PDA

View Full Version : Rnd 14 v Pies. Wouldn't it be funny if ...

ScottH
13th June 2011, 06:13 PM
Swan, Jolly and Co, were still stuck in the states due to the Volcanic Ash!!

Cpt. Kirk
13th June 2011, 06:19 PM

That would be awesome, not gonna lie.

goswannie14
13th June 2011, 10:05 PM
Swan, Jolly and Co, were still stuck in the states due to the Volcanic Ash!!That would be so cool.

Cheer Squad
13th June 2011, 10:07 PM

It won't be so funny if we get stuck in Melbourne next Sunday.

wolftone57
13th June 2011, 10:23 PM
From todays game I don't think the Pies missed them too much. How did they end up with all those top draft picks? I must say Melbourne were appaling but the umpies gave the Pies a free ride. That could be a problem when we play them, you simply can't touch em & they don't get frees against them that they should. Maybe it would be better if they did come back they might be a bit jaded

Bas
13th June 2011, 10:30 PM

And they still win by 10 goals

ShockOfHair
13th June 2011, 10:46 PM
It won't be so funny if we get stuck in Melbourne next Sunday.

Even less funny if our guys have to bus it down the Hume to get there.

Melbourne_Blood
13th June 2011, 10:49 PM
Only thing in our favour when we play them, is that we normally come off the bye against them and this time it will be reversed. Whether that helps us or not remains to be seen.

royboy42
14th June 2011, 12:52 AM
Only thing in our favour when we play them, is that we normally come off the bye against them and this time it will be reversed. Whether that helps us or not remains to be seen.

Isn't it that we always came off a split round?? And both of us had the previous week off?

Nich
14th June 2011, 09:13 AM
I am so damn freaking over this fixture. Freezing cold Homebush nights, feral Pies supporters singing their team song. Pies were good yesterday but the Dees were terrible. I'm more confident of any previous year and I hope the bye, the easy win and their returning players leave them a half-step short. The thing is, unlike the Pies most of the time, we can't afford to have passengers. Everyone has to play the role. A few people aren't doing that at the moment....cough, cough...macca...cough, cough. One in all in. Time to shut these smug clowns up and send them home the right way!!!! They are starting to count this as a home game!!!! I'm SICK OF IT!!!!!!! And what's with the TV Commercial. It makes Scott Pendlebury sound like the star of the night?!?!?

TIME TO END THE DOMINATION!!!

top40
14th June 2011, 09:41 AM
Every year at this time (since 2006) I get seduced into thinking that the Swans can beat the Pies at ANZ. Not this year. I'm bringing book to the game, and will start reading 5 minutes into the game when that annoying Daisy gets his first goal

DLBIA14
14th June 2011, 10:32 AM
Every year at this time (since 2006) I get seduced into thinking that the Swans can beat the Pies at ANZ. Not this year. I'm bringing book to the game, and will start reading 5 minutes into the game when that annoying Daisy gets his first goal

Haha, so true. I always go to this game because I want to be around when we get that elusive win, but @@@@ me, that game usually goes to script. I spend three quarters wondering what I'm doing here. While Alan Didak is tearing us apart, me to myself: 'stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid'.

I've resigned myself to not winning this game. We've got no chance if we can't beat Carltank, but even if we do I can't see how it is possible. They're going to have massive ins, will all be fresh and raring to go and we are most likely going to get smashed into oblivion. :(

Nich
14th June 2011, 11:12 AM
The script usually reads - "Swans off to a slow start. Goodes with a couple of behinds. Pies leading by 6 goals at the end of the first. Pies maintain a 6 goal lead until half-way through the final quarter when we boot a couple in a row to give us all some hope. Pies kick another and shatter our dreams again".

aardvark
14th June 2011, 11:14 AM
I've resigned myself to not winning this game. We've got no chance if we can't beat Carltank, but even if we do I can't see how it is possible. They're going to have massive ins, will all be fresh and raring to go and we are most likely going to get smashed into oblivion. :(

Maybe we should take the week off and fly to Arizona instead. Let the ressies play the Maggots, they need some competition.:)

nomae
14th June 2011, 11:26 AM
I just want to beat them so much.

