PDA

View Full Version : Lone Sydney fan

bloodsbigot
26th June 2011, 04:56 AM
Someone give this guy a medal. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY10YYUCeCE

Bob Neil
26th June 2011, 09:47 AM
Good larf. Thank God for plastic beer cups.

stellation
26th June 2011, 10:13 AM
It was great when they showed that at the game, even Pies fans around us got a laugh from it. What's with the Collingwood joker getting up, putting a finger in his face then getting his hands on him?

Yuri H
26th June 2011, 10:55 AM
Gold star to that bloke!

Triple B
26th June 2011, 11:32 AM
That guy was actually sitting about 10 rows back and ran down to the fence to put on his show amongst the Pie Cheer Squad. About 10 minutes later there was a huge commotion and cheering down that end as the police/security dragged him over to have a word in his ear. I continued watching the game and heard some boos, so I guess the 'authorities' let him remain in his seat.

It was funny I guess and particularly brave/silly of him, but if it was a Pie fan deliberately inciting a reaction amongst the Swans Cheer Squad, I wonder if we all would think he was brilliant, or just another uncouth feral from pieland?

dimelb
26th June 2011, 12:13 PM
That guy was actually sitting about 10 rows back and ran down to the fence to put on his show amongst the Pie Cheer Squad. About 10 minutes later there was a huge commotion and cheering down that end as the police/security dragged him over to have a word in his ear. I continued watching the game and heard some boos, so I guess the 'authorities' let him remain in his seat.

It was funny I guess and particularly brave/silly of him, but if it was a Pie fan deliberately inciting a reaction amongst the Swans Cheer Squad, I wonder if we all would think he was brilliant, or just another uncouth feral from pieland?
He's our uncouth feral. That's different.

Triple B
26th June 2011, 12:26 PM
He's our uncouth feral. That's different.

Hehehe, guess so.

Melbourne_Blood
26th June 2011, 12:28 PM
haha, that guy is a legend!

Captain
26th June 2011, 12:33 PM
I liked the fact he stirred things up.

The worst thing about following the Swans is our Sydney supporters (the Melbourne ones are great). There is such a lack of passion, chanting, banter etc. There is also this whole moral high ground thing creeping in where we are critical of an umpire who gives us a soft free, not booing past players or turning on those who yell out 'ball' on a 50:50 call in the hope of influencing the umpire.

A Collingwood chant going up around the ground was embarrassing. They may be feral, however at least they are loud and can support their team. They are even far better organised at getting a simple chant going. We seem to have the clap clap clap bit down pat, but when it comes to yelling out "Sydney", there is @@@@ all.

Obviously Sydney is a fickle market and maybe it needs to start within the cheer squad? I know at the moment it is looked upon as a collection of society's rejects. This must change.

A home game in Sydney is far from a fortress.

Go Swannies
26th June 2011, 01:00 PM
I was feeling feral too but mainly because the Swans area at Bay 105 had a lot of Pies supporters in it. They were bagging everything and cheering each mighty Pie. My sportsmanship slipped a bit as I started yelling things like "Good thing you brought your own umps" and (to Krakoer) "I thought you were in gaol?" Got some chants going and it was keen that Swans fans were just looking for a lead - where was Peter? Not proud in the cold light of day but fun at the time. I loved how quiet the Pies fans got when we hit the front in Q4.

Captain
26th June 2011, 01:04 PM
I was feeling feral too but mainly because the Swans area at Bay 105 had a lot of Pies supporters in it. They were bagging everything and cheering each mighty Pie. My sportsmanship slipped a bit as I started yelling things like "Good thing you brought your own umps" and (to Krakoer) "I thought you were in gaol?" Got some chants going and it was keen that Swans fans were just looking for a lead - where was Peter? Not proud in the cold light of day but fun at the time. I loved how quiet the Pies fans got when we hit the front in Q4.

But that is what support is about. We do miss JF and Hatley.

Cpt. Kirk
26th June 2011, 01:32 PM

The worst thing about following the Swans is our Sydney supporters (the Melbourne ones are great). There is such a lack of passion, chanting, banter etc. There is also this whole moral high ground thing creeping in where we are critical of an umpire who gives us a soft free, not booing past players or turning on those who yell out 'ball' on a 50:50 call in the hope of influencing the umpire.

A Collingwood chant going up around the ground was embarrassing. They may be feral, however at least they are loud and can support their team. They are even far better organised at getting a simple chant going. We seem to have the clap clap clap bit down pat, but when it comes to yelling out "Sydney", there is @@@@ all.

Obviously Sydney is a fickle market and maybe it needs to start within the cheer squad? I know at the moment it is looked upon as a collection of society's rejects. This must change.

