PDA

View Full Version : Bird on song

dimelb
3rd June 2011, 06:26 PM
Nice story on Bird. Isn't he shaping up to be a great pick at number 59?

Bird back on his feet - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/115427/default.aspx)

Triple B
3rd June 2011, 08:31 PM
Nice story on Bird. Isn't he shaping up to be a great pick at number 59?

Bird back on his feet - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/115427/default.aspx)

He was a NSW Scholarship pick, the Swans just had to use their last pick on him, so Pick 59 may easily have been Pick 89.

That said, he may have not gone a hell of a lot higher on the open market anyway.

And I agree, he is starting to look good. I think injuries may have affected his development a bit more than we have thought.

Big Al
5th June 2011, 12:51 AM
He was sensational tonight. Nearly BOG for mine.

ScottH
5th June 2011, 12:33 PM
I reckon he was BOG!!

liz
5th June 2011, 12:40 PM
Would be nice to see him improve his goal conversion rate. He's worked himself into position to have a lot of shots over the past fortnight but he's been rushing them a bit. I think he has it in him to be a much better finisher.

royboy42
5th June 2011, 02:20 PM
He sorted James Kelly a month or so ago...developing from a good stopper nicely! He'll be in the 22 for a loooong time.

5th June 2011, 03:32 PM
Yes I agree that Bird is really starting to fly now, last night was probably his best game for us. Always looked to have potential and we're only just starting to see it now. He's a midfield certainty for a long time now and I'm impressed with the midfield list we are now building.

BSA5
5th June 2011, 03:51 PM
Would be nice to see him improve his goal conversion rate. He's worked himself into position to have a lot of shots over the past fortnight but he's been rushing them a bit. I think he has it in him to be a much better finisher.

His conversion rate prior to this season has been top notch. Agreed that he's been rushing himself a bit this year, but he's a good kick of the ball when he gives himself time, and he usually has more of it than he thinks.

swansrule100
5th June 2011, 05:52 PM
he must be improving, theres been a dramatic increase on bird based puns about him in the media.

Always loved birdy, maybe just because he took number 14, but he has cemented a spot in the side now

GoRhino
5th June 2011, 06:27 PM

I've never been a fan but he's certainly lifted in recent weeks and seems a little quicker in his decision making and reactions. This might explain his missed shots. Certainly had a great game last night and looks set for a good second half to the season.

Red
6th June 2011, 01:58 PM
I think he's benefitted with Jack being out and taking on his role of keeping a good player quiet while hurting them the other way.

Hopefully he can keep this going when Jack returns. It'd be great to have two players who perform this task well.

liz
6th June 2011, 02:06 PM
I think he's benefitted with Jack being out and taking on his role of keeping a good player quiet while hurting them the other way.

Hopefully he can keep this going when Jack returns. It'd be great to have two players who perform this task well.

Maybe, though Bird was also doing these roles before Jack got injured. What has been impressive about Bird's last two weeks especially is that he is finding plenty of the ball himself, as well as doing a decent shutdown role. He's going to struggle on the more explosive type midfielders - like Judd for instance - so having him and Jack (and Shaw) gives the coaches several different options.

Ruck'n'Roll
6th June 2011, 02:12 PM
As his profile rises, more opponents are going to work out his baulk, and his lack of leg speed will make that pretty fatal.

GongSwan
6th June 2011, 02:27 PM
I reckon he was BOG!!

Hard to go past Judes 35 posession game for BOG, ut yes, he has improved greatly over the last few weeks, maybe finally geting his confidence back after all those prolonged stress fractures

stellation
6th June 2011, 02:38 PM
As his profile rises, more opponents are going to work out his baulk, and his lack of leg speed will make that pretty fatal.

He's had that his whole career, with the amount of professionalism in the game nowadays I'd be very suprised if teams weren't already aware of it. Baulks/sidesteps executed well (and he does do it well) get a reflex action, it's very difficult to train it into people's heads to avoid.

dimelb
6th June 2011, 03:05 PM
But even if they work out his baulk they still have to counter the speed and accuracy of those hands.

royboy42
6th June 2011, 04:27 PM
He's had that his whole career, with the amount of professionalism in the game nowadays I'd be very suprised if teams weren't already aware of it. Baulks/sidesteps executed well (and he does do it well) get a reflex action, it's very difficult to train it into people's heads to avoid.
I agree that it's almost impossible to train against it. Especially when LRT pulls it out as on Sat night!

Captain
6th June 2011, 04:46 PM
Was his best game by far. Needs to string them together now.

stellation
6th June 2011, 05:02 PM
I agree that it's almost impossible to train against it. Especially when LRT pulls it out as on Sat night!

