PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Rnd 13 V Carlton (The Mummy Returns)

aardvark
13th June 2011, 12:34 AM
Ins. Mummy
Outs. TDL/Seaby

If we need to drop a Mid then McVeigh would benefit from a run in the 2s.

longmile
13th June 2011, 12:40 AM
Shame.
I really like TDL. But he really didn't do anything against the Tiges.
White is pressing with 6 goals in the reserves.

liz
13th June 2011, 01:12 AM
We're in quite a bizarre position (for the Swans) in having an apparent surplus of in-form big men.

Currie was excellent today, and though I know he won't get the chance, if he were thrown into the senior team I think he would equip himself decently enough. Seaby was disappointing against the Lions but sensational today, and then we have both Mummy and Pyke scheduled to be back from injury next week.

White was pretty good today for the reserves, and LRT continues to provide value as a flexible utility / ruck relief.

Then we have Richards in career best form, Marty doing well as a tallish defender as well as a rebounder, and Reg starting to recapture last season's form. AJ has been a revelation and deserves his spot on form, while LJ was a little stiff to get only the one game, and I thought his game today was quite decent in the conditions.

Then throw in a teenage CHF who, just when you think he might be due for a rest, pops up with a display of contested marking in greasy conditions like we haven't seen from a Swan in quite some time - certainly not in a young Swan.

And all this with our two most experienced and decorated KPPs missing - possibly both for good.

Bloody Hell
13th June 2011, 05:54 AM
We're in a position where it's not about who we bring in, but who we leave out. Premiership teams always have great depth, and I think we're approaching that.

I have Mr. G. Rohan in our best 22 - but he's not going to get a chance when he comes good. There's going to be a few good players running around in an already dominant reserves team.

Bloody Hell
13th June 2011, 05:56 AM
Shame.
I really like TDL. But he really didn't do anything against the Tiges.
White is pressing with 6 goals in the reserves.

Gotta keep TDL in. So important.

DeadlyAkkuret
13th June 2011, 06:13 AM
In: Mumford (Assuming he's fit)
Out: LRT (Just for team balance)

SCGonasunnyday
13th June 2011, 09:00 AM
No idea and whoever misses out will be stiff.

TDL had three shots at goal for a return of 1.1 and a rushed behind I believe and not a whole lot of possessions or tackles, BUT I thought his defensive pressure was excellent (and perhaps drawing a long bow) but it has almost been infectious since he came back - there were many times when Richmond turned it over running it out after our fwds applied great pressure and many of these do not turn up on the stat sheet. Ok we were doing that before but I'm a big fan.

You cannot drop Seaby after a BOG performance. If anything that would simply be the wrong message to send. It is very healthy to have a team where there are proven senior players in reserves as well as young talent and everyone knows they can cement a spot if they play out of their skin.

I'd favour LRT to go in exchange for a Seaby/Mumford combination with Jack into the starting side to play on Judd and Jetta to sub.

That's slack on LRT who has been good... glad its not my decision.

SCGonasunnyday
13th June 2011, 09:01 AM
Oh and TDL did okay against Carlton last time he was in the team.

Captain
13th June 2011, 10:15 AM
One solution is to move Goodes into midfield, play LRT forward permanently and bring in Mummy.

This means dropping a midfielder. Jetta would be most likely.

Nich
13th June 2011, 10:37 AM
It wasn't really a game for the Forward line yesterday. Riewoldt was covered pretty comfortably as well compared to his normal output. I don't think we should be too harsh on TDL's output. I thought he did all he could yesterday.

Slade
13th June 2011, 10:40 AM
TDL is great with his hands and crumbing the ball and is usually and excellent shot at goal - we need him in the front half - it is no surprise that in the two games we have had him there this year our forward line has looked very dangerous.

Mummy has to come back in but after Seabys last couple of games he would be difficult to drop. I think we would be better dropping LRT and place Seaby in the goalsquare - would make any opposition nervous.

Jesse should stay in the twos this week and get a second good game under his belt like he did last year when he came back in with so much confidence. He is very much a confidence player and if he ever learns to regularly take a chest mark he will be an excellent FF.

DLBIA14
13th June 2011, 10:50 AM
Jetta had a stinker on the weekend. At the same time, we're playing Carlton which means legs speed is important. I would have said Seaby, but he had a brilliant game so don't know how Horse is going to work that out. TDL wasn't great, but was still solid - especially early in the game when he was chasing hard and trying to do all those little things. LRT was very quiet, but I'm at a loathe to drop him. Great dilemma to have!

Finally our injury list is shrinking! I'm so excited for the Blues game. I don't now if this is be being extremely naive, but I feel like we've got a great chance. I don't expect us to win, but I do think that we can push them right till the end and who knows what will happen when the game is in the balance?

Judd always has blinders against us, but Kizza won't go down injured this time so hopefully he can keep him to less than 25/24 possessions. That would be win in my mind considering the vein of form the eye-gouger is in this year. We need Smith to win the rematch with Betts and Goodes better beat that arrogant @@@@@ Bryce Gibbs this time. Those three matchups seem very important, becasue they effectively won the game last time.

Dry conditions at Ethiad, a scary, but exciting proposition. I'll settle for a loss as long as we give it a red, hot go. If we're proven again to be a class below, i'll resign myself to 5th place and below but if we win..:D..along with some credibility, the top four doesn't seem so far away.

Triple B
13th June 2011, 10:56 AM
In Smithy's 50 odd games for the Swans he has only been taken to the cleaners twice, both times by Eddie Betts.

Not sure there is another option though, that is not too much of a robbing Peter to pay Paul scenario.

Bird to Murphy should be a given.

Matimbo
13th June 2011, 11:54 AM
KJ to swap with Jetta for the sub role, but I'd keep Jetta for late game speed. This means someone else must be omitted ... there's nobody in the backline or midfield I think we can leave out against Carlton. so I'd have to agree that LRT must be the unlucky one.

I agree with the posts that the match ups will be key. Last game against Carlton we were very competitive until Judd blew us away. If we can come out even against him, Gibbs and Betts plus win our share of other matchups I think we are in with a good chance in a close match.

wolftone57
13th June 2011, 12:27 PM
The Blues play 2 big men, we need good forwards, TDL to stay. Seabs to stay. Lewie doesn't try hard enough if he is being led to the ball, he needs to give much more & be harder at the ball, he'll learn in time. Jetstar will probably get a rest but I do agree McViegh has had a few quiet ones but I didn't think him too bad this week. LRT is doing a job & doing it well & I think is versatile enough if needed down back. He may well be needed there this week as the Blues play Hampsom, Kruizer & Waite & Walker through the forward line. Three out of the four will be in the forward line at any given time. Hampson is particularly dangerous & I know only one of our players who could take him while he is in the forward line & that is LRT. We need to pick our players for the team we are playing & the Blues not only have pace but they play tall as well.

wolftone57
13th June 2011, 12:33 PM
KJ to swap with Jetta for the sub role, but I'd keep Jetta for late game speed. This means someone else must be omitted ... there's nobody in the backline or midfield I think we can leave out against Carlton. so I'd have to agree that LRT must be the unlucky one.

I agree with the posts that the match ups will be key. Last game against Carlton we were very competitive until Judd blew us away. If we can come out even against him, Gibbs and Betts plus win our share of other matchups I think we are in with a good chance in a close match.

Ryano was put on Judd (WRONG, WRONG ,WRONG) just bad coaching & he left him there all game, poor Ryano, he had to sacrifice his own game to chase Judd around all game. Shaw should have gone to Judd that day I said that at the time. LRT must play as the Blues as I have already mentioned use 3 talls in the f/line at any given time.

lwoggardner
13th June 2011, 12:40 PM
In Mummy, Jack (from sub)

LRTs versatility keeps him in the game and on the ground, likewise Jet's x-factor.

Sub from Bird, McVeigh, Mattner - least impact mids/halfbacks at the moment

The alternatives are

Play tall and drop one of the above Bird, McVeigh, Mattner as well as one being sub.
Drop a tall defender - Ted or AJ
Stick with the single ruckman and drop Seaby

Playing tall might be a good option for Carlton particularly if Waite is back. Option 3 is possibly the easy out for the coaches but I think we need to find a gameplan that builds on a strong ruck combination.

Might need to be a "short-straw" selection policy this week as anyone dropped or called to sub would consider themselves unlucky.

nomae
13th June 2011, 12:41 PM
I think the question is, is LRT a better ruckman than Seaby is a forward?

wolftone57
13th June 2011, 12:44 PM
Jetts 8 posessions, TDL 4, LRT 5. It wasn't the sort of day for TDL or Jetts just too wet. This won't be an issue next week as we will be playing under the roof of Etihad Stadium We need to be very aware of the difference of playing there compared to on the other grounds. Little wind, no rain, air con (causes breathing probs if not used to playing under it) & humidity (All the exhalation of breathe).

wolftone57
13th June 2011, 12:50 PM
In Mummy, Jack (from sub)

LRTs versatility keeps him in the game and on the ground, likewise Jet's x-factor.

They are going to play 2 monsters, Hampson & Kruizer so we definitely need Seabs.

The alternatives are

Play tall and drop one of the above Bird, McVeigh, Mattner as well as one being sub.
Drop a tall defender - Ted or AJ
Stick with the single ruckman and drop Seaby

Playing tall might be a good option for Carlton particularly if Waite is back. Option 3 is possibly the easy out for the coaches but I think we need to find a gameplan that builds on a strong ruck combination.

Might need to be a "short-straw" selection policy this week as anyone dropped or called to sub would consider themselves unlucky.

They will play 2 monsters in Hampson & Cruizer so we need Seabs. Hampson is particularly valuable to them in the forward line so will stay even if Waite comes back. That will mean they have 4 talls in the F/Line, so we will need LRT

liz
13th June 2011, 01:18 PM

Bird a "least impact mid"?:confused:

lwoggardner
13th June 2011, 01:31 PM
Bird a "least impact mid"?:confused:

Fair enough. McVeigh (unfortunately) < daylight < Bird et al

Go Swannies
13th June 2011, 02:40 PM
Who did Bird play on yesterday? He, like Nick Smith, are playing best when they are invisible - as is their opponent. Shaw had a couple kicked on him because he left his man but he also did some good attack himself.

gloveski
13th June 2011, 03:46 PM
There is no way Bird will be used as a Sub, people obviously don't understand his role in the side atm. Reminds me of Jack a few years ago tagging the oppositions best midfielders, another 12 months of this and they will unleash him in my opinion

Jewels
13th June 2011, 04:28 PM
The only one from yesterday that was crap is Jetta, he was truly dreadful, I could tackle better, and all of you that say "it wasn't a day for running type players", Rhycey didn't seem too perturbed by it! But he needs to be kept in the team as the sub. The only time in his whole career (in my opinion anyway) that he has been of any value to us, was the other week when he subbed against North, he was everything any team could want from their sub and was the impetus to us winning that game.
I'm a huge Lewie (LRT) fan but he's the one I believe has to make way for Mummy. Seabys was magnificent yesterday and to drop him after that effort just sends the wrong message and I think Mummy needs a real ruckman as backup to take the load off him.

scolsey22
13th June 2011, 04:36 PM
I would have thought LRT out mummy in. Carlton have a few talls up forward in o hailpin, henderson, waite and hampson when he goes forward, so LRT may be kept to play back.

BSA5
13th June 2011, 04:42 PM
The only one from yesterday that was crap is Jetta, he was truly dreadful, I could tackle better, and all of you that say "it wasn't a day for running type players", Rhycey didn't seem too perturbed by it! But he needs to be kept in the team as the sub. The only time in his whole career (in my opinion anyway) that he has been of any value to us, was the other week when he subbed against North, he was everything any team could want from their sub and was the impetus to us winning that game.
I'm a huge Lewie (LRT) fan but he's the one I believe has to make way for Mummy. Seabys was magnificent yesterday and to drop him after that effort just sends the wrong message and I think Mummy needs a real ruckman as backup to take the load off him.

