PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 - Melbourne

Cheer Squad
22nd March 2011, 08:08 PM
After a rest last year, it's time to re-instate these weekly match polls.

Do I think we'll knock off the Demons at the MCG? No.

I know we've had a reasonably good pre-season, but the team is probably still a bit unsettled, especially considering personnel changes and our reputation for being slow starters.

There was also something about the way we were defeated in Round 17 last year that makes me think there's a gap between the two sides that will be difficult to overcome in the short term.

I think we'll improve on that appalling performance last year, but it won't be enough.

Demons by 26.

stellation
22nd March 2011, 08:28 PM
Swans between 10 and 19. Melbourne are an exciting young team but, unfortunately for them, Gary Rohan and Shane Mumford play for Sydney. :D

Big Al
22nd March 2011, 09:12 PM
Just have a feeling we'll drop this one and then bounce back against the bummers.

Auntie.Gerald
22nd March 2011, 09:29 PM
3 goals plus............its go time !!

Kirkari
22nd March 2011, 10:53 PM
Swans at a canter.

RogueSwan
23rd March 2011, 09:30 AM
If we do win I think we will do it easily in the end. Get out to a good start, lead by a goal or two at quarter time, put the foot down and have a half time lead of around 26 points. In the third quarter the Dees will come back but we will kick a couple of goals late to hold a 3 goal marging into the final quarter. In the fourth it is a tough battle back and forth, a few chances missed by both sides, a couple of outstanding goals kicked, then Kennedy will kick a couple to give us a 25 point win.
If we lose it will be by about 14 points and we will all be frustrated (again) by our inaccuracy.

Yuri H
23rd March 2011, 10:09 AM
We HAVE to win. I'm attending the game with a Dees-supporting friend & her husband. I need to gloat over after-match boozenings.

AnnieH
23rd March 2011, 10:28 AM
We'll win this one comfortably.

Plugger1300
23rd March 2011, 10:29 AM
I think we will win and win easily. The $2.25 about us at the TAB is a steal. Even take the $3.20 at 15.5 +. I believe that the loss last year was abherration, i have not seen Melbourne kick with such effieciency since. We were a kick from a prelim and they finished 12-13 on the ladder. Our backline is depleted but they don't have a power forward anyway.
Swans by 33

Dosser
23rd March 2011, 10:56 AM
I was there in Round 17 and we were made to look slow, slow, slow! I believe we have a faster team than last year and our pre-season form has been much better than Melb. Swans by 16.

dimelb
23rd March 2011, 12:07 PM
I think Melbourne can make the 8. After that appalling wake-up call last year, we should win, but not by more than three goals.

CJK
23rd March 2011, 12:32 PM
Swans by 3 goals.

Triple B
23rd March 2011, 01:00 PM
I think we will win and win easily. The $2.25 about us at the TAB is a steal. Even take the $3.20 at 15.5 +. I believe that the loss last year was abherration, i have not seen Melbourne kick with such effieciency since. We were a kick from a prelim and they finished 12-13 on the ladder. Our backline is depleted but they don't have a power forward anyway.
Swans by 33

This ^^^

23rd March 2011, 03:12 PM
Scully now out with a knee for 4 weeks - nice :-)

Think we need to pick a quick side which is probably what our best available team could be labelled. Their lack of tall power forwards suits us and I reckon we have the midfield grunt edge. A lot of expectation on Melbourne this year which is good.

Jesse needs a big game ......

satchmopugdog
23rd March 2011, 06:13 PM
We HAVE to win. I'm attending the game with a Dees-supporting friend & her husband. I need to gloat over after-match boozenings.

I was dithering..but this was the deciding factor...we have to win

Lucky Knickers
23rd March 2011, 08:35 PM
Couple of big outs for the Dee will see Swans take the points. Will be a tough game.

mcs
23rd March 2011, 11:15 PM
Will be tough but it is Rd 1 so have to be positive! Swannies by a few goals but in a tight, tough contest all day. Goodesy to kick a bag up front for us. Trengrove and Scully both in doubt for the Dees aren't they?