I fully disagree with this, several times during the game i heard loud sydney chants, there was a game this year against west coast at subi and all you could hear in the last 5 mins were the 50 sydney supporters who were there chanting sydney, I went to the melbourne game this year where the swans fans were just as vocal as the home sides melbourne.

monopoly19
26th June 2011, 01:36 PM

This entire post is just :rolleyes:

mcs
26th June 2011, 01:51 PM

I completely disagree with your assertion that the Melbourne based fans are well in front of Sydney based fans. I've been to Rd 1 against Melbourne and Carlton last week as well as the usual selection of home games in Sydney and away at Subiaco as well against WCE. I certainly haven't felt that there is a lack of passion, chanting banter etc at the home games compared to the matches in Melbourne. To be honest, the Swans fans that gave the best effort I've heard so far this year was the 500 or so at the Wet Coke game. Atmosphere was electric and everyone spent the night right behind the team and I think really did help get us over the line. Certainly the best slow Sydney chant I've heard for a long while went up in the last couple of minutes of the game.

Kirkari
26th June 2011, 02:37 PM

Agree and disagree...

I love taking the moral high ground. I don't really criticise an ump for giving us a soft free, but on the occasions it happens, I do have a laugh and say something like - I don't know what that was for, but we'll take it. And sometimes you just have to admire the play of certain gifted opposition players, as in "Jeez he's good.", but it hurts.

Why would I want to boo a past player?

But as for fans turning on other fans calling a hopeful "ball", or similarly robust support, is very disappointing. Maybe I'm biased since I'm often the person getting requests to stop that goddamn whistling/screaming/chanting, but if you want a nice, calm, even-handed game-watching experience you should watch at home.

Melbourne fans ARE pretty awesome, but they have more exposure to how it's done by other teams on their home turf. That said, when the Sydney based fans get going, we're pretty awesome too.

I was totally with you in being infuriated and dismayed when that massive, slow Collingwood cheer went around the ground and we had nothing in return. (At the Pies game I went to at Etihad they actually cheat and play a background cheer over the PA system, but I'm pretty sure that was all live fans last night.) As the poor gentleman sitting in front of me would be able to attest... I completely destroyed one of those clappers with my "clap, clap, clap" efforts, pretty much in his ear, but I also destroyed my throat screaming "Sydney"! We had some English ring-ins with us, and they are champion cheerers. I think we need to convert more Poms to the game and put them in charge of the cheer squad.

It's a critical mass thing. Once there are enough people cheering, the shy ones will join in too...

stellation
26th June 2011, 03:10 PM

NARFS, NARFS everywhere and not a crowd to sing.

JF_Bay22_SCG
26th June 2011, 03:52 PM
I completely disagree with your assertion that the Melbourne based fans are well in front of Sydney based fans. I've been to Rd 1 against Melbourne and Carlton last week as well as the usual selection of home games in Sydney and away at Subiaco as well against WCE. I certainly haven't felt that there is a lack of passion, chanting banter etc at the home games compared to the matches in Melbourne. To be honest, the Swans fans that gave the best effort I've heard so far this year was the 500 or so at the Wet Coke game. Atmosphere was electric and everyone spent the night right behind the team and I think really did help get us over the line. Certainly the best slow Sydney chant I've heard for a long while went up in the last couple of minutes of the game.

Our Perth supporters are some of the best & most loyal fans we have. As somebody who organises the support when I can afford to go over, Perth is actually the easiest away trip to organise. Just a shame that they have 1m flag limits making getting decent sided flags in near impossible.

Once again we have people saying the support has to improve. Once again we have people saying it has to start with the cheer squad. But who is offering to help? Who is prepared to help Alex get chants going? NONE of you, that's who. It is all & well saying things have to get better. Talk is very very cheap peoples!

I'm pleased I don't have to deal any more with the sniggers I got from the white collar chattering women who used to sit in 118-119 at Homebush. I tried to start chants & got patronising :rolleyes: from many of them game after game year after year. At the Freo prelim final in 06 we got outsung by 100 travelling Freo fans FFS!

The frustrating thing is that against Carlton in the semi final the chanting was better than anything anywhere else in the AFL. I started chants in 119 and nearly EVERYONE was not only joining in, but was actually standing & using their clappers in time. It was totally mental! Why are things so inconsistent in Sydney?!

Watch for the game in Adelaide next week. Not only will we have all the big flags flying, you will hear the chants & songs as loud as day. Us being there will actually get the Crows people going as well.

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
26th June 2011, 04:01 PM
Agree and disagree...
I completely destroyed one of those clappers with my "clap, clap, clap" efforts, pretty much in his ear, but I also destroyed my throat screaming "Sydney"! We had some English ring-ins with us, and they are champion cheerers. I think we need to convert more Poms to the game and put them in charge of the cheer squad.

