PDA

View Full Version : The Dogs must be desperate... (Barlow)

JudesaGun
9th June 2011, 02:48 PM
Barlow will be named this week:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brian-lake-out-as-again-as-bulldogs-prepare-to-make-at-least-five-team-changes/story-e6frf9jf-1226072368095

jono2707
9th June 2011, 02:50 PM
Good for him - I hope he does well. I think most of us agree he's always had plenty of potential so hopefully to takes advantage of this chance...

ugg
9th June 2011, 02:54 PM
Still no Vez? Deja vu.

aardvark
9th June 2011, 02:57 PM
Doggies scraping the bottom of the barrel now.....

Donners
9th June 2011, 03:00 PM
Nothing desperate about that; I quite liked Barlow and was a bit disappointed we let him go.

JudesaGun
9th June 2011, 03:09 PM
Nothing desperate about that; I quite liked Barlow and was a bit disappointed we let him go.

But can you seem him being anywhere close to getting a game in our side if he was still on the list.

IMO, he'd be behind:-

Johnstone
Moore
Parker
Pyke
Meredith

(Plus Rohan and Jack).

ScottH
9th June 2011, 03:25 PM
Doggies scraping the bottom of the barlow now.....
corrected for accuracy.

Big Al
9th June 2011, 03:37 PM

Hope he goes well this week but he was a list clogger with us and would only be playing reserves if he stayed.

Donners
9th June 2011, 03:55 PM
But can you seem him being anywhere close to getting a game in our side if he was still on the list.

IMO, he'd be behind:-

Johnstone
Moore
Parker
Pyke
Meredith

(Plus Rohan and Jack).

Well, Pyke and Johnston play a completely different role, so I wouldn't think of him getting a game "ahead" of them. But yes, I would have him ahead of the others.

Then again, if I had my way, we would have held on to Gerard Bennett too...

JudesaGun
9th June 2011, 04:19 PM
Well, Pyke and Johnston play a completely different role, so I wouldn't think of him getting a game "ahead" of them. But yes, I would have him ahead of the others.

Ahead of Parker, Moore and Meredith??!! Seriously?

Primmy
9th June 2011, 04:23 PM
Good luck to the Big Cheese. Hope he now understands what he has to do if he really wants it. He has had to wait a fair while for a call up, and that has to have been a signpost in itself. Good luck kiddo.

Donners
9th June 2011, 04:27 PM
Ahead of Parker, Moore and Meredith??!! Seriously?

From what I saw of Barlow in 2007-2009, certainly ahead of Meredith, who has played 14 games in three and a half seasons and has had maybe one stand-out one. Behind Moore on his early 2010 form, ahead on his late 2010 form. Haven't seen enough of Parker to decide either way.

Of course, if he had issues with motivation last season, then I could understand not keeping him around.

liz
9th June 2011, 04:59 PM
Well, Pyke and Johnston play a completely different role.

Pyke yes, but I always thought Barlow's ideal role would have been as a lead up HFF (the old ROK role), which I also think is the role LJ would be most suited to at the moment (albeit without the endurance of either ROK or Barlow). Admittedly that is not the role LJ seemed to be asked to play in his single senior appearance, but I reckon he would be more effective in such a role than playing as deep as he was played against the Roos.

aardvark
9th June 2011, 05:35 PM
Of course, if he had issues with motivation last season, then I could understand not keeping him around.

and the fact he was a complete dud might have something to do with it too....

aardvark
9th June 2011, 05:36 PM
corrected for accuracy.

Ewwww not sure i'd want to scrape Ed's bottom thanks...

Donners
9th June 2011, 05:37 PM
Pyke yes, but I always thought Barlow's ideal role would have been as a lead up HFF (the old ROK role), which I also think is the role LJ would be most suited to at the moment (albeit without the endurance of either ROK or Barlow). Admittedly that is not the role LJ seemed to be asked to play in his single senior appearance, but I reckon he would be more effective in such a role than playing as deep as he was played against the Roos.

That's a fair point. Hopefully if we get into a position to have two ruckmen in the side, one could play deep and leave Johnston free to play a looser role across half forward.

