PDA

View Full Version : Media do it again

Untamed Snark
11th May 2011, 04:35 PM
AFL News | Real Footy (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news)

Fourth last story-how hard is it to match photos to names?

DeadlyAkkuret
11th May 2011, 04:38 PM
Haha that's obviously Mattner, not Malceski.

CJK
11th May 2011, 04:40 PM
We need a Sticky'ed thread at the top to list this many many many pathetic mistakes

Primmy
11th May 2011, 05:23 PM
+1

Jenny! Isn't anyone at the Swans in charge of media now? Surely they can do something? We have almost no coverage in the game, and even in Qld this weekend apparently the dogs lost the game, but you would be hard pressed to know who they were playing, let alone the fact that the Swans won! What do we have to do! I am feeling more than a little that the Sydney Swans are a bothersome bit of fluff that noone wants to have to deal with, including our very own media department! Respect for our team and its members is not exactly unwarranted!

Rabid Mongrel
11th May 2011, 05:23 PM
Correct, I could pick Mattner out from 10,000 men.

BSA5
11th May 2011, 05:30 PM
Correct, I could pick Mattner out from 10,000 men.

Unless one of those 10,000 was Heath Grundy. That one gets everybody, commentators, fans and journos alike.

Untamed Snark
11th May 2011, 05:53 PM
Unless one of those 10,000 was Heath Grundy. That one gets everybody, commentators, fans and journos alike.

Was wondering who would point that out.

Scottee
11th May 2011, 06:15 PM
They also mentioned it was his second reconstruction. It was his third.

dimelb
11th May 2011, 08:54 PM
This thread could be made a sticky and at the end of the season we follow the excellent suggestion by someone else (sorry not to know the name, don't know where to find it now) on the board and award the Brian - in honour of that serial clot Brian Taylor. It could become a regular feature of our end-of-season awards, along with the TLM.

Primmy
11th May 2011, 09:02 PM
I like it Mr D, I do indeed. May I suggest that the "Brian" by given to BT for his outstanding work over the past years, and honourable mentions to sooooo many others?

dimelb
11th May 2011, 09:36 PM
I like it Mr D, I do indeed. May I suggest that the "Brian" by given to BT for his outstanding work over the past years, and honourable mentions to sooooo many others?
He's up there, but he has strong competition!

swansrob
11th May 2011, 09:42 PM
Maybe we could rope BT into presenting the Brian each year...

Triple B
12th May 2011, 08:56 AM
I guess the page has updated, I have nfi which story I should be looking at...

Untamed Snark
12th May 2011, 09:33 AM
Article about Malceski with accompanying photo of Reg, also misinformation regarding Mal?s surgeries

Obviously we need to keep track of articles as they are published, I can take a virtual photo of internet ones and store them till end of season if someone can take care of the paper media

jono2707
12th May 2011, 10:22 AM
Maybe we could rope BT into presenting the Brian each year...

Pykey could be his assistant when giving out the trophy or whatever they get....

supersall
13th May 2011, 06:43 PM
Wish I had posted it before but it's gone now, the winner of the media stuff up award for the week surely belongs to Real Footy at the Age who listed Shane Mumford from Carlton as a choice in their player of the round poll.

Sad indictment is that I did not have coniptions that Shane might have jumped ship mid week and nobody noticed, but just accepted the incompetence as par for the course. :hmmm

Untamed Snark
13th May 2011, 07:33 PM
Wish I had posted it before but it's gone now, the winner of the media stuff up award for the week surely belongs to Real Footy at the Age who listed Shane Mumford from Carlton as a choice in their player of the round poll.

Sad indictment is that I did not have coniptions that Shane might have jumped ship mid week and nobody noticed, but just accepted the incompetence as par for the course. :hmmm

I have it on file, took a virtual photo

Wardy
14th May 2011, 03:19 PM
Should it be pronounced "The Briarn" - and a trophy be a block of wood - to honour the shape of BT's head?

dimelb
14th May 2011, 05:34 PM
I like the block of wood idea - perhaps a nice chunk of messmate gum. As in "What a mess, mate!"

Cpt. Kirk
14th May 2011, 11:44 PM
Them missmatching photos doesnt piss me off as much as them completely disregarding a good game from someone who has not come from a footy background.

And by that i mean pyke and hunt.

