PDA

View Full Version : Concussion Rule

On-Baller
29th March 2011, 12:43 AM
Hi all used to be a contributor here years ago under another id [LeoBarryForPm or similiar] around 2003-4 but due to life getting in the way have just been a lurker over last few years,anyway thanks to all for the great content you provide.

Now onto a question id like to ask regarding the new concussion rule,now some may think it takes away from the toughness of the game etc but just wondering what you think about some of our real tough in and under players now wearing head gear.Jude Bolton for mine should always have to wear head gear as he's had a long history of concussions,2 in one game if i recall rightly from last year.But id also consider whacking head gear on Kieran Jack and Ben Mcglynn and thats just the first few to come to mind.

Surely it cant be long until clubs have to consider doing this?Especially with the shortened bench a concussion could cost you the game if you've already had to use the sub to replace an injured player or for tactics.I know there will be people who say its weak or going towards other sports with padding etc but surely if it helps you keep guys on the park and to win games it has to be done.

ScottH
29th March 2011, 07:29 AM
That is not such a silly idea. Not sure if it would catch on soon.
It would certainly stop some of the lesser bumps to the head from doing too much harm.

Welcome back BTW!!

Triple B
29th March 2011, 10:35 AM
It would certainly stop some of the lesser bumps to the head from doing too much harm.

Welcome back BTW!!

I agree.

I think the main opposition to headgear is most players find it uncomfortable, but if you have no worries in that regard, it's almost a no-brainer for an in and under player to don the headgear on a permanent basis, it just may well save us losing 4 points one day.

dimelb
29th March 2011, 11:42 AM
I'm surprised they're not already doing it. "Almost a no-brainer" is an apt phrase.

satchmopugdog
29th March 2011, 11:51 AM
It sure helped Shaun Hart and Nathan??????(senior Moment) from St.Kilda. They got used to them.

Triple B
29th March 2011, 12:00 PM
Burke

On-Baller
29th March 2011, 01:24 PM

Welcome back BTW!!

Thanks alot,nice to be back!I really do think that sooner rather than later a side will do this and then as soon as that head gear is seen to have saved a player from being concussed everyone will jump on-board.

laughingnome
29th March 2011, 02:53 PM
Burke

Burkie wrote in his column in IF last year about why he wore the helmet. Something to do with suffering migraines after matches (read: mild concussions).

There has to be a negative stereotype to wearing the things, regardless of their effectiveness. With no information, I'd wager that some players are taking pain meds post-game rather than stopping or lessening the cause. Perhaps, like with the kidney pads, players 'feel' restricted or heavier and are disinclined to wear such protection in a game built for agility and speed.

I agree with On-Baller though, it's only a matter of time before a player is "encouraged" by the coaches/doctors to wear one and the benefits are displayed in a match.

Nico
29th March 2011, 04:53 PM
I heard this brifely discussed on SEN sometime last week. It appears when helmets were in vogue a few years back they believed/shown to be of little benefit in collisions. I think blokes used them because it made them feel a bit safer/secure out on the field.

Nico
29th March 2011, 04:55 PM
Trivia question; who was the South player to wear a helmet in the early 60's? I don't know if he was the first to do so in the VFL but it certainly drew big headlines.

On-Baller
29th March 2011, 05:22 PM
I heard this brifely discussed on SEN sometime last week. It appears when helmets were in vogue a few years back they believed/shown to be of little benefit in collisions. I think blokes used them because it made them feel a bit safer/secure out on the field.

Yeah you may be right ive heard some studies in the past also alluding to the fact it was more a player comfort thing rather than it actually being affective,but surely better helmets have been developed or could be developed,i truly believe once one coach takes this step and if it is seen to have worked over a period of a season or even half a season then others will jump on board,purely due to this new rule.As i said earlier once one or two teams loose games due to having already used a sub and then losing a player due to an even mild concussion clubs will have to look at any edge they can get as you surely cant stop these tough players putting their head over the ball week in and week out and you wouldnt want too i guess.

