PDA

View Full Version : Gws

Grady1993
2nd September 2010, 12:00 PM
Now this is very old news, but I'm sure none of you are aware of this:

As you all know, Israel Folau signed with GWS a few months back. This is what happened to the local AFL ground (right in the heart of Sydney West or Rugby League "central") the very next day. I also trust the proud AFL supporters out there in Sydney not to make a big deal out of this as that would just be playing their (Rugby League) stupid games. I am only sharing this with the forum as I believe it might give an insight into why team GWS won't work.

Pekay
2nd September 2010, 12:34 PM

As you all know, Israel Folau signed with GWS a few months back. This is what happened to the local AFL ground (right in the heart of Sydney West or Rugby League "central") the very next day. I also trust the proud AFL supporters out there in Sydney not to make a big deal out of this as that would just be playing their (Rugby League) stupid games. I am only sharing this with the forum as I believe it might give an insight into why team GWS won't work.

Hahaha, damn I've seen worse than that in my time living out here. If it makes them feel better, let them eat cake I say.

As for Team GWS not working, you must understand, that GWS aren't out to convert the rugby fans, they have it ingrained into them, much the same as our brethren down south are indoctrinated with rules. If GWS want to succeed, they need to stop with this Homebush and GWS4ACT rubbish, and focus on gathering local area fans.

I recieved an email asking to 'sell $50 token memberships" for GWS, and believed I could sell them to mates, footy friends etc, as we are all interested in GWS, imagine my frustration when the parcel arrives, asking me to 'sell memberships for support of games in ACT' I promptly returned the book with an email stating that this approach will only serve to frustrate those wishing to back GWS.

Until they stop treating the people of the west with contempt, it will fail.

AnnieH
2nd September 2010, 12:36 PM
That's hilarious. Gotta love the humour of the little people.

Someone make sure Sheedy sees it.

Grady1993
2nd September 2010, 12:46 PM
If GWS want to succeed, they need to stop with this Homebush and GWS4ACT rubbish, and focus on gathering local area fans.

I honestly don't think they could get enough local AFL fans, cause majority of kids who play AFL in the Sydney West comp, are infact Rugby League fans. It would help them to get local fans if they actually listed some local kids, which wil never happen. There is a kid playing in my team who goes by the name of Mathew Payne, some of you die hard swans fans will no that he has played a few games for swans reserves as a top up player, as for GWS not interested in him what so ever. They just aren't interested in players in Sydney, which is what the media thinks they are.

That's hilarious. Gotta love the humour of the little people.

Someone make sure Sheedy sees it.

Well my dad and I are very good mates with the manager of their tac cup team and he saw it don't worry about it :)

RogueSwan
2nd September 2010, 12:59 PM
... I also trust the proud AFL supporters out there in Sydney not to make a big deal out of this...

That is actually quite funny, I like it.
Seems a bit too clever for RL fans though. :eek:

beameup
2nd September 2010, 03:04 PM
To me it shows the people are concerned about the threat but are still stupid enought to vandalise sporting equipment used by the local children. The other way to look at it is that they have no idea about Folau and are just vandals. World is full of dropkicks and these are just clever ones

Ken Oath
2nd September 2010, 03:38 PM
Why was Falou signed? not because of his skills, because he's a drawcard with young rugby league fans.

The AFL hierarchy spat in the face of all league fans by signing their best player. They could easily have set up their GWS club with out picking fights.
The whole Falou case stinks of arrogance and was totally unnecessary. League fans won?t flock to see AFL because we signed Falou, but they will despise and hate us even more.
As the picture evidently shows..

stellation
2nd September 2010, 03:39 PM
Hahaha, annoying for the local club I'm sure, but pretty funny.

Grady1993
2nd September 2010, 04:33 PM
Why was Falou signed? not because of his skills, because he's a drawcard with young rugby league fans.

The AFL hierarchy spat in the face of all league fans by signing their best player. They could easily have set up their GWS club with out picking fights.
The whole Falou case stinks of arrogance and was totally unnecessary. League fans won?t flock to see AFL because we signed Falou, but they will despise and hate us even more.

That's why I posted the picture as evidence that they didn't take to nicely to Folau being signed.

Dunger
2nd September 2010, 05:42 PM

Great picture, I think it's hilarious.

No one forced Folau to put his autograph on to the contract and by GWS showing up the NRL they showed how dumb the NRL admin are by having restrictive salary cap rules amongst other things. The NRL have had it over the AFL in Sydney for too long and a couple of salvos fired across the bow to warn of the intending battle is good to see imho. Fans of both codes will benefit while the AFL battle to reduce the NRLs monopoly in the west.

If anything these creative vandals should be tearing down the cross bar from a league field, cutting it into two and spearing them into the ground to make behind posts because all League seems to do is go from scandal to scandal while bleeding players to switch codes or countries for more dollars. AFL has it's problems but they seem to dwarf (except for Demetriou) in comparison.

beameup
2nd September 2010, 06:31 PM
It is interesting in some sort of bizarre way. NRL has a bunch of boofheads who drink far too much and take it out on women whilst the AFL has a bunch of boofheads that take drugs and no body is allowed to know about it. From a public relations viewpoint which is worse. I suspect from the Mum of a player it might be drugs as they are illegal and misunderstood but really the culture of NRL is atrocious. Not saying AFL is perfect but just seem to have a better grip on it from a big picture perspective (leaving aside drug results). How do you change culture without sacrificing some people? Probably cannot.

Back to the goalposts..........nothing more to say

Triple B
2nd September 2010, 06:41 PM
This is funny and until I lost them in a hard drive re-format a few years ago, I also had photo evidence.

I live in an estate now established for about 10 years. A few years ago they reclaimed some land (was a swamp) and built 2 playing fields complete with turf wickets. I was pleased when I read in the local paper that during winter they were going to use the grounds for Aussie Rules.

Come the finish of the cricket season, I eagerly awaited the erection of the posts by the local council. When the day finally arrived, the realisation that AFL still has a long way to go in Western Sydney hit home.....on both grounds, they put the behind posts in the middle with the taller goal posts to the outside....lol

It may have been a prank by the council workers, but if it came to be that they didn't know any better, it would not surprise me at all.

Big Al
2nd September 2010, 09:24 PM
It is interesting in some sort of bizarre way. NRL has a bunch of boofheads who drink far too much and take it out on women whilst the AFL has a bunch of boofheads that take drugs and no body is allowed to know about it. From a public relations viewpoint which is worse. I suspect from the Mum of a player it might be drugs as they are illegal and misunderstood but really the culture of NRL is atrocious. Not saying AFL is perfect but just seem to have a better grip on it from a big picture perspective (leaving aside drug results). How do you change culture without sacrificing some people? Probably cannot.

Back to the goalposts..........nothing more to say

Here's a story that shows the good being done by one of the NRL clubs. My experience is that the problems in the NRL are attributed to a minority which detracts from the majority who do great work. I was at this particular game when the players took this kid under their wing. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

Little Lleyton (http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=29115&little-lleyton-a-%27massive-inspiration%27-says-farah)

Pekay
3rd September 2010, 09:07 AM
This is funny and until I lost them in a hard drive re-format a few years ago, I also had photo evidence.

I live in an estate now established for about 10 years. A few years ago they reclaimed some land (was a swamp) and built 2 playing fields complete with turf wickets. I was pleased when I read in the local paper that during winter they were going to use the grounds for Aussie Rules.

Come the finish of the cricket season, I eagerly awaited the erection of the posts by the local council. When the day finally arrived, the realisation that AFL still has a long way to go in Western Sydney hit home.....on both grounds, they put the behind posts in the middle with the taller goal posts to the outside....lol
It may have been a prank by the council workers, but if it came to be that they didn't know any better, it would not surprise me at all.

Where was this?? Thats hilarious.

Triple B
3rd September 2010, 09:27 AM
Where was this?? Thats hilarious.

