PDA

View Full Version : The Harbour Views AFL

andyn
31st May 2011, 11:03 AM
Hi guys,

I'm a journalist by trade, but unfortunately I don't get to write about one of my favourite topics, footy!

As a born and bread NSW boy, I'm very proud to love AFL. With GWS coming on scene, I wanted to start encouraging more NSW/Sydney based footy journalism. That doesn't mean writing articles about the Swans, but also looking at footy in general from a NSW perspective.

Truth is that we are starved of good AFL writing up here, and whilst I don't think my blog/website is anything revolutionary (far from it) - I'm happy to contribute in my own way to what I hope will be an increased interest in the sport we love.

RWO is a great forum and I don't want to clog it up with too many of my own thoughts about the game.

So if you can, please check out my blog

The Harbour Views - Sydcentric AFL (www.harbourviewsafl.com)

or better yet, follow me on twitter or facebook: harbourviewsafl

Maybe some of you guys can start your own.

Just two articles there at the moment, but hopefully will pen a few a week.

Thanks again for your support.
Cheers
Andy

dimelb
31st May 2011, 11:59 AM
... As a born and bread NSW boy ...
So if you can, please check out my blog
The Harbour Views - Sydcentric AFL (www.harbourviewsafl.com) ...

Andy, you may be born and bread in NSW, but you're obviously no loafer.
I enjoyed reading your blog, especially about why some clubs have a better success rate than others. A factor to consider is coaching. Just think if we'd had Wallace instead of Roos.
Another factor is money: clubs like Collingwood, the Eagles and Essendon have vast amounts of money they pour into football departments, which do not come under the salary cap. We were leaders in this area 6 years ago and got a jump on the others.
Another is recruiting. Once you get past the top 20 or so, the draft starts to become a bit of a lottery, but some clubs have repeatedly made a hash of the top 10.
Success is hard to achieve and, as you point out, sheer dumb luck (including especially lack of injuries) is so often involved.

Frog
31st May 2011, 12:32 PM
We all want a rivalry ? and I?ve already heard plenty of Swans supporters trashing the Giants, but the truth is you can?t manufacture a rivalry. Rivalries are not created; they are born out of events. As a Swans supporter and Sydney local, I will support the Giants until the moment I hate them. That might come when they start beating us, or if they steal a couple of our best players, but in the first instance all Sydney based AFL fans must back them in like a little brother.

Purely by having a competition, there is rivalry, that is the pure and unadulterated definition of both. But I think I understand what you mean by "rivalry" in this article - You'd want to see a "rivalry" match not unlike Carlton vs Collingwood, or Collingwood vs Essendon. One that fills every seat in the stadium with passionate supporters for both sides.

What we have seen in the not too distant past is that the purported "rivalries" between West Coast and Fremantle and Port Adelaide and Adelaide have really never advanced past the "Local Derby" stage. I fear that is all a Sydney Swans vs GWS match will be in the foreseeable future - A local derby. If AFL states like South and Western Australia cannot generate theirs into a rivalry, what hope does AFL in NSW have?

I stick to my "rivalry" rounds at home: vs Carlton (because my partner barracks for the Blues) and vs St Kilda (Because I hate them as passionately as I love my Swans). Other than that, I'll just sit back and possibly see the GWS experiment fail .... or work. Either way, I follow the Swans, not NSW or GWS.

andyn
31st May 2011, 12:38 PM
Andy, you may be born and bread in NSW, but you're obviously no loafer.
I enjoyed reading your blog, especially about why some clubs have a better success rate than others. A factor to consider is coaching. Just think if we'd had Wallace instead of Roos.
Another factor is money: clubs like Collingwood, the Eagles and Essendon have vast amounts of money they pour into football departments, which do not come under the salary cap. We were leaders in this area 6 years ago and got a jump on the others.
Another is recruiting. Once you get past the top 20 or so, the draft starts to become a bit of a lottery, but some clubs have repeatedly made a hash of the top 10.
Success is hard to achieve and, as you point out, sheer dumb luck (including especially lack of injuries) is so often involved.

ha ha, 'bread' vs 'bred' - that's what starts happening when news organsations start sacking sub-editors! Thanks for your response :) I agree with everything you said about the life and death of success. Amazing to see that the cycle we're currently on is Melbourne teams are up, interstate teams are down whereas the naughties were dominated by interstate teams. You would think that there might be another swtich at some stage

Swansongster
31st May 2011, 12:47 PM
I liked your blog. Keep it up. I am a Sydney boy living in Melbourne for the past 10 years. Swans fan since first ever game in Sydney (as South Melbourne).