Big Al
23rd March 2011, 11:37 PM
Will be tough but it is Rd 1 so have to be positive! Swannies by a few goals but in a tight, tough contest all day. Goodesy to kick a bag up front for us. Trengrove and Scully both in doubt for the Dees aren't they?

Scully is out for 4 weeks. Probably looking for houses in Blacktown.

Not sure about Trengrove.

unconfuseme
24th March 2011, 01:53 AM
Swans by 33

I'm on! ... you would have needed to back Black Caviar all up her first 10 starts to get that return, and we will win by just as many lengths as she has!:cool:

$31 to win the flag will not be seen again this season either! (had a nibble).

Melbournehammer
24th March 2011, 08:48 AM
I reckon this is a really important game for us. If we win this and then beat essendon at ANZ next week (the other really big danger game for us I think) we could be looking at a very good season. if we lose both of these (and lets be honest essendon has run us pretty close at ANZ almost every time we've played there - even when they were rubbish) the geelong game at the SCG becomes really crucial - an absolute make or break game. I'm hoping that having Mummy and seaby back this match will change the dynamics from last year and stop the dees winning the ball constantly out of the middle. If we can prevent that i reckon we're good value elsewhere on the ground.

ugg
24th March 2011, 09:25 AM
We smashed Essendon the last time we played them at ANZ and it was a day game as well. You might be thinking of the SCG where I can recall at least two recent losses - the Barry Hall farewell at halftime game and the one where Monty Buchanan's shot brushed the fat padding on the goalpost. Also recall one where McVeigh snr kicked a goal after it was out but not called but I suspect that was the same game

CJK
24th March 2011, 10:02 AM
Also recall one where McVeigh snr kicked a goal after it was out but not called but I suspect that was the same game

Ah yes - the game where everyone had a whine about us Swans fans giving epic boos during the cup presentation (Marngrook? Trophy?) after the game.

First we have no passion, then we have too much. Stupid 'media'.

(This post has nothing to do with Rd 1)

mcs
24th March 2011, 11:22 AM
Ah yes - the game where everyone had a whine about us Swans fans giving epic boos during the cup presentation (Marngrook? Trophy?) after the game.

First we have no passion, then we have too much. Stupid 'media'.

(This post has nothing to do with Rd 1)

That was that game where that annoying little tosser McPhee went a good half a metre out with the ball in the build up to the goal. I was so angry that evening- wasn't at the game but I seem to remember my well thrown remote ended up in several distinct pieces after that incident!

Big Al
24th March 2011, 12:17 PM
That was that game where that annoying little tosser McPhee went a good half a metre out with the ball in the build up to the goal. I was so angry that evening- wasn't at the game but I seem to remember my well thrown remote ended up in several distinct pieces after that incident!

That's one of the reasons my remote gets confiscated during Swans matches on TV.

aardvark
24th March 2011, 01:34 PM
Swannies now into $2.15 on Sportsbet.

mcs
24th March 2011, 01:54 PM
That's one of the reasons my remote gets confiscated during Swans matches on TV.

Luckily my remote has well and truly been disassembled many a times so it is easily repairable, but yes I've often thought about doing the same thing!

Jewels
24th March 2011, 02:27 PM
I think Melbourne were really UP in that game last year, with the tin collections going around and Stynes there as sick as he was, I think they would have beaten any team that day - emotion is an amazing stimulant.
I think we'll win and win well.

swansrob
24th March 2011, 03:53 PM
I think Melbourne were really UP in that game last year, with the tin collections going around and Stynes there as sick as he was, I think they would have beaten any team that day - emotion is an amazing stimulant.

In that case - Sydney to do it for CBolts!