Jetta kicked two goals, and was the only bloke on the team who could kick straight. Pretty valuable contribution if you ask me.

ScottH
13th June 2011, 04:45 PM
Jetta kicked two goals, and was the only bloke on the team who could kick straight. Pretty valuable contribution if you ask me.

1 was from 10cm out though.

ugg
13th June 2011, 04:58 PM
1 was from 10cm out though.

That's no certainty as LRT will attest to

BRISWAN
13th June 2011, 05:06 PM
Ins:
Mumford

Outs:
Mattner

Sub:
Mumford

Would love to see White return and kick a bag and silence the critics here.
18 mnths ago the same crew were calling him to be our great saviour.
The boy is 23 and will come good.

LRT is a complete waste in the ruck and I'm looking forward to seeing both Mummy and Seabs firing in the same team.

Despite the knickers - very winnable game coming up against the Blues.

Go boys, the Blues are still soft centered!!!!

Lucky Knickers
13th June 2011, 05:10 PM
I think Bird played mostly on Cotchin.
Mummy in/Seaby out - unluckily but LRT offers more around the ground IMO.
Jetta as sub.

Go Swannies
13th June 2011, 06:08 PM
Ins:
Mumford

Outs:
Mattner

Sub:
Mumford

Would love to see White return and kick a bag and silence the critics here.
18 mnths ago the same crew were calling him to be our great saviour.
The boy is 23 and will come good.

LRT is a complete waste in the ruck and I'm looking forward to seeing both Mummy and Seabs firing in the same team.

Despite the knickers - very winnable game coming up against the Blues.

Go boys, the Blues are still soft centered!!!!

Agree that we have a good chance next weekend. I found yesterday's game very relaxing - and funny. Did anyone really expect us to lose, even with our woefeul kicking. We so dominated throughout that we won the game kicking behinds for goals. Surely we can't kick that badly two weeks in a row - when Reid starts kicking straight he'll be a star (hopefully over the next two weekends).

I think you have as much chance of Tadhg being dropped as Marty. Both provide our drive out of defence and Marty was rock solid yesterday. And how good is our defence - start kicking straight and we can take our hard game a long way this season, never mind next. The Tigers are a good team, no matter recent results but we just stopped their run yesterday.

I think our selection next weekend will depend on match ups. Incidentally, can Keiren run out a whole game against Judd?

Another thought - how come the Blue beat the Brions well and are now in with a shot at the flag; we do the same the week before and it's "how woeful are the Lions?" and "Swans hang in the 8 but a long way below the teams above (and below) them". Our structures are so much better than the Dees that I'm even getting a bit excited about Olympic Park in a fortnight. Of course, it'd be handy if we kicked a few goals over the next two weeks as well as stopped the other teams.

nomae
13th June 2011, 06:23 PM
Outs:
Mattner

No. Why do people keep on suggesting to drop Mattner? He is one of our most consistent players, week in, week out.

From what it looks like either Seaby or LRT will be dropped, a very tough decision. If Seaby is dropped he will definitely go to GWS, and I wouldn't blame him.

Doctor
13th June 2011, 06:28 PM
Seaby HAS to play surely. Mummy will be short of a gallop after his injury so the back up ruckman will get more game time as it is. I highly doubt LRT will be dropped though. I don't think there's any easy way around it this week. In terms of talls, Pyke is still to come back too, and he was looking very handy before he injured his calf.

Jesse needs to kick a couple more bags in the reserves before getting picked for seniores IMO.

Auntie.Gerald
13th June 2011, 06:36 PM
out: Mattner ??? not a chance

I still think Jetta gives us more flexibility on matchups then TDL but we have the luxury of most likely keeping them same team as my gut feeling is mummy is another weekend away

When Mummy comes back Seaby will be dropped as they will only bring back Mummy when 100% this time !!!

LRT is too valuable for matchups and versatility as our pinch hitter compared to playing Seaby and Mummy

SUB: TDL

Nico
13th June 2011, 06:40 PM
TDL will go. He didn't like the hard contest at the weekend. He simply hates putting his body on a shepherd or meeting a pack. You can see at the last second where he looks like he is going to put his body on the line, but takes a last fairy step and makes either none or very light contact.

Auntie.Gerald
13th June 2011, 06:50 PM
TDL will go. He didn't like the hard contest at the weekend. He simply hates putting his body on a shepherd or meeting a pack. You can see at the last second where he looks like he is going to put his body on the line, but takes a last fairy step and makes either none or very light contact.

Nico do you think we can carry Seaby, LRT and Mummy ? against a team like Carlton with so much run ?

Nico
13th June 2011, 07:18 PM
Nico do you think we can carry Seaby, LRT and Mummy ? against a team like Carlton with so much run ?

Perhaps not, but is Mumford going to come up? It may not be wise to play him on the hard Ethihad Stadium ground first up, short of a gallop and against a top team. If Mumford plays then you must play one of LRT or Seaby and neither deserve to be dropped. I see that the best option is to drop a small forward, as they can always swing one of the other small up there if need be. As it is we are playing to Goodes and Reid pretty much as one out targets and we don't seem to get a lot of crumbers to the fall of the ball.

gloveski
13th June 2011, 09:30 PM
Great problem to have we just don't know who to drop for Mummy. Jetta is a worry for me, he is going to be a very important player for us long term but his intensity is woeful at times. Would love to see him use his pace when he doesn't have the ball.

wolftone57
13th June 2011, 09:52 PM
Great problem to have we just don't know who to drop for Mummy. Jetta is a worry for me, he is going to be a very important player for us long term but his intensity is woeful at times. Would love to see him use his pace when he doesn't have the ball.

Been saying that for a while, I think he still hasn't grasped the intensity of what is required at this level. He might need to go back & get some intensity training from Stewie & Henry

GongSwan
13th June 2011, 10:47 PM
Jack to play on Judd, who is the match up for Betts? who has the speed? Jetta would be the only one who could run with him in a negating role. As for dropping Marty, that would be insane, we need the bigger bodies against Carlton's forwards. It is unfortunate, but I think if we bring mummy in, we have to drop LRT and keep Seaby, just in case Mummy can't run out the game, Seaby has attained the necessary match fitness now to stay on the field and go into the forward line when resting. I'm a big LRT fan, and the only other option would be to drop TDL and go tall all over, using Benny as our primary crumbing forward. It's a tough decision for team balance and match ups next week, good problem to have I suppose, glad it's not me making the decisions

laughingnome
13th June 2011, 11:06 PM
If Jack is up to playing on Judd then who plays on Betts is simple: Shaw. Got the speed to match and can outmark him to boot.

ernie koala
13th June 2011, 11:08 PM
Jack into the 21. Jetta to sub.
Mummy in
McVeigh out.
Even Jackson was taking the piss out of Mcveigh for a weak effort early in the game yesterday...not good enough from a captain, 3 touches to half time.
At least Jetta gives us some unpredicability

Steve
13th June 2011, 11:44 PM
For me, Betts plays too close to goal for Shaw to be an option - Nahas drifts further upfield which suited Rhyce.

If Mumford plays you'd expect him to spend some time up forward, so Seaby has to stay in. We need TDL in the team, and he has been quite good in the last 2 weeks.

AJ has caused a major selection headache - I'm sure they originally expected to give him a couple of games and then be replaced by LRT. It probably should be LRT who makes way for Mummy - their rucks and tall defenders will expose him.

And how good will Reid be once we teach him how to kick?

aardvark
13th June 2011, 11:49 PM
Mummy in
McVeigh out.
Even Jackson was taking the piss out of Mcveigh for a weak effort early in the game yesterday...not good enough from a captain, 3 touches to half time.

Agree with EK. Macca just isn't doing enough, nowhere near his best atm.

Hartijon
14th June 2011, 12:04 AM
Only one way to stop Betts.Wear him like a glove and deny him supply! Smith is the man 3rd time lucky!

Bloody Hell
14th June 2011, 12:50 AM
Mummy in
McVeigh out.

Unfortunately you can't drop your captain. It announces to the world you were wrong.

Still think he's a good option for the forward pocket - seems desperately out of form in the midfield.

Bloody Hell
14th June 2011, 01:01 AM
If I can do whatever I want this week I'd:

Mattner LRT Smith
Malcheski Grundy Kennelly
Shaw Jack Hannebery
McGlynn Reid O'Keefe
McVeigh White TDL
Mumford Kennedy Goodes

Seaby Bird Johnson Jetta

What I think they will do?....no idea. But I think the conversation will revolve around one change - including Mumford and leaving out one of Richards, Johnson, LRT or Seaby.

There's only so many combinations or permutations of that.

Nich
14th June 2011, 08:52 AM
Smith killed Betts in the final last year. I'll back Nick again. Betts is most dangerous one out in the square when he has clear space to run and twist people around. Much like Rioli the other week. If it's Betts and Smith on their own Eddie is just too quick. No doubt they will employ the same tactic again but I'm happy for Nick to take him.

CJK
14th June 2011, 09:50 AM
For the love of god can we please drop Jetta now?

DLBIA14
14th June 2011, 10:35 AM
For the love of god can we please drop Jetta now?

Jets was awful, but I reckon Horse will struggle to drop him. His leg speed against carlton could be invaluable. With mumford coming back in, does anyone else think we have one to many talls? LRT may have to be the casualty! :(

Plugger46
14th June 2011, 10:51 AM
Mummy in
McVeigh out.

Jackson was off the mark.

He definitely struggled but I don't think that was a weak effort.

aardvark
14th June 2011, 11:05 AM
Jets was awful, but I reckon Horse will struggle to drop him. His leg speed against carlton could be invaluable. (

Highly overrated IMO. Someone like Parker would make a better contribution overall than the one or two good things Jetta does.

aardvark
14th June 2011, 11:07 AM
Jackson was off the mark. He definitely struggled but I don't think that was a weak effort.

I do. Mc Veigh is playing "Bruise free" footy.

Daphy
14th June 2011, 01:42 PM
Highly overrated IMO. Someone like Parker would make a better contribution overall than the one or two good things Jetta does.

I agree. As much as I love Jetta, I love the hype about him, not the way he is playing now. And as for the leg-speed he adds, that's also hypothetical, has he been using it? No. So therefore, he should add leg-speed, but he doesn't use it, or uses it once or twice. That's not good enough for me.

Danzar
14th June 2011, 02:04 PM
Agreed on Jetta. He is just too lazy and lacks judgement. The latter comes with more experience but the former is what causes me concern.

Completely agree that we need to retain pace. I think they have to drop LRT. Mumford has even more versatility and I can see him up forward with Seaby in the ruck as a back up, when required. Rotate Shaw and Jack between Betts and Judd, both of whom must be shut down.

I think TDL needs to stay. He's got a good head and I think he'll develop better in the seniors. Certianly wouldn't write him off on the back of Sunday's performance.

jono2707
14th June 2011, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Danzar;533090]Agreed on Jetta. He is just too lazy and lacks judgement. The latter comes with more experience but the former is what causes me concern. QUOTE]

I don't see why you would call Jets lazy - I think he puts in a decent effort but does not have the physicality to get down and dirty with the in-and-unders. He's a young guy who's still developing and I don't think it's correct to label him as lazy.

johnno
14th June 2011, 02:41 PM
Who comes in, who gets dropped?????? Who knows what Horse will do?

My two cents....

Firstly, if Mumford is fit and ready...he plays, simple as that. Seaby however doesnt get dropped,(he does get dropped when Pyke is ready to come in though...in my opinion) we need 2 ruckman. Playing 1 Ruckman for so long has hurt Mumford.

Secondly, Mattner, Kennely, Shaw and Malceski dont get dropped...ever!

Thirdly, its a 'horses for courses' type situation for me, if I'm not mistaken, Carlton are tall at both ends of the ground, which means LRT plays as Carlton MAY play Kruezer in the forward line in certain stages of the game, which means LRT is needed to play on him.

