PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pyke

Big Al
8th May 2011, 02:49 PM
*in a Mark Williams Voice*

"Brian Taylor, you were wrong"

Pykey is an extraordinary story that doesn't seem to get a lot attention by the media. To come from International Rugby Union to play a completely different game in another country and to do it successfully is just an amazing effort.

Well done Pykey!!

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2011, 03:01 PM
i mentioned in another post we tend to recruit players that can flourish in a patient environment.................that is in part because we have limited choices..................but it is fair to say we have become a club that players like Jetta, Kennedy, Spangher, Everitt, McGlynn, Shaw, Hall, etc saw as genuine opportunities to seperate themself from cities and clubs that expect so much and fly under all the crazy AFL radars.

But the patient environment brings out the best in culture I feel.........our players and coaches go to the next level of character by having to be patient when other clubs and fans are not.

Hence the recruitment of Mike Pyke was brilliant and he is paying back in spades.

He has so much upside and by 28 to 30 yrs of age he could be a serious weapon !!

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2011, 03:04 PM
go MIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RogueSwan
8th May 2011, 03:36 PM
He belongs.

Wonder how Seabs is feeling atm? I think Mike brings a more physical game but it has been so long since I saw Seabs play I could be wrong.

swansrule100
8th May 2011, 03:56 PM
He belongs.

Wonder how Seabs is feeling atm? I think Mike brings a more physical game but it has been so long since I saw Seabs play I could be wrong.

i feel for seaby he was going so well til injury last year and now is stuck behind other ruckmen, pretty much where he was at west coast.

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2011, 04:09 PM
also it is the job of forward pressure................Mike seems a little more agile and we know he one of our top sprinters..............his tenacity to tackle means he has less downside in defence........in the ruck and as leads up front not much splits Seabs and Mike I think now

dimelb
8th May 2011, 06:23 PM
i mentioned in another post we tend to recruit players that can flourish in a patient environment.................that is in part because we have limited choices..................but it is fair to say we have become a club that players like Jetta, Kennedy, Spangher, Everitt, McGlynn, Shaw, Hall, etc saw as genuine opportunities to seperate themself from cities and clubs that expect so much and fly under all the crazy AFL radars.

But the patient environment brings out the best in culture I feel.........our players and coaches go to the next level of character by having to be patient when other clubs and fans are not.

Hence the recruitment of Mike Pyke was brilliant and he is paying back in spades.

He has so much upside and by 28 to 30 yrs of age he could be a serious weapon !!
He certainly was yesterday!

neilfws
8th May 2011, 06:33 PM
I'm looking forward to the day when we stop talking about Pyke as "the Canadian experiment", "the ex-union player" or "surprisingly good for (insert X here)" and just appreciate him as a good AFL player. It will be sooner than many think!

What I like about him is that he obviously knows exactly what's required and is willing to do the work to get there.

liz
8th May 2011, 06:49 PM
I'm looking forward to the day when we stop talking about Pyke as "the Canadian experiment", "the ex-union player" or "surprisingly good for (insert X here)" and just appreciate him as a good AFL player. It will be sooner than many think!

What I like about him is that he obviously knows exactly what's required and is willing to do the work to get there.

Leigh Colbert said something during the commentary about how when Pyke is mentioned, it is rarely favourable. I think it was just after he kicked his soccer goal. I was a little disappointed that Roos didn't pull him up on the comment and point out that it is only egotistical dimwits like Brian Taylor who insist on clinging to their belief that Pyke is not of AFL standard. I guess Roos needs to balance his pro-Swans comments a bit, so I'll let him off this time.

ShockOfHair
8th May 2011, 08:03 PM
Roos did make a pointed remark about how what a success Pyke was but that he received a fraction of the publicity of Hunt & Folau.

Doctor
8th May 2011, 08:23 PM
Roos did make a pointed remark about how what a success Pyke was but that he received a fraction of the publicity of Hunt & Folau.

Indeed he did. He noted that Pyke was paid a tenth of what those two get and how well he has adapted. He clearly has the engine for it and is very skilful. If he keeps improving at this rate Brian Taylor and company will have no choice but to eat their words.

I asked Pykey at a function last season if he gave the ball off all the time because he was under coach's instruction not to kick it and he said he was. He also told me (very politely and respectfully - I'm not trying to get him into trouble here!) that he reckoned he was a better kick that they did and that he wanted to kick it more. I think he has proven himself now!

swansrule100
8th May 2011, 08:26 PM
i do enjoy the canadian rendition of the song as the camera pans around, unrelated to that did anyone see longmire singing the song while pouring over some print outs. Looked like the dad mucking round with the kids while he tried to work.