We brought in a drum. The AFL banned it.
We wave big flags. The AFL Cheer Squads league has tried everything under the sun to get them banned, and have failed
We tried to sing Barmy Army style songs in the Cheer Squad. I had a member of the Sydney club office ringing up to have a go at me, threatening me with cancelling my membership.

When I can do all of these things at Melbourne Storm games & none at the AFL, you wonder why I am somewhat disillusioned with being an active supporter in the AFL any more. Me and one of my friends from Port Adelaide Cheer Squad have started a Facebook group to try and encourage the dying art of active support. Participants are more than welcome to join us.
Incompatible Browser | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/BringBackTheAtmosphereToAFLGames)

Meanwhile when Sydney FC play in the A-League, we get support like this! (And you wonder why I'm football first these days. I get this every week!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CG1G8IiYw

JF

Cardinal
26th June 2011, 04:40 PM
Can you stop waving that flag, I didn't come to footy to have my view of the umpire running the ball back to the cente square obscured. And stop being so loud.

Kirkari
26th June 2011, 05:10 PM
Just to clarify - when I said put the Poms in charge of the cheer squad, I actually didn't mean to refer to the Cheer Squad. I probably should have just said the cheers - around the ground, amongst the general fans...

mcs
26th June 2011, 05:20 PM
Just to clarify - when I said put the Poms in charge of the cheer squad, I actually didn't mean to refer to the Cheer Squad. I probably should have just said the cheers - around the ground, amongst the general fans...

As someone that has gone to more than a fair share of premier league games over there, the Poms certainly know how to cheer their teams on! When you have a tight, tough match with a lot on the line, its just 90 minutes of cheering from both sets of supporters with fantastic chants, songs and just supporting the team to the hilt. It really is an experience in itself when its good. but like here, some games I went to there was just absolutely no atmosphere.

The Germans are also pretty crazy as well - I suggest we recruit a few of them as well!

JF_Bay22_SCG
26th June 2011, 06:05 PM
Can you stop waving that flag, I didn't come to footy to have my view of the umpire running the ball back to the cente square obscured. And stop being so loud.

"Down in front will ya! I can't see!" :p

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
26th June 2011, 06:07 PM
The Germans are also pretty crazy as well - I suggest we recruit a few of them as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHas38WdhP0

How about this for size?!

JF :cool:

mcs
26th June 2011, 06:10 PM

That's what I'm talking about- even the Pies dorks would be intimidated by that!

stellation
26th June 2011, 06:16 PM
I like to go to the football to watch the football, I happily cheer in whatever way I like and must admit I'm relatively indifferent to how others cheer- my main interest in performance is that of the players, secondary is that of the pie warmers. It works well.

Lucky Knickers
26th June 2011, 07:03 PM
That German one makes me sea sick. Can we not?

stellation
26th June 2011, 07:05 PM
That German one makes me sea sick. Can we not?

So first it's "oh, I'm in a VW and I'm having the time of my life" and then it's "oh, no Germans please"!?!?!?!? WOMEN!

Lucky Knickers
26th June 2011, 07:10 PM
So first it's "oh, I'm in a VW and I'm having the time of my life" and then it's "oh, no Germans please"!?!?!?!? WOMEN!
:D Stella Stella Stella!

Rod_
26th June 2011, 07:33 PM
I was sitting near a bloke (pies supporter) that said. that is a silly man. We knife our own, and I believed him!

Rod_

Captain
26th June 2011, 08:56 PM
I fully disagree with this, several times during the game i heard loud sydney chants, there was a game this year against west coast at subi and all you could hear in the last 5 mins were the 50 sydney supporters who were there chanting sydney, I went to the melbourne game this year where the swans fans were just as vocal as the home sides melbourne.

The support in WA is amazing. No argument here. Re read my posts and I mention that every time I'm there.

Last night the Collingwood chant was better and louder then anything we have.

Captain
26th June 2011, 09:10 PM
This entire post is just :rolleyes:

Thanks, good contribution.

Cardinal
27th June 2011, 12:28 AM
I'm looking forward to the Crow's game. Expecting to be loud, brash and hopefully in front by a packet. If the small number of Swan's fans can't rile up some Adelaidians in the name of atmosphere I'll be very surprised

Bloody Hell
27th June 2011, 04:57 AM
That's what I'm talking about- even the Pies dorks would be intimidated by that!

As someone who works in the construction industry all that does is scare me.

There's a reason army's break march when they come to a bridge.

Yuri H
27th June 2011, 10:47 AM
We brought in a drum. The AFL banned it.
We wave big flags. The AFL Cheer Squads league has tried everything under the sun to get them banned, and have failed
We tried to sing Barmy Army style songs in the Cheer Squad. I had a member of the Sydney club office ringing up to have a go at me, threatening me with cancelling my membership.

