PDA

View Full Version : Campbelltown

shearer
20th August 2010, 11:24 AM
Pardon the pun here but I dont want to put the "slipper" into Campbelltown but what is Brian Kershaw doing playing senior footy?And why could they only get 19 blokes to play seniors last week?

But a telling point from the result was even with slipper at full forward they led Sydney Uni at quarter time.

I know C/Town is struggling with 18's but for a powerhouse club this is disappointing, Buckets what are the league doing wrong development wise out your way or doing to help you guys.

tara
20th August 2010, 12:14 PM
Mate they have a development officer out that way that bleeds blue who has been pretty handy in passing on names to them this year being no exception.

Sometimes
20th August 2010, 12:21 PM
Just one player named on the bench on the SydneyAFL site, a legend of the league, "TBA".

Pace To Burn
20th August 2010, 04:43 PM
Just a @@@@ load of injuries at the moment mate. We had to make a decision on the thursday as our twos only had 12 players and were playing at a diff ground to our 18s and ones so we forfeited that game, our 18s were suppose to have 19 players but 5 didnt turn up which meant they were short, in retrospect we should have probably played the lot in third div but were trying to not forfeit 18s again. Our ones had a full 22 but we had one guy pull out due to work commitments at the last minute and two guys had a car accident, the final player was going to back up from 18s but some miss comunication saw him leave after their game leaving us 4 short and as our twos wernt playing we couldnt get anyone to fill in for those three at late notice. The boys tried hard but obviously they run out legs.

tara
20th August 2010, 04:49 PM
Just a @@@@ load of injuries at the moment mate. We had to make a decision on the thursday as our twos only had 12 players and were playing at a diff ground to our 18s and ones so we forfeited that game, our 18s were suppose to have 19 players but 5 didnt turn up which meant they were short, in retrospect we should have probably played the lot in third div but were trying to not forfeit 18s again. Our ones had a full 22 but we had one guy pull out due to work commitments at the last minute and two guys had a car accident, the final player was going to back up from 18s but some miss comunication saw him leave after their game leaving us 4 short and as our twos wernt playing we couldnt get anyone to fill in for those three at late notice. The boys tried hard but obviously they run out legs.

You guys rehearsed that didnt you;) - Just glad we are getting a game at Blacktown, looking forward to having a couple of beers afterwards seeing as the wife is making the big 5 minute trip from home this week.

Pace To Burn
20th August 2010, 05:06 PM
WHos that?

tara
20th August 2010, 05:08 PM
Whos what?

shearer
20th August 2010, 05:10 PM
another perfect example of why teams playing all over the shop is the most effing stupid thing to happen to the sfl.

Norris Lurker
20th August 2010, 05:15 PM
Sounds like someone at Campbelltown must have walked under a ladder on Friday 13th - shocking run of bad luck there. Hopefully 2011 works out better down Campbelltown way.

Ken Oath
20th August 2010, 05:29 PM
They are tied 6th. Not exactly a disasterous season either.

ShortHalfHead
20th August 2010, 05:42 PM

Minimum before forfeit is 14. 19 - 5 = 14. Doh !
I would have insisted with running with 14 to give those 14 a game.

DLH
20th August 2010, 05:50 PM
another perfect example of why teams playing all over the shop is the most effing stupid thing to happen to the sfl.

Depends on your point of view I guess.

Some clubs would say it's the best thing that the AFL have done for quite a while.

Steamboat
20th August 2010, 06:42 PM
Minimum before forfeit is 14. 19 - 5 = 14. Doh !
I would have insisted with running with 14 to give those 14 a game.
SHH,a further two got stuck coming up from W Gong,so we only had 12,so Syd Uni gave us 5 of their best and we did get a game sorted,those 5 made a big
difference as C Town boys did come out on top in the end,which goes to show that 4 or 5 quality footballers can turn the fortune of any side around,you just have to find them.

mountainsofpain
20th August 2010, 07:43 PM
The old First Division where the same clubs dominated each year, while the same group of other clubs just turned up with no hope of winning anything, was far worse.

Your view on the new setup depends on how genuinely interested you are in Sydney football overall rather than your own particular little backyard I guess.

The Duck
21st August 2010, 01:13 PM
Not sure about that Mountains,

Without wanting to get Pekay and Tara and the others to fired up, I think the Cambelltown situation is a good example of the effects the new structure can have on a club. It clearly shows that the divisionalisation of the competition has a massive resource strain on both players and officials at club levels. Having three teams playing at three different venues (I agree not every week) is the most absurd situation at any football club. Over the last 15 years 8 different clubs have particpated in Grand Finals, I would pressume this would be a pretty good strike rate at most other competitions. In terms of the Division 1 competition, East Coast and Pennant Hills have both been successful in the past, with a few more losses this year they would be relegated. How is that good for any football club. Please do not take my comments to heart, I am genuinely interested in Sydney football and not my own backyard, I just think the current set up is a disgrace to football in Sydney.

tara
21st August 2010, 08:50 PM
Duck I don't disagree as we have been affected as well tithe adverse as well. Today we were all over sydney and really struggled for support I had the physio running water a kid who came to watch umpire and a kid as my runner. I also agree that it isn't ideal but it allows for more even competition. On the campbelltown side I really have to say the lady who manned the gate today at blacktown really us a credit to her club as she worked hard all day be it at the gate or at the BBQ in a lone effort when I saw her. I hope they appreciate her efforts

Pace To Burn
24th August 2010, 11:43 AM
Whos what?

