PDA

View Full Version : Swans v North Game-day thread

Mike_B
11th July 2010, 02:47 PM
Took us a while to get going but a good finish to the quarter.

Ted has been good as a lead up target up forward, Meredith getting plenty of it and using it well, McGlynn doing a great job all over the place and Kennelly, LRT and Grundy all giving us a lot of run from the backline and trying to expose their bigger opponents.

Now to just do it for another 3 quarters!!!

Robbo
11th July 2010, 02:49 PM
Meredith what a star.

Chookbilly
11th July 2010, 02:50 PM
And as we all already knew, we're a better team when Goodes is in the midfield.

Chookbilly
11th July 2010, 02:51 PM
Meredith what a star.

yep, should be a regular. Uses the ball so well!

UglyDuckling
11th July 2010, 02:56 PM
i like goodes running through the midfield but not sure about hanners playing forward, prefer him in the midfield. What do people think about how TDL is going?

Chookbilly
11th July 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm sick and tired of Shaw turning the ball over when under no pressure.

No 14
11th July 2010, 03:00 PM
Listening on the radio - hoping we can play 4 quarters!

Robbo
11th July 2010, 03:00 PM
Shaw is finished. Get him out of the side.

No 14
11th July 2010, 03:04 PM
Kicks Swans 80 Kangas 60
Hanballs Swans 89 kangas 54
Total Swans 169 Kangas 114

Frees Swans 8 Kangas 10

We are dominating the stats but only 15 points up.

Robbo
11th July 2010, 03:07 PM
Turnover Ted at it again.

UglyDuckling
11th July 2010, 03:08 PM
love goodes in the midfield! goal!!!

No 14
11th July 2010, 03:09 PM
love goodes in the midfield! goal!!!

and on the 50m line too!

goswannie14
11th July 2010, 03:10 PM
Shaw is finished. Get him out of the side.

Turnover Ted at it again.@@@@. Is there anyone that should be in your Swans side?

Robbo
11th July 2010, 03:13 PM
@@@@. Is there anyone that should be in your Swans side?

Get stuffed mate. I'm allowed to have an opinion.

rojo
11th July 2010, 03:14 PM
Hasn't got around to Bevan yet!

Robbo
11th July 2010, 03:15 PM
Tdl!!!!

No 14
11th July 2010, 03:23 PM
Half Time Stats
Kicks Swans 110 Kangas 83
Hanballs Swans 104 Kangas 75
Total Swans 214 Kangas 158

Frees Swans 12 Kangas 13

Swans by 23... a good lead but .....

10Totti10
11th July 2010, 03:25 PM
Bevo has been poor. Shaw has been utter @@@@. Keeps turning it over, needs to get dropped. Richards has been good, can't criticize him. Everybody else has been good, but Moore is prob another one that maybe needs to pick up his game abit.

Swans500
11th July 2010, 03:26 PM
I reckon LRT has been bloody good....

Foreign Legion
11th July 2010, 03:28 PM
The fact we are beating North tells you how ordinary they are! We turn it over time and time again but somehow we are still in front.

Yeah, I know its wet but some of our disposal has been terrible.

Positives: we are tough at the ball, Meredith - good user of the pill, Goodesy looking better and LRT's defence has been good - not his disposal.

If we lose this from here then we are a lot worse than I thought.

Chookbilly
11th July 2010, 03:29 PM
I reckon LRT has been bloody good....

Yep, LRT, Kennelly, Goodes, Eski, McGlynn are probably our best at the moment

Robbo
Bevo has been poor. Shaw has been utter @@@@. Keeps turning it over, needs to get dropped.

@@@@. Is there anyone who you think should be in the side?

UglyDuckling
mcveigh has only had 2 handballs. Anyone know if he is injured, is he being tagged, playing deep forward or just having a shocker???????

swansrule100
11th July 2010, 03:32 PM
wet weather and a lack of a key target are stopping us from taking more advantage from the dominance. But quite a good half. Hannenberrys polish stood out i realise he hasnt had a heap of it but he is a class above a lot of the others. Im not a bevan fan, but he looks better pushing forward by a mile compared to down back for me. Super Ted has tried hard but he isnt a key forward, if White can come in and match that work ethic though it will be great.

Kirky loves the mud

Chookbilly
11th July 2010, 03:32 PM
mcveigh has only had 2 handballs. Anyone know if he is injured, is he being tagged, playing deep forward or just having a shocker???????

Not injured, certainly hasn't been prominent, so haven't noticed who was playing on him, but quite possibly being tagged by Rawlings

swansrule100
11th July 2010, 03:35 PM

deep forward most of the time isnt he???

UglyDuckling
11th July 2010, 03:50 PM
deep forward most of the time isnt he???

radio just said he's been moved to brent harvey to shut him down after 18 touches in the first half

Foreign Legion
11th July 2010, 04:10 PM
Well, that was a grinding qtr - 1 or 2 goals would've been handy. Malceski playing very well and showing some guts too which isnt always part of his game.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Goodes may play a big role in this last qtr - I hope anyway.

Pyke getting better every week.

LRT 102 DT points :eek:

No 14
11th July 2010, 04:11 PM
3 QtrTime Stats

1 goal 5 behinds in total for the quarter!!!! Kangas should be happy with where they are given the possession count.

