ugg
14th May 2011, 07:59 PM
Swans no changes
Sub: Luke Parker

Power Andrew Moore in for Jasper Pittard
Sub: Andrew Moore

ABloodsMan
14th May 2011, 08:32 PM
Really disappointed at the choice of sub. Thought Bulldogs showed how @@@@ a debut player as sub can be.

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 08:33 PM
Really disappointed at the choice of sub. Thought Bulldogs showed how @@@@ a debut player as sub can be.

Ditto. Terrible way to debut a player.

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 08:40 PM
LRT, Mattner, Jetta starting on the bench.

DeadlyAkkuret
14th May 2011, 08:43 PM
Mark to Mummy not paid.

Grundy coughs it up and gives away the first goal to Port.

DeadlyAkkuret
14th May 2011, 08:46 PM
Great start. The 16th placed team is finding miles of space out there.

Frog
14th May 2011, 09:10 PM
No pictures up north ... 5 different channels are showing the footy - all are Brisbane - Essendon ... That's what you get for living up here.

Would someone mind keeping those that cannot see up to date, please?

ABloodsMan
14th May 2011, 09:13 PM
23-20 our way Quarter time. They should be in front really, we were pathetic, can't kick and they are finding so much space it is unreal.

Big Al
14th May 2011, 09:13 PM
Our pressure around the stoppages and running to space are terrible.

They need a good kick up the arse.

DeadlyAkkuret
14th May 2011, 09:14 PM
3.5 to 3.2

Sydney wasteful as usual and let the Power get a cheap one in the last minute of the quater.

McVeigh has been good and Everitt is just so comfortable up forward.

Port Adelaide look clean and we need to start this next quater strongly!

31 hard at it
14th May 2011, 09:16 PM
Momentum and poise started for the Swans midway thru the 1st Qtr.
A horrible start again this week but then a few nice plays by Goodes, Jude and Bird set up a few opportunities.
Jude's dive for the ball in the contest again outstanding !

lwjoyner
14th May 2011, 09:19 PM
Back line weak again, with Reg leading the way , he does some very good things but also some very bad. We also need to start to kick goals. Not sure why LP started as sub. Need a better ruckman than LRT.
Tried that before and it didnt work very well.

Swans500
14th May 2011, 09:24 PM
We really are terrible....Fortress....LOL...

Big Al
14th May 2011, 09:26 PM
Shaw = New Bevo

ABloodsMan
14th May 2011, 09:32 PM
Wow.... we are so horrible. Honestly shocked at how @@@@ this game is.

robamiee
14th May 2011, 09:32 PM
we look slow and tired...again our inaccuracy is keeping a s@#t in the game.,..
but boy are we terrible so far....hopefully Hporse gives them right old spray at half time.

royboy42
14th May 2011, 09:38 PM
any info guys??sitting in new orleans with a dodgy internet connection..

Big Al
14th May 2011, 09:40 PM

Swans 35-27

Playing awful I'm afraid.

robamiee
14th May 2011, 09:41 PM
we are lucky to be in front royboy..35 - 27 after a couple of quick goalks..but we are not playing well...

Bleed Red Blood
14th May 2011, 09:44 PM
Shaw = New Bevo

For being @@@@ or being called @@@@?

DeadlyAkkuret
14th May 2011, 09:46 PM
For being @@@@ or being called @@@@?

Both.

lwjoyner
14th May 2011, 09:53 PM
Defence all around the ground shocking, our kicking to a redand white is pathetic, LRT another bad one same as years gone by. Grundy improved but he will pessist in looking around side ways when he has the ball, kick it long we turn it over too easily. Shaw another big blunder. Very poor game to watch surely we are better than this and them. Gordon hasnt done much and lewis jetta needs to improve as does hanners. Goodes kiscking has to improve hes not kicking through the ball. Ill run ourt of time to comment if I say more.

Foreign Legion
14th May 2011, 09:55 PM
Very, very average first half by the Swans.

Why is LRT being played as a no 2 Ruckman when we have Seaby?

Yeah, I know he is coming back but he is doing nothing.

Reid looking good IMHO.

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 09:56 PM
Halftime Swans 5.6 to Port 4.3

Most of Q2 played in Swans defensive half. Port had 99 disposals 99 to 82 in the quarter, but somehow we outscored them 2.1 to 1.1.

Jude was hot in that quarter.

Big Al
14th May 2011, 09:57 PM
Why is it when we play crap opposition we somehow get dragged down and play down to their level.

Big Al
14th May 2011, 09:59 PM
Jude was hot in that quarter.

He played alright too...

Swans500
14th May 2011, 10:06 PM
We need a good % boost and that does not seem to mean a thing....evry week actually...

robamiee
14th May 2011, 10:08 PM
Future star Sammy Reid....nice kick..now we need to build on this lead...

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 10:20 PM
Much better. Swans have kicked 4 goals to 2 in first 15 minutes of Q3.

9.8 to 6.3

robamiee
14th May 2011, 10:24 PM
typical; we slacken off and let them back in the game...

Big Al
14th May 2011, 10:29 PM
We play bottom 4 football sometimes...

@@@@ing dumb football side.

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 10:30 PM
So much for the good Q3. Port get their fourth for the quarter through slightly lucky 50-metre. Swans 10 points up.

DeadlyAkkuret
14th May 2011, 10:30 PM
It'd be good to be able to sit back and enjoy seeing Sydney smash a lowly team for once, especially at the SCG with the crowd behind them.

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 10:33 PM
LRT takes a big mark and GOALS!

robamiee
14th May 2011, 10:33 PM
It'd be good to be able to sit back and enjoy seeing Sydney smash a lowly team for once, especially at the SCG with the crowd behind them.

nice to have a dream Deadly

Melbournehammer
14th May 2011, 10:34 PM
why can we never put sides away so i can go to sleep in a relaxed manner

robamiee
14th May 2011, 10:43 PM
nice way to finish off the qtr, however we shouldn't have let them back in the match....