ABloodsMan
15th May 2011, 01:22 AM
Nice little article on Reid here. Sam I am (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/sam-i-am-20110513-1emk1.html)

I didn't know his uncle was part of the group that played for us in 82..

Dosser
16th May 2011, 09:03 PM
I couldnt help but get annoyed by Andy Maher this morning on SEN. He made the comment about St Kilda that they dont like to introduce new kids into the team and that it was something that Lyon got from his days at the Swans. He then went on to say that the Swans still don't introduce kids into the seniors until they have been at the club for a few years. I nearly choked on my shaving cream when I heard it. Fortunately, he was corrected by Tim Watson, however it is symptomatic of the Swans 'blindspot' that the media has down here.

Untamed Snark
17th May 2011, 09:27 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-surgery-for-sydney-forward-daniel-bradshaw/story-e6frf9jf-1226056992063

We may need to start categories; photo/name stuff up, general name stuff up, medical announcement stuff up, media just don?t care about the Swans stuff up?

jono2707
17th May 2011, 11:52 AM
Them missmatching photos doesnt piss me off as much as them completely disregarding a good game from someone who has not come from a footy background.

And by that i mean pyke and hunt.

Don't start me on that one! It's a pet hate of mine, where some people south of the border think that it's a god-given right that Victorians (and perhaps to a lesser extent people from SA and WA) have a natural affinity with and understanding of the game that people not 'brought up' on the game (whatever that means) will never have. It really @@@@@s me - especially when some idiot supporter of a Melbourne-based team tells me to go and watch NRL and that as a Swans fan I have no idea what I'm talking about. These people reckon that guys like Pykey and Karmichael Hunt will never succeed as they weren't playing and watching the game from birth - complete tosh...

Rant over - I'm ok now

GongSwan
18th May 2011, 06:44 PM
The Melbourne media either has no idea or does it on purpose to piss us off, but in NSW it is still rife, the Telegraph has no idea what it's reporting on, and should hire Jim Main, and unless we look like winning a flag get very little coverage. The general public is, however(and I say this as a NSWelshman) largely ignorant of the game of Australian Rules, I had one bloke tell me it wasn't an Australian game???????? and others who tell me it's a girls game, I offered to introduce them to Barry Hall, but of course, they didn't know who he was. I doubt Karmichael thought it was a girls game when he got the full body cramp, and we're talking about a very fit league player. I can see Hunt getting it, but maybe not for a couple more years, needs to change his whole body shape and fitness base. Pyke is already a success, he has a natural talent for all ball sports from what I've read, and a big freakin heart to go with it. I short, the difference between league and AFL, u need courage and strength to play league, u need courage, SKILL, athleticism endurance and speed to play AFL level

ShockOfHair
19th May 2011, 04:40 AM
A classic from smh.com.au.

The story quotes Tom Harley saying Folau needs a spell in the midfield, or in Harley's own words, "a crack in the guts." The unwitting Herald sub posted it as:

Meat in the middle: Folau needs a kick in the guts, says Cats great Harley (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/meat-in-the-middle-folau-needs-a-kick-in-the-guts-says-cats-great-harley-20110518-1et4s.html#ixzz1Mj7T1wZi)

Untamed Snark
29th May 2011, 11:46 AM
Swans pip Roos (http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/afl/swans-pip-roos-20110528-1f9g7.html?selectedImage=0)

That's Reg Fairfax :p

Kirkari
29th May 2011, 12:32 PM
Swans pip Roos (http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/afl/swans-pip-roos-20110528-1f9g7.html?selectedImage=0)

That's Reg Fairfax :p

It's at least a tough one though. Many a Swans faithful has made the same mistake. Not everyone got the RWO insiders' tip about the short sock/long sock differentiator ;-)

ScottH
29th May 2011, 12:56 PM
Go Swannies told me yesterday that Mattner and Grundy is so easy to pick.
Socks up - Mattner.
Socks down - Reg.

RogueSwan
29th May 2011, 09:50 PM
I guess the page has updated, I have nfi which story I should be looking at...
I think it is this (http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/afl/swans-pip-roos-20110528-1f9g7.html)
But the last one "North Melbourne's Jack Ziebell gets a kick away despite pressure from ..." Smith actually gets hands one the ball forcing it up and under, it is in the first minute of the 3rd Q.

wyatt
30th May 2011, 08:44 AM
Apparently Lewis "Peake (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/gold-coast-suns-defender-and-former-nrl-star-karmichael-hunt-says-afl-is-tougher-than-rugby-league/story-e6frf3e3-1226065110098)" was elbowed in the groin by Michael Firrito.

