PDA

View Full Version : Bradshaw to retire

SthMelbDieHard
31st May 2011, 09:43 PM
Sadly Bradders hasn't pulled up well from surgery and will announce his immediate retirement later this week.

Disappointing for all involved as he would've been such a bonus for us down forward this season. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors....what a career.

Swannette
31st May 2011, 09:47 PM
And u know this because?

Margie
31st May 2011, 09:50 PM
Roosey said as much on Monday night's On The Couch. When asked if he thought Bradshaw would play again, he said probably not (paraphrasing), then back-pedalled a little.

However, the message seemed clear enough.

Too bad if he does retire, but not unexpected.

SthMelbDieHard
31st May 2011, 09:56 PM
Because he told me so....same as when I told RWO he was coming to Sydney.

Check my posts but it's irrelevant. The guy tried every medical remedy to get back, wasn't meant to be.

dimelb
31st May 2011, 10:02 PM
Sad for us if so, but not unexpected. He gave us some memorable moments: I won't soon forget that torpedo.

Swannette
31st May 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks, sad news.

ugg
31st May 2011, 10:06 PM
Farewell Braddles, we'll always have that torp.

ScottH
31st May 2011, 10:09 PM
Well it was worth the punt.

Melbournehammer
31st May 2011, 10:21 PM
Sad for him and the club. He really was a very special player (to use a bruceism). My fave moment was actually when he was playing for brisbane against Carlton (it is true I have an irrational hatred of that club stemming from john Elliott) in that elimination final. The goal he scored to win that game made me so happy. Good luck in the future if true

alison.z
31st May 2011, 10:37 PM
The torp goal was worth it all

Primmy
31st May 2011, 10:46 PM
Looks like he has had to hang up his guns, which from the cougers point of view is sad in itself.

Robbo
31st May 2011, 11:14 PM
Was worth a punt, but this isn't surprising. When you recruite a 33 year old with bad knees then you can't expect much from him.

giant
31st May 2011, 11:17 PM
Bloody heart breaking from the "what might have been" department - hope all works out for the fella, it's clear he's tried his best to get back out there.

erica
31st May 2011, 11:21 PM
So enjoyed seeing him run around in the red and white, even if it was only for a few games. Wonder if can teach our youngsters a thing or two about leading?

neilfws
31st May 2011, 11:33 PM
I imagine he'll be remembered (rightly) as a Lion, not a Swan, but it was nice to have him for a while. I'll never forget that after-siren SCG torp against the old club; classic moment.

All the best to him for the future (as a tradie? Didn't he start a carpentry course in anticipation of retirement?)

DLBIA14
1st June 2011, 12:38 AM
Special player, who in the company of champions at Brisbane, probably didn't get the recognition he deserves. A really sad way to end any career, but I hope he and his family do well. If his knees held out, he could have taken us far, but I don't want to make this about what could have been.

His torp will be the little legacy he leaves at the Swans. :) I was in a corporate box that day right behind the goal sticks. It was an amazing moment.

BSA5
1st June 2011, 12:39 AM
Give him an Academy job, hope his kids are good.

Sucks though. We really could have used him, this year and next.

stellation
1st June 2011, 08:00 AM
Say it ain't so, sheriff. Say it ain't so. Don't hang up the big guns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFSdoc9ARY

Plugger1300
1st June 2011, 09:20 AM
How good is the Lead he makes from the goal square, changes direction and never stops working. I will remember him as a Swan!

Untamed Snark
1st June 2011, 09:24 AM
Sad sad news, I always had my fingers crossed that he'd play again.
Would love to see him stay involved with the Swans but whatever he does I hope it goes well for him

Mr Magoo
1st June 2011, 09:48 AM
How good is the Lead he makes from the goal square, changes direction and never stops working. I will remember him as a Swan!

Sad news and good luck to him. BUT how good were those leads in the leadup to that goal - Jesse white (and any one else they fancy as a forward ) should be made to watch reruns of that sort of work over and over and over.

Nich
1st June 2011, 10:16 AM
Quality Forward. What could have been! Gee we looked sharp with Braddy in the team. I give our Mids a hard time but maybe, just maybe if some of the guys led up like Braddy the Mids wouldn't look so bad. Great hands, great kick, great runner.

Plugger46
1st June 2011, 10:36 AM
Like every one else, what could have been. An all time favourite and he only played 9 games for the club!