Fourthly(is this a word???), what to do with Jetta, I too can see what it is that annoys people on here about him, goes missing for lengthy periods in the game, wont ever get the hard ball, opposition players break his tackles a little bit too easy......and so on. But he is quick and may be needed in the dry conditions under the roof to run and run fast as Carlton have some speadsters of their own in Betts, Yarran, and Gartlett.

Fifthly(again is this a word????), I forgot what I was going to say now....my heads all dizzy.....I think I'm going to go and lie down.

Good luck Horse and co with whatever team you come up with on Sunday.....I'm sure you'll pick the right players.

BSA5
14th June 2011, 03:13 PM
Jetta kicked two very important goals, straight, when we were seriously struggling to convert. How on earth can you drop him? I actually think he should be given a run as a genuine forward, because he's not fit/experienced enough to make a consistent impact on the wing yet, but he has the speed and skills to be dangerous. He also needs to work on his tackling, but that's another issue.

ernie koala
14th June 2011, 03:21 PM
Unfortunately you can't drop your captain. It announces to the world you were wrong.

Still think he's a good option for the forward pocket - seems desperately out of form in the midfield.

I agree, I'm sure they wont drop him...It's just what I'd like to see.
He's going no where as a player or a captain at present.
Taking a hit for the team, and regaining form in the 2's, could be the making of him as a captain..
If he handled it well, it would be seen as a great selfless team effort by one of our captains.
But really I'm just pissing in the wind, because it wont happen.

Melbournehammer
14th June 2011, 03:27 PM
Fwiw there is no way I'd be dropping jetta. we are playing a fast team at the fastest track - I'd have him in and if rohan was available I'd have him there as well.

Its strange because i'm one of seaby's biggest supporters and I also reckon super ted has done really well as a backman and is probably our second best tall defender this year but i reckon I'd be leaving seaby out to allow us to play LRT as a defender on Kreuzer and playing ted forward when kreuzer is on the field and playing forward.

I suspect this will be plan B as you wouldn't easily remove ted from your plan A defence, but it might just happen.

i reckon waite may well play on reid and gibbs on goodes so if we did have another forward who could lead and mark the pill (and I think ted does that far better than LRT can) that might cause them a few problems and super marty always plays well on third talls - maybe he will need to go to walker - who has only got into his run of form by playing as a defensive forward on tadgh last season. i did think at the time we were so busy trying to play marty on him that our defence went a bit pear shaped, but if we made it the out and out matchup it might work.

Bleed Red Blood
14th June 2011, 03:35 PM
Perhaps not, but is Mumford going to come up? It may not be wise to play him on the hard Ethihad Stadium ground first up, short of a gallop and against a top team. If Mumford plays then you must play one of LRT or Seaby and neither deserve to be dropped. I see that the best option is to drop a small forward, as they can always swing one of the other small up there if need be. As it is we are playing to Goodes and Reid pretty much as one out targets and we don't seem to get a lot of crumbers to the fall of the ball.

In one breathe you say drop TDL, and then say we don't seem to get enough crumbers to contests. I.e thats what TDL is for, and he will make it. Most of our midfielders if swung forward are going to kick 2 or 3 goals. Where as TDL very well could.

Scottee
14th June 2011, 04:01 PM
When you look at the Carlton side it is actually quite big as well as fast. It probably would not hurt to go for a bigger side given the opposition and the form of our bigger players, who can also improve things for the smalls by bringing them into the game. The Swans are blessed with quick big men as well. Playing Goodes in the midfield alternating off the bench with Ted, who reads the play well and has a big tank could work well. Reid and Johnson both appear capable of playing on the wing in the manner that Richo did so successfully a couple of years ago. This leaves the option of the standard players lining up in defence with Grundy and LRT taking the KPPs. Seaby and Mumford could rest at FF and cause problems for Carlton.We would still have enough smalls to cover their attacking small players but they might be hard pressed to stop our bigger players. The only options for players to be dropped appear to be TDL or Jetta on this basis. One or other of these would also be best suited to the Sub. TDL would be my choice because of his proven ability to impact scoring a tad more, although there would not be much between the two of them. Another reason for putting both of these guys at the end of the list is because , despite their speed, stamina and tackling pressure does not appear to be a strong point for either of them.

So the side would be:

Mattner LRT Smith
Goodes Bolton Hannebery
McGlynn Reid O'Keefe
McVeigh Seaby Shaw

Mumford Kennedy Jack

Bird Johnson Richards (TDL)

swanspant12
14th June 2011, 05:21 PM
i dont know why we would drop seaby after he was BOG on sunday. If we drop him his form and confidence will go down after such a good performance. Mummy shouldnt be given the job of going straight back into the ruck and battling his knee against carltons ruckman. he should be put in full forward and be given the opportunity to score some goals and then gradually put him in the ruck. I also agree with everyone on jetta. He has so much talent just needs to go in harder and find more of the ball. I also think tdl would shake up carlton on sunday with his optimistic forward leading and if he can kick 3 or 4 goals its a job well done. Also bring goodes and jack into the midfield and make sure Jack is on judd not bloody ROK because he is far too slow for juddy.

Triple B
14th June 2011, 05:55 PM
Even Jackson was taking the piss out of Mcveigh for a weak effort early in the game yesterday...not good enough from a captain

Jackson was off the mark.

He definitely struggled but I don't think that was a weak effort.

I do.

Please explain what was weak about McVeigh's effort in the incident that Jackson felt the need to have a say.

Ernie or aardy, either one of you is fine...

JudesaGun
14th June 2011, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure who should be dropped, but I'd like to see:-

1. Mumford and Seaby in the side.

2. A forward line with White, Reid and TDL.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how we can make this happen, I?m all ears.

Hartijon
14th June 2011, 07:44 PM
I look at Carlton and then look at us and its going to be a close one! I for one thought we were unlucky to lose to them last time but they have played a lot better since and we have won but played like ...well probably not as good as they have.

There are a myriad of combinations we could employ and I know what I would do but its really up to our coaches

1. Get the boys up for the game ,switched on
2.Have a plan not just to counter them but to kick a winning score
3. Outcoach the Rat during the game

I reckon this one will come down tothe best coaching as there's nothing between the two teams!

Bleed Red Blood
14th June 2011, 07:44 PM
I think perhaps Kennelly needs a "rest". Has anyone else noticed how slow he is on the kick-ins? He'll take the maximum amount of time allowed each time. And pretty much the same when he's marked in the back fifty. Eski, Mattner, Shaw, Richards, Grundy, LRT in defense.

ernie koala
14th June 2011, 07:52 PM
Please explain what was weak about McVeigh's effort in the incident that Jackson felt the need to have a say.

Ernie or aardy, either one of you is fine...

He ran back with the flight of the ball, near the boundary line, as 2 Richmond players closed in.
He went back half hearted as the ball passed over his head,, with no vigour or intensity, and limply put one hand in the air as he ducked his head expecting contact.
Jackson mocked him by puting one arm in the air, as he sniffed his underarm, mimicking McVeigh.
It was no big deal, just a weak effort. Not good enough from any player let alone your captain.

Triple B
14th June 2011, 08:13 PM
He ran back with the flight of the ball, near the boundary line, as 2 Richmond players closed in.
He went back half hearted as the ball passed over his head,, with no vigour or intensity, and limply put one hand in the air as he ducked his head expecting contact.
Jackson mocked him by puting one arm in the air, as he sniffed his underarm, mimicking McVeigh.
It was no big deal, just a weak effort. Not good enough from any player let alone your captain.

It's amazing what u see when u want to see it.

This is how I saw it.

From my vantage point, the ball looked likely to sail over his head to the unmarked Richmond player. The wind may have just held it up a bit, but McVeigh then realised he had a chance to fingertip the ball over the boundary line...which he did.

U see what happened here, u reckon he's a weak bludger and wanted to see it that way so u could whack him, I don't think he's at all weak and saw it as a nice interception and knock out of bounds.

As for the 'head duck', I didn't see that at all. He may have ducked when contacted, but he had already done his job by knocking it OOB.

Plugger46
14th June 2011, 08:28 PM

This is how I saw it.

From my vantage point, the ball looked likely to sail over his head to the unmarked Richmond player. The wind may have just held it up a bit, but McVeigh then realised he had a chance to fingertip the ball over the boundary line...which he did.

U see what happened here, u reckon he's a weak bludger and wanted to see it that way so u could whack him, I don't think he's at all weak and saw it as a nice interception and knock out of bounds.

As for the 'head duck', I didn't see that at all. He may have ducked when contacted, but he had already done his job by knocking it OOB.

That's what I saw.

ernie koala
14th June 2011, 08:47 PM

This is how I saw it.

There you go, we saw it differently. But obviously Jackson saw it as a weak effort, and he was a lot closer than you or I or Plugger 46.

Now I've got no idea what sort of bloke Jackson is, but I've seen him play a fair bit.

He's a little bit of an antagonist but I've never seen him accuse anyone of a weak effort before this incident. He obviously thinks he saw a weak effort.

Maybe he's wrong and I'm wrong but that's how I saw it too.

Nico
14th June 2011, 08:59 PM
In one breathe you say drop TDL, and then say we don't seem to get enough crumbers to contests. I.e thats what TDL is for, and he will make it. Most of our midfielders if swung forward are going to kick 2 or 3 goals. Where as TDL very well could.

I said drop TDL because he is not prepared to put his body on the line. We are playing a top 4 side and we don't need that weakness up forward. If you must replace a crumber with a crumber, then, as I said put someone else there who will give a hard contest.

Peace
14th June 2011, 09:01 PM
From what i have seen of Jackson on various panel shows, he has got tickets on himself. He was just being a smartass, McVeigh couldn't have reached any higher.

nomae
14th June 2011, 09:04 PM
If I can do whatever I want this week I'd:

Mattner LRT Smith
Shaw Jack Hannebery
McGlynn Reid O'Keefe
McVeigh White TDL
Mumford Kennedy Goodes

Seaby Bird Johnson Jetta

Mattner LRT Smith
Goodes Bolton Hannebery
McGlynn Reid O'Keefe
McVeigh Seaby Shaw

Mumford Kennedy Jack

Bird Johnson Richards (TDL)

Really guys? Mal-ce-ski

Nico
14th June 2011, 09:12 PM
There you go, we saw it differently. But obviously Jackson saw it as a weak effort, and he was a lot closer than you or I or Plugger 46.

Now I've got no idea what sort of bloke Jackson is, but I've seen him play a fair bit.

He's a little bit of an antagonist but I've never seen him accuse anyone of a weak effort before this incident. He obviously thinks he saw a weak effort.

Maybe he's wrong and I'm wrong but that's how I saw it too.

Jackson gets the odd gig on SEN during the week. I think he is on the players association committee. Comes across as an intelligent sort of bloke who is a blokes, bloke, but blots his copybook by doing the dumb dirty stuff on the ground. Like dropping the elbow into a North player right in front of the camera in the last minute of the game and cops a couple of weeks. I wouldn't be taking too much notice of his gestures.

New-eon Jack
14th June 2011, 09:33 PM
Selection Team are in an unenviable position and will surely point to match-ups as the reason for unlucky fella(a) will make way for Mummy, as they should.

*Seaby (BOG-man against the odds) absolutely needs to stay in (i.m.h.o), help ease Mummy back into the ruck and otherwise show how versatile he could be/is. He is an intelligent, experienced, skilled player with real hunger that should be tapped - not ideal to try out too many new tricks against a team like Carl but I would not touch the backline - unless they ask for a rest (which would solve the LRT dilemma). Mattner should never be questioned - his standards are so high that a quieter game stands out and it shouldn't.

*Macca appears o be slightly burdened with perhaps his own expectations - if he was dropped for one game - chances are he would click and explode in the the next (Collingwad) - i probably wouldnt have the juevos to drop Macca btw...

*Smooch got toweled by Betts last game but the umps certainly gave Betts a few undeserved cheapies and Smooch is currently untouchable (a.i.m.h.o) - he does so much right. While the Bird-man could be one of the most improved performers so far and is on the up. Both are vital taggers who do not waste the ball when moving forward.