Donners
9th June 2011, 05:40 PM
and the fact he was a complete dud might have something to do with it too....

Nope, I don't think he was at all. "Complete duds" don't have the sort of games he did against Hawthorn only a couple of games after his debut, or a number of performances in mid-2009.

aardvark
9th June 2011, 05:43 PM
Nope, I don't think he was at all. "Complete duds" don't have the sort of games he did against Hawthorn only a couple of games after his debut, or a number of performances in mid-2009.

All right then almost a complete dud. When he plays another decent game or two I will concede I am wrong. Remember "Once is a fluke".

ShockOfHair
9th June 2011, 06:16 PM
Good luck to him but he doesn't look completely out of place in a team with no heart.

I know, cruel but also true.

dimelb
9th June 2011, 06:22 PM
Good luck to the Big Cheese. Hope he now understands what he has to do if he really wants it. He has had to wait a fair while for a call up, and that has to have been a signpost in itself. Good luck kiddo.
+1

Jeffers1984
9th June 2011, 06:44 PM
Best of luck to BarLOL.

Lucky Knickers
9th June 2011, 07:34 PM
What a mean title for the thread.
Anyway, lucky old doggies fans getting to yell out CHHHHHHEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE at the game.
Good luck Eddie - get some dog ugly into your game!

lwoggardner
9th June 2011, 07:45 PM
Will be interesting to see if the Camembert has progressed in the "harden up" stakes under Rocket's tutelage.

He's never going to be a Parmesan. Something like a Colby would do, but mostly likely he's become like a good Mersey Valley extra tasty - firmer with age but crumbly.

Kirkari
10th June 2011, 01:00 PM
What a mean title for the thread.
Anyway, lucky old doggies fans getting to yell out CHHHHHHEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE at the game.
Good luck Eddie - get some dog ugly into your game!

You beat me to it on all counts, but especially the CHHHHHHEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE part!!

Go hard, Cheese!

nomae
10th June 2011, 11:43 PM
Barlow's first kick for the dogs is a ripper! Except Jones drops it.

aardvark
11th June 2011, 12:09 AM
Anyone who watched Ed tonight probably witnessed his last ever AFL game.

Bas
11th June 2011, 10:07 AM
Anyone who watched Ed tonight probably witnessed his last ever AFL game.

I was actually at the game with my kids. Didn't my 7 year old daughter love a St Kilda supporter yelling into the back of her head all night.

I watched Barlow as he managed to get alot of game time. About 99% was as a passenger. Wasn't sure if he was marking Gwilt or vica versa but he just loped around for the night unmarked.

Hand passed as soon as he got the ball and his only few effective kick was when he was swung and he kicked the ball which went into the Bulldogs 50.

Spectator at most contests and not once did I see him attack the ball. Sort of reminded me of the fat little kid running around a football field except I've seeen lots of "Fat little kids" have more heart and enthusiasm.

Loped around the ground was the best description and sadly for him I think that there is no evidence why the Bulldogs would want to retain him.

aardvark
11th June 2011, 10:16 AM
I was actually at the game with my kids. Didn't my 7 year old daughter love a St Kilda supporter yelling into the back of her head all night.

I watched Barlow as he managed to get alot of game time. About 99% was as a passenger. Wasn't sure if he was marking Gwilt or vica versa but he just loped around for the night unmarked.

Hand passed as soon as he got the ball and his only few effective kick was when he was swung and he kicked the ball which went into the Bulldogs 50.

Spectator at most contests and not once did I see him attack the ball. Sort of reminded me of the fat little kid running around a football field except I've seeen lots of "Fat little kids" have more heart and enthusiasm.

Loped around the ground was the best description and sadly for him I think that there is no evidence why the Bulldogs would want to retain him.

Agree. He just doesn't get it.

Kirkari
11th June 2011, 10:55 AM
Agree. He just doesn't get it.

Sad, but appears to be true.

Jeffers1984
11th June 2011, 01:36 PM
BarLOL is still a stinky cheese. He's so one paced as well.