Absolute gun and hope he enjoys whatever he does post footy.

andyn
1st June 2011, 11:09 AM
Like every one else, what could have been. An all time favourite and he only played 9 games for the club!

Absolute gun and hope he enjoys whatever he does post footy.

Very sad news, but as everyone has said - not unexpected. Does anyone know what this means for us from a contract point of view? Does it free up some more cash for us to go hunting?

magic.merkin
1st June 2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks Braddy on behalf of all footy fans!

msb
1st June 2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah sad news, comes at no surprise though, the poor blokes knee is just shot. I think it is best for us to continue to be developing reid, johnson etc anyway as one of them would of made way for him. All the best braddy.

ernie koala
1st June 2011, 12:09 PM
Fabulous player,over a long career, beautiful shot for goal when up and going, and always capable of doing something special, kicked so many miraculous goals over his career.
Seems a real gentleman off the field.
I hope he stays involved with the club to help out our forwards.
Good luck and best wishes Braddy.

Yuri H
1st June 2011, 12:16 PM
Sad sad sad sad sad. I'd pretty much resigned myself to expecting this - but still, when the moment actually comes it's still heartbreaking.

Captain
1st June 2011, 01:35 PM
Sad news.

Is it official yet?

swansrule100
1st June 2011, 01:50 PM
no disrespect to the opening poster and i am sure he is probably on the money (would make sense) but until its official i will maintain some hope and keep my head in the sand thanks. Come back soon braddy

Matt79
1st June 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm hoping for a miracle...Swannies call up Braddy for one last game against his old mob on Saturday. Shame there does not seem any room for sentiment in footy anymore :(

Miss you Braddy!

Lucky Knickers
1st June 2011, 07:55 PM
Riverina scout?
We need a 21 gun salute to farewell him.
I keep hoping it's not true.

mcs
1st June 2011, 11:01 PM
Really sad end to his career as he could of offered us a lot if his body had of been right. The one lasting memory will be that torpedo- I was sitting right in line behind the goals and from the second it left his boot I knew it was through- one of the most wonderful kicks you would ever wish to see.

magic.merkin
1st June 2011, 11:02 PM
Soooo... If braddy retires this week....

farewell game at the gabba this week?

couldn't be more fitting eh?

Bas
1st June 2011, 11:21 PM

Except he can't play because of injury.

The Big Cat
1st June 2011, 11:57 PM

He can't even run! You may as well give plugger a game!

magic.merkin
2nd June 2011, 12:34 AM
No you muppets I meant lap of honor and all that jazz in front of his true crowd.

haha

swansrob
2nd June 2011, 10:01 AM
He doesn't need to run! Just sit him in the goal square and bomb it in to him - five arms will mark everything in his general vicinity and just needs to kick it a few metres. Bradshaw to kick 10 in his farewell match!

top40
2nd June 2011, 10:22 AM
Today's Herald Sun John Longmire is reported to state that he still holds a hope that Bradshaw will return

Triple B
2nd June 2011, 10:35 AM
Today's Herald Sun John Longmire is reported to state that he still holds a hope that Bradshaw will return

Yes, the official silence over this has been deafening.

If true, and I don't believe the OP was attempting to deceive with his post, I would have expected it would be fitting an announcement would be made this week given we are playing his old side. I guess we may know more by this afternoon, but if not, I still hold hope.

neilfws
2nd June 2011, 11:20 AM

The story - mostly about Sam Reid, just a brief comment on Bradshaw:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gerard-healy-lauds-young-swan-sam-reid/story-e6frf9jf-1226067585164

Longmire remains cautiously optimistic Bradshaw will play again, despite former coach Paul Roos's suggestion this week his season was over.
If Bradshaw never plays again, Healy believes the Swans could look to the open market in trade week, but disgraced former Coleman medallist Brendan Fevola would not be on the shopping list.

We'll see! Like others, I don't doubt the original forum post, but there's still nothing official.

stellation
2nd June 2011, 11:28 AM
From FB

John has just told the media Daniel Bradshaw has taken time off from the club to consider his future. John says Daniel is not sure if he wants to go through another rehab after this latest op. More to follow on
Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (www.sydneyswans.com.au)

Mountain Man
2nd June 2011, 11:34 AM
Not quite on this thread, but, with the conjunction of the Reid and Bradshaw names I wonder where Reid's marks are compared with where Bradshaw held his ground.