Greenway Park Estate, West Hoxton. (Holsworthy Tigers home grounds). Gee I wish I still had those photos :D

Grady1993
3rd September 2010, 10:28 AM
Greenway Park Estate, West Hoxton. (Holsworthy Tigers home grounds). Gee I wish I still had those photos :D

Oh ha ha I've played there, quite like the ground but it can flood easily :/

tara
3rd September 2010, 10:41 AM
Oh ha ha I've played there, quite like the ground but it can flood easily :/

I never heard about that but then again Liverpool Council also erected (correctly) goal posts on an oval near the cross roads at Liverpool on a ground that was never meant to get them - didnt stop us utilising it during the preseason.

Doormat
3rd September 2010, 11:16 AM
Come on pk.
It was a gee up asking you personally to help GWS;)We all know you too busy running SAFL.

What gave it away was when you said"and GWS believed I could sell them to mates, footy friends etc", Everyone knows you have no mates or footy friends.:mad:

Hahaha, damn I've seen worse than that in my time living out here. If it makes them feel better, let them eat cake I say.

As for Team GWS not working, you must understand, that GWS aren't out to convert the rugby fans, they have it ingrained into them, much the same as our brethren down south are indoctrinated with rules. If GWS want to succeed, they need to stop with this Homebush and GWS4ACT rubbish, and focus on gathering local area fans.

I recieved an email asking to 'sell $50 token memberships" for GWS, and believed I could sell them to mates, footy friends etc, as we are all interested in GWS, imagine my frustration when the parcel arrives, asking me to 'sell memberships for support of games in ACT' I promptly returned the book with an email stating that this approach will only serve to frustrate those wishing to back GWS.

Until they stop treating the people of the west with contempt, it will fail.

Pekay
3rd September 2010, 11:37 AM
Come on pk.
It was a gee up asking you personally to help GWSWe all know you too busy running SAFL.

What gave it away was when you said"and GWS believed I could sell them to mates, footy friends etc", Everyone knows you have no mates or footy friends.

Adelaide Swan
3rd September 2010, 11:56 AM

I am a league fan as well as being a passionate Swans fan and I think it's crazy to suggest Israel Folau is/was rugby league's best player.

Yes he is a good league player but I honestly believe Greg Inglis and Billy Slater(as much as I hate to admit it being a proud New South Welshman) are league's best players.

Not all league fans despise football, in fact as a supporter of both codes, I am proud to say I support both codes.

The thing that concerns me is there aren't enough AFL players/fans in Sydney to support two teams.

Most people I know from the west who follow AFL a bit support us.

In general most fans in NSW support us really.

The only people who will give a @@@@ about GWS are expats from the southern states who aren't Swans supporters.

Sometimes
3rd September 2010, 12:06 PM
One thing people seem to overlook is the fact that not everyone in Western Sydney is a rugby league fan. Sure, a few rugby league fans might vandalise some goal posts, but 1.8 million people live in Western Sydney. 1% of that number get interested and you've got 18,000 at a game.

Adelaide Swan
3rd September 2010, 12:10 PM
One thing people seem to overlook is the fact that not everyone in Western Sydney is a rugby league fan. Sure, a few rugby league fans might vandalise some goal posts, but 1.8 million people live in Western Sydney. 1% of that number get interested and you've got 18,000 at a game.

You've also got rugby union out there as well, mate.

The northwest in particular is a very welded on rugby area.

A lot of the Hills District is very union orientated and a lot of the schools out there are heartlands of union.

Don't forget that soccer is king in GWS territory with the Blacktown City Demons being one of the biggest junior soccer clubs in Australia.

Pekay
3rd September 2010, 12:13 PM

A lot of the Hills District is very union orientated and a lot of the schools out there are heartlands of union.

Don't forget that soccer is king in GWS territory with the Blacktown City Demons being one of the biggest junior soccer clubs in Australia.

Yeah, they bullied my junior club off our grounds. Although, a few more years at Lalor Park and they would've dissipated.

Adelaide Swan
3rd September 2010, 12:19 PM

Yeah, they bullied my junior club off our grounds, pricks. Although, a few more years at Lalor Park and they would've dissipated.

Why would City have bullied your club off your ground?

Last time I checked City play their matches at Lily Homes Stadium(Gabbie Stadium) in Seven Hills.

Very strange.

Grady1993
3rd September 2010, 12:20 PM
Soccer is big near backtown, but not where I live. Just a two minute walk from my house, is the biggest junior Rugby League club in the city and that makes it hardfor AFL. Before I saw the light and left St. Clair JAFC we used to share an AFL ground with five or so St. Clair Rugby League teams plus our six teams, it made it impossible to train.

Sometimes
3rd September 2010, 12:25 PM
Yep, I live and grew up in the northwest (played soccer first, then aussie rules, went to school and go to uni in the area), I think just by the sheer weight of numbers and varying demographics there's a market here for an AFL team.

Adelaide Swan
3rd September 2010, 12:31 PM
Yep, I live and grew up in the northwest (played soccer first, then aussie rules, went to school and go to uni in the area), I think just by the sheer weight of numbers and varying demographics there's a market here for an AFL team.

There is a market for an AFL team and they're called the Swans, mate.

Tbh, the AFL should've done all it can to expand our supporter base instead of marginalising it.

Now people who convert to AFL would go to GWS instead of coming to us.

I see a basketball style situation here.

The Sydney Kings were THE basketball team in Sydney at the time(and still are) but the NBL shot themselves in the foot by introducing the West Sydney Razorbacks into the competition which split the Sydney basketball community in half.

When the Kings were destroyed by that certain conman the Razorbacks then pissed everyone off who were still angry at the Kings demise by changing their name to the Spirit which ultimately led to their demise as well.

The fact is football is very much a minority sport in Sydney and all I see GWS doing is marginalising the football community in half.

The other thing worth noting is that AFL has a serious image problem amongst people in the Western Sydney area.

When Kevin Sheedy claimed he had never heard of Parramatta Eels legend Nathan Hindmarsh that pretty much pissed off a fair chunk of the supporters he was trying to reach out to.

Andrew Demetriou is also hated by those said supporters who view him as an arrogant @@@@@ hellbent on destroying league into the ground.

Plus he even put soccer fans offside with his grandstanding over Australia's FIFA World Cup bid as well.

Sometimes
3rd September 2010, 12:34 PM
Preaching to the converted here, I'm a Swans fan, and have been for 15 (of my 20) years - after coming from no AFL background at all. But will I buy a GWS membership and go to a game every second week at Homebush instead of trekking it in to the SCG? Hell yeah I will.

And on the Kings - back in business! Let's hope this management team is a little more sound than those of the past.

Grady1993
3rd September 2010, 12:39 PM
...will I buy a GWS membership...

I think a lot of people who live in Western Sydney who like AFL will go to more GWS games at Homebush than Swans games at the SCG. It's just so god dam annoying to get too, atleast with Homebush, you can get a train practically to the stadium entry, much more accessable from the West.

Sometimes
3rd September 2010, 12:43 PM
I think a lot of people who live in Western Sydney who like AFL will go to more GWS games at Homebush than Swans games at the SCG. It's just so god dam annoying to get too, atleast with Homebush, you can get a train practically to the stadium entry, much more accessable from the West.

Yep, from out my way, just jump on a free bus full of footy fans on the T-way and you're there in no time. There was some criticism of them playing at Homebush as it isn't in the middle of GWS, but the infrastructure is impossible to ignore.

Pekay
3rd September 2010, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Pekay;505734]

Last time I checked City play their matches at Lily Homes Stadium(Gabbie Stadium) in Seven Hills.

Very strange.

We used to play and train at Ashley Brown Oval, which backs onto Gabbie Stadium. I distinctly remember (Keeping in mind, this happens in about 1991, I was 10) turning up to training to find soccer posts up and kick-n-gigglers everywhere, on the ground we'd used for years! My dad and a few others fathers went searching, and thanks to our club patron Leo Kelly, then Mayor of Blacktown, we found Wrights Reserve, home of the Bombers today. That was the end of any fondness for soccer for me.

Grady1993
3rd September 2010, 12:45 PM
Yep, from out my way, just jump on a free bus full of footy fans on the T-way and you're there in no time. There was some criticism of them playing at Homebush as it isn't in the middle of GWS, but the infrastructure is impossible to ignore.

Well to be honest Blacktown isn't the middle either lol, but some people from the North Shore think that Homebush is Western Sydney.

