PDA

View Full Version : VFL Round 12: GWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

ugg
17th June 2011, 05:47 PM
NEAFL Round 12
GWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves
Saturday 18th June 2011 2.00pm
Blacktown Olympic Park

The Ressies will make the journey west to defend their impressive unbeaten run against the Giants, who will see this as their best opportunity to claim a victory over their future cross-town rivals. A measly 0.90 of a percentage point has robbed this clash of "Top of the Table" status!

Given the Swans are the away team, will we see the 'clash' white strip in action on Saturday?

Eastern Conference Ladder
Team|Played|Wins|Losses|Draws|Byes|%Won|For|Agains t|Percentage
Reserves|8|8|0|0|1|100.00%|881|353|249.58%
Ainslie|7|5|2|0|2|71.43%|700|555|126.13%
GWS|7|5|2|0|2|71.43%|675|539|125.23%
Queanbeyan|8|3|5|0|1|37.50%|744|812|91.63%
{colsp=10}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuggeranong|8|3|5|0|1|37.50%|656|847|77.45%
Eastlake|8|2|6|0|1|25.00%|624|760|82.11%
Belconnen|8|2|6|0|1|12.50%|520|918|56.64%

Past Meetings
Pre-Season Reserves 23.16 (154) defeated GWS 8.10 (58) @ ANZ Stadium

After a lethargic and mistake-riddled start, the Reserves began to use their bigger bodies and greater experience to beat the Giants into submission. Jed Lamb starred as a medium forward, displaying adroitness when the ball hit the ground as well as accurate finishing with his set shots. Mike Pyke impressed in the ruck and when he rested forward booted 3 goals from difficult angles.

Goals: Lamb 6, Pyke 3, Haren 3, Gordon 2, Currie 2, Murphy, Kruger, Seaby, Brain, Robinson, McKaigue, Sumner
Best: N/A

R6 GWS 3.9 (27) defeated by Reserves 12.15 (87) @ Manuka Oval

GWS were much improved from their previous showing against the Reserves, and managed to keep the contest low-scoring and tight right up till the end of the 3rd quarter. The Swans kicked away in the last quarter but onlookers left very impressed with the disciplined and well-drilled side that Sheedy and Choco have managed to build up. Luke Parker was immense in the midfield and up forward, earning a debut in the next week based on this performance. Lewis Johnston and Chris McKaigue were lauded for their defensive work, especially their spoiling down back.

Goals: White 3, Haren 2, E.Moody 2, Dennis-Lane 2, Parker, Bevan, McNeil
Best: Parker, Johnston, McKaigue, Thompson, Roberts-Thomson, McNeil

Recent Form
Reserves
R1 BYE
R2 WIN Away Eastlake 83-33
R3 WIN Home Belconnen 138-29
R4 BYE
R5 WIN Home Tuggeranong 123-12
R6 WIN Away GWS 87-27
R7 WIN Home Gold Coast Reserves 120-28
R8 BYE
R9 WIN Away Ainslie 124-74
R10 WIN Away Brisbane Reserves 104-97
R11 WIN Home Queanbeyan 102-53

GWS
R1 BYE
R2 WIN Away Ainslie 109-68
R3 WIN Home Tuggeranong 101-71
R4 BYE
R5 LOSS Away Northern Bullants 34-123 (FOXTEL CUP)
R6 LOSS Home Sydney Swans Reserves 27-87
R7 LOSS Away Brisbane Lions Reserves 86-101
R8 WIN Home Queanbeyan 129-88
R9 WIN Away Eastlake 112-50
R10 WIN Home Gold Coast Suns Reserves 111-74
R11 BYE

Last Round
Reserves 15.12 (102) defeated Queanbeyan 7.11 (53)
In wet conditions, the Reserves struggled with their ball use early on and a few mistakes gifted the Tigers the first quarter lead. A re-adjustment after the break saw the team play more direct football and finally translate their dominance of possession and territory into a comfortable lead, and subsequently easy victory. Paul Bevan was impressive in a half-forward role, taking marks and dishing off assists to his fellow forwards. Daniel Currie shouldered the ruck load for most of the day and was a standout with his contested marking.

Goal Kickers: White 6, Moore 3, Heath 2, Bevan 2, Thompson, Gordon
Best Players: Bevan, McNeil, Currie, Heath, Murphy, Sumner

GWS had the bye in Round 11, so let's look at their R10 result.
GWS 17.9 (111) defeated Gold Coast Reserves 11.8 (74)
The Giants had too much firepower for the Suns Reserves, leading during all breaks and booting 17 goals through 13 different goalkickers. Jonathon Giles and Dylan Shiel led the way with plenty of centre clearances with forwards Simon Tunbridge and Jacob Townsend kicking 2 each from set shots. Stephen Clifton finished the day with a team-high 30 touches.

Goal Kickers: Tunbridge 2, Clifton 2, Townsend 2, Shiel 2, Casley, Cameron, Growden, Reid, Turner, Darley, Carey, Bruce, Folau
Best Players: Clifton, Giles, Bruce, Darley, Shiel, Wilson

Team List
Listed players
#|Name|Games|Goals|Votes|Notes
7|Brett MEREDITH|7|6|8|
8|Trent DENNIS-LANE|6|25|6|Senior emergency
10|Daniel CURRIE|8|4|12|
13|Andrejs EVERITT|1|0|0|
18|Jesse WHITE|5|13|4|
22|Byron SUMNER|6|2|19|
23|Lewis JOHNSTON|7|4|15|
26|Luke PARKER|6|4|8|
27|Matthew SPANGHER|3|0|0|
28|Dylan McNEIL|8|4|16|
33|Jarred MOORE|6|7|13|Senior emergency
35|Campbell HEATH|4|3|9|
36|Chris McKAIGUE|8|1|11|
43|Eugene KRUGER|8|2|4|
44|Max OTTEN|7|0|0|With new shaven head looks leaner and meaner.
45|Nathan GORDON|6|6|14|

Changes
In: Dennis-Lane (Senior demotion)
Out: Bevan (Travelling emergency)

One forward in, one forward out. Bevan provided a strong contested marking presence in the forward line, but TDL will more likely find his marks through his clever running and reading of the play.

Pyke looks to have failed his fitness test and hasn't been included for this game, leaving Currie to ruck again with White his backup. Everitt only played the first half last week (as a forward) and he'll need to get some serious game time under his belt to earn a recall to the seniors. Moore played predominantly forward last week but I suspect he may be recalled to a midfield role to counter the stronger on-ball division of the Giants. Johnston was stationed in the backline last week and may find himself on Izzy duty.

Still no Haren :confused:

With no limits on listed players (I think/hope), hopefully we get to see more of Kruger and Otten than last week.

Academy Players/Topups
#|Name|Games|Goals|Votes|Notes
48|Blake GUTHRIE|5|2|0|
49|Nathan KENNY|5|0|0|
50|James BRAIN|7|1|1|
51|Jack LYNCH|3|0|0
52|Mitch THOMPSON|7|1|5|
53|Kane MURPHY|6|8|9|
54|Tim WALES|5|0|0|

Changes
In: Brain, Lynch
Out: Stephen Wray

Lynch returns as the NSW/ACT U18 RAMS are not playing this week. Not sure why Jackson Potter and Eric Moody aren't playing if they aren't on RAMS duty either. Brain withdrew late last week with sickness.

