PDA

View Full Version : 2012 trade targets

bennyfabulous
17th June 2011, 09:45 PM
I know its a bit early, but with Braddy retiring it frees up a bit of cash and whilst watching the WB v Adelaide game tonight, i keep thinking Rory Sloane would fit in really well with us.

There would be numerous others throughout the league. Any thoughts?

Triple B
17th June 2011, 09:50 PM
i keep thinking Rory Sloane would fit in really well with us.

He'd fit in really well at Collingwood or Geelong as well.

Gun.

sharp9
17th June 2011, 09:58 PM
Dustin Martin....Do I have to wake up or can I keep dreaming?

Nich
17th June 2011, 10:07 PM
They won't let Sloane go. No chance! Great prospect.

bennyfabulous
17th June 2011, 10:14 PM
Maybe we could offer over the odds, get him like we got mummy.

Bas
17th June 2011, 11:35 PM
I know its a bit early, but with Braddy retiring it frees up a bit of cash ?

According to the Telegraph today (which supports what I thought) that Bradshaw signed a 3 year contract for 1.2 mill.

Doesn't that mean that the money carries over into next year so we actually don't gain any financial advantage? The other option is that they pay him over the first two years for which it worked out that for 9 games he received $133,333 per game. Well that works out same over 3 years as well.

I can see why there is not much incentive to recover.

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 12:39 AM
most other info said $500k pa - with it being 3yrs - but i think we all know that it wuld have been 2yrs with a 3rd year option for the club

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 12:45 AM
for me I am comfortable with LRT playing a bit upfront at FF as long as we have Goodes and Reid playing upfront as much as possible also

Daniel Menzel I think is an extremely dangerous player and although only 188cm he is very hard to mark up on and lethal with the boot.........which would allow us to have Rohan still being groomed to take over Tags role in the future and Menzel upfront !!! to ad lib style players

Daniel Menzel Player Profile bio - Official AFL Website of the Geelong Cats Football Club (http://www.geelongcats.com.au/players/playerprofile/danielmenzel/tabid/8137/playerid/21637/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx)

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 12:54 AM
also it is interesting that given we a father son with our first pick........... we are in a great position ie we can give away a high pick because we can still pickup the father son pic in the 30's or 40's ????

18th June 2011, 02:28 AM
also it is interesting that given we a father son with our first pick........... we are in a great position ie we can give away a high pick because we can still pickup the father son pic in the 30's or 40's ????

Nope, we'll have to burn our first pick on Tom Michell leaving our first live pick this year in the late 30's, that's where we got Sam Reid!

Big Al
18th June 2011, 06:21 AM
Nope, we'll have to burn our first pick on Tom Michell leaving our first live pick this year in the late 30's, that's where we got Sam Reid!

I thought all the father/son picks were utilised in the later rounds of the draft.

dimelb
18th June 2011, 09:16 AM
I thought all the father/son picks were utilised in the later rounds of the draft.
I may be wrong but my understanding is that if you nominate them as later picks, other clubs can pick them up with earlier picks.

Jeffers1984
18th June 2011, 10:10 AM
GWS will ensure that we use our first rounder and bid their first rounder for Mitchell..

Geelong got lucky back in those days being able to get GAblett and to a lesser extent Hawkins for 3rd rounders.

Triple B
18th June 2011, 10:34 AM
As Jeffers said, it's a bidding system now.

All clubs can nominate any potential other clubs father/son before the draft. The father/son's club must then use their very next pick to exercise the option, otherwise the other club gets them.

eg.GWS say's they will use their Pick 5 for Mitchell. The Swans must use their next pick after #5 (remember this is happening before any trades etc. move the draft order around). If that is Pick 20, then they MUST use Pick 20.

wolftone57
18th June 2011, 11:37 AM
I know its a bit early, but with Braddy retiring it frees up a bit of cash and whilst watching the WB v Adelaide game tonight, i keep thinking Rory Sloane would fit in really well with us.

There would be numerous others throughout the league. Any thoughts?

So you would replace a key posie player with a flanker? We are going to have a few KPP's getting to the end of their careers soon, Teddy & LRT, we need to draft a young KPP player

wolftone57
18th June 2011, 11:43 AM
According to the Telegraph today (which supports what I thought) that Bradshaw signed a 3 year contract for 1.2 mill.

Doesn't that mean that the money carries over into next year so we actually don't gain any financial advantage? The other option is that they pay him over the first two years for which it worked out that for 9 games he received $133,333 per game. Well that works out same over 3 years as well.

I can see why there is not much incentive to recover.

Not if Braddy retires. He doesn't get the money as he didn't complete the contract therefore the money goes back into the slush fund to pay for another player. Under the rules I believe the money gets credited back to our salery cap as he didn't complete the contract & therefore won't be paid this sum.

