PDA

View Full Version : Swans salary cap

SWANSBEST
23rd February 2003, 06:17 AM
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6025243%255E2771,00.html

Ajn
23rd February 2003, 02:40 PM
On top of which the swans are not delving into that excess this year. After last years big name retirements the swans are under their limit by the full amount of their deserved allowance. Not that that would stop ol' Eddie and co.

treespirit
23rd February 2003, 03:01 PM
Nice to see a rational comment on the issue.

robbieando
23rd February 2003, 03:58 PM
With a bit of room under the cap we should try at seasons end to invest the remaining room on a top line midfielder. Not someone old but someone 23 years of age or younger with a bright future ahead of them, heck I think Brisbane might have a few leave. This is the important area.

liz
23rd February 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
With a bit of room under the cap we should try at seasons end to invest the remaining room on a top line midfielder. Not someone old but someone 23 years of age or younger with a bright future ahead of them, heck I think Brisbane might have a few leave. This is the important area.

I agree that we are a class midfielder or two (maybe more) short but I really don't think we're going to get them via trading. Firstly, very few clubs let their top line players disappear unless they desparately want to leave. When they do, it usually comes down to geography. Of all the classy young midfielders going around, the only one remotely likely to want to come to Sydney for geographical reasons is Hayes. Unfortunately, there are no signs that he is unsettled, as discussed on another recent post.

Otherwise the type of player that is attracted to Sydney are those desparate to get away from the pressure of Melbourne. These are either troubled souls (ie Hall) or older players (ie Williams).

Further complicating the fact is that the cost in terms of picks would be huge, even if one did want to come to Sydney. We were somewhat lucky to get Davis as cheaply as we did because he was absolutely desparate to come, the Swans probably weren't as desparate, and he was coming off a mediocre season. Williams, Hall and Ball cost us heaps. While we are still some way off challenging, I think its unlikely Roos and Ireland will take that path.