The thing i like about pyke the last 2 weeks is he is willing to take the game on and take risks, i think he is very confident in his abilities.

S120
8th May 2011, 08:44 PM
I love that BT the other week on AFL Teams thought he was doing the courageous thing by sticking up for Karmichael Hunt (he was right to do so I might add) while completely forgetting the @@@@ he gave Pyke all last year and 2009 while constantly refusing to acknowledge his mistaken attitude. Tool. Good play-by-play commentator but ask him his opinion on anything in the footy world and he's just another Footy Show "bloke" wanker.

Xie Shan
8th May 2011, 09:26 PM
I wonder if Hunt/Folau saw Pyke's set shot for goal. He looked very assured, and he put it straight through the middle! It's a testament to his work ethic as much as anything. I'm not sure if the NRL players will have the same desire to succeed given they are already making plenty of $$$ and are already stars in their native sport. It is tough mentally to have to start all over again. I think Hunt is more likely to make it than Folau, but it wouldn't surprise me if both went back to NRL. And it deprives league of two of their superstars as well, it's a massive gamble.

But, this thread is for Pykey! Canada's most underrated export.

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2011, 10:00 PM
If Folau cant play a Sam Reid role within a year or two I would be amazed - run straight and hard and make the leads.................he can do it ! but in a team of young midfielders it may be too much to ask ?

GongSwan
8th May 2011, 10:49 PM
As a league man, since age 4, growing up at Belmore oval, home of the Bulldogs, and going to at least 2 games a week until I moved to Wollongong, I can't see today's league players taking less than 3 or 4 years to adapt, mainly due to the fitness and endurance needed to play at AFL level. I'm not bagging the individuals, they just have a completely different body shape and training methods. Pyke on the other hand, has some natural talent, or so it appears, and Union is a much more mobile sport than league, as u move from one ruck or maul to the next, constant phases of play. So his engine would have been better to start with. If I were with GWS, I'd be looking at the NSW WAratahs backline, or any super rugby teams backline, not so much the forwards hehe. I like Mike, he has a go, still sometimes I wonder if the experience of Seaby in a young side might be of benefit. I guess if I knew everything I'd be on the selection panel

mcs
8th May 2011, 10:49 PM
I wonder if Hunt/Folau saw Pyke's set shot for goal. He looked very assured, and he put it straight through the middle! It's a testament to his work ethic as much as anything. I'm not sure if the NRL players will have the same desire to succeed given they are already making plenty of $$$ and are already stars in their native sport. It is tough mentally to have to start all over again. I think Hunt is more likely to make it than Folau, but it wouldn't surprise me if both went back to NRL. And it deprives league of two of their superstars as well, it's a massive gamble.

But, this thread is for Pykey! Canada's most underrated export.

Pyke has the potential to be a very good leading forward as he looks very composed from a set shot. I love the progress he has made at the club,and he is fully deserving of being in our best 22. He still has plenty of improvement in him yet but I love watching him play and its been wonderful to see him develop into an AFL standard player!

8th May 2011, 11:03 PM
Pyke's alright. Think he should stay in the team and be developed as a FF/ruck. His tap work is excellent and he is growing in ability every game.

That may force a rethink on Jesse

Triple B
9th May 2011, 09:51 AM
I'm not bagging the individuals, they just have a completely different body shape and training methods. Pyke on the other hand, has some natural talent, or so it appears, and Union is a much more mobile sport than league, as u move from one ruck or maul to the next, constant phases of play. So his engine would have been better to start with....

You do realise Pyke was the Canadian fullback?

ernie koala
9th May 2011, 10:09 AM
i do enjoy the canadian rendition of the song as the camera pans around, unrelated to that did anyone see longmire singing the song while pouring over some print outs. Looked like the dad mucking round with the kids while he tried to work.

Yeah it was odd. It was a half arsed effort. Surely he can join the circle and sing with gusto, it takes all of about 30 seconds.
Now I've got 2 things to whinge about with Horse....Sub selections and a lousy effort singing. But as with all things footy, if they keep winning...who cares.

dimelb
9th May 2011, 12:04 PM
And here's something else Mike can do. The picture, not the article.
Back and blue (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/back-and-blue-20110508-1eea2.html)
And as I said on the Pike/Seaby thread, on Saturday Mike had the highest percentage of hitouts to advantage.