Reserves leading goalkickers

Trent Dennis-Lane 25
Jesse White 13
Paul Bevan 9

For full list: 2011 Leading goalkickers - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=2011_Goalkickers)

Reserves leading votegetters

Byron Sumner 19
Paul Bevan 17
Dylan McNeil 16

For full list: 2011 Best votes - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=2011_Best_votes)

Talking points

TDL - Stiff to be dropped from the seniors, and the closed roof at the dome may have worked against him (or rather worked for the talls in Seaby and LRT). Conversely, the open spaces of ANZ will assist his chances of a recall but he must put in a strong performance here, especially on the defensive aspects of his game. Hampton has been a driving force from the Giants half-back line and these two may face off against each other.
Everitt - Played forward last week, and uncharacteristically missed 2 set shots on goal. He played further up the ground than White, leaving Jesse at full forward while Andrejs pushed up to the wing at times. Will he be on forward duty again this week or will a role behind the ball be more suitable?
Sumner - A possible run-with role beckons for Uncle Byron, with a brief to curb the influence of Clifton through the midfield. He performed a similar role on Amon Buchanan 2 weeks ago.
Heath - In contrast to a month ago where the Ressies were struggling for key defender numbers, there are plenty of other options in this squad for Playfair to contemplate: Johnston, Everitt, McKaigue, Lynch and even White. This could release Cambo to a more attacking role, on the wing or even in the forwards.

GWS squad (from)

2. Curtly HAMPTON
4. Israel FOLAU
6. Josh BRUCE
7. Kurt AYLETT
8. Jeremy CAMERON
10. Anthony MILES
11. Jack HOMBSCH
13. Gerald UGLE
14. Sam DARLEY
16. Nathan WILSON
19. Simon TUNBRIDGE
20. Alex CAREY
21. Joshua GROWDEN
22. Tim SEGRAVE
24. Stephen CLIFTON
25. Cameron GORDON
26. Jonathon GILES
29. Ben CASLEY
30. Damian WILLIAMS
31. Jacob TOWNSEND
32. Adam FLAGG
33. Stuart TURNER
34. Joe REDFERN
35. Ben REID
40. Jacob OLSSON
?. Karl MERSON

In: Miles, Ugle, Flagg, Redfern, Gordon, Merson
Out: Nick Collins, Sam Schulz, Dylan Shiel

GWS will sorely miss gun onballer Dylan Shiel who dominated the clearances in their win over the Suns Reserves.

Adam Flagg, who may face off against his RAMS teammate Jack Lynch, is their leading goalkicker with 9, followed closely by Israel Folau who has revelled in his shift forward and has 8 goals, all scored in the last 3 matches.

Other Giants who should be prominent on the day include captain and ruckman Jonathon Giles who will provide a stern test for the red-hot Currie, midfielder Stephen Clifton who won the VFL B&F Medal last year and midfielder Alex Carey. Fullback Jack Hombsch has acquitted himself well against some of the best forwards in the NEAFL this year.

Match Details
Gates open 11.45am
Match starts 2pm
What?s on?
? GIANTS v Swans Reserves match 2pm
? Junior GIANTS Game Day Clinic
? GIANT Fan Zone inc; GIANT inflatable AFL skills wall featuring kicking, handball game and high marking
? Meet GIANTS players and get an autograph
Tickets
Tickets available at the gate, adults: $5
GIANTS Foundation members get in FREE

Please note: Due to the inclement weather this week and trenching work that has been occurring at Blacktown Olympic Park with building the Giants training and administration centre, general parking for the NEAFL, the pre-match clinic and the local senior and junior matches this Saturday June 18 will not be available in the AFL/Cricket precinct car park.
Parking is available by entering at the main entry to Blacktown Olympic Park (at the traffic lights) off Eastern Road, Rooty Hill. Parking in this area of the venue will only add 5-10 minutes on your walk to the ground.
If you have a disability parking permit, parking will still be available in the AFL/Cricket precinct car park.

Greater Western Sydney Giants | GIANTS v Swans squad announcement (http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/giants-v-swans-squad-announcement.html)

Big Al
17th June 2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks Ugg... This will be my first trip out to BOP so I'm really looking forward to it.

BeeEmmAre
17th June 2011, 06:09 PM
Great stuff again Ugg. Here's a couple of add ons.

Myself and the rest of the Digital Sports Commentary Team that covers the Sydney AFL will be filming this match, with a one hour highlights package to be broadcast next Friday, June 24, at 6.30pm on Main Event Channel 518.

Due to the wet weather earlier in the week and resultant ground closures, football lovers will also have the choice of three Sydney AFL matches that will be played outside on Blacktown International Sports Park No.2 Oval.
Obviously those that clash with the Swans-Giants won't be drawing people away, but there is an early evening match if you haven't got your full footy fix from the NEAFL.

1.30pm Under 18 Challenge Cup - Manly-Warringah v Macquarie University Kookas
3.30pm Division Four - Manly-Warringah v Auburn Tigers
5.30pm Division Two - Nor-West Jets v Balmain Dockers

dimelb
17th June 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks ugg - great work again.
I hope TDL has a blinder.

ugg
17th June 2011, 06:54 PM
Big Al: We should meet up, don't think there's going to be too many Swans fans around.

BMR: Thanks for the heads-up. Those who have FOX and don't usually get to see the reserves should definitely check it out.

dimelb: as posted in the Carlton thread, TDL's been sick and hasn't trained all week. Not sure if playing him tomorrow will help although the forecast is for sunny weather tomorrow.

Big Al
17th June 2011, 07:01 PM
Big Al: We should meet up, don't think there's going to be too many Swans fans around.

BMR: Thanks for the heads-up. Those who have FOX and don't usually get to see the reserves should definitely check it out.

dimelb: as posted in the Carlton thread, TDL's been sick and hasn't trained all week. Not sure if playing him tomorrow will help although the forecast is for sunny weather tomorrow.

No worries mate, I'll see you there.

Untamed Snark
17th June 2011, 07:21 PM
Ugh, any idea if you can take dogs bop?

Bas
17th June 2011, 07:30 PM
Ugh, any idea if you can take dogs bop?

There's a line there about Rooty Hill RSL which I better not use.

I believe you can bring your own fold out chair though.

I'm hoping to make the trek as well. Give the Ugg boots and tracky pants an outing.

Untamed Snark
17th June 2011, 07:47 PM
There's a line there about Rooty Hill RSL which I better not use.

I believe you can bring your own fold out chair though.

I'm hoping to make the trek as well. Give the Ugg boots and tracky pants an outing.

Groan. Silly auto spell skipping words. Pretty certain I said mafia rather than media elsewhere. Guess the pup will have to wait to see the ressies

ScottH
17th June 2011, 08:47 PM
Should be an interesting game just to see how much they've improved.
Although the inclement weather may not give a true indication.

dimelb
17th June 2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks ugg - I hadn't seen that. In that case, I hope Jesse has a blinder.

Triple B
17th June 2011, 09:14 PM
I'll be there...

Triple B
17th June 2011, 09:15 PM
Should be an interesting game just to see how much they've improved.
Although the inclement weather may not give a true indication.