Untamed Snark
30th May 2011, 09:08 AM
Got them both!
So far Fairfax (farFacts?) is ahead but i'm sure they others will do thier best to catch up

johnno
30th May 2011, 10:52 AM
I can see in the near future the footballing media confuse Parker and O'Keefe a few times as well in the same manner they confuse Mattner and Grundy.

Triple B
30th May 2011, 03:41 PM
I think it is this (http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/afl/swans-pip-roos-20110528-1f9g7.html)

You do realise I posted on May 12 ??

Nich
31st May 2011, 04:07 PM
One Week at a Time - Darcy brought up Mummy and Jordan Lewis punching on last year when they bumped into each other on an end of season trip to LA. Mummy didn't really want to give them much but Quarters kind of pressed on and Darcy said he heard that Mummy knocked him out. Dead set these guys are muppets. It happened a good 6 months ago and they want to bring up 2 players having a biff overseas. Talk about the footy you clowns and show a little respect. You could tell Mummy didn't want to discuss it. Low, low grade tv presenting. CLOWNS!!!!

Also quarters called Lewis, Leroy again. I'm thinking they do it on purpose now just to piss us off! Ha!

johnno
31st May 2011, 05:05 PM
I must admit it was nice to tune is to the 2 footy shows on Sunday and see them finally put on some swans players for once.

CH 7's gameday had ROK and Ch 9's footy show had Jude Bolton on.

Honestly couldn't tell you the last time any footy shows had swans players on in Melbourne.

DLBIA14
31st May 2011, 05:11 PM
It was a weekend worth of Swans. Goodes on BTG, ROK on Gameday, Jude on TFS and Mummy on OWAAT. Mummy also doubled up for a guest position on the Bigpond AFL review show.

andyn
3rd June 2011, 12:09 PM
new blog published - looks at media's coverage of interstate teams, especially the Sydney Swans. Touches on some of the points of this thread
The Harbour Views - Sydcentric AFL (www.harbourviewsafl.com)

Footy is national - deal with it

Victorian media need to embrace the competition as a national one. From next year, the competition reaches a new level of nationalisation with more than one team in each state (except for poor old Tassie). It?s another step away from the VFL and like it or not, foundation clubs need to get used to sharing their game with new clubs on the scene

Nich
12th June 2011, 07:14 PM
Swans sail in the wet - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116105/default.aspx)

Jet's gets called 'Leroy' again. This time on the official AFL site.

** They corrected it after someone notified them on Facebook.

Bleed Red Blood
12th June 2011, 08:20 PM
Did anyone else catch Harley call our Reid Ben today?

ABloodsMan
12th June 2011, 09:06 PM
Sure did. They also screwed up AJ as LRT, and Seaby as Grundy.

BSA5
12th June 2011, 09:09 PM
Bird was called McGlynn at least once.

ScottH
12th June 2011, 09:28 PM
Bird was called McGlynn at least once.

Mcv/Shaw.

R-1
12th June 2011, 09:48 PM
Bruce called Hanners Ryan O'Keefe like 3 times.

DST
12th June 2011, 10:10 PM
It was painful watching the "replay" today.

That group of commentators (Bruce, Denis, Richo and Harley) are bored and just going through the motions. Apart from Rich, they didn't really want to be there and it showed in their commentry.

Constantly got players names wrong and spent most of the time talking amongst themsleves about whatever in joke was in this week.

What makes it even worse is you get no statistics during the breaks on how the game is going, even though it's taking them 3 hours to get through the replay anyway.

And don't mention the extended ad breaks, which ruins the continuity as well.

It's a @@@@@@@ disgrace what Channel 7 are getting away with at present for this time slot.

DST

ScottH
12th June 2011, 10:22 PM

That group of commentators (Bruce, Denis, Richo and Harley) are bored and just going through the motions. Apart from Rich, they didn't really want to be there and it showed in their commentry.

Constantly got players names wrong and spent most of the time talking amongst themsleves about whatever in joke was in this week.

What makes it even worse is you get no statistics during the breaks on how the game is going, even though it's taking them 3 hours to get through the replay anyway.