Boooo! All of the above sounds fun. About the only enjoyment I got from the one cricket match I ever attended was watching/listening to the Barmy Army. I'd love to see a Swans equivalent serenading the opposition.

dimelb
27th June 2011, 12:21 PM
... We tried to sing Barmy Army style songs in the Cheer Squad. I had a member of the Sydney club office ringing up to have a go at me, threatening me with cancelling my membership.
... JF
Now that is not just bureaucracy gone barmy, that is Big Brother. Unnecessary, unwanted and downright officious.

Sauce
27th June 2011, 12:36 PM

Sydney fans are a big bore and it irritates me a lot. You cannot do anything at a swans game without some pompous @@@@@ covered in head to toe in expensive exclusive swans garb (you know the tartan scarf a few years ago or some wanky looking polo) give you a death stare or telling you to shut up.

And don't get me started on the stupid attitude of being all conservative and boring in not yelling out things at the footy because we are not "like them"

And the pies stole OUR chant and have run with it to the point people think THEY started it..well i don't blame them as when they get it going they are loud..sydney fans start 3 bars of it and then are over it..or they just act all moral and don't participate because only ferals show passion!

Sauce
27th June 2011, 12:39 PM

OHS will have a field day. Security as well kicking out the supporters.

Just face facts, australians don't like carnival atmosphere at sporting events. It gets in the way of their chatting about work, mortages and their kids awesomeness during the actual game.

jono2707
27th June 2011, 02:21 PM
Sydney fans are a big bore and it irritates me a lot. You cannot do anything at a swans game without some pompous @@@@@ covered in head to toe in expensive exclusive swans garb (you know the tartan scarf a few years ago or some wanky looking polo) give you a death stare or telling you to shut up.

And don't get me started on the stupid attitude of being all conservative and boring in not yelling out things at the footy because we are not "like them"

And the pies stole OUR chant and have run with it to the point people think THEY started it..well i don't blame them as when they get it going they are loud..sydney fans start 3 bars of it and then are over it..or they just act all moral and don't participate because only ferals show passion!

Sorry but please don't generalise - I take these posts personally. I would yell at you but I am still hoarse from all that yelling nearly 48 hours later. Whilst I don't agree with acting like a complete feral, I, like many around me at both the SCG and Homebush, am an active participant in the game. If you don't like the people you sit with I would suggest that you move and sit with people who are knowledgeable, passionate and vocal in their support. We do exist I can assure you.

And WTF about the "expensive exclusive Swans garb"? Sorry last time I was in Louis Vuitton they still did not stock any Swans gear whatsover, so I was left to purchase my supporter gear at the game, or online, or at Rebel Sport like everybody else. I like the tartan scarves too, although my 20-year old beer and pie stained scarf is still soldiering on....

Big Al
27th June 2011, 02:39 PM
OHS will have a field day. Security as well kicking out the supporters.

Just face facts, australians don't like carnival atmosphere at sporting events. It gets in the way of their chatting about work, mortages and their kids awesomeness during the actual game.

Love people who stereotype. :rolleyes:

If that's your experience at Swans games then my suggestion to you is to...

MOVE

People here will attest I'm reasonably loud at games and in all my years I've only had one incident of someone objecting to my cheering. Mum hasn't been to a game since...:D

Big Al
27th June 2011, 02:40 PM
Sorry but please don't generalise - I take these posts personally. I would yell at you but I am still hoarse from all that yelling nearly 48 hours later. Whilst I don't agree with acting like a complete feral, I, like many around me at both the SCG and Homebush, am an active participant in the game. If you don't like the people you sit with I would suggest that you move and sit with people who are knowledgeable, passionate and vocal in their support. We do exist I can assure you.

And WTF about the "expensive exclusive Swans garb"? Sorry last time I was in Louis Vuitton they still did not stock any Swans gear whatsover, so I was left to purchase my supporter gear at the game, or online, or at Rebel Sport like everybody else. I like the tartan scarves too, although my 20-year old beer and pie stained scarf is still soldiering on....

Sorry Jono... I didn't see this. I sort of stepped on your point a bit. Still, great minds and all that.

CJK
27th June 2011, 02:50 PM
Who wants to cheer for three hours straight? Not me.

Go Swannies
27th June 2011, 03:08 PM

I look forward to when it's warranted. Then I'll be loud and proud and happy.

jono2707
27th June 2011, 03:40 PM
Sorry Jono... I didn't see this. I sort of stepped on your point a bit. Still, great minds and all that.