*TDL to stay (this week) and unsettle Yarran with his exceptional pressure. Important, as Yarran is becoming an elite passing playmaker. If TDL cannot impress (again) that would make way for (....................) - I personally hope to see Pyke again asap.

*I love Jetts and want to give him as much time as he needs - he IS making tackles here and there this season - impressive ones too - but physicality is not his draw card. I think he is overrunning too many challenges - so his timing could definitely improve - Even Goodsey had this issue against North.

So in conclusion: LRT the unlucky out pending the Seaby experiment. I think they are competing for the same role (As long as the backline chemistry remains intact). If Seaby cannot co-exist in a 21 with Mummy - then he is, I would say, an unfortunate victim of the rule changes and deserves a chance at another club.
*Jack and Jetts to swap this week- Jetts as sub.
*Pyke to push back quickly - his improvements have been spectacular. Rohan also, but don't ask me for who.
*Jessie White will need to challenge Reid directly on form to regain his role - which would mean continuation of solid res form and one would think a collapse in form from Reid - which I aint predicting.

It is hotter than I have ever seen - the push for a first's game - i feel for the likes of Bevo and Jarrad Moore - who face a long road to reclaiming their place - that is the price one pays playing for a Legend team with pioneering development strategies!

Cardinal
14th June 2011, 09:35 PM
I suppose my question is if I was part of Carlton's coaching team would I be wiser or more confused having read this thread ?

Auntie.Gerald
14th June 2011, 10:25 PM
I think LRT can ruck with mummy despite Seaby having a very good game on the wknd against Richmond..............on a bigger field we can NOT have Seaby, LRT and Mummy in the rotation unless LRT takes over a permanent backline spot..........Seaby for me needs to drop out of the 22 if Mummy is ready

Bleed Red Blood
14th June 2011, 10:41 PM
I said drop TDL because he is not prepared to put his body on the line. We are playing a top 4 side and we don't need that weakness up forward. If you must replace a crumber with a crumber, then, as I said put someone else there who will give a hard contest.

Well I watched the game too, and I didn't question his effort. And nor would I be giving up on someone with unquestioned talent two games in to the year.

Bas
14th June 2011, 11:29 PM
Really guys? Mal-ce-ski

Who? Malsexy?

Matt79
14th June 2011, 11:40 PM
Geez, I have been pumped and booked for this game for some time. Flying down Friday for the weekend. The ash can nick off please.

Go Swannies
14th June 2011, 11:46 PM

Since Nicky D left we have bemoaning the absence of a smart goal sneak in the team. Gopher is a bit more useful around the ground than a dedicated forward. Vez is gone and we have TDL - smarter than anyone we've had in that role for years. With him in the team we are so much more dangerous going forward (in fact, when he was out we weren't dangerous at all) and we're very unpredictable. I bet Rattan is hoping he's dropped. TDL may not be doing much in defence - one of the claims against Nick, as well as disrupting the team, but he will be a vital player to win us games at the business end of the year.

Incidentally, does anyone remember his last game against the Blues - he was handy that night?

nomae
14th June 2011, 11:51 PM
Didnt catch the first half on Sunday, when did this McVeigh/Jackson incident occur?

Goal Sneak
15th June 2011, 12:47 AM
I think it's important for Mumford to get some game time this week before the Collingwood game. That said, he's gonna need some help from Seaby, who would be very unlucky to get dropped after that performance. Seaby can offer just as much, if not more than LRT in the forward line, and I don't think we need any help in the backline right now which is why LRT can't get a spot there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a ruck/forward, Seaby has it all over LRT. I like LRT but someone has to make way.

I wouldn't be dropping TDL just yet. I think he gives us a bit of agility in the forward 50. He can put himself in the right position but requires quality passes to take advantage.

Jetta is a work in progress. He does need some time but it will be worth it.

Slade
15th June 2011, 01:41 AM
The main question that I see for this game is who is going to take Judd. He has carved us up in recent times and needs to be stopped. Jack had him last game and did pretty well until his injury but I prefer Jack to have a more attacking role rather than a defensive one. I think that Shaw should be given a go - he has the leg speed, can tackle, has the mongrel needed to fight through Judds blockers and he is great running off his opponent. Another option would be to put Jack on him for the first half and Shaw for the second (or vice versa) which is when Judd is at his best.

As for who is going to get dropped - that is one of the problems we have because we have so many options. For team balance I think a straight Mummy/LRT swap would be the best as it keeps our speed. Although I am not a big fan of Jetta as he does not run hard enough I do not see who we would drop him for - Moore/Bevan - I can't see it happening. Rohan would be ideal but he needs to play some games in the reserves first.

Big Mike will have a week or two in the twos before he is ready to come back in again so will Jesse.

BlueRay
15th June 2011, 10:42 AM
It's not just Judd you have to worry about now, which has helped us get better. Robinson, Ellard and Curnow have been helping out and are all in great form, Murphy has been white hot of late, in fact the final against you guys last season is when a flick seemed to be switched. Yarrans attack of half back, Jamisons control of the back half with Russell and Duigan really providing support.

Carlton is no longer a one man band we have had a team contribution for several weeks now to the point where Judd is just looking like another player in the team rather than the stand out he has been for the past couple of seasons.

You guys have two players we will struggle to stop however Goodes and Mumford. If those guys get on top we're in trouble.

blinddog
15th June 2011, 10:48 AM
Mummy for LRT, that is the change I would be making. Then place him in the goal square, he brings it down TDL goals - all happy

ScottH
15th June 2011, 11:02 AM
Curnow is in his 3rd game back from injury, and has inmproved in wach game. He was a gun before that injury. So ti will be a matter of shutting down a few players. With Jack, and hopefully Mummy back we can get some midfield dominance happening. Will be tougher than the last 3 weeks.

aardvark
15th June 2011, 11:16 AM

This is how I saw it.

I saw it as EK did and believe me its not what I wanted to see. I only "Whack" people who deserve it and I don't watch games through red and white goggles like some others. I give credit where credit is due.

magic.merkin
15th June 2011, 11:24 AM
What team would have the balls to have as a sub, a "judd tag"? at half time switch his existing tag wherever, and bring the sub on to wear him like a fresh glove :). Disregarding team structure, injuries etc, it would be a nice indulgence, as the man is a freak.

Big Al
15th June 2011, 11:32 AM
I saw it as EK did and believe me its not what I wanted to see. I only "Whack" people who deserve it and I don't watch games through red and white goggles like some others. I give credit where credit is due.

I didn't see the incident in the same way you did. Doesn't mean I watch the game through red and white goggles it just means that as humans we can all see the same incident and perceive it differently. Doesn't make either one us right or wrong.

aardvark
15th June 2011, 11:55 AM
I didn't see the incident in the same way you did. Doesn't mean I watch the game through red and white goggles it just means that as humans we can all see the same incident and perceive it differently. Doesn't make either one us right or wrong.

Very true Big Al. I just took issue with the inference that I whack players for the fun of it. I didn't have an issue with anything you said.

Red
15th June 2011, 12:29 PM
Much as I hate to say it, perhaps Malceski out for Mummy?

If height & speed are Carlton's great strengths, poor old Mal is not looking like much of a counter for either right now. He's been brilliant for such a short recovery time, but he looks a litle slow lately and has been pinged HTB a few times.

His knee certainly wouldn't complain about a week off.

Primmy
15th June 2011, 12:38 PM

If height & speed are Carlton's great strengths, poor old Mal is not looking like much of a counter for either right now. He's been brilliant for such a short recovery time, but he looks a litle slow lately and has been pinged HTB a few times.

He will though. No, not Mal.

Trouble is we don't actually have any passengers. Stuffed if I know what to do. Mumms has to come in. After that, I have no blooody idea ...

Go Swannies
15th June 2011, 12:39 PM
The team looks a lot less flakey when Mal is playing. As, indeed it does when LRT is playing.

Triple B
15th June 2011, 01:13 PM
Didnt catch the first half on Sunday, when did this McVeigh/Jackson incident occur?

About 5 minutes in...

Triple B
15th June 2011, 01:17 PM

If you believe he ducked before contact, implying it was a weak effort and he should have stood tall and marked it rather than knocking it OOB, you need to watch it again...

ugg
15th June 2011, 01:20 PM
They showed it on One Week At The Time and the special guest Cam Mooney said he didn't think McVeigh ducked his head.

Bas
15th June 2011, 01:22 PM
The AFL has announced that teams that can't play each other this weekend because of the ash will have their games deemed as a draw.

I suggest we invoke the mercy rule now. Ash the whole thing up and refuse to fly for safety reasons and take the 2 points on offer. As I doubt on Carlton form at the moment we will see 4 points.

Go Swannies
15th June 2011, 01:32 PM
The AFL has announced that teams that can't play each other this weekend because of the ash will have their games deemed as a draw.

I suggest we invoke the mercy rule now. Ash the whole thing up and refuse to fly for safety reasons and take the 2 points on offer. As I doubt on Carlton form at the moment we will see 4 points.

I'd be dialling bus companies about now. I can't work out why so many here have given up on this game, unless you think we aren't playing any better than we were seven rounds ago?

And if we roll over against the Blues, with one more win than us and a recent finals loss to us then maybe we could send the whole team to Colorado instead of even bothering to turn up against the Pies the week after.

Most of my moments of pure joy - and the games I can watch over and over again - are when the team stands up and wins the "unwinnable". The Lions at the Gabba, Port at AAMI come to mind. The Blues are just the opening act. Beat the Pies the following week - and/or the Cats at Skilled - and we have a season to remember. If you don't think that a team that's fifth on the ladder should be aiming to do that, why bother following the team at all? That's a question, not an attack. If I didn't have at least a hope that we'd win each week (and tip that way) then I'd give up on the team.

Nich
15th June 2011, 01:36 PM
I just watched a replay of it and my opinion is that there was absolutely nothing in it at all. Very early in the game, he went back with the flight of the ball not knowing who was behind him and did what he needed/could do. I couldn't give a toss about what Jackson had to say. I'm sure the players say much more every game but they don't mimick the action as Jackson did so i won't read much into it.

dimelb
15th June 2011, 01:36 PM
Many observers would say the main reason Carlton won last time is that Kieren went down. If he can just break even with Judd (who is a truly outstanding player and captain), if we perform to something like our potential and if the boys can kick straight, we are in with a good chance.

Jewels
15th June 2011, 01:55 PM
I think perhaps Kennelly needs a "rest". Has anyone else noticed how slow he is on the kick-ins? He'll take the maximum amount of time allowed each time. And pretty much the same when he's marked in the back fifty. Eski, Mattner, Shaw, Richards, Grundy, LRT in defense.

I'm glad you raised this BRB, last Sunday I was screaming for someone, anyone other than Tiger to take the kick ins, he is so slow and predictable. I'd much rather the closest to the ball take the kick ins like most other teams, at least there's some variety then and a chance to clear it.

Surely this is a joke.........

I'd be dialling bus companies about now. I can't work out why so many here have given up on this game, unless you think we aren't playing any better than we were seven rounds ago?

And if we roll over against the Blues, with one more win than us and a recent finals loss to us then maybe we could send the whole team to Colorado instead of even bothering to turn up against the Pies the week after.

Most of my moments of pure joy - and the games I can watch over and over again - are when the team stands up and wins the "unwinnable". The Lions at the Gabba, Port at AAMI come to mind. The Blues are just the opening act. Beat the Pies the following week - and/or the Cats at Skilled - and we have a season to remember. If you don't think that a team that's fifth on the ladder should be aiming to do that, why bother following the team at all? That's a question, not an attack. If I didn't have at least a hope that we'd win each week (and tip that way) then I'd give up on the team.

