PDA

View Full Version : Rohans best position

Auntie.Gerald
1st July 2011, 09:46 AM
Given Gazza is coming back the next few weeks..........I though a post on our no6 pick was ripe and ready this week !

Do you think the Coaching dept knows the long term plan for what position works best for Gary ?

What position do you think he should play the remainder of the year given AJ's rise up on the flanks ?

When I look at Collingwood their greatest strength is their back line......their counter attack with Leon, Maxwell, Harry and especially Shaw

I still believe that Rohan could play a style of footy similar to Heath Shaw and that would help our team the most...........especially now that Kennelly is not as quick as he used to be and our Shaw is tagging in the midfield

I also like the idea of Rohan on the HFF as he was the no1 most accurate kick in the Draft etc and he is very dangerous on a turn one on one.

I dont think he will be fit enough for midfield !

Bloody Hell
1st July 2011, 03:49 PM
Best Position = on the field.

He will hopefully end up in the midfield - so he'll be blooded as a tagger till all creative flair within him is strangled out. But don't think we'll see much of him this year, missed a fair bit of footy.

wolftone57
1st July 2011, 04:02 PM
Half Back to start with & then into the mids when he really gets the hang of the game again. I think in years to come our wingers could be very fast, Rohan on one & Jetta on the other.

S120
1st July 2011, 04:30 PM
I'd put him straight into the forward line when he's ready to play seniors. We don't need another defender (be it as a rebounder or a lock down type). We need skill up forward. Put him on the HFF (letting him push onto the wing every now and then), tell him to chase and tackle til his heart's content and set him up there.

He's a strong mark and is getting bigger. Perfect 3rd tall IMO. Starting to set up a really proper forward line structure with TDL and Rohan in that mix.

F: TDL White McGlynn
HF: Rohan Reid Bolton/ROK/Goodes

He'll be a wingman for the long term I think pushing into the middle, but for now I'd be setting him up as a forward. The Swans love to teach the young guys to defend as early as possible so I'm not too hopeful of this happening this year anyway.

Auntie.Gerald
1st July 2011, 05:16 PM
"Rohan has been named in a formidable half-back line which also features Lewis Johnston, returning from duty with the seniors against Collingwood last weekend, and Campbell Heath, who is continuing to improve with each game in his return from off-season LARS surgery on his knee."

Rohan's reserves return - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/117563/default.aspx)

ScottH
1st July 2011, 05:42 PM
I'd like to see him start as a half back flanker, where he can use some of his run and carry as well as being a good target up forward.
A bit like Macca played on Sat night.
Which hopefully will lead into rotating through the midfield.
The a permanent role in the midfield!!

Triple B
1st July 2011, 06:10 PM
I'd put him straight into the forward line when he's ready to play seniors. We don't need another defender (be it as a rebounder or a lock down type). We need skill up forward. Put him on the HFF (letting him push onto the wing every now and then), tell him to chase and tackle til his heart's content and set him up there.

He's a strong mark and is getting bigger. Perfect 3rd tall IMO. Starting to set up a really proper forward line structure with TDL and Rohan in that mix.

F: TDL White McGlynn
HF: Rohan Reid Bolton/ROK/Goodes

He'll be a wingman for the long term I think pushing into the middle, but for now I'd be setting him up as a forward. The Swans love to teach the young guys to defend as early as possible so I'm not too hopeful of this happening this year anyway.

I agree with all that.

I'd back him in to be able to play a Steve Johnson type role.

Bloody Hell
1st July 2011, 06:11 PM
I think in reality he'll play as a flanker, probably both forward and back.

ernie koala
1st July 2011, 06:49 PM

Yep, agree with this.

Kirkari
1st July 2011, 08:28 PM
Heeee's baaaaaack.... at least in the ressies.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/117563/default.aspx

Good luck, GMT!

GongSwan
1st July 2011, 10:52 PM

Yep, this seems likely to me, wandering around between hf and hb, very versatile and the speed we were looking for

Nich
1st July 2011, 11:33 PM
Half Forward - please end the debate now. He is an attacking player. Great kick for goal. He needs to be attacking the ball - not trying to watch his opposing player. You can see it in the frees he gives away as a defender. He wants the ball in his hands no matter what. FORWARD LINE. Horse I hope you're reading this.

Cpt. Kirk
2nd July 2011, 12:29 AM

I disagree, later in his career he will play as an outside mid, which we most definitely lack, as far as i know Mitchell is a inside mid but can play outside.
Or future looks good atm, barring long term injuries i really do see us challenging for the flag in the next 5 years.

Midfield: Mumford, Kennedy, Rohan, Mitchell, McVeigh.
Forwards: Johnston, Reid, (Need a key forward), Mcglynn.
Backs: Johnson, Grundy, Sumner, Smith.

As much as i would love to see it, i don't think Jetta has the drive and the determination to be the player that his skills should allow him to be, but that is judging from the outside without much knowledge of his workrate around the club.

Bloody Hell
2nd July 2011, 03:21 AM
I disagree, later in his career he will play as an outside mid, which we most definitely lack, as far as i know Mitchell is a inside mid but can play outside.
Or future looks good atm, barring long term injuries i really do see us challenging for the flag in the next 5 years.

Midfield: Mumford, Kennedy, Rohan, Mitchell, McVeigh.
Forwards: Johnston, Reid, (Need a key forward), Mcglynn.
Backs: Johnson, Grundy, Sumner, Smith.

As much as i would love to see it, i don't think Jetta has the drive and the determination to be the player that his skills should allow him to be, but that is judging from the outside without much knowledge of his workrate around the club.

Of course he'll end up in the midfield. If you read my posts I said "he will hopefully end up in the midfield."...as the long term plan, but short term ie. when he returns from injury - he will play forward and back on the flanks.

Actually, I don't think I made that as clear as I thought I did.