Pretty sunny this afternoon and it's been windy the past few days. I expect the ground will be in pretty good nick...

Big Al
17th June 2011, 09:24 PM
Pretty sunny this afternoon and it's been windy the past few days. I expect the ground will be in pretty good nick...

After last game I'm looking forward to watching the footy with the sun out for a change.

Triple B
17th June 2011, 09:53 PM
Don't forget your membership card Al, it gets us in for free...

desredandwhite
17th June 2011, 09:57 PM
Would love to have gone out there for a look, but I had plans already made. I will certainly be checking out the replay on 518 next week :)

5.30pm Division Two - Nor-West Jets v Balmain Dockers

Rhodesy, did the council decide Bensons was too wet? CARNAJETS

Big Al
17th June 2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks mate. Will do!

Lucky Knickers
17th June 2011, 11:13 PM
Is that your foundation? I will have to find where I hid mine...

rb4x
17th June 2011, 11:37 PM
Swans site says TDL is ill and only trained once this week hence his demotion. Where is Haren?

Primmy
18th June 2011, 08:38 AM
Haren is just a bit injured at present. Very young and body is not a Sam Reid body so will probably keep him on ice from some time. I like the kid. He can play.

ugg
18th June 2011, 01:39 PM
Live updates from 2pm at www.twitter.com/swansreserves

Just leaving for BOP now.

Big Al
18th June 2011, 01:48 PM
On a beautiful sunny day BOP looks an absolute treat so we should get a fast game. There are about 200 kids participating in a clinic at the moment. We should get a reasonable crowd for this game so there should be a good atmosphere.

Ugg (let me know where your going to be) will be doing the twitter thing but let me know if anyone wants scores updated here.

Al

ugg
18th June 2011, 01:57 PM
Are we allowed in the grandstand?

Big Al
18th June 2011, 01:58 PM
Are we allowed in the grandstand?

Yep, i'm sitting in there now.

Big Al
18th June 2011, 02:02 PM
Ugg,
Back Row Bay 6 atm.

Wardy
18th June 2011, 02:16 PM
Ugg,
Back Row Bay 6 atm.

nice day for it - keep warm and enjoy.

Big Al
18th June 2011, 02:17 PM
TDL is playing by the look of it.

Wardy
18th June 2011, 02:22 PM
TDL is playing by the look of it.

Keen to know how long he will be on for - perhaps he may become one of those impact kind of players where you rotate him on and off so as to preserve energy.(does that make sense?)

Big Al
18th June 2011, 02:28 PM
Keen to know how long he will be on for - perhaps he may become one of those impact kind of players where you rotate him on and off so as to preserve energy.(does that make sense?)

Sure does.

I'd forgotten how big Israel Folou is. A giant you might say. :)

Wardy
18th June 2011, 02:35 PM
Sure does.

I'd forgotten how big Israel Folou is. A giant you might say. :)

I still feel that he is more suited as a forward, he can take a grab and apprently isnt too shabby infront of goal. Hope he does well except against us of course.

Primmy
18th June 2011, 02:55 PM
Keep an eye on my project boy, 53. I wuv him.

ugg
18th June 2011, 03:27 PM
Having issues with twitter so I'll update here

Scrappy tight affair. Swans prob have had mote of the play

1.2 1.3

ugg
18th June 2011, 03:30 PM
Sumner went over the mark just as Growden kicked it. Fifty m pen and within range. Hits it well but wind takes it across and misses all!

ugg
18th June 2011, 03:32 PM
Everitt marks onhalf forward line. Centers it and Otten stays down and marks it as siren goes. He stutters in and converts 2.2 1.3

ugg
18th June 2011, 03:43 PM
Swans struggling to come out of defence as Giants pressure has been very good

2.2 1.4

Primmy
18th June 2011, 03:45 PM
I'll put a note on the twitter for you re issues. tell em to go to R&W

ugg
18th June 2011, 03:46 PM
Mez tackles Miles high. Very windy as he shoots and missed everything

ugg
18th June 2011, 03:49 PM
Parker wins a htb decision. Goes long wind holds it up and Dre marks. Quickly spots Otten free who marks low. 25m out and doesn't miss. 3.2 1.4

ScottH
18th June 2011, 03:52 PM
Having issues with twitter so I'll update here

Scrappy tight affair. Swans prob have had mote of the play

1.2 1.3
Good, I thought it was just me. FB as well was effected.

ugg
18th June 2011, 03:54 PM
Tdl sells a few dummies as he crumbs a loose ball and goals from point blank
4.2 1.4

ugg
18th June 2011, 03:57 PM
Quick exchange of hbs between Moore and TDL frees TDL for a snap but he misses

4.3 1.4

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:01 PM
Byron breaks out of a tackle at hb long to Cuz who can't hang on. White crumbs steadies and drills it 5.3 1.4

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:02 PM
Parker out of congestion to Otten strong mark. His shot falls short but Cuz marks strongly in front. Goals from 10. 6.3 1.4

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:06 PM
Spangher calm kick out of pressure to Lj. Chips to white who looks up and sees Everitt unmarked. He chips to cuz in the goal square. Great goal! 7.3 1.4

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:07 PM
Down on the grandstand wing. Nipper over the top to Otten who goes long to cuz. Great hands. Starts it right and swigs it home. Intelligent shot 8.3 1.4

Primmy
18th June 2011, 04:09 PM
you are a class act ugg.

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:11 PM
Half time Swans 8.3 51 Giants 1.4 10. Swans goals: Currie 3 Otten 2 Dennis-Lane White Gordon. Giants goals: Flagg

liz
18th June 2011, 04:18 PM
Swans seem to be getting the hang of the very tricky conditions. Jesse's around the ground work good in that quarter and Currie was excellent everywhere but especially in forward line.

dimelb
18th June 2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks people, esp ugg. Great work.

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:52 PM
Kruger up and under kick into forward fifty. Tdl stands under it and hangs on. Uncharacteristic miss! 10.7 1.6

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:53 PM
Mez running around the right pocket boundary sizzles a pass just over a Giant and Ito the hands of Cuz. doesn't miss 5m out. 11.7 1.6

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:54 PM
Dre chest marks after dropping the last two. Kicks on fifty and slots it!

12.7 1.7

ugg
18th June 2011, 04:56 PM
Great tackling pressure causes a spill. White sharks it handballs to a running McNeil who runs to 45 and goals!

13.7 1.7

ugg
18th June 2011, 05:01 PM
3Q time Swans 13.7 85 Giants 1.8 14. Swans goals: Currie 4 Gordon 3 Otten 2 Dennis-Lane McNeil Everitt White Gws goals: Flagg

ShockOfHair
18th June 2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks Ugg - great stuff.

Cuz finding some form --- you wonder what might have been if this were five weeks ago with Pike, Seaby, LRT all injured.

Another GWS drubbing. They're going to have to find some good senior players in the summer.

Primmy
18th June 2011, 05:39 PM
Glad to see Cuz finding form today, because this is now becoming a consistent statement. And that is a major step forward. Good on you kiddo, I doubted you but it appears I was wrong. Whodathortit! Me being wrong I mean.

