PDA

View Full Version : Northern Division suggestion from AFL

No Idea
11th October 2010, 08:43 PM
I read the below article in the NT News. I didn't know how to make it a link so I am sorry about the length. What clubs from Sydney AFL would be apart of it.

Link - NT News (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/10/03/183801_ntsport.html)

TERRITORY Thunder has thrown its full support behind the proposed North Eastern States League to commence next season.

The exact format is still under negotiation but as the Northern Territory News reported in March, the most likely scenario is two separate conferences, one northern and one southern, with scheduled cross-over matches during the 20-week season.

The northern conference stays as the QAFL but adds the Gold Coast Suns reserves, and the southern combines Sydney Swans reserves and Greater Western Sydney, plus teams from AFL NSW and ACT state leagues.

DLH
12th October 2010, 10:39 AM
Two teams from the Sydney AFL to join in 2012 is the current proposal as far as I know.

The competition will commence next season involving the QAFL and the ACTAFL, with about half a dozen "cross over" matches.

ShortHalfHead
12th October 2010, 12:04 PM
It's on the agenda for East Coast, as far as I know.
Maybe that's why they are again targetting 16's/18's from outside their pathway

DLH
12th October 2010, 12:32 PM

I've heard this as well, disappointing.

Interesting to know how they intend getting cases up under the appeals process......

beameup
13th October 2010, 04:06 PM

Have heard from an inside NSWAFL source, but a few weeks ago, that they were looking for some kind of rep teams for Sydney representation rather than existing clubs

-Doogs-
13th October 2010, 11:59 PM
Have heard from an inside NSWAFL source, but a few weeks ago, that they were looking for some kind of rep teams for Sydney representation rather than existing clubs

That wont work long term because there is no supporter base or roots. We saw this happen with the Hunters (Hunter Region rep side) a few years back. If they do they then that side will fail. It has to be an existing club and it makes sense that its East Coast and another club. Not sure who the other one would be. Maybe one of the Unis?

BIGSHOW
22nd October 2010, 12:06 PM
Another northern league reference on foxsports website today?

shearer
22nd October 2010, 12:10 PM
it will be Sydney Uni and ECE.

BIGSHOW
22nd October 2010, 12:33 PM
I don't know about round robin with GWS swans suns though,you would think that some kind of annoucement would be soon from the NSWAFL

beameup
22nd October 2010, 01:59 PM
If you are complaining about them poaching players now wait until this comes about

laughingnome
22nd October 2010, 02:34 PM

If it is two teams from Sydney I for one would like to see them promoted/relegated in some fashion. The winner of Premier Division should replace the lowest finishing Sydney AFL team in the Northern League, for example.

All we know for certain right now is that the league will contain the four reserve teams - Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast & GWS, plus probably the Territory Thunder and some teams from the QAFL, Sydney AFL and Canberra. I wish they would hurry up and reveal at least what their thinking so it can be discussed :s

beameup
22nd October 2010, 03:28 PM
2 divisional structure with AFL ressies teams crossing over, 4 Canberra teams not having to travel to Qld, Qld and NT teams not having to travel south, two Sydney teams and possibly a Riverina.

Promotion and relegation won't work as teams will be uncompetitive without containing the cream of Sydney footy which is why some kind of rep teams is the preferred model even if based on a Club.

The GWS model of a squad drawn from teams in their region training as a squad early in the week with the selected team training on Thursday and others back to their club would work. Each week the best team would present and only those interested would attend.
How GWS and Swans draw their top ups is their problem but probably have to nominate a list to draw from at start of season. As they generally use younger blokes it would not interfere with Sydney teams

The Student
30th October 2010, 12:02 AM

Not sure where you get that idea from - it would be nice in theory but I'm not sure where the money would come from for travel costs, player payments etc. Unless SU Sport wanted to dump six figures in every year, which they don't even do for the rugby club...

Mug Punter
30th October 2010, 01:51 PM
Not sure where you get that idea from - it would be nice in theory but I'm not sure where the money would come from for travel costs, player payments etc. Unless SU Sport wanted to dump six figures in every year, which they don't even do for the rugby club...

The reality is that it will be xhorbitantly expensive for a local team to compete with either Team GWS, Swans or the cashed up ACTAFL club (all of who are bankrolled by big clubs).