Ken Oath
3rd September 2010, 01:11 PM
What I hate is that we're all being treated like idiots.

Oh look there's millions of people in this certain area, let's put a new AFL team in there and they'll all swear loyalty to them. Blakctown is in the middle, there that will do.

They should be called the Sydney max profis, or the Sydney ultimate marketings.
There's no history with these new franchises. So there's no passion or emotion to go with it.
A new club entering the AFL from Sydney should have been a local club backed by the AFL and pumped full of cash. At least the people of in the West would feel like there's a tiny bit of history to associate with.

i cringe when I see people supporting new franchises such as the Titans, Freo etc they look pathetic and have fallen for the millions that have been marketed at them. But their nice shiny colours look pretty.

But I suppose on the bright side, at least we didn't get another reject Melbourne club like N.M.shoved down our throat again.

Big Al
3rd September 2010, 01:35 PM
I am a league fan as well as being a passionate Swans fan and I think it's crazy to suggest Israel Folau is/was rugby league's best player.

Yes he is a good league player but I honestly believe Greg Inglis and Billy Slater(as much as I hate to admit it being a proud New South Welshman) are league's best players.

Not all league fans despise football, in fact as a supporter of both codes, I am proud to say I support both codes.

The thing that concerns me is there aren't enough AFL players/fans in Sydney to support two teams.

Most people I know from the west who follow AFL a bit support us.

In general most fans in NSW support us really.

The only people who will give a @@@@ about GWS are expats from the southern states who aren't Swans supporters.

Exactly my situation as well (mad Tigers fan) and also how I read things out west. In the 90's it was that Aerial Ping Pong nonsense but since the Swans success a lot of NRL fans at least appreciate the game and hope the Swans do well.

Doormat
3rd September 2010, 01:51 PM
King pls excuse PK.

FYI he has played AFL, Soccer, cricket, badminton, lacrosse, hockey & been Lake Hawksbury scuba driving champion all at a high level.(in his back yard)

He even played on Roger Moten who was a cyborg can you believe it? He also played on Brad Abbott did you know that?.
Pk carries this chip on his shoulder because Liverpool took some kid named Harry Kewell instead of him (yes he consistently played on Big H as he calls him after a couple of beers).We all do love PK especially his comments about himself so pls dont get your nose out of joint re the ground.:p

[QUOTE=Pekay;505734]

Very strange.

Pekay
3rd September 2010, 02:11 PM
King pls excuse PK.

FYI he has played AFL, Soccer, cricket, badminton, lacrosse, hockey & been Lake Hawksbury scuba driving champion all at a high level.(in his back yard)

He even played on Roger Moten who was a cyborg can you believe it? He also played on Brad Abbott did you know that?.
Pk carries this chip on his shoulder because Liverpool took some kid named Harry Kewell instead of him (yes he consistently played on Big H as he calls him after a couple of beers).We all do love PK especially his comments about himself so pls dont get your nose out of joint re the ground.:p

[QUOTE=King Roosy;505735]

I see that time in hospital did nothing to improve, or decrease, the exponential rate at which your mind works. I suggest Nepean's Paella next time. Those inner suburb crazy houses are all material.

Adelaide Swan
3rd September 2010, 02:23 PM
King pls excuse PK.

[QUOTE=King Roosy;505735]

Nothing out of joint from me, Doormat.

Being the passionate Swans fan that I am I am concerned it is us who stands to lose out with GWS in town more than league will.

The fact was that we were financially screwed up the arse in the 1990's and almost folded and the AFL did nothing to pull us out of that hole.

I am pissed because the AFL did nothing for us yet want to put a rival team in our backyard and fund it all themselves yet did nothing for us.

The fact is it cuts our supporter base in half.

I have been to all of our games at ANZ Stadium for the last few years and if we play there again in the next few seasons we'll be lucky to get half what we already do.

Doormat
3rd September 2010, 03:13 PM
thanks for understanding PK, King.:rolleyes:

Totally agree with you re GWS/AFL.

[QUOTE=Doormat;505753]King pls excuse PK.

Nothing out of joint from me, Doormat.

Being the passionate Swans fan that I am I am concerned it is us who stands to lose out with GWS in town more than league will.

The fact was that we were financially screwed up the arse in the 1990's and almost folded and the AFL did nothing to pull us out of that hole.

I am pissed because the AFL did nothing for us yet want to put a rival team in our backyard and fund it all themselves yet did nothing for us.

The fact is it cuts our supporter base in half.

I have been to all of our games at ANZ Stadium for the last few years and if we play there again in the next few seasons we'll be lucky to get half what we already do.

AnnieH
3rd September 2010, 03:19 PM
You guys know I'm die hard one-eyed swans.
I can't stand the blacktown bogans and what I'm afraid they're going to do to us "financial" wise.

We've just got to make sure our footy remains in the class that it is. It helps greatly that we didn't bottom out like the west-cokers - we really can't afford to bottom out. Fickle people will kill us.

Adelaide Swan
3rd September 2010, 03:23 PM
I can't stand the blacktown bogans and what I'm afraid they're going to do to us "financial" wise.

We've just got to make sure our footy remains in the class that it is. It helps greatly that we didn't bottom out like the west-cokers - we really can't afford to bottom out. Fickle people will kill us.

I agree with you 100% Annie.

Very well said.

Doormat
3rd September 2010, 03:24 PM
Annie - agree with all your comments.

I wouldn't be calling PK fickle? Bogan yes, but not fickle. GWS must see something in him as he was going to set up the bogans membership base out west. Thank god he was on to them & declined.:D

beameup
3rd September 2010, 03:36 PM
I look at it slightly differently and probably with a slightly less jaundiced eye. The AFL have given the Swans a great deal of assistance over the years and at some time you have to get off the teat. The Swans will lose some match attendees who will switch to GWS just from convenience. They are not Swans supporters.

Gws will pick those people up and convert more therefore the interest base in Sydney will grow. Within 5 years the recognition factor will be 50% higher with both teams drawing reasonable crowds from the different parts of Sydney. For example my attendance will probably go from 1-2 games to 3-4 games simply due to Homebush proximity.

What is not recognised is that there are a lot of Swans supporters and game watchers who are not really AFL fans, they just follow one team and a good night out. Having two teams in Sydney will build rivalry forcing people to actually select and support a team. This is when attendance and memberships will climb. At the moment it is just Sydney v Melbourne thing.

Comparisons to Basketball are not valid. It is an American game and I went to dozens of games at the Ent Cent but it died right across Australia. What has to happen is that GWS have to get the communication right. That was lacking this year in a big way and turned a few people off before they even started in the big time. They have a big chunk of sponsors which will get bigger as the benefits of national exposure come to western sydney.

One city, two teams, great rivalry and I will be at first clash no matter what.

Rowdy#8
3rd September 2010, 03:50 PM
Comparisons to Basketball are not valid.

Agreed. And also what people who keep drawing comparisons to Basketball overlook is the fact that an extra game per week is worths millions to the AFL in TV rights, whereas the total annual TV revenue for the NBL would have barely been enough to pay for Steve Carfino's teeth whitener

Adelaide Swan
3rd September 2010, 03:57 PM
I look at it slightly differently and probably with a slightly less jaundiced eye. The AFL have given the Swans a great deal of assistance over the years and at some time you have to get off the teat. The Swans will lose some match attendees who will switch to GWS just from convenience. They are not Swans supporters.

Gws will pick those people up and convert more therefore the interest base in Sydney will grow. Within 5 years the recognition factor will be 50% higher with both teams drawing reasonable crowds from the different parts of Sydney. For example my attendance will probably go from 1-2 games to 3-4 games simply due to Homebush proximity.

What is not recognised is that there are a lot of Swans supporters and game watchers who are not really AFL fans, they just follow one team and a good night out. Having two teams in Sydney will build rivalry forcing people to actually select and support a team. This is when attendance and memberships will climb. At the moment it is just Sydney v Melbourne thing.

Comparisons to Basketball are not valid. It is an American game and I went to dozens of games at the Ent Cent but it died right across Australia. What has to happen is that GWS have to get the communication right. That was lacking this year in a big way and turned a few people off before they even started in the big time. They have a big chunk of sponsors which will get bigger as the benefits of national exposure come to western sydney.

