PDA

View Full Version : Ex-players flirting with greatness

ShockOfHair
5th May 2011, 07:03 PM
Simon Phillips debuts for Port tomorrow. I'm not sure whether that warrants congratulations....:(

He was traded to Port from Gold Coast. Surely a first?

Simon Phillips Player Profile bio - Official AFL Website of the Port Adelaide Football Club (http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/tabid/8475/Default.aspx?playerid=22196)

For Dale Lewis fans, a classy piece of vox-pop, "Grab Lewie by the balls".

Video: Grab Dale Lewis by the balls - Adelaide Oval reaction (http://video.adelaidenow.com.au/1906780791/Grab-Dale-Lewis-by-the-balls-Adelaide-Oval-reaction)

ugg
5th May 2011, 07:16 PM
I loved Phillips during his stint with the reserves, I thought he could have been the small crumber that we were lacking. However when he came into the side they played him further up the ground than he was used to in the reserves.

Ironically, he has been playing midfield with Norwood during his time in the SANFL and I think that's where he will be playing for Port.

Bleed Red Blood
5th May 2011, 07:17 PM
Peter Faulks was traded from GC to Freo.
And Krakour from GC to the Pies.

ALl of whom I thought GC should've held onto instead of another teen, but I guess they're looking at the long term.

eggbeater
5th May 2011, 07:20 PM
Might not be of interest for most people here but I was just running through team lists and noticed that he has been named in PA's 22.

Personally wishing good luck to him and hopefully he does well.

ShockOfHair
5th May 2011, 07:37 PM
I loved Phillips during his stint with the reserves, I thought he could have been the small crumber that we were lacking. However when he came into the side they played him further up the ground than he was used to in the reserves.

Ironically, he has been playing midfield with Norwood during his time in the SANFL and I think that's where he will be playing for Port.

I saw him playing for Norwood in a semi-final last year. Great attack on the ball. Probably the kind of player Port needs right now, so good luck to him.

Didn't he get dumped from the Swans for disciplinary reasons?

goswannies
5th May 2011, 11:20 PM

Yes. Hotel indescretion. I met him a little while ago. He had nothing but great things to say about his time at the Swans. A very nice guy. All the best this week Flipper!

goswannies
5th May 2011, 11:22 PM

ALl of whom I thought GC should've held onto instead of another teen, but I guess they're looking at the long term.

Perhaps Shock of Hair meant first GC -> Port? In which case, yes

i'm-uninformed2
6th May 2011, 09:34 AM
Yes. Hotel indescretion.

Do tell

undy
6th May 2011, 10:01 AM
One of the things that I like about Dale is that (like me) he doesn't appear to have altered his wardrobe in the last 15 years. I reckon I've seen him play a pre-season game in a hat like that.

Jeffers1984
6th May 2011, 10:07 AM
Best of luck to Flipper!

ugg
6th May 2011, 11:35 AM
I saw him playing for Norwood in a semi-final last year. Great attack on the ball. Probably the kind of player Port needs right now, so good luck to him.

I've heard a few different reasons but it was clear that he wasn't dumped for form reasons. Played in the Round 1 2007 match (the GF rematch where Kerr tackled McVeigh near the end to win it for them) and then didn't get a look in for the rest of the year, not even an emergency even though he was very good in the reserves. Led the goalkicking (53) and was 2nd to Jarred Moore in the Reserves B&F.

stellation
6th May 2011, 11:43 AM
Ahhhh, I still love Dale.

Best of luck to Simon running out for the Power this weekend, hope he does well!

ROK Lobster
8th May 2011, 09:11 AM
Do tellForgot to arrange valet parking for the coach.

Primmy
10th May 2011, 07:12 PM
Good luck to the flea. did anyone note how he went?

ShockOfHair
10th May 2011, 07:39 PM
6 disposals - the least of any Port player. But don't know if he was the sub or not.

BSA5
10th May 2011, 08:57 PM
6 disposals - the least of any Port player. But don't know if he was the sub or not..

He was the sub, came on for Rodan

satchmopugdog
10th May 2011, 09:00 PM
Forgot to arrange valet parking for the coach.

You dag:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ugg
15th May 2011, 12:12 PM
Flipper was quiet for most of the night, I can't remember anything from him in the first half. Matched up against Jetta a few times in the 2nd half and kicked a pearler of a goal with his non-preferred left.

10 disposals (7 contested at 100% efficiency) 3 tackles 2 marks 2 clearances 1 goal

ScottH
15th May 2011, 12:53 PM
That was about the only time I noticed him.

ugg
15th May 2011, 01:31 PM
Also in the FOXTEL Cup curtain raiser where Port Adelaide thrashed East Coast, James Meiklejohn ended up with 4 goals. I only saw a smidgin of the last quarter and only one of his goals where he easily outmuscled his defender right in the goal square for an easy goal.

silent lurker
17th May 2011, 12:34 AM

The thing about those trades was that the clubs involved were able to nominate any player not playing in the AFL, who Gold Coast would then list and subsequently trade.