It seems to me that Reid is getting far too far up the ground. In that tape of Bradshaw's mighty kick, see how he runs and doubles back, and runs again but is always around the 50 m line. IMHO, Reid would have led, and led, and led and would have been well outside the range.

Hence the concerns about our STRUCTURE in another thread, and how important Bradshaw would have been this year.

Nich
2nd June 2011, 11:35 AM
How bizarre really. Obviously John and Braddy don't talk much. How can just so recently John say that he is cautiously optimistic of D-Bra returning while Braddy is telling other people he is done and dusted? Weird.

Peace
2nd June 2011, 11:36 AM
The torp goal was worth it all

Yes.

Nich
2nd June 2011, 11:37 AM
Not quite on this thread, but, with the conjunction of the Reid and Bradshaw names I wonder where Reid's marks are compared with where Bradshaw held his ground.

It seems to me that Reid is getting far too far up the ground. In that tape of Bradshaw's mighty kick, see how he runs and doubles back, and runs again but is always around the 50 m line. IMHO, Reid would have led, and led, and led and would have been well outside the range.

Hence the concerns about our STRUCTURE in another thread, and how important Bradshaw would have been this year.

Yeah but Braddy was playing more FF while Sam is playing CHF. Braddy wasn't doing much running up the ground last year while Sam comes up onto the wing at times. LJ and Jesse should be doing what Guns was doing in that clip.

Snake
2nd June 2011, 11:46 AM
Not good....... Mind is willing but the body isn't holding up:(

magic.merkin
2nd June 2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah but Braddy was playing more FF while Sam is playing CHF. Braddy wasn't doing much running up the ground last year while Sam comes up onto the wing at times. LJ and Jesse should be doing what Guns was doing in that clip.

exaccery

AnnieH
2nd June 2011, 12:47 PM
Sad news, but we all saw it coming.

Braddles, they should give you a job as a "forwards" coach (or assistant). Do us the world of good.

swansrule100
2nd June 2011, 01:52 PM
can he walk or move at all? still be useful as a forward even stationery compared the current set up :P

aardvark
2nd June 2011, 02:38 PM
Shame we can't put his head on Jesse's shoulders....

RogueSwan
2nd June 2011, 02:57 PM
Shame we can't put his head on Jesse's shoulders....

... and the guns on Jetta.:)

Untamed Snark
2nd June 2011, 03:23 PM
... and the guns on Jetta.:)

You leave Braddy's guns right where they are thank you!!

Cheer Squad
2nd June 2011, 03:26 PM
The whole thing has become ridiculous.

It's one thing to have a perpetually injured KPP on the list, but to add uncertainty as to whether he even wants to go on with it is taking things too far.

We don't need this sort of distraction. We need to focus on re-building our forward line, and move on.

Go Swannies
2nd June 2011, 04:13 PM

It's one thing to have a perpetually injured KPP on the list, but to add uncertainty as to whether he even wants to go on with it is taking things too far.

We don't need this sort of distraction. We need to focus on re-building our forward line, and move on.

Do you think that the selection committee each week say "Of course Bradshaw will be at full forward. Oh no, he's injured"?

He got treated with no courtesy at his last club; let him work it out in his own time at ours.

We could have got rid of Craig Bolton over a year ago when the doctors said he wouldn't be able to play again. And what about all the kids on the long term injury list over the years? Let 'em go? How about LRT?

Plugger46
2nd June 2011, 04:17 PM

Who's distracted?

Cheer Squad
2nd June 2011, 04:24 PM
Do you think that the selection committee each week say "Of course Bradshaw will be at full forward. Oh no, he's injured"?

He got treated with no courtesy at his last club; let him work it out in his own time at ours.

We could have got rid of Craig Bolton over a year ago when the doctors said he wouldn't be able to play again. And what about all the kids on the long term injury list over the years? Let 'em go? How about LRT?

It's not credible to compare Craig Bolton's service to the club with Bradshaw's.

As far your indulgent attitude goes about working things out in his own time, we're a football club and a business, not a charity.

Plugger46
2nd June 2011, 04:55 PM
It's not credible to compare Craig Bolton's service to the club with Bradshaw's.

As far your indulgent attitude goes about working things out in his own time, we're a football club and a business, not a charity.

Still got nothing personal against him?

