PDA

View Full Version : This is one weird read

Quiet_Observer
11th May 2011, 03:10 PM
Jet?s Journal ? go away hairy Mumari - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/113594/default.aspx)

I suspect Mumari was the reason the ball was bouncing so oddly when it was near Jetta at Manuka

ShockOfHair
11th May 2011, 03:16 PM
Explains the 19 points in a row.

Triple B
11th May 2011, 03:19 PM
Mmmm

ugg
11th May 2011, 03:26 PM
At first I thought Mummy had come back to 'haunt' his former housemate.

Frog
11th May 2011, 03:28 PM
Mmmm

+1

Untamed Snark
11th May 2011, 03:36 PM
Other things have gone missing too. My pink board shorts are gone

Sounds like the Ghost of Fashions Past to me.

CJK
11th May 2011, 03:45 PM
Brilliant read.

And I know how he feels, that ghost who keeps chewing on my feet at night seems to have followed me back from Singapore

Nich
11th May 2011, 04:49 PM
I think he's burn burning the green leaves a little too much.......

ugg
11th May 2011, 04:58 PM
Brilliant read.

And I know how he feels, that ghost who keeps chewing on my feet at night seems to have followed me back from Singapore

The Ghost of Sir Stamford Raffles?

BSA5
11th May 2011, 05:33 PM
That part about feeling like Mumari was sitting on his chest while he slept sounds a lot like sleep paralysis....

AnnieH
11th May 2011, 07:15 PM
Great story. I've heard of mumari before.
I love cultural legends and spirits.
The lebos have some doozies.
Quick. Go burn some green leaves Jets.

satchmopugdog
11th May 2011, 08:03 PM
Maybe he should talk to Tadhg..the Irish have some rippers also.

Though in the case of my Irish Great Grandfather it was the Pubs of Invermay near where he worked at the railways(Next to Aurora stadium now) that took his wallet. It was my grandmother's job as a child to collect him from work on payday before he emptied his paypacket....didn't always succeed.

dimelb
11th May 2011, 08:48 PM
This is a great day for all AFL fans - someone else to blame besides the umpires.

Triple B
12th May 2011, 09:05 AM
I love cultural legends and spirits.
The lebos have some doozies.

Ibrahimumari ???

stellation
12th May 2011, 09:16 AM
He should be pleased it's just with a wallet, boardshorts and a jumpsuit- Mumari keeps stealing the beer from my fridge!

Chilcott
12th May 2011, 09:23 AM
I think he's burn burning the green leaves a little too much.......

I'm with you Nich.

And just imagine how many green leaves were inhaled by the bloke who first come up with this yarn.:)

Yuri H
12th May 2011, 10:55 AM
What a great article! I love folklore and different cultures' fables & legends.

I wonder if my ancestral Russo-Uke domovoi has followed me to Australia, and if he can keep any troublesome mumari at bay. Though to keep the domovoi on your side you have to hang a single shoe outside in your yard/porch/garden, and then he'll look after you (rather than be cruelly mischievous if he doesn't get his, um, random shoe). Better go through my old little-worn shoes & put one out.

... hmm, come to think of it, sounds like after the first Australians were burning too many green leaves, the Slavs were having a few vodka-o.d. hallucinations themselves ...

jono2707
12th May 2011, 12:16 PM
Jetts the evil hairy guy has arrived a bit early - we don't play Collingwood until June 25....

Cheer Squad
19th May 2011, 10:15 AM
Whatever he was going on about previously, this week's journal is somewhat even more puzzling.

Jet's Journal - on board at the SCG - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114203/default.aspx)

Here's his description of the SCG:

"It?s good that it is so wide. Even though it?s short, it?s wide and I love wide ovals because it give you space to run on the wings".

That's all very well and good, Lewis, but you'd be far better off running straight at the goals.

Can anyone imagine another player in another team waxing lyrical about the joys of running out wide?

Untamed Snark
19th May 2011, 10:25 AM
"Franklin from the Hawks is just a freak, sort of like Goodesy, but Goodesy is better"

Wonder how Goodesy likes being called a freak?