Primmy
18th June 2011, 12:35 PM
Besides which Braddy is a man of integrity, and I trust his ethics.

liz
18th June 2011, 12:44 PM
Not if Braddy retires. He doesn't get the money as he didn't complete the contract therefore the money goes back into the slush fund to pay for another player. Under the rules I believe the money gets credited back to our salery cap as he didn't complete the contract & therefore won't be paid this sum.

Would depend on how the contract is structured, but generally a player is entitled to be paid his contracted amount, regardless. If he did have a third year on his contract, his retirement will likely trigger this amount to be included in the current year's salary cap. Seems a little odd that this is stipulated, but it is why Voss' career ending injury caused the Lions problems and forced them to keep him on their list for the final year of his contract, despite the fact they knew he wasn't going to play. I suspect it might also be why Fosdike delayed his retirement until the start of 2009 - ie the Swans salary cap for 2008 wouldn't allow him to retire at the end of that year. There is an injury allowance that provides clubs with some relief for a player retiring with another year or more to go on his contract but it isn't unlimited.

Wardy
18th June 2011, 02:25 PM
Is Callan Ward off contract from the Dogs this year ? or is he being targeted by GWS?- he seems pretty good (and no relation)

ScottH
18th June 2011, 02:33 PM
is callan ward off contract from the dogs this year ? Or is he being targeted by gws?- he seems pretty good (and no relation)

gws.

Wardy
18th June 2011, 02:44 PM
gws.

oh well never mind. stil he is pretty good!

bennyfabulous
18th June 2011, 06:30 PM
So you would replace a key posie player with a flanker? We are going to have a few KPP's getting to the end of their careers soon, Teddy & LRT, we need to draft a young KPP player

Its not a direct replacement, its just a player who could add a bit to our team. We have a few KPP prospects in the wings. Plus we would have draft picks and trade possibilities for others if need be.

Doctor
18th June 2011, 06:35 PM

Hmmm, Alex Johnson anyone?

I'd like to think we could aim to pick up a key forward an free agency if possible and continue to groom Reid, TDL, White and whoever else we have in mind.

goswannie14
18th June 2011, 07:02 PM
for me I am comfortable with LRT playing a bit upfront at FF as long as we have Goodes and Reid playing upfront as much as possible also

Daniel Menzel I think is an extremely dangerous player and although only 188cm he is very hard to mark up on and lethal with the boot.........which would allow us to have Rohan still being groomed to take over Tags role in the future and Menzel upfront !!! to ad lib style players

Daniel Menzel Player Profile bio - Official AFL Website of the Geelong Cats Football Club (http://www.geelongcats.com.au/players/playerprofile/danielmenzel/tabid/8137/playerid/21637/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx)
THat would mean I could keep my avatar. I had my photo taken with Dan Menzel, Andrew Bews and a few local Salvos for the Red Shield Appeal. He is a really nice young man, and a pretty decent footballer as well.

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 08:02 PM
So what would a transaction look like to get

Daniel Menzel to the Swans or

Tom Scully ?

what would we need to give in return?

How good is Mitchell I suppose is the big question?.............if he is 4 foot nothing yet incredible in picking up possessions like a Dylan McNeil will he dominate at Senior level ?

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 08:28 PM
also I am confused ..............if GWS offer a large amount to Scully........does GWS need to compensate Melbourne to execute the trade ...............ie as GWS are in their first year of football etc ????

Imagine if we had :

Scully
Hannebery
Mitchell

That would be an extremely high possession young 3 players that could run other teams ragged !

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 08:45 PM
I stand corrected he was already 179cm at 16yrs of age.......

"The 16-year-old was a standout for WA and was awarded his state's MVP for the tournament.

The 179cm midfielder caught the eye with his dash and skill and averaged more than 32 disposals per game against South Australia, Vic Country and Vic Metro, racking up 40 possessions against SA. "

incredible stats given Luke PArer who I rate as a real long term in and under player for the Swans was picking up around 20 to 24 possessions - but Luke may have been in the HF line alot as per his videos in the draft etc

Doctor
18th June 2011, 11:19 PM
also I am confused ..............if GWS offer a large amount to Scully........does GWS need to compensate Melbourne to execute the trade ...............ie as GWS are in their first year of football etc ????

At the risk of getting off topic, this article should help explain it. To answer your question specifically, Melbourne receive a compensation pick (or perhaps two) but they receive them from the AFL, not from GWS. They'll be slotted in to the overall draft as additional selections from my reading of it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86738/default.aspx

bennyfabulous
20th June 2011, 09:54 PM
Roosy just said on "on the couch" that with a decent forward (Bradshaw) we would be a top 4 side. We must get a KP forward in the trade period this year. Must must must

Bas
20th June 2011, 10:13 PM
Roosy just said on "on the couch" that with a decent forward (Bradshaw) we would be a top 4 side. We must get a KP forward in the trade period this year. Must must must

The Tomahawk is on the shopping list.