Foreign Legion
14th May 2011, 10:44 PM
Future star Sammy Reid....nice kick..now we need to build on this lead...

That is a certainty robamiee - Reid is going to make it and be a great player. Good hands but he also is pretty good when it hits the ground.

Not impressive by the Swans but hopefully we get a good win from here.

royboy42
14th May 2011, 10:46 PM
Sun is rising over the Mississippi in New Orleans and the famous breakfast at Brennans is going to go down pretty well I hope..I mean, 5 up at 3/4 time..surely!!!

DeadlyAkkuret
14th May 2011, 10:46 PM
Okay time to put Parker on, otherwise what's the point.

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 10:48 PM
Q4 starts. Swans up 12.11 to 8.5.

Parker still in the green jacket.

Frog
14th May 2011, 10:52 PM
There isn't any point to the substitute ... see the stats in the 2011 stats thread. Much better NOT to use the sub and exploit the opposition's instead.

robamiee

yeah i agree..replace Nipper with him....
Reid again..beautiful kick....
C'mon swans put these guys away with a big score last qtr...

DeadlyAkkuret
That's threid!

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 10:53 PM
Reid gets one, then Simon Philips gets one back for Port.

Dosser
14th May 2011, 10:56 PM
Am out camping and trying to follow on my phone. Keep up the good work.

DeadlyAkkuret
14th May 2011, 10:57 PM
Parker on! :D

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 10:58 PM
Kennedy gets big goal.

Here comes Parker! In place of Nipper.

robamiee
14th May 2011, 11:04 PM
How good a contested Mark is Sammy Reid...

14th May 2011, 11:05 PM
I'm stuck in WA, a Swans free zone tonight on the media, please keep the scores and comments flowing, ou guys are my lifeline :-)

royboy42
14th May 2011, 11:08 PM
And mine..thanks guys!

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 11:11 PM
Another goal to Kennedy. Swans up 16.13 to 9.5

cruiser
14th May 2011, 11:12 PM
A 100+ point scoreline and we appear to be burying them in the last quarter. Everyone should be happy now.

sprite
14th May 2011, 11:12 PM
Hanners GOAL - 56 point up

sprite
14th May 2011, 11:13 PM
Hanners another in a minute - 62 points up

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 11:13 PM
Swans on fire. Hanna gets two in 2 minutes. Swans 62 points up. We need this percentage.

Bleed Red Blood
14th May 2011, 11:15 PM
..So did we win?

What the hell! When did that become the score :S I thought it was close.

cruiser
14th May 2011, 11:16 PM
Turning into a much needed % boost as well as the 4 points.

sprite
14th May 2011, 11:17 PM
YEP - 62 points 18 13 to 9 5

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 11:21 PM
Final score: 18.13 to 9.5

Second half Swans kicked 13 goals to 5.
Goals: Reid 3, Kennedy, Hanna, Goodes, Everitt 2 each; Jude, Jetta, Smith, McVeigh, McGlynn, Bird, LRT 1 each
Top disposals: Jude 33, Kennedy 31, McVeigh 28.

JudesaGun
14th May 2011, 11:21 PM
How'd Parker look? Got very limited time but seemed to get a bit of the ball.

How do we fit in TDL and LJ?

Gordon out? Anyone else?

robamiee
14th May 2011, 11:24 PM
looked very composed and set up a couple of goals.....

i do think we need TDL in there as he is a great crumbiong forward and we seem to lack that at the moment....

ShockOfHair
14th May 2011, 11:25 PM
Luke Parker got 4 kicks and 3 handballs in his first not-quite full quarter of AFL footy.

Frog
14th May 2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks to all that provided updates - Much appreciated.

DeadlyAkkuret
14th May 2011, 11:34 PM
How'd Parker look? Got very limited time but seemed to get a bit of the ball.

How do we fit in TDL and LJ?

Gordon out? Anyone else?

Not to mention Rohan, Jack and Malceski over the next month or so.

robamiee
14th May 2011, 11:35 PM
Sitting in 5th now with a 108% so was nice much needed 12% gain in %

31 hard at it
14th May 2011, 11:37 PM
An excellent second half over a rabble that is Port Adelaide.
The Swans midfield got the majority of clearances from stoppages and goals followed.
Hawthorn next week will be a much better test of where we are at this stage.

Was it O'keefe with the ice to the calf at the end of the game?

Nice to see LRT getting a solid run - and a goal.
His height will be needed.
Go Swans :D

Cpt. Kirk
14th May 2011, 11:39 PM
Why was everitt ever put in the backline?
He isnt a bad player when they chuck him in the forward line.
Good to see LRT back.
Kennedy and the old fart what a match.
Mcveigh finally earned his stripes but his kick for goal in the third while gordon was free pissed me off to no return.
Parker looks to be as good as how much he has been talked up look forward to seeing him next week.

Auntie.Gerald
14th May 2011, 11:42 PM
Jetts, Gordon, Parker, AJ, Everitt are gaining great experience and AJ in particular will be difficult dislodge from the 22 and so to Andrejs

Jack for Parker

Mal for Gordon

Rohan for no one right now..............AJ and Everitt are too important now until and or if they slide

LRT to stay

Bird is playing ok right now but a week or two not up to scratch and the young guys dropped from above will be back in two seconds flat

GongSwan
14th May 2011, 11:50 PM

Perhaps a review of yr thoughts on this in hindsight?

aardvark
15th May 2011, 12:03 AM
As far as 10 goal wins go that was pretty average. Having said that I really really like the look of this team ATM. With Jack, Mal and Rohan to return soon things are really looking up.