One city, two teams, great rivalry and I will be at first clash no matter what.

The thing you fail to realise is football is very much a minority sport in Sydney.

Western Sydney is the absolute heartland of Rugby League.

Even though we are the only AFL team in Sydney our ratings on TV are woeful.

We have been outrated by reruns of Japanese cooking show, The Iron Chef on a few occasions now.

If you look at Sydney newspapers and watch the news, sports bulletins always start off with league news.

If you seriously believe that interest will grow in GWS, you are seriously as deluded as Demetriou is.

League is king in Western Sydney and it rates the house down on TV.

Coupled with the fact that there will be a second Sydney A-League soccer franchise coming in next season as well.

The fact that Kevin Sheedy has totally made a goose of himself in the papers doesn't help their cause.

A lot of league fans view the AFL as an arrogant organisation intent on burying their game into the ground.

Don't forget soccer fans already have the @@@@s with Demetriou and his cronies with his grandstanding over Australia's FIFA World Cup bid.

unconfuseme
3rd September 2010, 04:59 PM

This is not the reason GWS won't work

... the reasons GWS shouldn't work is because of their lack of professionalism, and the attitude of the AFL to "stick it down our throats", like it or not! ... NO consultative process, no common sense, they will burn more people that are already involved in the game, before they attract a newby ... and they do not seem to care! Oh and they lie.

However, if NRL is the only impediment, they have far better management, and more cash, so they will ultimately be succesful in spite of themselves!

Ken Oath
3rd September 2010, 06:21 PM
... the reasons GWS shouldn't work is because of their lack of professionalism, and the attitude of the AFL to "stick it down our throats", like it or not! ... NO consultative process, no common sense, they will burn more people that are already involved in the game, before they attract a newby ... and they do not seem to care! Oh and they lie.

Here here

beameup
3rd September 2010, 08:30 PM
If GWS get it right it will work. People forget that the west is hating the 'elites' and Swans have always been a team belonging to the eastern suburbs and north shore. Give them their own team and they will take notice altho take a while for supporters and members to emerge. Shame they are playing at Homebush which is not really west. Imagine BOP with stands for 20K people at the intersection of M7, M4 and highway. They would draw crowds of acceptable numbers. They need a plan to get there.

GWS will work but will take time. Homebush draws from Central West Nsw and will continue to do so

Rivalry will solve the interest level. Western Sydney will be absolutely busting to beat Swans

Sometimes
4th September 2010, 12:54 PM
Homebush (Auburn Council) is in GWS, and while BOP is in a great location near the M7 and M4, there really isn't the parking there to cope. A wise idea would be to build a special event train platform behind BOP, which could service GWS and Sydney Blue Sox games, as well as any other events such as this weekend's Blacktown Sportsfest..

2005magicmoment
4th September 2010, 10:02 PM

Dear Ken Oath - talk about the pot calling the kettle black. If you researched rugby league history, rugby league only got off the ground because Dally Messenger widely acknowledged as the best player in rugby union at the time, decided to back the new league giving it an instant credibility to the sport.

What AFL is doing is no different. The signing of Israel Folau gives AFL legitimacy out in the greater West. Anyway AFL can work as a niche sport that will broaden it's roots with an establishment of an AFL team they can identify with.

cos789
6th September 2010, 12:23 PM
The thing you fail to realise is football is very much a minority sport in Sydney.

I think we all know where AR stands in Sydney.

Western Sydney is the absolute heartland of Rugby League.

So rl keeps telling us . Yet NRL is poorly represented and soccer dominates participation .

If you look at Sydney newspapers and watch the news, sports bulletins always start off with league news.

Yes and that is exactly why we need a second team .

League is king in Western Sydney and it rates the house down on TV.

It rates well , because there is nothing else to watch , they aren't excited enough to go to a rl game and all their kids play soccer . AR actually outgrew rl in WS over the last three years .

I converted a family of rl followers to AR supporters just by taking one person to a Swans game .
We're nominally Roosters followers (follow the the results) yet the whole family attends Swans games regularly or irregularly .

Coupled with the fact that there will be a second Sydney A-League soccer franchise coming in next season as well.

So are you criticising soccer as well ? What are the ratings like for the AL ?

A lot of league fans view the AFL as an arrogant organisation intent on burying their game into the ground.

FFS - we are NOT trying to poach rl fans .
It would be damn stupid to poach any die hard fans of any sport .
Any sport has to grow it's own market and what the AFL is doing is giving (mostly young) people the option of another sport - and it's working .

Bert
6th September 2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks Kevin.

Ken Oath
6th September 2010, 01:29 PM
Dear Ken Oath - talk about the pot calling the kettle black. If you researched rugby league history, rugby league only got off the ground because Dally Messenger widely acknowledged as the best player in rugby union at the time, decided to back the new league giving it an instant credibility to the sport.

What AFL is doing is no different. The signing of Israel Folau gives AFL legitimacy out in the greater West. Anyway AFL can work as a niche sport that will broaden it's roots with an establishment of an AFL team they can identify with.

What are you dribbling on about? Why would I research rugby league? Your response has nothing to do with what I said so you?ve lost me I?m afraid.
I don?t follow rugby but I?d be pretty confident without researching, that this Dally Messenger bloke would have most likely gone on to be a highly skilled player in his adopted code.
Presuming they will play him at FF, I would be surprised if Falou ever kicks more that a single goal in an AFL match. Let alone hold a regular spot for his contracted 4 years. It will be embarrassing to watch for him, his club, and the code.
The signing of Falou is just stupid.

For the targeted non-AFL fans in west Sydney, they do not understand the rules of the game. They are not going to sit down with their bundy and coke at the local league club and watch GWS because Falou is playing. They will see his first game out of interest, then laugh and make jokes about how stupid he looks in a game he can not, and never will, understand. He is %100 certain to fail as a player, therefore all the publicity surrounding him will be negative once he starts playing. He will definitely pull more viewers, but all they will see is a circus.
He?s signing will do more damage than good once he starts playing.

Kar Michael Hunt could have played in the under 16?s this year and still looked like the lost soul that he did.

So don?t draw me in to a comparison from a million years ago over a skilled rugby, who might have been signed for similar reasons, but had a chance of succeeding though his efforts on the field, and Isreal Folou.
Similar but incomparable.

Adelaide Swan
6th September 2010, 02:35 PM
I think we all know where AR stands in Sydney.

So rl keeps telling us . Yet NRL is poorly represented and soccer dominates participation .

Yes and that is exactly why we need a second team .

It rates well , because there is nothing else to watch , they aren't excited enough to go to a rl game and all their kids play soccer . AR actually outgrew rl in WS over the last three years .

I converted a family of rl followers to AR supporters just by taking one person to a Swans game .
We're nominally Roosters followers (follow the the results) yet the whole family attends Swans games regularly or irregularly .

So are you criticising soccer as well ? What are the ratings like for the AL ?

FFS - we are NOT trying to poach rl fans .
It would be damn stupid to poach any die hard fans of any sport .
Any sport has to grow it's own market and what the AFL is doing is giving (mostly young) people the option of another sport - and it's working .

Maybe try telling Kevin Sheedy that then.

Do you remember his drivel about a third AFL team in Rabbitohs territory.

What we(Swans) have done well is that we haven't tried to muscle it's way into Sydney.

We've always worked well and co-operated with the NRL clubs.

Kevin Sheedy and his cronies haven't done anything to co-operate with the NRL clubs in their area.

All the Folau signing has done has pissed off NRL fans in that area.

Coupled with the fact Sheedy claimed he had never heard of Nathan Hindmarsh.

Should do his research in his own market tbh.

Adelaide Swan
6th September 2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks Kevin.

I thought that as well.

He could be a morphed version of Demetriou and Sheedy :p

ShortHalfHead
6th September 2010, 02:44 PM
What are you dribbling on about? Why would I research rugby league? Your response has nothing to do with what I said so you?ve lost me I?m afraid.
I don?t follow rugby but I?d be pretty confident without researching, that this Dally Messenger bloke would have most likely gone on to be a highly skilled player in his adopted code.
Presuming they will play him at FF, I would be surprised if Falou ever kicks more that a single goal in an AFL match. Let alone hold a regular spot for his contracted 4 years. It will be embarrassing to watch for him, his club, and the code.
The signing of Falou is just stupid.