And even if it doesnt come into trend i truly believe Jude should be made to wear one for his own good,while on the extreme side you only have to read about the autopsy of a guy like Chris Benoit and see what these repeated hits to the head does to your brain,and as much as i value Judes toughness and work ethic id much rather see him wear a helmet and grow old a healthy and happy man with all his faculties in tact than be a mess due to too many hard hits,and it doesnt always show its affects straight away it can be years after that it starts to take its toll.

Bas
30th March 2011, 10:49 PM
I have read Nathan Gibbs doesn't hold the view of concussions affecting the player weeks after. he's the Club Doctor and I'm sure he's studied the subject failry intensely.

As far as the wrestler is concerned, I didn't think it was "real" what they did but if you are regularly doing moves such as flying headbutts and connecting with someone elses head then long term it mustn't be good for you. Add that to very heavy steroid abuse and what that does to your body and mind and the result can be anything.

Players don't get heavy head knocks every game so where would it end when technically you could put everyone in head gear - safety in the workplace.

They would be better in slowing down the game then continually speeding it up. Sub rule would go someway to doing this.

Bas
31st March 2011, 07:50 AM
It didn't take long.

Ex-Demon seeks brain damage compo | AFL | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ex-melbourne-demons-defender-daniel-bell-seeks-compensation-for-impact-of-his-afl-head-injuries/story-e6frf33l-1226031109976)

I have the same memory problem with anything to do with my ex-wife. The ex Demons compensation payment request seems a tad low for what is being claimed as a serious injury. Hmmmmmm......................

On-Baller
31st March 2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah the case of Daniel Bell seems a bit iffy,and i take the point about the wrestler but i did say it was an EXTREME case.Jude Bolton has had at least 10 concussions if not more and i still believe for his own safety and probably the piece of mind of his family he should have to wear head gear every week.And my original point stands too,with the new concussion rule IF they can find helmets that will protect players more Jack and mcglynn should wear them too,itll only take one game where a side has used their sub then gets a concussion and teams will have to consider thios option.

RogueSwan
31st March 2011, 12:58 PM
As a few have mentioned I don't think helmets actually protect against concussion as this is caused by the brain banging against the inside of the skull.
You would have to wear a bicylcle helmet as a minimum to absorb the impact of the collision.

Nico
31st March 2011, 01:09 PM
It makes you wonder if the sub rule that came out of nowhere is a result of the AFL being fully aware of the Bell case some time ago. Funny how the story is released the week after it is introduced. On Jude Bolton..if I were he would be getting some tests done right now. 10 concussions is a heck of a lot.

We all recall ROK getting concussed badly last year and he didn't play I think for 3 weeks. His form from there on was ordinary.

RogueSwan
31st March 2011, 02:12 PM
...We all recall ROK getting concussed badly last year and he didn't play I think for 3 weeks. His form from there on was ordinary.

Was that the start of the groin problem?

Triple B
31st March 2011, 02:27 PM
We all recall ROK getting concussed badly last year and he didn't play I think for 3 weeks. His form from there on was ordinary.

He didn't miss any games, but no doubt, his form definately suffered.

On-Baller
31st March 2011, 02:30 PM
As a few have mentioned I don't think helmets actually protect against concussion as this is caused by the brain banging against the inside of the skull.
You would have to wear a bicylcle helmet as a minimum to absorb the impact of the collision.

Yeah ive read studies that claim that,but then surely better head gear can be made,i mean boxers when they spar wear head gear,is that for nothing?If you went up and headbutted a wall then did the same but had a thick bit of foam between your head and the wall which would hurt more?

And this quote from the article above means they HAVE to find better head gear in my book....""All our research records indicate, and we have received a lot of data from the US, that multiple concussions can lead to long-term problems such as Alzheimer's disease. The facts are compelling," he said.

"You can be sure what is currently going on in terms of players not being allowed back on the ground after a heavy clash will become the norm."

Im sure none of us want players like Jude and Mcglynn to have to suffer later in life for having played a game a bit too hard.

I respect Nathan Gibbs and hope he's right about no long lasting effects but even in boxing if you get knocked out you have to have a minimum of 31 days rest and then a brain scan.Jude got knocked out twice in one game last year and played the next week!