Kicks Swans 166 Kangas 127
Hanballs Swans 171 Kangas 94
Total Swans 337 Kangas 221

Frees Swans 16 Kangas 17

Robbo
11th July 2010, 04:14 PM
Jesus we have dominated posession, but unfotunately we haven't made it count.

No 14
11th July 2010, 04:14 PM
time to worry!!! deja vu

Robbo
11th July 2010, 04:15 PM
Goodes has been sensational in the midfield today.

UglyDuckling
11th July 2010, 04:16 PM
please not again

No 14
We need Bradshaw up front - sorry to state the obvious.

DeadlyAkkuret
Not again.....

Not against this mob :mad:

UglyDuckling
11th July 2010, 04:21 PM
come on goodes!!!!! taking the game by the scruff of the neck

No 14
11th July 2010, 04:21 PM
Goodes is top DT points ...
17 points - we're not home yet

Robbo
11th July 2010, 04:22 PM
Goodes having one of the games of his career

No 14
11th July 2010, 04:33 PM
only 2 goals after all this effort. What odds the draw agian? odds before that goal... swans $1.01, kangas $12

No 14
11th July 2010, 04:35 PM
kanags now $3.00, swans $1.03

Robbo
11th July 2010, 04:38 PM
Wow Shaw seals it for us

No 14
11th July 2010, 04:39 PM
shaw again!!!

UglyDuckling
11th July 2010, 04:44 PM
adam goodes i love you

No 14
11th July 2010, 04:48 PM
For the record.... final count

good last quarter for the swannies

Kicks Swans 220 Kangas 169
Handballs Swans 212 Kangas 116
Total Swans 432 Kangas 285

Frees Swans 22 Kangas 21
Although a 30 point win, there were 3 goals in the last 8 minutes. the possession count v the conversion should be a topic.

Robbo
11th July 2010, 04:48 PM
Thank God for that.

Adam Goodes what a star. Plenty of contributors today.......McGlynn, Mumford, Meredith, Hanners, LRT, Grundy, Malceski and the Irish bloke were all superb.

Big game next week against Carltank.

Dalai Lama
11th July 2010, 04:50 PM
when a problem comes along - u must whip it - & WHIP IT GOODES!!!!

swansrule100
11th July 2010, 04:51 PM
just needed to win today, a lot of the match we were quite average and will still struggle to beat better teams on the run home, but needed to get the confidence back. First player id drop would be ted he tries so hard and i feel bad for him, but he gave us nothing, we need a forward target. Shaw was better than him up there.

I was happy more than anything to see goodes play well and i thought shaw showed his importance. I wish pyke had of kicked that goal.

Bob Neil
11th July 2010, 04:52 PM
Was it just me or was that a fairly dull game? Low avaeage of skills all around. Ch 7 didn't even show Swans singing the club song.

swansrule100
11th July 2010, 04:54 PM
credit to roosys coaching this week as well

hugfer
11th July 2010, 04:54 PM
mike pyke and big mumy are two good ruckma,n they were brilliant- r shaw kicks were terrible - except when he scored those late goals

Robbo
11th July 2010, 04:57 PM
Dull game and yeah channel 7 never show teams singing their club song.

MarshallG
11th July 2010, 04:58 PM
Dermie gives MP mark and point of the day.

agro
11th July 2010, 05:00 PM
Is it just me or did the umpires do OK?

Melbourne_Blood
11th July 2010, 05:00 PM
Pykey played one of his best games, his marking around the ground is superb. He should kick it more often though , he is a good kick.

Robbo
11th July 2010, 05:02 PM

They always seem to do OK when you win.

The umpires themselves aren't the problem IMO it's all of these new rules which come in and go from week to week. The umps would get pretty confused I reckon. The problem is that muppet Jeff Gieschen.

Mike_B
11th July 2010, 05:03 PM
Well it took us a while to really nail it but we did. And we showed we can kick goals (even if not a huge total) with Goodes drifting forward from the midfield rather than playing as a permanent forward. Today made it quite clear that overall, we are better served having Goodes playing in the midfield rather than up forward. The backline worked pretty well and definitely worked to give us offensive options as much as possible. Mumford and McGlynn showing how good pickups they've been, and Pyke continues to improve.

lwjoyner
11th July 2010, 05:04 PM
turmovers the big problem. shaw,mal ted and goodsey and irish ,we get the ball clear and pass it to an oppostion player. we have to better here. its again obvious when we attack the goals not sideways,backwards etc we do ok like the final half of the last qrt.

Foreign Legion
11th July 2010, 05:05 PM

Nah you're right Agro - only about 5 bad decisions (some to us) for the day. I actually think they did pretty well. One thing I noticed is that when a player was clearly tied up they blew the whistle quickly for a ball up. It helped prevent some injuries in the slippery conditions.

Pykey may have earnt himself a contract extension I think - he is improving exponentially - which should mean he wins the next 4 Brownlows. :rolleyes:

LRT played a very good defensive game - one of his best for sure. I think the two blokes we got from Hawthorn will be good for a long time.

Peace
11th July 2010, 05:09 PM
geez i was worried at the start of Q4! but Goodes decided today that it was time to show why he is a dual brownlow medallist... he is god.

shaw redeemed himself a little by the end of the game

meredith was quality every time he touched the ball

TDL is going to be VERY good, he can find space and he kicked a hard goal today too.