It's a @@@@@@@ disgrace what Channel 7 are getting away with at present for this time slot.

DST

I got around the ads today. I waited till 3:45 to start watching it, and then fast fwded the ads and breaks. I also had some computer network issues(new router) to sort out at home, which caused some more delays.

I caught up to the real thing with just over a minute to go. No ads, then switched over straight away, before the 7 news started.

aardvark
13th June 2011, 12:31 AM
I got around the ads today. I waited till 3:45 to start watching it, and then fast fwded the ads and breaks. I also had some computer network issues(new router) to sort out at home, which caused some more delays.

I caught up to the real thing with just over a minute to go. No ads, then switched over straight away, before the 7 news started.

Yep. I did the same. Its a pain in the butt having to wait till 4pm but worth it not to have to watch the ads and the C7 crap.

liz
13th June 2011, 01:15 AM

DST

Watch the replay on Fox and you don't have to put up with anything other than brief ad breaks during the quarter and half-time breaks.

JudesaGun
13th June 2011, 07:48 AM
I love it how the match report of Carlon vs Brisbane focuses on Carlton's quality and silk across all lines, their depth and genuine premiership chances. Yet when we beat Brisbane at home by the same margin, it's all about how inept Brisbane were.

Otherwise, with every close game it's another chance to talk about the brave opposition - Essendon, North and now the Tigers.

I'd love a Carlton win this week at the very least so we can throw some of this reporting back in their face and force them to acknowledge our performances this year.

DLBIA14
13th June 2011, 08:57 AM
I do realise inefficient kicking is a problem of ours, but that doesn't mean Richmond played any better. Too many vic journalists giving them credit for what? Luckily being in striking range when they decided to match our intensity? It's a joke that they all keep saying, 'oh look how much Richmond has improved, they pushed Sydney right till the end'. Even Damien Hardwick reckons that this game is one they should have won, but let go. NO! It's one Sydney should have won by 10 goals, but almost lost.

Delusions of grandeur. :rolleyes:

dimelb
13th June 2011, 09:11 AM
I love it how the match report of Carlon vs Brisbane focuses on Carlton's quality and silk across all lines, their depth and genuine premiership chances. Yet when we beat Brisbane at home by the same margin, it's all about how inept Brisbane were.

Otherwise, with every close game it's another chance to talk about the brave opposition - Essendon, North and now the Tigers.

I'd love a Carlton win this week at the very least so we can throw some of this reporting back in their face and force them to acknowledge our performances this year.
If you mean a win against Carlton, so would I!

Rob-bloods
13th June 2011, 09:50 AM
I attended the Blues game yesterday and they were not flash at all. Judd was quiet, Waite appeared at the lunch and said he MAY be back next week. If we can turn up properly we can knock these blokes off. Kreuzer looked a little ominous on his first hitout I must say. When Brisbane played any footy at all they seemed to get a goal but they are pretty pathetic. With GWS next year stuffing up the draft Brisbane are obviously doomed for a long slide.

CureTheSane
13th June 2011, 10:04 AM

DST

Have to say that that is pretty spot on.
Frustrations for me?
Ad breaks make at the start of the quarter ruin the game.
You kinda know that when there are 4 ads after the first goal that there will be only a couple of goals in that quarter.

Never been a big Dennis fan, but Bruce has always been cool, until now.
What was the headline? self Indulgent? Yep.

Also, a Channel 10 sook, (and this applies to the close games like the Hawks Geelong game) it is blindingly obvious that they have a countdown clock going in their box.
I hate the 5 minute warning, but if you're going to have it then use it properly..
when they're saying "and that will be about it" it kinda gives away thet there are only a few secs left

Cheer Squad
13th June 2011, 11:50 AM
The tone of this article by Martin Blake is positively anti-Sydney. He sounds as if he's ****ed off that Richmond didn't win.

Sydney nearly misses out (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sydney-nearly-misses-out-20110612-1fzb2.html)

swannymum
13th June 2011, 03:38 PM
The tone of this article by Martin Blake is positively anti-Sydney. He sounds as if he's ****ed off that Richmond didn't win.

Sydney nearly misses out (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sydney-nearly-misses-out-20110612-1fzb2.html)

Not to mention getting names wrong again: Sydney's amazing inaccuracy kept the game interesting. The Swans kicked 5.14 to half-time, with BEN Reid and Adam Goodes the culprits, and finished with 9.21 for the game.