You'll get your wish, he's going to retire but to say he can't have a couple of days to decide his future is ridiculous. Whether you agree with the club recruiting him is irrelevant, he's done everything in his power to get back on the field for OUR club and on that alone, he deserves some time and respect.

sprite
2nd June 2011, 05:04 PM

Jeez I'm glad I don't work for you and suffer an injury. Based on your attitude then any player who is out for extended periods would be given the flick pronto

It's not charity but the clubs' duty of care to allow him time to decide his future, that's what makes our club great.

Agree with Plugger he's done all he can to get back - so cut him some slack

Cheer Squad
2nd June 2011, 05:07 PM
Still got nothing personal against him?

That is a bitter thing to say.

If he does pull the plug, I wish him well in retirement, and hope that his knee recovers sufficiently so as not to permanently hinder his mobility later in life.

Bas
2nd June 2011, 08:34 PM
On the news segment on League Teams, they said that Bradshaw had been given leave from the Club to consider his future.

They interviewed Horse who said the Club was fully supporting him.

So not long now before it's official.

Go Swannies
3rd June 2011, 12:51 AM
It looks like he may retire at the same time as Baz.

Bloody Hell
3rd June 2011, 06:40 AM
Been waiting for the offical word prior to posting comment, but on consulting my magic 8-ball it says all signs point to yes.

Left me wanting more in the red and white, but seems a top bloke - will undoubtedly do well in the future.

ShockOfHair
3rd June 2011, 03:17 PM
Looks like the end is nigh for Bazza too.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/veteran-barry-halls-fate-in-balance/story-e6frf9jf-1226068318283

top40
3rd June 2011, 03:49 PM
Is this the longest retirement event in history?

royboy42
3rd June 2011, 06:06 PM
Steve Waugh?

Big Al
3rd June 2011, 06:25 PM

John Farnham.

Bas
3rd June 2011, 06:56 PM
John Farnham.

That's freedom!!!

Wardy
3rd June 2011, 08:17 PM
John Farnham.

yeah but he keeps forgetting that he's retired and keeps booking gigs - its sending his fans to the poor house!!

Wardy
3rd June 2011, 08:37 PM
in all seriousness its very sad if this is the end for Braddy - he deserved better really.

So it didnt work out how we'd planned it - thats life. We aren't the first club to have this situation, and we wont be the last. Lets just wait and see where the future takes the club.

Lucky Knickers
3rd June 2011, 11:08 PM
We'll always have that torp....

Snake
9th June 2011, 01:47 PM
Because he told me so....same as when I told RWO he was coming to Sydney.

Check my posts but it's irrelevant. The guy tried every medical remedy to get back, wasn't meant to be.

Any news on the old warrior??? See as your on speaking terms.......

SthMelbDieHard
10th June 2011, 02:38 PM
Bradders is having some time away to consider his options. Club is obviously very keen for him to stay on so have suggested the break. The issue has become a sensitive one so we're best to just let him work through and I suspect a decision will be coming in the next fortnight.

Plugger46
16th June 2011, 08:12 PM
Meeting the medical staff tomorrow according to Fox Sports news.

Bas
16th June 2011, 08:13 PM
They would have to work something out in terms of his contract before he made any announcement.

erica
17th June 2011, 08:48 AM
From the Swans on Facebook:
Daniel Bradshaw has decided to call it quits after stellar 231-game career. He'll hold a news conference today but says it comes as a relief. Even though it didn't work out perfectly, the Club has been rapt to have Daniel. He came in the 2009 pre-season draft on a two year contract, and we didn't have to trade anyone. He put in several great performances, and everyone at the club wishes him all the best.

Dan
17th June 2011, 08:48 AM
All over now :(

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2011, 08:53 AM
shame he didnt get to play more as he is a champion player

interesting to note only a two year contract ??.............as I guessed the third year was optional in the clubs favour which was good management by the Swans as he was certainly worth the risk.....

"Bradshaw came to the Swans in the pre-season draft at the end of 2009, which meant the Club did not have to trade a player to gain Daniel on a two-year contract."

stellation
17th June 2011, 09:08 AM
I don't think I've heard any suggestion whatsoever that it was only a 2 year contract before? "came in the 2009 pre-season draft on a two year contract, and we didn't have to trade anyone." sounds like the club trying to go into damage control mode early.