Pykey should be re-signed tomorrow!

dimelb
11th July 2010, 05:14 PM
Dermie gives MP mark and point of the day.
He's a good mark. I wouldn't want to get between him and the incoming ball. And he nearly kicked goal of the season. :D

swansrob
11th July 2010, 05:20 PM
I don't get to see the games at the moment, so can someone explain this to me:

Best
Sydney Swans: Goodes , Malceski, Roberts-Thomson, Richards, Mumford, Bevan

Also, someone please describe this Pyke almost goal everyone's talking about. Thanks.

ugg
11th July 2010, 05:20 PM
I'd like to mention Ted's performance especially in the first half. He led well, presented and provided a contest, something we were lacking in the last two weeks. He was quieter after the Roos moved Thompson onto him instead of Tarrant

And nice try Bevan getting Hanners's haircut

swansrob
11th July 2010, 05:25 PM
I'd like to mention Ted's performance especially in the first half. He led well, presented and provided a contest, something we were lacking in the last two weeks. He was quieter after the Roos moved Thompson onto him instead of Tarrant

Does that explain why Bevo is listed in the best?

swansrule100
11th July 2010, 05:25 PM
ted isnt a main forward target though, he did try hard but i wouldnt put him in the best list.

aardvark
11th July 2010, 05:29 PM
I don't get to see the games at the moment, so can someone explain this to me:

Also, someone please describe this Pyke almost goal everyone's talking about. Thanks.

Dunno who Michael Rogers is but he must of been sniffing some of Kirkys incense.....
Right forward pocket, ball going out of bounds and pyke kicks it off the ground. Unfortunately is was already out and kick hit the inside of the post.

hammo
11th July 2010, 05:29 PM
A diabolical game. Don't think many first timers would return based on what was served up.

You could say the win was all that mattered but even accounting for the conditions, there were some terrible signs for the Swans. Skills awful, slow ball movement. The usual.

Shaw in particular deserves to go. Was banished to the forward line for his laziness and sloppiness. He is now holding up the development of a younger player.

Richards and Bevan did nothing to suggest they're anything other than very average footballers.

aardvark
11th July 2010, 05:34 PM
Solid win with everyone contributing except Macca who was tagged out of it. Why has it taken 14 rounds to start Goodsy where he belongs? Good to see Tiger back in form and nice games from Smithy who kept Roos small forwards quiet and Joey with some real solid work at the stoppages.

dimelb
11th July 2010, 05:36 PM
Dunno who Michael Rogers is but he must of been sniffing some of Kirkys incense.....
Right forward pocket, ball going out of bounds and pyke kicks it off the ground. Unfortunately is was already out and kick hit the inside of the post.
Was it already out? I mean, did the boundary ump signal? I thought (may be mistaken) that we got a behind from it, hence Dermie's point.

DeadlyAkkuret
11th July 2010, 05:43 PM
A diabolical game. Don't think many first timers would return based on what was served up.

You could say the win was all that mattered but even accounting for the conditions, there were some terrible signs for the Swans. Skills awful, slow ball movement. The usual.

Shaw in particular deserves to go. Was banished to the forward line for his laziness and sloppiness. He is now holding up the development of a younger player.

Richards and Bevan did nothing to suggest they're anything other than very average footballers.

How can you say "even accounting for the conditions" ? The conditions played a big part in the standard of the game today.

aardvark
11th July 2010, 05:43 PM
Was it already out? I mean, did the boundary ump signal? I thought (may be mistaken) that we got a behind from it, hence Dermie's point.

Nup...was out of bounds... maybe someone could put it on youtube....would have been goal of the yearIMO.

BSA5
11th July 2010, 05:47 PM
Bevan was very good, I thought. Made an error or two, but it was that sort of game. I didn't want him in, but he was definitely one of our better players, and probably deserves to be in the best. Richards, on the other hand, tried hard and took some good marks on some long leads, but just wasn't really there. Watching LJ in the ressies today, boy he moves well. Wouldn't play as a true key forward, but then Richards didn't really either (even if he might have tried).

liz
11th July 2010, 05:50 PM

I took someone to their first ever game today and she loved it. She is already planning her next. I was at pains to point out to her that it was a pretty mediocre game but she still loved it.

While it never hit great heights as a spectacle, I think the Roos were as much to blame for this as anything. I was surprised they played as tentatively as they did, given they should have come in believing Sydney were mentally vulnerable after the last couple of weeks. Sydney's slowness in moving the ball forward was partly because the Roos spent most of the game with 17 men behind the ball, and because Sydney's forward line was full of midgets. Seems weird (but not unwelcome) to choose the one week to play Goodesy in the midfield when we had practically no-one over 6 tall to put in the forward line. Ted tried hard, really hard, but as a key forward target he is pretty ordinary.

Thought our defence did really well, albeit not against a huge amount. LRT was very good, both defensively and with his distribution out of the backline, while Kennelly was much tighter defensively than he normally is. Grundy was solid, Smith was Smith-like, as we have come to expect, while Eski probably got a good balance between offensive and playing more defensively when needed.

DST
11th July 2010, 05:52 PM
La la la la la la la la la................................................

Richards, Beven, Shaw no good etc etc etc etc.

You guys really need a lesson in 101 football.

A team takes many types and all three of those at various times today did what was needed.

Both Goodes and Merideth were good today, but if you want to crucify blokes for mistakes both made fundemental errors that lead to easy goals for North and could have been costly.

