PDA

View Full Version : Victorian conspiracy?

SWANSBEST
20th February 2003, 06:43 AM
[URL]http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/19/1045638AFL pre-season fixture angers interstate fans
February 20 2003

The AFL season has not started, but murmurs of a Victorian conspiracy already abound.

Particularly in South Australia, where eyebrows have been raised at the AFL scheduling all non-Victorian clubs to play each other in the opening round of the knockout pre-season cup.

Talkback radio has been bombarded by cynical callers suggesting a deliberate AFL ploy to reduce the chances of the pre-season cup being won by a non-Victorian club.

Only three of six non-Victorian clubs will progress after opening-round matches between Adelaide and Port Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle, and Brisbane and Sydney.

But players from South Australia's two AFL clubs said yesterday they were not perturbed by the fixture.

"There has been no discussion between us," Adelaide vice-captain Ben Hart said of Crows players.

"The AFL, I suppose in their wisdom, have decided that and we don't mind.

"As long as we get to play some quality opposition, we're not really fussed."

Port vice-captain Warren Tredrea also said the matter had not featured in discussions in the Power change rooms.

"I haven't even thought about it, to tell you the truth," Tredrea said.

He said he believed the fixture intended to reduce travel for interstate teams.

But the winner of the Adelaide and Port match will play a second-round match in Darwin against the victor of the Western Australian derby.

The losers of the SA and WA derbies will play a trial game in the Barossa Valley the following week.

The fixture, however, will guarantee large crowds in Adelaide and Perth, which will give the pre-season competition an opening fillip and boost the AFL's coffers.

CureTheSane
20th February 2003, 09:36 AM
That's a bit of crap IMO.

I noticed it, and I thought it was great.
In fact in the context of the Adelaide teams I thought it was great.
All Adelaide supporters get to see their team.
And Sydney supporters do too.
And most Melbourne supporters do.
Less travel (something no team likes) and a chance for their fans to see the first game of the season.

I say congradulations to the AFL on doing something right.

Skells
20th February 2003, 10:11 AM
I have to agree with Curethesane on this. The only fans who miss out on seeing their team are Brisbane. It seems that the media are trying to fuel another argument/conspiricy theory.

NMWBloods
20th February 2003, 10:59 AM
There's always a conspiracy theory somewhere... (I just had to say that so I could get to 50 posts!! :) )

Skells
20th February 2003, 11:01 AM
Yeah and I need 35 now.

Norris Lurker
20th February 2003, 08:10 PM
The AFL are so worried about a non-Victorian side winning that they're guaranteeing 3 of them will go through to the 2nd round? Doesn't make sense.

Cheer Cheer
20th February 2003, 08:35 PM
Storm in a tea cup, no conspiracy here, just sound decision making by the AFL ( for a change )

vagary
20th February 2003, 09:47 PM
i like the first week set up being that wa and sa will get large crowds due to local derbies. however the second week i'm not sure about as the winning team from sa has to play the winning team from wa. i would have thought that they would of had them play vic teams.

Grant
21st February 2003, 09:05 AM
Definately no conspiracy.Wouldn't you think if they were thinking along those lines that they would have had vic teams at home against interstate teams to make it easier for them all to progress,instead of having them all play each other and knocking half of them out.
Some people just look too much into things,or have too much time on their hands to think up this dribble.

gloveski
21st February 2003, 12:10 PM
I think its a great idea a better chance for supporters to see some of the youngsters as only Brisbane supporters will miss out by not playing in their home state.You would expect the first round of the wizard cup to have healthy crowds

Jude4eva
1st March 2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by gloveski
I think its a great idea a better chance for supporters to see some of the youngsters as only Brisbane supporters will miss out by not playing in their home state.You would expect the first round of the wizard cup to have healthy crowds

Sure it might of been a great idea to allow the outer victoria sides to play each other but by eliminating some of the outer victoria teasms gives a melbourne team to actually win the comp instead of the outer victoria sides. In other words the Afl dont want any side that is out of state to win the comp this year....