PDA

View Full Version : Time to debut Currie

Aaron
1st June 2011, 01:35 PM
Currie was drafted in 2006, one of the two in our senior list who have not yet debut. ( The other one is Lamb who is a first year draftee currently injured.)

LRT is not a good enough ruckman and his best position is playing the back. LRT ranked 38th in average HO this year with 6.3. (Mummy is fifth with30.8)

Seaby is not too outstanding as well. (He had just 19 HO last week which roughly should rank 20th ) In terms of Time on Ground, Seaby only had 66% and LRT at 67% last week, comparing to Mummy's average of 81.8% this year! Unlike Mummy, Seaby has not played significant more time on the field after the new sub rule. He was hardly seen in the 4th quarter last week. Endurance problem?

Brisbane has two very good ruck man. Leuenberger is ranked 7th with 30.3 average HO and McCauley ranked 16th with 20.7 HO this year.

So Seaby needs a decent ruckman to help!

Currie was named one of the best in the last reserve match and earned praise from Playfair for shouldering the ruck duty almost alone after White was injured.

Currie has played as Ruck/forward in the reserve matches just as RLT is currently used in the seniors.

Pyke and Mummy will be back very soon and if Currie don't debut now, it will be very difficult to get a chance again. We should let him show what he is capable of.

So Currie and TDL IN this weekend with AJ and Parker OUT.
RLT moves to the back and AJ should try as a forward/ruck in the reserve. In AJ's own words in the last draft, he is "a persistent, hard working forward who has the versatility to play as a defender or midfielder. My defensive pressure is a key point of my game." It is a good chance for him to try playing forward and expand his learning/

magic.merkin
1st June 2011, 01:53 PM
The man speak sense ^

Now or never for Currie, we need LRT down back to help out with Brown and Clarke and to be our Soccer Goalie.

ScottH
1st June 2011, 02:09 PM
Agree, he's been around long enough.
Surely he has earned a call up, soon.

aardvark
1st June 2011, 03:19 PM
Can anyone seriously imagine Currie competing with Leuenberger or Clarke ? I think we've all been watching too may "Hack comes good and wins the day" movies.

Cheer Squad
1st June 2011, 03:26 PM
Agree, he's been around long enough.
Surely he has earned a call up, soon.

Either that, or trade/de-list him.

He's been around too long not to have made his seniors debut.

magic.merkin
1st June 2011, 04:30 PM
Can anyone seriously imagine Currie competing with Leuenberger or Clarke ? I think we've all been watching too may "Hack comes good and wins the day" movies.

I think he could compete better than LRT. It's his full time role, it needs filling as Seaby can't do it alone and our 2 other ruckmen are injured.

hence now or never.

Bloody Hell
1st June 2011, 04:41 PM
Agree with this, however - with Pyke, White and Mumford injured he should get a game with the knowledge that Mumford will return the following week.

As stated, there's no way he'll be less effective than LRT.

ernie koala
1st June 2011, 05:28 PM
While I agree with the general sentiment here Re: Currie. With TDL presumably coming in, a tall needs to be dropped to accommodate Curry.....Who?? LRT, Ted, Reid...can't see any of them dropped.
Drop AJ ?? He hasn't put a foot wrong, he's been dependable and assured beyond his years...It would be harsh to say the least, and sending him a pretty confused message.
He did take a heavy knock last week, but if he's not injured I don't think he'll be dropped.
So I reckon, sadly, it'll be LRT doing the backup ruck work not Currie.

Cpt. Kirk
1st June 2011, 05:35 PM
Drop AJ ?? He hasn't put a foot wrong, he's been dependable and assured beyond his years...It would be harsh to say the least, and sending him a pretty confused message.

Agree Dropping AJ would be the worse decision longmire could make.
Young player who is playing better then you'd ever expect out of any player picked that late in the draft.
Apperently he is one of the hardest working players in the team and he loves playing in the seniors you see it when he runs on to the ground and when he comes off the ground.

+ He is in my dreamteam.

Aaron
21st June 2011, 10:19 AM
It is really worthwhile to bring this up again!