Quiet_Observer
24th March 2011, 03:58 PM
On Foxsports Roos gives his Round 1 verdict for every team but stays on the fence with Demons v Swans :-)

Paul Roos previews AFL round one | AFL | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/former-sydney-swans-coach-paul-roos-gives-his-verdict-for-the-opening-round-of-afl-action/story-e6frf3e3-1226026780322)

wearebloods
24th March 2011, 05:08 PM
Interesting tweet from DT reporter today:

http://twitter.com/toddbalym/status/50758622774439936

"Longmire said Swans match committee spent 2 hours on picking 22. Then 3.5hrs on who will be the sub and still no answer"

ugg
24th March 2011, 05:09 PM
Wow, didn't see this coming. Reid AND White both playing.

B: P.Bevan, T.Richards, M.Mattner
HB: R.Shaw, H.Grundy, A.Everitt
C: D.Hannebery, K.Jack, N.Smith
HF: L.Jetta, A.Goodes, B.McGlynn
F: R.O'Keefe, S.Reid, J.White
Foll: S.Mumford, J.Kennedy, J.McVeigh
Interchange from: J.Bolton, T.Dennis-Lane, B.Meredith, J.Moore, G.Rohan, M.Seaby, B.Sumner

ugg
24th March 2011, 05:14 PM
Melbourne's a team of midgets by comparison.

C.Bartram J.Rivers Joel Macdonald
J.Grimes C.Garland J.Bennell
N.Jones B.Moloney L.Tapscott
R.Bail C.Sylvia L.Jurrah
J.Watts B.Green A.Maric
M.Jamar L.Dunn Aa.Davey

N.Jetta S.Martin R.Petterd J.Spencer J Strauss J.Trengove M.Warnock

Nico
24th March 2011, 05:20 PM

Interchange from: J.Bolton, T.Dennis-Lane, B.Meredith, J.Moore, G.Rohan, M.Seaby, B.Sumner

Not many people would have had Bevan in the starting 22. My guess on the bench is Bolton, Rohan, Seaby and Sumner.

Go Swannies
24th March 2011, 05:21 PM

With those talls you'd imagine Seaby may be the reserve. But who are the two to miss out? Sumner and Rohan deserve a start, TDL was a walk-up start last year, but if it was Roos then you know Jude and Moore would be certs. Meredith? None deserve not to be there but some won't be. Hard task.

On the other side, Teddy played very well at the end of last year. With B2 gone this is his chance to truly cement his position in the 22.

Go Swannies
24th March 2011, 05:25 PM
Are we looking at our permanent forward set up?

undy
24th March 2011, 05:25 PM

Reidandwhiteonline

DST
24th March 2011, 05:26 PM
Hard to see which three will be dropped from the bench.

With both Reid and White playing, I reckon they may go with White as the second ruckman and leave Seaby out.

Reckon we will need plenty of run and carry off the bench, so it's J Bolton, Sumner and Rohan with TDL as the sub.

DST

Nico
24th March 2011, 05:28 PM
You can back us to win on all 4 brackets with an even stake on Sportsbet and make a profit.

1-19 = $4.60
20-39 = 6.50
40-59 = 12.00
Over 60 = 19.00

SCGonasunnyday
24th March 2011, 05:30 PM
Why have we been losing at the MCG?

If anyone has a theory that might help with the selection dilemma.

Nico
24th March 2011, 05:32 PM
With White, Reid and Goodes up forward it gives us a distinct height advantage in our forward line. Good looking team for mine. Just hope Byron plays for my Supercoach team.

stellation
24th March 2011, 05:39 PM
I wonder if they'll take the risk of making Seaby the sub then bringing him on if a Mummy/White ruck combo isn't working out (I'm assuming you can just sub a player out because you choose to).

ugg
24th March 2011, 05:39 PM
On the video, Longmire says Sumner is 'a small chance but unlikely'

LRT to play in the ressies this week, Tadhg not this week.

ugg
24th March 2011, 05:40 PM
I wonder if they'll take the risk of making Seaby the sub then bringing him on if a Mummy/White ruck combo isn't working out (I'm assuming you can just sub a player out because you choose to).
It's highly unlikely they would go with a ruckman as the sub. The sub should have to ability to cover any injuries and if we have White, Mummy, Reid and Seaby all on the field at the same time we may suffer in our midfield rotations.

stellation
24th March 2011, 05:44 PM
It's highly unlikely they would go with a ruckman as the sub. The sub should have to ability to cover any injuries and if we have White, Mummy, Reid and Seaby all on the field at the same time we may suffer in our midfield rotations.