Yep, spot on GS. We were dead set unlucky against them in round 6 and I believe Jacks injury and that diabolical interchange fiasco went a long way in determining the outcome of that game.
We have been so good on the road this year, with Mummy back and (hopefully) Jetta the super sub to do a repeat of what he did V North and this is anybodies game.

nomae
15th June 2011, 02:19 PM
I just watched a replay of it and my opinion is that there was absolutely nothing in it at all. Very early in the game, he went back with the flight of the ball not knowing who was behind him and did what he needed/could do. I couldn't give a toss about what Jackson had to say. I'm sure the players say much more every game but they don't mimick the action as Jackson did so i won't read much into it.

Couldn't agree more - just watched the replay and there was nothing in it. If Jackson hadn't been such a toss, no-one would be talking about this incident.

wolftone57
15th June 2011, 02:39 PM
Fwiw there is no way I'd be dropping jetta. we are playing a fast team at the fastest track - I'd have him in and if rohan was available I'd have him there as well.

Its strange because i'm one of seaby's biggest supporters and I also reckon super ted has done really well as a backman and is probably our second best tall defender this year but i reckon I'd be leaving seaby out to allow us to play LRT as a defender on Kreuzer and playing ted forward when kreuzer is on the field and playing forward.

I suspect this will be plan B as you wouldn't easily remove ted from your plan A defence, but it might just happen.

i reckon waite may well play on reid and gibbs on goodes so if we did have another forward who could lead and mark the pill (and I think ted does that far better than LRT can) that might cause them a few problems and super marty always plays well on third talls - maybe he will need to go to walker - who has only got into his run of form by playing as a defensive forward on tadgh last season. i did think at the time we were so busy trying to play marty on him that our defence went a bit pear shaped, but if we made it the out and out matchup it might work.

How do you work that out??? The Blues will have Walker, Waite, Kruizer/Hampson(don't know if you've seen him lately, dangerous) & O'hAilpin in the forward line. Take Teddy out & put LRT back that still leaves us 1 tall short & who is going to relieve Mummy? LRT from Centre Half Back or Back Pocket? Hampson has been murdering oposition backs with his high pack marking & he is a great kick at goal. 4 out of 6 forwards for the Bluebaggers are talls, 2 crumbers with wingers & midfielders to back up. Tht's how they play.

wolftone57
15th June 2011, 02:40 PM
waite has been playing forward

Danzar
15th June 2011, 02:46 PM
I don't see why you would call Jets lazy - I think he puts in a decent effort but does not have the physicality to get down and dirty with the in-and-unders. He's a young guy who's still developing and I don't think it's correct to label him as lazy.

Sorry Jono, I just don't agree. Whilst at no point have I suggested we drop him, I think the effort he's putting in is below par. If you have a alook at the criticism that's usually laid on Jetta, it consistently points to one thing - lazy.

"Goes missing for lengthy periods in the game, wont ever get the hard ball, opposition players break his tackles a little bit too easy" = lazy.

"..just needs to go in harder and find more of the ball" = lazy.

He tends to lurk around the contest waiting for a loose ball rather than getting in there and creating the opportunities. Yes, I know he's not yet developed, but that's not a prime excuse for just standing there and letting what are exceptional ball skills go to waste.

His level of intensity, use of his speed, tackling and overall performance around the contest is far below what it was when we first saw him last year.

To me, that is laziness.

wolftone57
15th June 2011, 02:52 PM

Mal's delivery is super & we look better for it. Not Mal!

wolftone57
15th June 2011, 03:08 PM

We have to beat the sides in the top 4 to win in the finals & I haven't given this game up. I think we are a good chance, Rat is not a great coach, neither is Horse?, they have the cattle but so do we. I think our side is developing quite nicely & we a a far better side than we were at the start of the season.

royboy42
15th June 2011, 03:58 PM
I'm going to stick up for a few guys here. I thought Irish's kick-ins last week were as good as he gets. More than half were kicks to himself gaining ten meters immediately, and then to the fifty or beyond. The dibby dabby defensive kick to the player in the pocket is no longer a guaranteed kick-in technique with us as it has been for too long.
The suggestion that Eski would benefit from a week off seems just ludicrous to me. Why? His kicking is about as good as it has ever been..he slipped a goal with his wrong foot last week, and he clears the ball so cleanly from defence. That suggestion bamboozles me.
Jetta lurking round the packs is not a bad thing..that's what an outside player does. If he takes his 70 or whatever kgs in there, he ain't coming out alive, much less with the ball under his arm. that's why teams have the Kennedys and the Boltons. He is a work in progress.
I'm not a blind suppoterr who can see no wrong, but iI do like to see respect paid to men who are busting their butts for us out there.

Dan
15th June 2011, 04:12 PM
In: Mumford
Out: LRT
Sub: Jetta

Tough for LRT but we need Mumford to beat the better sides, but mummy needs help from someone who can actually ruck that's why Seaby stays. I also think Mumford is probably better target resting up forward than LRT. TDL stays because since he has come back our forward line actually resembles something that can score (smashed Brisbane and 31 scoring shots last week). Jetta as the sub because his pace could be very handy in the dying stages if he just gets the ball and runs and runs and runs.

Red
15th June 2011, 04:17 PM
I'm a huge Mal fan, and I know it sounds stupid. But if the idea is that we don't want to lose any pace or height, then who else?

The other suggestions so far are either tall or quick(ish).

Nico
15th June 2011, 04:20 PM
Blakey was on SEN just after 12 today and said Mumford was playing. He also spoke well of Malceski so I reckon any suggestion he should be rested can be put to bed. He said it was a dilema now that Seaby was in form. Reading between the lines; both Seaby and Mumford will play. He gave absolutely no indication of who might be dropped.

ShockOfHair
15th June 2011, 04:40 PM
Huge dilemma between LRT and Seaby. I expect it will be decided on who matches up better. No idea myself.

I'd go for Jetta as 22nd man. He was a game-breaker against North.

As for dropping Mel - that's as ludicrous as his previous haircut.

Red
15th June 2011, 05:39 PM
As for dropping Mel - that's as ludicrous as his previous haircut.
Ouch -- that's pretty ludicrous :)

Aaron
15th June 2011, 05:51 PM
My preference will be more talls
OUT : Jetta
IN: Mummy
RLT as sub

dimelb
15th June 2011, 06:01 PM
Sorry Jono, I just don't agree. Whilst at no point have I suggested we drop him, I think the effort he's putting in is below par. If you have a alook at the criticism that's usually laid on Jetta, it consistently points to one thing - lazy.

"Goes missing for lengthy periods in the game, wont ever get the hard ball, opposition players break his tackles a little bit too easy" = lazy.

"..just needs to go in harder and find more of the ball" = lazy.

He tends to lurk around the contest waiting for a loose ball rather than getting in there and creating the opportunities. Yes, I know he's not yet developed, but that's not a prime excuse for just standing there and letting what are exceptional ball skills go to waste.

His level of intensity, use of his speed, tackling and overall performance around the contest is far below what it was when we first saw him last year.

To me, that is laziness.
I can think of other possibilities.
1. He is trying to follow coaching instructions to be on the spot when the ball comes out.
2. He is uncertain about how to meet the new demands being made on him.
3. He is still finding his feet at this level when in close contact.
4. He is anxious about stuffing up.
I dare say there are others I haven't canvassed. But I'd like us to stick with him because he can do things that no-one else on the team can do - e.g. that flying run down the sideline that led to Goodes's goal against North. And he seems to be getting the hang of what to do in close; did you see the neat little goal assist for Joey's Play of the Day? It's on the official site.

top40
15th June 2011, 06:19 PM
In: Mumford
Out: LRT
Sub: Jetta

Tough for LRT but we need Mumford to beat the better sides, but mummy needs help from someone who can actually ruck that's why Seaby stays. I also think Mumford is probably better target resting up forward than LRT. TDL stays because since he has come back our forward line actually resembles something that can score (smashed Brisbane and 31 scoring shots last week). Jetta as the sub because his pace could be very handy in the dying stages if he just gets the ball and runs and runs and runs.

I'm no expert, but I would consider a rotation process involving LRT, Mummy and Seaby in the positions of ruck, full forward, and the bench, seems sensible.

Lucky Knickers
15th June 2011, 07:11 PM
We need a huge game from JPK this weekend. He needs to Juddify Judd a la Q4 in the final last year.
Happy for Kizz to take a role but when JPK was slamming his way through everyone we really arrested momentum. We haven't seen a really dominant game like that from him this season. He's been doing some super great stuff but its time for El Bulli to come out.
Agree that McVeigh needs to work a bit harder. ROK and Hanners look to be running into very good form.
Blues will have a lot to worry about IMO. It's going to be a cracker.

Bas
15th June 2011, 07:28 PM

We are playing slightly better than last time. Problem is that Carlton is playing significantly better and Judd didn't even rate in terms of player votes last Sunday.

Why is everyone going on about an incident in last wek's game when the player match review has long been ended.

Anyone who thinks we negate Judd and we win, haven't been watching Carlton play in the last few weeks.

Bas
15th June 2011, 07:34 PM
Blakey was on SEN just after 12 today and said Mumford was playing. He also spoke well of Malceski so I reckon any suggestion he should be rested can be put to bed.

As best as I know, it has only been suggested here that Mal gets dropped. Not anywhere else.

Just like it gets suggested that Jetta and TDL are soft and get dropped.

The coaching panel will pick the best team according to the team match ups. Remember the coaching panel that picks the team each week.

The only player that should be dropped is Captain McHack. However, that won't happen.

I'm going back to ponder the significance of friendships and how much less credibility there is in the world today.

Go Swannies
15th June 2011, 07:48 PM
We are playing slightly better than last time. Problem is that Carlton is playing significantly better and Judd didn't even rate in terms of player votes last Sunday.

Why is everyone going on about an incident in last wek's game when the player match review has long been ended.

Anyone who thinks we negate Judd and we win, haven't been watching Carlton play in the last few weeks.

I'd say we are playing so much better now. There's a weird historic thing where we always play as badly as the Roos when we play them. But we completely dominated Brisbane (as much as the Blues did) and completely dominated the Tigers.

Bas
15th June 2011, 08:02 PM
From my perspective, we dominated the Lions for the first half then took the foot off the pedal.

We dominated the Tigers for about 3 minutes in the last quarter AFTER they hit the lead. Even then we nearly managed to lose the game.

The team is playing better now I agree without any really good form. If they could hit some serious good form in the next two games then we are in with a big chance.

The Swans have a relatively young team with enormous potential. Just might not really see that this year.

If we could win at least one of the two next games we would have everyone ranting about our top 4 potential.

Go Swannies
15th June 2011, 08:47 PM
If you look at the comparative scoring shots, the Tigers were never in the game. Bad kicking by us gave them a chance but you seem to regard our short spell of accuracy (Jetstar come on down!) as the only time of dominance. I think Jack R may have a different view of relative dominance than you do. I don't think we'll beat the Blues or Pies if we kick as badly as we did last week but we will if we not only control games but kick straight too. It's great to be playing the Blues again to see how far we've come since we let the last game be ripped from our grasp. Hopefully, we're a better team that won't let it happen again.

Bas
15th June 2011, 09:13 PM
If you look at the comparative scoring shots, the Tigers were never in the game.

Probably a moot point but even with all the missed goals they did hit the lead in the final quarter and could have won the game.

The question is when does a team dominate the opposition? A bit like winning the battle and losing the war if at the end of the day you kick 21 behinds and still lose the game.

I'm not sure how much this game this Saturday will show how far we have come. A great deal if we win but not so clear if we lose. A big feature of Carlton's play last Sunday was the way they attacked each contest and tackled the Lions. If we can do this for the whole game this Saturday and still lose then I would be happy. However, if the team plays like the Captian then-------------------------------------> Iron Chef and Chen Kenichi looks good entertainment!

nomae
15th June 2011, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure how much this game this Saturday

*Sunday

Bas
15th June 2011, 10:10 PM
*Sunday

Sunday !!!!!! oh no, what to do without the Iron Chef safety net?????? I'll IQ it and save it till then.