I am also noting that the Ressies are finding a bit of mongrel and not taking their foot off the pedal. It will be interesting to hear what the attendees have to say about the 4th quarter. Looks like Henry might make a good coach!

ugg
18th June 2011, 05:51 PM
Tdl goals on siren 17.13 115 3.11 29

ugg
18th June 2011, 05:53 PM
FT Swans 17.13 115 Giants 3.11 29 Swans goals Currie 4 Gordon 3 Otten TDL Everitt White 2 McNeil Meredith. Giants goals Cameron 2 Flagg

ScottH
18th June 2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks For the updates Mate!!

dimelb
18th June 2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks again ugg - well done!

Untamed Snark
18th June 2011, 06:25 PM
Thank you Ugg, as always a great job

Gezball
18th June 2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks Ugg

Ugg, what's your take on Folau having seen him play? Or did he not get any opportunities being a forward?

Triple B
18th June 2011, 06:34 PM
Izzy was very very understated today. Very few possessions, a nice tackle on LJ won him a free kick but apart from that, never looked likely which is a bit of a shame...

Triple B
18th June 2011, 06:37 PM
I'll leave the wrap-up to the professional hands of the ugg-meister, but it was a pretty fair effort from the lads today.

My BOG was Byron.

ugg
18th June 2011, 07:00 PM
I think it was incredibly hard for forwards, on both sides, today due to the wind blowing down the ground (right to left if you were looking from the grandstand like we were). And when the swans started breaking through the Giants' press and converted on the scoreboard it was doubly difficult for Izzy and his fellow forward cohorts

As Triple B already mentioned, wrapped up LJ in a great tackle. Icthink if LJ had realised who he was trying to take on he might have thought twice about doing so. The only other 'memorable' passage of play was he finally found space and the ball running into the forward fifty, steadied for a shot but was way way too slow and a Swan (McNeil?) ran him down from behind

Also at the end of the game the announcer said the ressies Qbn game next week was being shifted from Anz to Blacktown 11.30am. Mmm not happy about that

ugg
18th June 2011, 07:30 PM
My BOG was Byron.
There was no one standout today but Uncle would be one who would have claims to that title. Most of the mids did well with the exception of Meredith who was atrocious in the first half but was much improved in the second. Parker got a ton of it, Really concentrated on McNeil today and i appreciate more the work he does and Nipper was energetic on the wing and half forward. Currie's contested marks and goals support his claim along with his ruckwork while Jesse was reasonably effective both forward and in the ruck

Big Al
18th June 2011, 08:02 PM
I'll leave the wrap-up to the professional hands of the ugg-meister, but it was a pretty fair effort from the lads today.

My BOG was Byron.

How I saw it too. Not too many bad players today and we had too much class for a GWS side that tried hard but lacks size and polish.

Up in the RWO stand we were sheltered from the wind but it was certainly a factor with the kicking out there. However the sublime kicking from LJ was a pleasure to watch in the conditions.

Also for Primmy, Kane Murphy had some nice touches our there.

All in all a pretty good effort from the boys.

ugg
18th June 2011, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately the coaches don't seem to be in agreement with the RWO cognoscenti. No Uncle.

GWS Giants

Goal Kickers: J. Cameron 2, A. Flagg
Best Players: A. Miles, J. Townsend, K. Aylett, J. GROWDEN
Sydney Swans

Goal Kickers: D. CURRIE 4, N. GORDON 3, J. WHITE 2, T. DENNIS-LANE 2, M. OTTEN 2, A. EVERITT 2, D. MCNEIL , B. MEREDITH
Best Players: L. PARKER, C. HEATH, B. MEREDITH, J. WHITE, N. GORDON, D. CURRIE

I forgot to mention Otten in my previous post, easily his best game for the Swans so far.

Untamed Snark
18th June 2011, 08:10 PM
Also at the end of the game the announcer said the ressies Qbn game next week was being shifted from Anz to Blacktown 11.30am. Mmm not happy about that

Any reason given?
I was really looking forward to getting to ressies next week

Big Al
18th June 2011, 08:11 PM
Otten was excellent.

For the coaches not to include uncle has to be misprint surely. Meredith was okay in the 2nd half but looked lazy to me in the 1st. To be named in front of Byron is strange. However I guess the coaches analyse the performances with a different criteria to us.

Primmy
18th June 2011, 08:47 PM

You must be wrong about that ugg.....surely not. I mean, .... heartbreaking....

bondy
18th June 2011, 09:12 PM
It was a lovely afternoon of footy. The first reserves game I have intentionally gone to.

Thanks for the OP Ugg, it filled in a lot of info i didn't know about whilst watching the game!

A player that stood out was Otten - looked great, stuck a couple of handy marks, looked assured.

I thought the game would be closer, particularly after a tight first quarter. The Giants defence did not hold up and look as well organised as ours, and the Swans took advantage by posting some relatively easy goals. Had GWS mastered the strong wind while kicking it could have been closer, though our win was never in doubt.

I liked White's and Currie's hands in front of goal.

Also, the ground is great for a suburban AFL contest. Overall a great day.

Bas
18th June 2011, 09:49 PM
I did observe Ugg sitting with three very handsome GWS Foundation Members today.

I think the most memorable part of today was watching the "Spangher Strut"

GWS forgot to teach Izzy what to do when he had a 50 metre penalty awarded in his favour. The Umpire took off and Izzy was about to take the kick before a team mate pointed for him to run downfield and take it..

Big Al
18th June 2011, 10:17 PM
I did observe Ugg sitting with three very handsome GWS Foundation Members today.

How did that happen?? I didn't see Ugg move from where we were. ;)

Triple B
18th June 2011, 11:09 PM

Given that 'Uncle' Byron failed to make the bests, it appears that Bas was obviously charged with the job of compiling the best players for the day.

His eyesight is way out....

Bas
18th June 2011, 11:12 PM
Given that 'Uncle' Byron failed to make the bests, it appears that Bas was obviously charged with the job of compiling the best players for the day.

His eyesight is way out....

Worked well for the ripped jeans though !!!!! :D

liz
18th June 2011, 11:24 PM
I agree with others' observations that it was a very even performance, with few absolute standouts. Henry has them very well drilled and in pretty much every game this year, their effort right until the end of the game has been excellent.

I thought Currie was super impressive down forward. He seems to have regain his great marking skills, which last season appeared to have deserted him somewhat. But his all around game is pretty sound too.

I also quite liked Jesse's game today. He was far from dominant in the forward 50 but it looks as if he has decided that if he's to make it back into the senior team, he has to learn how to contribute as a part-time ruckman, rather than see those minutes as an inconvenience. His bodywork at ruck contests was good and he contributed all around the ground, not just in the forward 50.

And I have to give credit to Max Otten, who I admit I was a bit of a critic of in his early games. Amazing what a haircut can do! He faded in the second half, but in the first half he was a very effective medium sized marking forward, and his goal conversion was impressive in such difficult conditions.

Of the top-ups, I thought Mitch Thompson was the standout. He looked very comfortable in traffic, moved well and showed neat skills.

I would love to know the comparative interchange stats of the two teams. I was sitting right behind the interchange area, and the Giants seemed to have a constant parade of 4 players waiting to come on. If they had focussed less energy on constant rotations, they might have stayed in the actual game a bit longer. In contrast, most of the senior Swans were on the ground for close to the whole game. The midfielders had a few short breaks but I doubt whether anyone over 188cm had a break all game.