For the targeted non-AFL fans in west Sydney, they do not understand the rules of the game. They are not going to sit down with their bundy and coke at the local league club and watch GWS because Falou is playing. They will see his first game out of interest, then laugh and make jokes about how stupid he looks in a game he can not, and never will, understand. He is %100 certain to fail as a player, therefore all the publicity surrounding him will be negative once he starts playing. He will definitely pull more viewers, but all they will see is a circus.
He?s signing will do more damage than good once he starts playing.

Kar Michael Hunt could have played in the under 16?s this year and still looked like the lost soul that he did.

So don?t draw me in to a comparison from a million years ago over a skilled rugby, who might have been signed for similar reasons, but had a chance of succeeding though his efforts on the field, and Isreal Folou.
Similar but incomparable.

If Lewis Roberts Hypenated can transform from rugby to AFL, anyone can

beameup
6th September 2010, 03:23 PM
I guess I started this argument and it seems like a few Swans fans are convinced the whole concept is flawed, will not work and should be abandoned. Maybe if the Swans had challenged a few of the NRL myths that Sydney AFL fans are restricted to the north and east of city they may have built a biger fan base.

Not everyone in the west supports NRL and if you looked at the fact that there are over 2 million people of which about 75,000 attend NRL matches on a good weekend I think it can be seen that there is room for movement. Soccer is dying yet another death except in juniors and AFL fits naturally ib the gap between league and soccer. GWS will be a success but not overnight.

Ken Oath
6th September 2010, 03:34 PM

True

Junior
6th September 2010, 04:24 PM

I would question whether he has...

Adelaide Swan
6th September 2010, 04:33 PM
I guess I started this argument and it seems like a few Swans fans are convinced the whole concept is flawed, will not work and should be abandoned. Maybe if the Swans had challenged a few of the NRL myths that Sydney AFL fans are restricted to the north and east of city they may have built a biger fan base.

Not everyone in the west supports NRL and if you looked at the fact that there are over 2 million people of which about 75,000 attend NRL matches on a good weekend I think it can be seen that there is room for movement. Soccer is dying yet another death except in juniors and AFL fits naturally ib the gap between league and soccer. GWS will be a success but not overnight.

I think rugby union fits into the equation somewhere.

The Hills District in particular is a very strong rugby area and a major pulling area for the Eastwood club and the amount of private schools where rugby is king in the area as well.

The elephant in the room that everyone fails to see is rugby union.

cos789
6th September 2010, 04:51 PM
What we(Swans) have done well is that we haven't tried to muscle it's way into Sydney.

We've always worked well and co-operated with the NRL clubs.

And this has resulted in what ? Absolutely nothing .

Kevin Sheedy and his cronies haven't done anything to co-operate with the NRL clubs in their area.

And this has resulted in what ?
rl fans who wouldn't have come to an AFL game still wont come .

Of all the people I have "coverted" non were rl supporters they were just rl followers .
The GWS region is grossly undersupported and that is were the opportunity lies .

unconfuseme
7th September 2010, 03:13 AM
Can't compare Israel with LRT - LRT was All Australian AFL u15's Schoolboys, so calling him a "rugby convert" as the media loves to do is rubbish.

However, I think Israel is a size and has physical attributes similar to one Mike Pyke, and has played a similar role in league as Pyke did in union. Israel is probaly a superior athlete, and if he has the same dedication, you would have to think he could easily fill a similar role.

If not, GWS and AFL got $10mill worth of media coverage very cheap!

Adelaide Swan
7th September 2010, 09:10 AM
Can't compare Israel with LRT - LRT was All Australian AFL u15's Schoolboys, so calling him a "rugby convert" as the media loves to do is rubbish.

However, I think Israel is a size and has physical attributes similar to one Mike Pyke, and has played a similar role in league as Pyke did in union. Israel is probaly a superior athlete, and if he has the same dedication, you would have to think he could easily fill a similar role.

The thing that GWS sympathisers keep on banging on about that @@@@s me is that keep banging on about giving players who aren't playing league another game to play.

The thing worth noting here is that GWS seems to be target the Hills District and Concord areas.

I can tell you right now that is not a league territory but a strong union territory.

The Eastwood club gets a lot of it's support and juniors from the Hills.

It has rugby(union for our Victorian members) fans extremely pissed off.

They are built a new stadium for the team around the corner from ANZ Stadium. I must question whether this is neccessary, as ANZ Stadium was designed for thegame, what's the point of having it as a circular stadium if they have their own stadium 400 metres away.

Seems a waste of tax payers $$$.

Coupled with the fact they are also hijacking the Sydney Showground at Homebush as well.

The thing that has rugby fans pissed off is that GWS seems to be hellbent on trampling their game into the ground while gaining free publicity from the NRL.

Big Al
7th September 2010, 09:22 AM
Coupled with the fact they are also hijacking the Sydney Showground at Homebush as well.

I don't understand this. How are they hijacking the Showground? I'm an RAS member and the upgrade to the showground is great news for us. If we are to have a second team it make sense to play some games at a 25,000 seat stadium instead of the cavernous ANZ stadium so the upgrade is a win-win for all the stakeholders.

Adelaide Swan
7th September 2010, 09:31 AM
I don't understand this. How are they hijacking the Showground? I'm an RAS member and the upgrade to the showground is great news for us. If we are to have a second team it make sense to play some games at a 25,000 seat stadium instead of the cavernous ANZ stadium so the upgrade is a win-win for all the stakeholders.

Doesn't GWS already have Blacktown Olympic Park as their home ground though?

It seems like a massive waste to taxpayer dollars to upgrade the Showground when they could've given BOS a 30K capacity in the first place.

AnnieH
7th September 2010, 09:35 AM

It seems like a massive waste to taxpayer dollars to upgrade the Showground when they could've given BOS a 30K capacity in the first place.

I think Blacktown is their training ground - and the showground on game day.
I could be wrong (but I'll never admit it!!).

Grady1993
7th September 2010, 09:46 AM
To all those people saying LRT/Kieran Jack can do it Folau can too, that's 100% not true. Everytime I hear anything about Kieran Jack especially those clowns in Victoria, they think the Swans took Jack straight from RL. He was paying for Pennant Hills since he was 14!!!! he is not an instant convert from League straight to playing for Sydney he went through the junior ranks just like LRT and every other playing going around (with the exceptons of Pyke, Kennely etc)

cos789
7th September 2010, 10:19 AM
If you researched rugby league history, rugby league only got off the ground because Dally Messenger widely acknowledged as the best player in rugby union at the time, decided to back the new league giving it an instant credibility to the sport.

And DM originally played AR . The irony !

cos789
7th September 2010, 10:23 AM

BOS is their training ground .

All to do with the politics of the wc . ""They" wanted to upgrade BOS as a rectangular stadium thus strangling AR just like they built SFS right next door to the SCG .

Ken Oath
7th September 2010, 10:29 AM

But there's one huge difference which is why it can't work. Pyke, or even Kennelly, or any convert over 18, have had years to convert, without pressure, without media glare, and none of them have the profile and circus surrounding them that Falou does.

Falou would need years to break in to any other team. But such is the hype surrounding him, which is the only reason they bought him in the first place, means he HAS to play from game one. HAS to.
If not, then he has to play within the first 2 months, or else what was the point of buying him? It's a double edged swored this one, they will have to play him and he will be terrible. Will end up in the 2's where he'll still be rubbish and the whole concept of bringing him to AFL will be laughed at by the very people he's supposed to win over.

cos789
7th September 2010, 11:53 AM
But there's one huge difference which is why it can't work. Pyke, or even Kennelly, or any convert over 18, have had years to convert, without pressure, without media glare.

"years" - not really .

none of them have the profile and circus surrounding them that Falou does.

So is he still in the media spotlight ?

Ken Oath
7th September 2010, 03:54 PM
Are you serious? Of course it takes years.

I would compare Falou to O'hAilpin at Carlton.
Both were young superstars in their respective sports before crossing to AFL.

