PDA

View Full Version : Spangher

On-Baller
27th June 2011, 04:16 PM
Just wondering if some of the hardcore ressies followers could tell me a bit about whats happened with Spangher?

Is he ever likely to get a game,i see he kicked a few in the drubbing on the weekend.

I always seem to remember him playing around half back,is that where he lines up in the reserves?

Is he the rare exception of a player drafted by us who wont ever find a role?Is he even still on the senior list?

aardvark
27th June 2011, 04:18 PM
Just wondering if some of the hardcore ressies followers could tell me a bit about whats happened with Spangher?Is he ever likely to get a game,i see he kicked a few in the drubbing on the weekend,i always seem to remember him playing around half back,is that where he lines up in the reserves?Is he the rare exception of a player drafted by us who wont ever find a role?Is he even still on the senior list?

Have a look at the Ressies thread. Played well up forward this week apparently.

Triple B
27th June 2011, 04:25 PM
Has played back in his games so far this year, which haven't been many, probably 8 qrts all up before the weekend.

On Sat. he started down back as usual, but swung forward at 1/4 time and put on a clinic. Mind you, it was the type of day that any half decent player would look good.

My feelings are that he was recruited as backup to cover Craig Bolton if he didn't come up. Of course, Bolton didn't come up but Spangher was out with a quad injury. AJ grabbed the spot and hasn't looked back since.

He will be a handy backup if necessary, but I doubt he'll crack a spot this year unless injuries bite hard simply because from what I gather he had barely any pre-season and would find it tough in the seniors.

Next year after a good pre-season he may press for a spot.

All IMO of course.

AnnieH
27th June 2011, 04:27 PM
I spoke with him after the game on Saturday.
He kicked a bag of 6 for the ressies .... TDL kicked 9.
He's just ITCHING to get a look in at the seniors - he says he's superfit and ready to go.

On-Baller
27th June 2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys,i didnt realise he had the quad injury.

Nice to know we do have that back up option,and its someone with heaps of experience.

ugg
27th June 2011, 05:37 PM
He's a lot more athletic than I had given him credit for - covers the ground well for a big man (195cm) He's got a bit more size than Grundy or Craig Bolton so maybe he's the long term replacement for LRT to handle those gorillas?

wolftone57
27th June 2011, 05:42 PM
Ooooh! I'm getting goosebumps. I love to see all the talls getting well as it will be good for later in the season when finals time comes on.

On-Baller
27th June 2011, 05:49 PM
Would you guys say Chris McKaigue is ahead or behind Spangher in a chance to play this season?

Is the irishmen a Kennelly clone or is he bigger and more likely to play on the big men?

Triple B
27th June 2011, 07:37 PM
Spangher is way ahead of McKaigue.

McKaigue is a project and will no doubt get another year, his improvement from this time last year is HUGE. However Spangher is a bona fide footballer with lots of first team experience.

As for size, McKaigue is on the slight side and will never be expected to play on the gorilla forwards.

Kirkari
27th June 2011, 07:56 PM
Not to mention the "Spangher Strut", so named by (I think) Al, on here a few weeks ago. The Tony Manero of the 20teens.

stellation
27th June 2011, 08:02 PM
I like Spangher quite a bit, I always thought he was pretty capable and a decent defender with the Weagles. I was suprised when he was available so easily, he's only just turned 24.

Primmy
27th June 2011, 08:22 PM
He wasn't rated much as a backman in WA, I think injured quite a bit. He is very flat backed so was a bit surprised to see how low down to the ground he is willing to go to fight for the ball. I liked him up forward where he was playing on the weekend. He is a good safe mark. He reads the flight well. He can kick straight. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another first rate recycler.

Jewels
27th June 2011, 09:26 PM
Not to mention the "Spangher Strut", so named by (I think) Al, on here a few weeks ago. The Tony Manero of the 20teens.

We haven't had a strutter since Davo, I'm soooooooo looking forward to getting to a ressies game soon to see it in person!

Big Al
27th June 2011, 09:55 PM

That was BBB... I was too busy wanting to drink Powerade to notice.

Kirkari
27th June 2011, 10:00 PM

Oh yes, now I recall the thread. Tsk, tsk. Sorry BBB.

Triple B
28th June 2011, 08:19 AM
I may have alluded to it here, but I didn't come up with it at the game, somebody else did.

Like BigAl, I was dreaming of Powerade showers...

giant
28th June 2011, 08:21 AM
I like Spangher quite a bit, I always thought he was pretty capable and a decent defender with the Weagles. I was suprised when he was available so easily, he's only just turned 24.

I remember watching us belt the Eagles last year and thinking "That Spangher may be the least talented AFL footballer I've ever seen." Let's hope he can deliver a Woosha-like transformation!!

stellation
28th June 2011, 08:45 AM
I remember watching us belt the Eagles last year and thinking "That Spangher may be the least talented AFL footballer I've ever seen." Let's hope he can deliver a Woosha-like transformation!!

I certainly didn't think he was a super talent or anything, I just remember catching a couple of Weagles games and him doing well in some one on one contests. I also caught a game vs. Tiggers a couple of years ago when he was absolutely on fire.

giant
28th June 2011, 09:16 AM
I certainly didn't think he was a super talent or anything, I just remember catching a couple of Weagles games and him doing well in some one on one contests. I also caught a game vs. Tiggers a couple of years ago when he was absolutely on fire.

To be fair, that was the first time I'd really noticed him and the Eagles were friggin horrid that game. Now apparently they're flag hopefuls, so miracle metamorphoses can happen. I just particular recall it coz it is quite rare for me to come away from a game thinking about how poor an opposition player is - I'm usually too busy bagging my own!

Kirkari
30th June 2011, 12:15 AM
Even standing still he's got a certain jive going on...

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/multimedia/tabid/8664/contentid/367914/default.aspx

dimelb
30th June 2011, 12:39 AM
My Eagles fan son tells me his nickname used to be Clanger. But it sounds as if we can hope for another ugly duckling into Swan transformation.

Bleed Red Blood
30th June 2011, 12:56 AM
I think there's always a spot on a list for a guy of his size and versatility. And this guy has been in 'The System' he will have a good fitness foundation and knows the standard required to play AFL footy, I bet he's got a lot of improvement left. Smart recruiting.

Bas
30th June 2011, 10:25 AM

That was ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Al, you need to learn multi-skilling being a male. I noticed the Strut plus the fine qualities of the Powerade stand as well ! :)

Nico
30th June 2011, 05:45 PM
Wasn't he a fairly low draft pick, meaning top 20 or thereabouts?

Plugger46
30th June 2011, 05:57 PM
Wasn't he a fairly low draft pick, meaning top 20 or thereabouts?

In the 30's somewhere I think.

ScottH
30th June 2011, 07:41 PM
In the 30's somewhere I think.

34 in 2005 draft.
We got him with pick 73.

Red
30th June 2011, 11:55 PM
He's a lot more athletic than I had given him credit for - covers the ground well for a big man (195cm) He's got a bit more size than Grundy or Craig Bolton so maybe he's the long term replacement for LRT to handle those gorillas?
Hard to say Ugg. At least he won't have to worry about this particular gorilla again :)

tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUkoLn9NU_A)

neilfws
1st July 2011, 12:05 AM
Hard to say Ugg. At least he won't have to worry about this particular gorilla again :)

Brilliant - I've had that bit of vision in my mind ever since we signed Spangher, but I couldn't remember which game. All I had to go on was "wait, the guy from that one where the wussy weagle got flattened?"

Of course, he'll have toughened up since then :-)