So glad we got rid of him.

swanspant12
11th June 2011, 03:02 PM
I know ed barlow has left our club and thankfully so, but how bad is that footballer? i was watching him last night against st kilda and he got pinned for holding the ball at least 4 times, had no skill, coughed up the ball countless times as well as put pressure on his teammates. I don't know how he ever became a footballer and the fact swans had him makes me even more angry!

BSA5
11th June 2011, 03:14 PM
Made some shocking decisions with the ball in hand. That said, his attack on the ball was considerably better than it was at the Swans. Personally I think his decision making with the ball is a confidence thing, so if he settles down that could improve. The fact that he went in when it was his turn to go a number of times was far more promising for his future at AFL level.

Still, he made some decisions that would have looked out of place in u12s..... Personally, I reckon they should stick him at FF and just get him to lead straight at the ball carrier. He'll beat any full back on the lead, and he's a lovely set shot. Only chance for his career IMO.

stellation
11th June 2011, 03:46 PM
I like Ed.

Missed opportunity with the thread title, should have read "The Dogs must be crazy!"

Primmy
11th June 2011, 04:23 PM
Poor bastard. I can't help feeling sorry for him, but at the same time ........ well its kind of "we told you so". However that seems a bit mean. Accurate but mean.

Number 43
11th June 2011, 04:34 PM
Good luck Ed! I hope your career takes off. Don't pay any attentton to this mean spirited thread. Will always remember your first game against Brisbane. It was a beauty.

Big Al
11th June 2011, 04:44 PM
Good luck Ed! I hope your career takes off. Don't pay any attentton to this mean spirited thread. Will always remember your first game against Brisbane. It was a beauty.

All you naughty people telling the truth you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. After 27 games in 5 years I too hope Cheese's career takes off. Might need a new heart and a new head for decision making but science is making great strides these days so you never know.

swansrob
11th June 2011, 04:59 PM
A bit of a coincidence that one of Barlow's few supporters goes by the name of 'Number 43'...

Dan
11th June 2011, 05:51 PM
I like Ed.

Missed opportunity with the thread title, should have read "The Dogs must be crazy!"

Or the "Dogs have set the Bar-Low" ;)

Jewels
11th June 2011, 05:52 PM
Made some shocking decisions with the ball in hand. That said, his attack on the ball was considerably better than it was at the Swans. Personally I think his decision making with the ball is a confidence thing, so if he settles down that could improve. The fact that he went in when it was his turn to go a number of times was far more promising for his future at AFL level.

Still, he made some decisions that would have looked out of place in u12s..... Personally, I reckon they should stick him at FF and just get him to lead straight at the ball carrier. He'll beat any full back on the lead, and he's a lovely set shot. Only chance for his career IMO.

Really? I watched him, thinking "Nothing's changed"!

caj23
11th June 2011, 05:55 PM
Don't think he was any worse then Everitt has been for us all year

Similar players if you ask me

BSA5
11th June 2011, 06:51 PM
Really? I watched him, thinking "Nothing's changed"!

By any other player's standards, he was average at best, but he charged in and affected the contest a few times that I remember. He also stood off from the pack looking uncertain, but you expect that from him. He didn't always do it, I guess is my point.

desredandwhite
11th June 2011, 06:51 PM
I also thought "nothing's changed". Had a lovely kick on him, is reasonably pacey and a good mark.. However his lack of awareness and general softness let him down, as it did with us. Good luck with your second chance, Cheese, but I just don't think you're going to make it.

aardvark
11th June 2011, 07:08 PM
Barlow makes White look like a superstar...

Doctor J.
11th June 2011, 09:21 PM
Barlow makes White look like a superstar...

Harsh but fair

giant
11th June 2011, 11:45 PM

A very good description of his efforts. Looked as soft and buttery as ever.