DST

aardvark
11th July 2010, 05:52 PM
Tiger 34 touches Richards 10 and Tiger doesn't get a mention...just a bit tough i recon...

Nich
11th July 2010, 05:54 PM
Nup...was out of bounds... maybe someone could put it on youtube....would have been goal of the yearIMO.

I'll whack it up tomorrow and put the link in the Youtube thread.

aardvark
11th July 2010, 06:01 PM
I'll whack it up tomorrow and put the link in the Youtube thread.
Thanks Nich

dimelb
11th July 2010, 06:02 PM
Hilarious comment from the Age article:

Ben McGlynn, standing only 172cm tall, was dominant early at centre half-forward for Sydney.
From here: Goodes inspires Swans in battle for eighth spot (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/goodes-inspires-swans-in-battle-for-eighth-spot-20100711-105dd.html)

hammo
11th July 2010, 06:05 PM
How can you say "even accounting for the conditions" ? The conditions played a big part in the standard of the game today.

There were plenty of errors that had nothing to do with the conditions.

msb
11th July 2010, 06:06 PM

Nice positive post! FFS they won didnt they?

Peace
11th July 2010, 06:15 PM
thought bevan had a great game today, but seriously a lot of the boys must be going to the same hairdresser!

Malceski was incredible as usual, took some decent hits but didnt let them affect his game.

p.s. Jacks tackle on Harvey to stop an almost certain game changing goal was amazing stuff :)

JF_Bay22_SCG
11th July 2010, 06:17 PM

Ted shouldn't be in the team. But with Goodes' game self destructing at CHF, Bradshaw a crock & Jessie a shadow of himself last year, we have little option but to play him (Well, there IS Lewis Johnston).

You are pretty harsh on Shaw Hammo. A few of his kicks out of defence were pretty ordinary, but he proved more than useful up forward in the last quarter. His game is about running and bouncing out of half back. In the conditions they had today, that was never going to work.

Still, I think a couple of senior players seemed to be consoling him after the game which I found odd

JF

Margie
11th July 2010, 06:21 PM
From where I sat, Bevan did a few good things. Also Ted Richards takes a good mark and, in his defence, he looked to be carrying an injury and eventually came off limping.

Quite a few Swans players are guilty of turnovers. When Goodsey kicked into the middle coming out of defence in the 3rd quarter, it led directly to a Kangaroos goal. Nonetheless, we'd be lost without him.

The move to keep Rhyce out of trouble by putting him in the forward paid off when he redeemed himself with those two late (and much-needed) goals.

I watched Mike Pyke around the ground today and he is developing really well. What a pity about his goal, it brought everyone to their feet before it was called out of bounds.

It may not have been the greatest game, but we had two o/s visitors attending their first ever AFL match and they loved it.

stellation
11th July 2010, 06:25 PM
From where I sat, Bevan did a few good things. Also Ted Richards takes a good mark and, in his defence, he looked to be carrying an injury and eventually came off limping.

Ted definitely came off walking like he'd been riding a horse all day and pointed to his upper, inner leg (abductor?) with a fairly dissapointed look on his face.

teddys mum
11th July 2010, 06:28 PM
Ted presented and assisted well today, to say that he didn't contribute to the win today is foolish. He wouldn't be a starter up forward in a perfect world but considering the state of swans forwards (injury and lack of form) he does well as a temporary solution.

Goodes is both villain (turns the ball over in crucial situations leading to goals) and hero (consistently takes handy marks) - luckily today it was more of the latter.

Pyke - bloody legend

Captain
11th July 2010, 06:29 PM
I thought Richards and Bevan were both good.

Disposal was bad by most players today, that was more as a result of the conditions.

Am watching Big Bad Bustling on TV at the moment and would really, really love to have him back!

Nich
11th July 2010, 06:46 PM
Pyke's Out Of Bounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG-EpnjtEfE)

The video is still processing so quality might be low. I'll put a better one up tomorrow along with Kizza's tackle on Harvey.

Industrial Fan
11th July 2010, 07:19 PM
BLT was immense today. Apart from the early missed spoil, he was on a rampage.

bondy
11th July 2010, 07:30 PM
Good win - thank you Swans.

I loved Pyke today - he is the best chance of taking a pack mark when it's delivered forward or back. So strong.

I really liked Bevan's tackle from their run out of half-back - great to see front on, ball-stopping tackles in the AFL. He played a good game IMO.

DeadlyAkkuret
11th July 2010, 07:31 PM
Carlton getting a reality check.

31 hard at it
11th July 2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks for that Nich.
A fantastic attempt at a wonder goal.
In a game that was marred by the wet conditions it still stands as a highlight of the day.

Mike's prescence of mind to line up a bouncing ball and kick mid air from the pocket.
It did just hit the inside of the goal post but I think it showed Pyke is becoming a footballer !

Kirkari
11th July 2010, 07:39 PM
LOVED Smith, LRT, McGlynn, Teddy (playing forward), Meredith, Kirk, Mummy, Jack, Moore, T-L, and LRT today, amongst others. God I love a win! Oh - and Malcho!

Lucky Knickers
11th July 2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks Ugg. Ted was superb in the first. He has great hands. Should play forward more.
I cracked up with the Firrito/Moore Matchup. Bevo did ok as well.
Great to see Meredith back.
Conditions were @@@@ too. Very wet, muddy and heavy - can't judge skills too harshly. Some of our close handball work was excellent.

