PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Rnd. 9 v Hawthorn.. (Return of the Eski!)

aardvark
15th May 2011, 12:05 AM
Maybe TDL for Nipper but wouldn't be surprised with a "No Change".

Melbourne_Blood
15th May 2011, 12:10 AM
Hahah, just wrote your thougts in the Parker thread ( TDL for Nipper )

laughingnome
15th May 2011, 01:30 AM
Second game blues for Nipper? Don't know if that means drop the guy...

Big Al
15th May 2011, 01:58 AM
Have to fit TDL in somewhere so I guess Nipper is the obvious choice.

Yuri H
15th May 2011, 08:30 AM
If TDL's fit to come back, they've gotta find space for him. If he can play like he did, we need him.

Auntie.Gerald
15th May 2011, 09:26 AM
I agree we need that extra small fast lead out of the forward line to offset Everitt and Reid and the few minutes Goodes gets up there now .......................Gordon can do that too but not nearly as well as TDL.................just means McGlynn may need to slide back into the midfield rotation a little more if TDL makes the squad.

Aj will stay in the 22 for sure...............so will LRT.............poor old Mattner who has been brilliant this season is in danger due to our push for developing our youth............I think with LRT back and AJ killing it Marty is in trouble with the return soon of Mal also and then Jack as well !

I liked Everiit and Goodes rotating the FF type lead as well..........it is very difficult to match up on as they are quick and a good lead and kick !

ROK, Everitt, McGlynn
Hannes, Reid, Bolton

Bird, Goodes, Shaw
Kennedy, Mummy, Macca

Mattner, Grundy, Kenelly
Smith, Ted, AJ

Bench: LRT, Jetta, Parker, TDL

Stoked that two weeks in a row ROK is executing his hard work..........his work in clearances and clean clearances has been exciting !!

Captain
15th May 2011, 12:25 PM
I hope TDL comes back but will he? They seem determined for him to do something different. Has he done this yet?

Bas
15th May 2011, 02:16 PM
You can scratch Stephen Gilham for the Hawks off the playing list. Has just done what appears a serious knee injury against the Saints. 5 minutes into first qtr

Big Al
15th May 2011, 02:24 PM
You can scratch Stephen Gilham for the Hawks off the playing list. Has just done what appears a serious knee injury against the Saints. 5 minutes into first qtr

I hate seeing injuries like that. It's just such a cruel blow for any player.

GongSwan
15th May 2011, 03:01 PM
I can't see Marty being in any danger, we need the mature defender, he's a big mature body and even when Mal comes back in, he's a running flanker, not a great defensive player, who can cover a lot of ground and deliver the ball well into the forward 50. If anyone misses out it will be AJ, which would be a little unfair I suppose, but on team balance, yd want Ted, Reg and marty as yr defesive backs, Shaw, Irish and Mal as yr rebounds, with LRT on the bench for rotation and pinch hitting in the ruck. I see no room for TDL, Benny, tho he had a bit of a quiet one against port, fills that role and adds defensive pressure inside 50. Mal is not restricted to the back half either he can rotate thru the wing and forward, giving Hanners or Jetta a break if they have a high workload, and Jetta may not be the best tackleer and be slightly built, but we need the speed, he appears to be improving to me, gettting a bit more of the ball. I don't think he was selected as a hard in and under player. It's a good selection headache to have and will depend a fair bit on team balance and best possible match ups I would imagine, when u play Hawks, who plays on Buddy?

erica
15th May 2011, 03:29 PM
I hate seeing injuries like that. It's just such a cruel blow for any player.

Very true, never want to see players with serious injuries. Hawthorn have just lost their ruckman, too.
From
Double blow for Hawks - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=113911)
"The loss [of Gilham] was compounded in the second term when the Hawks' only ruckman, David Hale, was taken from the field on a stretcher after suffering a knee injury in a marking contest, leaving Hawthorn with only two on the bench."

Bas
15th May 2011, 03:32 PM
Gerard thinks that Hale's injury is a miniscus and out for 2 to 4 weeks. So he's scratched off the list for next week as well.

However it didn't stop the Hawks kicking 5 goals to 0 and hitting the lead at half time. St Kilda has gone from victory to facing defeat in one qtr.

I think Gerard described it as a car accident or train wreck happening before our eyes.

dimelb
15th May 2011, 05:21 PM
We've just got back from watching Hawks demolish the St Keystone Kops, whose blunders and deficient skills cost them at least four goals that I counted. We left about 2 minutes into the final quarter. The consensus was that on today's form neither of these teams will cause Collingwood or Geelong to lose any sleep.
The Hawks made their share of mistakes, but they do position themselves well for each other; if the ball has to be moved there is always someone to hand it on to. Roughead did well as a fill-in ruck, Buddy's accuracy seemed to improved as the game went on. Their midfield is persistent, and to run over the top of the Saints when you're down to one fit man on the bench is not a bad effort. We'll need to be on our game.

Bas
15th May 2011, 06:11 PM
We've just got back from watching Hawks demolish the St Keystone Kops, whose blunders and deficient skills cost them at least four goals that I counted. We left about 2 minutes into the final quarter. The consensus was that on today's form neither of these teams will cause Collingwood or Geelong to lose any sleep.
The Hawks made their share of mistakes, but they do position themselves well for each other; if the ball has to be moved there is always someone to hand it on to. Roughead did well as a fill-in ruck, Buddy's accuracy seemed to improved as the game went on. Their midfield is persistent, and to run over the top of the Saints when you're down to one fit man on the bench is not a bad effort. We'll need to be on our game.

In otherwords, we're in trouble next Sunday?

lwoggardner
15th May 2011, 06:11 PM
Don't think there's room for Grundy, Ted, LRT and AJ in defence, and I think we'd get more out of Seaby rucking and rotating forward than LRT. If we're up against two competent ruckmen then AJ out/Seaby in. However with Hale out we might be able to defer that for another week.

Other than that - Parker in the 21, pick a sub from Gordon or the other thereabouts.

JudesaGun
15th May 2011, 06:24 PM
With injury to Jetta and Hawks losing another big defender, should be an easy selection this week:

Out:
Jetta, Gordon

In:
TDL, LJ

BSA5
15th May 2011, 06:28 PM
With injury to Jetta and Hawks losing another big defender, should be an easy selection this week:

Out:
Jetta, Gordon

In:
TDL, LJ

Injury to Jetta? What?

DeadlyAkkuret
15th May 2011, 06:48 PM

Out:
Jetta, Gordon

In:
TDL, LJ

:confused:

Bleed Red Blood
15th May 2011, 06:56 PM
I hope the match committee find a way to play Seaby. If we find out this early in the season how to play with two ruckman that can only be a good thing. And if that means Mumford and Seaby 'rest' up forward, provided we aren't too tall/slow up there, I think there will be benefits.

It will be interesting what happens with our defense too, is Grundy, LRT, Richards and Alex Johnson too much?

I'd bring in TDL and Seaby if I was a selector.

JudesaGun
15th May 2011, 07:08 PM
Todd Balm on Twitter:

"Bad news Swans fans. Lewis Jetta in doubt for next week. Pretty sure he is still trying to walk up Tamarama stairs with a bung knee."

And Gilham likely out for the year - big opportunity to test the Hawks up
front, particularly with Stratton out as well.

Bleed Red Blood
15th May 2011, 07:14 PM
Who is Todd Balm?

Jewels
15th May 2011, 07:14 PM
Seaby and TDL in for me.
TDL for Jetta and Seaby for Mummy as I'm a tad worried that he will have an enforced holiday this week.

JudesaGun
15th May 2011, 07:16 PM
Daily Telegraph reporter.

