PDA

View Full Version : Flood Hits Mac Uni

ShortHalfHead
28th February 2011, 09:06 AM
A flood of players, that is.

A month out from the start of the season and I noticed the Warriors have 71 clearances through. Only 3 leaving.

Must be doing something right.

Div 1, Div 3, Div 4, Div 5. Pretty much the same as last year only they may have two
18s sides.

Can see them in PL within 2 years.

Would be hard to find a park in the carpark. Rangers might rake in a fortune.

Untamed Snark
28th February 2011, 09:28 AM
When does the season start?
Mac is my local team

Mug Punter
28th February 2011, 09:50 AM

A month out from the start of the season and I noticed the Warriors have 71 clearances through. Only 3 leaving.

Div 1, Div 3, Div 4, Div 5. Pretty much the same as last year only they may have two
18s sides.

Pretty impressive numbers, you'd have to think this will flow through to on-field results....

Not sure about PL. It would depend to a large extent as to the level of supportthey would get from the Uni in terms of scholarships and financial backing. My understanding is that they had a real cull of clubs down there and that there are now only a relatively small number of official sporting clubs at the Uni.

Guess it depends on how ambitious the club is and how important it is for the Uni to be represented at the highest level.

Who would have thought this years ago....

Benchwarmer
28th February 2011, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=ShortHalfHead;519978]A flood of players, that is.

""A month out from the start of the season and I noticed the Warriors have 71 clearances through.""

Will keep them busy .

Norris Lurker
28th February 2011, 11:31 PM
When does the season start?
Mac is my local teamFirst weekend in April.

snow leopard
5th March 2011, 10:01 PM

18s sides.

Anybody know where the 18's are coming from??

ShortHalfHead
6th March 2011, 07:54 AM
Anybody know where the 18's are coming from??

Website says there are two teams. 28 in one and 22 in the other.. Mainly fron junior clubs it appears from clearance page, plus a few from Penno

AnnieH
6th March 2011, 09:34 AM
One of my nephs is in the under 18s. They got him from North Ryde.

Mug Punter
6th March 2011, 10:41 PM
One of my nephs is in the under 18s. They got him from North Ryde.

One would assume that given they barely managed to field a single team last year that the new U18 coach is a pretty well connected and regarded junior coach. Amazing numbers coming through to the U18 program.

I assume this means the pathway "caring and sharing" agreement with Penno is a thing of the past. Every man for themselves I reckon, if blokes want to play for this coach at Mac Uni why should Penno have a right of refusal?

Seriously if Mac Uni can really get TWO U18 teams on the field this year then it really does set them well up for the future. How long before Penno, North Shore and the like start bleating about their players being "poached" by Mac Uni if they get promoted?

Early days yet though, I still think it's a big ask for them to field two teams for the full season but full credit for them aiming high.....

snow leopard
11th March 2011, 10:07 PM
One would assume that given they barely managed to field a single team last year that the new U18 coach is a pretty well connected and regarded junior coach. Amazing numbers coming through to the U18 program.

I assume this means the pathway "caring and sharing" agreement with Penno is a thing of the past. Every man for themselves I reckon, if blokes want to play for this coach at Mac Uni why should Penno have a right of refusal?

Seriously if Mac Uni can really get TWO U18 teams on the field this year then it really does set them well up for the future. How long before Penno, North Shore and the like start bleating about their players being "poached" by Mac Uni if they get promoted?

Early days yet though, I still think it's a big ask for them to field two teams for the full season but full credit for them aiming high.....

must be more than 1 person to do all this work. From what i can see there is more than 1 junior club used for there recruitment. There website has a recruitment officer what has he provided? Good luck to them if they have the qty of recruits they seem to have. Penned in by Penno and North Shore for years maybe it's there time to expand out and make them work for the recruits coming through

ShortHalfHead
13th March 2011, 08:35 AM
Mac Uni had 28 players in 18's trial against Penrith on the weekend. Went pretty well going down by about 5 goals. Some handy players that go hard at the ball. Going on the match, I would almost expect them to be in the finals this year.
Not sure how they structured the team though and if in fact they will field two sides

Tom Wills
15th March 2011, 12:08 AM
The difference between Mac Uni and North Shore (and probably most Premier Clubs) is that they welcome average kids to the club with a smile. While clubs are like North Shore are fantastic, professional clubs, they are not neccessarily good for growing "average" footballers. From what I hear Mac Uni have developed a niche where all players, regardless of ability are welcome. For the beneft of the AFL in Sydney most, if not all, premier clubs could learn from this approach.

snow leopard
15th March 2011, 09:23 AM
The difference between Mac Uni and North Shore (and probably most Premier Clubs) is that they welcome average kids to the club with a smile. While clubs are like North Shore are fantastic, professional clubs, they are not neccessarily good for growing "average" footballers. From what I hear Mac Uni have developed a niche where all players, regardless of ability are welcome. For the beneft of the AFL in Sydney most, if not all, premier clubs could learn from this approach.

Hey SHH were Mac Uni average players? You were there your thoughts oh wise one

ShortHalfHead
15th March 2011, 11:03 AM
Hey SHH were Mac Uni average players? You were there your thoughts oh wise one

Hey Snow Leopard. Thanks for regarding me as wise. I'll take it as a compliment.

I thought they were a pretty good squad in the 18's and will do well in the Challenge Cup. I think they are finals material. The Div 4 team looked a bit below last years team as did the Div 3 side.

But I assume that quite a few were not available in the seniors and hard to get a gauge on things.

Assuming that Mac Uni has close to 80 incoming players, according to the clearance page, there should be plenty of depth in the club and many "average" players will no doubt improve.

Only saw a bit of the Div 1 Auburn game. Auburn played a good style of footy. I don't know the final result. I am expecting the Warriors to be right up the top end in Div 1 this year

Mug Punter
15th March 2011, 12:58 PM

Sydney Uni is quite similar too with their 5 senior teams. Guys that would get shunned by an elitist club like North Shore can start as a rookie in the 4ths or 5ths and be pushing for senior selection in a few years. Having said that Norths are getting a 3rd grade team up and running which is way overdue. Changing the culture may be more difficult.

There's certainly a lot of merit in getting as many active players and teams as possible. It increases the volunteer base, potential sponsorship opportunities, fundraising and is generally good for the game.