I'd just like to thank Hawthorn once again for Joey Kennedy.

ABloodsMan
15th May 2011, 12:04 AM
Perhaps a review of yr thoughts on this in hindsight?

It was more disappointment at him not playing a full game. Though it's entirely different coming in with 10 minutes to go when we're up by 50 points.

Mike_B
15th May 2011, 12:17 AM
It was one game till about the 15min mark of the second quarter to which point we were lazy, disinterested and playing with no intensity. Then suddenly the team woke up and realised that if they put in just a bit of effort and lifted their intensity, they would see results, and they got them from that point on - the last 2 goals of the first half and then early goals in the 2nd, and even though Port fought back to get it to 63-53 from there we just ran away with it. It took us a while to do the job, but we did eventually put a rabble of an opposition to the sword.

Cheer Squad
15th May 2011, 01:01 AM
I thought I was watching the ressies for a while there tonight...:rolleyes:

Anyway, we got the 4 points and some much needed percentage.

Rather a thin crowd - just 20,719 bothered showing up. I know it's only Port Adelaide, but still, you'd need we'd get at least a few thousand more...

Big Al
15th May 2011, 01:03 AM
Took us awhile to wake up but when we did we made the Power look 2nd rate.

Thought Jetta was excellent tonight and the big man love for Sammy Reid shows no sign of abating.

Big Al
15th May 2011, 01:05 AM
Rather a thin crowd - just 20,719 bothered showing up. I know it's only Port Adelaide, but still, you'd need we'd get at least a few thousand more...

You're being too kind. That crowd is pathetic. If we don't crack 30k against the Hawks next Sunday then we have a problem.

annew
15th May 2011, 01:13 AM
Daily Tele reporting that Kennedy produced a slinging tackle on Matt Thomas in the fourth quarter that looked dangerous, while ruckman Shane Mumford appeared to charge a Power defender in a marking contest in the first quarter.

Jeffers1984
15th May 2011, 01:15 AM
Crowd was @@@@. Pathetic effort again from the Sydney fair weather supporters. Sick of them.

Bas
15th May 2011, 01:51 AM
Who was the sophisticated blonde haired lady that was sitting just inside the fence in front of the Brewongle stand?

She'd call out "Parker" everytime he ran past and on his way back he'd say "Yes M'Lady".

Very strange indeed.

Bas
15th May 2011, 02:05 AM
Did anyone else notice that about 17 minutes into the second qtr, McGlynn fumbles the ball just out of Swans 50 defence, doesn't know who to kick it to and then he has McVeigh standing over his shoulder POINTING at the Brewongle wing to kick it that way. Looked so bizarre at the ground, I haven't seen the replay yet to see how it looked on telly.

I though McVeigh and OKeefe were very slow in chasing the ball for most of the night tonight. I thought Shaw tried very hard tonight and did the defensive save of the game in the last qtr.

Great return by LRT and how tough was Hanners in getting back up and staying on after the double head knock - creating his own history wearing the No 4.

Did anyone notice Nicksy? Floodlights bounced brightly off the bald scone.

ShockOfHair
15th May 2011, 03:01 AM
Just watched the replay. Not the most riveting game but the last half was enjoyable as the Swans built a head of steam.

The whole team is really playing itself into some form. Shaw was good apart from a couple of clangers.

With Parker's promising debut, Seaby, LJ and TDL doing well in the twos, and Jack and Malceski due back in a few weeks, there's great competition for spots . We're a big chance to beat the Hawks next week.

SimonH
15th May 2011, 03:45 AM
Port's disposal was the worst I can ever remember seeing in an AFL game. I know they keep stats on this sort of thing, and their disposal efficiency might not be the lowest ever, but when you count the ineffables that aren't reflected on the stat sheet-- relative lack of pressure, spot on the ground, option chosen, distance by which the target was missed-- they were just about the scum de la scum. I lost count of the number of times that they simply handed the ball back to us when they should have been scoring.

Not denying that for the first 3 or so quarters Port worked hard in the clinches and occasionally threatened to do something dangerous, so we didn't have it all our own way, and we did have to do some work to get on top. But ultimately I'm not sure if tonight did much more than show that we are able to do what any AFL team should do-- capitalise on rank errors of our opponents, and run a mean training drill.

Although it's worth saying yet again that Adam Goodes remains an absolute delight to watch in full flight. And Sam Reid is a very serious talent.

Quiet_Observer
15th May 2011, 04:35 AM
Todd Balym's actual occupation is a professional knucklehead. He is also missing one of his eyes, and used the remaining one to type the introductory drivel to this story. The fact we won by a large margin was something he had to eventually acknowledge. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/swans-have-port-adelaide-on-the-ropes-at-the-scg/story-e6frexx0-1226055964847. It seems that the words Ugly and Swans appear as the same entry in the Melbourne version of the Macquarie Dictionary.

Yuri H
15th May 2011, 08:18 AM
Horrible start (well, more like just after the start, through the middle, and ...) but satisfying finish! I do wish we'd wake up early and play like that last quarter for 4 full quarters regularly.
Maybe the cold snap kept the crowd down. I'm a total cold sissy (anything under 20 degrees is the Antarctic, man), but still made the effort to go.

Primmy
15th May 2011, 09:04 AM
I would like to give LRT a humungous thumbs up. He rucked way more than I thought he would/could and he was not outplayed that I could see. He moved up and down the ground, marked, and kicked a goal, and this is his first game in yonks and yonks. Good on him I say.