Cpt. Kirk
15th May 2011, 08:21 PM
AJ out/Seaby in. .

If they take AJ out i will be pissed.

laughingnome
15th May 2011, 08:22 PM
Daily Telegraph reporter.

Exactly. I don't give two figs what the Terror has to say, even if it is the "Official" paper of the Sydney Swans.

15th May 2011, 10:03 PM
I don't think Hawks have ANY fit ruckmen left so that means Roughy will be their No.1 ruck and who know who else to be relief ruck.

That should assist in two ways, no Roughy up fwd and there's a chance to exploit them in ruck.

Might be appropriate to send Nipper back to the twos, keep Parker in for a full run and bring in TDL for fwd line evasiveness.

BSA5
15th May 2011, 11:12 PM
I don't think Hawks have ANY fit ruckmen left so that means Roughy will be their No.1 ruck and who know who else to be relief ruck.

That should assist in two ways, no Roughy up fwd and there's a chance to exploit them in ruck.

Might be appropriate to send Nipper back to the twos, keep Parker in for a full run and bring in TDL for fwd line evasiveness.

Max Bailey was apparently in the bests in the VFL, so could come in for them.

In a way, I prefer having an out-of-form (up forward) Roughead in the 50, rather than in the ruck. We've easily got enough key defenders to account for multiple talls up forward (Reg, Ted, LRT and AJ), and a tall Hawks forwardline will actually help us clog it up and fill space in front of Franklin.

Bloody Hell
16th May 2011, 12:46 AM
I feel like every year someone comes at Marty Mattner.... I don't get it. He is an exceptional defender - each year after more than a few sentences of diatribe I am proved correct. I am not going to bother this year....particularly after that game.

Surprised by the LRT to ruck move....but came off. Next week it will come off again. Let's see after that.

Everitt is a forward. Nothing else.

Parker=Good

Jude Bolton.

Heath Grundy.

Bloody Hell
16th May 2011, 12:49 AM
Jude Bolton will be a commentator post football career. No doubt.

laughingnome
16th May 2011, 12:52 AM
Surprised by the LRT to ruck move....but came off. Next week it will come off again. Let's see after that.

If they do it again it means AJ is secure in the back 6 and Seaby should start looking for a trade to GWS.

Not saying it's a bad thing, mind you. Just that the reality would hit that Seaby is behind not only Mumford and Pyke but pinch ruckmen like LRT, and possibly even Everitt (who pinch-hit a few times for the Dogs).

RogueSwan
16th May 2011, 10:04 AM
I feel like every year someone comes at Marty Mattner.....
it seems like every week so far this season.:hmmm

ugg
16th May 2011, 10:15 AM
Which is very bizarre as it's his best year (so far) since his first year playing for us.

CJK
16th May 2011, 10:40 AM
Todd Balm on Twitter:

"Bad news Swans fans. Lewis Jetta in doubt for next week. Pretty sure he is still trying to walk up Tamarama stairs with a bung knee."

How is that bad news?

stellation
16th May 2011, 10:47 AM
I'd take it as bad new as even those who think Lewis needs some time in the magoos would (I assume) acknowledge he is at worst a fringe 22 player- now if he's a fringe 22 player I think his fourth quarter against the Dogs was very good, and then he started rather well and looked confident against Port. Rather poor timing to get an injury.

Hilly
16th May 2011, 11:23 AM
What do you guys think of Mark Seaby?
I haven't seen any reserves games this year so i can't comment on his current form in the 2's but ever since he was injured last season i have longed for his return. I often worry that Mummy is doing too much and may burn out by seasons end. He seems to be coping with it now as he has plenty of ticker. I don't think LRT rucking while Mumford rests is a good solution.
Any thoughts?

top40
16th May 2011, 11:55 AM
I'd take it as bad new as even those who think Lewis needs some time in the magoos would (I assume) acknowledge he is at worst a fringe 22 player- now if he's a fringe 22 player I think his fourth quarter against the Dogs was very good, and then he started rather well and looked confident against Port. Rather poor timing to get an injury.

Now if it was either Adam Goodes, Shane Mumford, Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn or Jude Bolton, that would be BAD news! Lewis Jetta however is a classic WIP player. One weeks absent will not make a huge difference.

Hartijon
16th May 2011, 12:15 PM
Marty Mattner is probably in the top 15 . He has literally won us a couple of games with sensational defense in the dying minutes of the game. I agree he is having a sensational year.Love it when he goes forward and has a ping too! I put him in the Jude Bolton category; automatic pick!

Two changes needed : Luke Parker to play and TDL replaces Nipper. The question of who should be the Sub? If Jetta has a niggle ,he could go sub this time.

GongSwan
16th May 2011, 12:45 PM
I think Jetta out would be bad news we going to need the speed against Hawks, they've got some quick buggers in the team, but he needs to learn to make tackles stick, even if that's not the reason he's there. I reckon we can clog up their midfield, hopefully keep Buddy out of there if Roughy has to play ruck, Buddy can kick goals from the centre square at the SCG. The Hawks do have some good mids, and we'll have to be well on our game to beat them. I think our ball use is improving, we didn't make nearly as many mistakes against Port, even when they were applying pressure in the first half. I agree with most people, Marty is an automatic pick when fit, super defender, who can take a knock and keep going, on last weeks form, Benny would be the one dropped, but I wouldn't drop him anyway, both he and Josh may well pull out something extra against the Hawks, unless Mal or Bradshaw are ready to play seniors, I can't see any changes, barring injury

Jewels
16th May 2011, 01:28 PM
Now if it was either Adam Goodes, Shane Mumford, Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn or Jude Bolton, that would be BAD news! Lewis Jetta however is a classic WIP player. One weeks absent will not make a huge difference.

My thoughts exactly.....

liz
16th May 2011, 01:32 PM
Anyone know where Cyril is, injury wise? Could he be back for the Dawks this weekend?

aardvark
16th May 2011, 01:37 PM
Anyone know where Cyril is, injury wise? Could he be back for the Dawks this weekend?

I heard on SEN this morning he and Renouf look like being available this week.

Peace
16th May 2011, 02:47 PM
I reckon there could be a very good chance that Malceski comes back into the squad for this round... absolutely amazing if he does.

Who makes way? I guess it would have to be Alex Johnson.... yes he has been good but he is young and he WILL have some bad games this season, i'd rather he have them in the reserves. It sucks, but it is also great to have these dilemmas :)

ABloodsMan
16th May 2011, 06:34 PM
Press conference on the swans site has Horse mentioning Lewis pulled up fine and doesn't look likely to miss this week.

BRISWAN
16th May 2011, 10:29 PM
Ins: mal, parker, TDL
Outs: Gordon, Johnson, jetta (sub)

Captain
17th May 2011, 07:50 AM
I also think Eski may be back. Longmire has talked him up.

In: Eski, TDL
Out: Nipper, Jetta (inj)

Snake
17th May 2011, 08:48 AM
IN: White (3rd tall)
OUT: Jetta (injured)

Big Al
17th May 2011, 09:03 AM
IN: White (3rd tall)
OUT: Jetta (injured)

Unless he's going to play defence then no to White. He was good in the Ressies last week when he went back but clueless up forward.

If Jetta is injured I'd have TDL. If not then TDL in for Nipper and Jetta as a sub.

Not sure Horse will risk Mal after only one week. A few weeks getting his touch right and then come in for AJ who'll probably need a break.

Primmy
17th May 2011, 09:11 AM
Yep.

ernie koala
17th May 2011, 10:33 AM
Given Jetta has a sore knee, I reckon he'll be either rested or be the sub.
Either way TDL seems the logical replacement. Parker should come in for a full game in place of Nipper.
Don't like the idea of Malceski coming in after only one reserves hit out.
Wouldn't be surprised if Seaby comes into calculations to expose their lack of height in the ruck and in defence.

