PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Johnston a Chance to get a Call Up.

Primmy
7th July 2010, 09:05 AM
Due to the horror which is our forward line injury list (a stress fracture in Henry's back!! How dismal would you feel!!), there was a mention in the SMH today that LJ was being considered, but with great reservation as he is still new and undeveloped.

I agree.

BUT, perhaps he would do a Pyke and actually rise to the occasion. Or would it crush the kid. Thoughts?

johnno
7th July 2010, 10:00 AM
Nope, time to play the kid. We have no one else to choose from!!!

Plugger46
7th July 2010, 10:10 AM
Play him. Perfect opportunity.

Melbourne played Watts when he wasn't ready and he's starting to look alright.

Nich
7th July 2010, 10:11 AM
Play him! (but I'm sure they won't)

magic.merkin
7th July 2010, 10:17 AM
Play White.

Seriously kids rarely give you anything for the first season. Let alone such an exposed position. He will have the sides second best defender and he will be crushed.

Put white in, and if there is a 3rd or 4th forward sport come up then give that to him.

magic.merkin
7th July 2010, 10:19 AM

They could afford to being in the bottom 4, every ladder postion is coin in our bank and the fickle sydney fans need encouragment to get to games. We are 8th, no need to start getting silly.

ugg
7th July 2010, 10:28 AM
Due to the horror which is our forward line injury list (a stress fracture in Henry's back!! How dismal would you feel!!), there was a mention in the SMH today that LJ was being considered, but with great reservation as he is still new and undeveloped.

I agree.

BUT, perhaps he would do a Pyke and actually rise to the occasion. Or would it crush the kid. Thoughts?

Primmy I've got the herald right in front of me and don't see any mention of LJ

Plugger46
7th July 2010, 10:33 AM
They could afford to being in the bottom 4, every ladder postion is coin in our bank and the fickle sydney fans need encouragment to get to games. We are 8th, no need to start getting silly.

In a perfect world I'd agree with you but White can't get anywhere near it for the time being and everyone else is injured.

Primmy
7th July 2010, 10:42 AM
Primmy I've got the herald right in front of me and don't see any mention of LJ

Apologies its the Daily Telegraph, listing all our injuries. Sorry; too much morning coffee.

PS; They won't play White, a) injured, b) other issues which are disappointing.

Far Reach
7th July 2010, 11:01 AM
Grundy and Currie forward, White to fullback, maybe Johnson on the wing or half forward. Why not experiment? All the talk of being conservative because of being in the eight will in hindsight just be a wasted opportinuty not getting games into developing players.

Damien
7th July 2010, 11:13 AM
How many mistakes did J.Reiwoldt make before his star run started a few weeks into this year?. I reckon we should start throwing them in and deal with it while they develop.

Canberra concerns me for this current group, the jump seems too big.

ugg
7th July 2010, 11:19 AM
Apologies its the Daily Telegraph, listing all our injuries. Sorry; too much morning coffee.

PS; They won't play White, a) injured, b) other issues which are disappointing.
The paragraph about White seems more like speculation from the reporter rather than a quote from Roos.

Goodes-TDL-Moore-Meredith-Bevan would be my best guess for a makeshift forward line.

Anyone know what Kieran Emery is doing this weekend?

hammo
7th July 2010, 11:37 AM
The paragraph about White seems more like speculation from the reporter rather than a quote from Roos.

Goodes-TDL-Moore-Meredith-Bevan would be my best guess for a makeshift forward line.

Anyone know what Kieran Emery is doing this weekend?
Time to resurrect the Plonk The Donk campaign?

ernie koala
7th July 2010, 11:38 AM
This is a good time to give him a taste of it, we have Norf, Carlton and Melbourne as our next 3 opponents.
Play him on a forward flank.

Chilcott
7th July 2010, 01:39 PM
We need to play LJ because we are going nowhere fast with the forward line we have got at the moment.