I know it's unlikely, that's why I said it was a risk! :D

JudesaGun
24th March 2011, 05:45 PM
Great side IMO aside from Bevan. Swap him from Rohan and the selectors are spot on.

I'd take Jude, Seaby and TDL on the bench, with Sumer or Meredith as the sub.

tasswan
24th March 2011, 05:48 PM
Great side IMO aside from Bevan. Swap him from Rohan and the selectors are spot on.

I'd take Jude, Seaby and TDL on the bench, with Sumer or Meredith as the sub.

This except I would have a bench of Jude, Sumner and Seaby with TDL the sub

liz
24th March 2011, 05:55 PM
I would think Jude, Seaby and Rohan are close to definites, with the other four fighting it out (and Meredith the least likely of the four). Much may depend on the state of Moore's ankle. Given he's played all the pre-season games, I imagine he is firmly in the match committee's side if he is fit. If Moore isn't fit, TDL is the closest in terms of position, even though they are different kinds of player.

Kind of disappointed that we probably won't see Byron play.

laughingnome
24th March 2011, 05:58 PM
It's highly unlikely they would go with a ruckman as the sub. ... if we have White, Mummy, Reid and Seaby all on the field at the same time we may suffer in our midfield rotations.

Agreed. Unless one of White/Reid/Mummy is under an injury cloud that we haven't heard of then I think Seaby might miss out this week all together (which kills my fantasy leagues, dammit).

That would make the bench J.Bolton and three of Dennis-Lane, Meredith, Moore and Rohan. I can't seperate those three based on what I know nor by extrapolation. At a blind guess call it DL, Moore and Rohan.

ugg
24th March 2011, 06:02 PM
No one's noticed that Bird wasn't named. Also, I fear for Seaby's place in the side unless they're planning to play Goodes as a midfielder which would make little sense as they've played him at CHF in the pre-season and he's been in form there.

Hartijon
24th March 2011, 07:20 PM
Its a good side except for Bevan IMO. Even worse to play him right in front of the opposition goals on quick players whom he will scrag from behind. I would rather anyone else back there and Bevan if he must be played put in as a defensive forward. Smith up to the Centre line is good however,that guy is all class and could easily the next one after Jack to move to the next level.

stellation
24th March 2011, 07:22 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Bevo deserves 4 weeks (assuming we see either Rohan or Sumner on the bench). If he's still Bevo after 4 weeks then lynch any selector that makes an automatic selection, but if you carry him into this year on the roster you do it think he's a shot at making the side.

ShockOfHair
24th March 2011, 07:22 PM
This Hun version of the team has the 'final 22', which I assume is just a way of squeezing it into their format (I hope so).

But it does say that Bird is injured.
heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/super-scoreboard?match_id=10310107

Robbo
24th March 2011, 07:34 PM
I think Goodes should still play in the midfield, until he is physically unable to.

I'm very happy that they've thrown Reid into the deep end and named him at FF. This sort of thing pretty much never happened under Roos.

24th March 2011, 08:25 PM
They've gone for height in the fwd line, maybe to stretch Melb. Reid takes a strong mark and may be developed as a FF if Goodes is going to play CHF which I now thnk he should given his pre season form.

Bevan is a surprise. Disappointed that Sumner is not debuting.

Meredith is clearly the least of the benchers. I'm not a Moore fan but he seems to be in favour. TDL maybe hasn't hit his straps in the competitive pre season?

Bolton is a certainty. Think it's important that Rohan is in for his pace, tackling and X factor. Can we get by with just Mummy and White to pinch hit in ruck? If so Seaby is missing out.