Nich
17th May 2011, 10:48 AM
Would love to see Parks swap with Nipper. Nipper has contributed admirably but LP is something else. Give this kid game time. You can just see the hunger to succeed.

R-1
17th May 2011, 11:31 AM
Hawks aren't going to have much tall in defence, and will have a makeshift ruck division. Seaby in could be a good move.

Doctor
17th May 2011, 12:52 PM
Hawks aren't going to have much tall in defence, and will have a makeshift ruck division. Seaby in could be a good move.

I agree, especially with LRT possibly playing on Franklin. Longmire suggested Mummy would make more appearances in the forward line too so it suggests Seaby might be an option.

Auntie.Gerald
17th May 2011, 01:49 PM
Jetta is supposedly fine now Horse said

sounds like he was sweating on him to be fine also for matchups etc

Melbournehammer
17th May 2011, 02:57 PM
I agree, especially with LRT possibly playing on Franklin. Longmire suggested Mummy would make more appearances in the forward line too so it suggests Seaby might be an option.

why would we play LRT on Franklin. I reckon that will be the third possible move only. LRT is still underdone and has been well beaten by him previously....wasn't there some game where he got moved off after about twenty minutes at the MCG ? And I'm pretty sure he was smashed by him at ANZ stadium in the first twenty minutes 2 years ago but due to us winning in the middle managed to come back against him.

It will be one of grundy or richards for sure as the starting point and probably grundy.

In any case like all of our games the two keys will be - who is going to play on mitchell to stop them clearing the ball now that both kirk and jack are unavailable. I presume it will be Bird and then who will we play on hodge. if we win the midfield we should go pretty close i reckon.

dimelb
17th May 2011, 03:24 PM
Haven't we played ROK on Hodge previously? Seemed to work OK iirc.

Captain
17th May 2011, 03:47 PM
I reckon play Alex Johnson on Buddy. Let the kid see what the big time is about.

Captain
17th May 2011, 04:03 PM
Haven't we played ROK on Hodge previously? Seemed to work OK iirc.

Only once, last year when ROK was injured and out of form. Worked brilliantly.

ROK is a great match for Hodge. Similar size, similar speed, both hard around the ball. A fit ROK will also make Hodge accountable.

Dosser
17th May 2011, 04:08 PM
I reckon play Alex Johnson on Buddy. Let the kid see what the big time is about.

Obviously you have something against AJ... :)

DLBIA14
17th May 2011, 05:13 PM

I didn't realise giving a kid some 'big time' experience is more paramount than actually winning the game? :rolleyes: Buddy would tear us to pieces, AJ would lose his spot in the team along with his fragile confidence, Horse would look like a dolt and Swans fans (the ones who want to see our team win) would be spewing. The only winner out of your brilliant plan is Hawthorn. NEXT!

Big Al
17th May 2011, 06:00 PM
I didn't realise giving a kid some 'big time' experience is more paramount than actually winning the game? :rolleyes: Buddy would tear us to pieces, AJ would lose his spot in the team along with his fragile confidence, Horse would look like a dolt and Swans fans (the ones who want to see our team win) would be spewing. The only winner out of your brilliant plan is Hawthorn. NEXT!

Pretty sure Captain said that with tongue firmly planted in the cheek...

aardvark
17th May 2011, 06:17 PM

Hmmmm.... possibly coaching blunder of the century.:o

Plugger46
17th May 2011, 07:07 PM

I'd prefer we won the game. That sounds like Dawson on Rocca to me.

Captain
17th May 2011, 07:24 PM
A cheeky suggestion has certainly invoked some interesting responses.

One point that has been massively missed is that if our midfield doesn't play well and stop the easy supply then we will be thrashed. However if our midfield dominates then I don't care who plays on Buddy, we will win.

Matt79
17th May 2011, 07:26 PM
Hawthorn's defence is lacking tall defenders particulary Gilham. I would like to see some height in the forward line. Bring TDL and White in.

Captain
17th May 2011, 08:39 PM
Hawthorn's defence is lacking tall defenders particulary Gilham. I would like to see some height in the forward line. Bring TDL and White in.

Who would you leave out?

aardvark
17th May 2011, 09:56 PM
. Bring TDL and White in.

Why oh why? Everitt and Reid take marks and kick goals. Two things White rarely did.

Jewels
17th May 2011, 10:14 PM
Gee, AJ on Buddy and White in the forward line :hmmm

I'm with Plugger, I'd like to win the game thanks.

aardvark
17th May 2011, 10:22 PM
Gee, AJ on Buddy and White in the forward line :hmmm

I'm with Plugger, I'd like to win the game thanks.

+1

dimelb
17th May 2011, 10:37 PM
At some stage it might make more sense to put White on Buddy ... but not just yet.

Matt79
17th May 2011, 11:50 PM
Who would you leave out?

Good question!! I think Nipper definitely goes out for TDL. Parker starts on the bench. As for White...well that is where he may get stuck! I guess my point was more trying to stretch the Hawkes defence. He may not take as many marks / kicks goals as we would like BUT he does take another tall defender and usually provide a contest. The chain reaction type approach...Reid would then have their 2nd or 3rd best defender etc.

GongSwan
18th May 2011, 01:44 AM
Roos made Crouch a great tagger by playing him on great players, I think he started on one N Buckley and got a self confessed bath, but in the end, we ended up with possibly the best tagger in the comp at that time, maybe this was the thinking behind the suggestion to play AJ on Buddy. It matters not, the game will be won in the midfield, and don't be surprised to see Buddy popping up in the square bombing from 60 metres out

Chilcott
18th May 2011, 09:13 AM
Good question!! I think Nipper definitely goes out for TDL. Parker starts on the bench. As for White...well that is where he may get stuck! I guess my point was more trying to stretch the Hawkes defence. He may not take as many marks / kicks goals as we would like BUT he does take another tall defender and usually provide a contest. The chain reaction type approach...Reid would then have their 2nd or 3rd best defender etc.

I understand your thinking Matt 79. However, White has done nothing to justify his spot in the senior side. Also, even if we were silly enough to bring in White, Reid/Goodes would get the number 1 and 2 defenders and White would probably get the 3rd or 4th defender.

With Hawthorn a bit short on for height in their backline, I would bring in LJ for Gordon. Also, would try and find a spot for TDL, but don't know who to leave out, at this stage.

stellation
18th May 2011, 09:40 AM
I understand your thinking Matt 79. However, White has done nothing to justify his spot in the senior side. Also, even if we were silly enough to bring in White, Reid/Goodes would get the number 1 and 2 defenders and White would probably get the 3rd or 4th defender.

With Hawthorn a bit short on for height in their backline, I would bring in LJ for Gordon. Also, would try and find a spot for TDL, but don't know who to leave out, at this stage.
When White has played as a forward in the seniors this year have Reid/Goodes always drawn the top 2 defenders? I'm not sure that they have.

Whilst I know he was far from a star, I think Jesse's struggles in the senior side have been overstated a bit. Being run in the ruck seemed to significantly take its toll on him, I don't think he would have spent more than half a game in the forward line (apart from the last game he played) and he's averaging the 3rd most goals per game for the team. He had 1 game where he had a chance to just line up as a forward (and didn't play well).

stellation
18th May 2011, 09:47 AM
Why oh why? Everitt and Reid take marks and kick goals. Two things White rarely did.

Whilst he was excellent on the weekend and I am very excited about him, Reid kicked 3 goals (in a complete drubbing where his team kicked 18 goals), which brings him to a grand total of 4 goals on the season from 7 games. Apart from a game where he went down back, Sam has basically played exclusively as a key forward and has circa 80% TOG. White has kicked 6 goals from 5 games and has played about 50% of his TOG (roughly) as a key forward.