Appeared to me that there was a lack of confidence around the place last night, and somehow it was restored by the 3rd quarter. Some of our seniors and I mean you Reg and Rhyce were awful, but totally redeemed themselves after an embarrassing first half when decision making had become a forgotten skill when they arrived on the ground! However to their credit there was very little in the way of heads down. They all managed to work their way out of the mental slump that appeared to have overtaken the team. Credit to the Captains here.

I couldn't believe Hanners handballing when he did as if he had NO confidence in his kicking. Thank heavens that changed. It looked like a massive training session for the under 50 gamers, and it worked. Bless Big Sam, and those massive shoulders. Eye candy for up high in the Noble Sand, and I make no apologies for it.

oh and one more thing for the tv watchers. It was massively cold. Frosty cold. Five layers of wool clothing and thermals cold. Cold.

erica
15th May 2011, 09:43 AM
oh and one more thing for the tv watchers. It was massively cold. Frosty cold. Five layers of wool clothing and thermals cold. Cold.

So true. Never before, so early in the season, have we filled our thermos with hot soup for warming us up at a game. Usually, we don't resort to that until July. :D

ROK Lobster
15th May 2011, 09:51 AM
oh and one more thing for the tv watchers. It was massively cold. Frosty cold. Five layers of wool clothing and thermals cold. Cold.You will have to come to a Brumbies game one Saturday night.

Cheer Squad
15th May 2011, 10:15 AM
You're being too kind. That crowd is pathetic. If we don't crack 30k against the Hawks next Sunday then we have a problem.

Crowd was @@@@. Pathetic effort again from the Sydney fair weather supporters. Sick of them.

It was actually the second lowest crowd ever against Port at the SCG - and the lowest was back in 2002, when we were having a bad year. Not sure what was keeping people away last night.

Primmy
15th May 2011, 10:44 AM
It was cold. Marrow freezing cold. Reeellllyyy cold. Even my thermos let me down in the latter stages.

Some people must have put their heads out the door and said to themselves, Nup, not gonna do THAT! Settled in before the TV with hot soup and snuggies.

swantastic
15th May 2011, 11:56 AM
kennedy.b1 and hanners were very good.....and sam is guna be a very very good forward and i think once our team gells we will be a very good team and can finish in the top four

swantastic
15th May 2011, 11:57 AM
@@@@ house crowd....typical sydney based supporters.......all fair weather

satchmopugdog
15th May 2011, 12:18 PM
My Carlton supporting brother went to the game. Just got a text and he said KENNEDY was superb and that he sat near Kieran Jack.

Thank you Hawthorn Thank you thank you thank you...you may have risen above Essendon now and are my 16th least favourite team.

Joey is a keeper...Joey is a keeper...Joey is a keeper.

satchmopugdog
15th May 2011, 12:19 PM
You will have to come to a Brumbies game one Saturday night.

Oatlands versus Parattah would give that a run for it's money

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th May 2011, 12:21 PM
It was actually the second lowest crowd ever against Port at the SCG - and the lowest was back in 2002, when we were having a bad year. Not sure what was keeping people away last night.

Port are a low profile side who don't attract many of the Victorian expats to watch. Freo go into the same category.

How many of our 'ever-loyal' Sydney-based members decided to stay & watch it on TV so they didn't get their tootsies cold. :rolleyes:

JF

PS:- If you want cold, the Storm game at AAMI Park last night was horrendous. The wind whips under the roof & makes the place like a wind tunnel.

Jewels
15th May 2011, 12:23 PM
Took us awhile to wake up but when we did we made the Power look 2nd rate.

Thought Jetta was excellent tonight and the big man love for Sammy Reid shows no sign of abating.
I usually agree with you Big Al but I don't on this one. I watched Jetta closely all night and I think he needs a run in the ressies. He seems to lack confidence in himself at the moment and when something goes wrong for him, he drops his head.

We're a big chance to beat the Hawks next week.
If we play the first half next week like we played the first half this week, we'll be sixty points down at half time.

Todd Balym's actual occupation is a professional knucklehead. He is also missing one of his eyes, and used the remaining one to type the introductory drivel to this story. The fact we won by a large margin was something he had to eventually acknowledge. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/swans-have-port-adelaide-on-the-ropes-at-the-scg/story-e6frexx0-1226055964847. It seems that the words Ugly and Swans appear as the same entry in the Melbourne version of the Macquarie Dictionary.
I thought it a pretty good description of the game.
Sure we won by 60+ but we were God awful in that first half and no amount of glossing it over can hide the fact that if we had been playing any other team beside Port, Brisbane and perhaps the Suns, we would have been dead and buried by half time.
I'm happy we won but we were DREADFUL for a lot of the time last night.

Bright point - Sam Reid - absolutely beautiful to watch!!!!

R-1
15th May 2011, 12:56 PM
Feh, it wasn't cold, it was like 9 or 10 degrees! It got down to -7 in Canberra last night, glad I came up for the game and the relatively mild climate.

Do agree though that it was cool enough to keep some Sydney folk away.

ROK Lobster
15th May 2011, 01:02 PM
Oatlands versus Parattah would give that a run for it's money
As mentioned by R-1 - minus 7 in the Capital last night. I just went into the backyard and the dog's water still has a centimetre of ice on the top and there is still a bit of frost in the shade.

Bas
15th May 2011, 01:05 PM
Did anyone else notice that about 17 minutes into the second qtr, McGlynn fumbles the ball just out of Swans 50 defence, doesn't know who to kick it to and then he has McVeigh standing over his shoulder POINTING at the Brewongle wing to kick it that way. Looked so bizarre at the ground, I haven't seen the replay yet to see how it looked on telly.

Had a quick look through the first two qtrs before the sandman did his bit last night. It happened at the 7:13 minutes to go mark of the second qtr. McGlynn was actually on the half way mark and the camera was panned right in close on McGlynn and all you could see was his confusion but you couldn't see McVeigh behind him.

