PDA

View Full Version : Seaby?

swanspant12
5th June 2011, 12:04 AM
I thought seaby had a really strong game tonight. Apart from brisbane winning the more hitouts if im correct, he worked hard kicked a goal and general gave the ball of pretty well to our other players. Coming into the club i thought oh no, but hes really surprised me as a backup ruckman. Go swans!

neilfws
5th June 2011, 12:19 AM
I only saw the last quarter unfortunately, but even then he looked a lot more purposeful and livelier than I've seen for some time. Seemed to have some confidence back, good on him. I thought he started very strongly when he joined us, before the unfortunate injury.

aardvark
5th June 2011, 12:23 AM
Was better tonight than last week but will lose his spot to Mummy next week.

Peace
5th June 2011, 12:32 AM
Hes getting better with every minute spent on the ground, i hope we keep him even if mummy comes back in next week. Give the bloke a chance and mummy some decent support.

Big Al
5th June 2011, 12:33 AM
Hes getting better with every minute spent on the ground, i hope we keep him even if mummy comes back in next week. Give the bloke a chance and mummy some decent support.

and drop who???

After that performance you'd be unlucky to lose your spot.

dimelb
5th June 2011, 12:39 AM
and drop who???

After that performance you'd be unlucky to lose your spot.
Everitt.

ScottH
5th June 2011, 12:33 PM
He got better, as the game when on. Was a bit of a spud early, when we dominated.

liz
5th June 2011, 12:43 PM
He did OK. Even though we dominated the game, I found myself missing the extra intensity of Mummy.

ScottH
5th June 2011, 02:38 PM
He did OK. Even though we dominated the game, I found myself missing the extra intensity of Mummy.

Yep, he would have had a field day out there.

swansrule100
5th June 2011, 05:55 PM
what shoes does seaby have on though, he seems to slip over a lot. Im happy for him to have a young, i think mumford takes everitt spot, lrt can go to a defence or even forward rotation and seaby and mumford have a few weeks to see how they go together.

giant
5th June 2011, 06:53 PM
He looked slow to me, really struggled to get to a contest. Think that injury last year really took its toll. Nothing I've seen in the last two weeks would suggest he's in front of Myke Pike atm.

Cpt. Kirk
5th June 2011, 07:17 PM
He looked slow to me, really struggled to get to a contest. Think that injury last year really took its toll. Nothing I've seen in the last two weeks would suggest he's in front of Myke Pike atm.

Agreed

stellation
5th June 2011, 07:33 PM
I like Mark, I think he's actually a very good tall forward option- for a guy that is pretty tall he has traditionally been pretty good on the lead and does a good job of extending the mits to keep the ball away from the defender. I was pretty confident that even with the sub rule we would be able to run out full games with a backup ruckman because of Mark's solid ability to play as a forward.

Based on the last couple of games, and it seems silly saying this after a guy racks up 24 hitouts, but his ruckwork has looked really pretty woeful to me. That was a really, really good ruck combination he was up against, but I just had not confidence watching him in the ruck. I hope it's just rust.

ernie koala
5th June 2011, 07:53 PM
I suppose he's our 3rd choice ruckmen now, behind Mummy and Pyke.

So on that basis, I thought he had a solid game.

And he will remain a great back up to have, covering either injury or form from the other two.

Owen87
5th June 2011, 09:42 PM
I think this week if Mummy comes back from Injury it might be worth while keeping him in the team for that just incase factor and play him as a forward. As mentioned in previous posts he can take a good mark and he's also got a decent leg on him
I'd probably drop Jetta for Mummy. I think Jetta could do with a week or 2 in the ressies.

Panttz
5th June 2011, 09:50 PM
If you take Jetta out and replace him with Mummy we lose an enormous amount of speed and run. The quick, youthful tigers will exploit that...

Owen87
5th June 2011, 09:54 PM
I agree with loosing a lot of speed and run, however his second efforts and tackling to me don't look up to scratch

Robbo
5th June 2011, 10:50 PM

Seaby at his best is better than Pyke at his best. For a bloke who was playing his 2nd game of senior footy in 14 months Seaby did very well and definitely improved on last week. I think he should be retained in the side even when Mumford comes back, he will keep improving as his fitness and confidence starts to come back.

Cpt. Kirk
5th June 2011, 10:53 PM
Seaby at his best is better than Pyke at his best. For a bloke who was playing his 2nd game of senior footy in 14 months Seaby did very well and definitely improved on last week. I think he should be retained in the side even when Mumford comes back, he will keep improving as his fitness and confidence starts to come back.

I dont think you've seen much of pyke.
Amazing athelete for his size and experience.