I got confused with the ressies game at Rooty Hill. Lots of ash in the air out there ;)

nomae
15th June 2011, 10:18 PM
Sunday !!!!!! oh no, what to do without the Iron Chef safety net?????? I'll IQ it and save it till then.

I got confused with the ressies game at Rooty Hill. Lots of ash in the air out there ;)

Fingers crossed Iron chef wont be necessary!

Big Al
15th June 2011, 10:49 PM

I'll be at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday so I'll let the Tigers play the Iron Chef role. :)

Captain
15th June 2011, 11:13 PM
If we are too tall and they want to play 2 ruckman, then Johnson would be the one to go.

He has been amazing this year and would be very unlucky. However it would be more unfair to drop LRT who has been amazing over many years.

Bas
15th June 2011, 11:37 PM
On 360 degree tonight, David King presented the following stats about Carlton:

1. No 1 Counter attack team in the comp;
2. Top 4 in applying the press;
3. An inform midfield - every player;
4. Top 3 in comp for marks in their forward 50;
5. No 1 for hard ball gets in their forward 50;
6. No 1 for tackles in their forward 50;
7. Forward structure is unique and they are in top 3 of comp for non mark goals in their forward 50.
8. If they don't beat you in the air they get you off the ground.

So the Swans have a major battle on their hands in defence and I don't think any defender is going to get dropped.

It's going to put alot of pressure on our midfield and passengers will be exposed very quickly.

The 360 panel thought that Sydney has a unique style and Mark McClure says he loves them but they are not good enough to beat the top 4 sides and will lose to both Carlton and Collingwood.

They are an honest team and beat the team below them (McClure). David King said that Sydney is not a team that you want to play in the finals because they have been playing that style for 20 weeks. If they can finish top 4 they will get through to the preliminary final.

McClure said they will lose next 2 and only the Freo game poses a problem in the next 6 weeks. That depends on who Freo get back as they beat Sydney at the SCG last year.

Playsmart
15th June 2011, 11:43 PM
TDL stays because since he has come back our forward line actually resembles something that can score (smashed Brisbane and 31 scoring shots last week). Jetta as the sub because his pace could be very handy in the dying stages if he just gets the ball and runs and runs and runs.

I recalled very clearly it was TDL who set the positive mood for the Syd team at the very start in Syd Vs Brisbane game. he led at the first minutes, his trademark move. You need TDL to setup up dashing runs to space or creating movements to confuse the opponents and setup for himself or other forwards. he makes Sydney forward look more often dangeorous given oportunities. His weakness, like the most of the present other 22 players weakness can be addressed, but he is too important to create chances at forward. If he can run fast, he would develop to defensive forward as wel. Once he gaisn confidence at the top levelm his reliable scoring will bear fruits. No, TDL should be kept in the present team. I say, maceski to miss out to give him some rest in the next game Vs Caltron for his leg sake, or Jetta who has not served his quick running purpose well, or take turn to rest players. See how mumford has crashed with his constant games in past games until he injured himself. This was clearly the coach's fault. He needs to be rested in turn as well.

Danzar
16th June 2011, 12:33 PM
I can think of other possibilities.
1. He is trying to follow coaching instructions to be on the spot when the ball comes out.
2. He is uncertain about how to meet the new demands being made on him.
3. He is still finding his feet at this level when in close contact.
4. He is anxious about stuffing up.
I dare say there are others I haven't canvassed. But I'd like us to stick with him because he can do things that no-one else on the team can do - e.g. that flying run down the sideline that led to Goodes's goal against North. And he seems to be getting the hang of what to do in close; did you see the neat little goal assist for Joey's Play of the Day? It's on the official site.
I did. He shows these touches of sheer brilliance that leaves me scratching my head in bewilderment. All of your points could be it (I mean, we really don't know do we) but I'm simply coming from the basis that the gaps between the times when he shows these touches of brilliance is getting wider and he just goes missing in between. He's a different player to what he was last year.

One one hand it could be uncertainty and on the other it could be laziness.

We'll see - I agree we should persist with him and reiterate my point that he should not be dropped (and nor should TDL for thes ame reasons).

Captain
16th June 2011, 01:09 PM
TDL creates goals from nothing. His goal against the Tigers is a good example.

Needs to get more involved, but that is common with players who are very junior.

Bas
16th June 2011, 02:27 PM
Yet another reason that Carlton will comfortably win on Sunday:

A six-pack of stars comes out of the Blue (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-sixpack-of-stars-comes-out-of-the-blue-20110615-1g3xc.html)

Check back Sunday 4:45 pm.

Robbo
16th June 2011, 02:30 PM
Can't believe there is even talk about dropping TDL. The difference in the way our forward line has functioned since he has come back has been massive. We have actually looked potent the last couple of weeks.

Aaron
16th June 2011, 02:53 PM
I know we have no place for them this week, but Bevan and Currie should be awarded a place in the emergency list for their performance in the past few weeks. They deserve some 'hope'.

BSA5
16th June 2011, 02:56 PM
Yet another reason that Carlton will comfortably win on Sunday:

A six-pack of stars comes out of the Blue (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-sixpack-of-stars-comes-out-of-the-blue-20110615-1g3xc.html)

Check back Sunday 4:45 pm.

On the contrary, it means that they're heavily reliant on those six players. If a team which has not been dominant has 6 players in the best 22, then that doesn't say much for their bottom end. We shut out their stars, we'll win it with our middle and bottom tier players.

Of course, that's easier said than done, but it does expose a weakness.

Ardent Swan
16th June 2011, 04:28 PM
I also think they said on 360 last night that West Coast are playing talls in their forward line and are the big improvers this season.
Is it worth a try for Swans

ugg
16th June 2011, 06:02 PM
Swans

B: N.Smith, T.Richards, A.Johnson
HB: T.Kennelly, H.Grundy, M.Mattner
C: R.Shaw, J.Bolton, J.McVeigh
HF: B.McGlynn, S.Reid, J.Kennedy
F: K.Jack, A.Goodes, R.O'Keefe
Foll: S.Mumford, C.Bird, D.Hannebery
I/C from: P.Bevan, T.Dennis-Lane, L.Jetta, N.Malceski, J.Moore, L.Roberts-Thomson, M.Seaby

In: Bevan, Moore, Mumford

Bas
16th June 2011, 06:09 PM
Ugg, Clear some of your RWO email space as you can't receive messages

Here's some news for Ressies. Didn't want to start ressies thread out of respect:

GIANTS v Swans Reserves

Blacktown International Sports Park

SATURDAY, JUNE 18

Gates open 11.45am

Match starts 2pm

What?s on?

? GIANTS v Swans Reserves match 2pm

? Junior GIANTS Game Day Clinic

? GIANT Fan Zone inc; GIANT inflatable AFL skills wall featuring kicking, handball game and high marking

? Meet GIANTS players and get an autograph

Tickets

Tickets available at the gate, adults: $5

GIANTS Foundation members get in FREE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BSA5
16th June 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm guessing Seaby will have been training at FF most of this week. Looks like it's out of him and LRT.

stellation
16th June 2011, 06:11 PM
If Carlton are a relatively quick side you'd assume that Bevo and Moore probably won't come in?

ugg
16th June 2011, 06:15 PM
Mumford will have to pass a training session tomorrow.

chalbilto
16th June 2011, 06:19 PM
Swans

I/C from: P.Bevan, T.Dennis-Lane, L.Jetta, N.Malceski, J.Moore, L.Roberts-Thomson, M.Seaby

In: Bevan, Moore, Mumford

Bevan:eek:

stellation
16th June 2011, 06:20 PM
Mumford will have to pass a training session tomorrow.

A digestive system that can pass 20 sausages can pass a training session with no problems. He'll play!

ugg
16th June 2011, 06:22 PM
Bevan:eek:
To be fair, he was really good last week and by all reports pretty decent in the Lions game as well. It'll be interesting to see how many travelling emergencies they take, keep an eye out for the Reserves team as they play on the Saturday.

BSA5
16th June 2011, 06:22 PM
Think it's time to revisit this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou6CgIIHxvk

ugg
16th June 2011, 06:25 PM
Backs: Z. Tuohy M. Jamison J. Russell
HBacks: N. Duigan B. Thornton C. Yarran
Centres: M. Murphy B. Gibbs H. Scotland
HForwards: E. Betts L. Henderson K. Simpson
Forwards: J. Garlett S. Hampson A. Walker
Interchange from: A. Carrazzo D. Ellard E. Curnow R. Houlihan P. Bower M. Austin D. Armfield

In: R. Houlihan M. Austin D. Armfield

Peace
16th June 2011, 06:28 PM
I don't think Carlton are coming..... No, wait! (e)

nomae
16th June 2011, 06:33 PM
Brendon Fraser a big in for Carlton.

dimelb
16th June 2011, 06:36 PM
Backs: Z. Tuohy M. Jamison J. Russell
HBacks: N. Duigan B. Thornton C. Yarran
Centres: M. Murphy B. Gibbs H. Scotland
HForwards: E. Betts L. Henderson K. Simpson
Forwards: J. Garlett S. Hampson A. Walker
Interchange from: A. Carrazzo D. Ellard E. Curnow R. Houlihan P. Bower M. Austin D. Armfield

In: R. Houlihan M. Austin D. Armfield

Followers?

stellation
16th June 2011, 06:39 PM
Followers?

When we named Mummy they decided there was no point in even bothering to have any. :D

ugg
16th June 2011, 06:41 PM
Followers?
Hehe, I guess they're THAT confident.

I'm guessing
M.Kreuzer, C.Judd, M.Robinson?

Robbo
16th June 2011, 06:42 PM
Would drop LRT. Carlton only have 2 talls up forward and we already have 3 talls down back without LRT. It would also be a big ask for Mumford to come back from injury and be the only recognised ruckman in the side.

Peace
16th June 2011, 06:42 PM
Random.... slightly differently organised lised on the swans site from what ugg posted.

Bas
16th June 2011, 06:48 PM
Brendon Fraser a big in for Carlton.

Fevola

Swansongster
16th June 2011, 06:56 PM

I'd leave out Bevan, Moore and LRT. Jetta as sub for a Norf repeat effort. We need TDL to sniff out a goal or two.

Does BAS5 know something? His great trailer says "Mummy returns" for the Gold Coast game.

Blue beaters for mine.

13/4 odds on TAB Sportsbet for 1-39 margin will do me.

ugg
16th June 2011, 06:57 PM
Umpires
24. Michael JENNINGS (2 wins 100.0%)
25. Shaun RYAN (14 wins 13 losses 2 draws 48.3%)
26. Jason ARMSTRONG (2 wins 3 losses 1 draw 33.3%)

Emg
9. Matt STEVIC (12 wins 12 losses 50.0%)

This year
Armstrong has umpired the Melbourne draw, the Geelong loss and the Richmond win
Ryan umpired the Geelong loss
Jennings umpired the Essendon and Richmond wins
Stevic umpired the Carlton loss

mcs
16th June 2011, 08:01 PM
Armstrong was woeful last week I thought and Ryan is always woeful!

mcs
16th June 2011, 08:02 PM
I'd leave out Bevan, Moore and LRT. Jetta as sub for a Norf repeat effort. We need TDL to sniff out a goal or two.

Does BAS5 know something? His great trailer says "Mummy returns" for the Gold Coast game.

Blue beaters for mine.

13/4 odds on TAB Sportsbet for 1-39 margin will do me.

Paying quite nicely for 1-39 indeed... I'm going to have a few bucks on it on Sunday as I think we are a real decent shout.

Bas
16th June 2011, 08:15 PM
Paying quite nicely for 1-39 indeed... I'm going to have a few bucks on it on Sunday as I think we are a real decent shout.

Them winning or us?

What are the odds for them winning in same bracket?

mcs
16th June 2011, 09:38 PM
Them winning or us?

What are the odds for them winning in same bracket?

Carlton under 39.5 points is $2.25 and us under 39.5 points is $4.25. I think that is quite generous for us despite Carlton's good form this year and win over us earlier in the season. We beat them down there last year and I think we can beat them if we kick straight. Big IF i know.