It was a touch cold last night. I was extra rugged up because of a 3 week cold but you could feel the cold through the jeans. The Bum thermometer was measuring close to 10 degrees. :eek:

satchmopugdog
15th May 2011, 01:16 PM
Have just watched a replay of the first quarter and was expecting a shamozzle...it was not as bad as the first quarter by Essendon last night that I had to watch.....I think there was a bit of over-reaction as there were some good passages of play. From the facebook remarks and on here I thought LRT was supposed to be dreadful but he was ok. Shaw was doing his job not the disaster area described.
In fact due to my preconceived notion of the first quarter I was pleasantly surprised.

Bird did a good job on Pearce, AJ is a thinker, Jude threw himself in well and Kennedy was good,very good

satchmopugdog
15th May 2011, 01:17 PM
As mentioned by R-1 - minus 7 in the Capital last night. I just went into the backyard and the dog's water still has a centimetre of ice on the top and there is still a bit of frost in the shade.

What is going on in the Capital??????

When I lived in Avoca in the Midlands of Tassie we had an old Datsun ute ...forgot to put anti-freeze in it..the radiator was frozen solid for 2 weeks.

ROK Lobster
15th May 2011, 01:30 PM
When I lived in Avoca in the Midlands of Tassie we had an old Datsun ute ...forgot to put anti-freeze in it..the radiator was frozen solid for 2 weeks.You might have stumbled on to something here - Paul Roos' hair ?

Big Al
15th May 2011, 01:41 PM
I usually agree with you Big Al but I don't on this one. I watched Jetta closely all night and I think he needs a run in the ressies. He seems to lack confidence in himself at the moment and when something goes wrong for him, he drops his head.

Bright point - Sam Reid - absolutely beautiful to watch!!!!

Just thought his disposal was much better and he had some important touches. (15 disposals at 80% efficiency). Must admit I wasn't looking at his body language closely so if he's dropping his head when things go wrong maybe a Ressies stint will do him the world of good.

Sam Reid has amazing potential and could be anything. I won't be getting off the Sammy Reid train anytime soon.

liz
15th May 2011, 01:56 PM
I Sure we won by 60+ but we were God awful in that first half and no amount of glossing it over can hide the fact that if we had been playing any other team beside Port, Brisbane and perhaps the Suns, we would have been dead and buried by half time.
I'm happy we won but we were DREADFUL for a lot of the time last night.

For as many years as I can remember, the Swans have had a habit of playing to the level of the opposition, especially poor opposition. They were pretty ordinary last night in the first half, and it was frustrating, but had they been playing a better team, they would almost certainly have been more switched on.

Bas
15th May 2011, 02:07 PM
For as many years as I can remember, the Swans have had a habit of playing to the level of the opposition, especially poor opposition. They were pretty ordinary last night in the first half, and it was frustrating, but had they been playing a better team, they would almost certainly have been more switched on.

I agree with what you're saying but will this theory stack up this year against Collingwood. After 5 years of losses at ANZ, I might watch it on the telly. However, I've said that for last 3 years and still went.

The old definition of madness. Doing same thing over and over expecting a different result.

swansrock4eva
15th May 2011, 02:42 PM
Spot on Liz. I was joking on Friday about the crazy odds of us being at $3 to win by 60+ - firstly, when do we ever win by that much, secondly, playing Port in their current state of disaster, I almost expected us to lose simply because of that ability to so comprehensively match the opposition in all the wrong ways! But I was very glad to eventually have been proven wrong on both counts! :)

stellation
15th May 2011, 04:46 PM
Feh, it wasn't cold, it was like 9 or 10 degrees! It got down to -7 in Canberra last night, glad I came up for the game and the relatively mild climate.

Do agree though that it was cool enough to keep some Sydney folk away.

Ahhh, but not all of ONC is sitting on top of a big concrete slab. :)

Although now that I've become a mountains resident I must admit I did suggest to folks once or twice that they clearly didn't know what cold was.

Primmy
15th May 2011, 05:14 PM
You see ladies and gennelmen, the cold thing.....its the 14th of MAY, not even winter yet.

stellation
15th May 2011, 05:20 PM
You see ladies and gennelmen, the cold thing.....its the 14th of MAY, not even winter yet.

Lady, on Wednesday night I was on my way home from the train station thinking "it's a little cold" and was informed that it had been snowing in patches just up the road. And that was the frigging 11th May! :(

GoRhino
15th May 2011, 06:38 PM

As a 30 year Sydney Swans suppporter I shouldn't lower my dignity and respond but I can't resist. I was one who didn't attend the game against Port having missed only a handful of games thru through the years. Good times and bad. I remember less than 6,000 at the SCG. Sydney is a big place far bigger than Melbourne. Those living outside the Sydney metropolitan area, eg 105 kls in my case, find the 20 to 8 start a disincentive to travel to the SCG. If I catch the train, I get home at 1am the next morning. Travelling by car improves the time a bit but the cost and hassle with traffic and parking is for those a lot younger in years.
I would suggest by observation in the Brewongle Stand that there are many members in the over 60 age bracket who are not prepared to commit to travel long distances and the late start.
However, I'll be there next week rain, hail or shine. It's not being played at a crazy time.

nomae
15th May 2011, 06:53 PM
Not suprised by the small crowd - Port are a low profile team, it was pretty cold (though not that cold!) but most of all Swans have been playing mediocre for the past three games.

Perhaps it was something to do with the fact that some people had turned up in the rain for the past two home games and had watched their team get trounced on both occasions that discouraged them from returning. (McVeigh actually apologised about this in the post-match interview.)

ugg
15th May 2011, 06:55 PM
Did we ever get an official explanation for the later start? That half hour does make a big difference to people travelling long distances.