I'd like to see a story about the history of Aussie Rules in Sydney.

When did it start? How many clubs (SFL and districts) are there? Which ones are the most successful? Who are the legends? What sort of crowds do they draw? Where do they play? That sort of thing? I had a mate who lived near Gore Hill 20 years ago and we used to wander down occasionally with a six pack and watch North Shore play but I have no idea how may years people have been doing that.

Just a thought.

andyn
31st May 2011, 12:53 PM
Purely by having a competition, there is rivalry, that is the pure and unadulterated definition of both. But I think I understand what you mean by "rivalry" in this article - You'd want to see a "rivalry" match not unlike Carlton vs Collingwood, or Collingwood vs Essendon. One that fills every seat in the stadium with passionate supporters for both sides.

What we have seen in the not too distant past is that the purported "rivalries" between West Coast and Fremantle and Port Adelaide and Adelaide have really never advanced past the "Local Derby" stage. I fear that is all a Sydney Swans vs GWS match will be in the foreseeable future - A local derby. If AFL states like South and Western Australia cannot generate theirs into a rivalry, what hope does AFL in NSW have?

I stick to my "rivalry" rounds at home: vs Carlton (because my partner barracks for the Blues) and vs St Kilda (Because I hate them as passionately as I love my Swans). Other than that, I'll just sit back and possibly see the GWS experiment fail .... or work. Either way, I follow the Swans, not NSW or GWS.

very true. The 'local derby' is very different to the rivalry and in many ways it can be subjective. I too hate Carlton because of my mates and St Kilda (strengthened by some of their current players). Then of course there was the great West Coast/Swans rivalry born out of two great teams smashing out great game after graet game. And I can still remember how much we hated the dogs when Tony Liberatore was running round. This is what I mean when I say rivalries are born and not created.

I hope that in the future I can dislike GWS with a passion of Collingwood V Essendon ... the game would be the better for it! But as you say, the teams we really want to role may remain interstate

andyn
31st May 2011, 12:56 PM
I liked your blog. Keep it up. I am a Sydney boy living in Melbourne for the past 10 years. Swans fan since first ever game in Sydney (as South Melbourne).

When did it start? How many clubs (SFL and districts) are there? Which ones are the most successful? Who are the legends? What sort of crowds do they draw? Where do they play? That sort of thing? I had a mate who lived near Gore Hill 20 years ago and we used to wander down occasionally with a six pack and watch North Shore play but I have no idea how may years people have been doing that.

Just a thought.

Thanks swansongster. I'll see what i can find out. Might need to get out there and find some people who can tell some good stories. Thanks for the encouragment and sotry idea!
Cheers
Andy

Primmy
31st May 2011, 01:11 PM
To me the local Derby is us against them. i.e., Us against every other club.

Not so concerned about GWS, if we want to stick it up Melbourne (and who doesn't) then it will really have to be both of us against the rest of them. For some convoluted personal reasoning I doubt we are going to be rankled rivals for quite some years to come, unless Sheads starts something.

Mrs Shaw
31st May 2011, 03:58 PM
Terrific Blog Andy, looking forward to the next ones. I'm always complaint about the lack of AFL in our Sydney media, so more the merrier I say

andyn
31st May 2011, 05:46 PM
Terrific Blog Andy, looking forward to the next ones. I'm always complaint about the lack of AFL in our Sydney media, so more the merrier I say

thanks Kyles! Hopefully over the next few weeks I can rev up some people in Melbourne. Should be fun, especially given the media down there keep giving us great material to complain about!

cos789
31st May 2011, 06:18 PM
What we have seen in the not too distant past is that the purported "rivalries" between West Coast and Fremantle and Port Adelaide and Adelaide have really never advanced past the "Local Derby" stage. I fear that is all a Sydney Swans vs GWS match will be in the foreseeable future .

The derbies you mention are huge .WCE supporters guenuinely dislike Docker supporters and everybody hates the Power.
If the Swans Vs GWS generates derby creates as much interest it will be a surefire winner .

The Swans have developed mini rivalries with WCE due to GFs, Brisbane as co-expansionist ,St Kilda -Fioshini affair and a string of major clubs based on historical distastes .The Melbourne thing never really gelled .probably more worrying is the lack of interest in teams like NM . Melbourne and Fremantle .

BSA5
31st May 2011, 06:24 PM

Um, what? The Showdown and the Derby are both MASSIVE! They're bigger than finals for those teams. I've heard/read Docker fans saying they'd rather win the Derby than the Premiership!

