PDA

View Full Version : We have the 3rd lowest 'Points For' in the league

No 14
30th May 2011, 03:57 PM
OK... we know we have a great defence... 5th best record for points against in the league (after 9 games) but...

We are 14th for 'Points For'... just beat Adelaide (4 points), a few more ahead of Port (on average) and more than the Suns.

If we are to make the top 4 we need to score more goals... if we were to play Geelong's strategy and leave someone in the goal square (who could mark) who would you recommend? Or is there an alternative strategy?

ugg
30th May 2011, 04:46 PM
We had the 3rd lowest 'Points For' at the end of the 2005 regular season. And that's despite having a quality forward line in Hall, O'Loughlin, Davis, O'Keefe and Schneider.

It's a good omen if you ask me

dimelb
30th May 2011, 04:50 PM
OK... we know we have a great defence... 5th best record for points against in the league (after 9 games) but...

We are 14th for 'Points For'... just beat Adelaide (4 points), a few more ahead of Port (on average) and more than the Suns.

If we are to make the top 4 we need to score more goals... if we were to play Geelong's strategy and leave someone in the goal square (who could mark) who would you recommend? Or is there an alternative strategy?
When he is available, Pyke. Alternating with Mummy of course. Johnston and Reid could also rotate through that position as an alternative to sitting on the bench.
Also it's worth noting that until the blowout against Hawthorn, we had the equal third lowest points against.

ShockOfHair
30th May 2011, 04:54 PM
Our percentage is a bit soft, though. We're 7th best on 100% a long way behind 6th (Essendon on 119%) and just ahead of Freo, Melbourne and Saints.

The stat just reinforces what we know: the forward line is our weak spot.

Peace
30th May 2011, 05:14 PM
most of those teams have played goldcoast.... and thrashed em

Donners
30th May 2011, 05:43 PM
Bah, GC will probably be up and running by the time we get them... :(

Peace
30th May 2011, 05:51 PM
yep..... we only get to play them once and its still another month away :(

Cheer Squad
30th May 2011, 06:51 PM
most of those teams have played goldcoast.... and thrashed em

Bah, GC will probably be up and running by the time we get them... :(

yep..... we only get to play them once and its still another month away :(

Here's an opinion on our chances against the Suns in today's Herald...

There's a long way to go, but history backs Swans action in September (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/theres-a-long-way-to-go-but-history-backs-swans-action-in-september-20110529-1fayr.html)

I don't know on what grounds Mr. Wu thinks we'll be "overwhelming" favourites to beat GC. They knocked us over unexpectedly at BOP earlier this year.

DST
30th May 2011, 08:35 PM

There's a long way to go, but history backs Swans action in September (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/theres-a-long-way-to-go-but-history-backs-swans-action-in-september-20110529-1fayr.html)

I don't know on what grounds Mr. Wu thinks we'll be "overwhelming" favourites to beat GC. They knocked us over unexpectedly at BOP earlier this year.

That was a planned loss, to avoid a trip to Perth the week after.

The bonus was we ended up staying in the comp anyway.

DST

lwoggardner
30th May 2011, 09:07 PM

Article ignores the fact that this season is 24 rounds, with byes all over the shop so any comparison to the ladder in round 10 of previous seasons is a bit of a stretch. That said, the one thing that might indicate the top 8 is set is this bit....

That gap is greater than it appears as ninth-placed Richmond have played one more game than Sydney.

Nico
30th May 2011, 10:43 PM
It appears to me our midfielders have gone missing from the forward 50.

ScottH
31st May 2011, 08:33 AM

This has been a trend for quite a while now. Whilst other clubs seem to be having a crack from the 50m line or further, we still insist on trying to spot up a player, and missing, or putting into the pockets for the impossible goal.

stellation
31st May 2011, 09:07 AM
I may also add to that, it appears to me our midfielders are missing going into the forward 50 too. I would not enjoy playing as a forward to our midfield at the moment.