The Swans plan to feed him raw meat, throw Bondi Beach sand in his face over summer, make him do the Bridge climb without a safety rope and wrestle pit bulls at Blacktown----------------> Our new Full Forward

liz
20th June 2011, 10:20 PM

I don't think it is that straightforward. Firstly, we are probably a classy midfielder away too, at the very least. Kieran might be part of that answer, once he gets his fitness back, but we probably need another as well. Though I am very encouraged by Hanners' last few weeks. Whatever was on his mind for the first month or so of the season seems to have been sorted out. His play yesterday was full of purpose.

Secondly, good forwards don't grow on trees, and when clubs have one, they are generally unwilling to give them up. And if one happens to be fed up with his club and looking for more money and a move to Sydney, chances are he will head further west than the Swans.

Dan
20th June 2011, 11:33 PM
Fevola.......

"hides under a rock"

mcs
20th June 2011, 11:52 PM
I think Menzel looks a very fine player. He was excellent on the weekend for Geelong and I'd love to see him at the Swans.

The Big Cat
21st June 2011, 12:07 AM
There's a kid called Mickeljohn who is captain of one of the SANFL teams that may be worth a look!

DST
21st June 2011, 12:10 AM
I think we are still a couple (possibly 3) genuine midfield rotations short at this stage. Potentially we have a couple of those on the list already in Parker. Merideth, Lamb Jetta and possibly Rohan. With another in Mitchell to join next year. If we could just uncover a quick outside midfielder with our second or third pick like we have with Reid, Alex Johnson etc that would be like gold at present.

The big question at this stage is whether we persist with using White up forward or send him back to defence or play as a second ruckman.

We are going to need to know by the end of this year as to whether we trade for a key forward, so I would place White at FF from this week for the rest of the year and just say to him you have until the end of the year to make the position his own.

DST

Go Swannies
21st June 2011, 12:23 AM
The Swans plan to feed him raw meat, throw Bondi Beach sand in his face over summer, make him do the Bridge climb without a safety rope and wrestle pit bulls at Blacktown----------------> Our new Full Forward

Ha, my family do that to me as survival training for the annual Pies game at Olympic Park. And I see the same pit bulls there.

Dosser
21st June 2011, 11:02 AM
Time to put in a phone call to Warwick Capper...

aardvark
21st June 2011, 11:21 AM
I think we are still a couple (possibly 3) genuine midfield rotations short at this stage. Potentially we have a couple of those on the list already in Parker. Merideth, Lamb Jetta and possibly Rohan. With another in Mitchell to join next year. If we could just uncover a quick outside midfielder with our second or third pick like we have with Reid, Alex Johnson etc that would be like gold at present.DST

Spot on! One or two class outside mids are No1 priority on my recruitment list.

Auntie.Gerald
24th June 2011, 12:40 AM
Mitch Brown Player Profile bio - Official AFL Website of the Geelong Cats Football Club (http://www.geelongcats.com.au/tabid/8137/Default.aspx?playerid=19893)

anyone got an opinion on Mitch ??

bennyfabulous
24th June 2011, 12:52 AM
Is he a redhead?

Frog
24th June 2011, 08:33 AM
Left field <----------------------------------- Get Jack --------------------------------- (of the Riewoldt variety ... I like the kid)

Contracted or not, I'm sure there is a trade somewhere for him (a couple of outside midfielders or something, one of them could be a current captain)

R-1
24th June 2011, 09:09 AM
We can offer, um... a chance of making the finals ad infinitum... and Bondi is nice?

Go Swannies
24th June 2011, 09:58 AM
We can offer, um... a chance of making the finals ad infinitum... and Bondi is nice?

Better than always finishing 9th. So we can have our choice from Richmond? I think Jack, with all his talent, might fail the "no dickheads" policy. Still a better prospect than his cousin.

Peace
24th June 2011, 01:58 PM
Soooo Wayne Carey wants to get into coaching..... I think we should bring him in as our forwards coach! then we can have 4 ex Nth Melb players in our coaching staff, he would surely be able to help out Jesse and Sam!

Go Swannies
24th June 2011, 03:39 PM
Soooo Wayne Carey wants to get into coaching..... I think we should bring him in as our forwards coach! then we can have 4 ex Nth Melb players in our coaching staff, he would surely be able to help out Jesse and Sam!

And Jude has a new wife.

Auntie.Gerald
24th June 2011, 04:09 PM
The big question is can LJ start running from HFF like Andrew Walker from the Blues

if he can we are ok I feel as we can rotate Seabs and Mums or LRT up there also like teh blues did against us

Cpt. Kirk
24th June 2011, 04:51 PM
I reckon Lucas Cook he is fairly high draft pick forward playing in melbournes 2s lately he looked really good the other day when he was vsing collingwoods 2s.
He has strong hands and can read the play fairly well.