Kirkari
18th June 2011, 11:25 PM
... I think the most memorable part of today was watching the "Spangher Strut" ...

Ha ha - that was noted from where I was sitting too! It's quite the walk, isn't it?

There was no one standout today but Uncle would be one who would have claims to that title. Most of the mids did well with the exception of Meredith who was atrocious in the first half but was much improved in the second. Parker got a ton of it, Really concentrated on McNeil today and i appreciate more the work he does and Nipper was energetic on the wing and half forward. Currie's contested marks and goals support his claim along with his ruckwork while Jesse was reasonably effective both forward and in the ruck

Agree, especially re Meredith's turnaround in the second half. Much better effort! Dan Currie was vastly improved from when I last watched about a month ago. Dylan McNeill is getting to be a quick thinking little player.

I think you're onto something Primmy - I think Henry might be a very good coach.

On another note - not that it takes much, but we look set to continue confusing the commentary teams. Parker is a powerful unit who looks a lot like Dan Hannebery and ROK. Dylan McNeil and Kane Murphy are almost identical (though Dyl has grown his hair back a bit at the moment).

And goddamn, it got cold out there by the end!!

ugg
18th June 2011, 11:38 PM
A lot of excellent players, particularly after the first quarter and the beginnings of the second which were a tough, congested and scrappy contest fought between the 2 50m arcs. The Swans had the lion's share of the clearances, possession and territory but were wasteful going forward. The Giants' defence held up well and rebounded the ball fluently but they also fell apart when trying to pierce the midfield.

The Swans began to use the ball better during the latter stages of the 2nd quarter, especially the use of the long kick to break the forward press of the Giants. The major beneficiaries of this tactical switch were the forwards who found themselves with ample space to lead into and convert. Once the margin had opened up to a comfortable 7 goals at half time, the tackling pressure of the Giants tuned down a notch or two and the superior physicality of the Swans began to shine through. The rest of the game was dominated by the Swans although the Giants did slaughter quite a few of the chances they had.

There were a lot of excellent players on show today - no one player stood out for the entire match but a few players had purple patches throughout the afternoon.

Byron Sumner, from what I could tell, was running with Stephen Clifton for the first half and some of the third quarter. He started to come into the game more in the 2nd quarter and left the grandstand gasping at times with some slippery moves and sleight of body tricks. One particular play stuck in my mind, he was tucked up tight against the left boundary line with two Giants bearing down on him. He sized up the situation beautifully, squeezing a short dart of a pass to Everitt on the lead. He went off after that, looked like cramp and when he came back he was freed of his defensive duties.

Luke Parker played predominantly in the midfield with short, sharp spells in the forward line. He won plenty of the ball but the element of his game that was most impressive was his ball usage under pressure and in heavy traffic. He also took some strong overhead grabs when playing forward and is also an effective tackler. He doesn't move particularly quick though, so an inside role is definitely the go for Parks.

Daniel Currie continued his good form with a solid ruck showing against the towering Jonathon Giles and was showed some forward smarts to end up with 4 goals. His around the ground work was also impressive, linking up well with the midfielders and using the ball just as well as them. The only criticism that was astutely noted by the RWO watchers is that he often needs a second grab when attempting to mark the ball.

I had my eyes trained closely on Dylan McNeil as I wanted to get a better idea of what unnoticed qualities he brings to the side. What you quickly realise about Dyl, is that besides his fearlessness in going for the loose ball and the bullocking work he does in and around the packs is that he is actually a very elusive player. Not in the same mould as Uncle Byron, who uses wearves, swirves, steps and ducks to avoid his opponents but McNeil has a clever knack of knowing when he is about to get caught, and ensures he disposes of the pill in time. He has supposedly been working on his spread, and today he ran particularly hard.

Nathan Gordon was very lively playing an outside midfield role and his superior running ability allowed him to work into spaces in the forward areas. Has a very good, strong pair of hands combined with a stretch that allows him to pull down some difficult marks. He was good value for his 3 goals.

Jesse White played reasonably well without convincing me that he's our long term solution at full forward - still gets caught trailing the defender too often. His efforts when the ball hits the deck and also around the ground on the other hand are as good as you'll find in a big man. What you can't fault about Jesse is he always plays with tremendous heart, and is very team-orientated. He got into some (harmless) argy-bargy today in trying to protect his smaller teammates and I have to say young Gerald Ugle is a very brave man!

Campbell Heath & Lewis Johnston were both excellent with the ball use coming out of defence. The ability to switch play with their long raking kicks across the ground is a big advantage for this side, and Johnston in particular can easily pinpoint targets 50m away in just a few steps. Defensively they were okay, I think Johnston played on Josh Bruce for most of the day with a few occasions finding himself on Folau while Heath took smaller opponents like Jeremy Cameron. Chris McKaigue performed his defensive duties well beside the aforementioned duo. He was desperately looking to get on a run and kick a goal in the last but just couldn't construct the right situation.

Andrejs Everitt played as a leading forward all game. He presented well with his mobility and ability to cover large swathes of the ground causing real issues for his opponents especially in the 2nd half. However he blotted his copybook on two areas - 1. He dropped more than a couple of easy, uncontested chest marks and 2. He missed some relaitvely easy set shots.

Max Otten followed up his promising second half display in the forwards last week with a solid performance again in the forwards today. He was influential early on taking marks inside 50 and booting 2 goals. Later on, he pushed further up the ground and assisted with good delivery into the forward 50 arc. Certainly at this stage, from the games we've seen, he seems more comfortable up forward than down back.

Jarred Moore had a few moments of brilliance intermixed with periods of inactivity. I can't really work out the exact role he played today, probably a little more midfield than forward but he was no where as dominant as he can be.

Matt Spangher was the lucky individual who drew the Izzy matchup and had his job helped by good Swans midfield pressure and some woeful Giants forward play.

Brett Meredith was ordinary in the first half, he failed to match the effort and the intensity that was on display by his other teammates. He picked up his workrate and effectiveness after the main break, and effected a few clearances. However it must be noted that the result of the game was beyond doubt at this time and it would be preferable if he could put up the same effort when the game was still a contest.

It just wasn't Trent Dennis-Lane'sday today.In addition to the swirling winds, he had some really close marking to deal with and couldn't find the space that he usually is so clever at discovering.He also butchered two easily chances, one a set shot from 30m out and one a quick snap after some quick handballs between Trent and Moore. Don't think he'll get a recall based purely on today's game.

Eugene Kruger is still going through a learning phase and playing him in defence is a great idea for his footy education. Besides that one early mark that he conceded (see goal descriptions below) he acquitted himself well defensively. With the ball in hand, his ball usage and decision making has to improve - in particular he should be encouraged to run with the ball more and use his athletic abilities to create attacking opportunities for the team.

The toppies didn't get as much game time as usual, mainly due to the lifting of the restricted number of listed players ruling. Mitch Thompson and Jack Lynch started the game while the other 5 warmed the bench, this perhaps is an indication of the pecking order of the topups. Thompson has been quietly impressing week in and week out and he had another laudable showing today. He is a neat user of the ball and has good all round skills. Lynch played as a rebounding defender, which I think is his best position. A Spangher clone right down to the strapping, Lynch made some telling passes out of defence. We didn't see as much of Kane Murphy as in previous games, he played mainly at half-forward and wing. Nathan Kenny had a few touches around half-back while Blake Guthrie saw some action at half-forward. I only saw a glimpse of James Brain late in the 4th quarter and I'm not even sure if poor Tim Wales even got onto the field.

