PDA

View Full Version : Shaw - no shank but redemption

Go Swannies
12th September 2010, 12:35 AM
There's praise for Kennedy and that's well deserved. But I also thought that Shaw should be listed as one of our best tonight. Made some great runs and read the play well.

Jetstar seems settled into the team now with some good finals experience behind him too. Who would expect him to kick better for goal than Bradshaw, when dead in front? He was sweating on it though. But he just seemed very assured elsewhere around the ground and gave good run.

Ben played well too - and the chances of him shirking a contest were overstated.

CJK
12th September 2010, 12:38 AM
Kick goals, provided lots of run, beat his man, looks like an extra from Planet of the Apes (obv a fav of mine).

What else do you want?

aardvark
12th September 2010, 12:40 AM
Jetstar seems settled into the team now with some good finals experience behind him too. Who would expect him to kick better for goal than Bradshaw, when dead in front? He was sweating on it though. But he just seemed very assured elsewhere around the ground and gave good run..

The thing that impressed me was a few contested possessions in the last quarter. First time iv'e seen him get the ball in the pack, he really had a crack.

SimonH
12th September 2010, 12:52 AM
Too often, he's lazy off the ball and likes doing the spectacular things but not the small difficult things that go unnoticed. Hard to tell from the TV, but it seemed like tonight was the reverse of all that. Seemed to both attack and defend with equal desperation.

There's something about imports having their first finals series for the Swans, that really inspires them to step up. See for example Ted Richards' outstanding 2006 GF.

Operating under that principle, if Mummy had been fully fit he woulda carved them up tonight (and last week as well). Shame.

Young Blood
12th September 2010, 01:07 AM
Shaw was very good tonight. He's been good ever since Roos moved him off half back.

Tooth Fairy
12th September 2010, 01:11 AM
There's praise for Kennedy and that's well deserved. But I also thought that Shaw should be listed as one of our best tonight. Made some great runs and read the play well.

Jetstar seems settled into the team now with some good finals experience behind him too. Who would expect him to kick better for goal than Bradshaw, when dead in front? He was sweating on it though. But he just seemed very assured elsewhere around the ground and gave good run.

Ben played well too - and the chances of him shirking a contest were overstated.
Oh shirking a contest!! There were a few times in there that I thought "@@@@ man ease up". What a dynamo he is

gloveski
12th September 2010, 09:55 AM
Commentators even mentioned jetstars tackling pressure last night

mcs
12th September 2010, 12:08 PM
Jetstars tackling pressure is all nice and well but he needs to spend the Summer getting tackling advice from Pyke and Mumford. Once he learns to actually tackle he will really kick on.

As for Shaw, he was excellent last night and I think he's had another pretty solid year to be honest. Certainly has looked good when he has gone forward.

gloveski
12th September 2010, 12:12 PM
Jetstars tackling pressure is all nice and well but he needs to spend the Summer getting tackling advice from Pyke and Mumford. Once he learns to actually tackle he will really kick on.

As for Shaw, he was excellent last night and I think he's had another pretty solid year to be honest. Certainly has looked good when he has gone forward.

Totally agree but atleast he was putting himself in a spot last night to lay tackles......previously he has shirked that issue. Needs a big summer in the gym to add strength to his upper body. He will never be a monster but should end up with a fosdike kind of build. But geez he's a smooth mover

Primmy
12th September 2010, 12:18 PM
This thread is about Shaw!
For a bloke who was going nowhere for the first half of the season he has turned it all around because of the belief the coaches had in him and the trust of his team. It was no "workman like" performance the last half of the season. The look on his face after kicking goals was like watching a switch being thrown. It meant a lot. I can say it quite comfortably - I am very proud of him.

dimelb
12th September 2010, 01:02 PM
Shaw was very good tonight. He's been good ever since Roos moved him off half back.
Got that right. He's a valuable player, the more so because of his newfound versatility.

Bazman
12th September 2010, 05:36 PM
I thought Reece did really well tonight, great mark couple of nice goals.

Bleed Red Blood
12th September 2010, 08:56 PM
Gives away some bad frees, ill timed as well as dumb.

Triple B
12th September 2010, 09:54 PM
Gives away some bad frees, ill timed as well as dumb.

He should have got one last night when Hall dragged him down by the collar allowing Giansiracusa to run into an open goal. Shocking non-decision.

But agree, his push in Gia's back after he had already dropped the mark was frustrating.

goswannie14
12th September 2010, 10:39 PM
He should have got one last night when Hall dragged him down by the collar allowing Giansiracusa to run into an open goal. Shocking non-decision.

But agree, his push in Gia's back after he had already dropped the mark was frustrating.In his defence, from behind it would have looked like the mark had been taken, as such, the push wouls not have made any difference. I thought he was one of our best last night, tried his guts out.

Funniest moment was when he went for a mark, it went over his head and Bradshaw marked it, the look on Shaw's face until he realised that it was a team mate who had marked it was priceless!

hot potato
12th September 2010, 11:49 PM
He calms me down these days because of his energy and instinct to do good things. Knows where those big sticks are when he's playing forward.
hp

Dalai Lama
13th September 2010, 09:10 AM
the Rhesus monkey could well be still on the back!

Jewels
13th September 2010, 11:48 AM
Was he listed in the best anywhere? He certainly wasn't in the list on the Swans website which I found really strange as the likes of Kennelly and Mattner were. I thought Rhyce was our best after Kennedy.

dimelb
13th September 2010, 01:04 PM
Was he listed in the best anywhere? He certainly wasn't in the list on the Swans website which I found really strange as the likes of Kennelly and Mattner were. I thought Rhyce was our best after Kennedy.
Got a mention in my TLM.

rojo
13th September 2010, 01:07 PM
I'd like to say 'well done' to Rhys too. With Kennelly's return he lost his position of last year and had an injury over the preseason. All credit to him to adapt so well to being played all over the place in recent weeks. Sure he has a few brain fades but his enthusiasm, endeavour and pizzaz more than make up for them. His contributions on Saturday were really important.

BTW Goodsey scored a 9 in the AFL player ratings for the game, same as Kennedy, making them the Swans 2 best players. I think some swans supporters are unfairly critical of Adam, expecting him to be superhero 100% of the time, all round the ground, and when he only delivers 75-80% of the time heap a ton of criticism on him. His contribution to the Sydney Swans is unquestionably equal to that of Brett Kirk and Paul Kelly and arguably greater. He is now 30 years old and still a star.