PDA

View Full Version : A strong July ahead?

top40
26th June 2011, 09:52 AM
Like all Swans supporters I have my hopes ahead for an undefeated period for the calender month of July, leaving them with the second bye, on 11 wins 5 losses and a draw.

Adelaide Away. Until last year a real boogie side for the Swans. That great victory early last season where Ben McGlynn starred, threw away the stigma. This season, the Crows are playing poorly and the Swans are traveling well. Should be OK.

Gold Coast Away. Sydney's biggest danger here is over-confidence. The Swans must avoid being the first visiting team to lose at Carrara. Don't be be surprised that the first half is particularly tough. Sydney's greater experience and body strength should prevail in the second half.

Fremantle Home. The Dockers were at their peak last year when they won their first game in Sydney for over 14 years. They have slipped since then, and the Swans have marginally improved. Sydney will need a match fit Mummy back however, (along with an in-form Seaby), to match Sandilands.

Bulldogs Home. Their last three games, (including the narrow semi final loss at the MCG), point to a pendulum swing back to Sydney. My hope is that the Dogs are not completetely out of the running for the 8, whereupon they might be more relaxed than the Swans.

Moving into August/September, realistically, the only game that Sydney has no chance is Geelong at the Cattery. Consequently, up to four more wins are foreseeable.

ugg
26th June 2011, 10:07 AM
With Freo, Sandilands has re-injured his toe and if it's as bad as it was the first time round he will miss 4 weeks which would see him miss the fame against us. They are such a different team without him - I reckon they drop from top 4 chances to fringe of the top 8

Triple B
26th June 2011, 10:25 AM
Adelaide Away. Until last year a real boogie side for the Swans......

Because we hadn't beaten them since the 70's ??

Big Al
26th June 2011, 10:34 AM
Because we hadn't beaten them since the 70's ??

Rock on dude...

Cheer Squad
26th June 2011, 11:32 AM
Moving into August/September, realistically, the only game that Sydney has no chance is Geelong at the Cattery.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Didn't we go through this kind of thinking before the Collingwood game? And look what happened last night - we ended up kicking more goals than them.

Attitude is everything. I prefer to see Round 23 as an opportunity to get our first win at the Cattery since 1999.

Triple B
26th June 2011, 11:36 AM
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Didn't we go through this kind of thinking before the Collingwood game? And look what happened last night - we ended up kicking more goals than them.

Attitude is everything. I prefer to see Round 23 as an opportunity to get our first win at the Cattery since 1999.

You tipped us to lose against Melbourne, Essendon and West Coast in the first 3 rounds, now you are taking people to task for not tipping us to beat Collingwood and the Cats at sleepy hollow.

Go figure...

teddys mum
26th June 2011, 11:39 AM
Swans will win 6 of the next 9

Cheer Squad
26th June 2011, 11:43 AM
You tipped us to lose against Melbourne, Essendon and West Coast in the first 3 rounds, now you are taking people to task for not tipping us to beat Collingwood and the Cats at sleepy hollow.

Go figure...

There you go again...

dimelb
26th June 2011, 11:58 AM
Like all Swans supporters I have my hopes ahead for an undefeated period for the calender month of July, leaving them with the second bye, on 11 wins 5 losses and a draw.

Adelaide Away. Until last year a real boogie side for the Swans. That great victory early last season where Ben McGlynn starred, threw away the stigma. This season, the Crows are playing poorly and the Swans are traveling well. Should be OK.

Gold Coast Away. Sydney's biggest danger here is over-confidence. The Swans must avoid being the first visiting team to lose at Carrara. Don't be be surprised that the first half is particularly tough. Sydney's greater experience and body strength should prevail in the second half.

Fremantle Home. The Dockers were at their peak last year when they won their first game in Sydney for over 14 years. They have slipped since then, and the Swans have marginally improved. Sydney will need a match fit Mummy back however, (along with an in-form Seaby), to match Sandilands.

Bulldogs Home. Their last three games, (including the narrow semi final loss at the MCG), point to a pendulum swing back to Sydney. My hope is that the Dogs are not completetely out of the running for the 8, whereupon they might be more relaxed than the Swans.

Moving into August/September, realistically, the only game that Sydney has no chance is Geelong at the Cattery. Consequently, up to four more wins are foreseeable.
Yeeaah! I'd like to see us get down and boogie with all these sides!

mcs
26th June 2011, 01:56 PM
I'll be very disappointed if we don't win all 4, but at very least we must win 3 of those games. We have a reasonably kind draw across the rest of the year, and if we can keep winning all the games we should, then imo we should finish 5th and get a 1st week home final. Top 4 is out of the question unless one of Carlton or Hawthorn really do fall apart over the 2nd half of the season, which looks very unlikely. If we play with intensity and put in real effort like last night every week, then we will win the next 4 games.