Richmond played Griffiths. I think it was his second game, but he made a contribution. It's LJ's second season and he has played quite a few in a row at reserves level, so he couldn't do any worse.

If he's not ready now to play on a flank, he never will be.

Bleed Red Blood
7th July 2010, 01:57 PM
Time to resurrect the Plonk The Donk campaign?

YES!! Go the Donk.

..if only..

On this LJ, why not give him a go.. The other one is just as skinny, he won't break. Two, three games while White (hopefully) gets some strong form/cohesion/confidence into his game, and get Bradshaw %100. If Craig Bolton was in, I'd throw Grundy forward but if that we're to happen.. they'd bring in terrible ted to play the 'spare man' role.

Captain
7th July 2010, 02:17 PM
Would be interesting to see Pyke thrown forward.....

Plonk the Pyke!

dimelb
7th July 2010, 02:46 PM
Would be interesting to see Pyke thrown forward.....

Plonk the Pyke!
I lyke it!

caj23
7th July 2010, 03:46 PM
Why not play Ted forward, he kicked a couple of bags in his first couple of preseason games for us and has never set foot inside the forward line again.

He is tall, reasonably quick, and takes a good mark, couldn't hurt to give him a go there now. Happy to see Johnston also get a game but he's not developed enough to play key position yet

Primmy
7th July 2010, 03:49 PM
We need to play LJ because we are going nowhere fast with the forward line we have got at the moment.

Richmond played Griffiths. I think it was his second game, but he made a contribution. It's LJ's second season and he has played quite a few in a row at reserves level, so he couldn't do any worse.

If he's not ready now to play on a flank, he never will be.

Note: he was out all of 2009 after operation on a dodgy foot. Therefore he has had half a season in the last 18 months.

Stillandall I do rate him, but worry that for this bloke maybe half a season is not enough after a full season on the sidelines. It was ok for Hanners, he is a different kettle of fish, and I would be high fiving everyone if LJ hits the jackpot, but ..... iffy. At present. Not permanently. Just now. I worry a bit.

Peace
7th July 2010, 03:52 PM
What about switching Pyke and Mumford between ruck and forward line..... or is that just crazy talk?

laughingnome
7th July 2010, 05:00 PM
What about switching Pyke and Mumford between ruck and forward line..... or is that just crazy talk?

That's what we did after Playfair left the ground against Richmond. Not the worst idea in the playbook. If only Seaby was fit...

Melbourne_Blood
7th July 2010, 05:15 PM
That's what we did after Playfair left the ground against Richmond. Not the worst idea in the playbook. If only Seaby was fit...

Yeah and we lost to richmond. Not syaing its a bad move, but it's not the answer to our forward woes. We have no Bradshaw, no White ( he's injured right?), and now no Henry. Goodes is our only tall target down there. Bring in LJ, time to throw caution to the wind. Chuck the Rooster up forward as well. Giving us a forward line look of ( in no particular order) TDL, Rohan, Goodes, LJ, McGlynn, Moore. At the very least there'll be some added spark with Rohan, and Moore and McGlynn add alot thats been missing the past couple of months. If LJ can run around a HFF, take a few marks and kick a few into the F50 than that would be a productive outing IMO.

Ratna
7th July 2010, 05:17 PM

Even if they are just there to bring the ball to ground (Pyke showed last week that there might even be a forward line mark occasionally) and get some pace at ground level, shame about Rohan but could bring Jetta back to run past the contest and we could try to beat them one point at a time. The way Mummy tackles and attacks the ball could have some defenders thinking twice too,

HOWEVER,

got to bring new players in sometime and now might just be LJ's time.

Go Swannies
7th July 2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah and we lost to richmond. Not syaing its a bad move, but it's not the answer to our forward woes. We have no Bradshaw, no White ( he's injured right?), and now no Henry. Goodes is our only tall target down there. Bring in LJ, time to throw caution to the wind. Chuck the Rooster up forward as well. Giving us a forward line look of ( in no particular order) TDL, Rohan, Goodes, LJ, McGlynn, Moore. At the very least there'll be some added spark with Rohan, and Moore and McGlynn add alot thats been missing the past couple of months. If LJ can run around a HFF, take a few marks and kick a few into the F50 than that would be a productive outing IMO.