Great minds indeed.... :)

I'm just nicking off to Gucci to buy a new scarf....

erica
27th June 2011, 03:44 PM

There's Gucci scarf? It will coordinate so well with my bling....

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th June 2011, 04:17 PM
I'm looking forward to the Crow's game. Expecting to be loud, brash and hopefully in front by a packet. If the small number of Swan's fans can't rile up some Adelaidians in the name of atmosphere I'll be very surprised

South Australians are BY FAR the easiest to wind up. They are very very insecure about their place in the world & often can't handle people bagging them or their state. The Crows as a state team are far worse than Port normally, who follow a club not an excuse for South Australians to be proud of themselves for 5 minutes.

Then again, security in Adelaide march us out of Football Park for a reason as well. Adelaide is the only place where away fans are often asked to wait in the ground until the home fans have gone.

JF

Triple B
27th June 2011, 04:19 PM
Adelaide is the only place where away fans are often asked to wait in the ground until the home fans have gone.

JF

If things go to plan this week, you won't need to stay back very long, most will be gone by 3/4 time...

Sauce
27th June 2011, 04:20 PM
South Australians are BY FAR the easiest to wind up. They are very very insecure about their place in the world & often can't handle people bagging them or their state.

JF

Wouldnt you have a complex too if you were constantly bagged all the time by victorians of all people!

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th June 2011, 04:31 PM

You deserve a beer when I get up for a game. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Captain's comments about the Cheer Squad being the cheer squad being social rejects have gone down like a lead balloon. Several people spend hours & hours of their time doing things like making banners and shells etc etc. It is so easy to come out & say that the cheer squad are feral when on the whole that is simply not the case. Most of the Cheer Squad are working professionals who balance their jobs with their commitment to the club. Many sacrifice a great deal of time making banners, often having to make banners for club sponsors or functions. We have had several games in wet weather. People have had to come in during the week on their own time to get the flags & patties so they don't get mouldy. All this after a demoralising loss. Does anything thank them for this, or even understand the efforts some people put in?

It is just so easy to sit back with a beer in your hand & say "the cheer squad are @@@@. The chanting is so quiet". But what is each & every one of you doing to improve the atmosphere? Or do you only about YOURSELVES & YOUR little world?

The frustrating thing is that if people are motivated the Sydney crowd can make THE BEST ATMOSPHERE IN THE COMPETITION, as shown by the Lions Prelim final 2003 & the Carlton final last year. Having said that, the 'greater than thou' snobbery you get from too many Swans fans in Sydney is something I do not miss. Support shouldn't be conditional, but sadly to most people it appears just that.

JF

ScottH
27th June 2011, 04:41 PM
Not sure if that is what Captain said.

Sauce
27th June 2011, 04:41 PM
You deserve a beer when I get up for a game. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Captain's comments about the Cheer Squad being the cheer squad being social rejects have gone down like a lead balloon. Several people spend hours & hours of their time doing things like making banners and shells etc etc. It is so easy to come out & say that the cheer squad are feral when on the whole that is simply not the case. Most of the Cheer Squad are working professionals who balance their jobs with their commitment to the club. Many sacrifice a great deal of time making banners, often having to make banners for club sponsors or functions. We have had several games in wet weather. People have had to come in during the week on their own time to get the flags & patties so they don't get mouldy. All this after a demoralising loss. Does anything thank them for this, or even understand the efforts some people put in?

It is just so easy to sit back with a beer in your hand & say "the cheer squad are @@@@. The chanting is so quiet". But what is each & every one of you doing to improve the atmosphere? Or do you only about YOURSELVES & YOUR little world?

The frustrating thing is that if people are motivated the Sydney crowd can make THE BEST ATMOSPHERE IN THE COMPETITION, as shown by the Lions Prelim final 2003 & the Carlton final last year. Having said that, the 'greater than thou' snobbery you get from too many Swans fans in Sydney is something I do not miss. Support shouldn't be conditional, but sadly to most people it appears just that.

JF

JF you come from a European soccer background and the type of passion and noise you are trying to generate will never translate here. Never. We are for most part contrived when it comes to atmosphere in sport. Sure you get the "blah blah chant chant chant" but even that is frowned upon by most aussies who condemn any kind of passionate cheering outside the scope of "blah bah blah clap clap clap"

It's just not in our culture at all.

And i'll be careful if i were you, by agreeing with me you have just sided with the enemy if you take the behaviour of a few here today.

Yuri H
27th June 2011, 04:47 PM
But what is each & every one of you doing to improve the atmosphere?

I still like the Barmy Army idea (Swahhhhny Ahhhmy? OK, it's Monday, my creativity is asleep). Though granted I sit pretty much by myself and am an introvert, so I wouldn't be the best at getting the crowd around me up and going. But if we get enough plants in the crowd at various points, maybe armed with extra lyric sheets, and armed with mobiles text each other at the time to start something up ... even security or Membership or whoever menaced you couldn't threaten everyone could they?