Triple B
9th May 2011, 12:07 PM
And here's something else Mike can do. The picture, not the article.
Back and blue (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/back-and-blue-20110508-1eea2.html)
And as I said on the Pike/Seaby thread, on Saturday Mike had the highest percentage of hitouts to advantage.

But that's not Mike, the paper say's so....

Seriously, they're 0/2 this morning...lol

dimelb
9th May 2011, 12:08 PM

Talk about under the radar ...
I went back and checked the hard copy, and there's no caption for the pic - better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

magic.merkin
9th May 2011, 12:37 PM
That kick from 50 wowWEE! A project no longer, he is competing well on a level playing field with the rest of the clubs listed players. And that's a massive credit from where he has come from.

Hartijon
9th May 2011, 12:49 PM
Was lucky enough to work with a Canadian who was at the same High school as Mike. He was an all round Star ,excelled at every sport and track and Field. That got me on his bandwagon as to me it was just putting in the game time and training time (maybe 3 years) and we would have ourselves a bargain basement ruckman. He has exceeded all my expectations and talk about him being a KPP is not so foolish anymore.Great Stuff Mike!

TheHood
9th May 2011, 01:16 PM
Super happy for Mike. He's clearly got the tools to excel at most sports and why else would he have EVER been elevated to seniors if he hadn't work hard to translate that into a bona fide AFL player.

His game was fantastic all day long at Manuka. I am hoping that in 2011 we can see Mike go and get the ball for himself; get more time around the ground, 2nd and 3rd efforts, marks on the wing and even maybe a bit of space and a bounce!

On another matter; I am not unhappy to see Jesse back in the ressies. He was coasting and I though in general he was playing without the ticker required for an AFL player and a Swan.

ugg
9th May 2011, 01:37 PM
Pyke's drop punt is very solid, ball drop, follow through all excellent. I was very confident when he lined up from 50 having seen his set shots at reserves level. Only problem is he is so deliberate about the how process you can almost see the cogs ticking over in his mind. Which is okay for a set shot as you have all the time in the world but during play he won't be afforded such a luxury.

Triple B
9th May 2011, 01:41 PM
..Which is okay for a set shot as you have all the time in the world but during play he won't be afforded such a luxury.

As we saw clearly when he grubbered the ball from 20m out in the last quarter, injuring himself in the process...

Big Al
9th May 2011, 01:49 PM
Pyke's drop punt is very solid, ball drop, follow through all excellent. I was very confident when he lined up from 50 having seen his set shots at reserves level. Only problem is he is so deliberate about the how process you can almost see the cogs ticking over in his mind. Which is okay for a set shot as you have all the time in the world but during play he won't be afforded such a luxury.

Very true. However he is improving at such a rate that these kicking instincts will come to him. The fact he goes through this process demonstates his work ethic in getting the fundamentals right. I just think he's such am amazing story and is quickly becoming my favourite player because of it.

Triple B
9th May 2011, 01:51 PM
.....is quickly becoming my favourite player because of it.

He's already got my missus hooked. She's pretty pissed that she can't get a 'Mike Pyke' badge for her scarf. They never have any when she goes to the outlets at the game...

Big Al
9th May 2011, 01:53 PM
He's already got my missus hooked. She's pretty pissed that she can't get a 'Mike Pyke' badge for her scarf. They never have any when she goes to the outlets at the game...

Maybe the caption editor of the Age looks after the Swans badges hence the over supply of Jesse badges.

GongSwan
9th May 2011, 02:17 PM
You do realise Pyke was the Canadian fullback?

Thats why I said look at the Union backline for players, whether yr in the forwards or backs, the backs still have to be constantly moving and resetting their structures as the forwards roll around on the ground, going to where the ball is going to be, a useful trait for AFL plyers, no? A league fullback, on the other hand, makes 6 or so runs in a game and drops back for the long kick at the end of each set of tackles, fairly predictable, and y'know, most of the Australian Union backline, are about Mike's size, aand very mobile, which was the point I was trying to make

Mel_C
9th May 2011, 02:42 PM
My brother is a Geelong supporter and was listening to his game on the radio while our game was on. When the radio crossed to give a score update for our game and mentioned that Pyke had kicked 2 goals, Brian Taylor made the comment...."Miracles do happen...Bin Laden is found and killed and Mike Pyke kicks 2 goals!".