Provost
14th June 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm going out on a limb on this one and putting $50 on the Swans, the odds should be sooo good :)
Hardly ever punt on the games in the H&A season except this one as a tradition of mine.... Not confident of a win but in the off chance we do get up it will make that victory that much sweeter lol.

swanspant12
14th June 2011, 01:06 PM
WE NEVER BLOODY WIN THIS MATCH! omg i hate this game why cant we just play at scg were we might stand a chance. not even going to bother watching this

Primmy
14th June 2011, 01:25 PM
One day we will win this match. It will come. You just gotta have faith....

BSA5
14th June 2011, 03:24 PM
Seriously, seriously hoping this happens. Would be a pisser.

On a side note, anybody think that this year might be the year? Our game-style has changed, we're much more direct, and direct play, if done right, can penetrate the forward press. If we can get on top in the clearances, and go long and direct over the Collingwood defence.....

msb
14th June 2011, 03:25 PM
WE NEVER BLOODY WIN THIS MATCH! omg i hate this game why cant we just play at scg were we might stand a chance. not even going to bother watching this

Im pretty much the same, although the last couple of years ive done the four goal limit then turn off, where when collingwood gets to 4 goals up I no longer watch the game, just cant stand losing to them!

Dosser
14th June 2011, 04:05 PM
But apart from all this, do you think we have a chance? :p

Bas
14th June 2011, 04:58 PM
Isn't it that we always came off a split round?? And both of us had the previous week off?

Yes, so the bye to Collingwood will make no difference. It may help the SWans to be a bit more focused.

I missed the game in 2005 against the Pies because of serious illness and we won. Having attended all the games between the Swans and Pies (including those in Melb) since, I have made a deliberate decision to let my newly converted neice take some friends to the game.

In that way, the Swans may get some more fans and I'll be snuggly tucked up in front of the telly. It's not that I think they'll get flogged AGAIN or anything like that.

We have about as much chance in winning against the Pies as a dentist has in making money from the Collingwood cheer squad.

Cheer Squad
14th June 2011, 06:06 PM

Not sure why you think the SCG would afford us any particular advantage against Collingwood. It certainly didn't against Geelong, Carlton and especially Hawthorn.

Nonetheless, our record against Collingwood at ANZ makes for grim reading.

In eight games there, we've led at quarter time once, half time once, three-quarter time twice, and full time, twice. Those two games we led at three quarter time were the games we won.

Overall, out of a total of thirty-two quarters played at Homebush, we've won eleven - one first quarter :mad:, one second quarter :mad:, four third quarters, and surprisingly, five fourth quarters :confused:. And we've been held goal-less in two second quarters :mad:, and one fourth quarter :mad:.

These statistics are also reflected at Etihad and the MCG when we've played Collingwood there recently - we win a couple of final quarters, and go nowhere near them for the rest of the match.

The evidence suggests we've been getting off to very slow starts against Collingwood, because they're either applying superior pressure, or they've got us psyched out before we run onto the field. Probably a combination of both.

Big Al
14th June 2011, 06:35 PM
Be even funnier if this ash cloud stopped the Pies getting to ANZ all together and we take the field by ourselves. Needing just a point to win, Goodes sprays the kick out of bounds on the full and with no one to kick it in, the match is declared a draw.

GoSouth33
14th June 2011, 06:39 PM
While it might be OK for us supporters to think we're going to lose this game I really hope the players aren't thinking the same way. Every game is winnable as it is loseable. They have had the wood on us for quite a while and the tables will turn sooner or later....

laughingnome
14th June 2011, 06:55 PM
GoSouth keeps the flame of Good Hope burning, and I'll stand with him :)

Someday guys, someday...

Peace
14th June 2011, 06:56 PM
Jude will tackle us to victory!!!!

Big Al
14th June 2011, 07:06 PM
While it might be OK for us supporters to think we're going to lose this game I really hope the players aren't thinking the same way. Every game is winnable as it is loseable. They have had the wood on us for quite a while and the tables will turn sooner or later....

I hope the players are thinking that we'll beat them at least twice this year.

ScottH
14th June 2011, 08:24 PM
Jude will tackle us to victory!!!!

Jude v Ball = World Record Tackle Count.