Read more: Sydney nearly misses out (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sydney-nearly-misses-out-20110612-1fzb2.html#ixzz1P7yoo2OT)

swannymum
13th June 2011, 03:41 PM
I cannot stand Channel 7 coverage, it makes me wild. And I will refuse to buy any **##@@ RACV insurance, or those frozen ice thingies. And that man getting the milk is a wanker. Used to have one ad between goals, now stretching to 4 at a time. Can't wait until next year when I watch the lot on Foxtel.

DLBIA14
13th June 2011, 03:47 PM
You know another thing i've noticed, now watching the Dees/Pies game? When we've got players back we're 'flooding' while teams like Melbourne and Collingwood have 'the full press on'. :rolleyes: Give me a break!

ScottH
13th June 2011, 04:29 PM
I cannot stand Channel 7 coverage, it makes me wild. And I will refuse to buy any **##@@ RACV insurance, or those frozen ice thingies. And that man getting the milk is a wanker. Used to have one ad between goals, now stretching to 4 at a time. Can't wait until next year when I watch the lot on Foxtel.

Lol. Me too. Unfortunately I already have RACV.

I also hate the high shot from the light towers. Can see jack squat from that angle.

Nico
13th June 2011, 06:48 PM

Jude Bolton's uncle I believe. Better not give him a bake or your name will be headlines in that footy rag called Inside Football. They are going so bad now Robert Shaw is writing for them.

Nico
13th June 2011, 06:55 PM

Oh Martin, you should know by now the saying is; "couldn't hit a barn door with a handful of wheat".

By the way, uncle Martin managed to get a photo of Jude into the big paper.

ShockOfHair
13th June 2011, 06:59 PM

Haven't been able to take the Bruce-Dennis show seriously since their call on the Swans-Melbourne game last year.
Bruce Mcavaney And Dennis Commetti Exclusive Footage (http://wn.com/Bruce_McAvaney_and_Dennis_Commetti__EXCLUSIVE_FOOT AGE)!

It's not just the fans - Rohan Connolly wrote a column dumping on the Channel 7 footy circus recently (sorry can't find the link). Time for Ch 7 to put those two out to pasture.

ernie koala
13th June 2011, 09:29 PM
I've only read a few posts here, but I agree with what I've read...It was yet another embarrassing, disgraceful call. Inaccurate self indulgent crap...Most disappointingly, including Commetti..spends the entire game trying to tie in his one liners...just pathetic.
While Mcavaney is just cringeworthy.

DST
13th June 2011, 09:45 PM
Watch the replay on Fox and you don't have to put up with anything other than brief ad breaks during the quarter and half-time breaks.

I just can't wait that long to watch the game, even an hour is a stretch.

DST

bennyfabulous
13th June 2011, 09:51 PM
The stupid in-jokes and just talking about themselves is hard to put up with, and now even Dennis is gettting players names wrong . It also does seem that they tend to barrack for anyone but the Swans. It really makes me cringe when i see a Swans game listed as a channel 7 game.

unconfuseme
13th June 2011, 10:02 PM
You can tell that Bruce & Dennis are on holidays when they come to Sydney ... no one up here watches, so why bother making an effort?! ... Harley should know better - he lives up here and coaches the 16's state side - he should know who Ben and Sam Reid are!

Bruce's " ... if you saw him in the mounting yard at Flemington...", would have been mildly amusing if he'd bothered to reference it to Australia's most famous racetrack Royal Randwick, which just happens to be a mile down the road!

I guess if people keep watching, they can justify serving up the same lazy, boring, "amateur hour" rubbish.

CureTheSane
14th June 2011, 02:27 AM
I've only read a few posts here, but I agree with what I've read...It was yet another embarrassing, disgraceful call. Inaccurate self indulgent crap...Most disappointingly, including Commetti..spends the entire game trying to tie in his one liners...just pathetic.

Remember the Commettisns thread?
Lots of people love his rubbish - never done it for me....

BSA5
14th June 2011, 03:43 AM
Remember the Commettisns thread?
Lots of people love his rubbish - never done it for me....

