PDA

View Full Version : making change for change sake !!

Auntie.Gerald
20th June 2011, 12:29 PM
We as a club are in an interesting position and an interesting cycle.

I woke up this morning and thought I need a reality check......I need to bring some perspective/context to my short term thinking re the Swans.

I reflected on the long term goals of the Swans (if I was CEO) vs the short term feelings I have re their results and current standing.

KEY OBJECTIVES:

1. ensure the Swans are a club that all fans, employees and players are proud to represent

2. ensure that the club is viable for the long term.

3. ensure that the coaching department and management are constantly striving to develop young boys into great young men. Our club has a duty of care like any organisation to its employees and to set standards for all to follow.

4. ensure that we are competitive in football strategy, development, implementation and execution year after year. ie we were a one team town and we needed to recruit for year after year rather then blips of success every ten years. Hence our recruitment of tradesmen in general vs marque players.....

As I reflect on the season so far we have most likely over achieved with the level of player talent we have vs other teams. I got a bit excited last week thinking we could beat Carlton..........then I realised wait a minute. We are playing a team that has 8 something draft picks under 10 !! and we are playing a team that is starting to peak in maturity and team balance and we are a team that has no where near the class of Carlton and we are adapting to living without a champion FF nor FB which would create serious pressure on the oppositions game plan.

Look at the difference yest of having a top class ruckman in Kruezer !! he was the biggest difference in mobility and effectiveness.

As one sits down and thinks about what our coaching department could do to beat a Carlton, Collingwood or Geelong etc it is a very difficult assignment.........

ie we dont have the players that can play fast break football week after week......nor can we just play a different game plan every week and expect a perfect result........we nullified their key players very well but that comes at a cost and that cost is we couldnt counter attack much at all.......most of our KPI's were steady but we simply didnt execute goals when we had the chance to.........now our coaching department can only do so much when Goodes, Reid, Mummy and mcGlynn missed easy ones at a critical stage of the game.

The ball from Reid to Bolton summed up the day for me..........Hawks, Carlton, Geelong, Pies dont miss those golden opportunities.......they make them stick as they have the experienced players to rely on week after week

I dont think we can change our general game plan given the player quality we have vs top 4teams..........against teams lower on the ladder we can tinker

our time will come just like it did in 2005/06 !!!.........but the minutes in the sun is a small reward in comparison to what we have week to week, year to year !

Jesse Richards
20th June 2011, 12:35 PM
Well said.

ScottH
20th June 2011, 01:17 PM
We do have a Class Ruckman. I fear he is underdone, or struggling with injury, as his 2011, is no where near his 2010.

Mumford is a shadow of the player he was last year.

Captain
20th June 2011, 01:19 PM
We do have a Class Ruckman. I fear he is underdone, or struggling with injury, as his 2011, is no where near his 2010.

Spot on. The fact he is given a free ticket into the side isn't helping.

As it stands, Seaby is in better form until proven otherwise.

sam7
20th June 2011, 01:22 PM
All great points- the swans have managed to rebuild without bottoming out- every club respects us and we are on the right track. No need to stress!

lainie
20th June 2011, 01:31 PM
You have put into words exactly how I think. I feel the coaches are"tinkering" as you say with the team to find out the best positions for the players and, as we have so many young players who knows where their best spot may be. I really think that in another year or so when we have a cohesive team that is working well together we will give all the others a run for their money.

Matimbo
20th June 2011, 01:48 PM
Agree entirely plus one other key objective ...

5. Have a viable plan to win a premiership

... doesn't have to be this year or even next, but there has to be a roadmap of development of individual players, team groups (defense, mid, etc.) and overall team structure consistent with the plan. The plan must be understood by all club player and mgt personnel so they all know their role at each stage of the roadmap. This is what Roos brought to the club and ultimately surprised even himself by reaching the goal a season early. I'm not hearing that Horse has this in place.

Matimbo
20th June 2011, 01:51 PM
Agree entirely plus one other key objective ...

5. Have a viable plan to win a premiership

... doesn't have to be this year or even next, but there has to be a roadmap of development of individual players, team groups (defense, mid, etc.) and overall team structure consistent with the plan. The plan must be understood by all club player and mgt personnel so they all know their role at each stage of the roadmap. This is what Roos brought to the club and ultimately surprised even himself by reaching the goal a season early. I'm not hearing that Horse has this in place and thus to me the changes he makes do seem like tinkering.

sfan
20th June 2011, 01:56 PM
What would you do if you were the coach? I think the backline is OK and can stand up to most teams if the midfield pressure holds. I think we have two problems.