MAYBE ECE could compete but it could well be a double edged sword for a SFL Club in that league.

floppinab
1st November 2010, 06:19 PM
I think you will find that whoever goes into that comp will get a not insignificant amount of funding from the AFL to make sure they handle the additional costs

cos789
2nd November 2010, 11:49 PM
There is another angle to this as Fox is reportedly looking at funding a premier's competition .
The WAFL, SANFL , VFL and Tasmania being mentioned , but this new league would tie in well
to have truely national second tier competition .

Carn the Lions
3rd November 2010, 09:34 AM
I think you will find that whoever goes into that comp will get a not insignificant amount of funding from the AFL to make sure they handle the additional costs

Teams will be:
Brissie reserves
GWS Reserves
Gold Coast Suns Reserves
Swans Reserves
NT Thunder
2 Qafl teams (most likely southport and morningside)
2 ACT Teams (most likely Ainslie, Tugernong)
1 SAFl Team (most likely east coast)

10 team comp. Afl throw in funds to cover travelling expenses, etc and distribute even amount of funds to non afl teams for player recruitment.

Should be a good competition with great exposure. Will provide interstate teams with a healthy reserves competition and a chance for developing players from state based teams to show their stuff against the big boys

cos789
3rd November 2010, 12:01 PM
For the four AFL reserves teams and the already travelling NT costs wont be a problem .
It's just a question of underwriting some quality opposition .
You'd think the ACT is a must giving 6 teams minimum .
From that nucleus any additional teams would be a bonus considering the short timeframe .
Questions you have to think about
Do you want 2 ACT teams and decimate their league ?
SFL has the quantity . Could you extract 2 quality team from it ?
Probably the QAFL could supply 2 teams and would reduce travel overall .
Are other rep sides up to it ?

I_Heart_Abbott
5th November 2010, 12:01 PM
I am surprised Tuggeranong would be one of the two teams...?!?

Wouldn't a Belconnen or an Eastlake be a more obvious choice? Both have a gret deal more funding than a Tuggeranong who are apparently struggling. Be interested to know if this is correct 'Carn The Lions'.

Rafters
6th November 2010, 08:26 AM
It will be a big strain financially & also on current resources for the current SAFL clubs to have a competitive club in such a competition ... will need alot of external cash & management expertise to assist with the process in order to make it successful

Pekay
6th November 2010, 09:22 AM
It will be a big strain financially & also on current resources for the current SAFL clubs to have a competitive club in such a competition ... will need alot of external cash & management expertise to assist with the process in order to make it successful

Sounds like you're volunteering your management expertise mate!

Carn the Lions
8th November 2010, 09:30 AM
I am surprised Tuggeranong would be one of the two teams...?!?

Wouldn't a Belconnen or an Eastlake be a more obvious choice? Both have a gret deal more funding than a Tuggeranong who are apparently struggling. Be interested to know if this is correct 'Carn The Lions'.

Correct Abbott-Kefalas. Word on the street is that it would be Belconnen

Apologies for the garden path statement

Henry
10th November 2010, 01:00 PM
Teams will be:
Brissie reserves
GWS Reserves
Gold Coast Suns Reserves
Swans Reserves
NT Thunder
2 Qafl teams (most likely southport and morningside)
2 ACT Teams (most likely Ainslie, Tugernong)
1 SAFl Team (most likely east coast)

10 team comp. Afl throw in funds to cover travelling expenses, etc and distribute even amount of funds to non afl teams for player recruitment.

Should be a good competition with great exposure. Will provide interstate teams with a healthy reserves competition and a chance for developing players from state based teams to show their stuff against the big boys

GWS Reserves going to Canberra. What does this mean for the Northern League?

GWS to play matches in Canberra under new deal | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-to-play-matches-in-canberra-under-new-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1225950852235)

DLH
10th November 2010, 01:07 PM
GWS Reserves going to Canberra. What does this mean for the Northern League?

GWS to play matches in Canberra under new deal | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-to-play-matches-in-canberra-under-new-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1225950852235)

It means that they'll play in the Southern 'conference' (ACTAFL) with the Swans, and play some crossover games against the Northern 'conference' (Queensland) clubs, including the Suns and the Lions, during the year.