GoRhino
15th May 2011, 07:23 PM
Did we ever get an official explanation for the later start? That half hour does make a big difference to people travelling long distances.

In relation to the Central Coast train, the half hour later start means an hour difference in train departure time ie. instead of catching the 10.15pm to Gosford we catch the 11.15 that gets in at 12.45am Sunday. I then have to drive home.

Thanks Ugg, an explanation would be appreciated and I'm sure this disincentive affects the attendance figures. Maybe even future membership considerations.

ABloodsMan
15th May 2011, 07:45 PM
Was it to fit the foxtel cup game into Fox Sports scheduling?

EMJ
15th May 2011, 08:57 PM
"Daily Tele reporting that Kennedy produced a slinging tackle on Matt Thomas in the fourth quarter that looked dangerous, while ruckman Shane Mumford appeared to charge a Power defender in a marking contest in the first quarter." Originally posted by Annew[/I]

Did not really see a reply. Although I think there was a bit of a response by Quiet_Observer

I saw 4th quarter replay and saw nothing in Kennedy's no different than what happens all day by many other players.

What is everyone else's opionion of Balym's comment in Tele

giant
15th May 2011, 09:07 PM
Tough to recall a worse 10 goal performance than that. I left the ground in frustration half way thru the third qr - which of course was the signal for the Swans to turn it on.

We were godawful against a very ordinary side for most of the night. If we're dinkum about competing this year, need to be way better. If we're making up numbers and getting some time into the youngsters, I guess I'll watch those games from home rather freeze my goolies off on a Saturday night.

ugg
15th May 2011, 09:10 PM
He is the only one, reporter or supporter that's even questioned it. Channel Seven Gameday showed plenty of slinging tackles mostly from the Adelaide GC game but none from our game

Also lost a bit of respect for his opinion when he just suggested that Jetta's soreness and possible out might open the door for Malceski's return to the seniors this week.

JudesaGun
15th May 2011, 09:18 PM
He is the only one, reporter or supporter that's even questioned it. Channel Seven Gameday showed plenty of slinging tackles mostly from the Adelaide GC game but none from our game

Also lost a bit of respect for his opinion when he just suggested that Jetta's soreness and possible out might open the door for Malceski's return to the seniors this week.

Couldn't agree more.

Longmire was ultra cautious with Kennelly and LRT. Eski's injury was worse. No way he comes back after only a half of reserves footy.

stellation
15th May 2011, 09:20 PM
Just because Mal is underdone, ugg?

ugg
15th May 2011, 09:58 PM
Exactly what JudesAGun just said

Primmy
15th May 2011, 09:58 PM
Stella Mal was jumping out of his skin, and is as fit as a malle bull, but 80 minutes was all he was ALLOWED. I doubt Horse will bring him back until he can pass the 100 minute test. He looked very happy though just to be playing A game.

I think sometimes we forget that most of them actually just love playing the game! and the lifestyle is a bonus. Frankly having to run 20K and kicking a ball with the possibility of being pummeled is not exactly my idea of fun, but I like to Watch. But it appears to be a different viewpoint if you are one of Them.

nomae
15th May 2011, 10:39 PM
I doubt Horse will bring him back until he can pass the 100 minute test.

Counting down the days till this happens!

liz
16th May 2011, 02:27 AM
While I am not suggesting Eski should - or will - come straight back into the senior team, he did get in close to a full pre-season before he did his injury. In contrast, LRT had been missing for most of the period from round 15 last year and Kennelly hurt his knee before pre-season really got going.

ugg
16th May 2011, 08:39 AM
Yes that was basically Balym's argument - that he only missed two weeks of running after the surgery.

Bas
16th May 2011, 08:54 AM
As a 30 year Sydney Swans suppporter I shouldn't lower my dignity and respond but I can't resist. I was one who didn't attend the game against Port having missed only a handful of games thru through the years. Good times and bad. I remember less than 6,000 at the SCG. Sydney is a big place far bigger than Melbourne. Those living outside the Sydney metropolitan area, eg 105 kls in my case, find the 20 to 8 start a disincentive to travel to the SCG. If I catch the train, I get home at 1am the next morning. Travelling by car improves the time a bit but the cost and hassle with traffic and parking is for those a lot younger in years.
I would suggest by observation in the Brewongle Stand that there are many members in the over 60 age bracket who are not prepared to commit to travel long distances and the late start.
However, I'll be there next week rain, hail or shine. It's not being played at a crazy time.

Dear o dear you poor old 30 year old. I'm sure we can start a collection for a lap rug for you.

Hear you are, having a go at the 60 year olds in the Brewongle Stand for not going and then you're saying that travelling is for younger people.

Big Al and I sit in the Brewongle and are not 60 although there is the odd day for me. I live on the Central Coast and understand what the 1am home trip means by train so that applies to me.

I'll let you in on a little secret. If you want to avoid traffic and parking issues just get to the ground for the ressies game. Plenty of parking. I can even tell you where if you need to know.

I was there on Saturday night. No dramas getting there and no drama getting home. I'm not sure if you sit in the Brewongle but there wouldn't be any more over 60's than there is anywhere else on the ground apart from the general admin areas.

Lower your dignity? What are you on about?. This is a forum for responding to what people write.

I admit I'll go home before full time if the team is getting flogged because game gone, move on. That's my choice and I don't care what anybody thinks. I'm not planning to go to the Collingwood game because the Swans will get thrashed. I just admit it, I don't make pathetic excuses that it's everyone and everything else's fault.

erica
16th May 2011, 09:19 AM
GoRhino said he was a 30 year Swans supporter - I didn't read that as meaning a 30 year old one.

stellation
16th May 2011, 09:24 AM
Dear o dear x--snip--x

Big serve dished out there, Bas- but are you sure that you shouldn't have read that as GoRhino has been a Swans fan for 30 years, not that GoRhino is 30 years old? I daresay they were including themselves in that circa 60 age bracket, not taking a swipe at them.