... OK, the above scheme is a little complex and Masonic. Like I said: it's Monday. I'll have a better less-Get-Smart scheme maybe Wednesday or so ...

Sauce
27th June 2011, 04:54 PM
You could hear the soccer style chants last weekend during the Carlton game. It sounded really good and different from the usual bore.

I felt embarrassed on the weekend when the collingwood chant went up..it was like their home ground.

CJK
27th June 2011, 05:17 PM
Cheer Squad members are BY FAR the easiest to wind up. They are very very insecure about their place in the world & often can't handle people bagging them

Fixed

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th June 2011, 06:47 PM

Those with true style realise that it is Burberry or nothing.

http://www.c2coffer.com/data/pic/20101113/source_img/_S_1289629913447.jpg

JF :cool::p

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th June 2011, 06:49 PM
Fixed

Buddy, get back to me when you get a clue. :rolleyes:

The Swans are losing & in Sydney it is always the Cheer Squad's fault. :rolleyes:

JF:rolleyes:

Captain
27th June 2011, 07:05 PM

JF

WTF???

I described how I felt the cheer squad is looked upon. Not the way I felt.

Learn to read buddy, then get back to me.

Captain
27th June 2011, 07:06 PM
Not sure if that is what Captain said.

Thanks Scott.

Some people get hot under the collar and assume things that they imagine are there.

Primmy
27th June 2011, 08:17 PM
I'll let you know how things go amongst the cheerers in Adelaide. Me and my mate are going (I am wearing my red pashmina silk scarf) and we are going to be with two passionate Adelaide supporters. No matter what, two of us are going to be like thunder after the game. Should be fun!

Triple B
27th June 2011, 08:24 PM
No matter what, two of us are going to be like thunder after the game. Should be fun!

That airline food will do it every time....

supersall
27th June 2011, 08:44 PM
I went to a Collingwood Swans game at the MCG a couple of years ago with my daughter. We were sooooooo annoying that when we lost (as we so often do against the pies), the whole section of the crowd we were in got up, turned around, and sang their stupid song at us. So proud!
There are lots around at the games that get it all going at the ground, don't be too harsh on the supporters that are there, maybe you should bag out the ones who didn't turn up at all. Only 33,000 or so, and a good 30-40% were wearing black and white. To those of you stayed in to watch (and not those that really couldn't make it), mabes you could come along and help us out here.

p.s The reason we don't chant like the Europeans is that our game is exciting, and soccer is so boring. What else is there to do but make up a cheer or 2
p.p.s can handle the latte sipping, burbury wearing, frowny faced swannies crew, it's the supporters who sit there and bag their own at every opportunity that really get me. If you can do it better, go out and win your own bloody Brownlows

Damien
27th June 2011, 09:00 PM

Yep, I am sick of the home crowd in Sydney. Get a bit excited and OUR fans give you a look.

On Saturday night, myself and a few others were getting way to into the game and basically going off our nuts for most of the 2nd half, NO SWANS FANS around us (Aisle 129) were doing anything except stare at us when we made a stupid comment or whatever. So annoying, when I go to any game in Melbourne, I watch fans go berserk and let loose. I'm not talking swearing here or whatever, but just showing some fair dinkum out of control passion.

Generally pretty OK in the O'Reily stand (moved from the Conservative upper Brewongle a few years ago ahaha)

Ahhh, anyway what can ya do! Just wish I felt like I was at the footy sometimes and not some conservative piano recital.

Kirkari
27th June 2011, 09:13 PM
I went to a Collingwood Swans game at the MCG a couple of years ago with my daughter. We were sooooooo annoying that when we lost (as we so often do against the pies), the whole section of the crowd we were in got up, turned around, and sang their stupid song at us. So proud!
p.s The reason we don't chant like the Europeans is that our game is exciting, and soccer is so boring. What else is there to do but make up a cheer or 2
p.p.s can handle the latte sipping, burbury wearing, frowny faced swannies crew, it's the supporters who sit there and bag their own at every opportunity that really get me. If you can do it better, go out and win your own bloody Brownlows

Good work on the first part - you know you've been supporting properly when the opposition finds it necessary to give you something back.

Your PS - good point, and I do like that we shut up and watch when there's action, but would love to see (hear) a lot more after goals, at throw ins, etc., especially when we're NOT going so well and the players could do with a bit of a lift.

Your PPS - "If you can do it better, go out and win your own bloody Brownlows." Too funny.

Sauce
27th June 2011, 09:19 PM
Futbol is a game of patience and skill. Though I can see why ADD AFL fans call it boring.