Mummy will be out for 2 weeks (or 3 if appeal is not successful)
We were caught slow and tired against Carlton.
We still need to work out our forward structure
We are facing THE Collingwood this week - have to take risk!
Jolly is refreshed and back
We have to look at our medium to long term goal.
Currie has been in his best ever forms and has been named in the best for the past few weeks in the second.
Currie kicked 4 goals last week.
RLT may have to replace Richards at the back.
Pyke has not played last week and is not ready.
Seaby can't do it alone!

Nich
21st June 2011, 10:29 AM
I hear ya!!

jono2707
21st June 2011, 10:31 AM
I think it all hinges on whether Teddy is right for this game - if not then LRT goes back, opening a place for a forward/ruck combo. Dan might get his chance, albeit against a tough opposition. Would have been ideal for Pykey so I guess Dan is the logical replacement if that's the way the selectors see it....

aardvark
21st June 2011, 11:34 AM
Poor Dan. Imagine working your a#$% off for 4 years to become an AFL player, finally finding some form then getting selected for your debut game against an elite premiership ruckman playing in the best team in the comp. Jolly would tear him to shreds.
Still, who knows, it might work........

Go Swannies
21st June 2011, 11:48 AM
Poor Dan. Imagine working your a#$% off for 4 years to become an AFL player, finally finding some form then getting selected for your debut game against an elite premiership ruckman playing in the best team in the comp. Jolly would tear him to shreds.

At least our inside players should know where to be to receive the tap no matter which ruckman wins it.

dimelb
21st June 2011, 11:59 AM
If I were in Dan's place I would jump at the chance (so to speak). He has to start somewhere and why not with the best. I think everyone agrees that we are not a realistic premiership contender this year, so the priority becomes getting games into the players. Going on what the ressie watchers say I don't think he'd disgrace himself, and he'll have another week or two at least to get a feel for the game at this level. Bring him on.

Mountain Man
21st June 2011, 12:15 PM
And, after a very hard Collingwood game, he should get the second week of play against Adelaide.

jono2707
21st June 2011, 12:34 PM

There are tougher opponents to debut against - Sandi, Cox, Kreuzer come to mind, plus maybe Goldstein, Luenberger, McEvoy and even young Zac Smith in their current form. I don't think Jolly is currently in the top tier of ruckmen but the rest of the Pies would sure be a tough team to debut against....

Is it just me that harbours a deep hatred of Jolly since he left us to go to the dark side? I would have loved to see Mummy sling him head-first into the ground and send him off to Disneyland for a while. Now that would have been worth a couple of weeks' suspension...

Go Swannies
21st June 2011, 01:04 PM
There are tougher opponents to debut against - Sandi, Cox, Kreuzer come to mind, plus maybe Goldstein, Luenberger, McEvoy and even young Zac Smith in their current form. I don't think Jolly is currently in the top tier of ruckmen but the rest of the Pies would sure be a tough team to debut against....

Is it just me that harbours a deep hatred of Jolly since he left us to go to the dark side? I would have loved to see Mummy sling him head-first into the ground and send him off to Disneyland for a while. Now that would have been worth a couple of weeks' suspension...

It's not just you. He's a self-serving dimwit that keeps getting lucky. Good at his job but his lack of loyalty is not very likeable. Still he gave us Mummy and Seabs and gave Myke a chance to shine so mine is not an active hatred just a low level dislike.

Untamed Snark
21st June 2011, 01:20 PM

I respect his right to choose a different club if his family were not happy in Sydney, his request to join ****ingwood is a completely different matter.
I hope Seabs & {to be announced} pants him on Saturday

Nich
21st June 2011, 01:32 PM
Mummy pounding Jolly into the turf would be a Season highlight for me. Not saying I would like to see him hurt...but yeah...if he happened to be hurt in the incident I think I would be OK with that ;)

aardvark
21st June 2011, 01:46 PM
This wasn't mean't to be a Jolly hate thread. Good luck to Currie if he gets a chance.

BSA5
21st June 2011, 01:51 PM
Worth a shot. He's been in forward form as well as ruck form. If Teddy is out, LRT goes back, and we need another ruckman/FF. Currie could be that man.

Dosser
21st June 2011, 02:02 PM
Currie was drafted in 2006, one of the two in our senior list who have not yet debut. ( The other one is Lamb who is a first year draftee currently injured.)