Untamed Snark
17th June 2011, 09:12 AM
Not unexpected but I have to admit I did hold onto a glimmer of hope that we'd see him again.

Peace
17th June 2011, 09:57 AM
Not unexpected but I have to admit I did hold onto a glimmer of hope that we'd see him again.

same here :(

ugg
17th June 2011, 10:10 AM
Wasn't it was a three year deal, he refused to accept Brisbane's offer of two?

Kirkari
17th June 2011, 10:30 AM
Very sad. 9 games. 28 goals. Thanks Braddie and all the best for the future.

Yuri H
17th June 2011, 10:30 AM

That's what I thought upon reading this as well.

stellation
17th June 2011, 11:07 AM

I think Brisbane's was 1st year guaranteed upfront, 2nd year guaranteed if he met performance conditions (I'm assuming those included "being available for X number of games in 1st year"). I guess thinking of it now it's feasible the Swans offered him a similar structure with the first 2 guaranteed and the 3rd with conditions along those lines?

Certainly this is the first I've heard, as far as I can recall, of anything less than 3- and I'm sure the club would have trotted it out earlier if there were performance based components.

msb
17th June 2011, 11:28 AM

Yes I did too, he would of been invaluable to the team in the back end of the season.

Go Swannies
17th June 2011, 11:32 AM
Yes I did too, he would of been invaluable to the team in the back end of the season.

Nope. Like B2 Braddy is the past and we have to build to the future.

Braddy, thanks for the great games - and that torp - and I wish we'd had you a few years earlier. But I love the way you are a retiring Swans star, not the Brions, and I hope you stay around to show us how to kick straight. Hmm, I wonder what you're doing after the press conference . . .

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2011, 12:36 PM
AFL Videos - AFL match replays - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/364551/swanstv+bradshaws+retirement+press+conference/default.aspx)

royboy42
17th June 2011, 01:52 PM
AFL Videos - AFL match replays - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/364551/swanstv+bradshaws+retirement+press+conference/default.aspx)

Any reason we should watch the Suns captaincy announcement?

ShockOfHair
17th June 2011, 02:00 PM
Maybe AG meant The Torp.

Swans TV - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Multimedia/tabid/8664/contentid/364613/Default.aspx)

Robbo
17th June 2011, 02:02 PM
I'm glad we were able to give him another chance after Vossy shafted him, and that torp he kicked from 60 against Brisbane last year was a sweet moment.

He was a wonderful player.

msb
17th June 2011, 02:48 PM
Nope. Like B2 Braddy is the past and we have to build to the future.

Braddy, thanks for the great games - and that torp - and I wish we'd had you a few years earlier. But I love the way you are a retiring Swans star, not the Brions, and I hope you stay around to show us how to kick straight. Hmm, I wonder what you're doing after the press conference . . .

Totally agree, but for THIS year he may of been the difference in getting into the top 4 but we will never know.

Primmy
17th June 2011, 03:05 PM
Braddy needs a new job. Goal kicking coach for instance? Position available NOW......

reigning premier
17th June 2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks for nothing you washed up old hack.

Came to Sydney and did nothing but clog the list and fill our salary cap.

CJK
17th June 2011, 03:34 PM

lol

royboy42
17th June 2011, 03:49 PM

Sigh!

nomae
17th June 2011, 03:53 PM

Perhaps you should say that to his face?

AnnieH
17th June 2011, 03:57 PM
I'm glad we were able to give him another chance after Vossy shafted him, and that torp he kicked from 60 against Brisbane last year was a sweet moment.

He was a wonderful player.

Horse gave him a blown up photo of the torp at the going away press conference.
Nice one.

Braddles ... I'll miss our chats.
What a top blooke.

AnnieH
17th June 2011, 03:58 PM
Perhaps you should say that to his face?

I'm pretty sure he did.

reigning premier
17th June 2011, 04:57 PM
Horse gave him a blown up photo of the torp at the going away press conference.
Nice one.

Braddles ... I'll miss our chats.
What a top blooke.

If your definition of a top bloke is someone who turns up at your party, brings a 6 pack of VB cans, and then drinks all your Corona. Feels up your Missus after kicking the dog on the way out is a top bloke, why yes, Then he's a top bloke.

Untamed Snark
17th June 2011, 05:11 PM

If your definition of a top bloke is someone who turns up at your party, brings a 6 pack of VB cans, and then drinks all your Corona. Feels up your Missus after kicking the dog on the way out is a top bloke, why yes, Then he's a top bloke.