Don't think we can risk not having a full speed factor bench against Melbourne. 5pm tomorrow WILL be interesting.

BigD
24th March 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm confident of a win. But I don't think it will be a cakewalk. Definitely 3 goals or less.

CJK
24th March 2011, 09:16 PM
I for one am outraged that Vez has not bee selected. Roos out.

Bas
24th March 2011, 10:06 PM
Reidandwhiteonline

I thought it was clever, even though nobody else has made a comment.

When I saw, Stynes on the bench at that last Melbourne game, I knew we were going to get thrashed even before the first ball was bounced.

Lets hope the guys are pumped to the "Bolts" .

Doctor
24th March 2011, 10:39 PM
I thought it was clever too.

I think Bevan needs a chance too. I'd also be surprised if we didn't see him in the defensive forward position at some stage.

I'd take Bolton, Seaby, Sumner, Rohan as my bench. Given I took Seady and Sumner in my fantasy team I'd like them both to play! :cool:

aardvark
25th March 2011, 12:19 AM
So Bevan is in the best 22 and Jude isn't. That's a big call IMO.
Good to see Smiffy get a run up the ground. Hope he starts there.

Primmy
25th March 2011, 07:24 AM
Reidandwhiteonline

Now that is good. :D

Go Swannies
25th March 2011, 07:41 AM
Its a good side except for Bevan IMO. Even worse to play him right in front of the opposition goals on quick players whom he will scrag from behind. I would rather anyone else back there and Bevan if he must be played put in as a defensive forward. Smith up to the Centre line is good however,that guy is all class and could easily the next one after Jack to move to the next level.

It's good to see some Bevo bashing before first bounce for the season. Some traditions can't be overlooked. But demerits for ignoring Ted.

CJK
25th March 2011, 09:07 AM
I give it 4 mins into the game before the shrill cries for Bevan to be subbed off begin.

Hartijon
25th March 2011, 09:18 AM
It's good to see some Bevo bashing before first bounce for the season. Some traditions can't be overlooked. But demerits for ignoring Ted.

I like aspects of Bevan's game eg. Hard nose courage,fierce tackles and playing on ok after a massive stuff up.He was not in the selectors best 22 for the last game against the Dogs last year and with the continued improvement of youngsters I doubted if he would get into the 22 for the first game. I thought what I saw of him in the NAB cup was more of the same old Bevan fumbling in front of goals that cost us 2 goals. I therefore did not have him in my best 22 and firmly believe that his role in the current team is defensive forward . I hope I am wrong but I feel against a fast classy side like Melbourne he will leak goals through crude tackles that come too late. I can't see him as a rebounding back pocket. As I say,I hope I am wrong! Bevo Bashing? Thats a bit harsh! More criticism of team selection for playing Melbourne.

Auntie.Gerald
25th March 2011, 09:24 AM
I think in part Bevo is playing a care taker role ie when Kennelly comes back in a couple of weeks I would Imagine Shaw slots in to Bevo's spot and Tag to HFF

But also Bevo brings flexibility and a known outcome for the defensive role

RogueSwan
25th March 2011, 09:54 AM
I am surprised that TDL is not starting. At the end of last year he would have easily been listed as a starter and we were all singing his praises.

Has something happened in the off-season? Maybe he thought he could rely on last year?s credits and now needs a kick up the bum???

Reidandwhiteonline - (clap)(clap)

Auntie.Gerald
25th March 2011, 10:08 AM
Longmire didnt sound convincing when he was asked about Jesse............??

stellation
25th March 2011, 10:13 AM
Longmire didnt sound convincing when he was asked about Jesse............??

When? In what way?

Auntie.Gerald
25th March 2011, 10:31 AM
Johnnys body language didnt look convincing................he kept looking down as if he was hiding something and maybe he has a surprise for the line up come Sunday........??

they do say 95% of communication is via body language......................but that doesnt mean I can read it correctly :)

either way though I am stoked if White or TDL start as they both are deserving................also I still wonder, against certain teams, can we carry two ruck man under the new rules??? Melbourne are light and fast and if any time one one would go with only ruckman and a crashing forward to fill in it would be this game??

ugg
25th March 2011, 10:41 AM
I am surprised that TDL is not starting. At the end of last year he would have easily been listed as a starter and we were all singing his praises.