O'hAilpin is still struggling to get a game at Carlton 5 years on. At least Carlton don't feel oblidged to play him if they don't think he's up to it.

And as for where's the hype, we've been discussing him in this thread...

cos789
7th September 2010, 05:33 PM
I would compare Falou to O'hAilpin at Carlton.

Wouldn't Michael Pyke be a better example . RU per rl ?
Falou is a professional Vs amatuers .

And as for where's the hype, we've been discussing him in this thread...

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLL yeah - lot of pressure there .

Ken Oath
7th September 2010, 06:20 PM
Wouldn't Michael Pyke be a better example . RU per rl ?
Falou is a professional Vs amatuers .

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLL yeah - lot of pressure there .

No o'hAilpin would be a closer comparison to Falou's situation than Pyke. Both won premierships in their respective codes before crossing. Professional vs amatures has absolutely nothing to do with understanding the game, learning the skills, especially when they're 20, and in this situation I would argue the professional has the bigger mountain to climb by trimming weight. And Pyke, took 2 years to break in to firsts, which was extraordinary, so yes I stand my my "years" comment.

As for the hype, I'm not getting in to an aruement with you if you telling me there's no hype around Falou, when that's the whole reason he was signed. Everytime GWS is mentioned he's the first player to get mentioned cos he's they're only known player. And this thread had Gws written in it's title somewhere I'm sure.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL look I'm laughing really really hard too.

cos789
7th September 2010, 06:28 PM
I'm not getting in to an aruement with you if.

No , you're running away .

If you can't see comparing two rugby players is better than comparing a roundball player is fairer .
Then it absolutely pointless debating further .

If you can't see that all the media has died down for Foloau
then it's absolutely pointless debating further .

Heavs
7th September 2010, 07:52 PM
No , you're running away .

If you can't see comparing two rugby players is better than comparing a roundball player is fairer .
Then it absolutely pointless debating further .

If you can't see that all the media has died down for Foloau
then it's absolutely pointless debating further .

O'Hailpin was a hurler. Much harder transition than a gaelic convert.

unconfuseme
7th September 2010, 11:31 PM
the fact that this nothing thread goes on for 7 pages proves that Israel is the signing of the century, and probably will prove better value if he fails and returns to the NRL, as he has already signalled is his intention ... media frenzy = priceless!

... btw, I despise GWS, but you have to acknowledge an AFL marketing coup, which was all that this was ever intended to be!

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 10:00 AM
the fact that this nothing thread goes on for 7 pages proves that Israel is the signing of the century, and probably will prove better value if he fails and returns to the NRL, as he has already signalled is his intention ... media frenzy = priceless!

... btw, I despise GWS, but you have to acknowledge an AFL marketing coup, which was all that this was ever intended to be!

It might be the cynic in me but I have felt this push for a second Sydney team came when Bob Davis babbled on about not having South Melbourne waiting another 72 years to win a premiership on that magical day in September 2005.

I remember the absolute crap from fans who then basically said they wanted a Sydney team of their own and basically said we were still South Melbourne.

Even now some wankers still think we are trading as South Melbourne Football Club but based in Sydney.

Grady1993
8th September 2010, 11:41 AM
It might be the cynic in me but I have felt this push for a second Sydney team came when Bob Davis babbled on about not having South Melbourne waiting another 72 years to win a premiership on that magical day in September 2005.

I remember the absolute crap from fans who then basically said they wanted a Sydney team of their own and basically said we were still South Melbourne.

Even now some wankers still think we are trading as South Melbourne Football Club but based in Sydney.

Well when Roosey gave his little speech after the game he said something along the lines of "For all you fans out there who have waited 72 years for the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans to win the premiership, here it is!" Thats what the swans are South melbourne/Sydney Swans. They won the flag in 05 as the Sydney Swans but there heritage is South Melbourne.

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 11:55 AM
Well when Roosey gave his little speech after the game he said something along the lines of "For all you fans out there who have waited 72 years for the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans to win the premiership, here it is!" Thats what the swans are South melbourne/Sydney Swans. They won the flag in 05 as the Sydney Swans but there heritage is South Melbourne.

I'll never forget that speech, mate.

It was Churchillian stuff and I still get emotional every time I watch that Grand Final.

What I am saying though is after Bob Davis mentioned the South Melbourne thing, there were people writing into the Telecrap having a whinge about it the next day saying that we weren't representing Sydney but South Melbourne and they wanted their own team.

In essence, I've always thought people who were casual AFL fans here supported us but when that happened I think it pissed off quite a few of the casual fans.

That may have been the push for what we now know as the Greater Western Scum.

beameup
8th September 2010, 12:47 PM
That may have been the push for what we now know as the Greater Western Scum.[/QUOTE]

Harsh words that I suspect go back to the fact that you support a club that could not cut it in Melbourne, moved to Sydney, failed to excite most of the population nad now sees themselves under threat from direct competition.

And I actually support Swans but these sort of attitudes will create the rivalry that is needed. Keep up the superior attitude and watch Swans support base plummet. You are a legend in the mind of GWS

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 01:04 PM
Tbh, Kevin Sheedy is the reason I despise GWS.

He was the sole reason I hated Essendon for years and I've only since become to like them.

Realistically I couldn't give a @@@@ about GWS, I am a Swans man and won't be going out of my way to look at GWS.

To me they simply don't exist.

ShortHalfHead
8th September 2010, 01:32 PM
Realistically I couldn't give a @@@@ about GWS, I am a Swans man and won't be going out of my way to look at GWS.

To me they simply don't exist.

Seems you went out of your way to contribute 15 posts, your first on the Sydney AFL threads.

Now you tell us in your eyes, they don't exist?

C'mon, they are a sympathetic lot on here. Pour it out so you can commence the healing process. Life in denial is not healthy.

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 01:53 PM
Seems you went out of your way to contribute 15 posts, your first on the Sydney AFL threads.

Now you tell us in your eyes, they don't exist?

C'mon, they are a sympathetic lot on here. Pour it out so you can commence the healing process. Life in denial is not healthy.

The biggest beef I have with this GWS thing is the AFL has fully funded it themselves and fallen all over themselves to make it work.

The thing was we were almost on death's door in the early 90's and I don't remember the AFL ever doing anything to help us out of the hole we were in.

The thing worth noting is that football doesn't rate well on TV in Sydney at all.

The city's only team struggles in the ratings and has been beaten by reruns of cooking shows and old sitcoms.

What does that tell you about the Sydney market?

Tbh, the AFL should be concentrating on expanding the Swans brand and get away from the crazy perception that we are an eastern suburbs and northern Sydney club.

Most of us Sydneysiders would know we benefitted from the North Sydney Bears demise in the NRL.

Once those supporters go back to the Bears when they are readmitted as the Central Coast Bears what will that do to our supporter base taking into consideration that we will most likely lose a sizeable chunk of the west to GWS.

We stand to go back to the dark days of the early 90's where we'd be lucky to get 5000 to a SCG game.

cos789
8th September 2010, 02:16 PM
And I actually support Swans but these sort of attitudes will create the rivalry that is needed. Keep up the superior attitude and watch Swans support base plummet.

The Dockers were born out of a reaction to the WCE's first premiership .

DLH
8th September 2010, 02:50 PM
The biggest beef I have with this GWS thing is the AFL has fully funded it themselves and fallen all over themselves to make it work.

The thing was we were almost on death's door in the early 90's and I don't remember the AFL ever doing anything to help us out of the hole we were in.

The thing worth noting is that football doesn't rate well on TV in Sydney at all.

The city's only team struggles in the ratings and has been beaten by reruns of cooking shows and old sitcoms.

What does that tell you about the Sydney market?

Tbh, the AFL should be concentrating on expanding the Swans brand and get away from the crazy perception that we are an eastern suburbs and northern Sydney club.

Most of us Sydneysiders would know we benefitted from the North Sydney Bears demise in the NRL.

Once those supporters go back to the Bears when they are readmitted as the Central Coast Bears what will that do to our supporter base taking into consideration that we will most likely lose a sizeable chunk of the west to GWS.

We stand to go back to the dark days of the early 90's where we'd be lucky to get 5000 to a SCG game.

Frankly, you sound like a Rugby League troll masquerading as a Swans fan judging by your rhetoric.