Goals
1st quarter
Swans 0.0 GWS 1.0 - Giants win the opening clearance and push the ball forward. A hurried kick is marked by Adam Flagg who outbodied his opponent Kruger under the high ball. Converts from 15m out.
Swans 1.2 GWS 1.2 - Swans chip it around in defence. An opening finally emerges for Lynch as he bounds down the corridor and finds Nipper on the lead. Gordon kicks truly from 45m, not much angle.
Swans 2.2 GWS 1.3 - Everitt leads and marks on the 50m line, wide right. He swings the ball around and Otten cleverly, or perhaps fortuitously, stays down as the ball just clears his opponent playing in front and claims an easy chest mark. The siren goes as Max stutters in unconvincingly but drives it through.

2nd quarter
Swans 3.2 GWS 1.4 - Parker tackles well and holds the ball into the GWS player. He wins a HTB decision, and immediately kicks long to the true CHF position. The wind holds it up allowing Everitt to charge through and mark it. Turns around and drills a low pass to a diving Otten 25m out.
Swans 4.2 GWS 1.4 - Ball spills from a marking pack, TDL swoops onto it, feints once, dummies again and bangs it through the open goal.
Swans 5.3 GWS 1.4 - Sumner's determination sees him break a tackle on halfback, kicks it long to Currie who can't manage to hang onto it. Renowned crumber White picks it up, works out he has time to steady and kicks truly from 45m out.
Swans 6.3 GWS 1.4 - Parker has a quick clearing kick marked strongly by Otten. He has a shot from 50m, but it looks to be falling short. Currie stands under it, reaches up his long arms and holds onto the contested mark 10m out.
Swans 7.3 GWS 1.4 - Spangher has the ball deep in defence with seemingly no options and 2 Giants closing in. He manages to squeeze a pass out to Johnston, who calmly chips it to White just outside the defensive 50. He looks up to see a completely unmarked Everitt at half-forward. Spots him and with Currie's man peeling off the meet Everitt, Dre relays the pass to Currie for the easiest of goals
Swans 8.3 GWS 1.4 - Gordon running down the grandstand wing, draws a man and handballs over the top to Otten. He kicks long looking for Currie who rewards the kick by marking it 40m out. Having already seen a few shots by his teammates and GWS players swing right-to-left, he starts his shot aiming for the right behind area, before it swerves back late as expected and splits the middle. What intelligent thinking from the Crusher.

3rd quarter
Swans 9.4 GWS 1.5 - Sumner squeezes a tight pass to Everitt on the left 50m wing. He kicks to the fat side, allowing Gordon to run into space and mark it at a stretch.
Swans 10.5 GWS 1.6 - McNeil has a snap on his non-preferred left but it's falling short. Gordon's in the goal square and he climbs high to pluck the mark out of the air! Goal.
Swans 11.7 GWS 1.6 - Meredith, who has been quiet up until now, sprints around the right forward pocket and centers the ball. It just clears the despairing Giant leap and marked by Currie 10m out.
Swans 12.7 GWS 1.7 - Everitt on another searching lead, marks easily 50m out. Strolls back, lopes in and the goal umpire doesn't move.
Swans 13.7 GWS 1.7 - GWS get into a tangle in the middle of the ground, the ball spills out to White who gathers and handballs to a sprinting McNeil. He moves inside the 50m line and kicks a wonderful running goal.

4th quarter
Swans 13.8 GWS 2.8 - Jeremy Cameron manages to extract the ball out of a formed pack, and snaps around the corner.
Swans 14.8 GWS 2.9 - Gordon finds the leading Everitt again. He spots Meredith running on to the right forward pocket and chips it to him. Meredith runs in and without a hint of a LRT-esque disaster tumbles it end over end through the big sticks.
Swans 15.9 GWS 2.11 - Moore waddles through the centre square before aiming a kick for White. White waits down as his opponent flies too early, misjudges the flight and allows Jesse an uncontested mark 45m out.
Swans 15.12 GWS 3.11 - Cameron marks on the lead and converts from 40m.
Swans 16.13 GWS 3.11 - Everitt jumps early, protects his space and comes down easily with the mark. Laconic approach but serious result! Goal.
Swans 17.13 GWS 3.11 - TDL gets taken high. Siren sounds. Trent, approaches carefully with his steady run up, puts the icing on the cake.

Goals: Currie 4 Gordon 3 Dennis-Lane Everitt Otten White 2 McNeil Meredith
My Best: Sumner Parker Currie McNeil Gordon White

alison.z
18th June 2011, 11:47 PM
Fantastic report - everything you could possibly want to know ... Thanks so much for the awesome read!

ugg
19th June 2011, 01:10 AM
Trying to find out more on why the Ressies v Queanbeyan match is being moved from ANZ next week. My first thought was that perhaps the RAMS are playing an U18 game there but no they are scheduled for Aurora Stadium to play Tassie. I can only think that they are nervous about the surface holding up. There was a NRL match on Friday and another tomorrow.

alison.z
19th June 2011, 01:33 AM
I think it was mentioned that it was because of the other games on the surface - Origin on Wednesday + lead in game, NRL yesterday and tomorrow including Toyota Cup games I think and then changing it for the AFL. Apparently they are reducing the time the teams can train on the ground this week too as well as moving the reserves to ensure it's in good condition - especially after the Essendon game when Bolton lodged a complaint about the poor surface.

dimelb
19th June 2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, especially the amazing ugg: we don't get that much detail for the firsts! Very much appreciated by an interested ressie watcher who never gets to see them live.

Bas
19th June 2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, especially the amazing ugg: we don't get that much detail for the firsts! Very much appreciated by an interested ressie watcher who never gets to see them live.

And not to be distracted by the ripped jeans!!

Watching Ugg yesterday, there was minimal writing and he has the memory of a tram/bus conducter.

Triple B
19th June 2011, 10:29 AM
I thought Currie was super impressive down forward. He seems to have regain his great marking skills, which last season appeared to have deserted him somewhat.

He had a good day out yesterday for sure, but as noted in ugg-meisters report, he still double grabs just about everything. Clear contrast to say a Sam Reid, who just wraps the vice around the sherrin and it sticks.

Big Al
19th June 2011, 10:47 AM
And not to be distracted by the ripped jeans!!

Or the Powerade girl which distracted BBB and me for quite awhile.

Triple B
19th June 2011, 10:56 AM
Or the Powerade girl which distracted BBB and me for quite awhile.

My theory is that's what was behind the 'Spangher strut'. He was trying to keep her focussed on the job of dishing out the powerade and not on those 2 good looking guys in the stand....

Lucky Knickers
19th June 2011, 11:31 AM
Yesterdays game had me hoping we can keep Currie on the list. He was my BOG. Seemed to be in everything. Byron was excellent too. Copped a cork or something in the second half and looked sore but didn't hold him back. Love Nathan Gordon - what a fiesty young thing he is.
With a profile like a roman coin Spang was strutting the boundary like a young Travolta. Whether you're a mother or whether you're a brother you're staying inside the (interchange) line.
Had everyone a giggling!
Thumbs up to all the red and white people at the game.