Dosser
15th June 2011, 09:47 AM
Be even funnier if this ash cloud stopped the Pies getting to ANZ all together and we take the field by ourselves. Needing just a point to win, Goodes sprays the kick out of bounds on the full and with no one to kick it in, the match is declared a draw.

I read about something similar to this in the paper a number of years ago. Apparently, it was a bush league and one of the teams was taking too long to come out after half time so the umpire bounced the ball. Problem was, there was a centre square infringement so they all had to wait for the other team to come out and take the free kick.

Jeffers1984
15th June 2011, 10:02 AM
We should play this to the boys before the game. (Clip from Little Giants).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khauvdb_f8A

swansrob
15th June 2011, 01:17 PM
It's different I know, but we bought it to the Pies in the NAB Cup. I'm keeping the faith.

johnno
15th June 2011, 01:39 PM
Well I'll be at a Collingwood supporting friend's house on that night, with 2-3 other Collingwood supporting friends watching the game on TV......good times.

Somebody who has contacts to the swans inner sanctum please pass the following information that I am about to type in to the boys please......

I have it on good authority, that in the post-season magazine that the Collingwood football club sends out to its members every year, in the section of the magazine where they do a game by game review of the season that just finished, the sub heading for our(Swans) game against the pies reads as follows......

'OUR ANNUAL 4 PREMIERSHIP POINTS GAME' or words similar to that.....very very cocky.

Can someone get Longmire to show/tell this to the boys just prior to running out on the field that night.

Anything to fire the boys up for that game!!!!

Triple B
15th June 2011, 01:43 PM
'OUR ANNUAL 4 PREMIERSHIP POINTS GAME' or words similar to that.....very very cocky.

Can someone get Longmire to show/tell this to the boys just prior to running out on the field that night.

Why remind them, we're trying to forget it.....

Go Swannies
15th June 2011, 02:05 PM
Of course, the curse of the bye will be set in stone if we beat the Pies this time around.

Jewels
15th June 2011, 02:07 PM

Had the joy of sitting with the delightful Joshua P Kennedy at the trivia night last night and he tut tutted me for not having faith in the boys and told me that as far as they were concerned, they were a damn good chance of winning.

Now if only I could believe...........

top40
15th June 2011, 02:10 PM
GoSouth keeps the flame of Good Hope burning, and I'll stand with him :)

Someday guys, someday...

I agree completely! The season will be 2077, 72 years after the Swans last win.

On a more serious note, although Horse is yet to reach the greatness of Roosy as a coach, it will be interesting to see if he is an improvement on a coaching match up with Mick Malthouse. With the exception of the Swans Round 6 2003 victory, I always believed that Malhouse had a much greater coaching edge on Paul Roos, even taking into account Sydney's narrow wins in 2004 and 2005 when Collingwood were close to the bottom of the ladder and the Swans were one of the best teams in the competition, (particularly the latter year)

Big Al
15th June 2011, 02:21 PM
Had the joy of sitting with the delightful Joshua P Kennedy

Wardy absolutely hates you right now... :)

Kirkari
15th June 2011, 04:43 PM
Wow! Distinct lack of Bloods Spirit in some of these posts. Wowsers! How about some of Captain Kirk's famous commitment and determination. I'd rather be excited for the next week and a bit. As someone said, we have to play them sometime - why not now when we're struggling to decide who to leave out and they're coming off a bye and an experimental trip to the States? I'll be there with blankets for the cold, beer for the spirit, and maybe some throat lozenges to make sure I can out-shout any Pies in the vicinity. Swans by 19. Benny McGlynn, Sammy Reid and Hanners to have a day out. Daisy to have some serious chewy on his boot. Bring it on!!!

top40
15th June 2011, 05:03 PM
Wow! Distinct lack of Bloods Spirit in some of these posts. Wowsers! How about some of Captain Kirk's famous commitment and determination. I'd rather be excited for the next week and a bit. As someone said, we have to play them sometime - why not now when we're struggling to decide who to leave out and they're coming off a bye and an experimental trip to the States? I'll be there with blankets for the cold, beer for the spirit, and maybe some throat lozenges to make sure I can out-shout any Pies in the vicinity. Swans by 19. Benny McGlynn, Sammy Reid and Hanners to have a day out. Daisy to have some serious chewy on his boot. Bring it on!!!