Greater Western Scum :rolleyes:

Pretty sad that some people seem willing to put their blinkered support of the Swans in front of the growth of the game in Sydney, given the crap that the Australian game continues to cop in the biased Sydney media, surely we should be sticking together.

I certainly don't support the Swans, but I always hope they do well as they directly reflect interest for the AFL in this city (as hard as it is sometimes given some of the absolute flogs who support them). Nor will GWS ever become my number one team, but I'll certainly be buying a membership and heading to games to support the concept given that I live in the west and love our great game.

ShortHalfHead
8th September 2010, 03:03 PM
The fact that Sydney gets a game every week has got to be a good thing. I don't follow the Swans either, but get to a fair few of their games during the season. Surely there are diehards out there who won't follow either, but will jump at the chance of seeing a game of AFL every week (Provided it doesn't clash with a Penrith game, that is :D)

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 03:33 PM
Frankly, you sound like a Rugby League troll masquerading as a Swans fan judging by your rhetoric.

Greater Western Scum :rolleyes:

Pretty sad that some people seem willing to put their blinkered support of the Swans in front of the growth of the game in Sydney, given the crap that the Australian game continues to cop in the biased Sydney media, surely we should be sticking together.

I certainly don't support the Swans, but I always hope they do well as they directly reflect interest for the AFL in this city (as hard as it is sometimes given some of the absolute flogs who support them). Nor will GWS ever become my number one team, but I'll certainly be buying a membership and heading to games to support the concept given that I live in the west and love our great game.

Rugby League troll, keep dreaming.

I follow BOTH codes.

I am definitely no troll, I just concerned about the future of the Swans.

I am not the only one on here who has expressed concern about the impact they'll have on the Swans.

Does that make them league trolls?

Get your head out of your arse.

DLH
8th September 2010, 03:37 PM
Rugby League troll, keep dreaming.

I follow BOTH codes.

I am definitely no troll, I just concerned about the future of the Swans.

I am not the only one on here who has expressed concern about the impact they'll have on the Swans.

Does that make them league trolls?

Get your head out of your arse.

I wouldn't have thought calling the new club "Greater Western Scum" was entirely commensurate with just "expressing concern", but anyway.

Go @#$% yourself champ.

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't have thought calling the new club "Greater Western Scum" was entirely commensurate with just "expressing concern", but anyway.

Go @#$% yourself champ.

Says a lot about your mentality reverting to foul language.

I never once insulted you at all.

The only thing I suggested is to get your head out of your behind.

DLH
8th September 2010, 03:49 PM
Says a lot about your mentality reverting to foul language.

I never once insulted you at all.

The only thing I suggested is to get your head out of your behind.

The hypocracy of that statement is truly astounding.

Why don't you toddle off back to the Swans board and crap on with all your mates about how that hack Kirk is about to play his last game.

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 03:54 PM
The hypocracy of that statement is truly astounding.

Why don't you toddle off back to the Swans board and crap on with all your mates about how that hack Kirk is about to play his last game.

What are you doing on a Swans site if you're here to bag us?

You aren't a Collingwood supporter are you?

That may explain your foul mouth.

DLH
8th September 2010, 04:02 PM
What are you doing on a Swans site if you're here to bag us?

You aren't a Collingwood supporter are you?

That may explain your foul mouth.

To post on the Sydney AFL board, no interest whatsoever in the rest of the drivel.

You aren't a Swans supporter are you?

That may explain why you're a complete flog.

Ah yes, so you are!

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 04:05 PM
To post on the Sydney AFL board, no interest whatsoever in the rest of the drivel.

You aren't a Swans supporter are you?

That may explain why you're a complete flog.

Ah yes, so you are!

One question remains.

Why do you bother coming on a Swans site if you hate us so much?

Seems a rather pointless exercise.

I hate Collingwood so I'd never venture on a Pies forum.

To answer your question, yes I am a Swans fan that is why I am a member of this forum.

DLH
8th September 2010, 04:08 PM
One question remains.

Why do you bother coming on a Swans site if you hate us so much?

Seems a rather pointless exercise.

I hate Collingwood so I'd never venture on a Pies forum.

Oh dear, you mean the question I just answered?

Let me spell it out for you again, to post on the Sydney AFL board.

I wouldn't go on a Collingwood forum either, you'd catch something for sure.

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 04:13 PM
Oh dear, you mean the question I just answered?

Let me spell it out for you again, to post on the Sydney AFL board.

I wouldn't go on a Collingwood forum either, you'd catch something for sure.

Judging by your earlier post about Brett Kirk, seems to me you may be a Footscray fan.

I have a real soft spot for the Dogs too ;)

DLH
8th September 2010, 04:17 PM
Judging by your earlier post about Brett Kirk, seems to me you may be a Footscray fan.

I have a real soft spot for the Dogs too ;)

Nup.

You'll get there eventually :D

Ken Oath
8th September 2010, 04:19 PM
Anyone looking forward to the Sydney AFL finals tis weekend?

tara
8th September 2010, 04:20 PM
Yep and hopefully the piss up afterwards.

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 04:21 PM
Nup.

You'll get there eventually :D

Anyway, I really don't know why we're arguing tbh.

We're both football fans with different opinions.

All I want is for the Swans to continue to expand the club's brand and to continue to succeed.

I just believe that there isn't room for two Sydney clubs.

Just my opinion.

Ken Oath
8th September 2010, 04:31 PM
Ah good to hear. I'll presume Moorebank Sporties will be a sausage fest Saturday night so I might avoid it.

tara
8th September 2010, 04:39 PM
Ah good to hear. I'll presume Moorebank Sporties will be a sausage fest Saturday night so I might avoid it.

At this stage we are having dinner there but probably party or drown our sorrows on at the club rooms so we dont get into too much trouble - So dont bet on any horses on Sunday, the dance of the flaming a*******'s may traumatise them.

cos789
8th September 2010, 04:42 PM
All I want is for the Swans to continue to expand the club's brand and to continue to succeed.

With AFL in Sydney every week as against every fortnight , greater media attention ,the creation of derbies the introduction of a second AFL side is meant to strengthen the Swans .

I just believe that there isn't room for two Sydney clubs.

There isn't .That's why it looks like the Swans will command Sydney and the GWS Western Sydney .
With the turnouts at Homebush I don't think the Swans will lose any supporters at all .

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 04:47 PM
With AFL in Sydney every week as against every fortnight , greater media attention ,the creation of derbies the introduction of a second AFL side is meant to strengthen the Swans .

There isn't .That's why it looks like the Swans will command Sydney and the GWS Western Sydney .
With the turnouts at Homebush I don't think the Swans will lose any supporters at all .

Fair enough, but I have vivid memories of North Melbourne trying the same thing in 1999 and failed miserably.

All I ask for is that our supporter base isn't compromised and then I don't have any issues at all.

I didn't realise they brought GWS in to strengthen us, if that's the case then GWS may be a good thing then.

cos789
8th September 2010, 04:56 PM

I would hope so . The AFL have learnt from earlier history .

Exactly the reason for trying to change that situation .

I know they went to the North Shore Bears in numbers but I don't remember seeing a single jumper at the Swans .

ShortHalfHead
8th September 2010, 05:11 PM
At this stage we are having dinner there but probably party or drown our sorrows on at the club rooms so we dont get into too much trouble - So dont bet on any horses on Sunday, the dance of the flaming a*******'s may traumatise them.

You will be celebrating with a flag, Tara. Just not sure what it will have written on it :)

Hopefully we are one apiece going into the third game on Saturday.

Had a Pakistani fella ring me the other day. Said he would give me $4.50 about Moorebank winning div 3. I thought you were $1.25 pops. What's going on?

cos789
8th September 2010, 05:23 PM
Fair enough, but I have vivid memories of North Melbourne trying the same thing in 1999 and failed miserably.

North Melbourne specifically said they weren't moving to Sydney ..... or Canberra .... or the Gold Coast ...... or Tasmania .

All I ask for is that our supporter base isn't compromised and then I don't have any issues at all.

Well since the Swans don't seem to have too many WS supporters that doesn't seem to be a problem .

I didn't realise they brought GWS in to strengthen us, if that's the case then GWS may be a good thing then.