AnnieH
11th July 2010, 08:06 PM
Goodesy in midfield = game, set and match.

Best move Roosey's made all year.

A bit scared that we'd lose it again a'la letting the Tiggers back in, but it made for a better win.

As for last week ... I feel a whole lot better now that the Tiggers beat Fweo ... we weren't that bad after all - Tiggers were just better.

AnnieH
11th July 2010, 08:07 PM
How fantastic was Lewie two-dads (brother of Trent two-dads!). Held his own time and again. For me, LRT BOG.

bondy
11th July 2010, 08:17 PM
For me, LRT BOG.

Can't argue with you there Annie. He was unreal.

Peace
11th July 2010, 08:18 PM
Carlton getting a reality check.

yep, they just gave us 6th spot :D

AnnieH
11th July 2010, 08:20 PM
I can honestly say I've never seen that kid (LRT) go so hard as he did today ... and it saved us quite a few times.

Lewie wants to play in the finals - (after today's effort) along with Goodesy, NicMal and the VERY quiet achiever Nick Smith (he does some amazing things that go virtually unnoticed).

It was literally do or die today.
For the Norf supporters behind us - it was die.

dimelb
11th July 2010, 08:32 PM
yep, they just gave us 6th spot :D
We wish! Unfortunately they're in front on percentage. But we can do something about that ...

Peace
11th July 2010, 08:35 PM
uhhhhh not after the doggies belted em!
AFL Ladder - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/Premiership/Ladder/tabid/74/Default.aspx)

dimelb
11th July 2010, 08:37 PM
uhhhhh not after the doggies belted em!
AFL Ladder - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/Premiership/Ladder/tabid/74/Default.aspx)
You're right Peace - I checked the ladder two minutes ago and they hadn't updated. We're sixth!

Bas
11th July 2010, 08:47 PM
I was abit worried a 3/4 time but in the end, the Swans played better in that last quarter. My thoughts:

1. LRT's best game of year;
2. When will Pykey start kicking the ball. He hit Goodes on the head with that pass in the last qtr, strong overhead marks today and both he and Mummy played on the ground at the same time in the last qtr;
3. Very happy to see Goodes playing in the same way that we are used to seeing him. Maybe midfield role had something to do with it;
4. Excellent tackle by Jack on Harvey;
5. In the end, Shaw playing in the forward line was what made the difference;
6. Meredith valuable addition;
7. I watched Kirk especially today and he was very hard at it;
8. C. Bolton said he was still 3 weeks away in the half time interview;
9. Ted did his role today and brought the ball down to a contest;
10. We still are making dumb mistakes inside 50 but improving.

i'm-uninformed2
11th July 2010, 08:50 PM
I'd love to know what Potty Mouth Pratt said to an umpire to not just cop a penalty, but get reported. It must have been one heck of a spray.

Bob Neil
11th July 2010, 09:05 PM
Bumbled our way to a win. Jack's tackle saved us from snatching defeat from the jaws... like last week. 'Pivotal moment'.
I'm happy to see Ted back, not perfect but solid. Hope he works well with B2 when he's back. Maybe Shaw could stay forward.
Mummy good at ground level and Pyke improving. May even make it hard for Seaby.
Still lacking potency forward. Poor disposals. I reckon we played better against Tigers.
North were just slightly worse than us.

AnnieH
11th July 2010, 09:06 PM
For those who haven't already noticed, I'm back on top of the RWO tippng table.

Trickster
11th July 2010, 09:42 PM
I was abit worried a 3/4 time but in the end, the Swans played better in that last quarter. My thoughts:

1. LRT's best game of year;
2. When will Pykey start kicking the ball. He hit Goodes on the head with that pass in the last qtr, strong overhead marks today and both he and Mummy played on the ground at the same time in the last qtr;
3. Very happy to see Goodes playing in the same way that we are used to seeing him. Maybe midfield role had something to do with it;
4. Excellent tackle by Jack on Harvey;
5. In the end, Shaw playing in the forward line was what made the difference;
6. Meredith valuable addition;
7. I watched Kirk especially today and he was very hard at it;
8. C. Bolton said he was still 3 weeks away in the half time interview;
9. Ted did his role today and brought the ball down to a contest;
10. We still are making dumb mistakes inside 50 but improving.

11. We MUST stop playing across the oppositions goals
12. There is a lot of promise in the team-some flashes of brilliance today

mcs
11th July 2010, 10:03 PM
I took someone to their first ever game today and she loved it. She is already planning her next. I was at pains to point out to her that it was a pretty mediocre game but she still loved it.

I took my Mum to her first AFL game ever and she loved it as well! Didn't have any idea what was going on half the time, but she really enjoyed it. It wasn't the best game of footy, but it was a good contest and there were some good moments in it as well.

Nico
11th July 2010, 10:04 PM
11. We MUST stop playing across the oppositions goals
12. There is a lot of promise in the team-some flashes of brilliance today

I have thought for a long time; Shaw in the midfield rotations adds the speed we need in that department. If there are two things he does have it is anticipation and quick reflexes. He has shown that he can give us the quick clean centre clearances that we lack.

ugg
11th July 2010, 10:32 PM
From the press conference, Roos said McVeigh was crook yesterday and that's why he played mostly forward.
Teddy was super in his CHF/FF role, allowed Goodes to play further up the ground.
Bird a couple of weeks, Mattner to come back next week and no other injuries incurred today.
Mentioned Jetta and White specifically as ones who played well in the reserves.
Singled out Hanners and Meredith as youngsters who did well today.

hot potato
11th July 2010, 10:54 PM
Goodesy in midfield = game, set and match.

