PDA

View Full Version : Depth

sharp9
13th March 2011, 08:26 AM
Seems pretty jolly good...esp when you consider the promising young players ans some experienced hands who won't get a gig round 1 - even when 4 or 5 are out injured

Meredith
Dennis-Lane
Johnston
Reid
Pyke
Sumner/Moore/Bevan/Bird (assuming one is left out for round 1)

It seems Bevo will be with us into eternity.

On a brighter note, great to see Rohan and Jetta playing such important parts this pre-season.

And to think we offered to trade BOTH of them to the tigers for Dustin Martin!

Bas
13th March 2011, 08:56 AM
Seems pretty jolly good...esp when you consider

Poor choice of word.

supersall
13th March 2011, 08:59 AM
I'd rather have the selection headache of who to not include, rather than plumbing the depths

Auntie.Gerald
13th March 2011, 11:38 AM
we have a change of the guard occurring

There is 7 or 8 senior players that under pressure every week to keep there spots in the 22...................We are fortunate to even have a Mike Pyke backing up as number 3 ruckman !

the guy is on a parabolic curve of improvement and who knows................his $ worth as is not doubt rising as well !

awesome !

Young Blood
13th March 2011, 08:15 PM
Agree, with the reservation that I recall similar comments in last year's preseason, but our depth players didn't seem that great come midseason.

unconfuseme
14th March 2011, 01:24 AM
The best thing about our depth is that we don't ever seem to be under too much salary cap pressure to keep the ones we want, unlike some of the other clubs ... none of the "experts" rate us, so other than our super stars like Goodes, our list, and particularly our borderline seniors, continue to fly under the radar ... Pyke is a classic example of how our fans and the club value our players, and most are underrated ... if he was not a "Canadian Rugby Player" in his 3rd year of football, he would be of huge interest to other clubs ... but to most of them, he is still just a "curiosity" ... the other thing that works in our favour, even though it has been considered as a negative, is that our young players are not in the spotlight of the VFL week in week out as they develop. Playing in ACT doesn't seem to stop the good ones from getting better!

ernie koala
14th March 2011, 10:02 AM
On a brighter note, great to see Rohan and Jetta playing such important parts this pre-season.

And to think we offered to trade BOTH of them to the tigers for Dustin Martin!

I, like most here, have high hopes for Rohan and Jetta...But having watched Martin carry the tigers midfield last year, in his first year, I can see why our recruiters wanted him so badly...He's a fabulous player, destined to be one of the comps elite midfielders for years to come.

Go Swannies
14th March 2011, 10:38 AM
My guess is we won't see B2, LRT, Bradshaw or Tadhg for the first few rounds, despite what they are saying (just as Bird hasn't played a senior game since he told me around July last year that he "was a week away"). So we may be testing our depth pretty soon.

And if we do play any of those four then we may be seeing how the new bench works out - like it'd be fine testing Braddy out for half a game then replace him but what do we do then if Bird is in the team and on the ground then has a foot twinge and has to come off so we are down to two on the bench? Challenging times ahead - especially when we seem to have a lot of twinges and tweaks (Rohan) before the first game of the year is even played.

liz
14th March 2011, 12:07 PM
I, like most here, have high hopes for Rohan and Jetta...But having watched Martin carry the tigers midfield last year, in his first year, I can see why our recruiters wanted him so badly...He's a fabulous player, destined to be one of the comps elite midfielders for years to come.

All hypothetical, but do you think they would be willing to trade Jetta and Rohan for Martin now? Of course, at the time, it was two anonymous picks, not Rohan and Jetta. And even though they'd have had a good idea that Rohan would be available, they probably hadn't banked on Jetta being there when that pick came along.

And of course, in the past year, we saw JPK and Hanners both emerge as consistent, quality midfielders, not to mention Jack add several new strings to his bow. I think the value of Rohan and Jetta to our side is considerably higher than Martin, notwithstanding the fact that Martin has the makings of a terrific player.

ernie koala
14th March 2011, 12:50 PM
All hypothetical, but do you think they would be willing to trade Jetta and Rohan for Martin now? Of course, at the time, it was two anonymous picks, not Rohan and Jetta. And even though they'd have had a good idea that Rohan would be available, they probably hadn't banked on Jetta being there when that pick came along.

