on the forward line.Certainly worth another game.

I was amazed at the decision to try and hit mumford on the lead. By god the bloke must weigh 25 kg more than his richmond opponent - why oh why (other than team rules) would you not kick the ball in high to the square at that point ? I was sitting on the opposite wing yelling out kick it long kick it long (I think the family of 5 richmond fans in front of me were a bit shocked at that point by some of the language i used afterwards and if they ever read this site I apologise). But seriously what were we thinking - richmond took three marks inside the goalsquare against us - couldn't we actually try to get the ball there occasionally ?

Melbournehammer
5th July 2010, 07:02 PM
I was amazed at the decision to try and hit mumford on the lead. By god the bloke must weigh 25 kg more than his richmond opponent - why oh why (other than team rules) would you not kick the ball in high to the square at that point ? I was sitting on the opposite wing yelling out kick it long kick it long (I think the family of 5 richmond fans in front of me were a bit shocked at that point by some of the language i used afterwards and if they ever read this site I apologise). But seriously what were we thinking - richmond took three marks inside the goalsquare against us - couldn't we actually try to get the ball there occasionally ?

ps the one time we did kick it to exactly that same situation pyke marked and goaled.

ugg
5th July 2010, 07:22 PM
Coaches votes

Richmond v Sydney Swans
10 Chris Newman (Rich)
7 Jack Riewoldt (Rich)
7 Brett Deledio (Rich)
3 Ryan O'Keefe (Syd)
3 Jude Bolton (Syd)

wearebloods
5th July 2010, 07:52 PM
i didnt see the game except the last 3 mins and that was enough. Just curious on how much game time TDL got?The RWO stats (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=stats&rnd=Round14&sby=number&year=2010) page for this round will probably be updated in the next day or 2, then all the people who don't read The Age print edition will know the answer :p

Go Swannies
7th July 2010, 10:50 AM
From the Tele:
Six of eight major Cousins incidents have followed games against Swans

"While drug tests should confirm Cousins has not returned to his wicked ways, a look at the AFL schedule and the former Eagle's rap sheet reveals a quirky pattern.

His police interview over Perth gangland links in 2005, random breath-test escape in 2006, arrest for being drunk in public in 2006, substance abuse counselling in the US in 2007, hotel rampage this year and this week's dramatic hospital visit have all followed games against the Swans.

Only his bar-room brawl with teammate Daniel Kerr in 2002 and the public arrest for drug possession that led to his sacking from West Coast in late 2007 did not occur after a game against Sydney."

Six of eight major Cousins incidents have followed games against Swans | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/six-of-eight-major-cousins-incidents-have-followed-games-against-swans/story-e6frexx0-1225888704227)

Wardy
7th July 2010, 11:09 AM
From the Tele:
Six of eight major Cousins incidents have followed games against Swans

"While drug tests should confirm Cousins has not returned to his wicked ways, a look at the AFL schedule and the former Eagle's rap sheet reveals a quirky pattern.

His police interview over Perth gangland links in 2005, random breath-test escape in 2006, arrest for being drunk in public in 2006, substance abuse counselling in the US in 2007, hotel rampage this year and this week's dramatic hospital visit have all followed games against the Swans.

Only his bar-room brawl with teammate Daniel Kerr in 2002 and the public arrest for drug possession that led to his sacking from West Coast in late 2007 did not occur after a game against Sydney."

Six of eight major Cousins incidents have followed games against Swans | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/six-of-eight-major-cousins-incidents-have-followed-games-against-swans/story-e6frexx0-1225888704227)

I read that this morning - talk about drawing a freaking long bow!!! this journalist should be ashamed of himself putting such crap out there. its almost Rebecca Wilsonesq in its stupidity!

Go Swannies
7th July 2010, 11:48 AM
I read that this morning - talk about drawing a freaking long bow!!! this journalist should be ashamed of himself putting such crap out there. its almost Rebecca Wilsonesq in its stupidity!

It mightn't be worth wasting the newsprint on but I was saying after the game on Sunday "I wonder what Benny will get up to tonight - last time hotel rooms got trashed?" Maybe he particularly lifts for Sydney games (I wish the reverse were true) and finds it hard to come down.

Wardy
7th July 2010, 11:57 AM
It mightn't be worth wasting the newsprint on but I was saying after the game on Sunday "I wonder what Benny will get up to tonight - last time hotel rooms got trashed?" Maybe he particularly lifts for Sydney games (I wish the reverse were true) and finds it hard to come down.

Yeah but trying to connect his problems to the Swans is just stupid - I'm pretty sure that 5 months after they won the flag against us, Benny was out getting into a bit of trouble , I really dont think he was thinking tohimself "what would the Swans do?" or "I blame the Swans for the way my life is headed" -I mean Please, honestly - this article is just rubbish!