LRT is not a good enough ruckman and his best position is playing the back. LRT ranked 38th in average HO this year with 6.3. (Mummy is fifth with30.8)

Seaby is not too outstanding as well. (He had just 19 HO last week which roughly should rank 20th ) In terms of Time on Ground, Seaby only had 66% and LRT at 67% last week, comparing to Mummy's average of 81.8% this year! Unlike Mummy, Seaby has not played significant more time on the field after the new sub rule. He was hardly seen in the 4th quarter last week. Endurance problem?

Brisbane has two very good ruck man. Leuenberger is ranked 7th with 30.3 average HO and McCauley ranked 16th with 20.7 HO this year.

So Seaby needs a decent ruckman to help!

Currie was named one of the best in the last reserve match and earned praise from Playfair for shouldering the ruck duty almost alone after White was injured.

Currie has played as Ruck/forward in the reserve matches just as RLT is currently used in the seniors.

Pyke and Mummy will be back very soon and if Currie don't debut now, it will be very difficult to get a chance again. We should let him show what he is capable of.

So Currie and TDL IN this weekend with AJ and Parker OUT.
RLT moves to the back and AJ should try as a forward/ruck in the reserve. In AJ's own words in the last draft, he is "a persistent, hard working forward who has the versatility to play as a defender or midfielder. My defensive pressure is a key point of my game." It is a good chance for him to try playing forward and expand his learning/

I think you might find that you could see him in the third quarter, unfortunately it was on the sub's bench. That might account for his lack of action at the end...

Dosser
21st June 2011, 02:03 PM
sorry, 4th quarter.

swansrob
21st June 2011, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't White still be ahead of Currie??

jono2707
21st June 2011, 02:34 PM

Not if White is being developed as a forward, which seems to be the consensus on here. From what I've seen Currie is a ruckman who is handy up forward. I think most of us agree that playing Jesse in the ruck has not been good for his continued development - neither has playing his recent matches in mudbaths....

liz
21st June 2011, 02:34 PM

It isn't necessarily a case of either/or. If Ted is out, we're two talls down on last week. Arguably we could have done with one smaller player against the Blues, but if the coaches decide to keep a similar structure, there is room for both. Jesse has been doing a fair amount of ruck work since he went back to the reserves, which suggests they haven't yet given up on the idea of him doubling up as a relief ruckman.

Goodes may be the key. If they feel they need him more in the midfield or he will be more effective there against the Pies, that suggests we need a permanent forward presence (ie White) as well as someone to relieve Seaby. If we had a fit and firing Mummy capable of doing the bulk of the ruckwork, it might work to borrow Jesse from the forward line for short periods. But Seaby probably needs more assistance than a fit Mumford would, suggesting another proper ruckman wouldn't go amiss.

Untamed Snark
21st June 2011, 03:32 PM
This wasn't mean't to be a Jolly hate thread. Good luck to Currie if he gets a chance.

Multitasking?

Auntie.Gerald
21st June 2011, 07:58 PM
let white crash the contest I say...............we have nothing to loose with Jesse coming back to FF and bashing the contest for our fast midfield flying thru :)

India'sDad
21st June 2011, 08:06 PM
Well a Swans debut is the only thing that will convince me to make the trek west to watch the flogging. I respect Horse's general approach that one has to spend time in the rezzies to find form so its time to Tighe to take a spell - which makes it a relatively easy swap Currie in as ruck and LRT back to key defender.

Robbo
21st June 2011, 08:11 PM
I don't get to see our reserves play. Is Currie still skinny or has he bulked up? Surely after 4 pre seasons he has the body to play AFL footy. If he doesn't get a look in during the next two weeks then I can't see how he ever will.

Triple B
21st June 2011, 08:28 PM
I don't get to see our reserves play. Is Currie still skinny or has he bulked up?

Still relatively skinny unfortunately...

Lucky Knickers
21st June 2011, 08:47 PM
I don't get to see our reserves play. Is Currie still skinny or has he bulked up? Surely after 4 pre seasons he has the body to play AFL footy. If he doesn't get a look in during the next two weeks then I can't see how he ever will.

Still relatively skinny unfortunately...
Yep but I think he has filled out a bit this season IMO. Appears more manly than boyish.

sprite
21st June 2011, 09:37 PM
Bring him in - good time as any to get his baptism of fire. He would have worked with Jolly so may have an idea of how to handle him.

alison.z
22nd June 2011, 11:26 AM
He won us the trivia night last week ... New favourite ... Bring him in!!