Lucas Cook Player Profile bio - Official AFL Website of the Melbourne Football Club (http://www.melbournefc.com.au/players/playerprofile/lucascook/tabid/8357/playerid/22237/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx)
Worth having a look at, he looked very promising and he may not be able to get a spot in melbournes forward line for the next couple of years.

ShockOfHair
7th July 2011, 12:40 AM
Mitch Morton?

Morton is out of contract at the end of the season and back playing for Coburg in the VFL after personal problems, giving him the opportunity to sell himself with some decent numbers.

He is a natural goalkicker with a massive leap. Just needs to learn the exact meaning of "team" - even if he was more selfless up the ground late last year.

Simply too talented to squirt out of the system completely.

John Longmire might back himself to change Morton's ways with some "Bloods" philosophies.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/which-players-couldl-be-trading-places/story-fn7si05c-1226088308539

On-Baller
7th July 2011, 12:47 AM
Article you posted is being discussed here-

Potential Forward Trade Targets List. - Page 6 (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/33217-Potential-Forward-Trade-Targets-List./page6)

kangle4
7th July 2011, 06:36 PM
Today on SEN Kevin Bartlett was saying how Colin Sylvia was out of contract at the end of the year. Greg Denham said he and Melbourne were pretty far apart from a new contract and that he would be a good fit for the Swans.
Probably nothing in it but was interesting that he mentioned the Swans out of every team in the league. Would be a good pick up but I assume we would have to give up a lot.

Bas
7th July 2011, 06:49 PM
Today on SEN Kevin Bartlett was saying how Colin Sylvia was out of contract at the end of the year. Greg Denham said he and Melbourne were pretty far apart from a new contract and that he would be a good fit for the Swans.
Probably nothing in it but was interesting that he mentioned the Swans out of every team in the league. Would be a good pick up but I assume we would have to give up a lot.

Colin "Punch and Judy" Sylvia coming to the Swans. Contract talk up and there will be plenty of that as the usual everyone coming off contract is coming to Sydney.

ScottH
8th July 2011, 06:03 PM
There was an article in the Wednesdays paper, and it had Mitch Morton as the X Factor Sydney are looking for in the Fwd line, and also mentioned Dylan Addison as a good fit for the swans.

msb
8th July 2011, 07:03 PM
Matthew Lloyd on the gameplan show last night rekons we should go after an injury plagued Brian Lake! He said he could help bridge the gap between us and the top sides. I would agree with this maybe 2-3 years ago, but not now.

ernie koala
8th July 2011, 07:23 PM
There was an article in the Wednesdays paper, and it had Mitch Morton as the X Factor Sydney are looking for in the Fwd line, and also mentioned Dylan Addison as a good fit for the swans.

Dylan Addison is a slow tagger and a very ordinary kick.....we don't need any more of those..... no thanks.

stellation
8th July 2011, 07:28 PM
If you assume Brian's just gone bonkers because of life with Rocket (we can all relate to that!) I'd consider it then, but he'll be 30 at the start of next year.

I do have some curiosity in seeing how he'd go as a FF for a year or so, though.

liz
8th July 2011, 08:04 PM
Our defence is by far the best performed part of the team this season. We probably have too many of them in the team because they've all been in decent form. We will need to start replacing a few of them over the next 2-3 seasons, but surely we have much higher priorities than a 30 year old defender, good as he has been.

Sylvia is a far more interesting prospect because he is that explosive, inside / outside goal kicking midfielder that we lack. Though I do recall Roos commenting about him on OTC earlier this season, noting that he is very much a "one way" player.

sharp9
9th July 2011, 12:19 AM
Sylvia no no no no no no no no no! How to pull down your culture in one foul swoop. Talented but lazy, arrogant player who gets nowhere near the best out of himself.

We should be after Bate. I liked him from his first game. Great kick for goal. never gives half

Auntie.Gerald
9th July 2011, 09:54 AM
Brian Lake is a target when in form

hhhmmmmm we have plenty of money no doubt with CBolts and Braddy finished maybe close to $800k ?? it does sound like Mitchell is a future expensive payment along with AJ, McGlynn, Kennedy etc

I tend to think we should still go for a fast quality midfielder as we have ROK and Jude closer to retirement the next year or two and we have Kennedy and Parker to take on their roles..............Mitchell will be welcome but will end up more as an inside midfielder I believe..........Sumner still could be anything if he level jumps in attitude, belief and tank.............his skills are silky and launches a massive left foot kick............Rohan could be a winger but I doubt that is his best position for the next couple of years...............Jed could possibly do a Dale Thomas and be so much more then a HFF or FP but lets see if his cardio is up there

The main reason though is seeing Carltons fast break being so bloody hard to handle..........it wont beat a full strength Hawks with Franklin nor a full strength Pies with Cloak etc.......but it is a team and structure that works for the 188 to 194cm mid sized forwards ie LJ and Goodes and Reidy could relish fast break footy from the midfield and be out in front on some very good leads.............hoping for a big awesome forward as a trade aint going to happen me thinks.

stellation
9th July 2011, 10:46 AM
Dylan Addison is a slow tagger and a very ordinary kick.....we don't need any more of those..... no thanks.