Best move Roosey's made all year.

A bit scared that we'd lose it again a'la letting the Tiggers back in, but it made for a better win.

As for last week ... I feel a whole lot better now that the Tiggers beat Fweo ... we weren't that bad after all - Tiggers were just better.

I apologised to a Tiggers supporter leaving the ground today (yes he was at the Swans v. North game still wearing his Tiggers scarf) on behalf of Roosey's for his disrepectful comments about them being bottom feeders. He was quite grateful.

Hp

Doctor J.
11th July 2010, 11:01 PM
I apologised to a Tiggers supporter leaving the ground today (yes he was at the Swans v. North game still wearing his Tiggers scarf) on behalf of Roosey's for his disrepectful comments about them being bottom feeders. He was quite grateful.

Hp

Its not disrespectful when its true.

JudesaGun
11th July 2010, 11:05 PM
How did Hanners do?

cruiser
11th July 2010, 11:07 PM
Gee we're bloody ordinary, even when we win. A most unsatisfying win, flattered by the final margin. We are hopeless inside our forward 50.

cruiser
11th July 2010, 11:08 PM
How did Hanners do? One word: turnover.

Robbo
11th July 2010, 11:15 PM
Very well done to Brett Meredith today. He showed that he is a real prospect and I think we should keep him in the seniors for the rest of the season.

The Goodes
11th July 2010, 11:37 PM
A win is a win. Never mind the criticisms-give me the 4 points. Goodes needs to stay in the midfield. Meredith looked good. Despite the "official" list of best players, I thought Hanners did very well. My Missus barracks for Norf, and we both laughed at the eveness of the game as it continually went from one end of the field to the other.

We'll have our work cut out for us against Carlton. Very much a "Must Win" game.

Go Bloods!

liz
12th July 2010, 08:21 AM
Very well done to Brett Meredith today. He showed that he is a real prospect and I think we should keep him in the seniors for the rest of the season.

I didn't notice him that much watching the game live, but watched half of the replay last night and was very impressed by his first half. Got a reasonable amount of the ball and used it almost flawlessly.

Primmy
12th July 2010, 09:53 AM
The ground itself was a mess; to be honest the ressies should not have played first, although I know it would have been impossible to shift them, and its fortunate that the surface won't be attacked for another few weeks; it resulted in the wings being used and the centre properly avoided.

Ted reminds me of Troy Luff; a great crowd favourite, no matter what.
We were ready to sack Rhyce Shaw until those two goals, the first so damned quick and so impossible; he is now back on probation.
Bevo may not be a world beater, but he did play the game out and will never spectate.
Brett Meredith kept popping up - he reminded me of Nic Smith; you don't really know what he is doing, until you realise he has had a hell of a game. Plays like a senior.
Noted below: LRT had some sort of game! Big smoochy kiss from me.
Cruiser; Hanners did some great things, and trust me he was not the only one to have a turnover; Goodsey kicked direct to Norf!
It was not a great game. No doubt about it. But that 4th quarter is a gem. It has a spark.

johnno
12th July 2010, 10:37 AM
LRT was easily best on ground against North.

satchmopugdog
12th July 2010, 10:50 AM
Have just watched the replay of the first quarter and I was expecting,from the comments on here, the worst game of football ever. I was pleasantly surprised. Having played in the wet yesterday on a synthetic surface and seeing how badly our game was affexted by the conditions I was pleasant ly surprised with the Swans game. Sure there were fumbles and dropped marks..but heavens to Betsy they are human not superhuman.

Go Swannies
12th July 2010, 11:20 AM
It's so annoying to see the predictable news articles on how Goodes won the game. Yes he did play well in the midfield but so many others contributed.

Nic Smith is amazing - you don't even notice him on the ground but you don't see his opponent at all.

I thought Jude was doing too many amazingly good things until I realised one of him was Brett Meredith - he certainly didn't look overwhelmed but more like a 100 gamer. The real Jude was doing what he does best - being in the trenches with Kirk, getting the ball out and making sure the opposition don't.

I wonder if we'll hear of the need to drop Kirk this week - his job on Swallow was excellent.

RWO's TV critics have no idea of the ground conditions yesterday. It looked much better on tv than it was. Think 60s suburban footy. Ted took a mark near us and slid six metres further into the fence. And even Roos before the game said the centre was such a mess they'd have to play wide. That, and the fact Norf always bring us down to their mediocre level, was the reason I told my wife to stay home and wait for a better game.

I did catch up w ORB (and he did buy me a beer) and we were all pretty happy.

TDL looked much more at home out there this week.

Jack's tackle on Harvey was inspiring and definitely a highlight of the game. I held my breath as I thought it might be judged too low. As a sign of a generational change it reminded me of when Luke Ablett simply took the ball out of Glenn Archer's hands and kicked it into our forward 50.

Bevan and Ted certainly looked like they belonged in our best 22 (and sorry Bevo for calling out at the Pies game - "you'll never play for us again you hack"). Ted's marking was excellent most of the time.

Tiger is our McLeod - the marshall of our backline.

McVeigh was invisible so I'm not surprised to hear Roos say he was really sick and didn't eat on Saturday.