Has something happened in the off-season? Maybe he thought he could rely on last year?s credits and now needs a kick up the bum???)

The something that happened in the offseason is the new interchange system. Longmire has said that he fears for the future of one-position players and I think TDL falls into this category. He did play up the ground more in the reserves game and was effective, albeit against lesser opposition.

Quiet_Observer
25th March 2011, 11:18 AM
Johnnys body language didnt look convincing................he kept looking down as if he was hiding something and maybe he has a surprise for the line up come Sunday........??

I have done an in depth forensic analysis of the video footage Auntie. By examining each the video frame by frame the engineers my lab have come up with the following results when Coach was asked about each player:

Everitt - Looked down 6 times
Sumner - Looked down 5 times
Reid + White - Looked down 6 times (at this point interviewer had asked about both so analysis could not distinguish which player matched each downward look)
White Only - Looked down 3 times

Analysis is inconclusive. It might just be he likes looking down, like the way Roos used to start a reply to every question with "Yeah, ...."

We'll try and break down the analysis further - as sometimes he glanced down as opposed to looked down which could mean there was a bug or something crawling on the floor that might have distracted him. ;)

Donners
25th March 2011, 12:12 PM
Hm, curious side. I was hoping Seaby and Rohan would play; not least because they're in my Supercoach team!

Bevan has some value as a small forward, but he worries me as a defender...

Hartijon
25th March 2011, 02:03 PM
The something that happened in the offseason is the new interchange system. Longmire has said that he fears for the future of one-position players and I think TDL falls into this category. He did play up the ground more in the reserves game and was effective, albeit against lesser opposition.

Has AFL become an aerobic fitness test or is it still a game to be won by scoring?Has it reached the stage where in a game that you win by kicking goals,the playing rules necessitate your sharp shooting goal sneak to play away from the goals? Last time I looked the team that scored the most goals won the game. TDL was welcomed by many because we have not had anyone for a while that could convert so accurately. He kicked about 7 in a hour or so in a trial game and is always dangerous as we saw against Carlton where he turned the game. To me its a no brainer to play a gifted goal kicker near the goals. They are the players who can win the game for you which is what it is all about.The fact he can't play in the backlines or across centre doesn't matter. His job is to kick a winning score for us.

Mountain Man
25th March 2011, 03:54 PM
Assuming Bradshaw is in the best 22, it appears to me that PLAN A (for the forward set up) has changed for 2011.

There will be 3 tall marking forwards with White, Reid (holding the role to be filled by Bradshaw when he is available) and O'Keefe listed as the front 3. It should be a pretty potent marking front line and should give the mid field something to kick to. Maybe the 'chip it around' entry technique has passed its use-by-date.

On this analysis, TDL would be the replacement for O'Keefe if he has to be moved elsewhere ? and into the future.

The next forward line listed has the dynamic Goodes, plus the fast small(er) McGlynn and Jetta. All these should be free to roam up the field to win ball and get it into the 50, as well as be around for the crumbing.

All seems good to me ? I just wonder what game time this set up had during the pre season to get all players comfortable in their roles, and get the mid field into the agreed delivery mode.

Doctor
25th March 2011, 04:07 PM
Has AFL become an aerobic fitness test or is it still a game to be won by scoring?Has it reached the stage where in a game that you win by kicking goals,the playing rules necessitate your sharp shooting goal sneak to play away from the goals? Last time I looked the team that scored the most goals won the game. TDL was welcomed by many because we have not had anyone for a while that could convert so accurately. He kicked about 7 in a hour or so in a trial game and is always dangerous as we saw against Carlton where he turned the game. To me its a no brainer to play a gifted goal kicker near the goals. They are the players who can win the game for you which is what it is all about.The fact he can't play in the backlines or across centre doesn't matter. His job is to kick a winning score for us.