I don't think I'd agree with him being slow, but he's not a great kick. Dylan reminds me a bit of a smarter Bevo with worse footskills, if anything he's even more reckless than Paul. I think he's a decent enough player.

He'll be 24 going into next season, I expect GWS would be very interested.

Melbourne_Blood
9th July 2011, 11:38 AM
I honestly am not certain there is a single player out there ( who is available) who could improve us that much next year. Morton no, Lake could be another Bradshaw ( battling his body), Addison ( are you kidding ? .

The ones that could improve us are unavailable, so forget them. We need a consistent, effective game plan, more consistent peformances from our young/ mid age players ( Jack, Joey, Mummy, Mcglynn, Malceski, Grundy, etc. ) improvement out of our talented youngsters, and something that resembles a forward line.

A West Coast like turn around next year is what im praying for. Im pretty amazed at how good they are, and as much as i hate them ( i attended the GF in '06, not in '05) , i have a lot of respect for them and really enjoy watching them play.

royboy42
9th July 2011, 01:31 PM
The main reason though is seeing Carltons fast break being so bloody hard to handle..........it wont beat a full strength Hawks with Franklin nor a full strength Pies with Cloak etc.......but it is a team and structure that works for the 188 to 194cm mid sized forwards ie LJ and Goodes and Reidy could relish fast break footy from the midfield and be out in front on some very good leads.............hoping for a big awesome forward as a trade aint going to happen me thinks.[/QUOTE]

Jesse, the script is right there for you to act out...If only....

Cardinal
17th July 2011, 05:55 PM
I think our issue come trade time is what bait we are going to be willing to part with to secure decent players. We might have to hold our horses and build for the future rather than hoping for any quick fixes.

Bugger me where that imported forward is going to come from unless we trade a ruck and reality is we probably can't afford to do that

Jimitron5000
17th July 2011, 06:23 PM
There is a little bit in today's Herald-Sun about us chasing Taylor Walker of Adelaide. He has ludicrous amounts of talent and could be anything if he put his mind to it.
Well worth a punt I reckon.

Cardinal
17th July 2011, 06:25 PM
TW may have already signed with GWS if you believe the rumours

sfan
17th July 2011, 06:47 PM
Maybe we need to start tanking to get a few earlier picks!!!!! This season is over with us just making up the numbers just in or just out of the 8.

Dan
17th July 2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe we need to start tanking to get a few earlier picks!!!!! This season is over with us just making up the numbers just in or just out of the 8.

We have some dignity

Big Al
17th July 2011, 08:40 PM

Not what this club stands for. I won't support any club that doesn't go out to win every game. I hope Carltank never ever get rewarded with a flag for what they did.

Cheer Squad
17th July 2011, 08:44 PM
Maybe we need to start tanking to get a few earlier picks!!!!!

Not the right thing to do, let alone the credibility problem it would give us in Sydney.

Nico
17th July 2011, 08:46 PM
TW may have already signed with GWS if you believe the rumours

But have they been knocking on JW's door? Hope so but the compensation is likely to be meagre.

mcs
17th July 2011, 09:00 PM
But have they been knocking on JW's door? Hope so but the compensation is likely to be meagre.

We can only hope. he is a basket case I'm afraid- far too soft and just is not developing - should get rid to anyone silly enough to take him!

Auntie.Gerald
17th July 2011, 09:37 PM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/taylor-walking-away-to-gws-connors/story-e6frecj3-1226071299201

robamiee
18th July 2011, 12:52 AM
FEV.......................................
slaps myself for that comment....

nomae
18th July 2011, 02:42 AM
Tom Hawkins.

ScottH
18th July 2011, 08:51 AM
Tom Hawkins.

= Jesse White Clone

Dan
18th July 2011, 10:05 AM
FEV.......................................
slaps myself for that comment....

If we get him basically for free, I think it is a good idea
He kicked 11 goals this weekend, but probably had no forward pressure so horse wouldn't pick him anyway :rolleyes:

Captain
18th July 2011, 01:18 PM
I have changed my tune on this one, but would love Fev.

Captain
18th July 2011, 01:18 PM
He kicked 11 goals this weekend, but probably had no forward pressure so horse wouldn't pick him anyway :rolleyes:

:D Brilliant!

liz
19th July 2011, 01:34 AM
The VFL isn't a competition the Swans have recruited from recently, despite the successes of Barlow, Crameri (and this year, a couple of Blues players). There are some names on this list that look interesting, including a few with prior AFL experience. A certain outside runner making waves at Werribee caught my eye - exactly the kind of player we are probably missing this year, and one who I did think was stiff not to get more opportunities when he was with us.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ready-made-vfl-players-for-the-afl-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1226097161234

This year's draft is reported to be good at the very top (which GWS will plunder) but very shallow. So from round 3 onwards, maybe even round 2, clubs will probably be looking outside the traditional U18 crop for draftees.

