PDA

View Full Version : GWS targets Canberra

Glenn
10th November 2010, 05:36 PM
The AFL have made their biggest-ever commitment to Canberra, with new franchise Greater Western Sydney to play 30 regular-season matches in the national capital from 2012 onwards.

The ACT Government has committed $2.35 million annually towards the decade-long partnership, which will also see Manuka Oval host a pre-season match every year from 2012 when GWS enter the competition as the AFL's 18th club.

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=537463&vId=

goswannie14
10th November 2010, 05:46 PM
Isn't that just confirming what we already knew?

Glenn
10th November 2010, 05:48 PM
Was only hear say, and no reports on funding from the ACT Govt, length of the deal etc AFAIK.

dimelb
10th November 2010, 06:13 PM
Isn't that just confirming what we already knew?
I suspect so, but maybe the interesting question is whether we play them there or whether GWC games get added to ours, which would represent a significant AFL push into Canberra. If so, you'd think it would require big bucks to go into Manuka.

mcs
10th November 2010, 09:03 PM
I suspect so, but maybe the interesting question is whether we play them there or whether GWC games get added to ours, which would represent a significant AFL push into Canberra. If so, you'd think it would require big bucks to go into Manuka.

Surely we will play them in one of their games down here. I do know the intimate details of what the proposed deal is through my work down here, but it'll have to wait till its officially announced.

Sometimes
10th November 2010, 09:22 PM
My take on the situation...

TEAM ACT? (http://ajt212.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/team-act/)

laughingnome
11th November 2010, 02:52 AM
No way they'll move the Sydney v Jokers clash to Canberra. They'll bill it at ANZ and build up as much hype as they can muster for it. Rivalries sell tickets and ticket buyers become members.

4 games for the Canberrans a year again. I assume the Kangaroos did a feasability study and found the ACT too small to support them back before JB took the reins?