Lucky Knickers
19th June 2011, 11:34 AM
Meant to ask the general consensus on Lewis J's game. Thoughts?

Triple B
19th June 2011, 11:40 AM
Meant to ask the general consensus on Lewis J's game. Thoughts?

When the whips were cracking early and the backline was under some pressure, he's footskills were sensational. He is just such a good kick it's scary.

I think he just struggles with knowing what to do when we take control, he just really seems to want to get into the action and gets torn between playing the rock role and trying to create. That's my take on why he has such extremes of performance within a game.

Primmy
19th June 2011, 12:18 PM
That's an interesting analysis B. I shall have a look at that specifically the next time I get to Watch a ressies game.....sometime, one day, who knows when.

BeeEmmAre
19th June 2011, 12:53 PM
Calling the match, I read it as a very scrappy start from both teams as all players struggled badly to come to terms with the strong breeze that was blowing across the ground into the scoreboard pocket, with the first half being played almost exclusively on the outer side of the ground with countless boundary throw-ins and out on the fulls.
Every now and again, the Swans showed the gulf of experience and class (I think I counted 214 AFL games worth) with fast breaks down the middle of ground, and when they finally came to terms with the wind, the floodgates opened, with five of the six second quarter goals coming in the last 10 minutes.
The Giants missed some opportunities through the middle two quarters, but realistically, most of them were tough shots under constant pressure and they never really looked like scoring a goal from Flagg's contested mark in the opening minute to Cameron's snap from a pack four minutes into the last quarter.
Our experts' judgements of Folau were correct, and I can only recall three kicks for the day, while Clifton, who was their best player against the Suns too weeks ago, was virtually unsighted as Sumner and McNeil, among others, hunted him intently and wrapped him up as soon as he laid hands on the ball.
By contrast, there were plenty of good players all over the ground for Sydney.
Defence: Johnston was the pick of the defenders for me with plenty of strong marks and well directed penetrating kicks from the back half, while I was very impressed with my first look at McKaigue, who looked assured with and without the ball. As mentioned Lynch and Spangher also had their moments.
Midfield: Heath was the captain and lined up on the wing for most of the game, moving into defence to provide support for the back line whenever it was needed. He led from the front and showed no effects from his knee operation. There has been plenty of support for Sumner's game, and I agree with all of it. He was excellent all day on his wing, running hard, tackling hard, dodging, weaving, hitting targets by hand and foot. He has a future. He was in my best three, along with Currie, who was outstanding despite some obvious challenges that so far haven't been mentioned here and will be before I sign off. Gordon is the other one I really liked. Young Nipper was brilliant in my eyes and I can't recall any mistakes. He created drive from all part of the ground and some of his deliveries into the forward line were magnificent, while his finishing - three goals - can also not be faulted.
Forwards: White started slowly and got better as the match went on, but is not ready for a return, while TDL was well below his best, probably as a result of his illness during the week. I really like him as a player though and think he has a big future in the seniors. Apart from a couple of dropped marks and missed shots already documented that suggest he's just below the next level, Everitt was outstanding as a leading forward and probably ended up with a dozen marks in that fashion. He also had quite a few score assists and showed he learns from his mistakes - both his dropped chest marks were quickly followed by multiple successful grabs on the hands. Otten was another who really impressed me, especially in the first half when the match was on the line.

It's actually hard to restrict the number of best players I can name, because there were quite a few.

Finally, the little issue I mentioned when talking about Currie also applies to White to a lesser extent. It seems both our ruckmen are extremely undisciplined in ruck contests, as Giants' big man Jono Giles, who was probably their best player received by my count at least 15 free kicks from boundary line ruck infringements to none against him, and I can't recall the entire Swans' team earning that many. You can decide if I'm being sarcastic or not.

My best: Gordon, Sumner, Currie, Everitt, Johnston, Heath, McNeil, McKaigue, Otten.

Remember, this Friday, 6.30pm, Main Event Channel 518 for the replay before AFL Friday Night Footy.

liz
19th June 2011, 01:06 PM
I confess I didn't notice any double grabbing from Currie. Not disputing whether he did or not, it just didn't stand out to me.

My favorite moment involving LJ came in the fourth quarter when Currie was lining up for a shot on goal, close to the boundary line. LJ had meandered down the ground and was nonchalantly lurking just outside the 50, a few metres to Currie's left. Any Giants close by were oblivious to what was going to happen but it was pretty obvious what was coming. After a few seconds of both players pretending to ignore each other, the predictable handball shot out from Currie, Lewis took one step, and bang, launched the shot at goal. Only the swirly wind, which caught hold of the ball late, prevented the goal.

ugg
19th June 2011, 01:42 PM
Not sure if you're serious about the ruck free kicks BMR :o

Not that the umpires were much better in the rest of the match. Byron takes one step too many and goes over the mark after the GWS player has kicked it, 50m penalty. Later on, Mitch Thompson gets a blatant push in the back after he's marked it. It's so obviously a 50m penalty that Mitch gets up and starts jogging the 50m only to discover that he hasn't been paid one.

liz
19th June 2011, 02:01 PM
Not sure if you're serious about the ruck free kicks BMR :o

Not that the umpires were much better in the rest of the match. Byron takes one step too many and goes over the mark after the GWS player has kicked it, 50m penalty. Later on, Mitch Thompson gets a blatant push in the back after he's marked it. It's so obviously a 50m penalty that Mitch gets up and starts jogging the 50m only to discover that he hasn't been paid one.

I was sitting near a one eyed Giants fan who spent most of the game getting apoplectic every time he thought the Giants had been hard done by by an umpiring decision. (A couple of times he got worked up with it not being fair how tall Currie was.) But even he couldn't believe Thompson didn't get a 50m penalty for that.

Nico
19th June 2011, 08:46 PM
On these reports I think we must bring Parker in given the lacking of something in the senior midfield. I thought his game against North was OK.

Who you leave out is another thing. We need to bridge the gap between us and the top 4 as the current seniors team lacks that something at the moment to take us there. As harsh as it might seem it could be Malceski who is to go. He was moved forward today and looked decidedly like it was too tough for him. That mark he dropped in the second quarter today was unforgiveable and the group of about a dozen I was with today thought the same. We were standing right near the spot and he appeared to take his eyes off the footy as 2 Carlton players closed. His form is now tapering off like it did last time he had the Lars tretament. My opinion only but it appears Johnson has now taken his spot.

Why not bring Currie in and play him up forward. If we are not going to play Seaby and Mumford together and most people reckon LRT must go back to his rightful position., then he can be our second ruck.

Auntie.Gerald
19th June 2011, 09:23 PM
how did Jed Lamb go ?? our no 20 pick last season !

Bas
19th June 2011, 09:24 PM
Young Rooster Boy is such a character.

As all the ressies were coming into the race after the game, Garry was walking with them and AnnieH yelled out something like 'great game Garry" and he looked up with this big smile and waved as if it was "I know". It was very funny.

The other thing was that some kids asked Jesse for his autograph and he stayed back on his own until he signed them all.

Triple B
19th June 2011, 09:35 PM

Still baa'd from playing due to injury....