I think we lost to Richmond because our midfield stood around watching the Tigers run past and then Kennelly particularly couldn't spoil the way any defender should be able to. White's just doubtful but Rohan is out?

I gather Johnston is borderline for the seniors - if we play him and break him I expect RWO to go into meltdown. If he plays and steps up and TDL gets over his stage fright - and Jets comes back to move the bloody ball forward - it could be a good game to watch. But I'm expecting another dour Roos vs Roos struggle.

Or maybe we'll get the Moose and Gopher double act a la Kosi-Milne. The chance of that will be enough to get me there on Sunday.

UglyDuckling
7th July 2010, 05:54 PM
i dont think there is much choice we have to play either Johnston or White considering our injury woes. Johnston is in better form so bring him in.
For what its worth i would love to see vez, rohan & white in there too. How young and exciting would our forward line be then.

Moore McGlynn Johnston
TDL Goodes

Bloody Hell
7th July 2010, 06:00 PM
He's not big enough to play KP?

Stick him on a flank. If Jetta's big enough to play in the big time...

Go Swannies
7th July 2010, 06:01 PM
i dont think there is much choice we have to play either Johnston or White considering our injury woes. Johnston is in better form so bring him in.
For what its worth i would love to see vez, rohan & white in there too. How young and exciting would our forward line be then.

Moore McGlynn Johnston
TDL Goodes

Am I missing something? AFL.com.au has our injuries as:

Craig Bird (foot) - 2-3 weeks
Craig Bolton (achilles) - 3-4 weeks
Daniel Bradshaw (hamstring) - 2-3 weeks
Matt O?Dwyer (shoulder) - 1-2 weeks
Jake Orreal (back) - season
Henry Playfair (back) - indefinite
Gary Rohan (ankle) - 1-2 weeks
Mark Seaby (ankle) - 3-4 weeks

Why is everyone expecting to see Rohan on the field? Any other diagnoses wrong, too? (Hopefully Bradshaw)

Brettb
7th July 2010, 06:04 PM
In my opinion it's time, he is of near identical height and weight (a year younger granted) to Aaron Cornelius of Brisbane and in a similiar situation to us with injury and the need to play him, his body has certainly stood up thus far.

CJK
7th July 2010, 06:13 PM
Why is everyone expecting to see Rohan on the field?

It is a puzzle.

DST
7th July 2010, 07:23 PM

They played Watts when he had no pre-season and coming off a handfull of reserves games and it put back his development by a full 12 months according to sources at Melbourne.

Funny how this year they made him do a full preseason and then a 10 game stint in the reserves even before they considered him.

Play LJ if you want too, just don't whinge when he doesn't get another game for 12 months becuase he wasn't ready and we played him for the sake of it.

He is getting closer and looks to have strung the game and form together consistently over the last 4 weeks which is what the club asked for, but the decision by the club should not to play him because we have no one else or that he is young. It should be because he is ready and earned it.

DST

Melbourne_Blood
7th July 2010, 07:49 PM
I hardly think LJ has the pressure on him or hype surronding him that Jack Watts had. I doubt many non Swans supporters have even heard of him. Sure they are comparable in some ways, but Watts was barely 18 when he debuted, and was clearly not ready mentally or physically. LJ may not be either but he doesn't have anywhere near the psychological baggage that must come with being a number 1 draft pick ( that many believe was the worng choice), particularly at a struggling Melbourne club begging for a Saviour.

Bas
7th July 2010, 08:08 PM
Looking at them today, LJ is more solid than TDL. Might be the electro-static hair do. Put both of them together and you get the Jesse White physique.

liz
7th July 2010, 08:17 PM
Looking at them today, LJ is more solid than TDL. Might be the electro-static hair do. Put both of them together and you get the Jesse White physique.

