PDA

View Full Version : Coping with Swans related stress

andyn
29th April 2011, 04:52 PM
I should be very used to feeling a little anxious about Swans games given the way we play and our tradition of providing heart attack moments. I always try to think 'it's only a game' or 'it's not like we're going to win the premiership this year' when we lose, but here I am waiting to finish work to go down to the SCG on a Friday night, and I'm actually nervous! It sucks. So has anyone mastered any tips on coping with Swans related stress?

JF_Bay22_SCG
29th April 2011, 05:05 PM
I should be very used to feeling a little anxious about Swans games given the way we play and our tradition of providing heart attack moments. I always try to think 'it's only a game' or 'it's not like we're going to win the premiership this year' when we lose, but here I am waiting to finish work to go down to the SCG on a Friday night, and I'm actually nervous! It sucks. So has anyone mastered any tips on coping with Swans related stress?

One answer, DRINK!

The stress we are having now is weird. i remember the days back in 1991/92 where we'd be stoked if we won a half. And weirdly look back on these dark old days with an odd amount of fondness.

I'm worried about our game in wet weather as well. our often-manufactured skills fell apart completely against Geelong. we seriously lacked any form of half forward line at all.

JF

neilfws
29th April 2011, 05:13 PM
A great question and I wish there were a simple answer (apart from drink). It never gets better for me; the butterflies start 2 days before a game, but a calm comes over me as soon as I get to the ground. I love the wins, heart attack or not and the losses: well, I just sit back, fold my arms, watch it unfold grimly and say "ah well, next week".

I suppose my advice is: try to enjoy the occasion and the beauty (or not) of the game, as much as the team performance.

Big Al
29th April 2011, 05:40 PM
Those that have sat any where near me in the past know me to be a bit fiery and vocal. I have learnt the hard way over summer that this angst and worry is a little silly in the grand scheme of things. As a result I'm now super calm during matches which means I'm enjoying the footy much much more. If we win that is great and i'll celebrate and enjoy but if we lose then there is always next week.

Auntie.Gerald
29th April 2011, 11:49 PM
Im loosing it jerry !!

loosing it !!!!

ScottH
29th April 2011, 11:53 PM
Yep, beer, and fingernails.

satchmopugdog
30th April 2011, 10:36 AM
What about the stress after the game....Friday night football..at least The anticipation stress is cut short but now I feel dreadful for the whole weekend..listless,apethetic tripping over torn up membership cards

Primmy
30th April 2011, 10:58 AM
I try the Pollyanna method. That bit was brilliant. I think Sam Reid is going to get better and better. Whattabout Mumford!! Wow that tackle was great! and I ignore the final result.

erica
30th April 2011, 11:26 AM
I try the Pollyanna method. That bit was brilliant. I think Sam Reid is going to get better and better. Whattabout Mumford!! Wow that tackle was great! and I ignore the final result.

I agree about Mumford and just love watching him attack the game. I do worry, though, about how long he can perform at such a level.

Primmy
30th April 2011, 11:57 AM
Oddly enough Mumms reminds me of Paul Kelly. Doesn't know he can't do it.

satchmopugdog
30th April 2011, 01:58 PM
Oddly enough Mumms reminds me of Paul Kelly. Doesn't know he can't do it.

Feeling better already with that thought....the old Paul Kelly "someone's got my ball get that ball get that ball"

Margie
30th April 2011, 02:01 PM
Feeling better already with that thought....the old Paul Kelly "someone's got my ball get that ball get that ball"

Ha ha. Talk about never-say-die, those were the days.

GongSwan
30th April 2011, 08:21 PM
I would never drink and watch the game at home, probably end up with a glass thrown at the plasma at some point:eek:

Big Al
1st May 2011, 03:55 AM
I would never drink and watch the game at home, probably end up with a glass thrown at the plasma at some point:eek:

The remote is confiscated from me during Swans matches due to an incident a few years ago so I know what you mean. :)

Jesse Richards
1st May 2011, 12:31 PM
I have had some very uncomfortable medical moments toward the end of close Swans games - high blood pressure related problems and am not willing to endure another season of wondering if I'm going to survive to see the end of the game. One time when I was taken to hospital in an ambulance, I went home immediately after triage to watch a Swans game because there was no guarantee I would be treated before the game started. Luckily we won that game easily.

For this year I have decided that there is no way Longmire can be expected to win a Premiership in his first season; that he is building and exploring. So I am resolved to enjoy the positives - like our first half against Carlton and our seemingly new found ability to play superfast. I have resolved not to worry about who is left in or out of the team for the rest of this year, not to stay up till 3am reading every post on RWO, not to stress over idiotic opinions in the media or elsewhere and not to lose sleep over whether we win or not. I am resolved, too, not to let idiotic AFL commentators, Andydimwitriou or anyone else have any effect on my sense of well being, health or happiness, no matter how greedy or shady, insulting or corrupt I believe it/they/them/he is/may be/appear to be etc. (There I go again and the physical symptoms are uncomfortable and immediate.)