Commetti used to be genuinely, spontaneously funny. Now he trots out clearly rehearsed one-liners. Started to believe his own hype? He was much better when he just called the game and let the funny stuff come naturally.

royboy42
14th June 2011, 01:46 PM
I bought a set of that Sports Ears, so u can hear the umps talking to each other. Aside from getting your head blown off by the whistle in your ear, it's interesting..for a while

But it's not only the TV commentators who make mistakes...3 times the umps called MARK Mcveigh to get a mark or a free!!!!

Doctor J.
14th June 2011, 02:15 PM

Really??? Apart from the Ben/Sam error, I thought the article was spot on.

Sydney were woeful in front of goal, you can't paint it any other way, and that inefficiency nearly cost us. Simple as that. Sometimes people read bias into news articles that just isn't there

chalbilto
15th June 2011, 01:01 AM

Agree totally. I have just looked at the broadcast guide for the game against Carlton and noticed that it is on chanel 7.:frown:mad:

Triple B
15th June 2011, 01:56 PM
Agree totally. I have just looked at the broadcast guide for the game against Carlton and noticed that it is on chanel 7.:frown:mad:

I'm still undecided about flying down for the game on the weekend.

One negative is the current problem with ash or whatever.

One true positive is that I get spared the @@@@ty one-eyed commentary and truly excrutiating experience of ads after every goal.

R-1
15th June 2011, 03:14 PM
I really think Todd Balym deserves a shout-out for his coverage of the Swans. It's a massive massive step up for the Telegraph and the Sydney media in general.

alison.z
15th June 2011, 03:36 PM
Agreed - Normally at least one Swans article a day as well as other AFL ... Buddy and Reiwoldt articles in the past few weeks too

liz
15th June 2011, 06:34 PM
Really??? Apart from the Ben/Sam error, I thought the article was spot on.

Sydney were woeful in front of goal, you can't paint it any other way, and that inefficiency nearly cost us. Simple as that. Sometimes people read bias into news articles that just isn't there

Agree. Can't really see what the issue with the article is. Very unlikely that "Uncle" Martin would be overly anti-Sydney.

Bas
15th June 2011, 08:07 PM
ABC pre-game talkfest last Moonday spoke about the Swans - Tigers game. I didn't know we had Leroy Jetta playing for us.

Bleed Red Blood
16th June 2011, 12:19 AM
On the 7 team, they couldn't even mention the Swans asking Richmond for a Jetta + Rohan for Martin trade. Common knowledge no? They we're talking about Martin, he's having a standout game, against the Swans. Any other game commentators bring up that sort of thing.

johnno
16th June 2011, 12:39 PM

I do the exact same thing. I did it for the Essendon game, the Hawthorn game and now the Richmond game.

It takes a bit of effort to make sure you have a media blackout until 3:45-4:00pm, but its well worth it. I fast forward all the ads after goals, fast forward through quarter time, half time and three quarter time. Dont anser my phone or look at it when I know I've received an SMS. switch the computer off, no radio.

Suck on that ch 7!!!!!

JudesaGun
16th June 2011, 10:41 PM
Can someone explain to my why the media are harping on that the Eagles are flying and genuine top 4 contenders, yetthe Swans have little chance of cracking those top few spots and all that can be said is that they haven't taken any big scalps?

Who have the Eagles beaten that we haven't? Did we not beat them at home?

Jewels
16th June 2011, 11:50 PM
Can someone explain to my why the media are harping on that the Eagles are flying and genuine top 4 contenders, yetthe Swans have little chance of cracking those top few spots and all that can be said is that they haven't taken any big scalps?

Who have the Eagles beaten that we haven't? Did we not beat them at home?

Probably for the same reason that Carlton were magnificent in their demolition of the Lions by beating them on their own ground by 61pts or 29 shots on goal to 18 where the previous week it was all the Lions poor performance and no domination by us when we beat them at their home ground by 65pts or 31 shots on goal to 16.
The silence is deafening in the media regarding our away record this season also, now if that were the Eagles or the Blues.........

Bas
17th June 2011, 12:20 AM
The silence is deafening in the media regarding our away record this season also, now if that were the Eagles or the Blues.........

With odds of Carlton at $1.27 to our $3.25 then there's not much to talk about.

Since last year, the Swans have been consistently flogged by teams above them. Very difficult to see that changing Sunday but it would be nice to experience. At least it will be dry, which helps us a little bit.