LRT. Let's sing his praises. He would be personally responsible for about 10% of our percentage advantage. A rock.

ROK was ok without being dominant. Mal can't do man-on-man defence (as we saw last week) but he's such a vital part of our drive forward. Goodes was everywhere. Mummy was as good we're come to expect - and how good was that turn and pickup and goal for a big man on mud with a wet ball?

But two players deserve special mention. Shaw is an essential part of the team as he provides the legs Tadhg used to have. But his decision making often has me looking for a grassy knoll. Then he kicks a miracle goal - and then a great mark and goal. And still never a smile yesterday - is there some issue?

What about Myke? Has he been in Benny's bathroom cabinet? I loved the time the ball was kicked towards him and he did a perfect palm to a small rover for a goal. It's like a light switch has been thrown in his AFL education or his goal last week has doubled his confidence. He seems to know where the ball is going, he was useful in getting the ball out and he's a good pack mark. Swans players now look for him. His attempt at the miracle goal had the whole SCG on its feet. Our last forward play of the game says it all for his development - Pyke takes good mark and puts long well-placed kick onto Goodes' chest for a goal. A week before he would have passed off.

We are going to have to play so much slicker footy next week to beat the Blues. But yesterday's scrappy game gave us so much more to look forward to than we've seen for a while. It could be a fun year of footy after all.

Go Swannies
12th July 2010, 11:22 AM
Have just watched the replay of the first quarter and I was expecting,from the comments on here, the worst game of football ever. I was pleasantly surprised. Having played in the wet yesterday on a synthetic surface and seeing how badly our game was affexted by the conditions I was pleasant ly surprised with the Swans game. Sure there were fumbles and dropped marks..but heavens to Betsy they are human not superhuman.

Satch - fully agree, I was writing while you were posting. It was a reassuring game except for that usual period at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th.

Go Swannies
12th July 2010, 11:30 AM
I forgot Hanners! Like Nic, that's because he's now so much part of the team that you forget how young he is. He has the potential to win a Brownlow in his career - finds the ball and generally does really good things with it. And how consistent and mature is he for someone under 20? He'd be in our Top 6 every week. I wonder how he and LRT are going in our B&F?

barry
12th July 2010, 11:49 AM
Surely Rhys Shaw has to start at full forward for the next few games.

There is no real need for him in the back line, as we have enough run out of defense, and Bevan can play back there.

Shaw has the speed to be a sharp leading full forward. One we are missing at the moment.

magic.merkin
12th July 2010, 12:25 PM
It's so annoying to see the predictable news articles on how Goodes won the game. Yes he did play well in the midfield but so many others contributed.

I aghree with all that.

Just wanted to highlight, Bevo, LRT, smith and Merredith. great stuff.

dimelb
12th July 2010, 12:27 PM
That's a better match report (by GS on our blokes) than I read in either newspaper.

Primmy
12th July 2010, 12:41 PM
That's a better match report (by GS on our blokes) than I read in either newspaper.

Agree Mr D. Nothing like having a report from someone who actually watched the game.

I do like Smiff. I do like Merry. They are safe players and they read each other well. If we can ease Vez into this little club it could be awsome.
I really like Hanners....he knows what he is doing.
And I agree with the call to play Shaw at FF. He looked a lot happier there this time, his game up to then was pretty, well, crappy. Actually his leads were pretty good - much better than you would expect from a backman. Maybe they will do a Lynchie and move him. Those goals were flukey, but not flukes.
MykePyke suddenly looks like he belongs, and he knows it.
Bless Goodsey; about time!

Hartijon
12th July 2010, 01:07 PM
It was good to get a win that was largely due to good coaching as well as superb player effort.
Firstly putting Goodsey back in the midfield: great move, then putting Shaw (who had been playing poorly) in the forwards and having him respond with 2 goals: good move! Not dwelling on the negatives during the week was also a good coaching choice given the age of some of the players.

The selectors did their bit giving Meredith a well deserved game. A great game! TDL looked more at home and could be part of the future.
Finally Mike Pyke and LRT you Champions! Mike has made it and LRT answered the critics BOGIMO

Although we can argue about their selection,Teddy and Bevan didn't let us down which was essential for a win. When we play LJ and Vez it will cap off a good year for the new Swans, making the finals and blooding many new players!

RogueSwan
12th July 2010, 01:18 PM
...There is no real need for him in the back line, as we have enough run out of defense, and Bevan can play back there.

I think we'll see Mattner back in for him next week. Well I hope it is Mattner for Bevo, not Mattner for Merry!

hammo
12th July 2010, 01:44 PM
Surely Rhys Shaw has to start at full forward for the next few games.

I'd prefer not to see that, thanks. Two goals doesn't make up for a sloppy and petulant performance.

One incident summed up his day for me and it didn't involve a poor chase or turnover. In the last quarter, Meredith evaded two North players and found himself in the clear about 40m out from goal. He had a shot and kicked a behind.

Shaw (who was being marked in the pocket the entire time and not in a better position) started waving his arms about and remonstrating with Meredith complaining that he didn't pass it to him. It was totally uncalled for from a senior player.

Primmy
12th July 2010, 01:54 PM
One of the delights for the day was witnessing Jude Bolton's delight in Shaw's goal. A teammate like that is worth a motza.

aardvark
12th July 2010, 02:34 PM
Shaws body language lets him down big time but its only because he genuinely hates letting down his mates. I'm not sure FF is the answer though.