I feel like I'm selling out through not maintaining the rage and the passion but there's always next year...

satchmopugdog
1st May 2011, 01:03 PM
One of the best posts ever........that is a real fan....You have inspired me with your new attitude. Of course Longmire won't get a premiership in his first season..just get some of JR's perspective...thank you very much..good luck with the blood pressure

Triple B
1st May 2011, 01:54 PM
I've told this story before, but it's worth telling again.

Easter Sunday 2000 i was unwell with what I thought was indigestion after coming home in the early afternoon from a morning shift at work. My wife and daughter were at the Easter Show, so I lay down to get some sleep as I was dog tired after a 4am start and I didn't get home until midnight the night before after a Swans/Geelong game at the SCG.

The pain got worse and I called my wife to pickup some Gaviscon or similar on the way home. When she finally arrived home it was apparent that it was more serious, ambulance called and shortly afterwards I found myself in the local IC unit having a heart attack.

After I was stabilised and monitored, I was transferred a few days later to StVincents Private. What a great hospital to be in and one that makes u thankful you have private cover. Silver service at meal time and Foxsports, directly to your room.

I had angioplasty on Friday morning, so was ready to watch the Swans v Carlton on TV the following afternoon. My wife said 'No way' and pleaded with the Cardiologist to talk me out of it. In the end we agreed I would behave myself and my wife and (late) grandmother watched the game in my room on Fox. We got flogged and I never at any stage had anything to stress about, so all was good.

Monday morning I'm awake early, so switch on Fox. I was a bit of a golf nut at the time and Robert Allenby was going head to head with Craig Stadler, trying to win his first USPGA title. Allenby missed a short putt to win and I yelled out '@@@@' (fortunately, he went on to win in a playoff). Unfortunately, my cardiologist was doing the rounds and heard my scream. He came rushing in to see what the problem was and when he found out what had happened to get me all worked up, he soon understood why there was hesitation in letting me watch the Swans...lol

Two weeks later we are sitting in his rooms and discussing my health. Two questions were asked, when can we resume sexual activity and when can I go back to watch the Swans. We got the go ahead to commence one immediately, but not the other for at least 6 weeks.

That's 6 games I'll never get back...:frown

Big Al
1st May 2011, 02:22 PM

Easter Sunday 2000 i was unwell with what I thought was indigestion after coming home in the early afternoon from a morning shift at work. My wife and daughter were at the Easter Show, so I lay down to get some sleep as I was dog tired after a 4am start and I didn't get home until midnight the night before after a Swans/Geelong game at the SCG.

The pain got worse and I called my wife to pickup some Gaviscon or similar on the way home. When she finally arrived home it was apparent that it was more serious, ambulance called and shortly afterwards I found myself in the local IC unit having a heart attack.

After I was stabilised and monitored, I was transferred a few days later to StVincents Private. What a great hospital to be in and one that makes u thankful you have private cover. Silver service at meal time and Foxsports, directly to your room.

I had angioplasty on Friday morning, so was ready to watch the Swans v Carlton on TV the following afternoon. My wife said 'No way' and pleaded with the Cardiologist to talk me out of it. In the end we agreed I would behave myself and my wife and (late) grandmother watched the game in my room on Fox. We got flogged and I never at any stage had anything to stress about, so all was good.

Monday morning I'm awake early, so switch on Fox. I was a bit of a golf nut at the time and Robert Allenby was going head to head with Craig Stadler, trying to win his first USPGA title. Allenby missed a short putt to win and I yelled out '@@@@' (fortunately, he went on to win in a playoff). Unfortunately, my cardiologist was doing the rounds and heard my scream. He came rushing in to see what the problem was and when he found out what had happened to get me all worked up, he soon understood why there was hesitation in letting me watch the Swans...lol

Two weeks later we are sitting in his rooms and discussing my health. Two questions were asked, when can we resume sexual activity and when can I go back to watch the Swans. We got the go ahead to commence one immediately, but not the other for at least 6 weeks.

:rofl(clap)

Great post mate.

Cant turn right
1st May 2011, 02:57 PM

I just read that out to my wife. We can't stop laughing.

ScottH
1st May 2011, 03:05 PM

So, you and your wife call sex, games??

dimelb
1st May 2011, 03:08 PM
Lovely story TripleB. I remember its previous outing and wondering if the experience led to your change of cybername.
Incidentally, you're in good company. The Australian designer Charles Furey (we all sit on his chairs) was a keen Swans fan and once had a heart attack while watching a game on TV. He survived.