And of course, in the past year, we saw JPK and Hanners both emerge as consistent, quality midfielders, not to mention Jack add several new strings to his bow. I think the value of Rohan and Jetta to our side is considerably higher than Martin, notwithstanding the fact that Martin has the makings of a terrific player.
I haven't suggested which is better of Rohan and Jetta V Martin, only time will tell. What I did say was that I can understand why the recruiters were so keen on Martin. His first year was fantastic and IMO, barring major injury, he'll go on to be one of the competitions elite midfielders for many years to come.....I can't say that yet about Rohan or Jetta, though the signs for both are very promising.

jono2707
14th March 2011, 04:24 PM
If Rohan turns out to be the Brendan Goddard-type player I keep comparing him to in my mind, I for one will be stoked that we got him and Jetta last year.

Auntie.Gerald
14th March 2011, 05:19 PM

Liz I reckon that Luke Parker if recruited by the Tigers may have played in his first year also................I would like to officially add Luke Parker to the depth list accumulating..... :)

Martin was very good but Hannes could be something very special in the midfield!! .............not to mention young Carroll coming along very soon also !

Auntie.Gerald
14th March 2011, 05:20 PM
If Rohan turns out to be the Brendan Goddard-type player I keep comparing him to in my mind, I for one will be stoked that we got him and Jetta last year.

Rohan still reminds of a young Kenelly but with aggression !

liz
14th March 2011, 05:28 PM
not to mention young Carroll coming along very soon also !

Who:confused:

Auntie.Gerald
14th March 2011, 06:21 PM
Who:confused:

Ha !

Mitchell it is !

EMJ
14th March 2011, 06:44 PM
LRT is maybe playing round 1 according to swans article. Bradshaw probably too I think. Kennelly is pretty close.
Craig Bolton a few weeks away at best. Longmire said all of the above four will not play Round 1 and that is a good idea.

One or two of them definitely will play I would say.

Go Swannies
14th March 2011, 07:03 PM
LRT is maybe playing round 1 according to swans article. Bradshaw probably too I think. Kennelly is pretty close.
Craig Bolton a few weeks away at best. Longmire said all of the above four will not play Round 1 and that is a good idea.

One or two of them definitely will play I would say.

The medical staff apparently don't think any of them will be ready to play four quarters. That will make selection challenging.

14th March 2011, 09:21 PM
Speaking of 2009 ND pick 6, does anyone know how tall Rohan REALLY is, not the myriad heights I've seen bandied around for him for the past 18 months.

I think Tiger Martin looks like an elite midfielder in the making but I'm positive Rohan and Jetta will out X factor him over their careers.

stellation
14th March 2011, 09:29 PM
Speaking of 2009 ND pick 6, does anyone know how tall Rohan REALLY is, not the myriad heights I've seen bandied around for him for the past 18 months.

Do you know I think he's actually an inch or so taller this year?

Cephalik
14th March 2011, 09:31 PM
The swans site says he's 188. Though I've heard reports he is stil growing, however I'm not sure if it can be trusted, last year Josh Kennedy was 192cm and now he's 188.

Far Reach
14th March 2011, 10:35 PM
The swans site says he's 188. Though I've heard reports he is stil growing, however I'm not sure if it can be trusted, last year Josh Kennedy was 192cm and now he's 188.

I think it depends on what position they play :)

aardvark
14th March 2011, 10:37 PM
however I'm not sure if it can be trusted, last year Josh Kennedy was 192cm and now he's 188.

Weight of expectations for this year....:)

stellation
14th March 2011, 10:47 PM
Remember when ROK was 190cm?

Auntie.Gerald
15th March 2011, 08:54 AM
I reckon he is 188cm old ranga !

RogueSwan
15th March 2011, 09:35 AM
...last year Josh Kennedy was 192cm and now he's 188.
He does tend to slouch.

Cephalik
15th March 2011, 02:57 PM
http://cms.sydneyswans.com.au/Portals/0/sydney%20swans%20images/mediaphoto.jpg

Rohan looks huge in this photo. If Reid is 195 you'd think Rohan is at least 190.