PDA

View Full Version : Free-to -Air TV Games

redunderthebed
26th July 2010, 11:06 AM
It must have been a while since I was inflicted to a free-to-air broadcast of a Swans game.Frankly, I don't know what got me angrier,the crap on field performance or the horrendous number of advertisements. OK,usually in a Swans match there ain't this many goals but ,after the first ten minutes of watching TWO adds on every goal,I'd already had seven tinnies, five walks around the block,kicked the crap outa the mut and still had one million add-times to occupy myself before the conclusion.
Frankly, why would anyone ,except dedicated Swans/Demons fans watch this rubbish? Four quarters on inane adds that totally destroy any appeal of our game. You could not recruit potential fans by showing this trashing by Ch 7 and the advertisers.No continuity no replays.This does our game no good.

Swans500
26th July 2010, 11:59 AM
One good thing about living overseas....no ads during the footy. Omnisport and ESPN3 play the feed direct and commercial free, but it does mean enduring somewhat more of the inane stuff from the likes of Bruuuuce....Also the first year ever where I have seen every Swans game, live and uninterrupted....

GoSouth33
26th July 2010, 12:02 PM
Oh, that was the other thing about yesterday's telecast, the bloody commentators were giving me the @@@@@s.

aardvark
26th July 2010, 12:06 PM
Oh, that was the other thing about yesterday's telecast, the bloody commentators were giving me the @@@@@s.

When I'm dictator Bruce will be one of the first up against the wall along with Kelly Underwood.

BSA5
26th July 2010, 02:40 PM
When I'm dictator Bruce will be one of the first up against the wall along with Kelly Underwood.

NO! You should be constructive, achieve something! Assign them to commentate Collingwood games (except against us) for the rest of eternity.

UglyDuckling
26th July 2010, 02:44 PM
bruce, dennis and richo spend more time talking about each other and flirting than commentating the game. Combine that with a huge melbourne bias, including them outwardly saying they dont want to say anything bad about melbourne. Conclusion: i hate channel 7.

Please, please dont win the next tv rights.

aardvark
26th July 2010, 03:04 PM
NO! You should be constructive, achieve something! Assign them to commentate Collingwood games (except against us) for the rest of eternity.

You know i dislike the mudpies but that is really extreme....

redunderthebed
26th July 2010, 03:55 PM
I think I am talking to myself.
I agree the commentators,game,umps,coach,players, masterchef and Hitler were shocking BUT I simply stated the f...ing game is impossible to watch on TV when they shove so much advertisements into the mix.

Jewels
26th July 2010, 04:10 PM
I think I am talking to myself.
I agree the commentators,game,umps,coach,players, masterchef and Hitler were shocking BUT I simply stated the f...ing game is impossible to watch on TV when they shove so much advertisements into the mix.

No, you're not talking to yourself. I wholeheartedly agree.

royboy42
26th July 2010, 05:51 PM
I'm with you...there has to be a better way to insert commercials than immediately after each goal!
The flow of the game is instantly stopped stone dead.
You go from euphoria one second to hating that idiot in the rubber head at the bottle shop in a flash! As a matter of interest to that company..I never buy from their outlets..and have emailed them as to why.
Maybe a solid block of four or five commercials at quarter's end?? oh. they do that already..of co
urse.

Damien
26th July 2010, 05:58 PM
I'm with you...there has to be a better way to insert commercials than immediately after each goal!
The flow of the game is instantly stopped stone dead.

I would prefer them to do what Commerical Radio does "The Insert Sponsor Scoreboard", The "Insert Sponsor Replay" etc etc, the whole game instead of heaps of ads. Unfortuantely, it will only get worse next rights deal, 1 billion is a lot to make back in 5 years.

ugg
26th July 2010, 06:02 PM
If you can be bothered, watch the replays on AFL/Bigpond and they don't have the ads between the goals and you can pick up a lot from what is said between the goals.

Mr Magoo
26th July 2010, 06:14 PM
Get foxtel and in ninety percent of cases you can avoid that crap. Free to air I agree is almost impossible to watch and the whole spectacle is destroyed by the constant advertising BUT in defence of the networks if the AFL expects them to stump up so much dough for the right to broadcast then there has to be a payoff for them. They arent broadcasting out of the goodness of their hearts.

laughingnome
26th July 2010, 06:28 PM
I would prefer them to do what Commerical Radio does "The Insert Sponsor Scoreboard", The "Insert Sponsor Replay" etc etc, the whole game instead of heaps of ads. Unfortuantely, it will only get worse next rights deal, 1 billion is a lot to make back in 5 years.

Why not do it like the cricket and scroll an ad across the bottom of the screen?

Jesse Richards
26th July 2010, 08:57 PM
Ch 7 coverage - the camera on a North player on the sidelines while the play (in our 50, I think) was not shown. Calling the wrong names for players or missing out one in a sequence of play, inane pro opposition chatter. When they do say something about the Swans it is mostly repeated, wrong or inane. Going on and on about opposition injuries and not even mentioning what is happening with our guys. The Melbourne games was a blur - shock, I think - but I remember thinking how much I hated the coverage. Showed the Melbourne song - hardly ever show ours.

Jesse Richards
26th July 2010, 09:09 PM
Just remembered re the Melbourne game - how much time 7's coverage spent on Jim Steynes accompanied by the hushed reverential worshipping tone of the commentators usually reserved for the Abletts - saying the same thing over and over - or was that from some other coverage. NB It's the coverage amount and style I object to, not Jim Steynes himself.

GoSouth33
27th July 2010, 12:18 AM
Also, don't forget that the game is now being held up by the commercials. The bounce after each goal is only made after the umpire gets the all clear from the commentary box. So, instead of the stations fitting in with the game, the game fits in with the broadcasters.