PDA

View Full Version : Footy Almanac & other books

ShockOfHair
1st January 2011, 10:28 PM
Having just read The Footy Almanac 2010 over the Christmas break, I thought I'd share this.

For those who haven't seen it, it's a fan-generated record of every game in the season.

The first thing that stands out is that the Almanac editors have very few Swans' fans among their friends; as best I could tell only one of the 25-odd Swans match reports was written by one of ours.

To save time, or help you crib a read in the bookshop, the best accounts of Swans games were vs North (R4), Brisbane (R6), Essendon (R11), Port (R12), Freo (R20), Bris (R22).

A special mention to Rob Clarkson, who watched Sydney down North in round 15 in the unlikely company of Tim Rogers of You Am I and Glenn Archer.

Tim Rogers pens one of his own somewhere, as does Paul Chapman?s brother, former Royboy Tim Pekin, and the odd poet, economist and accordion player alongside the predictable clutch of Dons and Pies tragics.

Finally, a shout to Tiger-loving schoolboy, Michael Allan, who covered the Swans destruction of Richmond in R3 and managed to resurrect every inaccurate AFL clich? about Sydney. ?The crowd never seemed to really care from the opening bounce.? He thinks Sydney fans boo Ben Cousins because he?s the only player they?ve heard of.

Somehow he managed to skip the liveliest part of the weekend, where Ben Cousins punched out Daniel Connors. I can tell you Mike, Sydney loved that.

Any other Xmas footy books?