Wrong time of the month?

Bloody Hell
17th June 2011, 05:25 PM
Is your dog OK?

reigning premier
17th June 2011, 05:25 PM
Wrong time of the month?

No. I feel this way about all players that contribute nothing to the club.

Untamed Snark
17th June 2011, 05:39 PM

As has been pointed out elsewhere, we have no idea what Braddy contributed off field, all we see is mafia spots and on field action.
As to clogging the salary cap who would you have us take-realistically?

sprite
17th June 2011, 07:50 PM

Well if he contributed nothing - why would he keep trying to get back on the field. He could have walked the first time his knee troubled him.

What are your thoughts on Jamie Lawson, Gareth John?

I believe he came in good faith to try and keep his career going and prove his worth. He was recruited to fill a gap that the club saw after Hall left.

I feel your comment is unwarranted

Peace
17th June 2011, 08:21 PM

Still with the missus.....???;)

Lucky Knickers
17th June 2011, 08:25 PM
Sad to see the Sheriff and his big guns ride out of town and into the sunset [Albury/Wodonga].
It was a beautiful dream and we'll always have the torp.
Fine player and a fine career.

Hope his boys can stay in the academy.

Triple B
17th June 2011, 08:36 PM
I'm confused with the last page and a bit. :confused:

dimelb
17th June 2011, 08:51 PM
Shame he didn't get here sooner and stay longer. As it stands, an outstanding cameo for the previous season. Thanks Braddles and all the best for the future.

ScottH
17th June 2011, 09:21 PM
Shame he didn't get here sooner and stay longer. As it stands, an outstanding cameo for the previous season. Thanks Braddles and all the best for the future.

Yeh, A bit like getting spider one year too late. :(

Big Al
17th June 2011, 09:28 PM
All the best for the future Braddles.

We'll always have that torp. A thing of beauty it was and one the great moments of 2010.

Cheer_Cheer
17th June 2011, 10:59 PM
When he kicked THAT torp it was magic for me because I believed we were real contenders..

reigning premier
17th June 2011, 11:42 PM
Well if he contributed nothing - why would he keep trying to get back on the field. He could have walked the first time his knee troubled him.

What are your thoughts on Jamie Lawson, Gareth John?

I believe he came in good faith to try and keep his career going and prove his worth. He was recruited to fill a gap that the club saw after Hall left.

I feel your comment is unwarranted

I feel you'd prefer the Swans to be a benevolent society that gives aging footballers a golden handshake rather than winning premierships.

reigning premier
17th June 2011, 11:43 PM
All the best for the future Braddles.

We'll always have that torp. A thing of beauty it was and one the great moments of 2010.

It was a great kick. But what do you reckon?? $250k a season?? Worth half a mill you think?

Bas
17th June 2011, 11:58 PM
The Telegraph says that it was a 3 year contract for 1.2 million. So for 9 games that works out at $133,333 per game.

I hope they keep him on as kicking coach for the rest of his contract.

Big gamble on a champion player which didn't come off. Unfortunately financial reality tends to shorten the period of grief.

Although he cost us nothing in the draft/trade, he cost us plenty financially and possibly disadvantages the Club next year.

I hope the Swans recruiting learn from this experiment. The gamble for the potential gains, is far outweighed by the potential loss - as has now happened.

Good luck to him, its the person who gambled on his recruitment that should be blamed.

laughingnome
17th June 2011, 11:58 PM
It was a great kick. But what do you reckon?? $250k a season?? Worth half a mill you think?

Not our money (the AFL pays all player salaries, not the club) so that arguement is specious.

Jewels
18th June 2011, 02:44 PM
Not our money (the AFL pays all player salaries, not the club) so that arguement is specious.

So I am correct in thinking that player salaries are covered by the AFL and as we had so much room in the salary cap anyway, all the bleating on here about how much he "cost us" is irrelevant?

laughingnome
18th June 2011, 03:55 PM
So I am correct in thinking that player salaries are covered by the AFL and as we had so much room in the salary cap anyway, all the bleating on here about how much he "cost us" is irrelevant?

