PDA

View Full Version : Peter Costello's attack on AFL

Primmy
16th February 2011, 12:59 PM
If I have ever had doubts about who to vote for in the election, I have just had my mind made up for me.

Peter Costello is an embarrassement to himself, his family, and to any right minded human being. He attacked the ethos of the AFL players doing charity work. Which they do in their legions with no fanfare and no publicity and in their own time. Apparently you have to lock up your daughters when they visit hospitals and disadvantaged areas.

Wonder what he thinks of Brett Kirk. Paul Liccuria. Harry O'Brien.

Stupid stupid stupid. :mad:

Kirkari
16th February 2011, 01:14 PM
Little Pete should learn a few lessons about philanthropy from his brother Tim. What an idiot.

ScottH
16th February 2011, 01:58 PM
By his reasoning, we shouldn't trust teachers, Priests, police, or Judges, either.

Legs Akimbo
16th February 2011, 07:08 PM
I was truly disgusted. In one ill considered rant he wrote off thousands of hours of good deeds and wonderful work by AFL players. Not only that, isn't it good to ge tthe players out into the community for their benefit? It's been a real pleasure today to see pretty much every man and their dog turn on Costello and agree in unison what a base level turd he is.

Frog
17th February 2011, 02:15 AM

The picture might just give it away here, but it seems there are people that agree with him, and I am one of those, to a point.

Like with anything there are good and there are bad and the good will always suffer with the bad. Ben Cousins anyone? Kerr? Fevola? Schwarz? The entire St Kilda team?

Naturally, this splits the political divide again, and as usual, you won't find a labor voter agree with him.

Oh, and Legs, you may think he is a base level turd, I don't ... and I'm a man, and I have two dogs. So your generalisations and euphoria have just been shot to pieces. The pleasure is all mine.

Kirkari
17th February 2011, 07:27 AM

...Like with anything there are good and there are bad and the good will always suffer with the bad. Ben Cousins anyone? Kerr? Fevola? Schwarz? The entire St Kilda team?

If Peter Costello and others with a public forum put a tiny bit of effort into being fair and considered in their comments, the good don't need to suffer with the bad.

I don't even see the point of his article - he seems to just be complaining that sportsmen get too much recognition and kudos for their charitable/community oriented work. That may or may not be true, but so what? Is he saying they should stop doing these things? I'm sure the various hospitals, schools and community groups around the country will be grateful that Saint Peter has saved them from getting all that money and support from such morally bankrupt individuals. Just sounds like jealousy from a man who was so cruelly denied his own "brand recognition" at the last moment when his pal Johnny would make him PM. Get over it.

Primmy
17th February 2011, 05:49 PM
Fabulous tweet from Jared Crouch along the lines that John Howard did one good thing, preventing Costello taking over the top job. Made me laugh any old hoo.

Doctor J.
18th February 2011, 09:49 AM
I think Costello could have expressed himself a little better and unfortunately his statement or the premise of the statement is full of generalisations. But I think he is basically saying that when its all said and done footballers, with a few exceptions, are not that bright so why would you hold them out to be life skills coaches for school kids, and its not like an elite level footballer or any elite level sports person for that matter has a great deal of "real" life experiences to relate to kids that are not that much younger than themselves.

So on that basis, I agree with a lot of what he said, and being a Labor voter, Frog your generalisations have just been shot to pieces. The pleasure is all mine. :)

Mike_B
18th February 2011, 10:23 AM
AFL360 on Wed night gave this a bit of coverage and it was very interesting to see how the players responded via Twitter and the like. Costello clearly over-generalised and it hit a raw nerve amongst the vast majority of players who contribute to society in a positive way.

Frog
18th February 2011, 11:17 PM
So on that basis, I agree with a lot of what he said, and being a Labor voter, Frog your generalisations have just been shot to pieces. The pleasure is all mine. :)
Oh, I like that very much :))))

:wink:

Nico
20th February 2011, 03:54 PM
Politicians don't make good commentators outside of anything but politics, but Tony Abbott makes Costello look like a veritable Einstein or Dalai Lama.