JudesaGun
17th June 2011, 12:29 AM
Apart from the Semifinal against the Bulldogs of course when it most counted...

And I seem to remember the game against the Saints was pretty close.

Really, it's only been the Cats and Pies until recently - and moat teams get flogged by those two.

Bas
17th June 2011, 08:25 AM
That was last year and this year add Hawks and Carlton at this stage to that list.

It's a healthy reflection on where the Swans are in terms of the ladder but you can't win a GF if you can't beat the top 4. At least once in the season (i.e finals).

To be on track to finish the season on 5th or 6th with our mostly young inexperienced team, is an extremely good sign for the future.

JudesaGun
17th June 2011, 10:06 AM
So ultimately one off game against the Hawks and a very winnable game against Carlton.

Anyway, the point is that the Eagles don't receive the same criticism and are seen as top 4 material despite being below us on the ladder and having lost to us at home. We may have lost those crucial games but so have they - how are they better placed for that top 4 tilt?

Plugger46
17th June 2011, 10:22 AM
That was last year and this year add Hawks and Carlton at this stage to that list.

It's a healthy reflection on where the Swans are in terms of the ladder but you can't win a GF if you can't beat the top 4. At least once in the season (i.e finals).

To be on track to finish the season on 5th or 6th with our mostly young inexperienced team, is an extremely good sign for the future.

Our record against top 4 sides is poor, there's no doubt about that but Carlton certainly did not 'flog' us. Jack going off was huge in that game as Judd went ballistic after that.

Dosser
21st June 2011, 11:04 AM
At last! We are getting our own back!
Swans couldn?t halt pressure: Goodes - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/116687/default.aspx)
See pic...

Untamed Snark
21st June 2011, 11:13 AM

Swans couldn?t halt pressure: Goodes - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/116687/default.aspx)
See pic...

Saved for posterity!
Also because judd looks so silly

Go Swannies
21st June 2011, 11:14 AM

See pic...

He's got four Brownlows!

aardvark
21st June 2011, 11:16 AM
Ahh Goodsy. When he's on fire he's everywhere....

alison.z
22nd June 2011, 01:56 PM
Preview: Sydney Swans v Collingwood - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116806/default.aspx)

with Jesse Smith and Josh Kennedy among their best players.

Seriously!??!!?!?!?

Sauce
22nd June 2011, 02:33 PM
How about our media dept start pulling up these journos on obvious mistakes? Or is that not what we do at the swans?

It's now insulting the way they keep screwing up names and not caring. Imagine if the almighty powerful bestest club in the world collingwood were to continually have their players name spelt wrong in the media - Eddie would have a heart attack and the pies would make sure they put a stop to it ASAP!

neilfws
22nd June 2011, 03:20 PM
How about our media dept start pulling up these journos on obvious mistakes? Or is that not what we do at the swans?

I'd hope that was a function of the comms people, but monitoring every website for errors takes a lot of person-hours.

Corrections would be easier if the AFL and news websites were not so goddamn awful and had some basic, modern features. Such as moderated comments. Or an easy-to-find email address for feedback. I don't know who designs them, but interaction with the audience is clearly not a priority.

alison.z
22nd June 2011, 03:55 PM
I just don't know how these people get to where they are. As a journo student I am taught to triple check facts, especially names - even if they seem glaringly obvious ... Let alone checking that a player called "Jesse Smith" plays for the Swans!?

bennyfabulous
22nd June 2011, 08:42 PM
What a joke! I hope Jen didnt get paid well for this article.

Bas
22nd June 2011, 10:16 PM
I just don't know how these people get to where they are. As a journo student I am taught to triple check facts, especially names - even if they seem glaringly obvious ... Let alone checking that a player called "Jesse Smith" plays for the Swans!?

You must be the only one taught that or the only one that listens.

I thought it was the editor's role to proof read articles before they went to print.

These days, journolist's don't report news they create it instead.

Smith, White, James, what's in a name anyway............

BSA5
23rd June 2011, 01:28 AM
Who is Jesse Smith meant to refer to anyway? Nick Smith? Smooch was really solid, but didn't stand out enough to be called one of our top 2, you wouldn't think. Who else? Adam Goodes? Heath Grundy? Alex Johnson? These were our top few players.

eggbeater
23rd June 2011, 08:37 AM
Who is Jesse Smith meant to refer to anyway? Nick Smith? Smooch was really solid, but didn't stand out enough to be called one of our top 2, you wouldn't think. Who else? Adam Goodes? Heath Grundy? Alex Johnson? These were our top few players.