Captain
19th May 2011, 10:45 AM
??? In sport, being called a freak is a compliment

royboy42
19th May 2011, 10:52 AM
"Franklin from the Hawks is just a freak, sort of like Goodesy, but Goodesy is better"

Wonder how Goodesy likes being called a freak?

Don't forget we're dealing with a teenager here! They don't talk 20th century speak. It's a compliment to both Goodes and Franklin.

stellation
19th May 2011, 11:02 AM
Whatever he was going on about previously, this week's journal is somewhat even more puzzling.

Jet's Journal - on board at the SCG - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114203/default.aspx)

"It?s good that it is so wide. Even though it?s short, it?s wide and I love wide ovals because it give you space to run on the wings".

That's all very well and good, Lewis, but you'd be far better off running straight at the goals.

Can anyone imagine another player in another team waxing lyrical about the joys of running out wide?
Not every forward thrust presents the opportunity to go straight up the guts, and it's relatively common for teams (Collingwood, for example) to want to play the wings coming out of their back half to minimize risk in case of a turnover- playing corridor football out of defence is a case of "fortune favours the brave".

If the forward line isn't structured for a quick kick, which is not a slight on our forward line structure at all but just the reality of setups (particuarly at the SCG) then the ability to hold the ball up for an extra few seconds allows forwards to lead so it is being kicked into space instead of on top of their heads. I was very excited for the future watching some of Lewis' play on the wings of the SCG last Saturday night.

Big Al
19th May 2011, 11:26 AM

Any winger with speed would like the wide open spaces of the SCG. Gives them a better chance to burn off an opponent before delivering into the forward. His game on Sat night showed that he uses the SCG space well.

BSA5
19th May 2011, 12:45 PM

Seriously? He's a wingman. His job is to run along the wings. Teams can't run it up the guts every single time.

jono2707
19th May 2011, 03:10 PM
??? In sport, being called a freak is a compliment

Ian Thorpe hated being referred to as a freak, as he reckoned that discounted all the hard work he put into training over a number of years. Goodsey made a similar reference to indigenous players last year too. Still, I'd take it as a compliment....

sharp9
19th May 2011, 05:07 PM
Jono2707 your name is too weird...I'm Jono and was born on the 27th of July.

DeadlyAkkuret
19th May 2011, 05:10 PM
Jono2707 your name is too weird...I'm Jono and was born on the 27th of July.

It's a special date for my fiancee and I, too.

Something you're not telling us, jono?

Cheer Squad
19th May 2011, 06:04 PM
Any winger with speed would like the wide open spaces of the SCG. Gives them a better chance to burn off an opponent before delivering into the forward. His game on Sat night showed that he uses the SCG space well.

Sure he does, if you call kicking 4 goals and 12 behinds in 10 games using the space well.

DeadlyAkkuret
19th May 2011, 06:58 PM
I didn't know Jetta was a small forward...

Cheer Squad
19th May 2011, 07:11 PM
I didn't know Jetta was a small forward...

Neither did I.

Perhaps we can try him in that position, because he's not kicking that many goals at the SCG - or anywhere else - in his current role.

liz
19th May 2011, 07:23 PM
Neither did I.

Perhaps we can try him in that position, because he's not kicking that many goals at the SCG - or anywhere else - in his current role.

Nor are lots of other players who, like Jetta, are not playing in the forward line.

Big Al
19th May 2011, 09:50 PM
Neither did I.

What role do you think a speedy winger like Jetta plays in a side??

Hint: He's ranked 4th for inside 50's for the Swans.

Cheer Squad
19th May 2011, 10:29 PM
What role do you think a speedy winger like Jetta plays in a side??

Hint: He's ranked 4th for inside 50's for the Swans.

A pity he's not ranked 4th for goals, if he gets in there that often.

liz
19th May 2011, 10:42 PM

He is ranked 4th for getting the ball inside our forward 50m, not for getting in there himself.

Big Al
19th May 2011, 10:42 PM

You do know that an Inside 50 stat doesn't involve the player physically moving into the 50. I take it then that you don't know what a speedy
winger like Jetta does or what their role is?