Dosser
12th June 2011, 12:07 AM
I remember when he first started and people were describing him as an 'Adam Goodes' type of utility player. I had such high hopes for him but his decision making is worse than U/12s level.
When I watched him this weekend I just shook my head and saw the same old, same old but in a different jumper.
Does anyone know if we got anything for him or was he simply delisted? (too many wines tonight so cant remember)

Cpt. Kirk
12th June 2011, 12:29 AM
I remember when he first started and people were describing him as an 'Adam Goodes' type of utility player. I had such high hopes for him but his decision making is worse than U/12s level.
When I watched him this weekend I just shook my head and saw the same old, same old but in a different jumper.
Does anyone know if we got anything for him or was he simply delisted? (too many wines tonight so cant remember)\

Got rid of him and vespremi for everitt.

liz
12th June 2011, 12:44 AM
\

Nah, we just delisted him. Co-incidence that the Dogs then drafted him (onto their rookie list).

dimelb
12th June 2011, 09:09 AM
i like ed.

Missed opportunity with the thread title, should have read "the dogs must be crazy!"
lol!

Bazman
12th June 2011, 10:41 AM
I thought Ed looked like a typical suburban footballer.

caj23
12th June 2011, 01:45 PM
\

A nil all draw then

wolftone57
12th June 2011, 06:25 PM

yuo really can't be serious. the guy was journeyman at best now we actually have real talent. Bennett was ordinary and would not even rate, he would be lucky to rate in the resuieswith the talent we have coming on

veramex
17th June 2011, 09:44 PM
I think this is Ed Barlow's first game for the bulldogs. just kicked a goal. commentators probably talking about him more now then they ever did for the entire time he was at the swans.

bennyfabulous
17th June 2011, 09:46 PM
He played last week, and wasnt flash.

sharp9
17th June 2011, 09:48 PM
And Dennis Commetti can't get the names of Sydney players right even when they don't play for Sydney anymore!.....called Cheese "Powell" and then apologised later after prompting from Bruce!

Nich
17th June 2011, 10:05 PM
Cheese is the most apt name ever. This bloke is just so soft on the ball. Will always do a few good things but when things get tough I wouldn't want him in the trenches. Nice bloke, almost too nice. Get some hunger and mongrel cheese!!

Lucky Knickers
17th June 2011, 11:11 PM
I thought he was better this game than last.
How good is the kid with dreads? Dalhouse (sp?). Great game and glad they got up for Bob Murphy.

Kirkari
17th June 2011, 11:25 PM
Well, he did at least one thing right! Though calling him "Cheesy" is hardly nice.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116521/default.aspx

Triple B
17th June 2011, 11:33 PM
I'm sooooooooooo glad Sherman decided to reject our advances and go to the Dogs so he could play finals.

He's always been a wanker, but has become annoying to almost Milne standards. First class dickhead.

Nich
17th June 2011, 11:45 PM
I'm sooooooooooo glad Sherman decided to reject our advances and go to the Dogs so he could play finals.

He's always been a wanker, but has become annoying to almost Milne standards. First class dickhead.

Ain't that the truth !

Donners
18th June 2011, 09:18 AM
Robbo named him as one of the best on ground, saying he absolutely "minced" the Crows across half-forward. :)

pig@fullforward
25th June 2011, 06:00 PM
He played a ripper of a game against the gold coast!

Nich
27th June 2011, 04:19 PM
I must say - if Ed had game time at Half-forward for the Swans he would have minced Adelaide and Gold Coast as well. Let's see what he does against teams above them on the ladder. I'm happy for him, I like the Cheese, but I don't think we made the wrong decision. I do hope he gets more game time and turns out to be a consistent member of the Seniors. All power to him.

Triple B
2nd July 2011, 12:12 PM
It was the Cheese of old last night I'm afraid.

He had a period in the 2nd quarter where they just kept kicking it too him long from kickouts and he was outbodied, outmuscled and out positioned time and time again.

He ended up being subbed....

Untamed Snark
2nd July 2011, 02:37 PM
Time to cut cheese?

Doctor
2nd July 2011, 04:09 PM
Time to cut cheese?

Hardy har har. I'd have sliced cheese myself....

SCGonasunnyday
2nd July 2011, 06:45 PM
poor guy. I counted at least six times in a row where he handled the ball and a turnover eventuated shortly after.

swanspant12
12th July 2011, 03:18 AM
Still to this day don't know how he made AFL.. how