Young Blood
16th June 2011, 09:46 PM
Bevan in to play on Yarran?

Bas
16th June 2011, 09:59 PM
Bevan in to play on Yarran?

Yarran has been in excellent form.

BSA5
16th June 2011, 10:14 PM
Yarran has been in excellent form.

So that's a no then? :p

nomae
16th June 2011, 10:18 PM
Fevola

The Mummy Returns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy_Returns)

Mountain Man
16th June 2011, 10:38 PM
There have been 5 changes to the Swans team since Round 6 (V Carlton at SCG). Assuming Moore and Bevan miss out from the extended interchange, and say LRT omitted and Seaby remains. The "ins" seem to be improvements.

OUT: IN:
Pyke Seaby
White (subbed out after 60%) DTL
Everitt (subbed in with 31%) A Johnson
Bevan Grundy
Moore Malceski

Jack ended up playing 79% of game time - but part of that time carrying an injury.

wolftone57
16th June 2011, 11:24 PM
The full side will be decided on Fri night so I don't know why we are bothering to argue about who will play. Thw decision will be made at a later dater then we can think of the scenarios

Bas
17th June 2011, 12:06 AM
The Mummy Returns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy_Returns)

That's a relief, I thought you were having a senior's moment :)

Bas
17th June 2011, 12:15 AM
The full side will be decided on Fri night so I don't know why we are bothering to argue about who will play. Thw decision will be made at a later dater then we can think of the scenarios

Because it's RWO that's why.

It's called natural progession: Contemplating belly button fluff ----------->Team selections--------------------->Creative ways to sack the coach and new coach selection-----------------------> back to belly button fluff.

Personally, I find the belly button fluff contempletion very absorbing. The physics of it may just have an impact on world peace one day. The collective swirling, gathering, bonding to become one..............

Who's playing again???

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2011, 09:07 AM
Im going out on a limb this weekend !

We will beat Carlton and re instate THE FEAR OF PLAYING THE SWANS !

This game is a time for players like Bird, Hannes, Jetta, Macca, Goodes etc to go to a new level because the simple fact is that we need these type of players aiming up at 110% for us to be a contender !

I think this game against Carlton is a fork in the road game and every Swan player knows it !

They know that this game represents more then 4pts.............it is the true test of whether they will charge after 3rd place or not this season and also whether we are plateauing or on the upward swing of team development ! 2011 is our spring board to 2012 but we will scare the pants off some teams in 2011 if we gain the confidence of winning this game !

Onwards and upwards !

:0

Bas
17th June 2011, 09:26 AM
I think this game against Carlton is a fork in the road game and every Swan player knows it !

From past history, games such as this is where they usually fall over without a whimper. The time they have needed to step up and they get caught playing musical chairs.

I think they're up an effluent tributary without a means of propulsion in this game and next week.

I bet you half a dozen pumpkin scones!

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2011, 09:55 AM
C'mon

only a dozen scones :)

I got a feeling................as Black eye peas say.............that tomorrow night is going to be a good night

Jetta will break the shackles of playing cautiously and will absolutely rip it up !

Our back Six are truly becoming a force !

Our midfield can contain the Blues..........and our fowards........its time baby to convert the pts !!!!

Its red and white all night !

Lionel..............."all night long........all night"

"Well my friends, the time has come.
Raise the roooooof and have some fun !"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLziusKW4s

All night long !!!

ScottH
17th June 2011, 09:58 AM
I'd prefer Sunday arvo to be a Good Arvo.

Peace
17th June 2011, 09:59 AM
Article in the herald this morning mentions if they play all 3 talls, TDL might be the one who has to go because he has been subbed off in the last two games.

"Longmire said he would consider taking three talls - Mumford, Seaby and Lewis Roberts-Thomson - into the game. If he does that, mercurial forward Trent Dennis-Lane is likely to come under scrutiny after being substituted in his two games this season."

I don't think he should, he played very well against carlton last year.

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2011, 10:03 AM
I'd prefer Sunday arvo to be a Good Arvo.

ooops

see what happens when Lionel starts playing.............I cant even remember what day we are playing :)

Triple B
17th June 2011, 10:29 AM
I think they're up an effluent tributary without a means of propulsion in this game and next week.

Bas, you need to stop going to Melbourne for weekends away, it has seriously @@@@@@ with your head. You've been an absolute negative nelly all week, which I wouldn't have thought is your usual demeanour.

The propaganda machine down there has convinced you that the Swans are useless, no chance of beating anybody with a smidgeon of ability and Carlton are awesome.

If there is a footy god, we will win this week just to ensure we are all spared the 'size 7' font if you fluke picking the other seven winners.....

Go Swannies
17th June 2011, 11:39 AM
From past history, games such as this is where they usually fall over without a whimper. The time they have needed to step up and they get caught playing musical chairs.

I bet you half a dozen pumpkin scones!

It shows that you joined in 2003 but you would recall that we went from easybeats to giant slayers. Do you really think we are mentally soft, as you say? Personally, I think we are a young team just getting its structures together. I expect us to win and will be disappointed if we don't.

Let me know when you'll be delivering the pumpkin scones after Juddy is left without a glass slipper or his pumpkin coach (laboured metaphor but that's a fair description of Ratten!).

BlueRay
17th June 2011, 11:39 AM
Not happy with all the positive press we are receiving at the moment, I'm a bit afraid that a few of our younger guys may get ahead of themselves, also a bit of news from a reliable source at training on Thursday was that Jamison has a pronounced limp and was not running. Pretty certain we'll take the same team in but Jammo is a worry, if he goes out I can see us bringing in Houlihan as the sub and more run.

Carlton is still stinging from the loss in last years final and have brought it up several times this week, Kruezer and Henderson will be better for the run last week and under the roof at Etihad I can't see you guys matching our spread and speed around the ground. If Hampson continues with his high jumping and hits to advantage form in the middle it will give Seaby and Mumford someone different to deal with.

Sydney is still a bogey team for us but if we are serious about top 4 we have to win this one at home.

Jewels
17th June 2011, 12:20 PM
Bas, you need to stop going to Melbourne for weekends away, it has seriously @@@@@@ with your head. You've been an absolute negative nelly all week, which I wouldn't have thought is your usual demeanour.

The propaganda machine down there has convinced you that the Swans are useless, no chance of beating anybody with a smidgeon of ability and Carlton are awesome.

If there is a footy god, we will win this week just to ensure we are all spared the 'size 7' font if you fluke picking the other seven winners.....

I was going to post the exact same thing BBB, Bas is very much out of character this week.

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2011, 12:29 PM
someone might need a hug :)

ShockOfHair
17th June 2011, 12:31 PM
Carlton might be favourite, but it's an away game and this year we've turned 'away' into a fortress.

Untamed Snark
17th June 2011, 12:47 PM
someone might need a hug :)

And a nice glass of wine (we really need an icon for that)

Hartijon
17th June 2011, 01:15 PM
I believe we have a real chance of winning this one if the right Sydney turns up to play.Any top 22 player only has to look at the emergencies to get motivation to play well. There are top players waiting to take your place,tall,small,forwards and backs!

Also ,if we have trouble picking our best 22 and positioning them,imagine the opposition trying to get a game plan to stop us. Usually I don't like reactive selection,I think you pick your best 22 on form then position them.However Judd is a match winner.Someone must totally sacrifice their game to stop him. The rest of the Carlton team is good but we can handle them apart from Betts who needs a special tag as well. I would not be worried with both Mummy and Seaby in the team.That is an advantage not a disadvantage.

Got a positive feeling and the footy Gods should favour us after what happened last time!

ugg
17th June 2011, 01:28 PM
TDL dropped. Bevan to travel as emergency.

Nich
17th June 2011, 01:32 PM
Judd's always been a match winner - however, the Blues don't win every Match. We know what to do, and our last encounter was unfortunate with Kizza going off. I don't believe any of the Blues hype. The bottom 8 is fairly mediocre and if they weren't sitting top 4 right now with their draw so far they should be all giving it away right now. They've been allowed to play out their plans the last several games. It won't happen on Sunday. I'm not super confident we will win but i'm confident the Blues don't have this in the bag at all. In fact I laugh at any of those suggestions.

Let's be serious - and I know you can only beat who they put you up against - but they were beaten by the Pies, drew with Essendon and ran Geelong very closely at Etihad. They beat us in Sydney which was a super result for them, although not convincingly, and the rest are games they should be winning. Nothing spectacular going on as far as i'm concerned. If this was in Sydney I would still back us in hard. Only thing here is it's in Melbourne, and our away record is exceptional. Actually i'm getting more confident by each letter I type. Close game - Swans by 9.

Captain
17th June 2011, 01:33 PM
Dropping TDL is a mistake IMO. However I can see that they didn't have much choice as to drop LRT or Seaby would have been stupid.

Aaron
17th June 2011, 01:38 PM
Don't like TDL to be dropped. Don't know how to justify Jetta can contribute more than TDL! Anyway, still predict we can win in a tight game!

stellation
17th June 2011, 01:54 PM
Don't like TDL to be dropped. Don't know how to justify Jetta can contribute more than TDL! Anyway, still predict we can win in a tight game!

Whilst I would have liked to see Trent stay in the team for another game or two, I think dropping Lewis when going up against a speedy midfield on a big ground would be a mistake. I know Trent has been subbed off twice (and really was the obvious choice in at least the last game based on performance), but over the last two games I think Lewis has contributed more than Trent.

Nich
17th June 2011, 02:02 PM
With Jack back it may allow Benny to sneak back into the goal square a bit as well. A bit difficult to get that balance right but obviously the Coaches think they are getting it right.

Triple B
17th June 2011, 02:06 PM
It was always going to be tough and somebody was going to be unlucky.

I suspect they think they will need LRT to stand Hampson/Kruezer and I think they have a point.

No doubt in my mind that Jetta will play as the sub, injecting himself into the game late for some run and carry as he showed in the Norf game. I really don't think it came down to TDL or Jetta, even the staunchest TDL supporters would agree that Jetta is better value as the sub.

Hopefully TDL will go back and perform in the 2's and he may well get a call-up the very next week if they go with a true 'horses for courses' policy.

JudesaGun
17th June 2011, 02:09 PM
Any chance that Shaw goes forward as he did in the game against Carlton last year?

Or will he be needed for Garlett or Betts?

Triple B
17th June 2011, 02:20 PM
Any chance that Shaw goes forward as he did in the game against Carlton last year?

I'd like Shaw to go forward and run with Yarran to stop his run off halfback. Wouldn't surprise to see it happen at all.

Peace
17th June 2011, 02:37 PM
With TDL dropped.... We will have our ruckmen resting in the forward line, Goodes to spend more time in the Midfield?

magic.merkin
17th June 2011, 03:05 PM
I'm happy with the changes.

Melbournehammer
17th June 2011, 03:31 PM
I'm happy with the changes.

I'm not and if the ball comes flying out of the forward 50 because we are generally speaking too tall on the day against a fast team with a great midfield, I will be reasonably disappointed. Also from what I have seen so far TDL is one of our better people to lead and mark the ball.

it also suggests that we still haven't worked out our best team and best team in light of the subs rule.

I think in light of the melbourne game that neither seaby nor Mumford will be sub, and it is unlikely that LRT or AJ on the bench offers much (other than an insurance for one of the tall defenders) then we will end up with a runner on the bench -most likely jetta again.

I think we are at risk of going too tall without a forward option that can lead and mark. I still think the game is decided by the midfield and contested ball but I'd hate to think we might win that and lose because once the bal hits the ground in our forward line it gets swept up the field with ease.

Nich
17th June 2011, 03:49 PM
I'll add to that and suggest the Blues will make that little extra effort to shut down Sam and make life tough for him. Take him out of the game. That's when you need another player leading well into those small spaces to capitalise on alternative opportunities. Hopefully Benny fills that. Pretty sure he will. Would be nice to have some consistency though. TDL is a pretty handy kick and our efficiency is absolutely RUBBISH right now. We really need someone to mark and kick goals. Just is not happening this year.