Kirkari
19th June 2011, 09:51 PM

Injured. But played some awesome kick to kick with some little boy at 3/4 time...

He's keen as mustard and a good kid though.

Jesse Richards
20th June 2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks ugg. I am in awe once again at your prodigious talent and memory.

My only comment is that once Daniel Currie has had a couple of years of BOG or close to it week after week in the Reserves, he will be unflappable, well developed and highly skilled. Let's not push him into a situation again where he loses confidence or is overfaced. He is a seriously good long term prospect and should not be used as a bandaid for the current problems in the Seniors.

Lucky Knickers
20th June 2011, 12:42 PM
Let's plonk Byron down in front of tapes of Daniel Kerr (clearance work rather than nut punches...)

BSA5
20th June 2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks ugg. I am in awe once again at your prodigious talent and memory.

My only comment is that once Daniel Currie has had a couple of years of BOG or close to it week after week in the Reserves, he will be unflappable, well developed and highly skilled. Let's not push him into a situation again where he loses confidence or is overfaced. He is a seriously good long term prospect and should not be used as a bandaid for the current problems in the Seniors.

He's 22. How much longer do you want to wait?

alison.z
20th June 2011, 02:44 PM
He's 22. How much longer do you want to wait?

Yeah - I would like to see him get a chance this year .. By all accounts he's improved again this year and is playing consistently in reserves. I'm not sure if now is the right time but hopefully soon!

ugg
20th June 2011, 03:22 PM
Reserves are giant killers - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/116658/default.aspx)

Greater Western Sydney Giants | GIANTS go down to undefeated Swans (http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/giants-go-down-to-undefeated-swans.html)

ugg
20th June 2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tuz9gUbbOg

3 (GWS) highlights.

ugg
21st June 2011, 05:54 PM
Reserves Report ? mid-season update pt. 1 - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/116784/default.aspx)

Mid-season Review by Playfair.

But what's more interesting is that the last line of the article says the upcoming match against Queanbeyan has been shifted again, this time to the SCG at 12.30pm. Finally we get another ressies match at the SCG but it's not as a curtain raiser! What a weird and wonderful season.

Primmy
21st June 2011, 06:50 PM
Ta for that ugg. I may even be able to make it! BO is just a no go zone re parking...do we have to pay?

liz
21st June 2011, 07:02 PM
Reserves Report ? mid-season update pt. 1 - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/116784/default.aspx)

Mid-season Review by Playfair.

But what's more interesting is that the last line of the article says the upcoming match against Queanbeyan has been shifted again, this time to the SCG at 12.30pm. Finally we get another ressies match at the SCG but it's not as a curtain raiser! What a weird and wonderful season.

And there I've been scratching my head, trying to work out how to kill 4 or so hours out in Western Sydney on Saturday afternoon. It would be too much of a pain to drive all the way back from BOP, only to turn round an hour or so later and drive back to Homebush. The SCG would be far more palatable.

stellation
21st June 2011, 07:08 PM
And there I've been scratching my head, trying to work out how to kill 4 or so hours out in Western Sydney on Saturday afternoon. It would be too much of a pain to drive all the way back from BOP, only to turn round an hour or so later and drive back to Homebush. The SCG would be far more palatable.

Oh you're just like Eddie! ;)

liz
21st June 2011, 07:33 PM
Oh you're just like Eddie! ;)

I don't like felafel...

My gripe is more about the driving - to have to drive more than once, there and back, down King Georges' Road in a single day would be hell. It took me an hour and a half each way to drive to BOP last Saturday, but of that, it only took about 15 minutes each way to get from Homebush to Rooty Hill (and 10 minutes to walk from the car park to the stadium!)

Bas
21st June 2011, 09:58 PM
I don't like felafel...

You're getting your Western Suburbs confused there Liz. There is no FALAFEL out Blacktown way. It's much more multi-cultural than that.

However, possibly being a bit of the Skippy the Bush Kangaroo sort of gal, I recommend the Rooty Hill RSL. You can get a nice meat rissole with vege and a splash of gravy. Follow that up with a big slice of pavlova.

Then fill in the rest of your time with the locals on the pokies. Give the 5 cent machine a bit of a beating and before you know it, time to go to ANZ to watch the Mugpies give the Swans a beating.

No excuses now.

Bas
21st June 2011, 10:15 PM
[URL="http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/116784/default.aspx"]

It's gone from ANZ to BOP at 11:30am and now to SCG at 12:30 pm.

Well it won't be at ANZ but I'd have my money on BOP at 11:30am. Unless the double header they proposed was not practical.

It would be a shame to deny Liz from having fun at the Rooty Hill RSL. I must ring the Club. ;)

ugg
21st June 2011, 10:17 PM
Bas, Blacktown Workers Club has the best pizza west of Stratty.

Change confirmed here

North East Australian Football League: LIONS FIGHTBACK FALLS JUST SHORT (http://bitly.com/inBBZR)

Bas
21st June 2011, 10:25 PM
Bas, Blacktown Workers Club has the best pizza west of Stratty.

Change confirmed here

North East Australian Football League: LIONS FIGHTBACK FALLS JUST SHORT (http://bitly.com/inBBZR)

So in one page you have two different times and venues :

North East Australian Football League: Home (http://www.neafl.com.au/)

I have been to the Workers for the smorgasboard but not the pizza. Will try one day.

Wardy
22nd June 2011, 08:04 PM
You're getting your Western Suburbs confused there Liz. There is no FALAFEL out Blacktown way. It's much more multi-cultural than that.

However, possibly being a bit of the Skippy the Bush Kangaroo sort of gal, I recommend the Rooty Hill RSL. You can get a nice meat rissole with vege and a splash of gravy. Follow that up with a big slice of pavlova.

Then fill in the rest of your time with the locals on the pokies. Give the 5 cent machine a bit of a beating and before you know it, time to go to ANZ to watch the Mugpies give the Swans a beating.

No excuses now.

I went to Rooty Hill RSL about 20 years ago - and there were a couple at the table in the BEESTRO next to us that were almost living up to the suburbs name ( get what I'm sayin!!!)- it really did put me off my Chicken Maryland! I mean there is a time and a place for everything !

liz
22nd June 2011, 08:13 PM
There is no FALAFEL out Blacktown way.

Perfectly acceptable alternative spelling...

felafel - definition of felafel by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/felafel)

Bas
22nd June 2011, 08:24 PM
I went to Rooty Hill RSL about 20 years ago - and there were a couple at the table in the BEESTRO next to us that were almost living up to the suburbs name ( get what I'm sayin!!!)- it really did put me off my Chicken Maryland! I mean there is a time and a place for everything !

They're still there. They play hide the Falafel/Felafal now.

Lucky Knickers
22nd June 2011, 08:35 PM
Reminds me of that great song "you say Felefal. I say Falafel"

Triple B
22nd June 2011, 09:38 PM
Reminds me of that great song "you say Felefal. I say Falafel"

Made famous by the Lebanese Country and Western singer.... Salim Dusty.

Big Al
22nd June 2011, 09:54 PM
Made famous by the Lebanese Country and Western singer.... Salim Dusty.

:rofl

BeeEmmAre
24th June 2011, 05:54 PM
Just a reminder to reserves fans about tonight's telecast of the Swans-Giants match. 6.30pm on Main Event Channel 518.