Triple B
26th June 2011, 02:01 PM
There you go again...

Pointing out your hypocricy ???

Guilty as charged....

GoSouth33
26th June 2011, 02:03 PM
What we saw last night with their endeavour was very good. It was a great effort to kick more goals than Collingwood. If they can continue to apply that intensity and lift our skill level to that which showed against the Lions we'll win more than we lose.

R-1
26th June 2011, 02:24 PM
I've had a terrible feeling all year that Gold Coast is finally going to string together 4 quarters of their best football against us. They're extremely dangerous for 17th on the ladder. I hope it doesn't happen.

Melbournehammer
26th June 2011, 02:27 PM
I hate this looking forward stuff. We are away against Adelaide which is no certainty, gold coast is playing good footy, and freo and the dogs are both more than capable.

Can we just go one week at a time and concentrate on eating Adelaide and let the rest of the season work itself out ?

Big Al
26th June 2011, 02:30 PM

The teams attitude... Yes

The supporters attitude... Not a rats arse of difference.

Oh and BBB is 100% correct on the irony of you having a go at people tipping against the Swans.

Cpt. Kirk
26th June 2011, 02:46 PM
I hate this looking forward stuff. We are away against Adelaide which is no certainty, gold coast is playing good footy, and freo and the dogs are both more than capable.

Can we just go one week at a time and concentrate on eating Adelaide and let the rest of the season work itself out ?

I am rather worried about Gold Coast and Adelaide perhaps more then Bulldogs or Fremantle, GC look very strong if they don't make silly mistakes they can match it with the best and i think that was best shown against geelong in the first half, freo we will beat without the giant, bulldogs are terrible should easily beat them, adelaide have a knack for putting in a good game every now and again i.e collingwood earlier in the year. Anyway looking forward as to what transpires over the next month.

dimelb
26th June 2011, 05:46 PM
The one thing that will pretty much guarantee a loss is for the team to assume we will win. Look what happened with Melbourne last season. And I'm sure they are aware of it.
We fans, on the other hand, can assume anything that comes into our empty heads!

Xie Shan
26th June 2011, 07:33 PM
We'll win enough games to finish 5th or 6th and get a home final, and be eliminated in the second week of the finals. Again.

Cheer Squad
26th June 2011, 07:40 PM
The teams attitude... Yes

The supporters attitude... Not a rats arse of difference.

Oh and BBB is 100% correct on the irony of you having a go at people tipping against the Swans.

Life is full of irony, isn't it?

I disagree with you on the issue of whether or not our supporters have a positive attitude. I think this is quite important - especially in a fickle market like Sydney - because it appears to be a key determinant as to whether our matches in Sydney are well-attended.

stellation
26th June 2011, 08:20 PM
We'll win enough games to finish 5th or 6th and get a home final, and be eliminated in the second week of the finals. Again.

Narf!

bandwagon
26th June 2011, 08:22 PM
One week at a time please. Always hopeful of a win, but rarely confident. Is that glass half empty or full??

Cheer Squad
26th June 2011, 08:33 PM

Can we just go one week at a time and concentrate on beating Adelaide and let the rest of the season work itself out ?

Good idea.

swansrule100
26th June 2011, 08:35 PM
everyones going to be on Adelaides case all week, bet they are fired up next week, this is no guaranteed win

Big Al
26th June 2011, 08:40 PM
Adelaide are a proud footy club so they'll be tough at home. We'll need to play well to beat them. However these are the games that good sides should be able to get up for.

Early tip will be the Swans by 3 goals unless of course Neil Craig gets sacked this week and then we're in BiGGGG trouble.

ugg
26th June 2011, 08:40 PM
Let's hope that Neil Craig isn't fired in the next few days. You always fear the new coach effect

dimelb
26th June 2011, 08:59 PM
Let's hope that Neil Craig isn't fired in the next few days. You always fear the new coach effect
Perhaps we could counter it by hiring him immediately (tongue in cheek here). I think he's a good coach.

Xie Shan
26th June 2011, 09:00 PM
Narf!

It's true, but!

Far from being NARF, I actually think it's pretty darn admirable what we have managed to do to stay in the top six.

People tend to only focus on the downside of not bottoming out, i.e. not getting access to high draft picks, but there is an upside too, it means that if we do happen to have a very good year (by our standards), we're suddenly back in top 4 contention again. Of course, this year hasn't been that year for us, and we still don't have the class of the current top 4, but what it means is that the Swans are a very effective barometer of where the competition is at, in that we'll tend to place higher in the weaker years but slip back a little bit (but still in the mix for the top 8) in the stronger years. Which is not a bad place to be, all things considered. We just need to make sure we keep improving and are ready to take our opportunities when the competition is more open.