PDA

View Full Version : training brawls

vagary
14th January 2003, 11:54 AM
found this article this morning in the smh. this seems to be the third incident of brawls and punchups in training that i've heard in this year and last year combined. what are peoples opinion of it?http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/13/1041990234789.html

Mike_B
14th January 2003, 11:59 AM
Yeah I saw that this morning too....IMHO its just something being made out of nothing. Remember how competitive these guys are and how they are probably sick of pre-season training and want to get into the real stuff. So anything that they don't like is going to set them off....

TheMase
14th January 2003, 01:32 PM
I saw the footage.
Under the hot adelaide sun, training their hearts out.

Guy got frustrated because of a tackle, and just through his fists around ... Hit smart .. so he had a dig ...

They got that out of their system...

jude_boltons_babe
14th January 2003, 02:07 PM
i saw the adelaide boys fighting a freind of mine said that wayne carey would have to of been in that but he wasnt it was nigel smart nathan bassett

TheMase
14th January 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by jude_adams_babe
i saw the adelaide boys fighting a freind of mine said that wayne carey would have to of been in that but he wasnt it was nigel smart nathan bassett

You couldn't see the Swans doing it?

And why not? I dont think there are any ill feelings between Smart and Bassett, it was just in the heat of training, frustration will occur, and so will incidents like this.

I would have been surprised if I found out that it did happen at the Swans, and I would be 100% sure that a similar incident would have happened in the last 5 years, just the media is less likely to pick up on it in Sydney.

Cheer Cheer
14th January 2003, 07:46 PM
Masey,

It has infact happened at the swans a few seasons back - maybe 4 I think

It was between scotty russell and johnny stevens

Same thing as usual - one guy put a tackle on too hard at training and its on for young an old

Thats just one example of it happening at the swans - i'm sure there are more occasions of it happening

TheMase
14th January 2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
Masey,

It has infact happened at the swans a few seasons back - maybe 4 I think

Same thing as usual - one guy put a tackle on too hard at training and its on for young an old

Thats just one example of it happening at the swans - i'm sure there are more occasions of it happening

Thanks mate :D

I knew someone would come along and back up my claims!

So you see, it happens at every club.
Thats not to see the players aren't mates, it just in the heat of the battle (much like a footy match, when a fight break outs, heat of the battle)

Diego
14th January 2003, 10:34 PM
Did Russ mess up Stevens hair or something?

"Hey man not the hair..not the hair"
Stevens rips of his shirt to reveal a fine chisled body and starts slapping Russell.

A bit of a biff at training aint bad..used to happen when I played Soccer. Some guys just couldnt hack it. And when I used to play cricket, I used to bounce the bowlers when they were batting in the net sessions.

All fun really!

:D

jude_boltons_babe
15th January 2003, 12:12 AM
it happens in any sport ok

TheMase
15th January 2003, 09:44 AM
it happens in any sport ok

Then why did you say that it wouldn't happen at the Swans?

j s
15th January 2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
I didn't do nuffin! :D

jude_boltons_babe
15th January 2003, 12:47 PM
i know the players ok in every team it happens sometimes

TheMase
15th January 2003, 01:37 PM
i know the players ok in every team it happens sometimes

Sure, it does happen sometimes.

But you had in your subject in your first post "I couldn't see the Swans doing it".

So how come you said that, if you know it happens sometimes and you know the players?

Indeed ....

jude_boltons_babe
15th January 2003, 02:54 PM
im sorry ok

Sydneyfan
15th January 2003, 06:23 PM
Like Mase said, it happens every now and then and is no real concern. Hot weather, heavy training, someone lays an enthusiastic tackle and it's on for young and old!

As long as it's only a rare occurance and all is resolved afterwards, it's probably relatively healthy. Just got to make sure there's nothing more in it, simmering rivalries amongst players at a club is never good for team comeraderie.