PDA

View Full Version : How many Swans are the giants going to poach over summer ?

barry
31st May 2011, 02:15 PM
Brisbane got ravaged losing Brennan and Riscitelli when Gold Coast started up, so I see no reason to believe we also wont lose two players to the Giants.
The Giants can offer a player big $$ without having to move house.

Plus, with a new coach, bound to be some players with their nose out of joint.

I dont know contract status, but here are our danger players IMO:
- ROK. Maybe a bit old.
- Jesse White.
- Jack. I think Giants will make a huge offer for someone like him.
- Seaby/Pike.

Who would you go after if you were recruiting for the Giants ?

Frog
31st May 2011, 02:20 PM
Michael Oher.

ugg
31st May 2011, 02:21 PM
Some contract statuses here. I believe the Giants have a 2 year window for these signings.

2011 - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=2011)

Plugger46
31st May 2011, 02:21 PM
Rischitelli was gone the minute they shopped him around as part of the Fevola deal and by all accounts they couldn't afford to keep Brennan after offering Fevola and a number of fringe players massive contracts so I don't think it's the same situation.

jono2707
31st May 2011, 02:23 PM
The main difference between us and the Lions was what Voss did to the team last year with the whole Fev schemozzle. We are much more stable and seem to have a pretty good team culture.

That said I think we will lose/trade a few to GWS - Bevan would be the obvious choice - if we trade someone else I'd like to get some nice high draft picks in return....

barry
31st May 2011, 02:28 PM
So there is no-one at the swans who wouldnt like their pay to double ?

andyn
31st May 2011, 02:38 PM

money talks doesn't it. If Israel Foulau gave up his Australian and Queensland positions in NRL to take on a game that he barely knows, with years of learning ahead, I think anyone could do anything. Garry Ablett Junior leaves a powerhouse club where he and his dad are idealised ... all for a new challenge? I don't think so. Money is money. I hope that Swans aren't targeted, but you never know Sheedy. He might try something deliberately to draw battle lines in Sydney.

Cpt. Kirk
31st May 2011, 02:38 PM

Probably, but i think that the swans have a much better culture then brisbane.

I don't think any of our longer term players will leave but i reckon they will try poach rohan and white, perhaps one of our other ruckman.

Nich
31st May 2011, 02:46 PM
Bevo, White, The Burmese Kitten, Slammin' Sam (ouch - stay away from him GWS!). Gee it could be anyone - they'll have some nice cash to throw at them!

Untamed Snark
31st May 2011, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty certain that Kieren & Reg both approached the club last year to extend their contracts past the GWS poaching period.

BSA5
31st May 2011, 04:01 PM
White will go to GWS and reinvent himself as a key defender. The Swans will facilitate this. We have enough key defenders, White won't be able to get a game either forward or back.

Just a gut feeling. White will be in the AFL next year, but not with the Swans, and most likely GWS.

Cpt. Kirk
31st May 2011, 05:21 PM
Hopefully the swans didnt pay as much for tom mitchell as i have heard otherwise there wont be much room at all in the cap.

ernie koala
31st May 2011, 05:48 PM
White will go to GWS and reinvent himself as a key defender. The Swans will facilitate this. We have enough key defenders, White won't be able to get a game either forward or back.

Just a gut feeling. White will be in the AFL next year, but not with the Swans, and most likely GWS.

Yeah I'm with you on this one BSA5, sadly.

I think we should look at him in defence for an extended period in the 2's, and if he turns out to be a revelation... then keep him or trade him, either way we'll do better than his current market value.

Melbourne_Blood
31st May 2011, 06:46 PM
Bevo and Moore, and we wont get much for them but they'll be pretty handy in the GWS line up. Probably White as well

Bas
31st May 2011, 06:50 PM

That would be great news for Jesse and for us.

Swansongster
31st May 2011, 07:38 PM
Nipper Gordon may be looking for opportunities.

You'd have to think thet KJ is a target. If there was perceived PR value in Folau, then so too would there be in the son of a (Leaguie) gun. He is also renowned (according to Teddie) to be be fond of the dracmar (genetic - they used to tell the same tales of his Dad).

White, Moore and Bevan may think that they can squeeze some extra retirement funds out of their careers by moving on and then there is ROK and NicMal who may be interested in healthy twighlight pay days.

All of the above would be good value to Giants.