JF_Bay22_SCG
2nd May 2011, 03:01 PM
What about the stress after the game....Friday night football..at least The anticipation stress is cut short but now I feel dreadful for the whole weekend..listless,apethetic tripping over torn up membership cards

I was in a foul mood on Friday night. Really glum, really angry we'd blown another winnable game at home. Still had I not been a povo uni student I'd have been at both the Cats & Blues games. I generally hate wet weather matches in principle (wet flags to wave & then lug home & throw in the washing machine etc etc), but when you are at the game and lose & get the 'reward' of being saturated for your troubles, it hurts doubly so.

I recall some of the most painful losses I have attended have been interstate in the rain (v Port 2003, v Carlton 1998 when I didn't bring a change of trousers, so had to walk around in wet jeans all evening)

My way of dealing with is is to follow other sports. The Storm played on Saturday night against the Knights, we had a good win, I yelled myself hoarse & all was good with the world again.

Next Saturday I have both teams playing on the same day. If the Swans lose in Canberra, hopefully the Storm beat the Broncos up in Brisbane. It is when both teams lose when you start musing over how life sucks. ;)

JF

neilfws
2nd May 2011, 06:47 PM

So glad you did - really enjoyed it!

Wardy
2nd May 2011, 07:58 PM
Age has wearied me - I used to, without fail, always lose my voice at a swans match. - now I may say the odd "oh no" go "arrgh" but thats about it these days - it seems my screaming like a banshee days are behind me.

excellent story BBB - priorities are so important!;):D

Jesse Richards
4th May 2011, 01:01 AM
Hey Triple B, great post.

Another way I've discovered to keep physiologically safe is not to watch the game live, but to tape it and watch it later after hearing the final score. Discovered this when there was a clash with the Reserves who played in Canberra at the same time as the firsts played interstate. Accidentally saw the score. Heart rate still fast at times watching the replay but no chest clutching. Still, what a way to go - as long as the Swans win.

msb
4th May 2011, 01:08 PM
I have had some very uncomfortable medical moments toward the end of close Swans games - high blood pressure related problems and am not willing to endure another season of wondering if I'm going to survive to see the end of the game. One time when I was taken to hospital in an ambulance, I went home immediately after triage to watch a Swans game because there was no guarantee I would be treated before the game started. Luckily we won that game easily.

For this year I have decided that there is no way Longmire can be expected to win a Premiership in his first season; that he is building and exploring. So I am resolved to enjoy the positives - like our first half against Carlton and our seemingly new found ability to play superfast. I have resolved not to worry about who is left in or out of the team for the rest of this year, not to stay up till 3am reading every post on RWO, not to stress over idiotic opinions in the media or elsewhere and not to lose sleep over whether we win or not. I am resolved, too, not to let idiotic AFL commentators, Andydimwitriou or anyone else have any effect on my sense of well being, health or happiness, no matter how greedy or shady, insulting or corrupt I believe it/they/them/he is/may be/appear to be etc. (There I go again and the physical symptoms are uncomfortable and immediate.)

I feel like I'm selling out through not maintaining the rage and the passion but there's always next year...

Yes, that in mine and also the fact that we wouldnt beat collingwood in the GF in a million years anyway if we somehow made it, so I tend to think along those lines after a disappointing loss to get some console.

aardvark
4th May 2011, 04:22 PM
Hey Triple B, great post.

Another way I've discovered to keep physiologically safe is not to watch the game live, but to tape it and watch it later after hearing the final score. Discovered this when there was a clash with the Reserves who played in Canberra at the same time as the firsts played interstate. Accidentally saw the score. Heart rate still fast at times watching the replay but no chest clutching. Still, what a way to go - as long as the Swans win.

NARF....and you expect the players to die for the cause.....there are worse ways to go than a Swans induced Hearty IMO.:D

Auntie.Gerald
4th May 2011, 05:47 PM
i often wonder whether by having so much knowledge via our sharing on this forum and etc actually does not help our sanity :)

ie by being closer and closer to the action via this forum and swans site etc i feel all i know about is the swans and nothing substantial about other teams.

Therefore my analytical brain is has been over loaded with a tremendous bias !

The young hopefuls etc become stars in my thinking because I know too much about them via the forum.

time for a rethink :)

Big Al
4th May 2011, 06:11 PM
NARF....and you expect the players to die for the cause.....there are worse ways to go than a Swans induced Hearty IMO.:D

If I'm going to go via a heart attack there's only one thing I can think of that I'd like to doing at the time and it doesn't involve the Swans unless Jessica Alba happens to like the footy.