I suspect the issue with LJ is less physique and more whether he has the endurance base to contribute at senior level. TDL is 3 years older, and although he was only playing in the WAFL until the end of last year, he has still probably done more intense training for a longer period than Johnston will have been able to do. Plus he played for the whole of last year and got in a full pre-season while Johnston was on the side-lines with foot problems.

That said, about a month ago one of the reserves coaches announced that he though LJ was ready for senior footy now if the opportunity came his way. His reserves form since then has been reasonable to very good. So given we have almost no tall forwards available for selection other than LJ, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get a go. On the other hand, I am not expecting him to come in and set the world on fire from game one.

Bas
7th July 2010, 08:21 PM
I agree Liz. Everyone says play the kids BUT then don't allow for the mistakes that they make because of their lack of experience.

Legs Akimbo
7th July 2010, 10:56 PM
They played Watts when he had no pre-season and coming off a handfull of reserves games and it put back his development by a full 12 months according to sources at Melbourne.

Funny how this year they made him do a full preseason and then a 10 game stint in the reserves even before they considered him.

Play LJ if you want too, just don't whinge when he doesn't get another game for 12 months becuase he wasn't ready and we played him for the sake of it.

He is getting closer and looks to have strung the game and form together consistently over the last 4 weeks which is what the club asked for, but the decision by the club should not to play him because we have no one else or that he is young. It should be because he is ready and earned it.

DST

Specifically, what 'damage' is done - physical, emotional or psychological?

Crikey, we're not sending them to war.

Number 43
7th July 2010, 11:30 PM
Saw LJ train today. Looked very good. Kicking was a bit off though. Might go well in a forward pocket.

rojo
8th July 2010, 01:48 AM
What about Currie? How would he go? Surely he has got to get a game sometime and it doesn't look like its going to be in the ruck. Or is he in the same position as LJ - not quite ready physically.

DeadlyAkkuret
8th July 2010, 02:40 AM
Considering a few of the comments directed at TDL after his first game I fear for Johnston if he doesn't kick 6 on debut.

Primmy
8th July 2010, 08:20 AM
Specifically, what 'damage' is done - physical, emotional or psychological?

Crikey, we're not sending them to war.

Yes we are.

Damien
8th July 2010, 10:27 AM
The Jack Watts situation was much different, he was clearly not ready for AFL last year and made his debut in spotlight, then had to deal with the Natanui comparisons. His confidence was destroyed.

Has anyone in the AFL media actually mentioned TDL this week? Will anyone care that Lewis might be debuting? This is the right time to be debuting someone like Lewis, IMO, there is no pressure on our younger players from outside and the media barely cares - go for it.

Plugger46
8th July 2010, 10:52 AM

DST

Sources at Melbourne? Who exactly?

How did it set him back 12 months - it's only 12 months since he made his debut.

Just maybe, playing him early showed him the level he needed to get to. He got a taste and with all of the injuries, it's time for Lewis to get a taste.

I'm not expecting big things and if we didn't have injuries, he wouldn't be in the mix but unless the club strongly believe that playing him will affect his development, then I think it's the perfect opportunity.

aardvark
8th July 2010, 11:24 AM
And Jack Watts is still rubbish anyway.

swansrule100
8th July 2010, 01:35 PM
theres nothing to lose playing johnston, worst case he has a poor game, but at the least the club are sending him a signal that he is on the right track, motivate him to keep going. Who knows might snag a goal or two. Not like there isnt a spot with playfair injured last week.

royboy42
8th July 2010, 02:14 PM
It is a puzzle.

Rohan did not complete training yesterday..handball drills only. It's the original NAB cup imjury resurfacing..two weeks min.

Hartijon
8th July 2010, 02:30 PM
Yes we are.

I am reasonably certain its just a game of football. Methinks the dire consequences of a poor debut are somewhat overstated. Let the kid have a go.