ShockOfHair
6th June 2011, 01:33 AM
According to the club website, Mummo will play next week against Richmond. Interesting call but I'd expect LRT to be retained ahead of Seaby.

liz
6th June 2011, 06:38 AM
According to the club website, Mummo will play next week against Richmond. Interesting call but I'd expect LRT to be retained ahead of Seaby.

Me too. I think they are likely to stick with LRT as the spare parts ruckman until either one of our defenders gets injured and they need to move him back or until we play Freo (assuming Sandi is back by then). When one of those things happens, either White or Pyke will come back in, depending on who is going better in the reserves.

Plugger46
6th June 2011, 10:17 AM

Did you see Pyke against the 'Dogs?

Seaby's very handy as a depth player but if Mummy's fit, I don't think we can carry him as a 2nd ruckman with the sub-rule.

Brettb
6th June 2011, 10:48 AM
I dont think you've seen much of pyke.
Amazing athelete for his size and experience.

I don't know what Seaby has to do to impress most on this board, but I thought he was good on Sat. night. I agree with Robbo in that Seaby's best is better than Pyke. This is only his second senior game back, his improvement from game 1 to game 2 was obvious, I can only hope he holds his spot as Mumfords back up.

Seaby had 13 disposals, 24 hitouts, 4 marks, 3 tackles and 1 goal, if Pyke had produced that stat line you would all be lauding his performance.

Go Swannies
6th June 2011, 11:00 AM
Big Men break. And the substitute rule has virtually killed off playing two ruckmen. So all teams will need to have lots of ruckmen playing reserves for much of their careers till needed in the seniors. I wonder if there will be a ruckman surcharge where they are overpaid to make up for not playing seniors?

Mummy will come straight back in when he's ready. I'd like Seaby to stay in the team so Mummy doesn't wear out but I bet we go back to Mummy and LRT. One of today's papers suggested Pyke's injury won't heal soon. Currie? Doies he have a future with us - and can we persuade him to stay?

Plugger46
6th June 2011, 11:21 AM
I don't know what Seaby has to do to impress most on this board, but I thought he was good on Sat. night. I agree with Robbo in that Seaby's best is better than Pyke. This is only his second senior game back, his improvement from game 1 to game 2 was obvious, I can only hope he holds his spot as Mumfords back up.

Seaby had 13 disposals, 24 hitouts, 4 marks, 3 tackles and 1 goal, if Pyke had produced that stat line you would all be lauding his performance.

Everitt aside, I thought he was our only player to be beaten on the night. Not saying he was horrible but do you really think he'll provide enough as a second ruckman?

old blood
6th June 2011, 11:27 AM
Seaby's second half was pretty good, but the game was over by then. LRT is working well as a back-up and he gives us much more flexibility than Seaby.

barry
15th June 2011, 11:06 AM
The way the commentators were going on about GWS and Seaby during the richmond game, I'd say Seabs has signed with GWS. Especially since Tom Harley was involved.

Not unexpected I guess. Means we'll keep big mummy and pike next year.

Bas
15th June 2011, 11:11 AM
On AFL Insider last night, Seaby was voted by the coaches as being best on ground.

It would be win/won if he went to GWS. However, I haven't heard the comments from the game yet and at least we get something back. I'd throw in Bevan as a package deal.

aardvark
15th June 2011, 11:25 AM
The way the commentators were going on about GWS and Seaby during the richmond game, I'd say Seabs has signed with GWS. Especially since Tom Harley was involved.

Not unexpected I guess. Means we'll keep big mummy and pike next year.

It would be a shame if he went but not unexpected after Pyke got selected ahead of him.

barry
15th June 2011, 11:26 AM
Seaby would be mad not to sign with GWS. He'll be No1 ruck for 5 years, paid 50% more than elsewhere, and doesnt have to move house.

No brainer.

ugg
15th June 2011, 11:37 AM
Some points:

- Seaby is contracted to the Swans until the end of 2012.
- GWS already have a very good ruckman in Giles, and if you believe the rumours are after Mitch Clark too.

Bas
15th June 2011, 01:16 PM
So technically he can still go to GWS at the end of 2012 as an uncontracted player. As GWS has 2 years to sign incintracted players.

I hope he can play on the field with Mummy at the same time.

ugg
15th June 2011, 01:19 PM
Also, Tom Harley doesn't work for GWS any more, and even if he did it wasn't in the area of recruiting.

Triple B
15th June 2011, 01:50 PM
I just read it as "Gee, Seaby is having a monster of a game. If Mumford's return sees him heading back to the seconds, you'd reckon that GWS would have a sniff'"

Sounds pretty reasonable to me without being mischievious on the commentators part...

chalbilto
16th June 2011, 12:59 AM
Also, Tom Harley doesn't work for GWS any more, and even if he did it wasn't in the area of recruiting.

Ugg your knowledge never ceases to amaze. Love your work.