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th June 2011, 09:59 PM
WTF???

I described how I felt the cheer squad is looked upon. Not the way I felt.

Learn to read buddy, then get back to me.

I must apologise wholeheartedly if that is what you meant. :o

JF :(

Big Al
27th June 2011, 10:06 PM

Your a class act JF... Not many people have the guts to apologize when they're wrong. (clap)

It's not something I've ever needed to do. When you're right all the time there really isn't a need. ;) :)

Cardinal
27th June 2011, 10:16 PM
If things go to plan this week, you won't need to stay back very long, most will be gone by 3/4 time...

I hope so - I think the away fans are normally asked to stay behind because it takes so long to catch a bus back into town.

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th June 2011, 10:21 PM

How can I have an argument with somebody who is so ill-informed? I'm more into football BACAUSE I am allowed to support in ways that are simply impossible in the AFL any more. Nothing is sanitised. I'm allowed to be an adult & support in an adult fashion, without people giving me patronising looks.

Yes, Australian Rules is generally a faster game, so songs & chants cannot be horribly long or complicated. But this doesn't stop fans at SANFL level from singing their heads off every week. If fans in the SANFL can be creative & DIFFERENT, why can't we be in the AFL as well?
http://youtu.be/ZhK2UV9TWnI

Sadly the sanitised corporate product the AFL wants to present to sponsors has meant that Cheer Squads are very very tame imitations of what they once were. Banners are censored to the point of them being little more than advertising tools. The wit & banter of yesteryear are seen as offensive to clubs paranoid of their 'brand'. The Melbourne Squad made a banner after our finals win against Port in 03 when we came to visit the next season that said "Remember September, we're BAAAAAAAAAAACK!" The crowd didn't like it & booed like crazy when we came out. Worst of all we got taken to town by the club CEO saying that was one of the most disgraceful things he had ever seen. I'm like "WTF, that banner was heaps awesome. It stirred up all the Port ferals" !?

But this digresses from my point, Sydney Swans fans CAN create the best atmosphere in the comp, as we did against Carlton in the final last year. So we must definitely are capable of creating atmosphere when we want to.

JF

JF

Kirkari
27th June 2011, 10:35 PM
Futbol is a game of patience and skill. Though I can see why ADD AFL fans call it boring.

So is chess. Because we're right?

Sauce
27th June 2011, 10:38 PM
Because we're right?

Hardly.

Each to their own I guess.

Captain
27th June 2011, 10:53 PM

Appreciate it.

I think you will also find we have reasonably similar views on this whole topic.

Captain
27th June 2011, 10:57 PM
Ahhh, anyway what can ya do! Just wish I felt like I was at the footy sometimes and not some conservative piano recital.

Spot on. My feelings too Damien.

sharp9
28th June 2011, 06:42 AM
Just to confirm...the reason soccer fans chant so much is that that is the only way to really create atmosphere as so little happens worth actually cheering about! (Played soccer for 15 years to a pretty high level, BTW...brilliant to play, but....)

Anyhoo - did anyone notice the Eagles fans give the chant near the end of the Carlton game at Etihad. Not that you can blame them, sheesh what a win. Unlike our performance, every time Judd or Murphy got the ball they were swamped and often coughed it up. Oh for some midfield defence like that from the swans!

Lastly - does anyone know for sure when the "Sydney" chant started? I recall the Bombers prelim....but before that? And, more importantly were we the first in the AFL to use that distinctive, slow down a minor third call?

erica
28th June 2011, 07:38 AM
Lastly - does anyone know for sure when the "Sydney" chant started? I recall the Bombers prelim....but before that? And, more importantly were we the first in the AFL to use that distinctive, slow down a minor third call?

Round 22 in 1996 versus West Coast at the SCG. I'll never forget the way the hairs on the back of my neck stood up! Amazing experience.

Big Al
28th June 2011, 08:37 AM
Round 22 in 1996 versus West Coast at the SCG. I'll never forget the way the hairs on the back of my neck stood up! Amazing experience.

One of the greatest nights in Swans history. It's a moment that should be at some time included in the Hall of Fame imo.

Primmy
28th June 2011, 09:01 AM
Can confirm categorically it was R22 1996 against Crows, SCG, in a minor cyclone. Definite HOF.

ScottH
28th June 2011, 09:05 AM
Can confirm categorically it was R22 1996 against Crows, SCG, in a minor cyclone. Definite HOF.

Weagles, my dear!!

stellation
28th June 2011, 09:10 AM
Weagles, my dear!!

They were more scavengers than birds of prey that day.