Chilcott
18th May 2011, 10:18 AM
Whilst he was excellent on the weekend and I am very excited about him, Reid kicked 3 goals (in a complete drubbing where his team kicked 18 goals), which brings him to a grand total of 4 goals on the season from 7 games. Apart from a game where he went down back, Sam has basically played exclusively as a key forward and has circa 80% TOG. White has kicked 6 goals from 5 games and has played about 50% of his TOG (roughly) as a key forward.

Stellation, we may have to agree to disagree.

For a player that has been on the list for as long as Jessie (2006 National Draft), 6 goals from 5 games for a key forward
just doesn't cut it. An average of 6 disposals and 1.4 marks per game is not good enough.

Sam Reid has been on the list for a little over a year. His average disposals of 10.3 per game and 4 marks is a hell of a lot better then Jesse's.

JudesaGun
18th May 2011, 10:29 AM
If anyone listened to Stewie Dew on SportsDay last night, I think it's pretty clear that White won't be coming in this week. he basically said that they had hoped that when White was sent back to the reserves he would dominate and make clear that he was unhappy to be dropped and he wanted to get straight back into the senior side... he didn't dominate so he'll probably spend a few more weeks in the reserves finding form.

stellation
18th May 2011, 10:40 AM
Stellation, we may have to agree to disagree.

For a player that has been on the list for as long as Jessie (2006 National Draft), 6 goals from 5 games for a key forward
just doesn't cut it. An average of 6 disposals and 1.4 marks per game is not good enough.

Sam Reid has been on the list for a little over a year. His average disposals of 10.3 per game and 4 marks is a hell of a lot better then Jesse's.
I wasn't trying to compare the two overall, purely responding to the suggestion that Sam kicks goals and Jesse doesn't.

Leigh Brown seems to be the accepted model to follow for the backup ruckman/forward based on his performance last year, for the season he kicked around 20 goals and averaged about 6 hitouts per game (and grabbed about 10 touches a game)- I think it's reasonable to say that bar getting the touches, which is a problem, White was basically on that pace. It's a tough gig.

Untamed Snark
18th May 2011, 11:30 AM
Who would you leave out?

Buddy Franklin

ernie koala
18th May 2011, 11:40 AM
I've long held the view White should be tried as a key position defender. He's big, he can crash a pack, he's quick for his size, and a pretty good kick.
The two areas he struggles with..
1) Taking contested marks, as a defender in contested situations you are required to spoil not mark.
2) He goes missing for long stretches during games, as a defender he doesn't have to chase possessions, just defend when the ball comes his opponents way.
I think he's physically well suited as a defender. Apparently he played well when put down back last weekend, I hope they persist because he looks a shot duck, as a permanent key forward.

Jewels
18th May 2011, 01:58 PM
On MMM news at 6am this morning, they reported that NickMal would be IN the side this Sunday, not just available but IN.
Now normally I would disregard such reporting, but I had a chat with Nick at the ladies lunch last Friday and he told me that he would be playing 60 minutes in the ressies on Saturday and if he came through unscathed, all being well he would be back in seniors for the Hawks game.
I thought he was joking after the time Lewie and Tiger spent in the ressies, but what Liz says makes sense as he would be coming from a much better fitness base, so maybe there's a chance we'll see him this weekend after all.
Sub perhaps?????

ShockOfHair
18th May 2011, 02:05 PM
Sounds plausible. Coaches have gone out of their way NOT to rule Nick out.

So, Nick in, Nipper out.

Nick, Parker or Jetta as sub.

Keep LRT in to follow Roughead around.

Hartijon
18th May 2011, 02:06 PM
Wow that's an amazing come back. We have missed Melcho with his drilling passes. Too much high ball deliverey without him!

liz
18th May 2011, 02:24 PM
Remember that when Eski came back after his first LARS, he was straight back into the senior team, by-passing the reserves altogether.

The sub rule might have changed things slightly, but it is evident from the way Longmire's face lights up when he talks about Eski's 70 minutes at the weekend just how highly he is rated.

Peace
18th May 2011, 02:44 PM
I'm somewhat excited.....

jono2707
18th May 2011, 02:51 PM
Remember that when Eski came back after his first LARS, he was straight back into the senior team, by-passing the reserves altogether.

The sub rule might have changed things slightly, but it is evident from the way Longmire's face lights up when he talks about Eski's 70 minutes at the weekend just how highly he is rated.

I also remember he took quite a while to find form and confidence after his first LARS, so I hope that doesnt happen again. However I wouldn't have high expectations of him just yet - I will be happy enough to see him run out on the field on Sunday if he's named in the team....

Primmy
18th May 2011, 03:08 PM
I have never seen Mal look so confident. If they decide to name him, it wouldn't worry me a bit.

Untamed Snark
18th May 2011, 03:13 PM
I also remember he took quite a while to find form and confidence after his first LARS, so I hope that doesnt happen again. However I wouldn't have high expectations of him just yet - I will be happy enough to see him run out on the field on Sunday if he's named in the team....

Only a guess but this time around he knows what to expect recovery wise so will have a much better idea of if he is ready to return

ernie koala
18th May 2011, 03:17 PM
I'm somewhat excited.....

I'm not..When he's up and going he's a fabulous player with exceptional delivery, but I'm apprehensive about his immediate return in such a high stakes game. He was ordinary at best when he came back last time, he avoided physical contests and hardly laid a tackle, and turned the ball over a lot by his standards. It took him a long time to get his confidence and start playing up to his usual standard.
Maybe this being his 2nd one he'll respond differently, but I would of thought 2 or 3 more games in the 2's to really test him out, and get his fitness and confidence in the knee to 100%, would be more appropriate.

Triple B
18th May 2011, 03:26 PM
I'm a bit apprehensive because I'm not sure we desperately need him at the minute, the backline has been our true shining light so far this year.

I suspect having no ressies this week has stymied the club somewhat, they probably really want to get some gametime in him and bring him up to speed but if it is this week, they have no option but to play him in the seniors.

I'm a bit que sera sera about it. If he plays, well and good because I love the guy, but if not, I'm sure the club knows whats best.

Jewels
18th May 2011, 03:40 PM
I'm a bit apprehensive because I'm not sure we desperately need him at the minute, the backline has been our true shining light so far this year.

I suspect having no ressies this week has stymied the club somewhat, they probably really want to get some gametime in him and bring him up to speed but if it is this week, they have no option but to play him in the seniors.
I'm a bit que sera sera about it. If he plays, well and good because I love the guy, but if not, I'm sure the club knows whats best.

That was why I thought that they might try him as the sub, gives him a run in seniors whilst also seeing how he handles the pressure this time around.

CJK
18th May 2011, 03:45 PM
No really changes related, but I just bought the 200th Red Zone member pass

I bought the 118th and 119th this time last week for the Port game so I think that means we're in for a bigger crowd, which will please 'that' bunch.

That's 5 people I've brought the to the last 3 games. Hold your applause. OK, keep going then.

Untamed Snark
18th May 2011, 03:52 PM
No really changes related, but I just bought the 200th Red Zone member pass

I bought the 118th and 119th this time last week for the Port game so I think that means we're in for a bigger crowd, which will please 'that' bunch.

That's 5 people I've brought the to the last 3 games. Hold your applause. OK, keep going then.

Unless number 200 follows directlt on from last week's numbering...

CJK
18th May 2011, 03:59 PM
:D

Very good.