Yuri H
17th June 2011, 04:17 PM
Dropping TDL? Bah. The moment after I click "Post Quick Reply", I am going to fold my arms, utter a mighty "harrrumph", and sulk through the weekend.

Go Swannies
17th June 2011, 04:35 PM
I'd like to have TDL there but someone had to go. And we may force the Blues to respond to our strengths - and LRT and Seaby deserve their spots on what they've shown - rather than us try to match them t o win.

johnno
17th June 2011, 05:01 PM

Shaw will tag someone, dont who, but he'll tag all game.

Bloody Hell
17th June 2011, 05:33 PM
TDL dropped. Bevan to travel as emergency.

Weak as....

Had a tough decision to make and took the easy option.

Go Swannies
17th June 2011, 05:44 PM
Weak as....

Had a tough decision to make and took the easy option.

The tough decision was to drop Mal?

ugg
17th June 2011, 05:48 PM
Carlton
B: Zach Tuohy, Michael Jamison, Jordan Russell
HB: Nick Duigan, Bret Thornton, Christopher Yarran
C: Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs, Heath Scotland
HF: Eddie Betts, Lachlan Henderson, Kade Simpson
F: Jeffrey Garlett, Shaun Hampson, Andrew Walker
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Mitch Robinson, Chris Judd

I/C: Andrew Carrazzo, Ryan Houlihan, David Ellard, Edward Curnow
Emg: Paul Bower, Mark Austin, Dennis Armfield

In: Ryan Houlihan
Out: Paul Bower

Sydney Swans
B: Nicholas Smith, Ted Richards, Alex Johnson
HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Heath Grundy, Martin Mattner
C: Rhyce Shaw, Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid, Josh P. Kennedy
F: Kieren Jack, Adam Goodes, Ryan O'Keefe
Foll: Shane Mumford, Craig Bird, Daniel Hannebery

I/C: Nick Malceski, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Mark Seaby, Lewis Jetta
Emg: Paul Bevan, Jarred Moore, Trent Dennis-Lane

In: Shane Mumford
Out: Trent Dennis-Lane

longmile
17th June 2011, 05:51 PM
I'm a real fan of TDL, but I feel like this was the right choice.
Hope to see him back next week though, kicking 4 in a win over Collingwood (a man can dream cant he)

Nich
17th June 2011, 05:57 PM
Mmm.....going to be an interesting game!

I know it's been said a thousand times but I really feel we are a key forward away from being real contenders. Our clearances are improving. Our tackling is superb. Our inside 50's are not too bad, we just aren't capitalising on them. Our 1%'s are second to none. Contested possessions are strong. Carlton are in for a real game on Sunday. Have no doubts. We just need scoreboard pressure to round us off! GAME ON!!!

Melbourne_Blood
17th June 2011, 06:05 PM
I'd like to see LRT do a job on Jamison like he did against Merrett. Looking at their backline, we may be able to stretch them at times with Reid, Goodes, Lrt and a resting ruckman rotating through.

Robbo
17th June 2011, 06:08 PM
We are too tall IMO.

Nich
17th June 2011, 06:09 PM
TDL missing due to week long illness. That's the Swans line on Facebook.

ugg
17th June 2011, 06:29 PM
Freo did something a bit different with their ruckmen last week. They had Griffin rucking and Zac Clarke playing on the wing. When there was a ball-up or throw-in, Clarke would just come in and whack the ball clear while Griffin and his opponent were wrestlign with each other. I wonder if Horse might try something similar with LRT.

Robbo
17th June 2011, 06:47 PM

Why would he be an emergency then?

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2011, 07:08 PM
Goodes will be in the midfield most of the game and LRT will play FF !

pretty good compromise given LRT doing it quite easy up forward last few weeks !

Seaby and Mummy interchanging

Bas
17th June 2011, 07:15 PM
The sub will be?????? Jetta i'm guessing.

ugg
17th June 2011, 07:40 PM
Jetta sub and will come on for one of the talls probably Seaby

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2011, 07:46 PM
LRT no doubt will get some time down back also with Hampson, Henderson and Kruezer popping up front..........that is a very tall Forward Line

Rod_
17th June 2011, 08:19 PM
A tall to be sub? We will need all the tackling power we can on the field at the one time.

Rod_

Owen87
17th June 2011, 08:29 PM
Why would he be an emergency then?

Probably just named as an emergency because you have to list 3 and just a non travelling emergency. Like O'Dwyer was in the finals last year

ScottH
17th June 2011, 09:07 PM
Dropping TDL? Bah. The moment after I click "Post Quick Reply", I am going to fold my arms, utter a mighty "harrrumph", and sulk through the weekend.

He wasn't dropped, he is Ill.

The Big Cat
17th June 2011, 09:34 PM
Freo did something a bit different with their ruckmen last week. They had Griffin rucking and Zac Clarke playing on the wing. When there was a ball-up or throw-in, Clarke would just come in and whack the ball clear while Griffin and his opponent were wrestlign with each other. I wonder if Horse might try something similar with LRT.

With Carlton we don't want it clear. They will kill us with outside ball. We want our ruckmen to drop it at their feet.

Bloody Hell
18th June 2011, 01:45 AM
The tough decision was to drop Mal?
No.

We are too tall IMO.
Indeed.

Fair enough....but,

We are too tall IMO.

Bloody Hell
18th June 2011, 01:47 AM
Goodes will be in the midfield most of the game and LRT will play FF !

pretty good compromise given LRT doing it quite easy up forward last few weeks !

Seaby and Mummy interchanging

I hope you're kidding. He's no FF.

DeadlyAkkuret
18th June 2011, 06:00 AM
Not happy with all the positive press we are receiving at the moment, I'm a bit afraid that a few of our younger guys may get ahead of themselves, also a bit of news from a reliable source at training on Thursday was that Jamison has a pronounced limp and was not running. Pretty certain we'll take the same team in but Jammo is a worry, if he goes out I can see us bringing in Houlihan as the sub and more run.

Carlton is still stinging from the loss in last years final and have brought it up several times this week, Kruezer and Henderson will be better for the run last week and under the roof at Etihad I can't see you guys matching our spread and speed around the ground. If Hampson continues with his high jumping and hits to advantage form in the middle it will give Seaby and Mumford someone different to deal with.

Sydney is still a bogey team for us but if we are serious about top 4 we have to win this one at home.

Are the Blues faster than Essendon, West Coast and Melbourne? They were all supposed to beat us with speed on big grounds.

If we're serious about 2011 we should be winning these games against fellow contenders.

swantastic
18th June 2011, 08:02 AM
I hope you're kidding. He's no FF.u 4got 1.....hes no bloody footballer either
waste of space

stellation
18th June 2011, 08:32 AM

OMG, TDL is ILL in IBM 100?

Primmy
18th June 2011, 08:43 AM
He got subbed off last game, and he had run out of puff by then.....it figures.....Roosy has said TDL takes a long time to recover.....and I am NOT going to countenance dropping NicMal.

wolftone57
18th June 2011, 11:50 AM
He got subbed off last game, and he had run out of puff by then.....it figures.....Roosy has said TDL takes a long time to recover.....and I am NOT going to countenance dropping NicMal.

Nor would I, Nic is one of the best kicks in the league & I think he is playing reasonably well. He is doing the job asked of him for team ballance & sometimes it might not suit his natural attacking game. Sorry if TDL is ill as I think he is a very good player & has the raw talent to become a 50 goal plus forward for us in the future.

aardvark
18th June 2011, 12:57 PM
This week we will find out if 2 & 1/2 Ruckmen will work for us. The thought of Jamieson or Thornton matched up in the goal square against Mummy is rather appealing. Just need to work out how to get the ball down there.

ShockOfHair
18th June 2011, 01:59 PM
This week we will find out if 2 & 1/2 Ruckmen will work for us. The thought of Jamieson or Thornton matched up in the goal square against Mummy is rather appealing. Just need to work out how to get the ball down there.

Surely LRT and Seaby more likely to be at FF. LRT is a pretty average tap ruckman so more likely to be forward than in the stoppages. Seaby can find the goals. Great to see Mummo back anywhere on field.

We do feel very tall and a fraction slow against a team containing Judd, Yarran, Betts. If we win, the coach is a genius. If we lose, he's horsefeed.

hot potato
18th June 2011, 02:12 PM
Carlton will dominate during this game for extended periods, so The Swans need an 8 goal to 1 quarter somewhere to provide the buffer...
and then just stagger over the line by 3 points.... the usual heart in the mouth stuff.

They will just get the job done...

HP

aardvark
18th June 2011, 02:22 PM
Surely LRT and Seaby more likely to be at FF. LRT is a pretty average tap ruckman so more likely to be forward than in the stoppages. Seaby can find the goals. Great to see Mummo back anywhere on field.

We do feel very tall and a fraction slow against a team containing Judd, Yarran, Betts. If we win, the coach is a genius. If we lose, he's horsefeed.

Maybe LRT will rotate in with the backline leaving the ruckwork to Mummy and Seabs. Its hard to see the value of him as a sub unless its insurance for Mummy.

Hartijon
18th June 2011, 02:33 PM
Too Tall? The glass can be half full or half empty. Lets think positively about our height advantage because it is an advantage if we play to it. It requires the team to kick higher because we should win a one on one marking contest with our talls. If we kick too low and slow we will get slaughtered. So it gets down to adjusting and following team plans to use our height to trounce Carlton in the air.If we can do this we will win.

Go Swannies
18th June 2011, 03:08 PM
Carlton will dominate during this game for extended periods, so The Swans need an 8 goal to 1 quarter somewhere to provide the buffer...
and then just stagger over the line by 3 points.... the usual heart in the mouth stuff.

They will just get the job done...

HP

If that happens it will be uncharacteristic for the Blues this year. The have scored more than 100 five times this year and, apart from the loss to the Cats they were against the Tigers, Gold Coast, Port and Brisbane. Like us, they have mainly just got across the line winning by 20 points or less over the Tigers, Adelaide and Saints, Bombers draw, and Sydney (equal to 3/4 time then they pulled away). True they have impressive wins in the past three weeks but these were against three spectacular failures of the year - Lions, Port and the Dees.

hot potato
18th June 2011, 04:31 PM
Ta for that insight, makes makes me feel much better.... Swans by 5 points then...

HP

ShockOfHair
18th June 2011, 06:10 PM
Maybe LRT will rotate in with the backline leaving the ruckwork to Mummy and Seabs. Its hard to see the value of him as a sub unless its insurance for Mummy.

I suspect there's a plan to play him deep in our forward line, but he could go into the backline if Reg and Ted struggle, or into the ruck if needed there. He's become a real spare parts player.

Too Tall? The glass can be half full or half empty. Lets think positively about our height advantage because it is an advantage if we play to it. It requires the team to kick higher because we should win a one on one marking contest with our talls. If we kick too low and slow we will get slaughtered. So it gets down to adjusting and following team plans to use our height to trounce Carlton in the air.If we can do this we will win.

Sure, tall ain't necessarily a bad thing. But we'll need our mids to prevail.

I reckon we can win this game if we bring enough mongrel. Our best defensive game can grind the Blues down.

dimelb
18th June 2011, 06:13 PM
I suspect there's a plan to play him deep in our forward line, but he could go into the backline if Reg and Ted struggle, or into the ruck if needed there. He's become a real spare parts player.

Sure, tall ain't necessarily a bad thing. But we'll need our mids to prevail.
I reckon we can win this game if we bring enough mongrel. Our best defensive game can grind the Blues down.
I agree, and we need to attack when we do have the ball, think attack not think defend.

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 07:51 PM
Continuum - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116455/default.aspx)

interesting !

Yuri H
19th June 2011, 10:23 AM

Ah. I feel better then.

ceases sulking, unrumples shirt, heads to kitchen for glass of water