R-1
19th July 2011, 12:12 PM
On tanking, there's really not going to be much difference between, say, pick 12 and pick 7, surely. Not worth it.

liz
19th July 2011, 01:27 PM
On tanking, there's really not going to be much difference between, say, pick 12 and pick 7, surely. Not worth it.

Even if it were normally worth it, it certainly isn't for the Swans this year. In all likelihood our first pick will be used on Tom Mitchell, whether that is pick 4 or pick 25.

ABloodsMan
19th July 2011, 01:45 PM
Not if we had pick 4. GWS can't bid on father/sons. But since that's impossible we'll be using whatever our first round pick eventually is.

toothy76
19th July 2011, 02:30 PM
Father son picks used to be later in the draft, but there is a new system which allows other clubs to basically say that they'd like that same player, nominating which pick in the draft they WOULD have used to select him. The club with father son rights then has to use the pick IMMEDIATELY AFTER that of the club that nominated a selection.

A couple of years back, St Kilda said that they would have used their first pick to select Ayce Cordy, forcing the Bulldogs to use their first round pick to draft him. I think we actually nominated a selection for either Mitch Wallis or Tom Liberatore last year (and another club probably did too) forcing them to use their first two selections. It's basically come in to prevent situations like Geelong drafting Gary Ablett so late in the draft when, if he was available to all, he would have been selected much sooner.

Triple B
19th July 2011, 02:36 PM
Father son picks used .......

I believe ABM is saying that GWS cannot bid for a father/son selection, therefore, if we had Pick 4 we would keep it because GWS with the first 3 picks are unable to gazump us.

Of course, we won't be finishing with the spoon, so it's all a hypothetical anyway.

Dosser
19th July 2011, 03:05 PM
I believe ABM is saying that GWS cannot bid for a father/son selection, therefore, if we had Pick 4 we would keep it because GWS with the first 3 picks are unable to gazump us.

Of course, we won't be finishing with the spoon, so it's all a hypothetical anyway.

Yes, but can you imagine a world with no hypotheticals?

ScottH
19th July 2011, 03:14 PM
Yes, but can you imagine a world with no hypotheticals?

Yes, We wouldn't know who Geoffrey Robertson is.

nomae
19th July 2011, 03:14 PM
If we didn't have about 300 half-back flankers I would ask why we got rid of O'Dwyer.

Mr Magoo
19th July 2011, 03:21 PM
The VFL isn't a competition the Swans have recruited from recently, despite the successes of Barlow, Crameri (and this year, a couple of Blues players). There are some names on this list that look interesting, including a few with prior AFL experience. A certain outside runner making waves at Werribee caught my eye - exactly the kind of player we are probably missing this year, and one who I did think was stiff not to get more opportunities when he was with us.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ready-made-vfl-players-for-the-afl-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1226097161234

This year's draft is reported to be good at the very top (which GWS will plunder) but very shallow. So from round 3 onwards, maybe even round 2, clubs will probably be looking outside the traditional U18 crop for draftees.

Odwyer was always one player whose lack of opportunity in the firsts was a mystery to me. He always looked good when given an opportunity in the firsts . I would love to have known why the coaches firstly didnt give him more opportunities and then chose to delist him.

Dosser
19th July 2011, 03:36 PM
Odwyer was always one player whose lack of opportunity in the firsts was a mystery to me. He always looked good when given an opportunity in the firsts . I would love to have known why the coaches firstly didnt give him more opportunities and then chose to delist him.

This.

Being in sunny Melbourne, I only get limited chances to see our ressies (ie NAB cup), but when I saw him collect a bagful of possessions in one game and then perform quite well in the season proper (I think, from my faded memory) I had him earmarked as a future player. Whatever happened?

ugg
19th July 2011, 03:49 PM
It was hinted at in some newspaper articles that his off-field work and preparation wasn't as good as the Swans would have liked.

jono2707
19th July 2011, 05:21 PM
It was hinted at in some newspaper articles that his off-field work and preparation wasn't as good as the Swans would have liked.

And because our Ressies don't play in a decent competition we have no other way of judging them apart from their off-field work and preparation....

Nico
19th July 2011, 06:01 PM

Maybe his off field work was "too good".

wolftone57
19th July 2011, 06:32 PM
Would depend on how the contract is structured, but generally a player is entitled to be paid his contracted amount, regardless. If he did have a third year on his contract, his retirement will likely trigger this amount to be included in the current year's salary cap. Seems a little odd that this is stipulated, but it is why Voss' career ending injury caused the Lions problems and forced them to keep him on their list for the final year of his contract, despite the fact they knew he wasn't going to play. I suspect it might also be why Fosdike delayed his retirement until the start of 2009 - ie the Swans salary cap for 2008 wouldn't allow him to retire at the end of that year. There is an injury allowance that provides clubs with some relief for a player retiring with another year or more to go on his contract but it isn't unlimited.