Frog
31st May 2011, 06:46 PM
The derbies you mention are huge .WCE supporters guenuinely dislike Docker supporters and everybody hates the Power.
If the Swans Vs GWS generates derby creates as much interest it will be a surefire winner .

The Swans have developed mini rivalries with WCE due to GFs, Brisbane as co-expansionist ,St Kilda -Fioshini affair and a string of major clubs based on historical distastes .The Melbourne thing never really gelled .probably more worrying is the lack of interest in teams like NM . Melbourne and Fremantle .

Um, what? The Showdown and the Derby are both MASSIVE! They're bigger than finals for those teams. I've heard/read Docker fans saying they'd rather win the Derby than the Premiership!
Yes, fantastic. They are rivalries. Hmmmm ... maybe not. Personally, I don't give a rats behind about either match and wouldn't waste a second of daylight (or darkness) even watching either of these games. Yet I could be persuaded to actually go to the ground to watch Collingwood and Carlton, or Collingwood and Essendon.

They really are derbies, nothing more, nothing less. I doubt they rate as well on National TV as they do on local TV. A game between the other clubs I mentioned, however ....

A game between GWS and the Swans, IMO, will only ever be a derby.

Derby <sup>1 </sup> (?d??b?, US ?d??rb?)
1. the Derby an annual horse race run at Epsom Downs, Surrey, since 1780: one of the English flat-racing classics
2. any of various other horse races
3. local Derby a football match between two teams from the same area

Lucky Knickers
31st May 2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for posting Andy but you haven't answered the big question. Derby or Derby - how are we going to pronounce it?

albrotha
31st May 2011, 11:54 PM
A rivalry between the MIGHTY SYDNEY SWANS and the wee team gws is a great vision. There are already SFL rivalries such as Penno v ECE that date back to the Baulko days. Another dream we should have is to have a Swans V Giants grand final now that would be special and really shut up those interstate teams. Andy well done on your initiative and keep up your thought provoking articles.

BSA5
1st June 2011, 12:49 AM
Yes, fantastic. They are rivalries. Hmmmm ... maybe not. Personally, I don't give a rats behind about either match and wouldn't waste a second of daylight (or darkness) even watching either of these games. Yet I could be persuaded to actually go to the ground to watch Collingwood and Carlton, or Collingwood and Essendon.

They really are derbies, nothing more, nothing less. I doubt they rate as well on National TV as they do on local TV. A game between the other clubs I mentioned, however ....

A game between GWS and the Swans, IMO, will only ever be a derby.

Derby <sup>1 </sup> (?d??b?, US ?d??rb?)
1. the Derby an annual horse race run at Epsom Downs, Surrey, since 1780: one of the English flat-racing classics
2. any of various other horse races
3. local Derby a football match between two teams from the same area

How exactly do you define a "rivalry" then? If Freo and WC, and Port and Adelaide, don't have rivalries, then quite simply there is no such thing. Whether you'd watch it is irrelevant, the rivalry is between those team, those fans, and there isn't a fan of either who would miss it.

Frog
1st June 2011, 01:09 AM
You are right. It is a rivalry. Next.

Dosser
1st June 2011, 09:31 AM

Just a thought.

For what it is worth, as a member of the very first East Coast Eagles (Baulkham Hills) team that split from Pennant Hills, I have many vivid memories of being beaten every week with scorelines of about 200-6. Our coach was Kevin Hall (Carlton) and whenever we played North Shore, all of us used to run around taking speccies over each other before the game while the North Shore boys sat around polishing their boots. They used to flog us, too... Ah, this is better than telling these stories to my kids!

ScottH
1st June 2011, 10:13 AM
FWIW, we have a detailed history of the Swans including there move from Melbourne to Sydney.
It was originally written by RobbieAndo and it's his work up till 2004 ( I think). I've then kept to up to date.
If people feel they can contribute to it in more details please feel free to update it.

Detailed history - RWOwiki, South Melbourne, Sydney Swans, Detailed History (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Detailed_history)

Chilcott
1st June 2011, 10:28 AM
Good work Andyn. Your writing style makes it an enjoyable and easy read.

Don't know what your journalistic ambitions are, but you should nag the hell out of the Swans media team to get some of your fine work onto the Swans website. Get your foot in the door at the Swans, which might help you get your foot in the door at the SMH, or one of the other papers in Sydney.

andyn
1st June 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for posting Andy but you haven't answered the big question. Derby or Derby - how are we going to pronounce it?