Whos the development person in our area that feeds us players? If your refering to Bill Webb i think youl find hes not in our area anymore and i could count on one hand the players he did send to us when he was.

tara
24th August 2010, 11:54 AM
Whos the development person in our area that feeds us players? If your refering to Bill Webb i think youl find hes not in our area anymore and i could count on one hand the players he did send to us when he was.

Pace I never said a name or that the individual was sending players your way merely passing on phone numbers and making a few calls himself - fact is the bloke you mentioned loves your club and despite no longer working in your region will continue to try and convince people to join you - a few of my boys have been run on more than one occasion this year and neither of the two who went to you could have provided these details.

YoungKanga
25th August 2010, 11:57 AM
Its pretty clear cut that the campbelltown area no longer has a junior base.... You can have somebody working in AFL development at schools, but getting that kid to a junior club is near impossible. They ultimatley have no accountability from the development side of things.. They think getting a kid out of class running round kickin a football as successful. If im 12 or 13 i know where id rather be. not in class thats for sure.

The clear solution to the problem would be to make a team for the entire region which stretches from mac fields to picton. The entire Macathur region. The junior and senior bases all coming under the one banner. AFL Development works on behalf of the entire club.

I could go on for hours about this particular thing.. but the head honchos of both Campbelltown and more notably Camden need to swallow there pride and do wats best for football for the entire region.

radar oreilly
25th August 2010, 12:19 PM
Very interesting YoungKanga. Maybe you could further expand on your comments of how more notable Camden is than Campbelltown on the parlous state of AFL football in the Macarthur region?

beameup
25th August 2010, 12:22 PM
The clear solution to the problem would be to make a team for the entire region which stretches from mac fields to picton. The entire Macathur region. The junior and senior bases all coming under the one banner. AFL Development works on behalf of the entire club.

I could go on for hours about this particular thing.. but the head honchos of both Campbelltown and more notably Camden need to swallow there pride and do wats best for football for the entire region.[/QUOTE]

There are other areas that probably need to think similarly. Consider Saints and Power could provide a huge club with teams in all Divisions giving fantastic progression opportunities for blokes moving up and down based on capability. Both home grounds and facilities would be used. Hard to get a merger anywhere though however the current structure with promotion and relegation probably provides incentive for such developments

YoungKanga
25th August 2010, 12:31 PM
Very interesting YoungKanga. Maybe you could further expand on your comments of how more notable Camden is than Campbelltown on the parlous state of AFL football in the Macarthur region?

From my understanding Camden dont wont to be taken over by the more.....i guess u could call it powerful Campbelltown outfit ($$$).. Scared that after a few years camden would be nothin more than a distant memory...I could never see that happening though..
But they are entitled to think that cause they have done alot of work to get the club where it is now and dont wanna see it all go to waste...

Maybe i havent understood both sides of the story.. but its seems clear cut.

The Duck
25th August 2010, 02:24 PM
Agree with your comments 110% Young Kanga, would certainly be of more benifit have one powerful club than a couple of weaker outfits

unconfuseme
26th August 2010, 12:00 AM
Less is more

snow leopard
26th August 2010, 06:20 PM
Agree with your comments 110% Young Kanga, would certainly be of more benifit have one powerful club than a couple of weaker outfits

A super club!!!that's how you finish up with a minority sport. AFL people in the area have to get off their backsides and promote their clubs and the game. The problem lies in these clubs doing nothing or next to nothing in promoting their clubs and the game and expecting players to come through the door on their own accord, very rarely happens that way. You only get out of it what you put in.

YoungKanga
27th August 2010, 10:18 AM
A super club!!!that's how you finish up with a minority sport. AFL people in the area have to get off their backsides and promote their clubs and the game. The problem lies in these clubs doing nothing or next to nothing in promoting their clubs and the game and expecting players to come through the door on their own accord, very rarely happens that way. You only get out of it what you put in.

In the end you cant force anyone to have a game fo football.. there only so many AFL supporters in a particular area and a majority of players new to the game are from rival codes.
Showing up to a new football club with no experience and getting pumped every week is not a good advertisement for the game..

On top of this no juniors coming through the ranks mean no current players have the passion to develop the game in that area.

Hawknik
27th August 2010, 10:24 AM
Showing up to a new football club with no experience and getting pumped every week is not a good advertisement for the game..