I think the extra 30 minutes does make a bit of a hit, and probably impacts on crowds a fair bit. I thought GR's post was actually fairly reasonable.

ScottH
16th May 2011, 09:31 AM
GoRhino said he was a 30 year Swans supporter - I didn't read that as meaning a 30 year old one.

Big serve dished out there, Bas- but are you sure that you shouldn't have read that as GoRhino has been a Swans fan for 30 years, not that GoRhino is 30 years old? I daresay they were including themselves in that circa 60 age bracket, not taking a swipe at them.

I think the extra 30 minutes does make a bit of a hit, and probably impacts on crowds a fair bit. I thought GR's post was actually fairly reasonable.

I agree with you both.
Bas you are out of line with this.
You've made the wrong assumption and Gorhino has every right to put things into the perspective he/she has.

Everyone has there own reason why they do or don't go.

Primmy
16th May 2011, 09:39 AM
I have just sent a precise to Jenny re my reasoning on why the numbers dropped for this game to pass on to the PTB.

Brave boy Bas, what about the other members who are not as fit as you. I can tell you now if you scan the numbers behind the goals under the Noble Stand that the number of kids hanging over the fence was diminished significantly. Families chose not to come because of the late start. Also please note that the number of Moore Park parking spaces are down significantly at present. I had my car at Fox because the car park was not open for the duration of the ressies game, so don't know where you got that statement from. The other game they played on the SCG was not the ressies. Maybe you didn't know that.

I didn't get home until well after 11.30, I live about 20 to 45 minutes out (depending on traffic) and I drove. So to expect people to sit on an open rail platform in the dead of a freezing night to take public transport that has a poor safety reputation is a bit much. And to smugly snipe at someone who is making a point, and a very valid one is poor form.

Bas
16th May 2011, 09:50 AM
I read GoRhino as being a 30 year old then my apologies if he/she is over 60 but following the Swans for 30 years could mean that you're 35 as well.

Night games are difficult for someone who lives outside the metropolitan area and that applies to me as well. So I made the decision to drive to games to avoid the cold nights standing on a very cold railway platform.

However it is a Saturday night and if you don't have to work the next day then you have the option to go and sleep in next day if you can. You can decide not go, its your choice instead of not posting that you remember when 2 men and a duck came to watch the Swans and you were there, make lots of excuses about why you didn't go on Saturday night and then everyone else says - wow he went to the game when there was only two men and a duck! How dare anyone comment against a individual we have never met and know nothing about.

It was the comment about lowering his/her dignity to respond to Cheer Squads comment that made me respond.

Nowhere in GoRhino's post does he/she refer to themselves as being too old, too frail or of poor health. The facts we were presented was too far. too late , too much money.

No where do I say that I am having a go at anyone who is too old, too frail or of poor health. On the contrary, I have the greatest respect of people with poor health (as I'm been through that stage myself) and would be more than happy to give someone a lift and be responsible for them getting to and from the game. How many of you chest beaters would do that?

So before everyone lines up to have a go at me for making a comments about someone else making a comment - read the comments in full and not selectively.

Great to get the blood going first thing on a Monday morning.

Bas
16th May 2011, 09:55 AM
cantly. Families chose not to come because of the late start. Also please note that the number of Moore Park parking spaces are down significantly at present. I had my car at Fox because the car park was not open for the duration of the ressies game, so don't know where you got that statement from. The other game they played on the SCG was not the ressies. Maybe you didn't know that.

Primmy, I knew exactly what games were played and the state of the car parks. In fact Big Al and I were talking about that pre-game on Saturday. I couldn't make the ressies on Saturday because of other commitments and didn't arrive at Moore Park till 5:30 pm and stiull got my street parking spot.

If you arrive at games early, as you do, there are still plenty of spaces close to the ground which are free to park and not that much further to walk than if you park past SFS. However, walking back to the car after the game might feel unsafe. If that were the case I would be more than happy to walk you back to your car to ensure your safety if you ever parked for free on the street close by.

stellation
16th May 2011, 10:26 AM
It was the comment about lowering his/her dignity to respond to Cheer Squads comment that made me respond.

Not wanting to get too drawn into it- but I actually read that as GR was comfortable in their non-narfdom and didn't feel they needed to justify themselves for not attending, rather than being too holier than thou. Perspective is everything! :)

On Primmy's point, I agree that the number of families/kids appeared down to me, in fact when Stella junior and I went for a quick kick of the footy at half time we noticed we were essentially the only ones kicking the footy in an area that is normally full of parents and kids. Unfortunately the later start clearly had allowed a few heroes to get a few extra beers in, and we regrettably had our first real incident of a run in with a few drunks in our time going to the footy together that basically ruined our night (top stuff from the SCG trust security guys to just look awkwardly the other way and get back to the real task at hand of making sure smokers were moved on, I might add).

We live at the top of the mountains now and were bound to PT for the evening, we are fortunate that my family have a few generations of supporters at games and we could stay with them and head home in the morning- if not it would have meant getting home at around 1:30. I've done that train ride myself after attending a game and was fine with it, but took the opportunity to not put Stella junior through it and completely understand if others who did not have that option would simply not go.

stellation
16th May 2011, 10:31 AM
Yes that was basically Balym's argument - that he only missed two weeks of running after the surgery.

It may simply be something the media have been fed, though? This (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/mcveigh-takes-a-glass-halfempty-approach-to-10goal-flogging-20110515-1eocg.html) article from another writer (unless I've misread the earlier comments) contains.