I'm sure the media will call it something like 'the battle for Sydney' or even have a go at Swans being latte sippers from the east and kebab eaters of the West. Cliches go a long way in footy. So maybe we can avoid the word altogether? :)

Triple B
1st June 2011, 11:57 AM
The 'Sydney Smackdown'

Smackdown I
Smackdown II
Smackdown III
etc.

andyn
1st June 2011, 12:31 PM
Good work Andyn. Your writing style makes it an enjoyable and easy read.

Don't know what your journalistic ambitions are, but you should nag the hell out of the Swans media team to get some of your fine work onto the Swans website. Get your foot in the door at the Swans, which might help you get your foot in the door at the SMH, or one of the other papers in Sydney.

Would love to write about footy every day. Who wouldn't! I think there's only so much space on offer in major papers these days. Hopefully with two Sydney teams in the comp, that might change. But the papers will write more if more people want to hear about it. We do have to combat the initial attacks on AFL in Sydney 'in the west.' Trust me, it'll be the big story (especially with newslimited papers) in the same way as newspapers like to write about failed political leadership. Poor old Israel is already under the microscope.

I actually look after media and communications for a major Aust. charity. One of the things we've found is that it's very difficult to get media coverage of the issues NGOs face day to day. So the alternative is to create your own and control what you can control. In the old days that would mean printing independent newspapers, but these days everyone has the power to broadcast their views through blogs, forums etc. The potential is huge for all of us, either as readers or contributors

jono2707
1st June 2011, 12:42 PM
I'm sure the media will call it something like 'the battle for Sydney' or even have a go at Swans being latte sippers from the east and kebab eaters of the West. Cliches go a long way in footy. So maybe we can avoid the word altogether? :)

I for one wont be sucked in to believing that it's a derby, rivalry, smackdown or anything. The AFL will try to con us into some type of cross-town rivalry with the West Sydney Whatevers but I aint buying into a pretend challenge with a made-up team that is doomed to fail anyway...

RogueSwan
1st June 2011, 01:45 PM
. Then of course there was the great West Coast/Swans rivalry born out of two great teams smashing out great game after graet game. And I can still remember how much we hated the dogs when Tony Liberatore was running round. This is what I mean when I say rivalries are born and not created...

Or when the Roos played "home" games in Sydney.

Carey's a wanker...
Carey's a wanker...
:D

Gezball
1st June 2011, 09:07 PM
Well Andy, I enjoyed your articles and look forward to reading others in the future.

andyn
3rd June 2011, 12:06 PM
new blog published - looks at media's coverage of interstate teams, especially the Sydney Swans.
The Harbour Views - Sydcentric AFL (www.harbourviewsafl.com)

Footy is national - deal with it

Victorian media need to embrace the competition as a national one. From next year, the competition reaches a new level of nationalisation with more than one team in each state (except for poor old Tassie). It?s another step away from the VFL and like it or not, foundation clubs need to get used to sharing their game with new clubs on the scene.

Bloody Hell
3rd June 2011, 05:11 PM

Just a thought.

Stumbled across this on Wikipedia a couple of years ago, which I found quite interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football_in_New_South_Wales

Some bits and pieces from within:

The first recorded game of Australian rules football in Sydney was between the Waratah rugby club and the Carlton Football Club in 1877, two days after a rugby game between the two clubs and 14 years after rugby was first played in the state.

the proponents of the Australian game formed the NSW Football Association in 1880 and in 1881 the first Australian rules game between NSW and Victoria was played in Sydney. The NSWFA was small, with only a few clubs, including Waratah who switched code in 1882, and competition did not begin in earnest until 1889, when clubs competed for the Flanagan Cup. Having trouble gaining access to enclosed grounds, and therefore gate receipts, the association also had trouble with antagonism between its clubs, and it collapsed in 1893.

In 1908, largely through the switch of codes by the talented Dally Messenger, rugby league established itself into the culture of Sydney, and although Australian football remained popular, the NSWFL was again denied access to enclosed grounds and the new professional code further drew players from the NSWFL. By 1911, Australian rules had achieved more support than rugby union.

Australian football was introduced to Newcastle, New South Wales in 1883 when the Wallsend Football Club was formed by miners from Ballarat. In 1888, the Black Diamond Cup, Australia's oldest existing and active sporting trophy, was first awarded to the champion team in the region.

Bloody Hell
3rd June 2011, 05:44 PM
This is quite interesting too - Universal Football.

Universal football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_football)