Do you believe that relegation will assist then?? (honest question)

ShortHalfHead
27th August 2010, 10:39 AM

Given the choice of being beaten by 100 + each week and not winning all year as well as watching players drop out because of lck of competitive interest or being a part of a second tier competition where a finals spot is likely and players will continue to play every week, I think I know what 9 out of 10 players would like to do.

YoungKanga
27th August 2010, 10:45 AM
Given the choice of being beaten by 100 + each week and not winning all year as well as watching players drop out because of lck of competitive interest or being a part of a second tier competition where a finals spot is likely and players will continue to play every week, I think I know what 9 out of 10 players would like to do.

i dont think relegation is the answer.....

Remebering this year that they beat both east coast and penno at there homegrounds.

To many good players in the team to see them running round in div 1.
Could have opposite affect and see players moving to other clubs in premier div... therefore destroying the whole club.

ShortHalfHead
27th August 2010, 11:30 AM
i dont think relegation is the answer.....

Remebering this year that they beat both east coast and penno at there homegrounds.

To many good players in the team to see them running round in div 1.
Could have opposite affect and see players moving to other clubs in premier div... therefore destroying the whole club.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about their Firsts. They deserve to be there and should stay there. Finished equal sixth so a good effort IMO

unconfuseme
27th August 2010, 08:30 PM

Here is the comparison of a club that has stayed in the deep end too long, and one that has started (resumed) from the bottom

Campbelltown, 3 teams, Prem Div/Div3/Premier Cup 18's
... getting belted in most games throughout the year, but they do have some extremely talented youngsters who have won some PD games
... playing out of their grade? Div 3 & 18's - yes
... consequently struggle week in week out to field teams, forfiet games, poor junior numbers

Moorebank, 3 teams Div3/Div4/Challenge Cup 18's
... minor premiers/top 3/struggled - but never forfieted!
... playing out of their grade? yes - probably should be promoted
... consequently a happy, thriving club with excellent numbers and people dedicated to junior development

and a solution

Combine these 2 clubs and you have a top 4 Premier div team, and probably competitive Div 1, 2 & 3 teams and a competetive PD 18's who will never forfiet, and the necessary admin and support, with focus on juniors, to ensure sustained success (and free parking at Rosedale ... put $7.50 for a pie)

Hawknik
27th August 2010, 08:45 PM
Seems as though Campbelltown is in a very tough spot. As Kanga says, and from his comments over time on here I think he has fair value to add, "getting pumped every week is not a good advertisement for the game", yet I agree with him in releagtion is not the answer as it is a massive area of "potential" (as is Wollongong, hence why relegation is a contentious topic).
Problem here is some of the development areas just are not developing. Moorebank has done a great job in developing, and that area of Bankstown/Liverpool/Moorebank should be an area in it's own right. Same Campbelltown and Wollongong.
Now is merging Moorebank and Campbelltown the answer? My thoughts, no, from many things, just too far apart geographically. But if it is not sorted out sooner or later, they will keep falling away and relegation should be considered to rebuild (gee, that will get some fur flying......).

Pace To Burn
30th August 2010, 01:15 PM
We are def open to merging with Camden and it is def the logical thing to happen, they are struggling for two senior sides most weeks and so are we as soon as when we dont have much luck with injuries etc. The common sense thing would be to have three senior sides to start in Prem, 2nd and third div with the current nos,and one 18s and then try to build as the juniors hopefully come through. Camden were originaly the blues also and the juniors play in the same strip also. Macarthur Blues would probably be one suggestion.

Pekay
30th August 2010, 01:30 PM
We are def open to merging with Camden and it is def the logical thing to happen, they are struggling for two senior sides most weeks and so are we as soon as when we dont have much luck with injuries etc. The common sense thing would be to have three senior sides to start in Prem, 2nd and third div with the current nos,and one 18s and then try to build as the juniors hopefully come through. Camden were originaly the blues also and the juniors play in the same strip also. Macarthur Blues would probably be one suggestion.

So it has been discussed at a committee level then? It does make sense, only a stone's throw from each other, and would stop the clearances back and forth.

Pace To Burn
30th August 2010, 02:27 PM
So it has been discussed at a committee level then? It does make sense, only a stone's throw from each other, and would stop the clearances back and forth.

Yeah mate, had a meeting with them last year but they wanted to do something similar to what you and east coast had with platers able to move, not really beneficial, best would be a merge, double the volunteers with less work for everyone i reckon. Also had a meeting with the league and most of our commitee last week and we told them we are up for it so it wont be us holding it up

Pekay
30th August 2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah mate, had a meeting with them last year but they wanted to do something similar to what you and east coast had with platers able to move, not really beneficial, best would be a merge, double the volunteers with less work for everyone i reckon. Also had a meeting with the league and most of our commitee last week and we told them we are up for it so it wont be us holding it up

Seems to be a logical and pro-active choice. They have some talented young blokes at Camden (Although pretty sure they'd come from Town) Hope it bears fruit, would be a big ask for both clubs to go through what they did this year.