GongSwan
18th May 2011, 04:37 PM
I've long held the view White should be tried as a key position defender. He's big, he can crash a pack, he's quick for his size, and a pretty good kick.
The two areas he struggles with..
1) Taking contested marks, as a defender in contested situations you are required to spoil not mark.
2) He goes missing for long stretches during games, as a defender he doesn't have to chase possessions, just defend when the ball comes his opponents way.
I think he's physically well suited as a defender. Apparently he played well when put down back last weekend, I hope they persist because he looks a shot duck, as a permanent key forward.

Yep, I couldn't agree more, and I've said b4, going back can sometimes teach a player how to read the ball better as a forward, it's certainly worth a try, we're not getting much out of a player who showed a lot of promise. He might be in line for a trade to GWS for a good draft pick?

BeeEmmAre
18th May 2011, 05:06 PM
I'm bringing four this week. Unfortunately, at least three will be barracking for the enemy. However, only one is a genuine Hawthorn supporter. Another I have hopes of converting from the other game.

Bleed Red Blood
18th May 2011, 05:10 PM

Is it at all possible that the Swans can apply to the SFL to throw someone in for a game?

Auntie.Gerald
18th May 2011, 08:41 PM
im keen as we have 21 other players on the up for him to lean on and they will rise up at the SCG this weekend !!!

giant
18th May 2011, 09:35 PM
Any word on Rohan's injury? The club seems to be a bit coy about this.

ernie koala
18th May 2011, 11:27 PM
Any word on Rohan's injury? The club seems to be a bit coy about this.

Yeah, that dreaded word....."indefinite"... makes me think we won't be seeing him anytime soon.

dimelb
19th May 2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah, that dreaded word....."indefinite"... makes me think we won't be seeing him anytime soon.
And for an injury in the GYM! Bugger!

DeadlyAkkuret
19th May 2011, 01:07 AM
Word is that Rohan's injury isn't as bad as first thought, despite his indefinite tag.

liz
19th May 2011, 02:46 AM
I take the indefinite in Rohan;s case to be "can't put a time on it" rather than "long term". Matt Cameron is pretty positive about his progress in this week's injury wrap.

Slade
19th May 2011, 09:44 AM
I think we will see Grundy on Buddy - he did pretty well last year whilst the game was on the line, Buddy kicked three of his four goals in junk time in the last quarter.

For my predictions of team changes I think they will bring Mal in for Nipper and use Mal as the sub. The only other in I can see is TDL but who is he going to replace - maybe Jetta who has not contributed much over the last four games but as TDL and Jetta play different roles it is not a straight swap so may not work in the team plan.

ShockOfHair
19th May 2011, 01:17 PM
Any ideas on matchups? Something like:

Grundy on Buddy
ROK on Hodge
JPK on Mitchell
Shaw on Rioli
LRT, Ted share the load on Roughead in the forward line.

Hartijon
19th May 2011, 01:58 PM
Mal coming in makes team selection harder. The backline is strong already so his return would have a neutral effect until he hits his straps which surely would not be the first game after a long break.Some suggest using him as a sub but coming on for a limited time may make him overcommit his body rather than relax back into his role.
His return makes it harder for TDL to get picked although we need a sharp shooter like him rather desperately I would argue.The question of who to drop then looms as a really hard choice. Nipper? is perhaps the only one you could 1/2 justify. Someone will be unlucky if TDL is selected as well.
White in defence? With AJ playing well and LJ coming on in defense,LRT back,Reg,Shaw,Smith and Marty playing well we are not exactly short in this area. IMO its a Vespa situation,we have invested a lot already,we have genuinely tried him ,it didn't work, give the kid another chance to make it somewhere else. It might be him it might be the club who knows?

magic.merkin
19th May 2011, 02:10 PM
Mal coming in makes team selection harder. The backline is strong already so his return would have a neutral effect until he hits his straps which surely would not be the first game after a long break.Some suggest using him as a sub but coming on for a limited time may make him overcommit his body rather than relax back into his role.
His return makes it harder for TDL to get picked although we need a sharp shooter like him rather desperately I would argue.The question of who to drop then looms as a really hard choice. Nipper? is perhaps the only one you could 1/2 justify. Someone will be unlucky if TDL is selected as well.
White in defence? With AJ playing well and LJ coming on in defense,LRT back,Reg,Shaw,Smith and Marty playing well we are not exactly short in this area. IMO its a Vespa situation,we have invested a lot already,we have genuinely tried him ,it didn't work, give the kid another chance to make it somewhere else. It might be him it might be the club who knows?

you lost me, who do you want to let go?

Hartijon
19th May 2011, 02:20 PM
you lost me, who do you want to let go?

White

Mr Magoo
19th May 2011, 03:45 PM
White

Your kidding arent you. They would be mad to let go of a 23 yr old key position prospect. I accept he hasnt so far turned out to be as good as hoped but he is still very young for a big man and has a lot of up side.

You cant compare him to Vezpremi who obviously had some issues adapting to the requirements of an AFL footballer.

Big Al
19th May 2011, 03:59 PM
Your kidding arent you. They would be mad to let go of a 23 yr old key position prospect. I accept he hasnt so far turned out to be as good as hoped but he is still very young for a big man and has a lot of up side.

You cant compare him to Vezpremi who obviously had some issues adapting to the requirements of an AFL footballer.

As much as it pains me to agree with Hartijon ;) I think Jesse will be traded unless he can be slotted into the defence because as a forward he is utterly clueless. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes the player we all think he can be.

Hartijon
19th May 2011, 04:08 PM
As much as it pains me to agree with Hartijon ;) I think Jesse will be traded unless he can be slotted into the defence because as a forward he is utterly clueless. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes the player we all think he can be.

If you agree with me Big Al I think I maybe need to rethink my opinion!;)

However I feel it is "Forward or nothing" for White. Just imagine he was now an experienced backman.Who would you drop from our backline to slot him in? My answer is nobody! I hope he proves me wrong too but I have been saying this for a very long time.With his recognised upside of being 23years old and having a lot of onfield "experience" give him a chance to resurrect his career and the Club a chance to draft someone else.

Captain
19th May 2011, 04:12 PM

I can't see him playing in defence.

We have Ted, Grundy, LRT and Johnson as key defenders with LJ also being groomed to play there. No need to add White to the mix.

He needs to be played in the seniors as a forward, not as a forward cum ruckman.

Primmy
19th May 2011, 05:19 PM
Poor dear Jesse; if only he had as much faith in himself as everyone else does. He is a popular player amongst the team mates and most of us are urging him on and obviously have more faith in him than we had in say, Cheese. Its kind of a case of use yelling at him Do It, Just DO It, and him listening to us.....

ernie koala
19th May 2011, 05:27 PM
I can't see him playing in defence.

We have Ted, Grundy, LRT and Johnson as key defenders with LJ also being groomed to play there. No need to add White to the mix.

He needs to be played in the seniors as a forward, not as a forward cum ruckman.

The swans can't rely on these 4 tallish defenders to be fit and in form every week of the season, the more depth the better in all positions.
White thus far just hasn't developed into a consistent forward, and he is no good in the ruck.
As I said earlier, he has all the physical attributes to be a key defender, a position where his weaknesses as a forward would be irrelevant. ie contested marking, going missing
Given where he is at right now, there is nothing to loose in trying him out in defence in the 2's for an extended period. It may just work.

ugg
19th May 2011, 05:59 PM
Still waiting for the full changes, but the Eski is back!!!