CJK
12th July 2010, 02:44 PM
I was hoping for the final whistle at half time. The thought of sitting through more of what was served up was almost to much to bear.

And then we had the 3rd qtr which was even worse. Thankfully the 4 points made it all worthwhile.

In terms of players;

Good to see Merry back - I like the cut of his gib.
Teddy was good value up front.
LRT had another outstanding game (and lolz at the blokes a few seats back giving him @@@@ for the whole game despite his quality)
Shaw - oh dear Shaw. Was not impressed at all. But then he kicked those two (second was right in front of me, was a hell of a lead) so I guess he clawed his way back to an 'average game'
TDL was terrible until he slotted that one on the tough angle and then was much, much better

honour_the_name
12th July 2010, 04:23 PM
LOVED Smith, LRT, McGlynn, Teddy (playing forward), Meredith, Kirk, Mummy, Jack, Moore, T-L, and LRT today, amongst others. God I love a win! Oh - and Malcho! I guess Goodes and Kennelly were in the amongst others!!!

neilfws
12th July 2010, 04:48 PM
TDL was terrible until he slotted that one on the tough angle and then was much, much better

One of my game highlights involved a very vocal Norths fan in front of me, sledging TDL about last weeks behinds. He was pretty good-natured though and to his credit, joined in the applause when that tight kick split the middle.

Wouldn't say TDL was "terrible"; looked a little lost at times, but clearly less nervous than last week.

Gary
12th July 2010, 05:35 PM
"Surely Rhys Shaw has to start at full forward for the next few games.

There is no real need for him in the back line, as we have enough run out of defense, and Bevan can play back there.

Shaw has the speed to be a sharp leading full forward. One we are missing at the moment. "

Others have already brought a bit of perspective to this assessment...he is a liablity on the backline & I wouldn't count on him being a reliable forward.
As also noted...he is the most petulant footballer I have ever seen over 50+ years of watching the swans. It has reached the point where I know that at least one of every two kicks will be ineffective...& some are so predictably going to the opposition because he lacks peripheral vision & distance control.

swansrule100
12th July 2010, 10:40 PM
the one thing that annoyed me was the indecisive way we moved the ball forward, especially when the game was nearing the end. A few too many high kicks into the centre leaves the poor guy under the ball a sitting duck. I dont care which players provide the forward options, wether its a white or richards or several rotating through, we need to keep our structure a lot better and provide options to encourage sharper forward movement.

Also too many players who are only average kicks are trying at time to be too fancy, i think we must lead the league in passes to the ground in front of a target

Ratna
13th July 2010, 12:18 AM
Shaw was frustrating the hell out of me until the move forward. To start him at full forward would be wrong but having a goal to aim at and not a decision to make might be what he needs and there is much less chance for turnover. If he could keep a defender accountable, apply pressure in the forward line and kick a few goals, some regular moves forward may be well worth while (does not have to be full forward). Despite the fact they were instrumental when the game was still in the balance his goals didn't compensate for his bad disposal under no pressure earlier. I like his effort and his commitment to taking the game on but given his return at both ends on the weekend some experiment with the way he is used is needed.

Bloody Hell
13th July 2010, 07:40 AM
Much has been made of Shaw's end game.

None has been made of Moore's endgame in the back 6.

dimelb
13th July 2010, 10:25 AM
Much has been made of Shaw's end game.

None has been made of Moore's endgame in the back 6.
Didn't Benny Mac do time down there as well?

Nico
13th July 2010, 07:33 PM
"Surely Rhys Shaw has to start at full forward for the next few games.

Shaw has the speed to be a sharp leading full forward. One we are missing at the moment. "

Others have already brought a bit of perspective to this assessment...he is a liablity on the backline & I wouldn't count on him being a reliable forward.
As also noted...he is the most petulant footballer I have ever seen over 50+ years of watching the swans. It has reached the point where I know that at least one of every two kicks will be ineffective...& some are so predictably going to the opposition because he lacks peripheral vision & distance control.

Could he play tall in the forward line even though he is short?

Lucky Knickers
13th July 2010, 07:54 PM
Watched the replay tonight. How awesome was Benny Mc sliding in to crash that contest on the wing and doing the 360 flat out in the mud? He's a little champion.

RogueSwan
13th July 2010, 09:03 PM
One of my game highlights involved a very vocal Norths fan in front of me, sledging TDL about last weeks behinds. He was pretty good-natured though and to his credit, joined in the applause when that tight kick split the middle.

Wouldn't say TDL was "terrible"; looked a little lost at times, but clearly less nervous than last week.

Too soon to be sure, but he does seem to have good, strong hands. He did take a good contested mark in the 4th? quarter.

Kirkari
13th July 2010, 09:29 PM
I guess Goodes and Kennelly were in the amongst others!!!

You guess right, but I'm holding a grudge. ;-)

DST
13th July 2010, 09:57 PM
Too soon to be sure, but he does seem to have good, strong hands. He did take a good contested mark in the 4th? quarter.

He moves well for a tallish forward and finds space really well.

Just not confident enough to demand the ball from team mates via voice or presence but that will come over time.

I really do like the look of him, while different in a lot of areas has a bit of Liam Jurrah about him in terms of size and how he moves.

DST

Bas
13th July 2010, 10:42 PM
Could he play tall in the forward line even though he is short?

Yes, and he knows how to play ugly everyweek.