But the coach said that may not be the case for Malceski. ''It's something we've looked at most of the year [playing injured players in the reserves] to give them a couple of games to see how they're going,'' he said. ''But we like to treat everyone a little bit differently. The defenders like Tadhg and Lewie, we need them to play 100 minutes minimum, whereas some other players we might be able to get away with.''

I assume that's probably just from a presser either after the game or at recovery.

CJK
16th May 2011, 10:38 AM
People getting very precious about crowd figures and attendance.

Doctor
16th May 2011, 11:19 AM

I assumed it was for South Australian TV broadcast reasons.

Folks, you can make all the excuses you want but if you're a season ticket holder, you show up. I've sat there in the rain the last two games, and brought my kids this time, even though my daughter's only 6. I never use start time, transport or weather as an excuse and neither should anyone else IMO. There are ways around everything. Parking is short at the ground so park elsewhere or take public transport part or all of the way. It's cold so bring an extra jacket. It's wet so wear thick shoes and bring a poncho. If it's a later start time, organise a quiet morning on Sunday.

ugg
16th May 2011, 11:27 AM
I assume that's probably just from a presser either after the game or at recovery.
Yes that was at the end of the post-game coach's interview and it was a direct question about Malceski. The sentence after that wasn't quoted was something like "We'll have to sit down and see if he needs another week or two...." I thought it a little strange that he said that the defenders needed to play 100 minutes minimum given Malceski is a defender. Perhaps they see him more as an utility who can also play midfield and forward. I guess the point that he was trying to make was that defenders, and by extension forwards, don't get rotated off as much (look at the TOG stats here (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=stats&rnd=Average&sby=tg&year=2011)) but midfielders may be able to play less in the reserves because they spend less TOG on average.

Jenny
16th May 2011, 01:19 PM
Hi All,

The start time of the match was moved by the AFL to accommodate the Foxtel Cup game before hand. We were notified of this change in March, so I apologise for any confusion. Our fixtures had all been printed and sent out by the time we knew of this later start time. I understand that the change in time can make it difficult, especially for those that use public transport to get to the SCG, but unfortunately, this was out of our hands.

There is no doubt that the crowd was disappointing on Saturday night, but the important thing now is to look towards this weekend's match against Hawthorn. Our members and supporters are our greatest advocates - you know how amazing it is to sit in the sun on a chilly afternoon at the SCG and cheer for your team, and we need your help to pack the stands. Grab a mate and introduce them to the footy or if you can't make it, give your membership card to someone else to use for the day.

On the back of two wins in a row, and some great form in the final quarter, here's hoping for a great result this weekend. Not only from the boys on the field, but also from our team in the stands.

As always, if you have any questions or if there is anything we can help you with, just let me know.

Jenny

Bas
16th May 2011, 05:03 PM
Hi All,
As always, if you have any questions or if there is anything we can help you with, just let me know.

Jenny

Jenny is there anything that can be done about the scoring on the video stand above the Messenger Stand?

It seems to go haywire after the first quarter in its attempt to break down the scores for each quarter. It's confusing for regulars but if you have a newbie as I did on Saturday night with me, I had to explain to her what was going on in terms of the scoring. In the end I said ignore everything below the top score.

I'm not sure if the Club is aware of this. If the SCG can't fix it then they should remove it all together (the lines of numbers that is) so it doesn't confuse people. Thanks

Donners
16th May 2011, 05:26 PM
I have to laugh that LRT picked up more hitouts in one game than White has managed for the season. Which one is supposed to be a backup ruckman again?

ugg
16th May 2011, 05:34 PM
Neither. #freeseaby

jono2707
16th May 2011, 06:17 PM
I have to laugh that LRT picked up more hitouts in one game than White has managed for the season. Which one is supposed to be a backup ruckman again?

RIP the 2nd ruckman. LRT v Roughead next Sunday...

aardvark
16th May 2011, 06:25 PM
RIP the 2nd ruckman. LRT v Roughead next Sunday...

Pyke will rise again........

ugg
16th May 2011, 06:31 PM
No incidents from our game were looked at by the MRP.

satchmopugdog
16th May 2011, 07:06 PM
No incidents from our game were looked at by the MRP.

Surely Ted roughed up someone??????

giant
16th May 2011, 07:17 PM

Cygie, but it was all in good fun.

Wardy
16th May 2011, 07:17 PM
People getting very precious about crowd figures and attendance.

Indeed who's to say that we dont get a bumper crowd next week - it all depends on who we play in the end.

As for not turning up, well life just gets in the way sometimes doesnt it? - so I loaned my membership ticket to one of my colleagues who had never been to an AFL game before - and instead I took my mother on her 84th b'day to see Andre Reiu. Acer Arena was nice and warm - even if there was a slight Mothballs type aroma in the air. Mum loved it (and her daughters quite enjoyed it too) and as we dont know how much longer we will have her or whether she will be capable to attending such things, footy, quite understandably gets put to one side. Of course, the situation will be back to normal next week and I will be there with bells on.

ugg
16th May 2011, 07:18 PM
Now that you mention it, he did push Schulz into the post, that ruffian Tedward.

Primmy
16th May 2011, 10:44 PM

No he didn't. don't mention the war

Untamed Snark
17th May 2011, 09:45 AM
Now that you mention it, he did push Schulz into the post, that ruffian Tedward.

Just trying to knock some sense into him

ugg
17th May 2011, 03:12 PM
Coaches votes. Good to see Bird get recognition for his job on Pearce, you would think from Longmire.

Sydney vs Port Adelaide
8 Kennedy (Syd)
8 J Bolton (Syd)
5 O'Keefe (Syd)
4 Goodes (Syd)
2 Bird (Syd)
2 Reid (Syd)
1 McVeigh (Syd)