Aaron
19th May 2011, 06:00 PM
Confirmed. Nick in for Nathan

ugg
19th May 2011, 06:04 PM
Sydney Swans
B: Rhyce Shaw, Ted Richards, Alex Johnson
HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Heath Grundy, Nicholas Smith
C: Nick Malceski, Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid, Josh P. Kennedy
F: Andrejs Everitt, Adam Goodes, Ryan O'Keefe
Foll: Shane Mumford, Craig Bird, Daniel Hannebery

I/C: Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Martin Mattner, Brett Meredith, Lewis Johnston, Mark Seaby, Lewis Jetta, Luke Parker

In: Nick Malceski, Brett Meredith, Lewis Johnston, Mark Seaby
Out: Nathan Gordon

New: Lewis Johnston (North Adelaide (SA))
Milestones: Shane Mumford - 50 games

Hawthorn
B: Brent Guerra, Thomas Murphy, Paul Puopolo
HB: Matt Suckling, Josh Gibson, Grant Birchall
C: Shane Savage, Sam Mitchell, Chance Bateman
HF: Brendan Whitecross, Luke Hodge, Liam Shiels
F: Michael Osborne, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli
Foll: Jarryd Roughead, Shaun Burgoyne, Brad Sewell

I/C: Max Bailey, Rick Ladson, Jordan Lewis, Clinton Young, Ryan Schoenmakers, Jordan Lisle, Luke Breust

In: Max Bailey, Rick Ladson, Clinton Young, Cyril Rioli, Ryan Schoenmakers, Jordan Lisle
Out: Stephen Gilham (Knee), David Hale (Knee), Isaac Smith (Soreness)

New: Jordan Lisle (Blackburn/Carey Grammar/Oakleigh Chargers)

Nich
19th May 2011, 06:06 PM
I predict one Ben McGlynn to absolutely wreak havoc this Sunday. He'll kick 5.

dimelb
19th May 2011, 06:06 PM
The swans can't rely on these 4 tallish defenders to be fit and in form every week of the season, the more depth the better in all positions.
White thus far just hasn't developed into a consistent forward, and he is no good in the ruck.
As I said earlier, he has all the physical attributes to be a key defender, a position where his weaknesses as a forward would be irrelevant. ie contested marking, going missing
Given where he is at right now, there is nothing to loose in trying him out in defence in the 2's for an extended period. It may just work.
I'd like to keep Jesse, but I have to agree with this assessment. Keep him going as a backman for a while. Even if we do have to trade him (and I hope it doesn't come to that), he'll be worth more anyway.

JudesaGun
19th May 2011, 06:08 PM
Please give us this bench:

LRT Mattner LJ Parker

ernie koala
19th May 2011, 06:24 PM
After 70 mins in a reserves romp, Mal comes straight back in to a high stakes game against a hardened, hard tackling opponent...I don't like it.
Can't even find a place in the squad for TDL?

ScottH
19th May 2011, 06:26 PM
I predict one Ben McGlynn to absolutely wreak havoc this Sunday. He'll kick 5.

And Joey to dominate the clearances!!

Aaron
19th May 2011, 06:28 PM
Not happy that TDL is not selected, not even in the 25!!

Peace
19th May 2011, 06:31 PM
And Joey to dominate the clearances!!

I will be so stoked if.... no WHEN Kennedy ends this weekends game with more possessions and clearances than Mitchell, Sewell and Hodge :D

edit: totally ok with Malceski coming in this early, artificial ligament is no stronger/weaker today as it was when they put it in there 11 weeks ago, he's had a full pre-season and only missed out on 4 weeks running, i'm very confident he will run out this game and make a positive contribution to the team.

bit suprised about LJ getting a call up before TDL when TDL has been firing in the reserves.... my guess is LJ will be the Sub as i think he would make a better one than TDL.

Melbourne_Blood
19th May 2011, 06:53 PM
A few people suggesting LJ gets a game ( which I'm all for, and i told him myself after the Geelong game when i was hammered ) but interesting that nobody suggesting who we drop for him. Gordon out for Malceski, so someone else needs to go if LJ is to play ? Its a tough one. I've got nothin.

BSA5
19th May 2011, 06:58 PM
A few people suggesting LJ gets a game ( which I'm all for, and i told him myself after the Geelong game when i was hammered ) but interesting that nobody suggesting who we drop for him. Gordon out for Malceski, so someone else needs to go if LJ is to play ? Its a tough one. I've got nothin.

Me neither. Jetta took a great step last week, it would be silly to drop him now. Parker looked good on debut. Mattner's form has been so-so in the last couple of weeks, and there were suggestions of a shoulder injury. If he's sore, that would be the only way I could see LJ coming in.

Primmy
19th May 2011, 06:58 PM
Thrilled to my little finger tips that NicMal is getting a gig this weekend. At least his poofle valve will get a release! Go Sunshine, play just like Nic Malceski, and no one else! (No wonder the senior coaches were at the ressie game.....they do watch it live and make their own judgements).

Lets hope LJ also gets a gig. He is such a bloke now, no kid left in him.

As for TDL, who are we going to drop......and look at our outs at present.....they are going to be dropping others before too long to make way for Kizza alone! The outs are just going to have to force their way in, and if they are not then that is the reason they are not getting a gig. For once the Swans have depth and are not relying on whose left in the barrel. They have to play like AFL players of the highest calibre and this time, for the first time I can remember, actually FORCE their way onto the squad.

ShockOfHair
19th May 2011, 07:00 PM
Here goes the weekly sub guessing game. Surely Jetta or Parker.
LJ to be emergency again.

Is there a reason for Seaby in the 25 apart from screwing with Clarko's head? Not that there's anything wrong with that - just wonderin'.

ernie koala
19th May 2011, 07:02 PM
Me neither. Jetta took a great step last week, it would be silly to drop him now. Parker looked good on debut. Mattner's form has been so-so in the last couple of weeks, and there were suggestions of a shoulder injury. If he's sore, that would be the only way I could see LJ coming in.

I agree with this. Unless Mattner is injured, it seems Mal in for Nipper.
Seaby , Meredith and LJ will be emergencies.
Wonder who will be this weeks sub??

ugg
19th May 2011, 07:04 PM
Malceski's what valve?

Kirkari
19th May 2011, 07:05 PM
TDL is getting closer to what the coaches seem to want from him, but Lewis Johnston has been pretty solid in the ressies too, so great to see him get a run.

Excited about Mal but hope it's not a rush on account of the bye for the reserves this week not providing another trial run. Also hope he gets a "lucky" haircut instead of whatever that is that's been living on his head the last month or so.

REALLY hope they don't bring in Seabs for LRT either.

I'd love Josh and McGlynn to both have blinders - just to rub it in...

Bring on Sunday!

Primmy
19th May 2011, 07:05 PM
poofle, an old primmy family expression.

ernie koala
19th May 2011, 07:08 PM
Being indigenous week, I hope Jetts fires this week along with (IMO) the number 1 indigenous player in the league.....Goodesy
Rioli is a big in for the Hawkes , along with Buddys form....it's a worry.

liz
19th May 2011, 07:20 PM
Can't see LJ making his debut this week unless someone gets injured between now and then. Good as he has been this year, I suspect he is going to have to wait until either Reid or Everitt need a rest (or get injured) or maybe Johnson drops out.

In terms of Seaby being named in the 25, presumably it is as emergency coverage in case LRT or Mumford become unavailable.

SCGonasunnyday
19th May 2011, 07:34 PM
As for TDL, who are we going to drop......and look at our outs at present.....they are going to be dropping others before too long to make way for Kizza alone! The outs are just going to have to force their way in, and if they are not then that is the reason they are not getting a gig. For once the Swans have depth and are not relying on whose left in the barrel. They have to play like AFL players of the highest calibre and this time, for the first time I can remember, actually FORCE their way onto the squad.

Great isn't it!

