PDA

View Full Version : Pykes tackling

swanspant12
21st July 2010, 05:54 PM
Pykey had some goood pressure in the game on sunday and seemed to wrap his players up and pin them to the ground, as well as tackling juddy and pinning him for the holding the ball. He obviously doesn't posses the skills however his physical attributes and pressure are sure to be his keys.

Go Swannies
21st July 2010, 06:10 PM
Pykey had some goood pressure in the game on sunday and seemed to wrap his players up and pin them to the ground, as well as tackling juddy and pinning him for the holding the ball. He obviously doesn't posses the skills however his physical attributes and pressure are sure to be his keys.

I was at the game and have only seen bits of the coverage but the commentators made the valid point that Pyke and Jack have rugby backgrounds so tackles stick.

dimelb
21st July 2010, 06:10 PM
He learned to tackle in Rugby Union - on the whole a good grounding for AFL, provided he doesn't take their legs out. His skills in that area are fine. From comments he's made before, I think it's the handballs he has to keep working on the most, but he's getting a bit of a workout there as well.

Go Swannies
21st July 2010, 06:20 PM
He learned to tackle in Rugby Union - on the whole a good grounding for AFL, provided he doesn't take their legs out. His skills in that area are fine. From comments he's made before, I think it's the handballs he has to keep working on the most, but he's getting a bit of a workout there as well.

The next stage in his development will be to handball to someone other than McVeigh - he's got that move down pat. And it's spreading - even ROK passed off to McV at the weekend.

satchmopugdog
21st July 2010, 06:44 PM
Just like Dunkley used to pass off to Schwatta.

Bloody Hell
21st July 2010, 07:17 PM
The next stage in his development will be to handball to someone other than McVeigh - he's got that move down pat. And it's spreading - even ROK passed off to McV at the weekend.

That was happening alot between all the players. I thought they must have been instructed.

goswannie14
21st July 2010, 08:08 PM
His first two tackles in the forst 5 minutes of the game were absolutely flawless, and they stick. Awesome to watch.

goswannies
21st July 2010, 08:11 PM
provided he doesn't take their legs out.

@ 200cm he's more likely to take off their heads!!

mcs
21st July 2010, 08:15 PM
"The next stage in his development will be to handball to someone other than McVeigh - he's got that move down pat. And it's spreading - even ROK passed off to McV at the weekend.
That was happening alot between all the players. I thought they must have been instructed. "

It was discussed in the match thread, but a lot of people and I do as well think ROK is clearly not fit, as he was kicking a lot with his right boot and favouring it almost completely- hence the reason for the handoff to McVeigh.

ScottH
21st July 2010, 08:25 PM

That may have been when Mcv's opponent was right on his hammer, and there wasn't an opportunity. It is becoming a bit obvious.
But given his kick to Goodes last wekk, his kicking isn't too bad, so I'm surprised he doesn't have a kick more often.

liz
21st July 2010, 09:48 PM
I reckon Pykey's been doing a fair bit of work on his tackling technique. Earlier in his development - and even earlier this season - he was prone to tackle too vigorously and either slip high or drive someone in the back. But last weekend, his technique looked pretty much flawless.

Q...
21st July 2010, 11:04 PM

The thing I like most about Pyke is that he has a brain in his head. Although he often (if not usually) hands off to McVeigh, he assesses his options first. If the handpass isn't on, he doesn't give it. Even though it's obvious that that's his preference, I can't remember a time when he's given a handball "automatically" from a mark situation where it wasn't a useful option. The times when he's under pressure and he can't remember which hand you hold the ball with and which hand to hit it with is a different point. But that's quite funny to watch. ;)

As ScottH points out, the boy can kick. Which, when combined with his brain, is probably why he's confident to not handoff (even though he usually does).

Primmy
21st July 2010, 11:29 PM
I love watching his tackle. Its almost gentle. Wrap up victim in bearhug, lay down on ground, prevent movement of said victim. Never a thud, just an inexorable statement of "you are tackled". Said victims almost never argue the toss about it either. They seem to recognise it's fruitless.

MikePyke = HuggyBear.

dimelb
21st July 2010, 11:49 PM
I love watching his tackle. Its almost gentle. Wrap up victim in bearhug, lay down on ground, prevent movement of said victim. Never a thud, just an inexorable statement of "you are tackled". Said victims almost never argue the toss about it either. They seem to recognise its fruitless.

MikePyke = HuggyBear.
Or Shelob!

Q...
22nd July 2010, 12:15 AM
I love watching his tackle. Its almost gentle. Wrap up victim in bearhug, lay down on ground, prevent movement of said victim. Never a thud, just an inexorable statement of "you are tackled". Said victims almost never argue the toss about it either. They seem to recognise its fruitless.

MikePyke = HuggyBear.

Gold! One of the most enjoyable things I've ever read. Encapsulates it perfectly, in such an articulate manner!

Primmy
22nd July 2010, 08:32 AM
Or Shelob!

Point, but shelob is not noice, and Pyke is.

Q; flatterer!

ScottH
22nd July 2010, 08:42 AM
I love watching his tackle. Its almost gentle. Wrap up victim in bearhug, lay down on ground, prevent movement of said victim. Never a thud, just an inexorable statement of "you are tackled". Said victims almost never argue the toss about it either. They seem to recognise it's fruitless.

MikePyke = HuggyBear.

I was more concerned about these statements dimelb!!!
:o

ItsAllGoodes
22nd July 2010, 09:39 AM
Just like Dunkley used to pass off to Schwatta.

And years before that it was Barry Round to Mark Browning

dimelb
22nd July 2010, 03:58 PM
I was more concerned about these statements dimelb!!!
:o
Aren't you a mod? Purge yourself!

Go Swannies
22nd July 2010, 04:13 PM
Aren't you a mod? Purge yourself!

Too true, especially after the Swans ladies lounge was discrete enough not to mention how, um, enthused big Jesse was in one of the images linked after the Blues game.

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd July 2010, 09:59 PM
It'd have to be the only time anyone was turned on by hugging Rhyce Shaw.

Primmy
22nd July 2010, 10:37 PM
Wrong!

I am not going to explain.

Go Swannies
23rd July 2010, 04:44 PM
Pyke proves he belongs

Pyke proves he belongs - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/98833/default.aspx)