OBVIOUSLY jesse white!

liz
23rd June 2011, 08:47 AM

I thought Smith was excellent - certainly one of our best handful of players.

Kirkari
23rd June 2011, 05:36 PM
I thought Smith was excellent - certainly one of our best handful of players.

Agree! He was a champ.

Also, it looks like the article's been corrected.

Primmy
23rd June 2011, 11:03 PM
Here's another one. I for my sins am somewhat addicted to AFL Prospectus. Guess What!!! Zac Smith is coming in for Mumford! Whoo hoo, whoda thortit.
Pointed this out to the ptb, and they couldn't see my point. Funny how they didn't get back to me again when I used ity bity words explaining that Zac Smith plays for another club, and not the swans......gawdelpuss

Dosser
24th June 2011, 10:24 AM
Here's another one. I for my sins am somewhat addicted to AFL Prospectus. Guess What!!! Zac Smith is coming in for Mumford! Whoo hoo, whoda thortit.
Pointed this out to the ptb, and they couldn't see my point. Funny how they didn't get back to me again when I used ity bity words explaining that Zac Smith plays for another club, and not the swans......gawdelpuss

I would be happy if Zac Smith comes in for Mummy...

ABloodsMan
26th June 2011, 06:37 PM
So apparently Mick Mattner booted our second goal in the third quarter according the official AFL match summary :rolleyes:

dimelb
26th June 2011, 09:03 PM
So apparently Mick Mattner booted our second goal in the third quarter according the official AFL match summary :rolleyes:
Idiots. Fancy not being able to pick Martin Malthouse.

Cpt. Kirk
28th June 2011, 12:01 PM
At the 4 min mark of the reply of the 4th quarter, one of the commentators i think it is Tim Lane, calls the horse Tom Longmire.

Triple B
28th June 2011, 12:04 PM
Even Gerard Healy commented on Jesse 'Smith' last night on OTC. Gee Gerard, obviously a slip, but I'd expect better from you.

Not surprisingly, Sheahan and Lynch appeared to not notice.

Plugger46
28th June 2011, 12:41 PM
Even Gerard Healy commented on Jesse 'Smith' last night on OTC. Gee Gerard, obviously a slip, but I'd expect better from you.

Not surprisingly, Sheahan and Lynch appeared to not notice.

Gerard mixes up his words all the time.

After the dreamtime at the 'G game between Richmond and Essendon, he said something like "It was a great game, not because of the crowd but because of the amount of people that turned up."

ABloodsMan
28th June 2011, 01:00 PM
My brother just informed me that last night on the fifth quarter that it was reported that Tom Longmire broke his phone during the Collingwood game.

Triple B
28th June 2011, 01:00 PM
After the dreamtime at the 'G game between Richmond and Essendon, he said something like "It was a great game, not because of the crowd but because of the amount of people that turned up."

Lol.. straight out of the Rex Mossop book that one.

I actually think he might have talked about the 'Richmond v Tigers' clash last night when talking about Saturdays game as well.

I just thought he would know more about Sydney...

ScottH
28th June 2011, 01:10 PM
My brother just informed me that last night on the fifth quarter that it was reported that Tom Longmire broke his phone during the Collingwood game.

How did he break it? Eade Syndrome?. I saw the repaired phone , but missed how he broke.

Plugger46
28th June 2011, 04:24 PM
Lol.. straight out of the Rex Mossop book that one.

I actually think he might have talked about the 'Richmond v Tigers' clash last night when talking about Saturdays game as well.

I just thought he would know more about Sydney...

You heard correctly, he definitely said that last night.

Yeah I'm sure he knows his name, just battles with his words!

chalbilto
28th June 2011, 09:45 PM
Not that I value his opinion, but Mike Sheahan made a statement last night OTC that the Swans could make the top 4 as they have a very favourable draw.
Could it be that we could be getting serious consideration from the so called experts south of the border? Hmmnn.

Bas
28th June 2011, 09:49 PM
How did he break it? Eade Syndrome?. I saw the repaired phone , but missed how he broke.

They couldn't find a wooden spoon when the Swans were leading. :o:o;)