Say your top 22 is in no definite order:

Mumford
Jack
McVeigh
Goodes
Kennedy
O'Keefe
Bolton
Smith
Shaw
Keneally
Mattner
LRT
Richards
McGlynn
Malceski
Hannebery
Bird
Jetta
Johnson, A
Rohan
Reid
Everitt

Then that leaves the following:

Trent Dennis-Lane
Johnston, L
Seaby
Gordon
Pyke
Parker
Sumner
Bevan
White
Moore
Lamb

Pretty amazing.

Nich
19th May 2011, 07:35 PM
bit suprised about LJ getting a call up before TDL when TDL has been firing in the reserves.... my guess is LJ will be the Sub as i think he would make a better one than TDL.

For the past several weeks Horse has labelled Parker and LJ as the two most pressing for Senior selection. Parks got a gig. I think TDL has a bit of a longer wait than we think if everyone stays fit and in form. We'll see LJ very soon I think.

ernie koala
19th May 2011, 07:55 PM
They have to play like AFL players of the highest calibre and this time, for the first time I can remember, actually FORCE their way onto the squad.

Well I don't know what you've been watching for the last bunch of seasons....Roos always insisted players earn their spot, even when the team was going badly.... Much to the annoyance of many on here.
But I do agree we seem to have more depth now, than for many years. Mind you depth can be deceiving until it's tested out on the big stage.

Auntie.Gerald
19th May 2011, 09:42 PM
The overall management of the players is very exciting

we are giving young fellas a taste of what it takes to play Seniors and these are guys we want to make Seniors as real contenders week in week out !

but it is all within the context of us winning and moving forward as a group ready to contend 2012/13 with gusto and who knows we may ...........may give the top4 a little shake or at least scare the @@@@ out of those contending for the top4 in 2011

Auntie.Gerald
19th May 2011, 10:23 PM
PS if Hannes and Birdy can nullify Sewell and Burgoyne and if Teddy in the main can neutralise Buddy I am fairly comfortable with all matchups !

I predict Goodes to have his best game of the season..........he will be a very difficult matchup for the Hawks !

longmile
19th May 2011, 10:47 PM
This is a great read, this is the most positive I've been about the Swans since 2006. I think for 2012/13 we are serious contenders!

Gezball
19th May 2011, 11:05 PM
drop Shaw for TDL. Shaw adequately replaced by eski.

ScottH
19th May 2011, 11:16 PM
This is a great read, this is the most positive I've been about the Swans since 2006. I think for 2012/13 we are serious contenders!

Yep. It is a great feeling isn't it.
We just need some fine tuning and some experience in the younger group!!

giant
19th May 2011, 11:57 PM
Here goes the weekly sub guessing game. Surely Jetta or Parker.
LJ to be emergency again.

Is there a reason for Seaby in the 25 apart from screwing with Clarko's head? Not that there's anything wrong with that - just wonderin'.

Well, Clarko responded by naming Roughead in the ruck with Bailey and Lisle on the extended interchange - so all good fun you'd think. Can't imagine they'll choose this week to run with two ruckmen.

Some good ins for the Hawks but really there team looks pretty shallow in parts - a FB line of Peopolo, Murphy & Guerra hardly strikes terror? We get the match ups right, play with the right intensity and play the SCG our way and we should win this game.

Auntie.Gerald
20th May 2011, 01:00 AM
also Andrejs lands a starting spot in the forward line this week..........the coaches liking what they see from Andrejs and I think a few of the people bagging him are falling silent !

bennyfabulous
20th May 2011, 02:07 AM
drop Shaw for TDL. Shaw adequately replaced by eski.

Seriously?

I'll take 2 kg of whatever he's smokin. Delivery possible?

Kirkari
20th May 2011, 09:20 AM
Seriously?

+1. Plus Mal didn't manage a full game in the reserves, so would be surprised if he plays all of this one either.

magic.merkin
20th May 2011, 09:47 AM
seriously?

so high

Mountain Man
20th May 2011, 11:47 AM
It will be very interesting to see who is selected from the (extended) interchange. Of the 18 nominated to start, Hawthorn are seriously "short".

Franklin is listed at 196cm; Roughhead at 193; and Birchall (in defence) also 193cm.

They then have 5 players 185cm and over; another 5 at 180cm and over; 4 over 175cm and then Puopolo at 173cm.

We have 8 players who are over 190cm and over; 3 who are in the 180 to 185cm and 6 in the 180cm to 185cm range, and only McGlynn at 174 on the mighty midget scale.

ugg
20th May 2011, 12:38 PM
Umpires
18. Ray CHAMBERLAIN (10 wins 10 losses 50.0%)
21. Simon MEREDITH (13 wins 7 losses 65.0%)
32. Jacob MOLLISON (4 wins 0 losses 100.0%)
Emergency
27. Ben RYAN (1 win 0 losses 100.0%)

Big Al
20th May 2011, 12:43 PM
Umpires
18. Ray CHAMBERLAIN (10 wins 10 losses 50.0%))

@@@@

Mr Magoo
20th May 2011, 01:39 PM
Considering how good he has consitently been , amazing that Mumford is only up to game fifty. To think that he was only considered our second ruckman 12 months ago but would now be one of the best going around.

Jewels
20th May 2011, 01:43 PM
Umpires
Emergency

We're stuffed! He is THE most Melbourncentric ump in the league.

Primmy
20th May 2011, 01:52 PM
Sheeze ugg, whydya have to go and spoil everything! the only ump I have screamed "bring back Goldspink" to. Whinge, moan, kick cat, mutter.....kick cat again.......

Untamed Snark
20th May 2011, 01:55 PM
Umpires
Emergency

Just flipping brilliant.

chalbilto
20th May 2011, 01:57 PM
I have just seen that the broadcast is on a 1 hour delay. Not happy Jan. Bring on 2012 when all matches will be shown live on Fox/Austar.

Go Swannies
20th May 2011, 02:00 PM
No! Not "the dingo got the wrong baby" Chamberlain!

But it makes sure it'll be an emotional match.

johnno
20th May 2011, 02:02 PM
Is it true?, both Parker and LRT have been dropped and replaced by LJ and Meredith.

ugg
20th May 2011, 02:17 PM
Is it true?, both Parker and LRT have been dropped and replaced by LJ and Meredith.
No I think you're just reading the bench in alphabetical order.

JudesaGun
20th May 2011, 02:21 PM
Any inside word on the changes this week ugg?

Peace
20th May 2011, 02:23 PM
yeah, they said the call would be made after this mornings training session....... im impatient!

johnno
20th May 2011, 02:24 PM
No I think you're just reading the bench in alphabetical order.

Phew!!!!

I had a look at the online papers, I think your right ugg, but i'll tell you something, on my footy iphone app, it list LRT, Parker and Seaby as 'emergencies' and LJ, Meredith, Jetta and Mattner as on the interchange.

Hartijon
20th May 2011, 02:42 PM
Razor Ray! OMG we are 4 goals down before we start. Then again Bevo's not playing so make that 2 goals down. I have to say its a wierd season and the wierdest thing is that the Swans have been on the right side of the whistle quite a few times. Strange things happen.We have 3 draws,The Suns are above St.Kilda,mass concussions on the day they bring in concussion rule, Interchange steward can't count. Could Razor Ray give us a fair game?

Jewels
20th May 2011, 04:30 PM
Razor Ray! OMG we are 4 goals down before we start. Then again Bevo's not playing so make that 2 goals down. I have to say its a wierd season and the wierdest thing is that the Swans have been on the right side of the whistle quite a few times. Strange things happen.We have 3 draws,The Suns are above St.Kilda,mass concussions on the day they bring in concussion rule, Interchange steward can't count. Could Razor Ray give us a fair game?

Nup, don't think it's possible.

Primmy
20th May 2011, 04:59 PM
Start up a poll Scott. Can Razor Ray leave us alone, or not!