I think you will find that contracts will fall under the corporate law of which ever state the contracting club is registered in. If the Swans are a registered sporting club in NSW then contracts fall under NSW Corporate & Contract Law. If we are looking at a Federal Workplace agreement then this is different but I am led to believe we are talking about business contracts for the services of a contractor. These then fall under contract law. Under NSW Contract Law if a party fails to complete a contract then the value of the failed contract is forfiet. With the provisions of the AFL Players Association re retiring players Braddy would receive a retirement payment.
I find it difficult to believe that Brisbane had to keep Voss on its books for a whole year as an injured player as this type of contractual obligation is restraint of trade & also in contravention of State Law both in NSW & QLD.

wolftone57
19th July 2011, 06:41 PM
On trade targets what about the ones we should be looking to offload? Jesse White? Jared Moore? Tadhg? LRT? Teddy? Just asking who do people want to replace? Ryano would still give us a decent draft pick to the right side, say Melb, Port, GWS or Suns.

i think Sheedy would be interested in Jesse as he has had experience with difficult big blokes before.

So if you are going to look at who comes them who goes?

liz
19th July 2011, 06:54 PM
I think you will find that contracts will fall under the corporate law of which ever state the contracting club is registered in. If the Swans are a registered sporting club in NSW then contracts fall under NSW Corporate & Contract Law. If we are looking at a Federal Workplace agreement then this is different but I am led to believe we are talking about business contracts for the services of a contractor. These then fall under contract law. Under NSW Contract Law if a party fails to complete a contract then the value of the failed contract is forfiet. With the provisions of the AFL Players Association re retiring players Braddy would receive a retirement payment.
I find it difficult to believe that Brisbane had to keep Voss on its books for a whole year as an injured player as this type of contractual obligation is restraint of trade & also in contravention of State Law both in NSW & QLD.

I would imagine that AFL contracts fall under the auspices of the CBA.

That Brisbane had to keep Voss on their list for a year after they knew he wouldn't be playing is a matter of record.

wolftone57
19th July 2011, 07:09 PM

That Brisbane had to keep Voss on their list for a year after they knew he wouldn't be playing is a matter of record.

Liz i don't think that thay would legally have to if they had challenged the AFL Salary Cap Restrictions under the Restraint of Trade Laws or they decided Voss had broken his contractual obligation & therefore forfiet the payments. They did not do that and paid Voss his full contract & therefore were obligated to do what they did. But I don't think legally they were under any obligation to pay him out in the first place. They created the situation. Say the Swans & Braddy come to an agreement to pay him out to the end of this season & he agreed to cancel the remaining contract then the circumstances should be different.

liz
19th July 2011, 07:38 PM
Liz i don't think that thay would legally have to if they had challenged the AFL Salary Cap Restrictions under the Restraint of Trade Laws or they decided Voss had broken his contractual obligation & therefore forfiet the payments. They did not do that and paid Voss his full contract & therefore were obligated to do what they did. But I don't think legally they were under any obligation to pay him out in the first place. They created the situation. Say the Swans & Braddy come to an agreement to pay him out to the end of this season & he agreed to cancel the remaining contract then the circumstances should be different.

Unless one has access to the terms of Bradshaw's contract (or Voss' contract) - which I certainly don't; do you? - I imagine it is difficult to form an opinion on what the clubs' obligations are/were. Nor am I privy to arrangements the Swans might have come to with Bradshaw, within the constraints of what discretion the contract allows. Are you?

What it is possible to know as a semi-educated outsider is that a) the salary cap machinations are very complex; and b) there have certainly been past instances where a combination of contractual arrangements and salary cap machinations have dictated that a player stays on a list beyond the period the player and the club know that he can play.

Bas
19th July 2011, 07:49 PM

Commonwealth Bank has control ???

I think that references to contract law in the AFL is a bit like saying the Vatican is governed by Italian Law. It has a law all of it's own.

We'll never just never know.

Jesse is hardly a difficult big bloke. He's just a big Disney character. Cast in the wrong role.

robamiee
19th July 2011, 08:05 PM
Walker from the crows would be ideal and i would much prefer him to FEV due to his age...but as you say he may have been signed by GWS...as good as Sammy reid will be, i dont think he is a big enough body to dominate and would be better suited to that roaming CHF role ala Goodsey role....

We def need a dominate big man that can kick goals.....

mcs
19th July 2011, 09:12 PM
Walker from the crows would be ideal and i would much prefer him to FEV due to his age...but as you say he may have been signed by GWS...as good as Sammy reid will be, i dont think he is a big enough body to dominate and would be better suited to that roaming CHF role ala Goodsey role....

We def need a dominate big man that can kick goals.....