As fans we have no control over the game, we can afford to realistically pessimistic. For the players and coaching staff, it is a completely different mindset. Of couse they should be optimistic, committed and determined.

Cheer Squad
15th June 2011, 05:15 PM
It's different I know, but we bought it to the Pies in the NAB Cup. I'm keeping the faith.

It's not that different at all. We won the second and third quarters, but once again, the slow start ended up killing us. It's the same story all the time, wherever we play them, NAB Cup or season proper. We get done in the first quarter, and can't recover. We haven't won a first quarter against them since 2004. It's ridiculous.

top40
15th June 2011, 05:49 PM
Not sure why you think the SCG would afford us any particular advantage against Collingwood. It certainly didn't against Geelong, Carlton and especially Hawthorn.

Nonetheless, our record against Collingwood at ANZ makes for grim reading.

In eight games there, we've led at quarter time once, half time once, three-quarter time twice, and full time, twice. Those two games we led at three quarter time were the games we won.

Overall, out of a total of thirty-two quarters played at Homebush, we've won eleven - one first quarter :mad:, one second quarter :mad:, four third quarters, and surprisingly, five fourth quarters :confused:. And we've been held goal-less in two second quarters :mad:, and one fourth quarter :mad:.

These statistics are also reflected at Etihad and the MCG when we've played Collingwood there recently - we win a couple of final quarters, and go nowhere near them for the rest of the match.

The evidence suggests we've been getting off to very slow starts against Collingwood, because they're either applying superior pressure, or they've got us psyched out before we run onto the field. Probably a combination of both.

Great stats work Cheer Squad. (Although, not your fault, but it is depressing reading).

Dating back to the first ANZ game in 2003, the Swans have led at half time just once in the past 12 games, being in 2005 where their lead was just 5 points. And the only time in 12 games that the Swans led at quarter time was in 2004, where the lead was 7 points.

Wardy
15th June 2011, 07:42 PM
Wardy absolutely hates you right now... :)

no I dont, not really, well maybe a little bit, damn it !!;):D

Wardy
15th June 2011, 07:48 PM

So add to the Arizona Pies, Jolly Swan and the others - lets hope that they are relocated to economy class, with a spewy kid next to each of them for the duration of the various flights, and its all stops from LA - so Hawaii - hell why not Auckland - stopover night for ash reasons, then Brisbane, stopover night for ash reasons, Sydney - have to change planes and get into a cessna at Bankstown airport head to Melbourne - Oh no FOG in Melbourne so diverted to Adelaide - stop over night at the Formula One (that should @@@@ them right up!) - and lets not forget the bad prawn sandwiches for all of our Collingwood friends!!! God I hate those fat headed tattooed turds (its harsh but fair) CMON SWANS LETS MATCH EM AND THEN BEAT THEM BY JUST ONE POINT !!!!

Xie Shan
15th June 2011, 11:08 PM
I'm not saying for a minute that we'll beat the Pies, but our NAB cup quarter final showed that we CAN take the game on against them and nearly sprung an upset. I just want to see us go in with that same attitude.

Wardy, I'd take a one point win - coincidentally our last win against them was by one point!!

Dosser
16th June 2011, 10:29 AM
I agree completely! The season will be 2077, 72 years after the Swans last win.

On a more serious note, although Horse is yet to reach the greatness of Roosy as a coach, it will be interesting to see if he is an improvement on a coaching match up with Mick Malthouse. With the exception of the Swans Round 6 2003 victory, I always believed that Malhouse had a much greater coaching edge on Paul Roos, even taking into account Sydney's narrow wins in 2004 and 2005 when Collingwood were close to the bottom of the ladder and the Swans were one of the best teams in the competition, (particularly the latter year)

Interesting point here as I remember Roos saying a couple of months ago that matchday tactics wasnt his strong point. Maybe he was being modest, but if Longmire proves to be a better tactician than Roos (jury is still out) and if we play like we did in parts of the NAB Cup (and if the planets all line up, etc) then dare I dream the dream?

Kirkari
16th June 2011, 01:30 PM
That's the spirit, Wardy!