Big Al
20th May 2011, 05:07 PM
No! Not "the dingo got the wrong baby" Chamberlain!

But it makes sure it'll be an emotional match.

I've calmed down over the years with regards to Umpires but he's one that rubs me the wrong way and "emotion" will probably ensue.

The games not about you Ray so pull your head in and just umpire what you see.

Captain
20th May 2011, 05:16 PM
When do we get the final team?

ugg
20th May 2011, 05:33 PM
No further changes for us

Sydney
IN: Malceski
OUT: Gordon
EMG: Meredith, Johnston, Seaby

Hawthorn
IN: Bailey, Rioli, Schoenmakers
OUT: Gilham, Hale, Smith
EMG: Ladson, Young, Lisle

Captain
20th May 2011, 05:36 PM
No further changes for us

Sydney
IN: Malceski
OUT: Gordon
EMG: Meredith, Johnston, Seaby

Hawthorn
IN: Bailey, Rioli, Schoenmakers
OUT: Gilham, Hale, Smith
EMG: Ladson, Young, Lisle

Thanks Ugg. Not too surprising.

Nich
20th May 2011, 05:51 PM
Not surprising at all. I like it. I just hope Parker gets more game time. Haven't really thought about who should be sub but we need all the Parker we can get out there through the middle of the field.

And just like Rohan, I don't think we should get into the habit of using the same sub each week. Get some game time into them.

Looks like it will be Parks though. Only other player I could think of would be Nick and I don't think it will be. I think they'll play Nick and then sub him with Parker if no injuries pop up during the match.

ugg
20th May 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm starting to warm to the idea of Mal as the sub. Looking past all the excitement about his return, he did play only 70 minutes in the reserves and there has to be a reason for that. The reserves' bye has forced Longmire's hand to select Mal this week, but I think they'll still be wary of playing him for the whole game. He would be an excellent sub, having the ability to play back or forward on even midfield at a pinch and he definitely could make a difference when he comes on.

alison.z
20th May 2011, 06:16 PM
I just want to see more of Parker! Could be good to use Malceski as a sub since he only played 70 mins last week ... Could be good to ease him back in?

Nich
20th May 2011, 06:24 PM
I'm starting to warm to the idea of Mal as the sub. Looking past all the excitement about his return, he did play only 70 minutes in the reserves and there has to be a reason for that. The reserves' bye has forced Longmire's hand to select Mal this week, but I think they'll still be wary of playing him for the whole game. He would be an excellent sub, having the ability to play back or forward on even midfield at a pinch and he definitely could make a difference when he comes on.

I think it's a good idea. It would also mean that when he comes on the pace of the game wont be as strong so it would be better for him. Pro's and con's both sides I guess. Mal subbed for Parker or Parker for Mal. Either/or is good by me!

Captain
20th May 2011, 07:10 PM
I reckon they might have Jetta as a sub

BSA5
20th May 2011, 07:47 PM

Can they use him as a sub if he has been named on the field?

RogueSwan
20th May 2011, 07:50 PM
Everitt as the SUB. If Eski gets into trouble (heaven forbid) Shaw moves to HBF and Everitt gets a run up forward. Probably won't happen, I imagine Horse would like to stretch the defense. Then again he could play LRT up forward again. I can still see that SCREAMIN' SPECCY he pulled down last week.;)

DeadlyAkkuret
20th May 2011, 08:02 PM
Everitt should be starting up forward.

Jenny
20th May 2011, 08:03 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to post a quick note to let you know that Red Zone guest passes have sold out for Sunday's match.
Reserved seats and general admission tickets (in the Victor Trumper Stand, Bays 14-18) are still available.

See you all on Sunday!

Jenny

Jeffers1984
20th May 2011, 08:22 PM
Everitt should be starting up forward.

Agree. Eski for sub, Parker to get 28 disposals :)

dimelb
20th May 2011, 08:35 PM
Everitt as the SUB. If Eski gets into trouble (heaven forbid) Shaw moves to HBF and Everitt gets a run up forward. Probably won't happen, I imagine Horse would like to stretch the defense. Then again he could play LRT up forward again. I can still see that SCREAMIN' SPECCY he pulled down last week.;)
Wasn't it fanTAStic?!

GoRhino
20th May 2011, 08:42 PM
Agree. Eski for sub, Parker to get 28 disposals :)

This should be a physical game and I imagine the "brains trust" will hold back the sub until he's needed or until early in the last quarter. Parker needs to be given a good run and could be a gun.
Malceski couldn't be up to it at this stage. He'll be the sub.

ABloodsMan
20th May 2011, 08:47 PM
Can't see Everitt as sub. I think we'll need his height in the forward line from the beginning.

ugg
20th May 2011, 09:43 PM
Can they use him as a sub if he has been named on the field?
Yes, it's happened to other teams a few times.

Primmy
20th May 2011, 11:45 PM
NicMal as a sub. hmmm. Practical of course. Acceptable? To Mal I mean. hmmmm......can you honestly see Nic Malceski, Come Back King, as a sub.. I mean... More likely to be Parker again.

nomae
20th May 2011, 11:58 PM
Can't see Everitt as sub. I think we'll need his height in the forward line from the beginning.

+1

Captain
21st May 2011, 01:24 AM
Looks like a good crowd is in order.

No way Everitt will be, or should be, a sub this week.

Peace
21st May 2011, 09:53 AM
Shaw as sub? Geelong made Wojinski their sub last night, both very quick off the mark..... although after 10-20m Wojinski will outrun anyone in the league i reckon.

Primmy
21st May 2011, 10:18 AM
Everitt did not have a good game as a sub last time, so doubt he would improve. Unless they just rotate who has to take the bitter pill each week. I know Incy hated it (I asked) and was filthy. Affected his game.

Jewels
21st May 2011, 11:25 AM
NicMal as a sub. hmmm. Practical of course. Acceptable? To Mal I mean. hmmmm......can you honestly see Nic Malceski, Come Back King, as a sub.. I mean... More likely to be Parker again.

That's the very reason I think NicMal would be so good as the sub this week.
He has all the attributes that we perceive as needed, it would be a good, tough test for the knee without overdoing it and he mentally wouldn't struggle with the idea of it like the younger kids do, as he would know and accept the reasoning behind it.

Hartijon
21st May 2011, 01:38 PM
That's the very reason I think NicMal would be so good as the sub this week.
He has all the attributes that we perceive as needed, it would be a good, tough test for the knee without overdoing it and he mentally wouldn't struggle with the idea of it like the younger kids do, as he would know and accept the reasoning behind it.

+1

SCGonasunnyday
22nd May 2011, 11:50 AM
Excited!

We will win this if we play well.

According to the Herald Sun we have only three players not playing in our best 22 (Bradshaw, Jack and Moore out, A Johnson, Jetta and Parker in) and the Hawks have 7. The worth of the measure is debatable, but for the Hawks to have 7 outs and given our form at home against them we have every chance if we turn up and play like we and they know they can.

Captain
22nd May 2011, 08:20 PM
Excited!

We will win this if we play well.

According to the Herald Sun we have only three players not playing in our best 22 (Bradshaw, Jack and Moore out, A Johnson, Jetta and Parker in) and the Hawks have 7. The worth of the measure is debatable, but for the Hawks to have 7 outs and given our form at home against them we have every chance if we turn up and play like we and they know they can.

Moore is playing in the reserves, Not sure how that means he is in the best 22.

Auntie.Gerald
22nd May 2011, 08:33 PM
good first game for Mal

ScottH
22nd May 2011, 08:47 PM
good first game for Mal

That it was. He was one of our best. Even though his kicking was not what it used to be.