Well, kinda. Financially he cost the bottom line nothing, but the argument could be made that took up a spot on the list, stopping the Swans from recruiting someone else that might have more long-term benefit. I don't believe that however, as the Club was aware it was taking a gamble (just as if we had taken some young untried player) and Bradshaw didn't cost us any trade currency (picks, players, etc).

sprite
18th June 2011, 04:04 PM
I feel you'd prefer the Swans to be a benevolent society that gives aging footballers a golden handshake rather than winning premierships.

I expect the recruiters/ match committee / coaching panel to choose the best available talent that will a: get us the next flag and b: assist in developnig the talent we have to get the next flag.

I would expect that he has been able to assist the current crop of players with some insights and knowledge he has learned from his career.

If he could stay around the club to assist a specialist coach that would be fantastic, I suppose you would see that as charity:rolleyes:

He was recruited to fill a gap, when we didn't have the necessary cattle to put on the field.

So you'd pass on a proven quality premiership player, just because they may provide only one or two years and clog our list.

So we couldn't pick an 18 year old at pick 70+,who most likely won't get past the initial contract period. They are the real list cloggers

He cost us basically nothing - no picks or players traded.

BSA5
18th June 2011, 04:50 PM

Seriously, wtf? Sure, the guy couldn't contribute as much as we wanted him to, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Brisbane can feel that way about Fev, but Bradshaw's knee dodging up and him spending a year trying to fix it before agreeing to end his contract a year earlier than he had do is hardly the same.

Grow the @@@@ up and show some class.

Jewels
18th June 2011, 07:56 PM
Seriously, wtf? Sure, the guy couldn't contribute as much as we wanted him to, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Brisbane can feel that way about Fev, but Bradshaw's knee dodging up and him spending a year trying to fix it before agreeing to end his contract a year earlier than he had do is hardly the same.

Reaching for the sky a bit there I reckon........

reigning premier
19th June 2011, 12:11 AM

you mean like by swearing at someone on an internet forum?? Klassy.....

Nich
19th June 2011, 01:03 AM
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac3/NichBaker/Jackson_popcorn.gif

Lucky Knickers
19th June 2011, 11:32 AM
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac3/NichBaker/Jackson_popcorn.gif
Hee hee

Auntie.Gerald
21st June 2011, 03:27 PM
on the couch this week Roos confirmed that Bradshaw was signed to a 3 yr contract

hhhhmmmmm

chalbilto
21st June 2011, 09:56 PM
Yes and Roos also said that Bradshaw was the difference in the Swans being a top 4 side. If only his knee had held up.

ShockOfHair
22nd June 2011, 01:26 AM
He just fell in our lap. If that's how we plan to be a top four side god help us.

Go Swannies
22nd June 2011, 08:10 AM
He just fell in our lap. If that's how we plan to be a top four side god help us.

For certainty I recommend bio-engineering. Then we can even pick eye colour.

aardvark
22nd June 2011, 08:21 AM
For certainty I recommend bio-engineering. Then we can even pick eye colour.

Hmmm.... now who's tried that before? We do seem to have a lot of blondes in the team.......and we're sponsored by Volkswagen. Hmmmm... you might be on to something there.

Lucky Knickers
22nd June 2011, 09:09 PM
How about we look here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wayne-carey-expected-to-make-footy-comeback-for-suburban-club/story-e6frf7jo-1226080091183)for our next FF?
He was always meant to be ours and we have a good track record of turning thugs and dickheads into sweet, well-behaved, lovable big boofheads.
We managed to love and adore Plugger. Stranger things have happened.

erica
22nd June 2011, 09:30 PM
How about we look here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wayne-carey-expected-to-make-footy-comeback-for-suburban-club/story-e6frf7jo-1226080091183)for our next FF?
He was always meant to be ours and we have a good track record of turning thugs and dickheads into sweet, well-behaved, lovable big boofheads.
We managed to love and adore Plugger. Stranger things have happened.

:eek: We're not THAT desperate yet...

Legs Akimbo
22nd June 2011, 09:37 PM
Yes and Roos also said that Bradshaw was the difference in the Swans being a top 4 side. If only his knee had held up.

He would say that, wouldn't he.

Plugger46
22nd June 2011, 09:45 PM
He would say that, wouldn't he.

In fairness, he was really talking about any good key forward, Bradshaw was just the example.

Bas
22nd June 2011, 10:06 PM
:eek: We're not THAT desperate yet...

Reminds me I have to put a toilet duck on the shopping list this week.