I disagree about Sammy Reid. He will bulk up a little bit more as he gets older- remember he only turns 20 after Christmas this year. He has a wonderful grab on him, and also has an excellent sense of positioning that will only improve. I think he is definitely going to be good enough to be a dominant forward- I guess he is really in the Jack Riewoldt mould more than a traditional Fev/Brown/Hall style big guy. One thing is clear though- if he knuckles down and can realise his potential, we have an absolute gun player in the making! I can't wait to see what he is like in a couple of years time when he has 50 games under his belt and is well and truly used to the week in week out grind of AFL footy.

Back on topic, Walker looks an excellent prospect, but I'd expect if he doesn't stay at Adelaide (and it hardly looks likely) then he will definitely be off to GWS. I'm a no to Fev- despite his obvious talent on the football field, I'm not sure we want an influence like him around the club, especially at a time where we have a lot of younger players coming through and we need to ensure that they continue to uphold the wonderful culture we have at the club at the moment.

Untamed Snark
19th July 2011, 09:32 PM
Jesse is hardly a difficult big bloke. He's just a big Disney character. Cast in the wrong role.

So like Dumbo he just needs a feather to believe he can fly?

Nico
19th July 2011, 09:49 PM
Try this list as not being with us in 2012.

Craig Bolton
Bradshaw
Sumner
Meredith
Kennelly

Then you have the likes of White who is a chance to be traded and Currie who has been with us a long time now. You couldn't blame him for moving on if another AFL club wanted him.

It appears to me that with the fat in the salary cap and possible delistings, we will have to be very active both in trading and drafting otherwise we will end up with a list with a very long tail.

Bas
20th July 2011, 12:02 AM
Well the first two are given. Sumner maybe but I'm sure the Club will retain Kennelly and I'm not sure about Meredith.

It makes me think how last week on On the Couch when they showed the Swans midfield and how good it will be in the future, that Sumner's name was not there. Perhaps Gerard got the inside story early so we might be able to assume he is gone as well. After all, the Swans gave Bradshaw thinking time and we know where that ended.

To get good trades, we have to give good players up. Who do we have to spare?

Bas
20th July 2011, 12:03 AM
So like Dumbo he just needs a feather to believe he can fly?

The Tin Man looking for a football brain...........................was that too harsh?

liz
20th July 2011, 01:15 AM
To get good trades, we have to give good players up. Who do we have to spare?

Therein lies the issue. We want to keep the players that other clubs would be interested in trading for.

2009 off-season worked well because we had Jolly and Hall who actually wanted to leave, Buchanan who was expendable and with a club interested in trading for him, plus some decent draft picks in a year where the draft was perceived to be deep. Unless one of our established players announces they want to leave, we don't have anyone obviously expendable, it is a shallow and compromised draft, and our first draft choice is probably off limits. It is probably a year to make minimal changes, upgrade a rookie (Gordon), and hope to strike a rough diamond in the second or third rounds of the draft. We do have a number of scholarship and Academy players available this year but none of them is high profile or starred in the U18 champs. I suspect those who are in with a chance are more likely to be rookie list prospects than clear cut senior list candidates.

swanspant12
20th July 2011, 01:35 AM
jolly didnt want too leave, he left because his wife was suffering depression, and she needed her family and friends down home too support her. Jolly is a very good bloke, and i was pretty shattered for him to leave. Imagine a jolly mummy combination! mouthwatering.

Big Al
20th July 2011, 08:40 AM
jolly didnt want too leave, he left because his wife was suffering depression, and she needed her family and friends down home too support her. Jolly is a very good bloke, and i was pretty shattered for him to leave. Imagine a jolly mummy combination! mouthwatering.

What's the source that she was suffering depression? A real illness as opposed to just being home sick which I thought was the general consensus.

If she was suffering depression then that puts a different light on the whole saga imo.

Triple B
20th July 2011, 09:27 AM

Whether for his own reasons or family reasons, he still wanted/needed to leave, that is the point.

And there would have been no Mummy/Jolly combo. Seaby was already traded early in the week as the ruck backup to Jolly. The Mummy deal only got done when the Jolly deal became reality and we had a need for another ruckman.

Untamed Snark
20th July 2011, 09:52 AM
The Tin Man looking for a football brain...........................was that too harsh?

A little...
Besides Wizard of Oz wasn't a Disney production.

Triple B
20th July 2011, 10:15 AM
Maybe that's Ray's problem. He's never been the same since the house fell on his mother...

Untamed Snark
20th July 2011, 10:25 AM
Maybe that's Ray's problem. He's never been the same since the house fell on his mother...

I see him more as one of the Munchkins-think about it, short, wears a lot of bright colours, rather twee and annoying, also unaware of the real significance of what is happening around him.

msb
20th July 2011, 10:29 AM

I cant stand the bloke now to be honest, to say that he values or treasures his premiership with collingwood more than he did with the swans was just down right wrong, even though he is no longer with the club.