PDA

View Full Version : smh - A team to be proud of. But not yet one causing great excitement.

Auntie.Gerald
20th May 2011, 05:41 PM
Blue-collar Swans still waiting in the wings (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/bluecollar-swans-still-waiting-in-the-wings-20110518-1et4t.html)

hhhmmm

dimelb
20th May 2011, 06:42 PM
I like it:

As it is, in their new era, the Swans are what they were. Bold, well-organised, noble.

BSA5
20th May 2011, 06:46 PM
Says a whole lot about nothing, that article.

GongSwan
20th May 2011, 07:57 PM
bagging a crowd of 20,000, league games they get 8000 and are happy, yr right BSA5,nuthin said here

Doctor
21st May 2011, 01:19 AM
From an objective viewpoint it wasn't unreasonable. It's a very tough line to walk along though; quiet, professional and unobtrusive with the possible side effect of reduced publicity, but arguably for the right reasons versus brash, in your face, out there media whoredom.

bondy
21st May 2011, 02:56 PM
I actually thought it was a good article. It reminded me of what i like about the Swans - a hardworking, honest, accountable team that does its city proud

BSA5
21st May 2011, 03:20 PM
I actually thought it was a good article. It reminded me of what i like about the Swans - a hardworking, honest, accountable team that does its city proud

Superficially, yes. But everything he wrote basically served to undermine the value and viability of footy in NSW. Subtle and not-so-subtle digs at GWS and Folau, and portraying the Swans as a team of tryers who are admirable but boring (and hence won't be converting any more leaguies any time soon), while offering nothing of a story, no new insights... Just shoddy journalism. The opinion is fine, but he should express it openly. He's tried to say it under the guise of what turned out to be an unstructured, incoherent mumble-on-paper.

Bas
21st May 2011, 06:28 PM
It makes me wonder how Mr Dicky Hinds gets paid for the rubbish he writes. Great job, I'm really envious.

Most of his articles consist of a navel gazing blog rather than any evidence that he actually researched a story.

However as he seems to be the designated "journalist" who covers AFL in Sydney then we simply will have to put up with it.

bondy
21st May 2011, 10:22 PM
Superficially, yes. But everything he wrote basically served to undermine the value and viability of footy in NSW. Subtle and not-so-subtle digs at GWS and Folau, and portraying the Swans as a team of tryers who are admirable but boring (and hence won't be converting any more leaguies any time soon), while offering nothing of a story, no new insights... Just shoddy journalism. The opinion is fine, but he should express it openly. He's tried to say it under the guise of what turned out to be an unstructured, incoherent mumble-on-paper.

I agree BSA5, and good analysis.

I guess I'm thankful that we currently don't have gimmicks to 'sell' the game to our city. I think of Brisbane and the awful Fev experiment, and love that it seems that our players are a tight unit and play for each other, not themselves.

I don't like us losing games and lament that lately we do not match it with the highest echelon of teams (Collingwood, Geelong) but I like the manner in which we go about our footy, recruit and draft players and play on the park and not through the media

magic.merkin
22nd May 2011, 12:21 PM
tosser, everything was so defeatist, negative and backhanded.

filth

thedoc
22nd May 2011, 12:59 PM
This is a continuing theme that Richard Hinds develops - ie that (i) the Swans do not promote themselves via the traditional media and (ii) despite that they are a pretty good team. Nothing new there, all pretty much true and non-controversial. I reckon the Bloods culture, which I see as the very essence of what runs through the club and makes us who we are, would determine a low key approach to anything that doesn't help win games. The Swans have definitely got that right.

In my view, with one exception, Mr Hinds also has it right ("Bold, well-organised, noble" are great words). That exception is his conclusion that we are not realistic premiership contenders, its too early to write off teams like the Swans. If we make top 4, history has shown we have a shot!

Now, time to walk over the SCG!!

Margie
22nd May 2011, 06:52 PM
We can't even claim blue-collar status anymore. Our tackling is well down on what it used to be and effort is sadly lacking.

There is a definitely lack of leadership in our team at the moment.

Wardy
22nd May 2011, 07:24 PM
I wasn't proud today - I was seriously dissapointed. Hinds got it wrong this week - there was more media advertising for the Swans this week than there had in been in ages - and it worked - shame the boys didnt deliver.

Bas
22nd May 2011, 07:39 PM
Hinds actually bags the team less than what Luffy did today and we never say anything about that.

CJK
22nd May 2011, 07:52 PM
Hmmmm. A team to be proud of? Yeah. OK. Sure

Melbournehammer
22nd May 2011, 08:43 PM
Hinds actually bags the team less than what Luffy did today and we never say anything about that.

Who did not bag them today.

Our most productive forward is five foot nothing, our best midfielder is a second year player and the best thing about the game was that a player came back after a knee reconstruction quickly. Our two co-captains were disappointing, our hbf runners were anonymous, we played many peoples preferred CHB (not mine) as a forward and ruck man and we simply couldn't get our hands on the ball

mcs
22nd May 2011, 09:14 PM
Wasn't anything to be proud of today. Badly beaten and it would of been much much worse if Hawthorn could kick straight. Very poor performance, and I think its now becoming very clear what we are for this season- cannon fodder. We'll beat plenty of rubbish teams below and around us, but we look very ordinary against the good teams.

BSA5
23rd May 2011, 12:21 AM
Who did not bag them today.

Our most productive forward is five foot nothing, our best midfielder is a second year player and the best thing about the game was that a player came back after a knee reconstruction quickly. Our two co-captains were disappointing, our hbf runners were anonymous, we played many peoples preferred CHB (not mine) as a forward and ruck man and we simply couldn't get our hands on the ball

???

Doctor
23rd May 2011, 12:50 AM
???

If this is based on today I assume mcs means Hanners

BSA5
23rd May 2011, 01:17 AM
If this is based on today I assume mcs means Hanners

Hanners is a third year player.

thedoc
23rd May 2011, 02:39 AM
[QUOTE=Melbournehammer;529497]Who did not bag them today.

To your question - I did not "bag them" one or two did near me in the Churchill, they left early - most Bloods realise that bagging your own team is what other teams' fans do

do you really bag our boys champ?