Not a bad rant and it has some merit. Last night Richmond nearly won a game they shouldn't have for this very reason. I don't see Jack Reiwoldt playing in many other positions than full forward.

Cheer Squad
25th March 2011, 04:31 PM

Agree with you 100%. TDL was able to stand the heat in desperate conditions in a final, so I can't see why he wouldn't get this type of gig in reguar season matches.

cruiser
25th March 2011, 04:47 PM
I have to believe that we can win this, as rare as Swan's victories are in round 1.

ugg
25th March 2011, 05:05 PM
Weird team has just gone up, not sure what is going on
Int: J.Bolton Seaby Rohan Sumner
Emg: Meredith Bird Lamb

Mike_B
25th March 2011, 05:06 PM
Weird team has just gone up, not sure what is going on
Int: J.Bolton Seaby Rohan Sumner
Emg: Meredith Bird Lamb

Noticed the same thing - Moore and TDL gone altogether...

ugg
25th March 2011, 05:09 PM
Moore must have failed his fitness test. Tdl would have been an ideal replacement perhaps he hurt himself at training this morning? Bird reappears out of nowhere...

Bas
25th March 2011, 05:21 PM
Bird reappears out of nowhere...

Flown south for winter!!

OK so that only applies in the northern hemisphere but he is preparing for the 2012 apocalypse when the poles swap round.

gossipcom
25th March 2011, 05:39 PM
Moore failed his fitness test. TDL going out is making me scratch my head. Only thing I can think of is he pulled up sore at training.

Sumner to make Swans debut - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/110006/default.aspx)

Dalai Lama
25th March 2011, 05:44 PM
lets excerice the Demons....!

ugg
25th March 2011, 05:48 PM
Moore failed his fitness test. TDL going out is making me scratch my head. Only thing I can think of is he pulled up sore at training.

Sumner to make Swans debut - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/110006/default.aspx)

Or they want him to play in the reserves game give he has only played 1 of the last 3 weeks instead of doing nothing as an emergency

RogueSwan
25th March 2011, 05:54 PM
Has AFL become an aerobic fitness test ..... His job is to kick a winning score for us.

He should be in the team. Look at what happened in last nights tigers blues game. Waite went down and the Blues strgglued for a target while he was off. If Goodes has one of his off games on Sunday or he is gtting double/triple teamed another reliable target is required and that should be TDL, or TDL at the feet of ReidAndWhite.
Also the in regards to the new in thing of F50 defensive pressure .... Well just rewind to TDL's in the first final last year.
He should just be playing. That is why I am querying whethers something else has happened during the preseason????

Bexl
25th March 2011, 07:23 PM
I saw where Longmire said we would pick a team based on our set up and to cover Melbourne. I think that because Melbourne have a small team this week Beven is playing to cover a small forward and Dennis-lane is not playing so that we can stretch their defence with a tall full forward line. Also no point in him coming down if he wont play, he should stay in Sydney to play ressies and bring Lamb for the experiance. I am sure the TDL will play plenty of games this year when form and match ups are right.

gossipcom
25th March 2011, 07:38 PM
Or they want him to play in the reserves game give he has only played 1 of the last 3 weeks instead of doing nothing as an emergency
Yep most likely that.

CJK
25th March 2011, 08:57 PM
Congrats to TDL for leading the OUTRAGE league for non-selection.

If he tries really, really hard he to can get delisted come end of season.

cowcar
25th March 2011, 09:53 PM
I thought TDL's performance during the preseason was pretty ordinary...(not including intra club).. mainly because i think other teams are paying more attention to him...

Auntie.Gerald
26th March 2011, 08:20 AM

they do say 95% of communication is via body language......................but that doesnt mean I can read it correctly :)

either way though I am stoked if White or TDL start as they both are deserving................also I still wonder, against certain teams, can we carry two ruck man under the new rules??? Melbourne are light and fast and if any time one one would go with only ruckman and a crashing forward to fill in it would be this game??

well it was on the money that he was hiding player selection by looking at the ground alot but off the money on who !