If you look at Carlton they have 3 speed midfielders who are very offensive. We have none. Jack, Bird, Kennedy and Bolton etc are all defensive types who can play a role but do not break the lines and get the ball quickly into the forward line. We need to develop some pace there. Maybe Sumner or Jetta should rotate through there.

The forward line structure in the other problem. Given we have slow movement into the forward fifty we tend to score a lot of goals from stoppages. McGlynn is our leading goal kicker. Not going to trouble a lot of sides if that continues. I think White needs to come into the side at full forward (not in the ruck) and play 10 weeks. If he cant get 3-4 goals a week then he needs to be traded. We need to develop a forward line structure that can get 100 points most weeks if we are to be a serious contender.

Bas
20th June 2011, 02:06 PM
Well thought out Auntie. May the tinkering continue.

Just a matter of time before we start "playing that sweet melody of success" week after week.

swansrule100
20th June 2011, 02:07 PM
i think we are developing a list, we have had 2 retirements during the year dont forget. But at least longmire has given people a go, only 2 on the senior list yet to play. The future is bright i reckon

Triple B
20th June 2011, 03:16 PM
If you look at Carlton they have 3 speed midfielders who are very offensive. We have none. Jack, Bird, Kennedy and Bolton etc are all defensive types who can play a role but do not break the lines and get the ball quickly into the forward line.

Disagree on Jack. He can be very offensive (in a footballing sense), just a bit off the mark atm with injury. No argument on the others, although you need those types as much as the outside speedy types...

Auntie.Gerald
20th June 2011, 03:47 PM
I also think we can tend to suffer from information bias..................ie we look so closely at the Swans but rarely do we research other teams to the same degree nor agrue for an against on a forum so eagerly re other teams..............hence we are so influenced by Swans info vs other

tis fun though talking and reading swans at ones finger tipsc :)

nothing like a good distraction in life

PS - heard a funny little joke on the weekend

Q: If having three wives is polygamy, and having two wives is bigamy. What is having one wife called?

A: Monotony.

GoRhino
20th June 2011, 07:01 PM
Well thought through Auntie. Your statement "most of our KPI's were steady but we simply didnt execute goals when we had the chance to.........now our coaching department can only do so much when Goodes, Reid, Mummy and mcGlynn missed easy ones at a critical stage of the game." typifies part of the reason we will not be top four contenders this year. The top four sides have sides capable of kicking big scores. Had Bradshaw been our main avenue to goal, their would have been some structure to the forward line and we would have been thereabouts. Whilst Sam Reid goes from strength to strength, another hard leading, strong marking, mobile forward is essential to meet the most important of all KPI's - kicking a winning score.

Cheer Squad
20th June 2011, 07:32 PM

If he is carrying an injury - and I think he is - then we won't have to worry about it for the next couple of weeks anyway. That should give him plenty of time to rest and recover. But I fear he has a chronic injury that is not easy to fix.

dimelb
20th June 2011, 09:02 PM
If he is carrying an injury - and I think he is - then we won't have to worry about it for the next couple of weeks anyway. That should give him plenty of time to rest and recover. But I fear he has a chronic injury that is not easy to fix.
My concern too. I'm wondering if he needs not time but surgery.

Cheer Squad
20th June 2011, 09:09 PM
My concern too. I'm wondering if he needs not time but surgery.

Whatever the problem, ScottH is right, Mumford is not the player this year he was last year.

ScottH
21st June 2011, 08:46 AM
Hopefully this little break may give him some much needed rest and repair, to see out the rest of the year.
He'll be back for 3, get another weeks rest, then 5 more H&A games, plus finals.

Melbournehammer
21st June 2011, 10:56 AM
Hopefully this little break may give him some much needed rest and repair, to see out the rest of the year.
He'll be back for 3, get another weeks rest, then 5 more H&A games, plus finals.

I know I'm ever the pessimist but can we just concentrate on one week at a time. We have very few gimmes in the back half of the season (I can think of only one stand out certainty). We simply need our best available team to be on the park ready to play their absolute best.