PDA

View Full Version : Ryan O'Keefe's set shot goalkicking is completely reliable.

Velour&Ruffles
2nd July 2011, 11:27 PM
I wish I meant this as a compliment, but I don't.

He should permanently play midfield or defence. Get him the hell out of the forward line. Stamp his papers "not to cross the forward 50m line". He kicked a good bomb from distance but when we need him to kick a simple shot from 25 metres out he fails time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again.

swansprincess
2nd July 2011, 11:39 PM
One of many, unfortunately. Yet the goalkicking list in the reserves every week, suggests there are genuine forwards capable of kicking accurately. Blame the selesction pannel.

CJK
2nd July 2011, 11:46 PM
But he is terrible in the midfield, he just throws in the boot, it goes high, whomever we are playing picks if off and rebounds.

Happens 80% of the time.

He must have have the 'best' kick to opposition stat in the game. If he was playing for the Crows tonight we would have won.

No 14
2nd July 2011, 11:51 PM
I think you are a bit harsh. He is one of the best left foot kicks in the league. Like most swannies his kicking from set shots can be a lot better.

Margie
2nd July 2011, 11:56 PM
He's not the only one bombing it long, it must be a team instruction.

I think ROK is one of our better players this year.

Velour&Ruffles
3rd July 2011, 12:22 AM
He's not the only one bombing it long, it must be a team instruction.

I think ROK is one of our better players this year.

I wasn't criticising him for the bomb. The bomb was good. And I don't dispute that he is hard at it, courageous, knows how to get the pill, great tank, supports his team mates - in fact does many good things.

But he is an absolutely crap set shot for goal and misses critical kicks time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again. 25 metres out directly in front I'd rather have Susan Boyle kicking for my life. It is time for him to play in another position.

ugg
3rd July 2011, 12:28 AM
While I'm in a blaming mood, the uncontested mark he dropped from the kick-in and then the fresh airy after that was just woeful. We need some forward structure, he wasn't half bad there in 05-06 so why not put him back there? (kicking for goal notwithstanding)

AnnieH
3rd July 2011, 10:57 AM
Ryano used to be soooooooooooooo good at kicking goals.

What happened???

I can't believe it, but I have more faith in Jude kicking a goal these days!!

AnnieH
3rd July 2011, 10:59 AM
One of many, unfortunately. Yet the goalkicking list in the reserves every week, suggests there are genuine forwards capable of kicking accurately. Blame the selesction pannel.

You have to remember that the ressies are professional footballers and their opposition are not.

swansprincess
3rd July 2011, 11:13 AM
You have to remember that the ressies are professional footballers and their opposition are not.

I don't think it matters who the opposition are or how good they are when converting goals. Sure, it is harder to get the ball forward and to create scoring opportunities against a better side, but no matter who the opposing side is the goals are kicked with the same skill, through the two posts.

AnnieH
3rd July 2011, 12:10 PM
I don't think it matters who the opposition are or how good they are when converting goals. Sure, it is harder to get the ball forward and to create scoring opportunities against a better side, but no matter who the opposing side is the goals are kicked with the same skill, through the two posts.

Sure, it's the same skill.
Although, I'm sure it's much harder to kick a goal with 45,000 collingwood supporters breathing down your neck, for instance.

The only noise at the ressies game yesterday was me, the little kids near me, and the car horns blowing when tuggs kicks a goal.

Triple B
3rd July 2011, 12:13 PM
I doubt you can compare goalkicking skills/accuracy in the 2's with the seniors.

Set shot goalkicking is 90% between the ears and the pressure a TDL would be under kicking for his 8th goal of the half in the 2's with a 10 goal lead would certainly be well down the pressure scale than kicking for the lead in the last quarter of a seniors match.

That said, I'd be far happier having the ball in TDL's hands than ROK in that situation. He has been poor for many years. It appears as he became an elite player, his kicking for goal appeared to regress. Just weird.

swansprincess
3rd July 2011, 12:25 PM
The point is still the same; we need reliable goal kickers.

Triple B
3rd July 2011, 12:26 PM
The point is still the same; we need reliable goal kickers.

And nobody is disputing your point...

Big Al
3rd July 2011, 08:12 PM
Set shot goalkicking is 90% between the

If you need a demonstration of that look no further than Lindsay Thomas. He needs a shrink fair dinkum.

Bexl
3rd July 2011, 08:22 PM
I have seen LJ play 2 games as a forward (north and collingwood pre season) and both times he kicked a goal from 50m near the boundary. Pretty good for first games in ps and main season. TDL kicked 60 goals in perth 2 years ago.
These are the players I want on our forward line.

Bloody Hell
4th July 2011, 05:46 AM
He used to be a " dead eye dick!"...a goal kicking coach wouldn't go astray.

Mike_B
11th September 2011, 10:05 AM
May have been unreliable through most of the season, but gee didn't he stand up last night with his set shots when we needed him to.

Jewels
11th September 2011, 10:54 AM
May have been unreliable through most of the season, but gee didn't he stand up last night with his set shots when we needed him to.

He was magnificent last night. His best game since his B & F year.

mcs
11th September 2011, 02:59 PM
Play it again next week Ryan - great technique and kicking last night, none of them looked like missing. Just what we needed - ROK has been superb in the last month, he has really stood up to be counted.

Velour&Ruffles
11th September 2011, 03:07 PM
I'd love him to make a fool of me next week too.....and the week after....and the week after.

CJK
11th September 2011, 03:42 PM
I've been calling for his head most of the season. Glad no one listens to me.

Nolie
11th September 2011, 04:24 PM
He must simply just love and lift when he plays St Kilda in a final. Did the same in the 2005 Preliminary Final.

Lucky Knickers
11th September 2011, 09:09 PM
Agree Nolie. He was like the Ryan of old with those long kicks from 50!

Nich
11th September 2011, 09:14 PM
If there is one thing about Ryan - when the heat comes on he puts his hand up. Great sign of a real competitor.