RogueSwan
26th March 2011, 09:08 AM
I tend to think that Melbourne should be looking at us and wondering whether Jamar + back-up (haven't done my research) can match it for a whole game against two quality ruckman.
Surely when the back-up is on the field we should dominate the ruck and stoppages?

aardvark
26th March 2011, 11:30 AM
I tend to think that Melbourne should be looking at us and wondering whether Jamar + back-up (haven't done my research) can match it for a whole game against two quality ruckman.
Surely when the back-up is on the field we should dominate the ruck and stoppages?

Exactly right. Play to our own strength. First use of the ball is a priority.

aardvark
26th March 2011, 11:55 AM
Swannies now into $2.15 on Sportsbet.

In to $2.05 now. Rush of money for Swannies. By tomorrow we will be favourites.

Go Swannies
26th March 2011, 06:25 PM
I keep reading that this game is the tightest match between two equal teams. I think that's lazy - the journos just want Melbourne to show the potential they have. It's 5th playing 12th. Of course, we have the last time they met but that was exceptional and I bet it won't happen again. I've changed my mind and think it will be a blowout for the Swans - we'll prove to be just too big, strong and experienced.

Auntie.Gerald
26th March 2011, 10:37 PM

The Pies are only going with one ruckman also so far.............the first few weeks will be interesting to watch re the 2 ruckman vs one..................equally the advantage that teams with only ruckman may find in extra run or not ?

Primmy
26th March 2011, 10:42 PM
Just in case you miss the ressie reports, it looks like TDL rolled his ankle during the week, so no great drama about him not being selected.

Happy New Season everyone!

Hartijon
26th March 2011, 11:19 PM
Just in case you miss the ressie reports, it looks like TDL rolled his ankle during the week, so no great drama about him not being selected.

Happy New Season everyone!

Thanks for clearing that up.that makes more sense.

mcs
27th March 2011, 07:42 AM
Just getting ready to go to the airport for the flight to Melbourne. C'mon Swans lets start the season in the right fashion and smash those Dees!!!

stellation
27th March 2011, 09:13 AM
I'm a little giddy with excitement. Goody Stella is making up a big batch of pancakes so Stella Junior and I can eat like Goodesy on game day. :)

Nico
27th March 2011, 09:14 AM
The Pies are only going with one ruckman also so far.............the first few weeks will be interesting to watch re the 2 ruckman vs one..................equally the advantage that teams with only ruckman may find in extra run or not ?

Brisbane played Clark at full forward for most of the match.

Jewels
27th March 2011, 10:38 AM

Didn't they do that last year before the sub rule? From memory it was Jolly with Leigh Brown as back up so after the success they had you wouldn't expect them to change.

31 hard at it
27th March 2011, 11:35 AM
Leaving now to pick up my Dad and take him to see the team he has supported since an uncle took him to his first game in 1934 - the Mighty Swans !
We have had a few good days at the G (2005 stands out) but a lot of disappointments - Thats the only way to describe last year against the Demons.

Hoping for a better day in a little sunshine today. New Season - Its all on from today :)

Auntie.Gerald
27th March 2011, 12:49 PM
Didn't they do that last year before the sub rule? From memory it was Jolly with Leigh Brown as back up so after the success they had you wouldn't expect them to change.

my gut feeling is that Mummy after 6 rounds or so could do an all game like Jolly............only problem is Jolly is a very good mark and a solid kick for a ruckman

ugg
27th March 2011, 01:08 PM
Petterd the sub for the Dees
Seaby for us!

Definitely going against the trend.

stellation
27th March 2011, 01:47 PM
Petterd the sub for the Dees
Seaby for us!

Definitely going against the trend.
:p

Cheer Squad
27th March 2011, 04:49 PM
O-M-F-G!!!!

Not one single one of us got it right!!!!