:D Can you imagine the mulling over that will cause for scouts? They'll make a note of "LRT is full of tricks, has the ball on a string- watch for him to be creative!" then have to contemplate for a while just whether they actually submit that for analysis with his next likely opponent.

stellation
6th June 2011, 05:03 PM
Was his best game by far. Needs to string them together now.

I reckon that he probably just has! ;)

Legs Akimbo
6th June 2011, 06:16 PM

Robert Harvey did well out of his his baulk over 350 games. Was effective in his last game as his first. Birdy's baulk is BETTER than Harvey's. The people who questioned the quality of Bird are not that cluey to be honest. I said it a while back. Bird is the most pure footballer on our list and will achieve great things for the Swans over the next decade.

DeadlyAkkuret
6th June 2011, 10:44 PM
Robert Harvey did well out of his his baulk over 350 games. Was effective in his last game as his first. Birdy's baulk is BETTER than Harvey's. The people who questioned the quality of Bird are not that cluey to be honest. I said it a while back. Bird is the most pure footballer on our list and will achieve great things for the Swans over the next decade.

I agree with this, and he's one of quite a few on our list who just look like "pure footballers". Hannebery is another, along with Reid, AJ, TDL, Kennedy, Smith etc. They're no nonsense sort of players and the fact that they're all so young is very exciting for our future.

Margie
7th June 2011, 12:29 AM
Bird has always impressed me and the admiration is growing.

He is an excellent reader of the game (as I also think TDL, Hannebery, Smith, AJ and the two ex-Hawthorn boys are).

Further improvement will give us a very good team and add to the brilliance of the longer-term players like Jack, Goodes, Bolton, O'Keefe, Kennelly (et al, backline) and LRT.

Good signs indeed!

GoRhino
8th June 2011, 10:25 AM

Some big calls here brother! Let's hope he gathers a yard or two in pace and your prediction may come true.

Go Swannies
8th June 2011, 11:30 AM
Some big calls here brother! Let's hope he gathers a yard or two in pace and your prediction may come true.

There are a lot of faster players than the best smart players, who have a lot more impact. I only got to watch the game again last night and much of our improvement was that Bird and TDL kept finding space. I was amazed to see that we were still making lots of mistakes but stickier hands (esp Goodes') and the imput of Bird and TDL just made us a lot more dangerous. In Q3 we looked lost for a while - and that was when Bird was being patched up (and came back with reduced impact). A comparison with Harvey is not out of place - especially considering the footy that Bird has missed.

If you are after big calls, I'd say that we can finish Top 4 if Bird stays fit, TDL keeps settling in and Jack comes back. Mummy back will be the cream on top. If Reid starts kicking true to match his great marking anything is possible.

Baudo
18th June 2011, 11:45 PM
My old man told me about this thread and I am just bringing it back to the top and posting my two bob because I can. Bird is not in Harvey's league and never will be. You don't always judge a player by their achievements but the guy was a consecutive Brownlow Medalist and won the E.J.Whitten Medal 3 times. His hips were and still are the best in the game and to say Bird can baulk like him is almost discriminating against the legend. Bird will come of age, but he needs a turn of speed bcause he so often gets caught out because of how slow he is.

BSA5
18th June 2011, 11:56 PM
My old man told me about this thread and I am just bringing it back to the top and posting my two bob because I can. Bird is not in Harvey's league and never will be. You don't always judge a player by their achievements but the guy was a consecutive Brownlow Medalist and won the E.J.Whitten Medal 3 times. His hips were and still are the best in the game and to say Bird can baulk like him is almost discriminating against the legend. Bird will come of age, but he needs a turn of speed bcause he so often gets caught out because of how slow he is.

Name one moment this year he has been caught due to a lack of speed.

dimelb
19th June 2011, 09:09 AM
Oh, I think Tommy's fast enough. He is a handball wizard, he's got such a subtle fist, that short, slow and solid kid sure fires a mean handball. (With acknowledgements to Rogue Swan).

Legs Akimbo
19th June 2011, 12:43 PM

The comparison was in regards to his balk.

dimelb
29th September 2011, 01:58 PM
Bump.
Interesting comment from Ben McGlynn:

Which of your teammates most impressed you?

Craig Bird is someone that doesn?t get as much recognition as he should. He had a good year and he was tagging a bit early on too. He and Rhyce Shaw were shutting a lot of blokes down early in the year. Sam Reid is another one that impressed me and I expect to see more exciting things from him.
From his season wrap on the club website.