Big Al
31st May 2011, 08:47 PM
You'd have to think thet KJ is a target. If there was perceived PR value in Folau, then so too would there be in the son of a (Leaguie) gun. He is also renowned (according to Teddie) to be be fond of the dracmar (genetic - they used to tell the same tales of his Dad).

Kizza signed a 3 year deal last year so he won't be going anywhere.

Owen87
31st May 2011, 10:56 PM
I think White and Bevo are definatly going. Also a roughie if he doesn't get picked soon perhaps TDL. I'd hate to see us lose TDL

Robbo
31st May 2011, 11:15 PM
If they don't get Taylor Walker then White is a big chance to go you would think.

Rob-bloods
31st May 2011, 11:38 PM
Hopefully the swans didnt pay as much for tom mitchell as i have heard otherwise there wont be much room at all in the cap.

The word was that the Peewees (sorry Giants) approaches pushed Mitchell's cost up considerably. But by all accounts he is worth every penny.

stellation
1st June 2011, 07:52 AM
If they do take the White meat I hope they at least poach it in stock to boost the flavour.

Snake
1st June 2011, 08:51 AM
White, TDL and Currie........ Probably already talking to Sheedy about contracts.....

giant
1st June 2011, 11:26 AM
Not sure why they'd chase those guys that can't make our best 22. Subject to contract status, in GWS shoes I'd be chasing Hanners, Kennedy, McGlynn, Jack, Grundy and/or Mal.

Yuri H
1st June 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm glad Kieran Jack's unpoachable then! But so help me, if the Giants (I like the thought of calling them the Peewees) grab TDL or McGlynn I'll be mad. Hanners is safe too isn't he? I think I recall him signing a long contract as well.

R-1
1st June 2011, 01:05 PM
I expect TDL to be heavily targeted.

wearebloods
1st June 2011, 05:23 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Nick Smith :confused:

I'm desperately hoping that the puff piece (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/114909/default.aspx) on the AFL site last week is an indication that he has or is close to signing a contract extension.

His manager also represents Haren, Alex Johnson and Rohan (+ Hanners & Otten)...perhaps the Swans can get them thrown in as steak knives? :p

GongSwan
1st June 2011, 05:44 PM
If I were looking for players for a new team, I'd be targeting players with 50-100 games, or fringe players who can't get a steady gig in the seniors. They are the ones willing to move clubs to get a regular senior game, TDL, White, are the two most likely targets, I think the whole KJ thing of a league convert has past, he's an AFL player now and they have Folau. They might go after a couple of senior players for leadership, and I might trade out a few who are getting on in years, and bring in more young blokes, get some of GWS draft picks, the high ones. I'd hate to see us lose key players like Benny, Kennedy. Hopefully they look elsewhere for most of their players

giant
1st June 2011, 11:54 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Nick Smith :confused:

I'm desperately hoping that the puff piece (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/114909/default.aspx) on the AFL site last week is an indication that he has or is close to signing a contract extension.

His manager also represents Haren, Alex Johnson and Rohan (+ Hanners & Otten)...perhaps the Swans can get them thrown in as steak knives? :p

Really good!

Untamed Snark
5th June 2011, 01:30 PM
Mattner builds for a prosperous future (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/mattner-builds-for-a-prosperous-future-20110603-1fl4z.html)

Good to know, also nice to see they used the right photo :rolleyes:

5th June 2011, 03:09 PM
GWS won't be signing fringe players, have a look at the type of class that Gold Coast signed, that's what GWS will be looking at.

A new club full of kids needs big bodies and leadership, they won't chase really young players as they have a shed full of them and they won't chase anyone with behavioural problems because young kids don't need distractions. They won't chase players that aren't top 22 straight away and they won't chase players 28/29 or older.

If they want someone from us, think a top 10 player and that will be their target, so just rate our list, delete the oldies and there you have the GWS targets in our team. We'll get somthing like a ND pick at the end of the first round to be used at the 2012-2016 ND.

As for Tom Mitchell, he is on a fixed salary for his first two years as are all other draftees, it's from 2014 onwards he can command much bigger $ and I hope he is so good that he deserves them.

So give us your top ten Swans players aged 21 - 27 this year.

Robbo
5th June 2011, 03:31 PM
Nathan Krakouer, Sam Iles, Danny Stanley, Josh Fraser and Daniel Harris were all fringe players.