GongSwan
28th June 2011, 03:28 PM
Definitely the weagles, I don't recall it from the Essendon prelim, then again I don't remember a lot of that night, not because I was drunk, just off my nut screaming at the Bombers fans surrounding me, I had the expensive tickets)

Primmy
28th June 2011, 05:16 PM
That's what I said, West Coast, its this bloody awful spell check you got here Scott! One of my favourite quarters. Never got so wet! Or so happy to be so.

Wardy
28th June 2011, 07:25 PM
Well I was with friends in the ANZ Gold members on Saturday night (one of whom was a north supporter )- and we were going off, no one scoffed at us and as a result -I lost the voice completly - so please dont brand us all boring and quite because we simply aren't. ON the other hand if other poeple want to just sit and watch the game quietly then so be it - its a free world (well at the moment it is)

Doctor
28th June 2011, 09:28 PM
I'm a bit torn on this one. I've read the 7 pages and have taken everyone's views on board. I reckon there are a few things at play here, but primarily I think many Swans fans are intimidated by Collingwood's supporters. Most posts here about the atmosphere have referred to the Collingwood game though and I reckon it's hard to get into it when everything you say could result in three Pies fans having a go back at you almost immediately. Fans of most other clubs accept that you can have a go and so can they without it resulting in an argument but Pies fans won't do that. I watched the game from the Swans members' bar on Saturday partly so I could have proper beer, but mainly because I thought I could cheer us on without getting into an argument, like I do ever year we play them because I won't back down when their fans have a go at me or our team. Sure enough, I had a go at Cloke for one of his easy misses and some young Pies fan wants to bring up how many he's kicked tonight. Why the hell are Pies fans in a Swans members' bar? Why do they have to argue about everything? Why can't they just let me support my own team in a drunken, biased fashion like they all do? I'm not gonna have a go at them, I'll just let them have at it as long as they do the same.

There have been plenty of games where the atmosphere has been incredible, and though we have probably all had our experiences with "soft" supporters telling us to sanitise our barracking, I suspect most clubs have the same. The semi against Carlton last year was incredible for atmosphere, and who can forget the Cats game in 05? But I'd say most of us don't go to the game to get into an argument so we tend to keep quiet to save antagonising them. They get into every supporter area, even those of Swans members, so what hope have we got?

As I take children, who are mad keen fans too, all I ask is that fans keep the language clean. Anything and anyone else, apart from the racist stuff of course, is fair game, including creative, witty, (implied) smutty and other remarks. Singing is always encouraged!

Bas
28th June 2011, 09:39 PM

I agree. I leave that sort of thing to the bedroom ! :D

Bas
28th June 2011, 09:46 PM
Where did the Lone Sydney fan go?

Hi Ho Silver, away????????

laughingnome
29th June 2011, 06:20 PM

Eagles, Rd 22, 1996 SCG.

And yes. My rugby friends tell me it's a League thing, and it transcended into the AFL that night. To me that fact makes that night all the more special, as it marks a point where the Streets of Sydney accepted the Swans as one of their own and called it as such: One of Us, no longer a Melbourne Transplant.

Big Al
29th June 2011, 06:39 PM
Eagles, Rd 22, 1996 SCG.

And yes. My rugby friends tell me it's a League thing, and it transcended into the AFL that night. To me that fact makes that night all the more special, as it marks a point where the Streets of Sydney accepted the Swans as one of their own and called it as such: One of Us, no longer a Melbourne Transplant.

I have never heard that style of chant at a League game and I grew up on the sport. Might have been a pre 70's thing.

Bas
29th June 2011, 06:48 PM
I doubt it was ever done in rugby league and who went to domestic rugby games in the 60s, 70s and 80s to have enough numbers to do that? Well that part hasn't changed.

Rugby in England or NZ but not here.

It would have to have been inspired from the siccer.

Where else do you wail when there's nothing to do?

Sauce
29th June 2011, 06:51 PM
Where else do you wail when there's nothing to do?

cricket.

Cardinal
29th June 2011, 09:25 PM
Pretty sure I heard the Weagles use a similar type chant at the Carlton game the other day

bloodsbigot
30th June 2011, 05:33 AM
Eagles, Rd 22, 1996 SCG.

The swans were definitely the team that popularized it in the AFL, but I'm afraid we weren't the first.

Check out 2:30 in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Eq051tZvw

A slow 'eagles' chant can be clearly heard in the background.

Triple B
30th June 2011, 07:43 AM
The slow chant has quickened up a bit over the years though.

My recollection of that night in '96 was that we held both the 'Syd' and the 'ney' for a much longer time than the typical slow chant circa 2011.

Untamed Snark
30th June 2011, 09:43 AM
The slow chant has quickened up a bit over the years though.

My recollection of that night in '96 was that we held both the 'Syd' and the 'ney' for a much longer time than the typical slow chant circa 2011.

Our attention spans are shorter now days