Cheer Squad
19th May 2011, 10:51 PM
You do know that an Inside 50 stat doesn't involve the player physically moving into the 50. I take it then that you don't know what a speedy
winger like Jetta does or what their role is?

So what if I don't?

Jetta has kicked 4.12 from 10 games at the SCG.

Not exactly a good return, is it?

BSA5
19th May 2011, 11:04 PM
So what if I don't?

But he's not in the side to kick goals, so it's not a bad return either.

Big Al
19th May 2011, 11:05 PM
So what if I don't?

When you want to criticise a player it would be real handy to know what that players role in the side is. Be like criticising a tagger for only having 10 possessions without examining what his opponent did.

A winger of Jettas pace has the role of carrying the football and breaking the lines so a quick kick to a target in a preferably open forward half can be achieved. Goals that a winger like this kicks are a bonus.

My only criticism of Lewis this year is his confidence to back himself has been down. Though he got that back a little against Port and played the type of footy the Swans need of him.

Primmy
19th May 2011, 11:10 PM
Spot on Al. He has probably been a bit perceived as being down as he himself was/is learning his definite role in this particular side. Carry and delivery to advantage. This would herald a fair change in his position from where he was drafted, but I have been watching him and I think the level of awareness of what his role is now is growing week by week.

Big Al
19th May 2011, 11:18 PM
Spot on Al. He has probably been a bit perceived as being down as he himself was/is learning his definite role in this particular side. Carry and delivery to advantage. This would herald a fair change in his position from where he was drafted, but I have been watching him and I think the level of awareness of what his role is now is growing week by week.

I love the kid and there is so much to look forward to with him. We haven't had a winger of his pace for some time so that's exciting in itself. Also doesn't the crowd lift when he gets the ball.

Captain
19th May 2011, 11:25 PM
I love a good wingman.

Johnny Stevens was one of my favorites.

R-1
19th May 2011, 11:44 PM
I pretty much scream GO FOR A RUN LEWIS every time he gets the ball now.

laughingnome
19th May 2011, 11:45 PM
I love a good wingman.

Johnny was great. Between him, Maxfield and Kelly we had some real speed in the late 1990's.

giant
19th May 2011, 11:52 PM
I assume the Mumari is a metaphor for something. Probably the Man.

AnnieH
20th May 2011, 08:54 AM
I love it when Jets goes for a run up the wing ... what about the one he did a few weeks ago when he didn't "really" have control of the ball, yet still managed to get it up to the F50.

He's on his red P's. Driving ... but still needs a bit more experience.

Watch this space next year.

I hope he never leaves us.

Captain
20th May 2011, 09:36 AM
Johnny was great. Between him, Maxfield and Kelly we had some real speed in the late 1990's.

We sure did. Don't forget Schwass too.

Jewels
20th May 2011, 01:21 PM
When you want to criticise a player it would be real handy to know what that players role in the side is. Be like criticising a tagger for only having 10 possessions without examining what his opponent did.

A winger of Jettas pace has the role of carrying the football and breaking the lines so a quick kick to a target in a preferably open forward half can be achieved. Goals that a winger like this kicks are a bonus.

My only criticism of Lewis this year is his confidence to back himself has been down. Though he got that back a little against Port and played the type of footy the Swans need of him.

I owe you an apology Al.
You commented after the Port game what a good game Jetta had and I disagreed with you.
Now I think I must have had a "seniors moment" for the entire game cause I swear to God I was watching him closely and thought he did very little. But after watching the replay, you were right and he really was good and as you said, got himself into the right spot far more times than I had given him credit for.

jono2707
20th May 2011, 02:11 PM
I love a good wingman.

Same here - we used to love 'Noiseworks' when he'd take the game on...

Big Al
20th May 2011, 05:24 PM
I owe you an apology Al.
You commented after the Port game what a good game Jetta had and I disagreed with you.
Now I think I must have had a "seniors moment" for the entire game cause I swear to God I was watching him closely and thought he did very little. But after watching the replay, you were right and he really was good and as you said, got himself into the right spot far more times than I had given him credit for.

No need to apologise Jewels, after 6 years on this site I was bound to get one right eventually. ;)