Big Al
9th May 2011, 02:46 PM
My brother is a Geelong supporter and was listening to his game on the radio while our game was on. When the radio crossed to give a score update for our game and mentioned that Pyke had kicked 2 goals, Brian Taylor made the comment...."Miracles do happen...Bin Laden is found and killed and Mike Pyke kicks 2 goals!".

The man has the brain capacity of a cumquat...

You were wrong idiot... deal with it.

Ardent Swan
9th May 2011, 03:03 PM
Congratulations to Mike Pyke , 2 good and important goals
go MIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triple B
9th May 2011, 03:24 PM
The man has the brain capacity of a cumquat...

My cumquat is most offended....

ShockOfHair
9th May 2011, 03:38 PM

I thought his coolness under pressure was the most impressive thing. Travis Cloke wouldn't mind a bit of that. I love how after the kick he didn't even crack a smile, let alone do a fist pump.

How about we vote an award for most ill-informed media commentator on the Swans? Call it the BT Award or the 'Brians'.

neilfws
9th May 2011, 04:49 PM
Bugger; we won't be seeing him again for a few weeks:

Pyke out with quad injury - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/113406/default.aspx)

Untamed Snark
9th May 2011, 05:05 PM
@@@@
Poor guy, hope he has a speedy recovery.

dimelb
9th May 2011, 05:40 PM
As we saw clearly when he grubbered the ball from 20m out in the last quarter, injuring himself in the process...
And, I've only just realised after watching the replay, off his left foot. Pretty impressive.

Foreign Legion
9th May 2011, 07:07 PM
Was listening to SEN yesterday and Finey said he would be an obvious target for GWS....does anyone know his contractural status?

I agree with Finey, if I was GWS I would be looking to entice a big bodied ruckman and Pykey would get a lot more dosh with them than us unfortunately.

Bleed Red Blood
9th May 2011, 07:42 PM
How about we vote an award for most ill-informed media commentator on the Swans? Call it the BT Award or the 'Brians'.

Emma Quayle (Who I find to be informed most of the time) in her match report said Everitt has been playing forward most of the year. Dayum Emma.

neilfws
9th May 2011, 07:57 PM
Was listening to SEN yesterday and Finey said he would be an obvious target for GWS....does anyone know his contractural status?

He's signed up until end of 2012:

Pyke signs for two years - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/99622/default.aspx)

And is on record as saying he'd be open to offers, should the Swans decide to let him go. Increasingly unlikely, I suspect (and hope).

Mountain Man
9th May 2011, 09:49 PM
Sad for Pyke, and sad for the team.

A forward structure was starting to become evident, which must be of benefit for the mid field who usually don't have much time to look up and find a target

With one of Mumford and Pyke usually forward and Reid often up there (though he seems to get too far up-field too often in my opinion); and with some resting crumbers and marking Bolton, Everitt and O'Keefe it was starting to get settled.

We have seen the benefit of an established back 6 this year - not the personnel expected at the beginning of the season, but they have settled and gelled pretty well.

Doctor
9th May 2011, 10:21 PM

That is in truly appalling taste.

aardvark
9th May 2011, 11:13 PM
Hurry back Pykey...missing you already.

ugg
10th May 2011, 12:16 AM

Looks like ex-Swans can't escape this treatment either

Balmain Dockers hit the heights - Australian Rules/Footy - Sport - Village Voice - Balmain (http://balmain-village-voice.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/balmain-dockers-hit-the-heights/)

DeadlyAkkuret
10th May 2011, 01:22 AM
Village Idiot.

satchmopugdog
10th May 2011, 08:53 AM
Gee Nick has grown since he retired

Untamed Snark
10th May 2011, 03:54 PM
Real Footy survey for who played the best game of round seven lists a Shane Mumford (Carlton) as one of the eight options.
AFL News, Scores, Stats, Transfers | Real Footy (http://www.smh.com.au/afl)

we should start a week to week tally for gross media mistakes

Triple B
10th May 2011, 04:45 PM
......we should start a week to week tally for gross media mistakes

I'd love to help keep tally, but my calculator only goes up to 7 digits :frown

ugg
10th May 2011, 04:47 PM
Aww the Village Voice corrected their mistake. Now I look like the idiot.

Triple B
10th May 2011, 04:49 PM
Aww the Village Voice corrected their mistake. Now I look like the idiot.

It's OK ugg, I can vouch for the error... :D

Untamed Snark
10th May 2011, 05:11 PM
I'd love to help keep tally, but my calculator only goes up to 7 digits :frown

I'm happy to donate my office wall to the tallying cause