The AFL which is the member clubs have introduced two new clubs for the betterment of the AFL which is the member clubs .

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 05:29 PM
North Melbourne specifically said they weren't moving to Sydney ..... or Canberra .... or the Gold Coast ...... or Tasmania .

Well since the Swans don't seem to have too many WS supporters that doesn't seem to be a problem .

The AFL which is the member clubs have introduced two new clubs for the betterment of the AFL which is the member clubs .

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the notion we don't have too many WS supporters.

I've been to ANZ Stadium for games for about four years now and always see a healthy amount of WS supporters in Swans colours.

It would've been better for the game had they got those WS supporters to become Swans fans.

It's not always a good thing to split your city's support base.

If anything, GWS may well become Sydney's answer to Port Adelaide.

We'll still have the vast majority of Sydney's AFL fanbase whereas GWS will have a smaller fanbase.

Ken Oath
8th September 2010, 05:41 PM
I've been to ANZ Stadium for games for about four years now and always see a healthy amount of WS supporters in Swans colours.

It would've been better for the game had they got those WS supporters to become Swans fans.

how do you know they were from Western Sydney? Were they drinking beers instead of eating prawn sandwiches?

Adelaide Swan
8th September 2010, 06:05 PM
how do you know they were from Western Sydney? Were they drinking beers instead of eating prawn sandwiches?

Unless there was a mirage of Swans fans going to the Hills via bus then yes they were Western Sydney.

Ken Oath
8th September 2010, 06:21 PM
Unless there was a mirage of Swans fans going to the Hills via bus then yes they were Western Sydney.

I was just curious that you mentioned ANZ stadium in particular that's all.

cos789
8th September 2010, 06:59 PM

So you are saying the GWS will become the most successful club in Australian Football history ?

Adelaide Swan
9th September 2010, 08:54 AM
So you are saying the GWS will become the most successful club in Australian Football history ?

We're talking about the AFL right?

I thought I was referring to the Power.

I have worked with a lot of South Australians and they all told me that most of Adelaide supports the Crows.

The lions share of the South Australia supporter base rests with the Crows.

If you look at Football Park crowds over the years, you hardly see the Power fill out the stadium even when they're performing well on the field yet when the Crows are in the top echelon, AAMI Stadium is always packed.

Hawknik
9th September 2010, 10:10 AM

Geez, you don't check the Sydney AFL forum for a few days and things take off!!!

I would suggest that Port Adelaide are a "successful" club that shows they can survive, being an educated football supproter that you seem to be, for you to compare them makes that point...

It is quite simple:
The city is big enough for 2 teams - the step is to convert supporters to it.
There are 22 clubs playing Senior footy with 54 teams running around - something to build on.
The AFL has to invest in new areas - as do the rugby league in states other than NSW, and A-League in setting up their franhcises. They may not necessarily run smoothly or to a profit to start with but they do once secure in the region.

To complain the Swans were not supported back then is true somewhat, but the money in the game is in a different ballpark now totally. Did the Swans not receive salary cap concessions until 2006 and still receive a cost-of-living allowance, which the aim was to prevent the "go-home" of players to traditional AFL states? Maybe it could be questioned if this is worthwhile using your logic of AFL support being unfair as Lenny Hayes etc could return home then...

I don't support Swans, nor will I support GWS, but always hope Swans win when my team is not playing them, hence will follow them both in the same manner.

[QUOTE=King Roosy;507607]
Says a lot about your mentality reverting to foul language. I never once insulted you at all. The only thing I suggested is to get your head out of your behind.

I think you did when you told him to pull his head out of his ar$e, then changed your tone one post later... Make your bed, lie in mate.

Grady1993
9th September 2010, 10:30 AM
The sole difference between GWS and Port, Gold Coast is they have had a club there for years already. I have a photo from 1913 where Port won the Premiership, Gold had been playing in the TAC cup for several years they already had an AFL approved ground and had been a top quality team in the QAFL etc

In short, these teams had already built up a supporter base and were ready for the AFL GWS was something that was created IMO like so "oh we'll have 17 teams now uh better create another one, lets say GWS that sounds good."

cos789
9th September 2010, 12:12 PM
I thought I was referring to ...

Port Adelaide - the most successful football club in Australian history .

Surely your SA friends told you that .
The Power's situation today stems directly from that .
Hardly a good analogy .

Rafters
9th September 2010, 12:15 PM
Had a Pakistani fella ring me the other day. Said he would give me $4.50 about Moorebank winning div 3. I thought you were $1.25 pops. What's going on?

I had a pakistani bloke ring me too ... except the odds wasn't on the final outcome but if the first scoring option in the Div 3 GF was going to be a deliberate rushed behind ... apparently BIG money on it happening and odds are falling ... a big sting on the way perhaps??
:D

Adelaide Swan
9th September 2010, 12:16 PM
Port Adelaide - the most successful football club in Australian history .

Surely your SA friends told you that .
The Power's situation today stems directly from that .
Hardly a good analogy .

I am referring to the AFL, mate.

I wasn't referring to SANFL.

If I wanted to talk about second tier comps I could also say the Redcliffe Dolphins are one of the most successful clubs in Australian rugby league history.

Virtually all of the SA people I know hate Port, they all support the Crows.

beameup
9th September 2010, 02:22 PM
I am referring to the AFL, mate.

I wasn't referring to SANFL.

If I wanted to talk about second tier comps I could also say the Redcliffe Dolphins are one of the most successful clubs in Australian rugby league history.

The reason they hate Port is because they are basically one and the same with the SANFL club which everyone hates because they have been so dominatingly successful for a log time. South Australians are unable to separate the two. If you look at the history of Adelaide and Port entry into AFL it becomes self explanatory. They are even trying to share admin costs this year.
Adelaide basically has the support of eveyone who is not a Port supporter in the SANFL.

Just as a comment you would be one of the most successful changers of topic and continue to cause S#@t I have come across. Well done and congratulations

AnnieH
9th September 2010, 02:46 PM
Just as a comment you would be one of the most successful changers of topic and continue to cause S#@t I have come across. Well done and congratulations

Hey ... that's my crown!!!

Adelaide Swan
9th September 2010, 02:58 PM
Hey ... that's my crown!!!

You're more than welcome to keep it, Annie :p

I'm going to stay clear of the GWS section in future and concentrate on the mighty Swannies.

AnnieH
9th September 2010, 03:01 PM
You're more than welcome to keep it, Annie :p

I'm going to stay clear of the GWS section in future and concentrate on the mighty Swannies.

Good one.
Take your ball and go home.
Now who's gunna play?

cos789
9th September 2010, 09:28 PM
I am referring to the AFL,

And so was I , as you have now learnt the Power's present position stems from it's SANFL history , a poor analogy .

As you have now learnt because Port Adelaide is acknowledged as the most successful football club in Australian history .

cos789
9th September 2010, 09:46 PM
In short, these teams had already built up a supporter base and were ready for the AFL GWS was something that was created IMO like so "oh we'll have 17 teams now uh better create another one, lets say GWS that sounds good."

Not really . The AFL could have more easily brought in a Tasmanian team and have been criticised for not doing so .
In essence the AFL has said that there is a geographical region with 2.8 million people not represented by an AFL team .
It's a ballsy move and you'd hope that the AFL has done it's homework before it spends a load of money .
There are some good signs like the gross number of new participants for AR in Sydney outnumbered those for rl
over the last three years according to ERASS .

AnnieH
14th September 2010, 03:49 PM
Just heard on the radio that Centrebet is taking bets on Falou winning mark of the year ... 2012.

Are they serious?

You've gotta love silly season.

Dunger
14th September 2010, 04:20 PM
Just heard on the radio that Centrebet is taking bets on Falou winning mark of the year ... 2012.

Are they serious?

You've gotta love silly season.

The first two grabs in the youtube vid are terrible. He's got no chance. He'll be out marked and outclassed in the VFL.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fnqo0ypxgnY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fnqo0ypxgnY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

AnnieH
14th September 2010, 05:22 PM
The first two grabs in the youtube vid are terrible. He's got no chance. He'll be out marked and outclassed in the VFL.

In the VFL???
Our local under 18's will be better than him.